Reviews of Hampton Inn Norfolk/Virginia Beach 3 stars

5793 Greenwich Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462, USA

#24 of 105 hotels in Virginia Beach

Good location for access to downtown Norfolk and the beach

Very good for what we wanted - a property that gave access by car to the center of Norfolk and to Virginia Beach. We had an issue initially with the room we were first assigned but the staff response was excellent and we were happy with the new room.

Hampton Inn - usually great, this one was a disaster.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I would strongly recommend finding a different property to stay at. Usually, we book at Hampton Inns no matter where we go as the experience is usually great. This one was very different. First of all, it is right in the middle of a huge highway construction project. The noise from the machines (even early in the morning) was loud. The view was literally a construction zone. It also made navigating in and out of the hotel very difficult. Second, the main hotel staff was very nice when checking in, but the support staff was very unprofessional. In fact, when we went to our car in the parking lot on Saturday afternoon, there was a staff member in uniform leaning on the building with someone else smoking marijuana. The smell was very obvious and I am glad I did not have my children with me. Third, apparently this Hampton Inn is participating in a Hotel Housing program for a nearby college and there were many rude and sloppy (hallways and breakfast area) students roaming around. I truly wish we had known about these factors before booking.

The room was pretty clean and modern.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

VA Beach stay

The hotel was under construction and the main door entrance was blocked off. You had to go through the dining area while people were eating. They didn’t have a ramp through that area so it made it hard for you to bring luggage in.

The customer service rep. Matt at the check in counter was very friendly & helpful. The beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast was ok and room was comfortable.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Terrible smell coming from AC unit. Hotel was under construction so the appearance and price could have been better.

Breakfast was ok and room was comfortable.

The complimentary breakfast was good!

I experienced a constant dripping water leak from the ceiling...reported it to the front desk, they said they would look into it by checking the room above mine... no follow up...The next day the room presented a horrible wet carpet stench...I requested and received a room change.

The complimentary breakfast was good!

the beds were comfortable
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

the hotel didn't state that it was under renovations when we made reservations...our room had leaks..the water was rusted and not hot

the beds were comfortable

Good stay. It will be my much better when they are finished with renovations
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

They were undergoing construction so only one elevator was being used. We alsio had several power outages ehile were were ther. At ine point all the lights went out when my daughter was in the shower.

The breakfast was very good. A. Ice variety and all done well.

The staff were very friendly
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

When we arrived we came to find that the water had been shut off due to work being done. After driving for 6 hours, we needed to use the restroom and could not. Very disappointing.

The staff were very friendly

All in all we had a good stay, staff was nice, rooms were clean.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

What I didn't like was there was no running water in our room when we checked in. But once we returned around 10 pm there was water.

I liked the size of the bathroom and the breakfast, the staff was friendly.

The bad out weighed the good.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The pool was closed, we weren’t told about that when we booked or even at check in. The construction was very loud and woke my two young children up early every single morning. The water was turned off on us while we were showering multiple mornings. The power went out in our room one night so we had just the lights from our phones. Also housekeeping was very loud early in the mornings and would wake our children up after they just fell back asleep from being woken up by the construction. We definitely will not be staying there again.

The breakfast was delicious, staff were nice, and the room was nice

breakfast was nice & I liked the variety.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

My check in experience was horrible, and the hotel employee who checked me in(Matt) was extremely rude.

breakfast was nice & I liked the variety. The rooms were clean. All of the other staff were friendly & accommodated our group very well.

It was clean, minus a couple of hairs in the tub and some...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was not soft at all. Had to use one of the comforters as extra cushion lol. The walls were to hollow. I could hear every movement from the person in the next room. Did not have a snack machine or any snacks for that matter, except the complimentary cookie.

It was clean, minus a couple of hairs in the tub and some spots in the floor that I guess a shampooer could not get out. Assuming they tried that. Staff was very nice.

