Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg-Richmond Road 3 stars

1880 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185, USA

#24 of 75 hotels in Williamsburg

Not enough drawer space for 3 adults, and a child.

Cleaning Staff was terrific, desk was great, stayed in the past, breakfast, close to all attractions.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was just ok. The eggs were steamed, I think, and that's not preferred. Also, I didn't like the limitations of options of meats for non-red meat eaters. I would have preferred turkey bacon/sausage instead of the standard pork. Also, the eggs had ham in them, so I couldn't eat those either. The waffle bar as well as cereals and fruit saved breakfast for me.

The location was good for us because we were in town to go to Busch Gardens. It was only a 10 minute ride. Also, I liked the fact that breakfast was included and I could use an app as my room key.

We were very disappointed in the swimming pool. It looked beautiful and looked like it had never been used. When we got ready to go swimming we found out why. The water was ice cold!! I would have needed a wet suit to go into it. The staff said it was set by a computer to 70 degrees. That is just too cold for an indoor pool. We picked this hotel because it had an indoor pool. Our son who traveled with us has cerebral palsy. His favorite thing to do is go swimming unfortunately he was unable to go, and could not understand why an indoor pool would be so cold. it really ruined our stay.

The breakfast was wonderful. It is a great location. Very quiet, Friendly staff, but not all were knowledgeable

I could hear the people above me talking and laughing 11pm. They didn’t wake up the kids, so it wasn’t terrible.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They had recommendations of restaurants who delivered to the hotel. After a long day at Busch Gardens with the family, we didn’t want to go to a restaurant. I forgot my toothbrush and they gave me a complimentary one. It was awesome not having to worry about breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was served from 6am -10am. They had cereal and bagels to eggs and made to order Belgium waffles. My kids LOVED the indoor pool!

We found the bed a bit firm for our liking but not to the point of being uncomfortable. Saw a couple of spots in the room which could stand a little touch-up paint but again, not terrible.

The breakfast was a notch above what one normally finds in a motel. Staff was friendly and room was clean. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available 24/7 is a nice touch.

Nothing. The whole experience was great!

Breakfast was excellent. Eggs were fluffy, oatmeal was wonderful. I had oral surgery the week before and was not expecting to find much that I could eat. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of things I could enjoy.

We didn't use the pool because the water was a little bit too cold. It will be nice to add a Jacuzzi or hot tub

Love the location. A lot of restaurants to go to.

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The room was very nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good with lots of options. I had eggs, sausage, waffles, and OJ. There were also fruits, cereals, bread, bagels, spreads, etc.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

Parking spots too far from hotel There were NO GARBAGE cans ANYWHERE in our room. Had to put it under the sink cabinet. Ceiling old looking and kitchen section of suite very dull and sparse

Good breakfast Nice pool for the kids Liked fitness room Comfortable beds Quiet room

The comforter was very heavy, and because there was no sheet, if you got too hot, the only thing you could do is throw off the entire comforter. Recommend adding a sheet to the comforter.

The staff was very friendly, and the location couldn't have been better.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

Beds are not nearly as comfortable as I expected from a Hampton. They were quite hard actually!

Good breakfast, nice big suite with kitchenette was great for a family on a budget! Close to sight seeing and easy to get to.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The property will be undergoing renovations soon but you wouldn't know they were needed. The bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. Close to Colonial Williamsburg, restaurants and shopping (you have to stop at the Yankee Candle store).

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing to dislike.

The breakfast was the best that I have ever had at any hotel. The selection was better than a restuarant buffet. The staff kept the area spotless and the line items filled. They were ready and willing to assist if needed.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Someone from cleaning staff opened our door while we were relaxing. Very surprised!!

The front desk was very professional and pleasant. Room was very clean. Breakfast was good.

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

We were disappointed that the indoor pull and hot tub were undergoing renovations during our stay. Their unavailability were not noted when we reserved our stay.

Staff, great breakfast selection and cleanliness

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

Facets to tub broken and difficult to get in and out of deep hot tub..... Breakfast area wild with lots of kids on field trip but not hotels fault.... Just unnerving

Good bed and nice clean room.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

We couldn't close the curtains to keep the light out from the streetlights. The sheers aren't enough . We wanted to close the drapes.

