Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Staten Island 3 stars

1120 South Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA

#3 of 9 hotels in Staten Island

Queen suite with two queen beds and a sofa This is the room that I was renting at at time of my stay. Queen Suite with two Queen beds, and a sofa bed, there were no more than six people within my party which is allowed with two queen beds, and a sofa bed according to law. This is my family that I was traveling with at the time of my stay, at the time of eviction it was myself and a family member. There was no criminal activity or altercation that I was being accused of at the time of my stay, this is very insulting and embarrassing and is straight discrimination. I did not cause any misconduct that would violate hotel policies. I inquired for the hotel policy in writing which stated that guests were to be registered that was never provided by Nicole Costanza guest service agent. She than got extremely aggravated and aggressively started yelling at me “you know what I want you out of here” and the police was called on me for a policy/rule that was made up by Nicole Costanza (guest service agent). According to Tiffany Billions Hilton guest agent which I had on the phone. Tried to tell Nicole Costanza that it was not Hilton’s policy to register guests within any of their hotels. Nicole Constanta behavior was unnecessary and outlandish and she overstepped her boundaries with her professionalism and violated my first amendment rights to free association. Therefore, this is Notice as well as constructive legal notice that violations of liberty fees that can be accessed, and applied to this particular case in the amount of $250,000 USD. Please feel free to contact via email during regular business hours. Thank You Respectfully, Ibrahim Annan Bey.

Renovations is going on at this hotel so there is no pool at this time and on the weekdays you get here the guys upstairs drilling or doing the work

The breakfast was great the rooms was on a clean and fresh

No one was at the front desk when I walked in, i had to wait to check in. It was around 1 am but I in a way expected it.

The cleanliness and comfort of the room. The bed was soft and I enjoyed sleeping because I was very tired from a long drive.

• King Room with Study

The stairwell door on the first floor was hard to open. It got stuck often. There were two front desk ladies that weren't great. Sidewalk hadn't been treated or cleared in the snow. Very slippery leaving in the snow. No room safe to put valuables. Exhaust fan didn't work in the bathroom so it was left muggy after showers. Rethink fruit salad. It was overly acidic and no flavor. Maybe because most of the fruit was out of season. It was the only thing I didn't like about breakfast.

The food was great for breakfast. A lot of options. Everything was the right temperature. Even though it was under construction it was quiet. Clean. No pests. Well lit. Convenient location to all the places I needed to be. Most of the staff was amazing. Room was huge compared to what I was expecting. Digital thermostat is awesome. Updated fixtures and counter. Mini fridge and microwave. More channels than most hotels. Handicap access so I didn't struggle on bad days with any access to anything in the hotel. The little market section. I didn't need to use it but I saw people that did and that was awesome. The music! I loved the music selection. It was like listening to my personal music station. So much variety and not just boring muszak stuff most places play. It was the first thing I noticed. Loved it! Housekeeping and breakfast support staff were fantastic!! They were super friendly, accommodating, knowledgeable, and just amazing. I love that so many are bilingual! I saw them help a family that was lost and confused about a few things. Being able to speak their language was so helpful. They were all terrific!

Even the staff of the guess when they see you they say hi. The breakfast was what I expected to be in more. The housekeeping that I had she was awesome she made sure that everything was clean even my stuff that was in the bathroom.

free coffee all day ( 3.21.2018 ), we had a snowstorm that day so the coffee was good to warm me up. good strong internet in lobby and rooms. bed was good and comfortable, The room heater was great. Check in was fast and very early didn't have to wait until 3:00pm like most hotels do.... Checkout was very fast also. Overall great place - 1-10 give it a 9.5.... Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• King Room with Bathtub - Mobility/Hearing Accessible

We chose the hotel, because we had good experience during Christmas vacation few weeks ago. At times food wasn't ready... such as banana (green) and eggs. Bathroom wasn't ready... sink being clogged. Worker open the door while I was getting dressed, I heard "I am sorry" the door closing. large window was dirty. Swimming poor is not ready for the customer.

• King Room with Study

The WiFi kept going in and out.

The convenience of the facility to where we have to go and the breakfast. They always honor my request to be on the parking lot side of the building.

• King Room with Study

Due to new software install no room keys, staff had to let you in and out of rooms, really should have got some kind if discount for this. Other than that all was well, . The staff was friendly and courteous

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

Customer service was horrible! The GM was beyond rude! Not to mention the room we were in had bed bugs!!! Very poor service and poorly handled. Had to call owners to be taken care of!

