Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk 3 stars

100 Passaic Avenue, Harrison, NJ 07029, USA

#2 of 2 hotels in Harrison

• Suite with Spa Bath

The breakfast quality leaves much to be desired, but this is no fault of the staff. That is a chain/corporate issue. Corporate needs to update the description and pictures on their website. This property underwent renovations and they don't have a 1 bedroom suite, which is what we had booked according to the description and pictures. Also the Jacuzzi tub didn't work. ( in fairness we didn't report it either, because they had been so accommodating in other respects)

The staff however were absolutely wonderful. We booked a suite for our family and it was different that want we had expected, the staff went out of their way to make the appropriate accommodations (moved a chair to our room), to ensure our comfort.

• Suite with Spa Bath

Pool wasn’t open and for breakfast you had to make your own waffles which would have been cool if everyone there wasn’t trying to do that

Staff was great, everything was very clean

• Queen Room

Everything was quite comfortable.Shuttle form the hotel to Penn station helped a lot to keep the commute to Newyork very simple.Lot of options in the breakfast.

• Queen Room

The main reason for me staying at the hotel was I needed a place to stay temporarily. I picked this location mostly because of the pool. When I checked in I asked information about the pool. At no time was I advised the pool was closed for repairs :/ I found out until the next morning when taking my kids to the pool area. When I went to the customer service area to ask why no one said anything the day before the Rep responded we do not sell the pool so it was closed down due to repairs. Which wasnt comforting either.

I like the room was clean and nice. Breakfast was good too.

• Queen Room

Asked for adjoining rooms when I booked the rooms months in advance but when I checked in I was told we couldn’t get them.

Nice big bathroom. Comfy bed and pillows. Breakfast was good, coffee not so much. Loved the fact we could use the shuttle but not happy about some of the long waits for it.

Really NOTHING!!!

Overall excellent: free safe parking, Free super unlimited breakfast of every kind, very clean & comfortable room with very very clean bathroom & comfortable Queen bed (beds). Fridge, Air condition etc. Goodness! almost forgot free shuttle to Newark Airport. Finally, The staff I could brag about them for ever. I'll stay there again & again & again

• Suite with Spa Bath

Was woken up earlier than expected by a knock on the door due to renovations

The staff was very helpful, the spa tub was awesome and the room was beautifully

Just needs small maintenance touch ups with the bathroom piping. I went to take a bath and the shower knob would not turn off. NO WORRIES! Maintenance and The front desk help got on it right away with accomodating with a new room and maintenance fixed the problem in the previous. They also followed up to make sure my new room was just fine.

Plumbing issues! Faucet in tub broke and had to have serviceman in my room while Getting dressed. They are under construction. Noise from workman was incredible!

Excellent staff and location and coffee!

The hotel is way overdue for some much needed up grades. Our room was uncomfortably warm without the heat even being on and we had to run the AC to keep the room cooler. With temps outside around 34 degrees we found that very strange. Our shower handle was a little finicky but water pressure was good. The toilets, when flushed we’re loud and would run for a few minutes before finally stopping.

The close proximity to the event we were attending was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable and the room and bath were very clean.

they charger me the full amount when i checked in. but when i checked out they charged me $50. Not explaining why it was taken from my account. But called back for the second time. Another employee explained that the hotel put $50 on hold and i will get it back in 3 to 5 days.

the room was clean and comfortable

• Queen Room

My family and I planned a family reunion for New Years Eve. Some flew in from South for the weekend. All was great except 3 things: 1. The placed seemed understaffed, especially for a holiday. 2. Fire alarms went off all night - this was the worst part as we obviously wanted to sleep after New Years eve partying! To make matters worse both the hotel and booking.com gave me a hard time with regards to compensation for this very unsafe issue - still awaiting resolution. 3. There was not enough parking, had to park a few blocks away - NOT GOOD for downtown Newark area.