Good variety for breakfasts. I like that you have water out to drink in the lobby at various times of the day.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Ice machine not working on our floor. Ice bucket not visible in the room. Only strawberry flavor yogurt at breakfast. Front desk help could have been more knowledgeable about dining options, but were very helpful regarding transportation.

Fluffy eggs, moist oatmeal, good variety of breakfast items. Friendly, helpful staff. Room very nice. Good location.

Very disappointed that the staff would not honor my Hilton Honors Card. The reason given is I made my reservation with Bookings.com and I would have to contact them. Let me tell you I stayed at a Hilton property ,I paid for the reservation , I met my responsibility but you came up very short on your end. I was astonished at your using Booking.com and having the position of a non cancellation policy.. I will never use that company again , you may want to investigate .There are many choices for travelers and I believe it may be a good time to investigate those options. I,m very sure that I will not be staying @ Hilton properties anytime soon.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was no table in the room. The desk was too small to substitute for a table. Otherwise everything was great.

Breakfast was exceptional. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Everything was very clean.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

Room was a bit dated and a little shabby, but at the price it still represented good value.

The room was somewhat dated but it was clean and comfortable. The few staff that we saw were very friendly. The breakfast choice was excellent.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was so crowded people were sitting in the lobby. We couldn't find a seat so we took food to our room. I confirmed my room on line but was told the wifi was spotty in that room and suggested a switch. I agreed but the room was near stairs and we need super quiet. I then asked to switch back. Room was great but she was right. Wifi wasn't spotty, it did not exist except for near the entrance door. The shower in that particular room was noisy.

The blackout shades were a plus. The beds were comfortable and love the all day coffee, tea and hot cocoa downstairs.

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The room was on the 3rd floor down a long hall. We asked for a handicaped room. It was equipped with a handicapped bathroom as requested but my husband who walks with a cane had a long walk to get to it.

manager went out of her way to get us a dozen of roses for our anniversary.The breakfast was good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The beds were not up to the Hampton standard. The beds are why I stay at Hamptons. Plus the duvet was too thick to be used comfortably.

The staff was very helpful

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

I have no complaints. Had the weather been more sunny than cloudy when I was there I would have wanted an outdoor pool, but I thought the accommodations were just fine.

I thought Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond Road was very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Our room was great. We had basically a double room. One side was a kitchenette and living room with sleeper sofa and the other side had two queen beds and a bathroom. This was perfect for us. Water pressure in the shower rocked as well. I thought the free breakfast provided every morning was fantastic. This was not just donuts and coffee. There was hot and cold food available every morning we were there. You could make your own waffles, which looked and smelled great. There were some type of eggs and breakfast meat every morning. Orange, pineapple and apple juice. Cold cereal, hot oatmeal, pastries, bread and bagels for the toaster, English muffins, fruit, etc.... Anybody complaining about this is born with a silver spoon in their mouth and should be staying at a $400 a night hotel if they expect more. The kitchenette had full size fridge, enough plates, pots, pans, etc to make due if you wanted to cook a simple meal. Also great for bringing leftovers back from dinner and reheating in the micro. It was nice to be able to store bottled water, Gatorade, beers (for me) and leftovers in the fridge. I never used the coffee maker in the room because there was always fresh hot coffee in the lobby with flavored creamers and plenty of tea available also. I also didn't use the dishwasher because we never had enough dirty dishes to require the use of the dishwasher. If there was anything that you forgot to bring you could always get it the lobby. They had snacks, drinks, toiletries, etc.. for sale. The beds were comfortable to me. The hotel was quiet and we were never disturbed by any of the other guests. The elevator was a bit slow, so we mostly used the stairs and we were on the 4th floor. I'm a fitbit person so this worked for me. There was always plenty of parking.

indoor pool was a little chilly, but the kids didn't care

Hampden Inn breakfasts are wonderful, especially for the kids! Make your own waffles, hot food options, lots of options!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was hospitable professional. Very helpful in making suggestions as to how to make the best of the week. The breakfast was hot and delicious everyday.My grandkids and I will only stay at Hampton Inn any time we travel. The kids did not want to leave.Thanks for helping to make our trip memorable

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

Room was hot despite adjusting the thermostat to 60 degrees. Please check room 321 the lamp at the bedside has a short and was popping electricity.

