Reviews of Handlery Hotel San Diego 3 stars

950 Hotel Circle North, Mission Valley, San Diego, CA 92108, USA

#158 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Not what I expected
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

I was a little disappointed in the rooms, I guess for the price on a Tuesday night and from the pictures, I expected it to be a bit nicer.

The pool was nice and the wait staff at the pool were awesome. The beds were comfy.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Location was great.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The first room we had was tiny literally a small box! The restroom was outdated no tissues or extra toilet paper. The quality of the shower was poor. There was a chair in the restroom to assist with showering, which took up a lot of the space. There should be a disclaimer when booking this type of room!

Location was great. Third room change was finally a nicer room.

The rooms were very well maintained and clean it was good...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was a little bit of a let down for the price food was cold and quite basic..

The rooms were very well maintained and clean it was good value for money

The bed was very comfortable, the room had AC.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The bed was very comfortable, the room had AC. & the hotel was quiet. The tv positioned perfectly, the balcony was such a surprise as well. The staff is very personable there which is rare to find so I felt right at home and will definitely be back with my love! Thank you for the amazing stay!

Nice place to stay
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Bathroom too small. The toilet is too close to the door. Also, key card sometimes would not work on outside door and room. It might have just been my card.

Room was large and the pool was beautiful although the water was too cold for me. I just went into hot tub.

Great location to get to all nearby attractions in a comfortable hotel with helpful staff.

Nothing. All good

Good location, great pool, attached Bistro that does amazing pancakes and breakfasts. Room was large and comfortable, bathroom was large and well appointed and the shower was powerful. Parking was free for the duration of the stay in a barrier controlled car park which is a bonus.

Staff was very polite.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Pool bar closed to early. No elevator was very disappointing. Carry luggage up stairs is not fun especially for older people. No refrigerator in the room.

Staff was very polite.

The rooms were great.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Was never able to connect to the WiFi for some reason which was annoying. I followed the instructions on the information books provided in the room but to no avail. Also, for the price, I feel as if though a free breakfast would be in order or at the very least a free cup of coffee!

The rooms were great. Spacious and accomodating.

SMALL BEDS but overall okay
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The double beds were really small for families. They should offer larger beds as an option for families of 4 or more.

The pool area is good for families and the restaurant and bar area is great

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Would definitely stay there again.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

If you need to use laundry facilities be prepared to have lots of quarters! I’m sure in the 21st century it would be easier to use a credit card but there was no such option. The receptionist was very helpful and changed few dollars for coins to help with that, thank you! Be aware, the available parking will cost you extra even if you are staying at the hotel. It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Really nice restaurant at the property, breakfast/ dinner. Not cheap but a very pleasant and nice food too, great choice and service!

Very centrally located, pool a very good size and very warm,...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool bar only open Friday and Saturday.

Very centrally located, pool a very good size and very warm, staff helpful. Given free parking as we stayed 7 nights (should be $14 per night). Facilities in the room very good. Maid service excellent. Microwave and printer available to use in main hotel. Parking very easy and near to room.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

i liked how i didnt have maids waking me up wondering if im...
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

i liked how i didnt have maids waking me up wondering if im checking out. the place was very clean and didnt feel like i was staying at an airport with overly done security breathing down my neck and every move i made. i was sleeping well with their very comfy beds. i will stay here again.

Terrible location with rude staff
    • Standard King Room

Shuttle bus for airport was eventful as the driver was abusiver when we said we were told it was taken care of by the hotel by a member of staff and we had to pay in the end.

Room was comfortable

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

The good the bad and the ugly
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

This is an older property. The buildings and grounds were tired looking.

The room had been renovated and the location was convenient to many attractions.

Hotel manager to me to call Booking.com
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

I arrived at the hotel around 12:30 pm, showered and got into bed. I was extremely tired from a six hours flight. Around 1:30 the air conditioner started to smell, and very foul odor, couldn't sleep, even put the sheets over my head, unbearable. I had to turn the air conditioner off, the room became hot and stuffy. I wasn't able to fall asleep until after 4:00am, very uncomfortable and unhealthy to breathe.

Very clean, comfy bed, very up to date usb chargers,...
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

There isn’t a fan in the bathroom so everything gets stuffy and fogged up quickly but not a huge issue.

Very clean, comfy bed, very up to date usb chargers, spacious.