It's amazing property, from the attentive staff to comfortable room and excellent breakfast. The location right on the bus line and free shuttle to the Newark airport. They had free bag breakfast to take with you if you didn't have time for breakfast. The room price was great for New York.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

Hallway was so chilly. It's the coldest area in New York City at this time. Echoed by several residents while we discussed. Around 7 AND 8 AM, our door was knocked so vigously to wake us up. We were told since we did not have the 'Do not disturb' sign up. But there is no 'please make the bed' sign and our supposed check out time is 12 pm. Why they are so enthusiastic to get in so early to clean? We have traveled all over the world with different categories of hotels /motels. We have never experienced this situation as far as we remember.

Air Con was a little on the cold side in the corridors.

bedroom was spacious with a king bed which was very comfortable. Good size bathroom. Friendly helpful staff on the Front Desk. Nice to have a free shuttle service to the S.I. Ferry

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

pool was always closed, so the kids were really disapointed, plus was raining so we couldn't do anything, just stay in room!! wifi horrible also!! bad

Hallways was very cold, but i'm not a air condition type guy. So that's more of my problem than hotels problem.

rooms were very big. Lots of lights, charging station next to bed.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

The room's door was closing automatically, but did not secure by itself and needed to be pulled with hand.

Approach to this accommodation had the letters love in red structure which made the guests stop by to get memorable snaps of their stay. Kids love to enjoy indoor pool during summer. Love its location

The AC unit proved hard to read as several times we thought it was properly set until we realized, waking up in a sweat, it was actually turned off - me bad. The property appeared like new and it was very easy to find coming onto the island on the 440 from the south.

The breakfast was wonderful and a bit varied, but with so many options. Also the free shuttle to the ferry was good when it could work for us with our things to do while in town so we could only use it once in the three days we went to the ferry and back and the drivers each way were really wonderful and fun tour guides.

• King Room with Study

The front desk staff was not helpful and rude. The fact that the shuttle was shared with hotel next door, and had to be booked days in advance. The breakfast was not very good. Parking at the ferry was not for large vehicles.

Not much.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

We were fortunate to book here. It's an easy drive to the FREE Staten Island ferry which provides access to Manhattan and all the famous attractions. Huge room, well worth the money especially if u have a family.

• King Room with Study

When we arrived, the receptionist could not find our reservation on her computer even though I had my original printout with confirmation number from the day I made I made it, and a reminder email which I received a few days before the date of our stay. She didn't explain anything to us, but kept tapping on her keyboard until she found a room for us (408). When we arrived, the room was stifling, drawers in all the furniture were pulled out, and cushions from the couch were on the floor between the wall and couch. Otherwise, the room was clean and up to standard. Our reservation was for "a king bed with study." I assumed a "study" would be a second room since the hotel is billed as Hampton Inn AND SUITES. On our departure, I asked the receptionist what your definition of a study was and she told me it was "a pull out couch" which we really didn't need since there were only two of us. We were only in our room a few minutes when there was a knock on our door. It was a member of the maintenance staff who told my husband that he thought our room was supposed to be empty and then left with no further explanation. When we were ready to leave the room for the event we planned to attend, we couldn't get out. No matter how hard I pulled on the door, I couldn't open it (I'm recovering from hand surgery, so my husband attributed it to my weakened strength). However, it took him several tugs to finally get it open. I was going for the phone to call the front desk to send someone up to get us out when the door finally gave way. We are not the type to complain and make a fuss. Apart from this survey, you probably would never have heard from us again. We would just find another hotel the next time the need would arise.

The breakfast area was the best I've ever experienced. It was clean, spacious, well designed, and had plenty of seating to accommodate single guests to groups, and family groups as well. The food selections of both hot and cold, prepared and fresh, was a pleasant surprise.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

We enjoyed our stay very much and have no complaints.

Breakfast was great! There was something new every morning...was nice not to have the same breakfast everyday. Staff was very pleasant!!! Enjoyed our stay!!!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

The bathroom seem to have an issue because it had wall patches everywhere. Really. get a better facility person. It looks like a novice patched the bathroom . That was definitely disappointing for a $200 room. And also the microwave cord did not reach the plug we had to remove the microwave put on the floor to plug it on and to use it. The other issue was breakfast they did not have boiled egg. At 8am in the morning they had already run out of hard-boiled eggs. Since I'm dairy- free tbere we're no protein options. Very disappointing. It was a carbohydrates fest.