Great place, great value

Not enough luggage carts...a five year old, a newborn, all the stuff that comes with it, plus luggage with two females.. Not helpless, but we made several trips to the car after waiting for 1/2 hour for a cart.

Comfortable sleeping, nice view

Otherwise a great stay !
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The waking up to the pounding of the workers ( construction) that could of waited till 9 am And the electric went out at nite one nite

The staff was great !!! Friendly and super helpful!!

It was an average stay. After not being able to sleep due to construction I was very unhappy
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

After driving seven hours all I wanted to do was take a nap. As soon as I lay down they were doing construction directly above my room. I called the front desk and was not offered a different room. I ended up taking a nap in my car

The breakfast was good. The bed was comfortable

I just think you need to start cleaning with bleach in the bathroom.paying to be woke up six hour b

When I went into the bathroom I was like it’s really nice in here until I had to used the toilet i it was disgusting I had to go to Rite Aid and get some Tilex with bleach. Sprayed it on the toilet in all this disgusting brown stuff coming out... so I clean it was cool until like 7:00 in the morning hammering in Beating on the wall had woke up than like 8:15 my friend called down to see where was the noise coming from we was told they had construction going on at 7:00am o’clock and the morning ..that wasn’t told to us Prior to checking in...

When I walked in I was thinking I can get used something like this, even when I got up to the room it’s nice.the housekeeper were nice..

Exactly what I needed.

Can’t think of a thing!

The bed was very comfy (which is the reason I pick Hampton Inn.) The breakfast was the best yet (Ireally liked the variety, and of course the bacon!)

Not sure if anyone really reads these things but we just checked our bill on line after booking more properties with Booking.com and it's a mess. They charged us for the room, took off the charges, recharged us for the room and then added on another $25 dollar charge which we have no idea what that is. This is all after the property was prepaid. UUGH now the process of getting this all fixed.

Clean room but power was out
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Power went out my last morning and I had to get dressed in the dark with no way to do my hair and cold shower. They did not have a backup generator and didn’t offer any compensation. I had a very important interview and was not happy to have had to get ready with no power. That really disturbed be because what if I wasn’t able to walk up and down the stairs or had a machine that needed power that aided my health. Some people go to hotels if they don’t have power. How does the hotel not have power? Also the air did not work and pillows were flat.

I like Rakia the housekeeper she was very friendly and made sure I had everything I needed. Breakfast was free and ok, front desk was nice front lobby was nice. WiFi was free and good to have. Room was clean, bed was comfy other than the pillows.

We had a very pleasant, enjoyable stay.

What could have been better? I felt that the bedskirt could have been neater. It was not put on well. There was not enough towels in the bathroom for the two of us the third night. Even with that we still enjoyed our stay there.

I appreciated the resourcefulness of the staff. I was very pleased with the way the representative took the time to help us find things to do in the area. The staff there was friendly and informative.

Hotel was fine. Booking site should have identified construction.

The hotel is undergoing complete renovation. No mention of it on the site when booking. Found out upon arrival at the front desk. Construction hours were reasonable (8 AM Sharp) but for the occasion when we wanted to sleep in....that wasn't an option as the construction noise was right outside our window. I realize this construction is of a temporary nature but I do feel that it should be declared during booking. The construction efforts also prohibited use of one elevator and construction debris did soil the elevator lobby area.

Complimentary continental (hot) breakfast was good. Sufficient selection. Staff at breakfast and room stewards were friendly. Front desk satff (Matt) was friendly and informative.

I was very disappointed in my stay here and I am a fan of Hampton inns but never will go to this one

I usually stay at the Hampton inns all the time this place I felt that I was not safe I would come back to the hotel no one was in the lobby I felt anyone could have walked in the air conditioner in the room made a loud noise everytime it was on

Easy access to main interstate and location to the university

There was not a negative in reference to the property itself. My concern took place in the room which I address to the staff.