Rooms were comfy and had fridge/microwave - def a plus. Pool was warm for winter use. Could have used towels though.

• Queen Room

The toilet kept making noise, and I had to put my own hand in the top part to stop it from making noise.

The view, the comfortable bed, and the spacing

There was a portable speaker at the pool which in all honesty was very low. Several guests looking into the pool area thought it was hotel provided and a good idea. A maintenance staff member, however, kept coming in complaining that he didn't like music while working. Another guest told him it wasn't about him and to go back to work.

The pool! Although my stay was during a snow storm, the temperature in the pool area was excellent!

• Queen Room

No room service is available and no one is there to help luggage to and from room. No water bottle where we were all thirsty after traveling more than 10 hrs. No proper breakfast

The room is big and quick check in check out procedure.

• King Studio

The staff was great until the morning of check-out. The new staff person was making a big deal about my reservation being done through Booking.com and how the bill should have been pre-paid. . . . I was really confused.

The Hampton always has a great vibe. Everything is always as I expect it to be when I arrive, check-in, and get to my room. The Hampton has everything I need - workout room, indoor swimming pool. Some say it's to expensive, but I say it's worth every penny.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Pictures made hotel look like a garden paradise. In fact it was in a very gritty, urban location with a train running close by. Overflow parking area looked dangerously remote. Wouldn't want to leave the car there. Window AC was noisy. Had fridge but it didn't work.

Coffee and tea available all the time. As were cookies and fruit. Very decent breakfasts. Staff was nice. Bed and bathroom areas felt clean and up to date.

• King Room - Disability Access

Site is at the railroad tracks. Trains don’t run much between midnight and 5:00 AM. Ear plug are available at front desk

Wonderful staff a very friendly and competent environment

This is the first time in all the times I have stayed at this hotel, that there was a problem with the water

I love the location. The staff are tremendous

• Queen Room

I really don't have any complaints!!

The breakfast was a bonus for my family! We didn't have to spend time and money looking for a place to eat before we started our day.

• Queen Room

Delicious and expansive breakfast, great location next to Newark Broad Street Station (although occasionally you can hear the trains in your room), and comfortable and clean rooms! Overall, great place !

• Queen Room

Excellent Breakfast with wide variety of options for every taste. The staff was the friendliest overall that I have encountered at a hotel. Highly recommend.

• Suite with Spa Bath

I was looking for a room with a jacuzzi but the Sauna bath tub worked out in the end.

Facility was very clean, staff was Awesome and very accomodating to my needs. My second stay and it was Awesome

The fact that I had to take a taxi because there was no answer at the front desk when I phoned to arrange for shuttle service to pick me up from the airport.

Room was clean and need.

An $50 additional hold was put on my debit card. Had I known I would have used a prepaid debit card. My bill was paid in full and I was not expecting this extra charge. I understand this is for security purposes (rather in case of damage to room). This put me in a position of inconvenience.

• Suite with Spa Bath

I didn’t like at night when we were trying to sleep, there is a night club across the river playing music so loud it shakes the room. This went on until 3am BOTH nights we stayed there. So that was a little frustrating. Also, there wasn’t much to do around the area unless you took a cab or something. Everything was pretty far away.

I loved the room, it was very clean and well taken care of. The bed was very comfortable, make sleeping away from home easier: the breakfast was good, they had a lot to choose from and the staff was excellent!

It's not in a very good area. We would not walk in the area after dark.

The hotel was clean, comfortable, efficient staff, free shuttle and the price was good.

Bathroom toilet ran constantly.. Location wasn't the greatest. Didn't feel like I could walk around the neighborhood safely.

The rooms were clean and the bed was really comfortable. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast offered many choices even sea weed wraps.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The first room we received on the 3rd floor smelled of urine, the refrigerator was broken and there were red stains on the off white sheer curtains. We were then given a second room on the 5th floor. The room was fine however we could not adjust the air from blowing because the dials were broken.