The gym was great. The mattress was awesome. May purchase mattress.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

There is not much to do around the hotel, although there is a bus stop near (5min walk).

Excellent staff, very kind and helpful. Room was big, clean and comfortable. Free breakfast was excellent and there was always plenty for all. Free shuttle to the ferry is a plus (must book ahead of time).

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• King Room with Study

There was an extra fee in my account that I didn't know anything about. I am still waiting for my bank to release the funds back into my account. I think we should be notified in advance of all fees that will be taken out, and when they will be taken out

The staff was very friendly. They went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• King Room with Study

The wifi was extremely slow. My credit card was charged twice for the same transaction, twice. I had it reversed and then the Hampton Inn charged it again.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

I had a queen two- bed suite which was really big; it helped with a bunch of nine year old cheerleaders hanging out. A great value for the money, and right down the road from the competition.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Overwhelming smell of marijuana in hallway and coming into my room. Some breakfast items weren't good (omlet and French toast).

Bed comfy, very clean and quiet

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• King Room with Bathtub - Mobility/Hearing Accessible

Very loud noises from expressways. Perhaps the windows could be improved to reduce the noise level in the room and encourage more restful sleep.

Cleanliness

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• King Room with Study

We stayed at Hampton Inn for the 3rd time. The complimentary hot breakfast was really good. We slept well in the beds and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Carpet was so dirty our socks got stained (no visible dirt on floor just needed a good shampoo) also our bathroom needed a deep cleaning, around the floor edges and along the cracks and crevices

Safe, family friendly, wonderful breAkfast

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

Didn't like the limited shuttle times to the Staten Island ferry. We picked the hotel for the free shuttle not realizing how limited it was. The personnel were less than personable. The night shift lady was nice but everyone else seemed less than excited to be there. No towels in the pool at opening and the dirty towel bins were full. We found a bug resembling a tick in one of the beds. Killed it and got moved into a new room. The floors were dirty in the room. Our socks got filthy.

The location.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

• King Suite

I booked this for the free shuttle to the ferry the shuttle did not run there everyday, and you had yo sign up days in advance, so we had a choice between $20 taxi each way each day. Or a 45 minute bus ride each way. Very disappointed in that.

I liked the clean rooms, friendly staff, and wonderful breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

not enough plugs in the room - had to unplug the refrig to use the microwave. Had to move the coffee maker to use it (because no plug) - not a huge problem but a bit shaggy for the price

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• King Room with Study

Great for overnight stay to pick up cruise ship in Bayonne, free buffet breakfast and all day tea and hotel looks fairly new and rooms are huge, well presented and spotlessly clean, ,nice italian restaurant in sister hotel across parking lot was very nice with reasonable prices, all in all would highly recommend if needing place to stay on Statten Island.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Clean

Pillows were hard, fan in room was loud, couldn't get fresh air as windows were sealed closed. No bar had to walk to neighboring hotel in rain and paid 10 x for water, ice cream and candy from lobby when other guests were not asked to pay and staff was fine with them just taking food for free

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• King Room with Study

A restaurant in the building would have been nice but not a deal breaker for using this hotel again

The bed was soooo comfy and the room was uber clean! Felt like I was in my own bed at home!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

The pool is only open from 5-10 through the week. A little disappointing when your traveling with kids.

Clean rooms. Very friendly staff. Great breakfast. Bonus was they served coffee all day in lobby. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Studio with King Bed - Mobility/Hearing Accessible

Was a broken panel in the bathroom. Most of the staff were very friendly but a couple were very short. Pool could have stayed open later.

rooms were nice and spacious. Facilities were clean. Changed our room to meet our specific needs!

Check-in! None of my info was there or the check in lady didn't bother to look. It's a good thing I screen shot my confirmation.

The breakfast & the cleanliness.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• King Room with Study

I didn't like the shower. I think they should renovate the shower.

I loved the coffee lol. I'm not a coffee person but their coffee was very smooth. I also loved how the hotel smelled crisp clean.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Location was too far from ferry. Complimentary bus was useless. Had to book in advance but never had space as only took 10 people at once and shared with hotel next door.