Atmosphere was very friendly and family oriented. Very quiet and hotel located in a great place to get to all attractions and shops.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Fastest check in ever. My special request were confirmed and accommodated at arrival. The breakfast was awesome. Hot coffee and tea were available 24 hours extra awesome! 😃 Everything about the hotel was super clean.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I don't have words to explain the cleanliness of this place. Anyone planning to visit Williamsburg, VA, I would strongly recommend this property. Location is excellent, staff is super nice "especially Teresa and Hannah". Very courteous, polite and helpful.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast could definitely be better. The eggs tasted like powdered eggs and no good breakfast meat. House keeping didn't clean the tub when they came and clean the room and I had to call and report it to the front desk.

Staff was friendly, kids liked the pool, located around a lot of stores.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I liked that they had a pool, the room was clean, staff was very friendly, breakfast was included, & on-site parking was available for free.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Very comfortable sleeping. Room temperature easy to regulate. Breakfast very good with a variety of choices. The manager called to see that we were comfortable and asked us to call her if we had any problems. Very nice gesture. Also a great location close to downtown and good restaurants nearby.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Smaller rooms. Took a while to have your room cleaned each day. Parking is all behind the hotel. Ice machine was broken on our floor. TV channels were mostly blurry.

Nice complimentary breakfast.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

More space in room to place luggage. Honestly we love Hampton Inns.

My family and I were just recently in the area to go to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. This hotel is very centrally located to both. We love going to Hampton Inns because you know the room and the service will be wonderful. This hotel was no exception. Our room was very clean and beds were comfy. We also chose Hampton Inns because of the delicious breakfasts served daily.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

Overall, this is a mid-pack Hampton Inn ... not quite up to usual standards of comfort, cleanliness and currency. In short, it is showing wear and tear, but still a good value

Plenty of room for four of us (2 adults, 15 year old and 8 year old); excellent beds; OK air conditioning (dated!); and very good breakfasts

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Noticed a lot of half done projects, room looked thrown together in a way. Very small rooms for a family of 4.

Good price, staff very friendly and helpful. Lobby area nice, and comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing really to dislike except the hot, humid weather, but that's not the hotel's fault. :-)

We only stayed one night for a quick mini tour of Colonial Williamsburg on our way to Outer Banks. Motel was nice, roomy, clean. Tex-Mex restaurant right next door so we didn't have to drive any place to dine. Overall a pleasant experience.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Indoor pool was not heated and the fridge froze my drinks. The hotel was a 15 minute drive to Busch Gardens.

The beds were very comfortable, there was always fresh coffee, also a good choice of food and juice for breakfast.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

There were 5 of us staying in the room but each day we were only left 4 sets of towels. The front desk was always accommodating to give us extra sets.

We stayed in a suite, very pleased with the full sized refrigerator and kitchen space. The kids were happy that we had multiple outlets to charge their tablets. Breakfast was wonderful!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We where relocated to this hotel from booking.com. Did not find anyone at the front desk. Night manager finally came and told us everything is sold out. We had to wait for her to figure things out and finally give us a room.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing we didn't like.

The front desk employees were amazing. They were super personable and caring. They were very knowledgeable about activities happening around town and even thanked my husband for his service, as he is active duty Army, and made sure to tell us to use our military discount

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The ladies in the buffet area were great. My daughter is allergic to cinnamon and no muffins were available in the buffet that did not have cinnamon - one little girl (wish I could remember her name - she needs special reconginition) was wonderful. She took the extra effort to go in the back and see if there were any muffins that did not have this ingredient.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My door was sticking,making it difficult to get into the room.

Complimentary breakfast was great. Water in the lobby was great. Nice pool and exercise room.

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

Very out dated. Wall paper in the shower. The jetted tub was a single person tub with jets and that was also where the shower was. You had to climb into the shower literally. I felt my money could have been spent a little better. The bed was uncomfortable. Hurt my back the first night and managed the second.

