Reviews of Harborside Inn 3 stars

185 State Street, Financial District, Boston, MA 02109, USA

#43 of 81 hotels in Boston

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The room was on a courtyard looking across to other rooms so kept blinds down which made the room very dark.

The room was very spacious and bed was king size and very comfortable. The location perfect right next to faniel hall.

• Queen Room with City View

It didn't bother me, but people should probably know that there isn't a full service restaurant where they can have breakfast. There is a Starbucks in house that offers baked goods and breakfast sandwiches.

The room was clean and comfortable and very quiet. I like the modern decor of both the bathroom and bedroom. My room price was around $200 which is considerably less than many other Boston Hotels. I'd stay there over and over.

Good location, bed comfortable

The gentleman on reception was completely disinterested & unhelpful when I checked in Other staff seemed a bit better. Room felt a bit dingy even though I had one with a window. The room had quite a bit of outside noise.

• Queen Room with City View

After three nights/days walking around BOS I did not see a better hotel location than this one. There are two different Hop on Hop off trolley tours, New England Aquarium, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, BHC (Boston Harbor Cruise's) for a sunset cruises, Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks and a Blue Line T train stop all within a block. We took the Blue Line T train from the BOS airport, 2 stops and got off at the Aquarium across the street from Harborside Inn. From and back to the airport was easy and the cheapest way $5.50 per round trip ticket. We used hop on hop off trolley tour for two days for all the transportation to the tourist attractions stops and to get us closer to other areas we wanted to see. One trolley tour has about 19 stops the other has about 9. We ate at The Black Rose, a block over, twice. Another place we ate at worth mentioning was Quattro about 10 blocks north (we walked there and went through the Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park) in less than 10 minutes. We would eat either restaurant again!

• King Room with Atrium View

We had "atrium view" with our the deluxe room which basically was a small window to the tiny inner courtyard. Everybody walking by at the other side could look into the room, so we had to close the jalousie all the time. As a result, there was almost no daylight in the room. Unfortunately, the lights in the atrium weren't turned off at night and even with the jalousie, I didn't sleep too well because of that. There is no minibar in the room (but an empty mini-fridge) and also no breakfast included. At least, downstairs is a little café where you can buy a coffee and a croissant.

Our king-size bed was very big and really comfortable (probably one of the best I've had so far in the US), with a lot of pillows. The room was very big, too. Our bathroom was beautiful with good products - even hair conditioner. You can dim the lights in the room which was a nice detail. The hotel is very central to the harbor and the place where all ferries and whale watching boats start. In the bar was one musician at night singing live!

A pool

The bed was amazingly comfortable, Very satisfactory service. Prices vary I'd imagine but all things considered excellent facility so close to everything.

• King Room with Atrium View

Wish there was free parking or at least parking a bit closer. The hotel does offer 20% off parking costs and the garage is less than a block away from the actual hotel.

The location was perfect - a block from Quincy Market and the metro is right out the front door. Absolutely stunning hotel with interesting design details. The room was big enough to hold a yoga session in.

• Queen Room with City View

It would be very hard to find anything negative to say about our stay here.

About and beyond the incredible location of this hotel we found it to be very clean and comfortable. From the minute we first walked through the door until we checked out we felt very welcomed. The gentlemen at the desk greeted us with a warm hello every time we passed. The rooms are a little small but with some much to do in the area we were only there to change and sleep. If you want to really experience the best of Boston I highly recommend staying here.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The reception staff didn't seem to care

It' character. An old warehouse converted to a modern hotel but retaining much of the original features

• Queen Room with City View

A little bit noisy from the street.