Our stay was 13 days, prepaid. Charges not adjusted if we checked out early. so we stayed
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

No microwave in room, no cable or WiFi available, no elevator. The buildings and grounds, walkways, laundry room were neglected and unclean. We had to change rooms due to plumbing problems w/o assistance.

breakfast buffet very well layout..however over priced. The pool was outstanding.

Pool was good ,room good size ,staff very friendly
    • Superior King Room

Bar opening times closes at 10pm , could do with a shop on site , if no car shops about 20mins walk away

Pool was good ,room good size ,staff very friendly

No elevator and I have to carry my heavy stuff via stairs.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

No elevator and I have to carry my heavy stuff via stairs. They cannot find my parcels which arrived and I have to check my tracking number and ask to double check on following days. Old building smell everywhere.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room bin was emptied on 2 occasions. Staff knocking at door at 8am offering room service not housekeeping and returned 20mins later.doing the hard sell.breakfast wasnt good.poor selection

For what we paid... I could of actually stayed at a 5 star hotel. Def Not worth the price
    • Premier Double Room

Size of room

Paid price of a 5 star hotel booked a premir room.. Expected that value but was very disapointed in actual room size. Tiny rooms.. Even tinier bathroom. No microwave... No bathroom exhaust... Only great thing was location of room with pool access and. View.

Worst stay ever

Staff

The night manager was very offensive and ride! made us feel low,paying over 200 plus for a night you would think we would be treated nice. my bf caught the security guard peeking in the peephole in the door. So we were about to call front desk when low and behold she called us seems like he was covering up his mistake told her what happened she told me I was paranoid and I was lieing accused us for having the tv loud wasn't even on her tone her attitude just utterly shocked me if you want a rude exp don't go never going there again Evelyn was her name you guys have security cameras in the halls should be there she made this exp horrible I can't believe how she treated us never ever again teach your managers some manners

Unpleasant
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The bed was uncomfortable, the bathroom set up was not functional, shower was too small and water pressure wasn't strong, the bed was not queen size it was full. The hotel didn't even try to accommodate transportation to anyone that had to walk to the next hotel seminar where CASAS Institute was being held.

The restaurant was excellent

The room was clean, bed is comfortable.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Breakfast is not included on the price per night. I know it's not under the management's control on how visitors will be when they check-in but one night somebody was so loud that they were banging on somebody's door and yelling making commotions and there's no security to stop or check them.

Room is clean and bed is comfortable.

The room set up is horrible they have the bathroom right...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room set up is horrible they have the bathroom right next to the door u can’t open the main door and the bathroom at the same time. The bathroom is outdated they need to do some remodeling. Not worth it!! To expensive. I’ve stayed in 5 stars and paid less.

I was in love with how comfy the bed was.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

How the rooms are seperated in different buildings.

I was in love with how comfy the bed was. I just think it was a little overpriced for a simple hotel. The rooms werent that much difference from a regular priced hotel.

Is nice.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

I tried ordering drinks while I was in the pool and it was difficult ordering the drinks and once I placed the order the wait time was twenty minutes.

The entire staff was amicable, the bed was super comfy, there were enough towels, and the bottles of water in the room were a nice touch. I couldn't hace asked for a better experience.

No elevator in the structure, the building is quite old,...
    • Superior King Room

No elevator in the structure, the building is quite old, there's no shower but just the tub and lights are not centralized with the key card. Overall it's comfortable, however.

Will never stay there again.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

when we checked in there were chips on the carpet, in bathroom no fan, shower handle fell off, water in tub did not drain. Beds had hard mattresses! the so called heated pool had cold water!!! I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Close to Old Time San Diego

Okay.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

There were a lot of ants in my room. There were days that I would wake up and see ants on my pillows and my sheets. I reported it to the front desk nothing was done.

The first night I walked in I saw my goodie bag and the view from my room was beautiful.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fantastic free shuttle to sea world and the zoo. Facilities were great although the gym could do with an upgrade. Staff were amazing. Would definatly stay again

It was a beautiful property.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The room service was sub par. Food was good but an item from our order was forgotten and when we had to call to check on our order status, we were hung up on.

The location was great.

Will be back. Husband retired and needs to find a hobby or I'll be back 1-2 times month
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

My last morning there, the blow dryer blew up...

