Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Ybor City Downtown 3 stars

1301 East 7th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605, USA

#29 of 120 hotels in Tampa

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The air conditioning was very loud. The staff did say that it was on the list to be upgraded.

Good value the staff were really good and they had a shuttle service which was good.

It seemed very expensive for what it is. There was just a lamp in a small room, dirty carpet. The view was mediocre. In addition I had to give at least 200 dollars warranty for one night!

The area is very run down and not somewhere I’d recommend to people at night (not the hotel’s fault of course!) and some of the other front desk staff came off as slightly rude a few times.

The young male employee (whose name I didn’t get unfortunately) near the front desk was a really helpful and good guy. Food and room were good too.

This is a typical big chain hotel well located in historic Ybor City which even provides shuttle service to local attractions. On-site parking ($20) and breakfast buffet (simple plastic) are convenient at least. There is a small fitness room and small outdoor pool which we didn't have time to utilize.

The drains in the bath tub and sink were both very slow. Taking a shower you ended up with water almost up to your ankles. Disgusting !! The sink was similar.

It was a average middle of the road hotel, nothing more. Location for us was the most important thing. The shuttle service was convenient and saved a few dollars

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the staff was not too friendly and breakfast was really poor. They had plastic plates, knifes and forks. For the price you pay you can expect more.

situated well and nice rooms.

Parking was cramped and inadequate. We paid $10. for parking and had to park in a dirt lot across the street. The website indicated Bern’s Steak House was three miles away. The proximity to the restaurant was the primary reason we chose that location. Bern’s is considerably further than 3 miles away.

Bed was comfortable. I was pleased I could control the a/c.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The parking situation is ridiculous. Smallest parking garage ever made plus parking is $10 a day to park across the street in a dirt lot. The ac in the room was so loud we couldn’t hear ourselves talk

The staff was friendly and hotel was nice very clean. Breakfast was pretty good. I‎t is in a good location to walk down Ybor

The parking was horrible. They charged 10 dollars a day to park in a dirt parking lot. Wall paper was coming off the walls. The mattresses were uncomfortable and I personally hate weighted down blankets. I expected a little more class for spending over 200 a night.

The hot breakfast was actually good. I'm not used to such a variety for a hotel breskfast.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

AC in rooms are a bit loud.

Beds at Hamptons are always comfy. I like access to coffee and tea all day. The best thing about this property though was the amazing staff.

The hallway air conditioner was way too cold. One of the elevators was broken when we were there so people had to take the stairs. The breakfast buffet was too crowded and there wasn't enough seating - had to take food back to our room (walked up the stairs). Not enough parking in the building. Had to park on the street and pay $10.

Location was okay if you want to be in Ybor City. The tram was free on Saturdays so it was convenient to get downtown. The room was fine.

My only negative thing to say about the hotel is on the booking.com website it said parking was $8.00 a day but the hotel charged me $10.00 a day, again not a deal breaker.

Nice rooms, very clean the beds were comfortable. Extremely quiet, never heard anything while I was in my room. Breakfast buffet was well presented and tasty, again very clean. Hotel is centrally located and is close to a lot of pubs and restaurants. For the price I thought the hotel was a good value.

Had to pay for parking. Towels stained. Looked like blood. Front desk was more interested in one of the employees than me. Housekeeping was cleaning rooms at 6 pm. In room coffee service was the worst. The “creamer” actually curdled in the coffee.

Room was clean and quiet.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I left a glass case with prescription glasses and have called to see if these were on lost and found. Apparently not. Not sure why these were not turned in or if so, why these are not being sent to me.

Desk staff friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Pool was great for the kids (aged 2-8). Lots of restaurants down the street in this developing area. We were here during the week, but I imagine on the weekend the area would be pretty lively. Breakfast is typical US hotel style. We had a king room, and the hotel provided a roll-away to go with the fold out sofa so we could fit 5 of us OK. Parking is $10 per night, but a "spin the wheel" promotion for HH members comp'd this for us. A free shuttle is available for trips within 3 miles. Kid friendly spray ground and park at the end of 7th street on the river was a good was to spend an afternoon.

We were very pleased with the location and comfort of the hotel. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. We did not use the free shuttle but met the driver who was very nice, and were glad it was an option. The room was clean, and the A/C was cold. The hotel was busy, so we had to park in the unpaved overflow lot directly across the street, but the car was not tampered with. The hotel is very close to a streetcar station, which is free to ride on Saturdays (during our visit) and a lot of fun to ride. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, too.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The fitness center could use a fan, it was really hot and stuffy in there. And it’s a bummer to pay so much for a hotel stay and then have to pay for parking on top of that.

