Reviews of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham-Oakland/Alameda 3 stars

#4 of 8 hotels in Alameda

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

It was very pleasant.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

It was a little on the expensive side for me. I'm on the fence on the separation of the sitting area and the bedroom area...I'm more a fan of a "great room" layout, where areas are virtually separated with rugs, or furniture arrangements.

The property was super-conveniently located, with access to many restaurants, pubs and recreational activities. I could park easily on site, which was also a big plus.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

I booked my daughter as a guest and called hotel ahead to...
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Why is there a choice to having a reservation as a guest

I booked my daughter as a guest and called hotel ahead to verify. They would not accept her without swiping my card. I had booked with Booking.com neither company would accept my card over phone even though confirmed weeks before

The worst hotel experience!
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

We drived all the way from Vegas and the check-in was awful. The recepcionist didn’t let us pay with credit card because she said there was a problem with the reservation and the fares. We asked her if we could try with another card, but she told us that her system didn’t let her use another credit card. Then she asked us for a 200 dollar deposit because we were paying in cash (a corporate policy totally useless since we paid everything at the check-in). Then, we came into the room and we saw that there was no light in the bedroom, so I went to the front desk and told this to the recepcionist and she gave me a lightball for me to put it by myself. The next day, we almost didn’t have breakfast because we arrived at 9:30 because the recepcionist, the day before, told us that the breakfast was available until noon, so the breakfast was very poor. At the moment of the check out, the man who attend us (Gabriel) told us that before giving us back the 200 dollars, he had to check the room first so that he could be sure that everything was ok, making us feel like bandits. Later, he had a very negative attitude when we gave him this feedback. He told us that everything they did was because of corporate policies, not even a sorry, nothing!! About the room, it was very dark, the sheets were not soft, there weren’t any silverware in the kitchen and the sofa bed was very unconfortable.

Northing

Came for a family wedding in the area, this was a comfy spot to stay while busy with activities
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Not enough light in the rooms, my bathroom had no counter, just a sink alone, super inconvenient, the other members of my group had counters in their bathrooms, so I don’t know if my room just didn’t get a new counter yet or what, but that was annoying also, there wasn’t enough seating in the room, totally could have used another chair or too & a few more mirrors.

Cute small hotel, easy parking, great location, easy going atmosphere, free breakfast, came late for free breakfast was still able to toast a couple bagels & get some danishes. Frig & microwave in room super convenient

The hotel was clean located downtown.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

They tried to over charge me for my stay by $300 more than the original price quoted. I talked to a staff member and she was able to get it straightened out but I was definitely not happy about it.

The hotel was clean located downtown. The rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast was mediocre.

Very nice area!
    • Executive King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Noisy aircon

Very nice area! I didn’t like the photos online but was pleasantly surprised. This is a great overnighter, easy to access the freeways and free parking.

Clean, quiet and comfortable!
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

In general, the hotel could use an update. It was certainly clean and comfortable.

Friendly helpful staff during check in is always a plus after a long journey.

very nice and comfortable and solid value for the price!
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Although the gym was adequate, I would have liked to have a more adjustable bench for weight lifting (the current bench has 2 settings).

Room was clean, nice size, and quiet, as we were facing the back of the hotel away from the street. Employees were friendly and helpful. Close to relatives I was visiting.

Found the perfect spot to return to for our weekend trips to the city.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Wish there had been two treadmills in the fitness room so we could have both ran at the same time.

Location was awesome. So many good restaurants within walking distance. Plus gas stations and fast food. Shopping center near by. Short Uber ride to San Francisco and Oakland.

The kitchenette was a surprise bonus, as was the separate...
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

So many pillows to choose from, but none were quite right.

The kitchenette was a surprise bonus, as was the separate seating area. The bathroom was very spacious!

Convenient, a bit on the expensive side, and just OK.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Everything was just OK. Bare minimal furnishings. Cooking facilities, plates, silverware wasn't sufficient for more than eating leftovers. The breakfast food mostly tasted like cardboard.

The convenience was good. Outside noise level was good. Parking was convenient.

can not say much this hotel is overpriced
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

In Oakland at Bart train station there where no taxis it took us about 1 hour to arrange our transport from The Bart station to the hotel

can not say much this hotel is overpriced

I can recommend this hotel
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was a little to warm.

There was a sofa to sit in, the whole room had a lot of space, witch was very nice. The beds were comfortable. The bus stopped very close to the hotel and went straight in to San Francisco and it took about 25 minutes, that was really great.

Smart Stay in Alameda
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Close to our family, ferry and restaurants. Breakfast with eggs, make your own waffles with nuts, fresh fruit and chobani yogurt (my favorite), oatmeal and cartons of cold milk. Best was our room, which had two separate spaces, fridge, sink and couch. My husband likes to watch t.v. and I like it quiet.