Everybody was very friendly. Security guard Robert and Benjamin from the front desk were entertaining to talk to.

Not the best but it will do. If you can, spend your money elsewhere.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

A view would have been good for the price, the bathroom had little to no space and was dim. There was no fitted sheet on our bed and the corner of our sheets had blood on them, maybe they didn't get changed? Free breakfast would have been a nice accommodation to offset the other negative aspects. Instead we paid $15 per person for a typical continental breakfast.

Towels were super scratchy and the room was dirty. You can tell this is an old hotel.

Clean room Pleasant staff
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The parking situation is not ideal. My visitor was unable to visit me without paying a $14 daily parking fee. No free parking for a visitor. Who was stopping by for 15 mins.

Clean room Pleasant staff

Awful

The lady manager in front desk was a complete bad ass and very lack of hospitality. Also when we arrive the give me a room with out the clean member check and it was a complete mess with all the room turn around and bottles of wine and towels all over the please it was a complete mess, i very bad experience, never coming back

The room was nice but

It was a peaceful stay and close to everything in San Diego.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The room was quiet and clean. It was close top all of the travel spots in San Diego. Old Town is less than 3 miles away. You don't even have to get on the freeway!

• Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Pillows kept slipping down the gap in the headrest and mattress and everything kept falling out of the bar fridge. Nothing major.

Everything really staff were really friendly and helpful. There was a lovely security guy called Robert who was awesome to have a chat to.

Customer service was great!
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

too much noise, young teenagers knocking on doors and running away, I had to call front desk, happen twice, I didn't see security personal.

Customer service was great! restaurant food was delicious.

Unhappy
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Nothing I was very disappointed , the room was a shoe box room next door argued all night got no sleep, there was a feminine napkin thrown on the restroom floor the sink was clogged up u had to walk forever to get to the room. I spoke to office they to their credit gave me another room but the cabinet door to fridge was broken the patio doors didn't lock everything is just old and out dated. Very unpleasant experience. I won't waste my money there in the future.

I don't feel that the hotel was worth the money we paid but wasn't a bad place to stay.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The room felt and smelled really musty. Like it was in a basement and the air just overall felt overly moist. The fitness center was a nice addition but was cramped and dirty. I did not even see any sanitary wipes to wipe down the machines after use which is concerning.

The bed was nice and so were the sheets. Did not swim but the pool looked really clean.

The hospitality and overall atmosphere of the Handlery in San Diego is superb.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Shout out to Byron, our shuttle driver. He was so nice with some interesting stories. He made the drive to and from the SD Zoo fun. Overall, amazing experience at the Handlery.

Labor Day Vacation
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Air conditioner would not work properly. Vents were very dirty. Internet was spotty.

Nice swimming pool, location near downtown San Diego and local restaurants.

Great place to stay!Will stay again our next trip to Ca.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Disappointing didn't get the adjoining rooms requested or facing pool. But, they were able to get us close to the pool (Had an elderly person with who wanted to use pool and couldn't walk well or use stairs.) And only 2 rooms away from each other.

Very pretty place,clean, staff around and friendly and helpful.

Very Charming

nothing to dislike!

This place is a classic... a tropical paradise in the middle of town! All staff helpful & courteous. Lovely pool, comfortable rooms. Close to everything, but out of the congestion of the area, with easy access from all directions. unfortunately, didn't eat at hotel.

I love staying in the property , but I did not that they...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool n rooms n the employee r pretty good nmanaget

I love staying in the property , but I did not that they charge me multiful times in my credit card , it it overdrawn my Acct , other than that I like the property cuz it's clean n cozy

Loved the pool, perfect for my toddler.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Two mornings there was a delivery or something with a large truck and they were making soooo much noise. It wss super early too, so I wasn't happy that my toddler was woken up. I would have also liked a small couch or comfortable chair in the room.

Loved the pool, perfect for my toddler.

Overall a good stay.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

The cobweb hanging from the ceiling light as you enter the room. Only one bar of soap was given for the sink and bath/shower. The room smelled a little musty. I did not like being given a room with 2 full beds when I was expecting a king bed room.

The bed was okay and the staff was nice. There was also a fridge in the room. The place is a little dated but if you just need a place to stay while sight seeing it is an okay place to stay. Also parking was included in our reservation which was nice. The pool also looks nice. Lastly pay attention to what you are booking as we thought we were booking a King room but it says in small print King or 2 fulls beds and that was an issue at first but they then were able to put us in a King room.