The breakfast was good. The staff was very friendly. Very close to shopping and restaurants. Close drive to busch gardens and downtown williamsburg

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

The suit was not clean the dishes were not cleaned properly had to wash them again with hot water and soap. The bathroom had a use soap that was left in the bathroom. The suit look very old not like what showed in the picture at Booking.com

Breakfast was ok

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

When we check in the lady in the front desk was very nice and she don't give me the wifi password later I find it myself ,

It was clean and very spacious

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Did not feel like bathroom was sufficiently cleaned. Bathroom in room 336; shower curtain provides NO way to stay closed. Appeared shower curtain rod had been relocated several times. My husband and I both had excessive amounts of water on the floor. They really need to correct this deficiency. Previous occupants hair on bathroom floor. Carpet apparently not vacuumed in a while. Could not go bare foot or in sock for stepping on small stones, rocks or debris of some type.

Beds super comfy.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is well situated for visiting the area. The facilities were clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast offered choices, including hot food, and the area had lots of seating.

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

The bathroom was horrible. The tub/shower was dangerous to get in and out of. If an older person stayed there they wouldn't even be able to use it. There was mold on the shower walls. The front desk didn't even ask how our stay was. Once we checked in and they saw we booked through a 3rd party they were not very friendly. Even though we are Hilton honors members. They really need a remodel.

It was a close drive to everything! The breakfast was fairly good. It was clean. The eating area and front entrance looks really nice. Parking was easy and close. The room was fairly nice. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The bathroom ventilation system is questionable - maybe a bird nest in the roof vent?

Variety of breakfast offerings and quality were very good to excellent. Location is great for any local activities (Colonial, University, or Charles City) without being in the hub of crazy traffic. The manager, Josef, is very friendly and helpful as is Dwayne at the front desk.

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

Elevator inspection stickers no where to be found, we swam in a pool for 10 minutes while a staff member saw us. Only to find out by other employee we needed to get out cause someone puked in water prior to us going in.

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

We booked a king suite and did not get that. When we arrived we were given a regular room. We showed our confirmation to the manager and after a lengthy phone conversation with Booking.com we were given a suite with 2 queen beds. This whole process took over an hour- a waste of our time.

Location and price.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were given a room at the end of the hotel with a tiny window, next to side door and where the maids parked their carts along the hallway. So view, interruption noise, etc. were not good. I think a nicer room anywhere else in the motel may have made for a better visit. Maid carts should be stored somewhere other than the hallway in my opinion and not lined up outside our door.

The location for restaurants, the colonial downtown area and shopping was great.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lighter weight blankets would have been nice. Housekeeping was not done until the third day, of 4, when we complained.

The extra room of the suite worked out well.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Wish pool was open later and the water was a little too cold for an indoor pool but everything else was great. Did not use fitness center so cannot comment.

Loved the included breakfast and unlimited coffee/tea/cocoa is a HUGE plus! Rooms and bathrooms were clean and looked very nice! Location is amazing, close to everything. Parking was very convenient, as well. Will come back to stay here again, definitely!

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We arrived early tired and not feeling well. The front desk offered to call us when a room became available. They called within an hour. And our weary bodies were able to rest.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing I didn't like.

The room was very clean. Plenty of towels. Staff was excellent. breakfast was delicious, a great variety. Easy access to restaurants and shopping

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

No room for us, reservations were all mixed up. So disappointed in BOOKING.COM

I like the front desk staff, because Booking mage a mistake, we had it booked for April21 thru April 24th. Called Booking because we had to change our dates to April 14 thru April 17. The customer service rept. told me that they called the hotel and made the change because my husband has to work the weekend of April 21-24th. The customers service rep. assured me it was taken care of and sent a new confirmation, but when we got there on April 14, they did not have my room but still had the Dates for the stay as April 21-24. So happy had a person who worked to get us a room., Friday or we would not have had a room and I had already paid in advance.

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

In the suite, the tub/toilet are separate from the sink area, and there is no provision for plugging in a nightlight, which makes getting up in the night a little tricky. A small towel rack near the sink would be helpful--the only racks are in the tub area.

Breakfast selection was broad and well prepared.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I paid for King Suite got to room regular room. Manager stated Suite rented last 30 days well I reserved in January. Either way not my fault. Gave us Queen Suite which Ok good. NO right by the elevator heard constant noise all evening and all night couldn't sleep. Nice birthday stay, not so much!