The shuttle was very helpful and the driver, Tony, was very kind and had great ideas for places to eat!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

That I had to pay extra for a parking space. That when I checked out desk attendant didn’t say thank you, or hope you enjoyed your stay, or kiss my ass. Nothing. No comment.

Great location. Comfy room. Quiet. Great breakfast

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast served on paper plates, coffee in paper cups, and with useless, plastic cutlery. Noisy guests during the night; use your imagination! Worst of all, on the day of arrival the hotel decided to test my credit card by spending one dollar. The result was that the card was blocked because the issuer beloved this to be a fraudulent transaction. When asked about this, the person on the front desk didn’t care at all.

Location is perfect for the bars and restaurants of Ybor City. No other redeeming features.

I arrived after a very long travel day. The staff were super welcoming and helpful- which was very much needed. I got checked in right away, had easy parking and they were quick to grab me a hair dryer when I couldn't find one in my room. Comfy and clean. Was a great location for my purpose, but not a ton in walking distance if you are staying for awhile. Would recommend!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lobby bathrooms were a mess Sunday morning. Mentioned it to the manager but nothing changed in an hour. You would think this would be an attention area.

Parking was tight but beat the dickens out of parking on the street or public parking. Staff was helpful but a little standoffish. I would definately stay there again.

I made this reservation as a gift for my parents. I made it online with my credit card, and when they got there, they had to pay for the room. What. The Heck?! When I made my reservation it asked me if I was the person staying there or not. I said I was not. Why doesn't the website explain that you can't actually book online, you only make reservations. I would have booked somewhere else. Bad website, bad policy. I will make sure to not book here again.

My parents said everything was great except the air conditioning was really loud.

• King Studio with Bath Tub - Disability/Hearing Access - Non-Smoking

The shower was difficult. I was in a handicap accessible room and if I was handicapped, I wouldn’t have been able to adjust the height of the head because it was so tight and didn’t turn.

Friendly staff, breakfast options were great, very clean

The facility is adjacent to the city's trolley "barn" – which our room overlooked. We had to deal with constant trolley noise from sundown until well after midnight.

The "free" breakfasts were well above average, with fresh, cut fruit and hot entrées that changed every day.

• Deluxe King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We were very disappointed with the hotel.

The room was not bad, but the hotel is poorly managed. Lots of people were complaining and asked for the manager and there was no manager.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I would have preferred better lighting in the room and around the property on the outside. Uber/Lyft had a difficult time seeing the signage and finding the property even with the address.

The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating with towels and other things for the room. Everything worked and was clean. Having the shuttle was a definite bonus as we had family staying in downtown Tampa among all the hustle/bustle and I didn't want that. Getting into Tampa was easy.

price for that stay

staff wonderful, price for one day stay that weekend was outrageous..... NO HEATED pool, the free breakfast was fab along with the free coffee, hats off to Hilton

Parking garage is to small for a full sized truck to navigate, and not enough parking spots. Paid $8 parking fee for the hotel and had to park across the street.

Excellent location to Port of Tampa and right in historic Ybor City with plenty of restaurants and bars in area. Friendly hotel staff, especially Helmsley and Malik at the front desk. Breakfast was very good. If going on a cruise, you can leave your car in hotel parking lot for an additional fee and they will shuttle you to the port and back free of charge.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The front desk were SUPERB! The custodial staff super friendly! They offered complimentary shuttle to areas within 1 mile of hotel-so great!! The breakfast was the best I've EVER seen--so many choices: omelette, fajitas, oatmeal, breads, fruits, yogurt; you name it! I've NEVER had that many HOT choices at any hotel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel has not paid us back the security deposit they are supposed to give.It has been more than a week since we checked out and there are no replies to the mails i am sending them on this regard.

breakfast!

The only complaint that I had was that the breakfast choices and quality of food was very subpar. I’m not a picky eater, but a lot of mornings I had to get only an apple or banana.

Excellent staff, everyone very helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommend.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The beds were too firm and the carpet and a few stain but no odd smells.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, making you feel very welcomed and comfortable. The location was on the Ybor City strip.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Charging for parking at your property is not appreciated. I'm already staying at your hotel. Charging me extra to park my rental car doesn't make me feel like a valued customer.

The staff was excellent.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The mattresses needed to be rotated and flipped. I felt like I was sleeping on an incline, fighting gravity all night.

It was close to great restaurants and shops. It was very clean and easy to access. It also included a great pool and exercise room.