Very satisfied
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Very happy with my stay. The room was very clean and well apportioned. The AM Breakfast was great. I was attending a Seminar and the early breakfast was a welcomed start of the day. Staff was extremely helpful. Quiet environment able to sleep soundly.

Nice facility and food. But, too expensive.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I'm offended by the options to answer the question in part 1 regarding who did I travel with. I don't have a "partner." I traveled with my spouse.

I enjoyed the free lower bicycle.

Excellent hotel at a fair price away from the "big city" of Oakland.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Hotel was a bit far from central Alameda, but very well located in terms of proximity to freeways, Oakland, etc.

Rooms were exceptionally clean, spacious, and well-appointed. Excellent toiletries, and bed was very comfy. Excellent hotel at a reasonable price commensurate with the quality of the hotel.

Would definitely stay with you again if we were to return to that area.
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds and Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Excellent & knowledgeable staff. Great breakfast choices. Eggs actually tasted like egg, light & very fluffy. Great idea to have a cruiser bike for guests to use at no charge. Grown daughter enjoyed being able to take an early morning ride along the shore.

Was a very comfortable, clean room with a helpful staff in a great location.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

We liked the cleanliness and size of the room and the helpful, friendly staff. The location is in a nice neighborhood and offered free parking

Great nights sleep and above average complimentary breakfast.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The location of the hotel was very quiet. We left the window open while we slept and did not use the a/c. There was virtually no street noise at night. Great nights sleep!

Nice free breakfast.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Something in the bed bit me on two separate nights. The next day the changes my sheets at my request. The room looked clean, but I wonder if they truely changed the sheets between customers....

Nice free breakfast. Some days sausage and pancakes, others French toast and bacon. There are waffles, eggs, toast, bagels, yogurt, cereal.

Great location and lovely hotel with free parking.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was pretty picked over by an hour in to service. Would have been nice if it could have been re-stocked and fluffed.

The layout of having a separate "live/work" from the "bedroom".

Relaxing after a business day
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The second time I did not have the spa in the room 😣

Love spa especially the one in the room, close to stores and parks the safety of the hotel is good but the city hotel can't control it be careful

Alameda, a great lil' sleepy town on your way to the big city!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast could be better. Much of the hot food was over cooked. The front desk staff could be a little more helpful.

The rooms are clean and comfy. I liked that there was a separate seating area in my room away from the bed. The location worked well to visit the Bay Area. It was a quick (when no traffic) trip across the Bay Bridge over to San Francisco. And Oakland is just a few minutes away. Also the hotel is just a few minutes away from the Alameda Main Street Ferry Terminal if you wish to use this mode of transportation. From here you can head to Oakland, and different parts of Frisco. If you don't wish to leave the island for a rest day there's enough to do on Alameda. Food and stores are within walking distance from the hotel. There are a few historic spots, a beach and a tiki bar to name a few things to do.

I would stay here again.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The hot tub was out of service for the duration of our stay - at least until the last evening when we were departing at 03:30 hours the next morning, and couldn't stay up to do a good soak to recuperate from all of our walking. To be fair, the manager did provide a rate adjustment in compensation for that inconvenience. This was subsequent to our stay, after I requested it. For a non-smoking hotel, there was a LOT of marijuana smoking on the second floor (don't care WHAT it was, it's a *non-smoking* hotel) - and the hotel seemed to be totally helpless to do anything about it. If you're going to smoke, take it outside.

The staff were all friendly, helpful, and did things to the best of their ability. The hot breakfasts, while extremely limited in the available selection and simple, were always ready on time and kept stocked.

Perfect location for the Wedding we were going to in Alameda.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Perfect location for the Wedding we were going to in Alameda. Staff was friendly, parking in back was free. Room was a mini suite which gave us plenty of room for our morning exercises. Bed was comfortable and everything was sparkling clean.

Disappointing service - ok hotel

The staff were not exactly well trained . . . I had reserved 2 nights, but separately (added 1 night a couple of days later). I ended up having to move rooms as they had given me a handicap-accessible room (which really was a joke as it didn't have a walk/roll in shower or anything remotely handicap friendly - at least from my view as a physically able person - just some bars) - not that I needed it nor requested it nor wanted it (something that should have been sorted when I check in the first night as I had mentioned that I had booked another night for the next day - and they were not sold out, I asked). Anyway, I had calls in the am & had to leave for a meeting by a certain time. The guy at the front desk was totally clueless!!! He called me several times - after I had told him that I had to go on a conference call (so several calls from him disturbing my GTMs . . . ). He told me that he could not give me a receipt for the hotel as I had already paid for it on Booking.com -- which is absolutely NOT true (I got a receipt from the Manager). He could not be bothered to help me & made it seem like an inconvenience that I was asking to stay in the same room. It was very UNgood. I had to pack all my stuff up & vacate the room - all between conf calls & leaving for a customer meeting. Not cool. I talked with the Manager when I returned, and, although she apologized, I would have expected a discount or coupon for a soda or some free mints -- something. Not great customer service & I would definitely not stay there again as a business customer.

