Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Middletown 3 stars

317 West Main Road, Middletown, RI 02842, USA

#7 of 22 hotels in Middletown

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Nothing really, for me everything was great!

Everything! From cleanliness to great staff! I had called at 3 am to see if they were able to accommodate me aft r having a bad experience at another hotel and they said yes without a problem. I was able to check in early and the rooms were nice and clean, super comfortable beds. Prices were a little high but I guess it’s because it was a holiday weekend. Amazing staff and good breakfast! I will be coming back to this hotel without a doubt.

There was no guide on the TV or we counldn't figure out how to use it. The tub stop didn't stay open we had to keep playing with it to make it drain.

The food at breakfast was fine, usual stuff. The staff was nice and accommodating. Good location close to Newport without the Newport costs.

Really can't think of anyting.

The staff was so helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. Breakfast was varied and good. Room was very comfortable...bed was great....i want that mattress.

Room was super clean and bigger than expected. Other than being followed and harressed by a man claiming to be a security guard after leaving Applebees. The police had to be called and the hotel managment. It was very unsettleing to say the least.

The only thing I looked for that wasn't there was a recycle bin.

The room was spacious and comfortable, the bedding was cozy, the pool area was clean and attractive, and breakfast was great. The all-day availability of good coffee was a particular pleasure.

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Very quiet considering it's on a busy street. Room was comfortable and very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. They had all day coffee bar and snacks to munch on....cookies one day, fresh fruit another, etc. An overall nice place to stay :) Highly recommend this hotel.

What a nice touch we were given a bottle of wine and two glasses at check in. The wine was from the Newport winery and very tasty. It was a great touch !!

Being charged $250 for having marijuana with me. I don't mean smoking it in the room, just having it with me was apparently enough to charge me claiming the room needed a deep clean. It is impossible that after 4+ hours of rolling a blunt in the room (I do mean rolled, NOT smoked) that there is such a stench (according to the staff) that would cause the room to be un-rentable. I have medical reasons for having marijuana as do so many people. This is a discrimination to marijuana smokers and I would recommend not staying here if you aren't willing to get charged for having smelly marijuana. See sealed jar.

Had nice things to say before getting charged a ridiculous smoking fee ($250 which is more than double the price of the room) simply for carrying marijuana in my luggage.

Pool was great just the water was a little to cold

The breakfast was very good eggs were delicious and the waffles was great with the extra stuff on the side great for kids fun idea

We couldn't have asked for better treatment than we had from all the Staff we dealt with. our room was comfortable and clean as well as above average in size. The free hot breakfast was much better than one would receive at other hotels and was very filling with a number of items to choose from that also changed from day to day so as to give some variety. Coffee, Tea and Hot Chocolate were all available all day long in the Lobby and Fresh Baked Cookies were a treat each afternoon and evening . The Pool and Jacuzzi as well as Pool Area were clean and enjoyable to use each evening just to relax and unwind. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone visiting the Newport area as it is located within no more than 15 minutes from all those areas and sites you would like to visit while in the area. Restaurants and Shopping are close by and easy to access. All I can say is this Hotel is a Gem and for all the reasons stated above !!!

Great breakfast. Helpful and friendly staff , especially David. Large, clean room. Lovely complimentary cookies on the front desk in the afternoons.

Breakfast foods that should have been hot were cold. The warmer was not working. Otherwise breakfast would have been fine.

Beds comfortable and facility clean

We were on property 3 nights our room was not cleaned after the first night. When we returned in the afternoon and found our room had not been serviced there was no house keeping staff available. The maintenance man was able to give us clean towels.

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

The pillows could have been better and in the tub around the drain was strained The front desk person could have been nicer

The room was great very spacious

Wished I could have stayed longer!

The room is very clean and beds are very comfortable. I think the staff is what sets them apart as they are all extremely friendly and accommodating ~ always willing to help with anything from dinner recommendations to directions to wake up calls!

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room was a bit cramped but still very comfortable.

The beds were comfortable and the separate living room was great! The hotel is very clean and the staff was super friendly. My kids loved the indoor pool and I enjoyed the hot tub.