I spent there just several hours (needed hotel for 1 night in Boston), but I'd like to stay there for more (may be next time). Room was very nice and stylish. I spent may be 40 minutes in the morning to walk around and saw a lot of interesting places.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Arrived to find a crying woman in the bed at my assigned room. Still baffled at how it was possible for her to be in the room that I had just been given a key for. No, she was not on the cleaning staff. There was liquid soap in the mouthwash bottle, suggesting reuse, and not even accurately, of the toiletries. Noisy. Mattress lumpy. A/C too cold and thermostat settings didn't come close to matching reality. Front desk staff NOT FRIENDLY. Elevators broke a lot. It's very dark. I notice that the TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews have the same reply to each one, verbatim. Copy/paste. I stayed there because assigned by the conference I was attending. Did not choose this place. $775 for two nights!!! Nope, no breakfast, no coffee, no smiles.

Location by the Aquarium T and walkable to North End.

• King Room with Atrium View

I was surprised with an interior room, the window looking into a small interior atrium that connects to the elevator bank. So with my window open, I see everyone coming out of the elevator. That was different!! For the money, I expected a window the outside at the least. I called the front desk immediately to switch and was told they were full. This was unfortunate. I loved the location and travel to Boston often for work. I won’t be going back!!!

Location is near Long Wharf, the Market area and North end!

• Queen Room with City View

Unable to make a cup of tea/coffee in the room, in a (washable) china cup - and then, having fetched it from downstairs, throwing away quantities of paper and plastic.

Ideal location, very nice bathroom, good wardrobe space, nice atmosphere in the public areas.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Booked Queen Room with Atrium View - Could not open the windows as it is very close to the corridor(near lift) and opposite room.

We stayed for a night the room is comfortable Very close to the Aquarium(and Whale Watch) & Quincy Market Lot of restaurants near by

• Queen Room with City View

Would be nice to have coffee in lobby or rooms

Pleasant staff. Well-appointed rooms. Funky but warm feel to property. Easy access to all kinds of things to see and do for business or pleasure.

• Queen Room with City View

Excellent location. Two blocks from some Freedom Trail attractions and the waterfront. Very helpful and friendly staff. Very clean and comfortable room.

• Queen Room with City View

I think that most of if not all the rooms might look the same.....should have romantic rooms if they don’t already and if they do advertise them because I don’t know

Loved the location, and the hotel as a whole was very nice

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Parking is expensive, but pay the price to put your car in a garage (75 State Street Parking), so you don't have to think about the car until you leave

It's an excellent location to be able to walk to most everything in Boston. Make sure you walk to Hanover St. and the North Church. There's history everywhere.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

It didn’t have a microwave or a coffee maker ☹️ And after walking around Boston, you almost always have stuff to bring back and want to heat up and just relax. So was a bit disappointing. Also my bf cannot wake up without coffee. So would have been nice to have a coffee maker so we could grab a cup before hitting the streets of Boston.

I loved the location and size of room was just right in Boston and that huge mirror was a plus as a woman :)

• King Cabin Room

They don't have any parking. You have to pay at a garage down the street.

Really cute boutique hotel in a great location. There's a great Irish restaurant/bar right across the street.

• King Cabin Room

For that price I should be able to take a nice shower and the shower head was so outdated and horrible. Seriously disappointing for that price. Also the guy at the front desk never told us about a voucher we needed to park. He just told us where to park and that it would be $40 for 24 hours. We had no idea about a voucher and it cost us $87 for less than 24 hours and there was nothing the parking attendants or the hotel could do so that felt like a scam!

The room was clean! The bed was comfortable and there was a refrigerator which was great. It was a nice place to rest our heads and it was right in the city so the location could not be better!

• Queen Room with City View

Blanket was not comfortable, shower was a tiny shower head with no water pressure, street was very noisy with large trucks going by and traffic noise was extremely loud. Room was 80 degrees upon arrival. No bottled water available or breakfast options or even coffee in lobby. Was politely sent down the street for breakfast/coffee.