• Deluxe King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We where for 3 nights, because of Hurricane Irma, we got to move, and we stay there for 1 night only, they just charge back one of the two nights left.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the staff was grumpy, didn't;t understand the computer system. did not honor the booking.com reservation until booking.com was called on phone and spoke with manager even though I had print out and digital email confirmation. Love the location and room was nice size. Breakfast was typical business hotel offerings.

location was great, close to Ybor nightlife and restaurants

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were evacuated from Tampa hospital do to Irma. I had a double lung transplant one week earlier do to a childhood decease I am now 56 and should've stayed at hospital but it's in a flood zone.The staff here was like family they went way beyond for us Anything we needed they took care of I will be back for many trips to this area for follow ups and if we have to to stay over night it will be here.

We came due to evacuation from Hurricane Irma. The staff was amazing thru this event. Every staff member always had a smile on their face. They made us feel like part of their family. Cynthia was amazing. She was playing with the kids, brought games from home so everyone can be entertained. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making this experience great.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The AC unit was loud when it stopped and started, waking us up almost everytime throughout the night.

The breakfast variety was great and tasted fresh and was tasty! The bed was comfortable. The shower/tub combo was comfortable, the tub being long and deep for a comfy soak.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room was next to the Streetcar barn, kind of noisy. Air conditioner was so loud when on had to turn the TV up to hear it, when it cut off, TV was way too loud.

Location was great only a few blocks from heart of Yboa City.

Carpet seemed wet upon arrival. Either carpet was cleaned or previous guest got it wet.

Breakfast was much more than anticipated. Staff friendly and very helpful. Courtesy vehicle was extremely helpful!

• Deluxe King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Really nothing negative other than the area can be a little sketchy. Definitely wouldn't walk around by myself. Always be with a group!!

It was close and within walking distance of the bars & restaurants we wanted to go to. The gentleman at the front desk, Hemsley was great. Gave us good directions to a few places and recommended some resturamts. Our A.C. was locked & blowing too cold, maintenance was the within 30 min of us calling for assistance. Overall great experience for our first visit. Definitely will stay here again for our next concert trip.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Excellent location in the heart of Ybor city. Free shuttle within 3-mile radius from the hotel. Coffee, tea and water served 24/7. Breakfast included in the price. Friendly staff :)

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Air conditioner was very noisy the shower curtain rod was way too high barely keep the curtain in the tub so water didn't get on the floor

We really enjoyed being able to walk to variety of restaurants for dinner. The complimentary breakfast at the hotel was good. Very close to A Streetcar station right around the corner. We were able to use the streetcar to go to the aquarium. Also used it a couple of other times.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was phenomenal. Jasmine and Hemsley were the two that stood out! Another friendly staff member was Mark. Thank you all for a wonderful experience. The beds were amazingly comfortable. I probably slept more than I should have. The location was also amazing. No driving required and that helps a lot when having fun that involves alcohol. Couldn't have asked for a better location.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The shuttle service was a big plus! Tony Clinton stayed on past his normal hours to accomadate our concert time! He made the event a big success. He also had a great personality!

Paying extra for parking......

Everything was great. Great breakfast selection and plenty of room to eat. View of downtown was great from our room and the streetcar transportation to downtown was very convenience. Walking distance to all 7th ave. activities was very convenience since you can party for a while and walk back to the hotel, unless you can't walk :)

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The parking is very very limited as the hotel is in the Ybor City area. It is extremely difficult to find a parking spot in the small garage and one often has to park on the streets on in a parking lot across the street.

The hotel was extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast had a good selection of foods. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and always willing to answer questions.

Breakfast and coffee were horrible

Within walking distance to many restaurants. We were able to walk home from the arena easily (about 1 1/2 miles). There was a shuttle that dropped us off at the arena, and he offered to come back and get us late, but we decided to grab something to eat and walked back. There was also a trolley available.

There was a charge for parking which online said free parking. If you're paying to stay, you should not have to pay to park. Entrance was hard to find when first got there.

Breakfast was great! Security was good. Room was just what you needed for our active stay, we were on the move a lot!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We found a couple of bed bugs in our bed when we got up. That was a little upsetting. We reported that to the office. They send someone up right away, who agreed, bed bugs. They were most apologetic and comped our room voluntarily. I realize that can happen anywhere.

The bed was a bit hard for me but my wife loved it.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Reviews says family friendly and says hotel provides a crib if with a baby yet we asked in advanced and they said they will have one and when we got the hotel there was no crib in room so we asked for one and they never responed so asked again at front desk and they said they dont have any.