The breakfast

• Queen Room

The airport shuttle is unreliable.The hotel is in Harrison & doesnt have regular shuttles to the airport. Other hotels had shuttles every 7 minutes.Wewaited for 30minutes & tried calling the hotel but the reception ould hang up.When Jonathan picked up he said we would have to wait another 45 minutes due to the traffic(There was no traffic)When I complained he said that it was a complimentary shuttle & if we did not want to wait we could take a cab & pay ourselves.It was getting late & I informed that next morning I would like to speak to the general manager.hE ASKED ME TO TAKE A CAB & HE PAID.When I reached the hotel the driver of the van also arrived & he told me that he wasnt even asked to go to the airport & he was busy doing shuttles to the railway station.The hotel is good provided you dont need a shuttle to newark.

The rooms were spacious.Breakfast was congested but good

The A.C. didn't work very well and it was a very hot day. The pool was also very murky and dirty .

Very friendly staff, rooms were nice and clean. Great atmosphere.

• Queen Room

Employees were extremely friendly and helpful in giving information about the city, amenities that were available in the hotel. The rooms were clean and very comfortable.

We decided to save some money and utilize this hotel as our "home" during our visit to New York City. The staff at this hotel is incredible - so kind and so accommodating. The hotel offers on-site parking, which is an absolute plus, as one you park you can enjoy the free shuttle service to Newark-Penn where you can ride the transit trains into the city. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and breakfast delightful. I didn't eat the same meal twice during my four day stay. The pool was warm. Laundry facilities were exceptional - especially since I only had to run the dryer one time. If we ever decide to return to New Jersey/New York, this is our HOTEL!

• Queen Room

The eggs are horrible, the air conditioner in the room was not cold at all, even after adjusting it. The rugs were very dirty, the room has a foul smell and the outside of the building did not feel safe at all. We had to wait for the shuttle for 45 minutes. Will not stay again.

The pillows were great. The coffee was good.

• Queen Room

Bethany at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful in trying to get us into our room early. We really appreciated her efforts and her good nature as I know she was busy with check outs, phone calls, etc. Our room was comfortable and my husband appreciated having an ice machine available unlike some other hotels we stayed at.

The shuttle bus was poor. We had to call for pickup from airport and had long wait. Returning from NYC by train to Newark Penn station we were told shuttle would be 40 mins and better to walk or take taxi. There was no wifi signal in the rooms (and end of building) and could only get connected by standing outside of room. We reported this but no action. Disappointing start to US trip.

The breakfast was adequate and service staff for dining helpful.

• Queen Room

No complaints - Hamptons seem to provide the same level of comfort and service everywhere that I have used them.

Easy trip back and forth on hotel shuttle to the PATH rail terminal for a 30 minute ride to Manhattan.

The refrigerator in the room didn't work well. After turning it on it made clunking sounds and never got cold.

Excellent location. Good size room. Comfy bed. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

• Queen Room

Only one shuttle runs from EWR to hotel and small size of shuttle - our family of 4 had to wait an extra 45 minutes for the shuttle to return because we did not fit in our initial attempt. Shuttle doesn't start in morning until 5:30 am - so we had to take a taxi to catch an early flight out of EWR.

Very friendly and professional staff at front desk; very friendly shuttle driver; the breakfast packs provided at checkout (due to early flight). Taxi promised at 4:15 am was there waiting.

• Queen Room

While breakfast was abundantand quality of food satisfactory, the set up of breakfast buffet has problems that surface when dealing with high occupancy. Main issues where bottleneck created by waffle station (with one waffle maker faster than the other) and placement of tables creating problems for flow.

Staff was courteous and helpful. Location was excellent for attending a match at Red Bull Arena and having late dinner at Tops Diner. It is easily accessible, has onsite parking, and offers shuttle service.

• Queen Room

Not the best neighborhood the trains were noisy at night. The canal water is filthy the pictures of the exterior of the hotel iare deceptive.