Friendly staff who went above and beyond to try to be accommodating. Bed and sheets were comfortable and lobby was very cool.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

We chose a atrium view room and it was nice. The bathroom is modern. We really enjoyed that there is a bar on the main level where you can order food from a local restaurant. We stopped at the bar two of the nights we stayed to get a couple drinks before going out. We also liked that although there was not a coffee maker in the room we were able to go to the lobby and buy Starbucks. Overall it was a great location for us since we didn't rent a car during our visit. We loved that it was a quick walk to the North End along with so many other great things Boston has to offer.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

There was nothing my wife and I didn't like.

My wife and I loved the overall appearance of the property... a renovated mill-style look. The brick walls with wood and metal accents were unique and tasteful. The room opposite the check-in desk was a classy study-like room. Although we didn't use the bar across the hall from the main desk, it looked very inviting and pretty. Our room (#412) had a beautiful view of local buildings; the lights from the buildings were so nice we slept with the blinds open. An added bonus...we needed a bottle of water and there is a 7-Eleven conveniently located just around the corner from the hotel. Finally, the staff was very accommodating: after check-out, they allowed us to keep our luggage safely stowed in the room behind the front desk so we wouldn't have to haul our luggage all day long as we walked around Boston.

• King Cabin Room

We we booked into a cabin room at first. The room was in the basement with no window so we asked if there was another room available with a window. They gave us another room on the 6th floor with 2 small windows but the room was very old. The floors creaked loudly when you walked and it was very distracting and annoying...we were only there for 1 night so we made do...

The location was very good

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Interior design is dark and stuffy. No windows (there are counties where labor in rooms without day light is illegal. Considering that I travel for work I would not chose a hotel without daylight in the rooms).

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Parking was expensive. There was no natural light in the room because the one window in the room faced a closed off central atrium. The bedding seemed old. Not much good lighting in the room.

The location was great.

• King Cabin Room

We were in a basement room that had no windows which for me was a bit claustrophobic however I was made aware of this prior to our trip. If we were to stay again I would make sure to book a room on an upper floor.

Bed was comfortable and easily accessible to Faneuil Hall and Aquarium.

• Queen Room with City View

Bath towels could’ve been better. Ours were worn and frayed on the edges

Staff pleasant,room clean,bed comfortable and always a bonus with me to have an iron in the room!

• Queen Room with City View

The hotel was beautiful! Our room had a huge mirror and brick walls and the bathroom was so pretty and clean with fresh towels made in Boston. There's a bar open downstairs until 1am that lets you buy a bottle of wine and bring it up to your room which was perfect for us after a long day exploring. This will be my hotel of choice in Boston now.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

When I asked about the parking I was under the impression it was included and I had to pay an extra $39 when I left the garage. Also my cc statement is currently not charged the amount in the invoice I received at check out. I am waiting a couple days to see if it adjusts

Price

• Queen Room with Atrium View

they only offer queen size beds so unfortunately if you are travelling with a friend vs a spouse/partner you have to share a bed.

it's not too big and nice atmosphere - great how they retained the brick walls but added modern touches as well. The bar/lounge has reasonably priced drinks and had live music which was a great way to end the night after attending a Boston Bruins hockey game. The location is great as we could walk everywhere.

• Queen Room with City View

We were told the wrong information about the parking garage and were double charged when we went to leave. We would have come back to the car hours sooner if we knew we would be charged for an entire second days stay. We were told by a staff member that there was some time to spare and we wouldn’t get charged again for an entire nights stay again and we were, and no one in the parking garage, or the hotel was of any help. Parking went from being $33 to $67 for just one over night stay!!

Comfortable bed, easy check in, nice clean room, nice staff. Starbucks in the lobby :)

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The electronics could use some updating. And a cable option to where I can use a guide to see what’s on instead of trying all the channels. Unless it’s really sunny out and there’s natural light coming in, the room is rather dark.

The showers were really nice. My 6’4” boyfriend was able to stand up straight because the shower head was nice and high. There was a huge mirror to make sure you looked good in before you go out. Had a bar right in the lobby.