Room

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I called ahead to tell the staff that we wouldn't be arriving until approx. 6:00 and to see if we could get our room upgraded with Hilton Honors points. I was told the hotel was full and no changes could be made. I also confirmed that we were being assigned a quiet room away from the elevator and venting machines and was told this was the case. When we arrived, we had been assigned a room directly across from the vending and ice machines. Sherrie/Cheryl at the front desk told us she could change our room location and did so. Therefore, it appears the first person we spoke to lied to us and just didn't want to be bothered changing our room.

There was a very nice blonde lady at the front desk that was helpful in changing our room location. (I think her name was Sherrie/Cheryl ?).

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was disappointed but not so much of the hotel but because it had been reviewed so highly. I was expecting really nice and I got just nice. The front desk staff however was very nice.

Front desk staff was wonderful and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

You could have hired a decorator to upgrade those bathrooms! Obviously some contractor thought that up.....almost comical. But it was clean, so that's good!

Dead bolt on the door wouldn't lock -- staff tried to fix it, but couldn't. I finally figured it out myself! I also didn't like being on the first floor, next to the door to the outside. Safety issue (single woman, traveling alone, parking lot access, etc.) for me. Was told there were no other rooms. Consequently, I didn't sleep well.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

Everything was great. The only thing that bothered me was that our check out time was at 11, so we were up around 8 to make sure we could make it to breakfast and back up to our room no later than 9. As we are packing our things the cleaning lady came to our door not once but twice making it seem like she was in a rush.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• King Standard Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The description led us to believe we would have a suite with kitchenette-picture showed stove and countertop with sink. The room was adequate but not what we thought we were getting.

Location was great. Staff friendly. Breakfast nicely presented and good.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I did not appreciate the behavior of the front desk lady when I checked in after 10pm. I am also tired and just have to ignore her fast instructions, no smile, nothing:(

Over all experience was great, bed was confortable, the room was clean and smells clean too.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed too firm for my sore hip. Great pillows and bed covers.

Accommodating my physical limitations - room on main floor close to breakfast area. Thank you! :-)

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The only complaint I have is that it took a while to get the hot water going but I called down to the desk and she offered to change rooms but we were to tired to go through all that after bringing everything to this room so I just ran the water for a while until it got hot and it was good for the rest of the time we stayed.

Very comfortable beds , hotel and rooms were very clean . The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet in our room looked like they need a new vacuum. It was pretty clean but there were things that were missed. Bathroom was decent, but could really use some updating. And one of the staff members was kinda creepy. As we were leaving for dinner, she said have a nice night, as she was staring us down, no smile, and hen continued to stare us down as we left. Just weird....

Some of the staff was super friendly and helpful. The beds were clean.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Heavy bed comforter required running of the AC at 60* to offset the warmth. Why not offer lighter blankets?

Very pleased with the cost/value ratio.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Whirlpool - Non Smoking

Hot breakfast was only fair (but free). Hot tub style shower was difficult to enter and exit for seniors.

We find Hampton to be consistently reliable from location to location.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

We stayed only one night and was great. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room was clean and big enough, with a comfortable bed. The typical american breakfast was good. The hotel have a parking and a nice swimming pool hall.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

First evening shower water was lukewarm, but always hot thereafter.

It was quiet, short drive to Colonial Williamsburg, walking distance to lots of great restaurants, and very comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Double Suite with Kitchen - Non-Smoking

I did not appreciate at all, being called and harassed to give a credit card number over the phone as I was driving towards the hotel on I-64. The Clerk that called me was very rude and very impatient. She also explained to me that if I did not call her within an hour, my rooms would be given to someone else. I did not appreciate this unprofessional tone or phone call. This same employee, upon arriving at the hotel, ran my credit card twice through the system, but had to place a credit back onto my account via her mistake. I also noticed on my checkout statement that there was an additional charge to the room of sixty, when asking the front desk they explained to me, that the front desk had over charged me by $60 and they would refund this amount back to my debit card. My family and I enjoy the room and the hotels atmosphere, however I would not recommened this Hampton Inn to anyone I know, due to poorly training and unprofessional staff members working for this company. I am beyond upset that I encountered treatment such as this, when my family and I were on vacation. If any suggestions can be made, it is to better train staff, and to require more training for certain training. The staff member that gave me many problems was named: Theresa

The rooms were well spaced and provided a feel like home environment during our stay at Hampton Inn.

Browse Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg-Richmond Road traveller photo gallery