Loved the breakfast,pool, and room was clean

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The location is not safe around the hotel at late evening to night , as told by people knowning the place but we met them after booking , so we spent one night only instead of four , and the price too high and not justified at all for such hotel ..

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The aorconditioning was way too laud and the price eas with 169Dollar not what to expect.

If you want to party in the neighbourhood the place is perfect.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Unfriendly service at desk (compared to accomodation half the price!) and miserable shuttle bus driver (why offer a free service begrudgingly?). Complicated WiFi connectability (Never managed to connect even though we have new iPhone6!)

Great comfortable room in a good location to explore ybor city and a very good breakfast selection.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Quiet Room , comfy Bed and excellent location for bars and Restaurants .Good for Pre or Post Cruise we stayed 3 Days post Cruise ,Staff very helpful and friendly .

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A bit pricey for a Hampton property. Location was ok but not what I expected. Not great for young kids. More of a nightlife scene.

Good free breakfast. Nice room. Clean & comfy. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Understanding this was an event weekend, noise and carrying on in hallways all night long was a bit much trying to get some sleep. Little better police-ing would have been nice.

Very neat and clean, good location

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No complaints on this facility!

The facility was very clean and secure. Our room was very comfortable with plenty of linens . Also, our key was not only needed for the room but to use the elevator and outside entrance. We used their free shuttle service available for the area and found it very convenient, clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

At check-out they charged me $50. more than what was on my booking confirmation. When I asked about this they corrected it but it took a while to get it taken care of.

We liked the free shuttle service to/from the hotel and Amalie Arena.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Last shuttle service at 9:30Pm

All staff is very personable from front desk to breakfast staff, the house keeper & shuttle driver . Will definitely stay here again!!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pricing seemed higher than normal. With exceptional circumstances would have expected prices to stay level not increase.

Visit due to Hurricane Matthew. Liked location and efficiency of property and staff.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

The bedspread was clumpy as if it had seen better days. The huge flood lamp 1/2 block to the south is annoying at night unless you close drapes fully. It is not on hotel property so not sure what could be done about it.

The breakfast was well prepared

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Parking costs $8.00, uncovered with no place to unload during the rain. The landing outside of the elevators were soiled with soda and not cleaned until the following morning.

The inside is the room was impeccably clean and well maintained. The breakfast was way more than I expected for Hampton Inn. Staff were friendly at check in and check out.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pricey...but they know they are one of the few in that location so they can charge whatever. Other hotels are close by if you want to drive but I chose to walk the strip.

Everything was great, didn't get a chance to check out the breakfast.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We were charged for parking, which no one explained to us. There is a small garage with limited parking, once it is full you have to park along the street or in a empty parking lot across the street. The hotel is not in a very nice area so if you have to pay to park it should be in a garage.

The inside of the hotel was nice and the free breakfast was decent. The staff was not very forth coming with information, and seemed aggravated when asked questions regarding parking and extra charges.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Charged a different amount than listed for booking... Asked them for an called and asked why? the front counter person said they didnt know, and could only see a parking charge..Since it was on booking.com they couldnt see the whole charge.. i told them that is crazy.. I asked for a receipt emailed, and never got it.... NOT GOOD SERVICE.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was atrocious in an unsecured lot across the street that they make you pay for. There was limited on site parking. We had a mixed group for family and fun. It was not a great area for kids in the evening and by night several corners had people making out in them.

The room was clean. Good breakfast and friendly staff. 1 minute walk to Ybor's main street and clubs.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Parking was very limited. We had to park in a public lot across the street (and walk in the rain to hotel) for an $8 nightly charge which is the same if we were in the covered on sight parking.

Great selection of hot items on the breakfast buffet. Coffee available 24 hours was nice. Room was bigger than expected, clean and comfortable. Staff were great! Niemma and Adriana were tops! They made the short stay very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The maintentence person thought it would be a good idea to start drilling something in the room next to us at 9 am, for an hour straight. Maybe wait until after checkout before you wake up your guests with loud power tools!!

The beds were very comfortable, room was clean, and the staff was very courteous.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I was charged 20 dollars for parking after that was not supposed to be charged after i won two nights free parking in the spin the wheel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel advertised free cruise parking. That was not true. Parking was $10 a night.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great location in relation to the restaurants of Ybor City! Everything was within walking distance. Very clean and comfortable hotel.

We went to have a girls weekend and staff was accommodating. Pillows where nice and fluffy, the rooms where quite.