Very pleasant stay overall. Would recommend , safe large parking lot.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Price per night a little high for size of room , no view or balcony to get air from. Basic room but clean and safe

Easy access off freeway, clean and comfort room but nothing special, not having a dresser for clothes a little disapointing but overall fun stay with the pool area and bar very nice. Good place to hold large functions . Good coffee at lobby

Great place for a family and kids
    • Superior King Room

The internet was extremely poor so for non-locals this could be a problem. The drink prices at the pool bar were way overpriced.

The pool area was so relaxing and if you wanted to see the sights shuttles were available.

We were able to check in a bit early ~ great.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

One bottom of top cover bed sheet was stained ~ not so good. There was also a brightly colored container cap on edge of bathtub ~ definitely not good.

We were able to check in a bit early ~ great. Refrig in room not functioning. Called front desk and within 3 minutes maintenance was at our door, diagnosed problem, removed and brought back de-iced machine w/in 10 minutes ~ wonderful! Q-tips in the bathroom ~ fabulous!! Coffee pods ~ surprisingly delicious ~ wish we had more! Every employee was friendly and professional.

Convenient, comfortable, clean and roomy with a little parking fee.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Maybe the parking fee and if your on the upper level, I think there's no elevator.

Perfect location and generous parking with a reasonable fee. Room and facilities were fantastic, clean and roomy. Doesn't have microwave but appreciate the shuttle bus to SeaWorld. We would definitely rebook this hotel. FYI the pool is heated.

Mattress and box springs years past lifetime
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Mattress was horrible probably from when it was new. Had to call front desk twice to get bath soap. Never replaced soap or shampoo. Still had the one soap for three days. Toilet seat about to fall off.

It was quiet

Dirty place to stay.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dirty place and old. For the price I paid its not worth it, I had to cut my stay only for 1 night.

Old and dirty. The wall paper are bubbling up, carpet is flity and the smell will get to you.

Not my cup of tea.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

No balconies unless you paid a lot more money a night for them. No views. Didn't like that you had to pay for parking when that wasn't listed in the ad. And other Hotels on Hotel Circle did not charge parking. Would have liked more restaurants at the hotel. Would have liked more Concierge help as to what to do and where to go. Got no help at all. The hotel was fair but I will not stay there again. Even the pool would have been nicer if the water was warmer, we went in June. Also would have liked to know more about the cost of fees before checking out. Booking.com should reveal those fees. Wish they had free HBO like most hotels do these days. Also very noisy. Not much noise reduction from hallways or windows. Could hear babies crying all the way down the hall with the doors closed and the TV on.

The beds were nice and the maids were awesome. The room service was amazing too. The rooms were always very clean and well stocked. Their pizza was very good, the kids loved it.

Beats expectations for the price!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wish the pool bar was open more!

Pool area was fantastic, wish we had a longer there! Great service amazingly helpful, all round great stay will highly recommend this place!

Average stay for the price, good location.
    • Standard King Room

The walls were very thin, we were able to hear the guests 2 rooms down having a conversation. One laundry area for the entire property that had 2 working washers; was very poorly maintained with trash debris that overflowed onto the floor.

The easy parking was convenient

The bed was comfortable and we had a nice view too.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

There should be hotel coffee available somewhere, that is not $4.00 a cup. Other than that, I really enjoyed staying at the Handlery.

The bed was comfortable and we had a nice view too. Property is very lush with a tropical feel... loved that!

Not great, but not bad
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Because it's old, the room and bathroom are pretty small. Walls are thin - my neighbor kept me up throughout the night and morning with his loud voice. The exercise room is very small and not kept up: it was pretty dirty, no cups for the water, and TVs don't work.