• Queen Room with City View

The televisions and DVD components were very old. One elevator was not working or not in use.

The location was the best. The manager was very accommodating.

• Queen Room with City View

The room did not have a stunning view, as I was led to believe by the company that booked my stay.

unique building. great common space. very nice staff.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

We had a room with atrium view, and it was rather dim, would recommend to paint the rooms in white or some other color, the brownish yellow paint is not good. A bit outdated furnitures.

The location was great, blue line just outside the hotel, and close to many attractions and stores. The room was clean and spacious, good bathroom and shower, nothing to complaint. Lobby is fine. Would book it again if in Boston.

No parking

When booking a room you should get room you booked and also the parking for the price you pay should be free $170+ for one night is ridiculous cause you pull in front of place to see where you park leave your car only to come back to having a ticket on your car

• Queen Room with City View

Location was great. Right in the heart of the historic district and a short walk to the great food in the North End. Loved the little coffee bar in the morning and the roomy use of the space for cocktails in the evening.

• King Room with Atrium View

Disappointed that the rate when we got there was cheaper than what Booking.com offered me. I paid $224 and rate was $209. The rep could not adjust because of my thirs party booking. For amount of time booked in advance, Booking.com should be offering their clients the cheapest rate.

Great location. Spacious clean room.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

friendly staff and great location. I had an internal room with no view to outside which I always find strange, but no big deal. Nice bar in the hotel with a few good beers on tap.

• Queen Room with City View

only one elevator, working with some difficulty. Lots of noise on 8th floor. Sofa bed - asked for linen which didn’t fit and had to make the bed ourselves. Too pricy.

Perfect location. Liked the interior design!

• King Room with Atrium View

The bed was not as plush as I'd like and the window blinds did not keep much light out. I'll just be sure to bring a sleeping mask next time!

Everyone working at the hotel were so nice! I felt very welcome, safe and what an amazing location too!It was also really quiet which I loved since I was expecting some rowdiness the weekend of St. Paddy's day.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The room was very dark with very little lights, the bed was quite small and not very comfortable

The staff were very friendly and the location was perfect

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The bed and bedding weren’t very comfortable. The hotel also charges an additional 20% up front, as a security deposit. They don’t tell you this before they do it, and if it is on the website somewhere, I missed it.

The location was perfect, and was close to shopping and restaurants. The room was very comfortable and quiet. The shower was amazing. There is a Starbucks on site in the morning, and a bar in the evening. The room was very clean, and the lobby was always clean and smelled very good.

• Queen Room with City View

Elevators were a little slow

Location, location, location......right near Feniull Hall and all the hot spots. Clean, quaint, perfectly prices. Would visit again for sure!

• Queen Room with Atrium View

We wish you had a bigger room and could bring our kids.

We love the overall feel of this hotel. It’s quaint and very comfortable even though it’s located in the city area. Everyone is really friendly. Room is very clean and comfortable

• Queen Room with City View

My only concerns were the room had only mini blinds and no curtains . Felt a bit exposed even with the shades drawn . Also , the hairdryer had coffee spills on it when I went to use it and we hadn't had any coffee or other beverage in the room . Carpet needed to be better vacuumed as I found a fingernail ( not mine ) on the floor :(

The front desk staff were great to deal with and very pleasant . It was St. Paddy's day and even though we were on the 1st floor , we did not hear any street noise . Location was perfect to downtown and we walked everywhere .

• Queen Room with City View

It was just a bit noisy outside as our window faced a busy side street. The hotel itself, rooms and hallways were quiet. I would suggest a noise machine to maybe block out some of the busy side street noise.

From the moment of check in, the staff was wonderful. Extremely friendly and helpful. The location is amazing and perfect for all we wanted to do in the Faneuil Hall, North End, Aquarium district.

• King Cabin Room

Parking is not attached to the hotel it's 2 blocks down the street. We were told that there was a breakfast and their was none unless you bought at Starbucks, which is very expensive.