Easy access to main interstate and location to the university

Great value for the money, friendly staff, good location
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Showers had very little water pressure A/C unit did not get the room to the set temperature. Not as modern as other Hampton Inns

Beds were comfortable, rooms were well furnished, and a good central location between Norfolk and the beach

Overall decent place to stay.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Beds not comfortable. Too far away from ODU where we were spending our days. TV remote was folded into bed sheets of made up bed one day.

Clean, plenty of room, ac outlet on top of nightstand, good breakfast buffet, decent prices.

This is a great hotel in a perfect location with great friendly staff

I really didn't like the breakfast. Luckily there is a Denny's restaurant I almost in the same parking lot as the hotel.

Breakfast was TERRIBLE.But the location was in a very great location near a lot of popular attractions, beach ,Dave n Busters, Golf, Ablut a 20 min drive to the Aquarium. But over all this was a very clean and comfortable hotel with very friendly staff. Every time I come to Virginia Beach this will be the first hotel of my choice. Out of all the hotels I've stayed in at Virginia Beach this one is by Far the best hotel.I would suggest a better Breakfast tho, But then again there is a Denny's restaurant almost in the same parking lot that is open for 24hours so if you don't like the breakfast as I did not you can just skip right on over to Denny's or maybe even the Cheesecake Factory that is not even 5 minutes up the street as well. If you have never been to Captain George's Seafood restaurant then this hotel is in a great area for you to go .

A good hotel.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We were recommended Dennys to eat at on arrival in the evening which was just around the corner but this turned out to be a terrible experience. No coffee or hot water available in the lobby on arrival mid evening.

Overall a good hotel. Location is good being just off the highway but there is very little immediately around the hotel. Breakfast was ok but we were expecting a little better given the price we paid.

Overall the experience was good but the sofa bed issue caused me to second guess cleanliness.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The sofa bed had dirty sheets on it and the mattress springs were painful to sleep on.

The breakfast options were perfect. All staff were friendly. The pool and the location was convenient. The front desk brought up clean sheets as requested in the late hour.

Overall I was pleased with the hotel & would recommend it to others

The bath tub seemed a bit worn & the bathroom had only few towels. The location was a little bit of a drive from the highway upon arriving to the property. However the drive to VA beach is not bad & is close to the ramp going there.

The staff were excellent & very accommodating. The hotel has nice amenities such as business area, free breakfast with good variety, lobby restroom has some toiletries if needed, free parking, swimming pool.

I enjoyed my stay.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Check out. Check in was great, staff very friendly. Checkout was not. Young lady seemed unhappy to be there and not very helpful at all. I checked out and realized I needed the card to get complimentary coffee and she didn't offer to help at all. Just stared at me

Could have been better..
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We'd been out fishing all morning and by the time we returned to our room between 3p-4p, it still had not been cleaned. We were out of clean towels and wash clothes. I went to the front desk to ask for me and was instructed to go to the fourth floor (we were staying on the third floor) and ask one of the cleaning ladies for more. Okay. I go to the fourth floor and the cleaning lady told me that she did not have any extra but would check to see if she could find some and bring them to our room on the third floor. Thirty minutes passed (we are waiting to take showers) and she is a no show. I go back to the fourth floor to ask what happened and she told me she couldn't find any. Back to the front desk and this time the front desk lady called someone in cleaning and they brought some to the front desk. Really! An hour later now. Room still has not been cleaned. I go back to let my boyfriend take a shower and I took the soiled towels and washcloths to the laundry on the fourth floor and paid to wash them myself since I needed to wash our clothes. Fortunately, I thought ahead to bring a roll of quarters and some Tide!!

The location was great as we were visiting friends in VA Beach.

Great experience

It would have been better if breakfast time is till 10:30AM not 10AM

I really like the staff. Very helpful and accommodating. Mr. Matt at the front desk gave us a warm greeting up on checking and Ms.Terry up on check out helped us to process our payment at the property. The house keeping crew greeted us with nice smile all 3 mornings we were there. That was impressive We thought we had to pay for bottled water but it was free of charge. that was a nice touch! My friend and I already decided we'll be back next summer! Thank you

The stay here was good even with the water pressure issue.