The staff and pleasant attitudes were fantastic the hotel was very clean and everyone was accommodating.

• Queen Room

Dirty river view. Poor lighting in room. Difficult to call hotel for airport shuttle from airport T3 as hotel is not listed in the FOC shuttle call service since Harrison is out of Newark area code.

Ample parking space. Big comfortable bed.

• King Room - Disability Access

Hotel had no record of my booking when I arrived. Initially they had no other available rooms. Eventually a room became available but it cost $100 more than my booking with Booking.com. It took nearly 2 hours to sort the matter out. Found Booking.com hard to contact, took 25 minutes to get through each time.

Comfortable and well located to the airport

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

They could not locate my reservation not once but consistently as I called throughout the day. I was told they would have s room ready early as I was in for a funeral and each time including well after checkout it took great difficulty for them to locate my reservation. I ended up not getting a room until after 5pm. Very, very stressful

Hotel super clean and very comfortable room.

Cost of public transport into new york

Breakfast was great, facilities were really good, staff were very helpful. Free shuttle to train whenever we wanted was great, also free pick up at station up to 11pm was very convenient. Only negative for us was that we flew into JFK airport, so it was a long trip over by public transport as the shuttle didn't go to that airport, which we didn't realise at that time. Cost of trains daily isn't New York for tourism was more than I expected, which made the location less than ideal, but overall we were really happy. I'd be happy to recommend this place, and to stay at another Hampton Inn again.

The pillows were too soft.

The beds were comfortable, the breakfast was great. Trevor, Carl, Carlos, and Edgar were awesome. So was other staff. The free shuttle was the icing on the cake.

• King Studio

Furniture is dated & worn with holes in the sofa. Needs updating and upgrading

Bed was okay. For king size bed in a suite accommodation, the pillows need some improvement

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Queen Room

Bed was way too soft. No support after 5 minutes. Back pain after center of waist sunk in the middle. Could not sleep at all.

Free breakfast and swimming pool and gym.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• King Studio

I loved our stay here. The staff was friendly and our room was very clean. The bed was so unbelievably comfortable I didn't want to get up on some mornings. Location is fantastic. You can get an Uber or taxi to the Harrison path train or Newark Penn Station and be in NYC in about 30 minutes. If you like meat, you'll love the Ironbound area, which is about 10 minutes away and has great Brazilian / Portuguese all-you-can-eat steakhouses. Also very close to the Red Bull Stadium. The price was comparatively low to other hotels in the same are. When we arrived to the hotel on Wednesday evening, there was free food and drinks (including alcohol), which is something they do every Wednesday. Free breakfast was also included. Overall, our stay was wonderful and I would definitely come back here the next time we're in Jersey.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• King Room - Disability Access

Promised an EWR shuttle...but stopped running it at 11 PM. Did not let us know about this when I called a week before to confirm shuttle phone/details ..including asking specifically in advance about a 11 PM -- Midnight arrival time. Declined to pay for cab.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Front desk agent Edward.. was very rude and unprofessional. i had a fifty dollar unauthorized charged on my card and Edward was unable to explain the reason why my card was charged. I didn't sign any paper work stating I will be charged $50. I asked if he could email the receipt regarding the charge and he told he couldn't send me a receipt. I am very disappointed and will report this unauthorized charge to my bank.

it was clean

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Queen Room

Room is outdated Did not find out how to use the bath tub Hotel is far from everything, located next to roads with heavy traffic and railway tracks. Stuffy carpets

The shuttle bus drivers are great, friendly, knowledgeable Idem for the kitchen staff. Nice breakfast! Front desk at check-in: very professional, at check-out: unfriendly and unprofessioal

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Queen Room

The shuttle service - they are prompt and always available to take you to Newark Airport or the station. Staff is super friendly and approachable. Breakfast is very good plus there's coffee all day near lobby. There's dunkin donuts, popeyes within barely 5 min walk. Rooms are big and spacious.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

No complaints!