We were told that there was a breakfast and their was none unless you bought at Starbucks. Parking is not attached to the hotel it's 2 blocks down the street.

• Queen Room with City View

The Harborside has been my preferred place to stay when i go to Boston. The rooms are always clean. The bed is probably he most comfortable i have ever slept on. And the staff is always extremely friendly.

• Queen Room with City View

Hotel bedrooms are beginning to look a little tired. No way of holding water in the washbasin for shaving - ie. no plug or mechanical plug mechanism.

Location and ease of use. Front desk staff were good, but not as welcoming/friendly/helpful as on my previous visit

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Coffee shop says it opens at 6. It really opens around 6:30. Maybe it was an off day after the big storm so I’ll give them a pass on this one.

Staff is wicked nice! Bar / Restaurant has great food and good drinks.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Well appointed room with rustic brick and an excellently remodeled bathroom/shower. Great location central to many attractions. There were restaurants at every turn and everything was within reasonable walking distance.

• Queen Room with City View

I didnt have any dislikes about the hotel.

The hotel looked very classy. I liked having a key to get in my room, rather than a card you would swipe to access your room.

• King Cabin Room

There was NOTHING I didn't like nor was there anything I could find fault with. No idea how I happen to have found this hotel but can't imagine staying anywhere else on my trips to Boston!

The hotel was fantastic! We opted to stay in a cabin which is below ground level so there was no window but there was also no noise and no outside lights. There were two stairs we had to take to access the cabin which wasn't a problem for us. We took the elevator to the lower level and just carried our stuff from the landing, down the two stairs to the room. We had a very comfortable king size bed with 6 very comfy pillows, a couch, a table with two chairs, room safe, small refrigerator, tons of shelves to put things up off the floor. Bathroom was roomy, modern and upscale. The room had it's own heat/cooling plus they provided a fan in the closet. The room felt very spacious. I never heard a person, a door, a sireen... nothing! The bar had to have been right above us but never heard anything from up there either. As a tourist, it was in walking distance to everything we wanted to do. .02 miles to Aquarium, .6 miles to children's museum, .6 miles to Boston Common and downtown shopping, 2 minute walk to Fanuel Marketplace, 30 second walk to Seven Eleven, Dunkin Donuts and there are Starbucks everywhere. We ordered take out from the Black Rose... food was excellent, plentiful and reasonable. It was a 30-45 second walk from our hotel. Tons of places within easy walking distance to eat or go out at night. The lobby of the hotel is awesome... couches, computers, tables and chairs and the bar is right on the other side as well as a cafe type for coffee, breakfast, meals... prices were also reasonable. Very clean and just has an awesome feel. The staff was helpful and very personable. I'm planning a trip back to Boston and would not stay anywhere else!

• Queen Room with Atrium View

It wasn’t the hotel’s fault, but one of their two elevators broke during my trip and it took forever to get to and from my room. They said their elevator company didn’t work on the weekends, so he couldn’t get fixed until the next business day. I would recommend a hotel look into a company that works on the weekend for emergencies. At the end of the day, I took the stairs and it was all good.

The staff is super friendly, the rooms were incredibly clean, the Wi-Fi was easy to log onto. Great job all the way around.

• Queen Room with City View

Only one elevator was working. Temperature was extremely hot, we slept with the window open (8th floor). By Mistake we parked at 75 State Street Garage, cost $68 for 1 night! (discount from hotel didn't work).

Great Location! Literally Quincy Market & Aquarium are right across the street! Hotel/room was clean. Check in was quick- simple- Quiet- Staff was not too talkative. Bar was nice, Bartender was friendly and gave us helpful tips. Coffee? Never got offered Coffee or Breakfast.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The room was very upscale looking. Very modern. This was my first stay at the Harborside Inn and I didn’t expect it to be so cute inside. They had a little area where there are four computers and a printer. Faneuil Hall is steps away, along with the aquarium down the road. The Aquarium stop on the Blue Line is directly across the street, east T access. They even held out bags after check out while we went to a Celtics game.