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was so clean, extremely well maintained [could smell the cleaning agents in the lobby when they'd be cleaning :) ], the rooms were so nice & comfy, smelled fresh - again clean! We were in a one bedroom king, so I'm sure the double queen rooms were much larger. But our room was more than enough room, even w/my husband & our 4 yr old. It was a pleasure coming back to the hotel after a long day out. The breakfast area is really open & clean. No complaints with the breakfast items offered either - both hot & cold options. The pool area was clean, and the front desk was more than helpful! Gave great advice on what to see, how to get there. Downtown Newport is just a 2 min. drive. It was perfect to get back & forth, w/out it feeling like a hike. The front desk recommended the shuttle which the hotel offers to downtown, but w/a little one, it seemed easier to just bring our car, and parking was pretty much always easy to find. If you want to take a boat ride, it was recommended to do the Newport Harbor shuttle (I think that was the name! Recommended by the front desk). It was only $12/p & $6 for kids, way cheaper than the other boat rides. And it's only a 30 min. roundtrip. And that $ is all day! You can get off somewhere if you want to explore, and then hop back on another boat that comes around running, throughout the day (seasonal). Ate @ ANTHONY'S SEAFOOD MARKET & RESTAURANT, which was delicious. It's kinda of like a fast food, but way better! And you must do the Cliff Walk, early morning. Woke up @ 5am, ran to catch the sunrise on the beach, and then did the Cliff Walk, it was beautiful! If you like walking/hiking, you won't regret you did it! And even with our little one, I was hesitant, but we did the Breakers mansion tour, and he really enjoyed walking around, listening to the comical stories, & going from room to room.

Overall a fine place to stay, but still expensive, more than it should have been. I would not stay there again, just for the price. If it were more reasonable, I would absolutely go back. It is a summer weekend at Newport, but after-tax, it came out to $425 per night. The breakfast facilities are nice, but not many healthy choices with food. Countless choices of sugars and carbs- But the only healthy options or hard-boiled eggs, apples and bananas. Scrambled eggs had too much stuff in them, and the oatmeal was not good; the fruit salad did not appear to be fresh.

The location is just a skip outside of Newport- Less than 5 miles from my husband's sailboat race at Fort Adams to the hotel. No big deal if you have a car. We booked here as a safe bet, as last year we stayed at one of the boutique hotels in downtown, and it was old and musty. At least booking at the Hampton Inn, we knew it would be clean and comfortable. I like the good towels in the room, nice bathroom; around the clock coffee and tea in the lobby. Didn't use the pool although it looked nice for an indoor hotel pool.

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

We were on the first floor and the room had nice big windows but the parking lot was directly in front and you had to keep the shades and curtains down for privacy and to keep headlights out. What a shame on a gorgeous sunny day to be sitting in darkness. Why don't you make the windows from the ceiling down and then have the curtains go from bottom up, like they do in city buildings no by

My ONLY criticism might be that the lining of the tub was cracking/flaking/peeling, but that is pretty insignificant to me.

Very clean; friendly staff

I wish the shower/tub had actual USEABLE shelves for soap shampoo etc.....absolutely nothing stays on the shelves available! Have to leave toiletry items on closed toilet while showering and retrieve as needed , leading to very wet and messy floor

The pool was a blast! It was also just the perfect temperature ~ not too icky warm and not so cold as to stun!!

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I had my sisters bachelorette party here in the suites -- so much room, so clean and updated! The staff was so nice & we had the best time! I will deffiently be coming back to this hotel! In a great distance to bars, restaurants etc!!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Very clean and newly updated. Normal continental breakfast. They had the makings for breakfast burritos so that was a nice change. The pool and hot tub were perfect as well.

We just had an issue with the rollawY bed it looked very comfy but it was too big to open up in room we stayed in maybe cause of The new renevations the front desk compensated us

The front desk service was very nice and professional very nice housekeeping employees , beds very comfy great warm breakfast facility very clean and nice and quiet

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

The front desk staff couldn't be nicer. I can't remember the gentlemans name who worked the night we checked in but I hope this is passed on to him as well. Thank you for all you did.

There was a minor issue with the cleanliness of my bed duvet (it had an odd odor) but it was taken care fairly quickly by the staff.

Overall I enjoyed the facilities and staff. Very friendly and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Hearing Accessible

Great location. Very close to Newport without paying Newport hotel prices. Also, the free morning hot buffet was an added plus to our stay. Staff is friendly. We'll definitely stay here again for our next Newport visit.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Strong smell in the rooms (mold?!) tried 2 rooms. Very stuffy & couldn't open windows. Mattresses very uncomfortable, kids were uncomfortable on sofa bed.