Airport and train station shuttle. Proximity to NYC and Newark Airport. Lovely walkway along the river. Excellent staff, nice facilities, would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Queen Room

The location is too close to railway line so the noise level was very annoying. I not choose to stay there again for this reason alone.

Room was very good except noise from fridge.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Queen Room

You could inform the customers that the shuttle from the airport does not work without calling for it after arriving. Other hotels had information and direct free phonelines for that.

Excellent breakfast. A nice idea to have happy hours on Wednesdays.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• King Room - Disability Access

The breakfast was very crowded and the last night we had a soccer team staying who made prank calls to our room and ran through the halls. I called staff to address and they did not.

The room was comfortable and clean. The staff was also very helpful. Easy to get to area locations and the shuttle was a nice way to travel.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Suite with Spa Bath

I book a room with whirlpool and pay extra for that but they give me a room with out whirlpool and change me the same the lady at the front desk if you not call her manager she was real mean

The coffee is good and lots of it I don't eat breakfast

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Only issue I would say was when the hotel is full parking is at a premium. Hotel is situated in an area with just barely enough room. We had no problem every the first day.

Location was close to where we needed to be. The room was excellent, we were very comfortable.

• King Room - Disability Access

It's no fault of the hotel, but parking can be difficult. They do have a private parking lot, but it was entirely full when we were there. We did end up getting the last available spot.

The breakfast bar was phenomenal. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The staff was excellent and very kind. The rooms were very clean. It was an overall great experience. I would recommend this particular hotel to anyone.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• King Studio

I didn't like that I had to leave, My stay is always pleasurable

I like that I can always check in early and have never been disappointed in my room

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

It was fully booked the weekend I was there, which staff mentioned was unusual. They could offer an additional area with free breakfast. The breakfast line gets crowded around 8:30.

This was the best deal for the location. They offered free parking. Although parking was overcrowded, they made sure everyone had a place to park. They also offered free breakfast which was excellent!

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Queen Room

Breakfast area was a little crowded in the morning could have had a little bigger area for the food and drink area but the brakfast was good

The staff at the front desk was very helpful with directions and maps of the city. The shuttle and shuttle drivers were great and arrived to pick us up from Penn Station within ten minutes of calling. Very clean room and comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Slow elevator but other then that little thing it was all great.

I liked everything. The bed was comfortable the room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was actually good. The view of the planes flying, the train, new York skyline. It was just a nice night

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Kinda far from stations however they did provide an excellent shuttle service.

Fantastic support from duty Manager Bethany who answered all our questions pre our stay and during the stay.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• King Studio

There was quite a bit of street noise on the hotel rooms that were street-side, but not much you can control about that. Also, the curtains did not "blackout" all the way. The inner curtains were see-through at night and the thick curtains did not shut to cover the entire window.

The room was much bigger than I expected and very clean! Overall the hotel was very well-kept and the staff were all friendly. The shuttle driver will also help you get to any place nearby and pick you up if you don't want to drive.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Queen Room

The bathroom really needs to be looked at and updated and/or worked on. The pool was not very clean.

The beds were big, clean and comfortable. We really liked the free shuttle which took us back and forth from the Prudential center and Penn Station. This was really helpful.

• Suite with Spa Bath

Great experience. The kids never got out of the pool

marginal bed my little ring was stolen from the bathroom counter

the shuttle service

• King Studio

Way over priced. Harrison NJ is a dump. The staff had no clue how to print a damn receipt. Will never stay there again.

• King Studio

I just don't like the fact that the pool is not working. So we couldn't use the pool during the stayed. That makes everything bored to me

That the pool was not up running.

The bed was very comfortable,the room was nice witha nice view.

• Queen Room

A little bit far from nyc. Surrounding area not really safe

Awesome and considerate Staff

• Suite with Spa Bath

The location and the bed was very confortable

The a