• King Cabin Room

I didn’t like that there was not security at the door. A homeless woman wanted to sit where I was in the lobby, and verbally accosted me before storming out.

I loved the large room and discount on parking, even though the garage was about three blocks down.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

The lighting was dim and a bit yellow making the room seem "dingy." It also had a very firm bed, which is just about preference, so no fault to the property.

Spacious, great location

• Queen Room with Atrium View

One thing that I found it a little upsetting was the dryness in the room, but not enough to bother me.

The location is great, it's near the South Bus Station, near the Harbour area. The staff was helpful and nice, the rooms were clean and tidy. I haven't tried the breakfast but tried the coffee and blueberry muffins from the bar and they were great!

• King Cabin Room

Centrally located, found this gem three years ago. You are within walking distance to Quincy market, mikes pastries, and the TD garden. Every time I go to Boston I stay here. I always book the king cabin, yes it's in the basement of the hotel, no view, but so dark and quiet, which I love. The bed is probably the most comfortable bed I ever slept on. For a two night stay including tax came to $360, for Boston that is a good value.

• King Room with Atrium View

There was construction going on early in the morning of our check out. Prefer to be told this when you book a room.

Room was amazing! Staff was friendly.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

No vending machines inside the hotel. Referenced to the bank across the road for an ATM and the 7/11 on the corner when wanting drinks/ snacks. For individuals who are not used to the city life there are several homeless people and a bus line directly outside and can be uncomfortable to access the 7/11 or the ATM.

Convenient location to the bus lines and central for walking.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

Construction within building, was woken by banging at 6:30 in the morning. Would have been nice if we were warned about this activity to allow for other possible arrangements or room location.

Stayed several times, will be back again

• Queen Room with City View

The location can be a bit noisy but it comes with the territory if you want to be that close to everything

I stayed here several years ago so i knew what to expect.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

I do wish there was an ice machine on the floor we were on

My gf and I were there for a fun night out of adulting. It was as close to the area as possible and worth the price. The front desk staff were awesome and very friendly.

• Queen Room with City View

Parking, always an issue in Boston. Can't single this place out, though. It detracted a bit from the terrific price.

The waterfront and North End are within 3 minutes walk time (dinner on Hanover St.), and all of my meetings in the financial district were closer still. Also, check out Federal wine (one of Wall St. Journal's ten best wine stores in the US) at the other end of State Street, maybe a 4-to-5 minute walk.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

My only complaint was the "free WI-FI which connected my phone WI-FI (with no internet connection) so what`s the point of having WI-WI with no internet ?........Useless. Everything else was great !

The whole place was clean and orderly, staff was friendly and helpful

• King Cabin Room

The potpourri or air freshener in the lobby area was so overwhelming, I did not like hanging out in the bar area for that reason.

The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated, more importantly, the bed and bedding was really comfortable. The hotel is in a great, centrally located area.

• Queen Room with City View

The stay was good. "BUT" I learned that the hotel was running a sale on there rooms at the same time as my stay. BOOKING.COM was not able to MATCH the price like they say. OH WELL

• King Room with Atrium View

Fantastic boutique hotel in a perfect location next to Quincy market. We go to Boston multiple times per year and this hotel is always our first choice.

• Queen Room with Atrium View

I ate dinner at the bar and ordered the burrata, which wasn't really burrata. It was just a ball of mozzarella. The inside should be softer and creamier than it was. The fried artichokes were yummy!

I like the design and look of the hotel. It was clean and the location was prime.

• King Room with Atrium View

Wish king room had outside window. But on the plus side, it was very quiet! Had a bit of an issue with getting the room a good temp but got it after a while.

Staff was very nice, king room was huge. Location was excellent!