I wanted a waffle and was in line for it when the young lady came over to inform us that they were closing in 3 minutes and would not be enough time for waffles to be made. I thought was not guest friendly. You always go over & beyond for your guest to be pleased

I liked that coffee was always available. 2nd morning I did have potatoes &'sausage which were excellent

Overall excellent stay. Will stay again.

The only complaint I have is the breakfast was not good. Eggs looked over cooked and dry. Bacon was seriously undercooked.

Everything was great. Beds were comfortable, the room was clean, housekeepers were very polite and smiling.

Our stay was great!We enjoyed everything down there. The breakfast girls was really nice!!
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I called for extra blankets in the middle of the night twice an never got it.

My daughter love that the pool was heated a little instead of extra cold!We like how nice the breakfast girls was so early in the morning! We love that it wasn't to far from the beach and aqaurim. Overall the hotel an location was great!

Not what I expected from a Hampton.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

There were a lot of noisy guests (teenagers & small children) staying there for a reunion. And though I and my daughter complained about the noise it continued through the night until a quarter to 1. I think the staff should have done more. The morning hostess just apologized and said its always like that when there are reunions. I would have felt better if she had told me that the staff should have done more and that it wouldn't happen again. Or at least given me a discount on another stay. Because of a lack of sleep I felt lousy on my trip back home, there were kids banging on the walls, and running through the halls 'till 12:45 am. Ridiculous!

Great place for family
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The staff was friendly. Housekeeping was very professional and prompt. Breakfast was tasty amd always hot. Over all, the visit couldn't have gone any better!

Other hotels only wish their staff was as good as yours.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Cleanliness. (Carpet stains, bath tub stained and in need of refinishing.) Overall feel was that of an older hotel. Not housekeeping's fault.

The staff, especially Dana, were wonderful. Professional, personable, genuinely seemed to care about our needs. (Refrigerator not working) Also housekeeping was very good. (Extra towels and blankets)

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The pull out sofa was very very uncomfortable and bathroom tub had a crack on it other than that my stay was good.

the staff was very friendly bed comfortable.

Great place!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The price was a little high.

Super clean. Excellent staff, everyone was very friendly. Incredible breakfast, cereal, bagels, hot foods, and even a waffle maker! The pool was clean and nice to swim in. Did not have trouble finding a parking spot.

Staff nice, but room too cramped and walls too thin.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room was too small and cramped for my family of four. (2adults,2 young children).First night was peaceful but the second and third night was awful. Some of the other guest were very loud way after midnight. Very disturbing that they could be heard so easily in the hallway and next room. Walls are too thin. Will not stay here again.

The staff was nice and accommodating. Bed was comfortable and the continental breakfast was good.

We ran into a problem during check in and the manager was...
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We ran into a problem during check in and the manager was over accommodating and immediately assisted us. The situation worked out without incident and we would definitely stay again.

I liked the location of the property.

I wished the eating area was a little bigger. We skipped on breakfast because there was so many people trying to eat at once.

I liked the location of the property. It was very easy to get in and out. I liked that the room was a great size and that it was comfortable.

Convenient and family friendly

Pool towels were small.

The staff was very helpful by giving great suggestions of restaurants where locals would eat. Room was clean and exactly what our family of four needed.

Very clean rooms, the pool is a great added bonus, unlimited...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast area/lobby had a consistent smell of raw eggs, not pleasant by any means. ItwasveoooOoooverpoweringosssmellsmel..most

Very clean rooms, the pool is a great added bonus, unlimited coffee anytime of day

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Comfortable Stay, Great Breakfast
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms were very clean but a little outdated & worn; still, everything worked and was clean.

Excellent location, friendly staff, and a great breakfast selection offered. The rates were competitive & the complementary snack bag was a nice touch to keep us on the road longer for the trip back home.