The hotel is in a pretty good location. Easy to get to everything and out of the way of downtown traffic. It's an old hotel (most are old in this area) but it's been updated a little, and it was clean. Nice pool, friendly staff.

not a place i will stay again , they arent all that accommodating
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

I didn't like the fact that they don't allow visitors to enjoy the pool with you , they charge for parking and if you have visitors come to see you they are charged 1.50 for each half hour they are there. I don't like the fact that they charge your card incidentals just in case you happen to have any at the end of your stay they refund it however that usually takes a few (5) days to get it put back on your card, on the last day we woke to hear workers outside our door

the staff was wonderful , the room was spacious except for the bathroom , the room service was quick and the cost was reasonable for what you got , the food was very good

The area was peaceful.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we first walked into the lobby to check-in, it smelled really bad (strong dog odor and dog poop). There was a bar on lobby ewwww BUT staff were super friendly and helpful. The property needs some major TLC. Carpet to rooms need updating and daily deep cleaning. My bed and floor had dog poop!!! The beds were made BUT there was poop on the inside of comforter and sheets. They responded quickly and did service recovery with free parking on our 5 night stay and $10 off one night. They could have done better. Overall,without that poop incident in my room and the first impression when we walked in lobby....it would have been a good experience.

The area was peaceful. The parking area was secure. The quick response from staff when we had a problem.

EXCELLENT and ENJOYABLE
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. If you had questions about restaurants, directions, attractions they were very helpful. If you needed anything all you needed to do was ask. Our two granddaughters had a great time in there Giant Pool. Facility staff was fast, friendly and efficient. Housekeeping always there and the restaurant Postcards had one of the Best Pizza I've ever had

Not the best stay, but better than a motel.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Cleaning service did not to a good job. Only bed was made, no trash was thrown out. The coffee machine was very dirty and left water disgusting when I tried to make tea. Killed two spiders during the stay.

Free parking was great, front desk was very kind and helpful.

motel/hotel hybrid
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

my car was broken into overnight in the parking lot. There was loitering outside the entrance to the buildings. The property is a hybrid of a motel and a hotel. I just wish there would have been more security.

large parking lot for a boat.

Ok value for money
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

No free continental breakfast, the one offered was quite expensive Got a room in a building far away from the pool area which led to that we never even went to check it out Room was a little humid, hard to get the right temperature

Polite man in the lobby Lots of parking spots available

The pool was the biggest benefit of this hotel.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool was the biggest benefit of this hotel. The bar was nice but small and the rooms set in rather unattractive two storey blocks without lifts. The location of the hotel was not central and we would have preferred a more central setting. Having said that we used Lyft to get around who were excellent.

Workers where very friendly.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

We booked for non smoking and someone was smoking in the building and it wasn't cigarettes. The smell was horrible I had to get out of my room with my kids.

Workers where very friendly.

Not family oriented
    • Superior King Room

People were up all hours of the night partying and yelling, doors were heard slamming until 3am. Overall not a good location to stay at when traveling with children and getting up early in the morning. Our room had no number labeled on the outside to locate it was our room and when you go through the door with no nimber it goes into another room with two doors then labeling our room with the number.

The hotel itself was ok the room was clean.

Hotel hot Restaurant not!
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

I waited "to be seated" my first morning at hotel restaurant, "Postcards" and was ignored by wait staff for five minutes despite the desk clerks attempts to attract attention by ringing the restaurant's phone. I was told by the desk clerk to seat myself. Another guest arrived and was quickly shown to a table, given a menu and asked if they wanted coffee. The waitress then moved quickly to the kitchen with just a glance toward me. It was obvious that I would not be having breakfast at "Postcards" nor did I for my entire nine day stay.

Clean room.

The location was excellent for the wedding we were attending...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The fixtures were loose from the wall of the shower. The carpet and decor could use updating. The hallways were a bit shabby.

The location was excellent for the wedding we were attending, The pool area was nice.

Good family hotel.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is quite bit expensive considering the large amount of available spaces and how far it was from town.

Very comfortable beds. Good to have a balcony. A quiet hotel, that s suitable for families.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Anniversary trip
    • Standard King Room

Friendly staff, clean room, resort was larger than I expected. Restaurant was nice for breakfast. The parking lot was gated and it was nice not to have to struggle to find parking!

Don't like the parking staff flirting with my husband...
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Don't like the parking staff flirting with my husband and waiving towards our balcony. Need professional staff. I wish I would have walked down to see who it was.

We were able to check in early.
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Bathroom was a bit small and had a few ants but overall very comfortable.

We were able to check in early. And was able to refund my credit card when we had to charge a different card after the first initial one.

Noisy
    • Special Offer - Room Selected at Check-In

Adjoining rooms horrible and archaic. The hotel was full of rambunctious partiers and family's with children. Also, every time we flushed our toilette water would ooze out if the seal around the base.

Location is central