Staff nice & breakfast was descent.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Requested handicap bathroom but Booking did not send request. Hotel gracious but unable to accommodate. Hotel website seemed to show grab bars in only bathroom pic which implied availability

Good beds, a Jr. Suite, nice indoor pool and spa

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

The eggs were awful. On 3 different mornings we had to find someone to fill the cream container for our coffee. The fruit was not fresh. I used the coffee in my room and it was never replenished.

I did like the waffles.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Room was not cleaned one of our days there & had to call to at least get clean towels. Pool looked dirty. Not typical of Hampton experience. Used hot tub & it felt clean.

Helpful staff. Orange cab service made a solid connection to Newport activities.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Entrance to property was rather awkward. Signage for exit could have been better.

Excellent breakfast, excellent lighting in the room, room keys worked every time, great bathroom.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

It was a very nice, clean and comfortable room. The beds were extremely comfortable, and I was very happy with our stay. The free continental breakfast was ample and very good. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay at more Hampton Inn locations in the future, and if I go back to visit Newport, I would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

The pool and hot tub smelled terrible and the pool appeared to have things floating on top. Had to pay a ridiculous amount of money for this room (I'm assuming just due to location), expect the facilities to be useable. Breakfast was just okay. Have always had good luck with Hampton Inns but not this time

Basic room was all right, received what we asked for. The location is great- right out of hub bub of downtown Newport, but close enough to get in and out easily

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

no place comfortable and lovely to sit and relax with a book or a cocktail...no garden, terrace, or balcony.

bedding (linens and pillows) very nice; breakfast was very good

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Nothing other than the high price

My wife and I stay in Hampton Inns whenever possible . This one was consistent with all the other, well managed, Hampton Inns we have stayed at

It was convenient in a crowded area.easy to get to

Shower pull was too hard.

Front desk was helpful. Great recommendations for dinner choices. Shuttle service was excellent.

Large room and comfortable beds. Microwave available.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It was convieniently locates close to Newport -but due to being just on the outskirts -less expensive . Great size for 4 of us! Breakfast was great !

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The shower pressure was not to my liking. No pressure and no adjustment to make on the shower head.

Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Very close to Newport, clean hotel and staff very helpful.

Acoustics in pool area were terrible. Kids screaming hurt your ears and some could not stay in room.

Convenience to Newport.

Convient location staff great

It was clean

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Food was good and variety was offered.

I liked that the room was extremely clean and the property was quiet.

Noisy exaust fan in the bathroom

Hampton Inn...always good.

Everything was fine

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Pool smaller than expected and a little chilly

Comfortable. Quiet. Clean. Great location

Comfortable, clean.

eggs were ... weird looking.

nice lobby free wifi complementary breakfast each check-in and check-out

The weather, bitter cold!!!

Very good breakfast, beds were comfortable.

The Staff was so friendly and made our trip really great.

Beds were not that comfortable.

We went for a staycation. Pool was nice. Staff was nice.

Thanksgiven day no cleaning of rooms or towels,desk staff not to friendly

Great breakfast

Everything Thank you

No issues

Clean hotel with friendly staff. Continental breakfast was good.

Internet-wifi connection very poor

Loved how clean and new the hotel.was. everyone very nice, everything very easy. It was perfect for a family like ours.

• King Studio Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Loudest in room air conditioner on the planet

...

Staff are friendly and helpful. Clean rooms.

The hotel provided whatever I was expecting like good food for the continental breakfast. They even provided extra soup between 5pm and 7pm.

Friendly and accommodating!

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Small counter on bathroom

Spacious room, great breakfast

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The price

The room was clean and comfortable

Everything was very clean and easily accessible. Breakfast was amazing with lots of options! Great location.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

The temperature variation in the room is crazy. It changes like 6 degrees until the heat or A/C will kick on.

Great breakfast, nice room

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Internet

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

The eggs were like plastic

Pillows were great! And lots of them:)

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Pillows were not comfortable,tv did not have a clear picture,difficult to regulate heat/air in room.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Wish you had dietetic jams and triple zero yogurt

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

great breakfast super clean room. quiet. large fridge.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

WiFi was slow unless you were willing to spend the extra $ 6 front desk personal was not friendly

Close to the beaches just a few miles down the road