Very outdated. Room wreaked of smoke.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Very tired and outdated hotel. This location desperately needs an update. Our room had an awful, smoky smell. I was not very comfortable and would not stay at this location again.

The lobby looked nice and very friendly and nice staff, rooms overall were clean.

Location great, hotel needs updating overall
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Hotel needs to be updated for the cost

Breakfast was hot fresh and slot of variety, bed was firm and room was clean, straight shot to the beach and top golf on the same road

Good for the price and good location
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There was a spider in our room upon arrival and the room was a bit dated with a small tv.

The breakfast was awesome and the housekeeping staff was exceptionally accommodating and friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Excellent Stay

No complaints

The room was clean and comfortable; the bed has a firm mattess. The breakfast had a wide variety of choices; It was organized and fresh.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Concerned
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Very disappointed in service at check in, front desk associate was confused & double billed my credit card - seemed untrained compared to other HAMPTON associates. Did not know how to access or verify my reservation... Very disturbing!!! Upon checking out the next day, asked desk associate to review my bill & she confirmed I had been double billed, she was able to remove from one credit card but really did not know why I had been billed twice, once @ Booking.com & then again when I checked in. This was very disturbing & caused me to wonder what was going on. Will serious consider other lodging accomodations when I travel again.

Convenient location & nice accomodations for age of hotel

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Nice staff, comfortable room
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Nothing, everything was fine.

We needed an early checkin at the last minute due to an injury. The front desk clerk had a room near the elevator and ice machine cleaned for us.

I wouldn’t book here again
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Bed bugs in pullout couch.... ironing board was dirty

Bathroom was clean

Bathroom toilet was loose from floor, and sheets on bed not...

Bathroom toilet was loose from floor, and sheets on bed not changed there were popcorn & crumbs between the sheets?

Overall satisfied
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We had to wait on eggs, no orange juice, no coffee cups

Overall satisfied

Enjoyed stay.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Enjoyed stay. Loved the pool and the room.

We had a nice time at the place.

The cleanliness of toilet

Breakfast was awesome...location was not far away from Virginia beach...

Food and convenience

Construction - parking

Food and convenience

The facility did not meet up to t he standards of other Hampton Inn facilities.

The ants in my room. Too few towels.

Convenience to the beach.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Our room smelled like weed

The pool

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Location was great.

Construction noise started before 8 am. Wanted to relax by the pool but the noise was too much.

Location was great. Awesome breakfast, friendly staff.

My stay was short but was nice
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No view and the rooms were just clean enough because i do not think the rest rooms in the room could be bit better.

Awesome breakfast

I liked it and I’d come back to stay another night with my family
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It didn’t have enough breakfast to choose from.

The beds felt amazing and the pool was great.

The employees were very friendly.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There was construction work going on that we were not aware of.

The employees were very friendly.

Construction on property.

Room had a musty smell

Construction on property. Hall carpets dirty

Would stay here again.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It was under renovation. Couldn't go and sit outside to much. Styrofoam everywhere.

It was out of the way. Quiet. Close to interstate.

Good breakfast, comfortable beds

The wait for the room

Good breakfast, comfortable beds

It was gr8
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Location, price , food and stuff was friendly .

AC in the was on even when you turned it off . The room was smelling paint .

Breakfast Was Great
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The Water Shut Off For About 3-4 Hours Which Was An Inconvenience.

Breakfast Was Great

The room was amazing, the bed was comfortable along with the pillows.

Everything was good so I didn’t dislike anything

The bed was so comforting & I slept well

Very good
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Construction going on at front

Breakfast is excellent. Employees are helpful.

The beds were comfortable but the pillows were horrible.

The beds were comfortable but the pillows were horrible.

NA

NA

For the time and purpose okay stay

Being under construction

The complimentary breakfast.

Would definitely stay here again

Breakfast was average

Bed was very comfy. Location was great..15 minutes to the beach and easy to get to