Comfy beds, great breakfast

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• King Suite

Situated by noisy road double glazing did little to reduce. Other side of the building may have been quieter but our room was very noise. We slept with ear plugs

Nice hotel for one night stopover on way from JFK to Tom's River

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Wish the pool would have stayed open later so the kids could have used it more.

Great Hotel! Free shuttle to Staten Island Ferry. Plan ahead and book your spot on the shuttle. Great breakfast. Nice staff. Easy location to get to. We stayed here instead of driving into Manhatten. Glad we did!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Liked everything. Just be aware it is in an isolated area and you need a car. Very limited public transportation.

Excellent all around Hotel. Very nice rooms. Pleasant and professional staff

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

AC didn't work consistently, so room was too hot to sleep. Manager offered to refund two nights, but only refunded one. Presumably because we were offered a different room at midnight during the second night that was a major issue. Hasn't returned last email. Sixth floor hallway smelled bad. Pool hours of operation did not match the posted sign...and the operational hours were further changed by a private party.

Staff was generally kind and sought to be helpful. Breakfast was very good. Free shuttle to the Staten Island Ferry was great...when we could make the limited schedule work with our schedule.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Please See above

I thought it was a nice hotel, average cleanliness. What I did not like was the pool area smelled so horrible like feet. Even when my son & i left there we went up into the room & our clothes, hair & bodies wreecked of the horrible smell. Also while we were swimming (it was only us in the pool the whole time), the lifeguard on duty had absolutely no personality & just stared at us the entire time making us feel so uncomfortable. At night, my husband & I were up most of the night because of the incredibly noisey air conditioner (i told the girl at the desk the next am). It was so loud & when we turned it off, all we could hear was cars & trucks constantly going by. This is why I rated the location a low score. It was a very bad nights sleep. On a positive note, the continental breakfast was fantastic with alot of choices & the women working it were very sweet. I dont think we will be staying over again though. For the money spent, I excpected a better experience for myself & my family.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

Was on the opposite side from the freeway so the room was quite, clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Good location for us and the breakfast was very good.

The breakfast was great and check in and check out was smooth, great place to stay. We will be back again!

Less variety for breakfast, way more expensive than my previous stay in April.

The bed was very comfortable

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

The pool was out of service and had been for some time

Modern but average cookie cutter furniture a little on the out dated side

• King Room with Bathtub - Mobility/Hearing Accessible

Couldn’t get shuttle bus from airport to hotel, not available.

Good breakfast

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Room was very spacious. Sleeper couch was very comfortable.

We had to move a couple of times due to clogged toilet and one room smelled of cigarette smoke but the staff was amazingly accommodating.

• King Room with Bathtub - Mobility/Hearing Accessible

I Love Everything About My Hotel.

• King Room with Study

Staff was horrible. Dark skinned woman acted like she didn’t wanna be there. Ruined my stay with her frown.

Check in was quick and easy!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

They need to add a step stool or something to climb in the tub.

Roomy, clean, friendly staff..

• King Room with Study

The front desk were rude.

The housekeepers were amazing.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

I liked everything.there was nothing I didn't like

The food was good and pool was fun

The staff person who checked me in was HORRIBLE.

As I departed the staff appropriately bid me farewell

Fog horn noise. Factory whistles. Dog barking. Construction during day

Comfortable bed. Clean bathroom

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

The pool was not available at the time of visit.

Yes and the waffles were great.The

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Whirlpool

very comfy room warm and bright very happy

Nothing comes to mind.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The shower was nice.

Bed horrible

Large room

A bench at the foot of the bed had visible stains, and we didn’t feel comfortable using it.

Very comfortable bed.

I was given an accessible room with a whirlpool I couldn't step into.

French toast was stale, bedding had a black stain on sheet, not very comfortable

Tub in bathroom and shower.

Buffet breakfast was nice and fresh with good variety. Staff was always smiling.

• King Suite

We thought the parking area needed attention. Garbage pail overflowing and garbage along entrance walk

Every thing,location,food and price

Lots of parking

• King Studio with Spa Bath

It was clean and they worked with us to allow us early check in. Also breakfast was delicious warm and filling :)

could have had breakfast

room was fine, no breakfast tho,

• King Room with Study

Shuttle service to Staten Island Ferry. Lack of service to areas where restaurants were. Lack of shuttle to JFK.

The Breakfast buffet