The location was convenient for me as I had business meetings on Alameda. The breakfast was good. Parking was outside behind the hotel - so easy access. Beds were comfy, although rooms are dated. What's up with all the carpet in US hotels? And the lighting is often terrible - so dark!

Nice !

Everything was fine!

People were kind, friendly, polite, respectful.breakfast was delicious, area was clean , well stocked. Bed was comfortable, room was clean, not too noisy in the halls late at night even with carnival going on in the street. I felt safe walking in & around the area. Unfortunately hotel was booked form next trip to the area or I would have returned!

OK place but HOT and Stuffy with hidden air conditioning.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I prepaid for the room so they knew I was coming. BUT the room was very stuffy and hot (I'd been in a non air conditioned place for 4 days and REALLY wanted to cool down.) The air conditioning unit was at the window - complete with controls that didn't work!!!! IT WAS HOT!!! I called room service - their answer was "Did you try the controls on the wall?" As if I was a moron. This whole episode really soured my stay.

The place actually was too big, maybe someone else would like that. This made it harder to cool down.

Clean and comfortable
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

It would have been nice to have local points of interest listed in the lobby, not just San Francisco and Oakland

Great location, clean, comfortable and breakfast was excellent

Comfortable, clean, and roomy!!
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The coffee in the room could be better. I normally travel with my own coffee, but forgot to on this trip. The coffee in the in room coffee maker was horrible.

The beds were very comfortable! I found the rooms to be clean. Breakfast was good. Offered a good variety.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

The pillows
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I had a great deal from booking.com the rest of my office booked directly with the price at $199 a night while mine was $135. This hotel is just overpriced as is the bay area.

The pillows

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Consistently great accommodations.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Had difficulty adjusting the temperature in the room. Heating unit was blowing cold air. Changing the temp on the room's thermostat resulted in a short blast of warm air, but was followed by cold air again. Otherwise, the room was super comfy.

Refrigerator on the room, comfortable separate sitting area in the suite. The full breakfast in the morning offered many choices, from eggs to bagels to French toast to cereal and yogurt and more.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Good quality
    • King Suite - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Smoke smell in the room.

I like the configuration of the room. Overall cleanliness was very good. Even though the entire hotel is non smoking, the room or air vent in the bathroom smelled of old smoke.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Enjoyable.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Location to event excellent. Bed and overall room comfortable. Staff friendly.

He coll me end rong.extra charch

I am not hape

That is bad ri nrdeasfshen.is bad extra maney

Perfect place in Alameda. Walking distance to bars, restaurants, etc.
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds and Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Cleanest rooms in Alameda. Great location. The double windows really blocked out the street noise.

4.0
    WORSE HOTEL I EVER STATED
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

old, expensive, dirty, pictures need to be updated it doesnt look nothing like it, hot tub wasnt working

Super Comfortable

Breakfast wasn't my preference

Great staff, very comfortable room and bed. Centrally located. Perfect for my business overnighter.

Clean room close to town

Breakfast started at 7:00 am had to get on the road before that

Staff friendly clean room close to the town center

Quiet surroundings,
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

That breakfast started at 06:30, and not 06;00am.

Suite was spacious. Room was clean.

Good Location and Value for the Money
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was good. Some of the food was lukewarm.

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed and clean room.

I alway stay there.

excellent

Room was large and comfortable
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was very basic, we ate out most mornings.

Room was large and comfortable

Good trip
    • Executive Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds and Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Comfortable, quiet and very close to my work.

I think it was worth the money.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The eggs don't taste natural. There was no sausage.

A comfortable suite and a good location.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Very comfortable bed. Proper breakfast. Grab rail for the tub/shower, a great feature.

Good location, parking, wonderful, friendly staff.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Good location, parking, wonderful, friendly staff.

The bed was comfortable.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The man at the front desk was rude.

The bed was comfortable. The room was large. They had bikes to borrow.

Comfortable bed
    • King Suite - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Air conditioner was broken and room was hot while we were asleep it woke us up . Breakfast was not good

Comfortable bed

Breakfast was pretty abysmal.
    • King Suite - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Breakfast was pretty abysmal.

Decor in room could have been a little lighter.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Decor in room could have been a little lighter.

OK

Staff could be more knowledgeable about the immediate area.

PARKING.

Great rooms

Great rooms

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

We loved the atmosphere.
    • King Suite - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

We loved the atmosphere. The staff was friendly and the experience overall was worth it

Basic accommodation if you need to be in the area.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Bed smelled a bit of smoke

Breakfast was decent, but the eggs were overcooked.

A comfortable stay

Everything was great.

It was very clean. Close to alot of shops and places to eat.

I would definitely stay here again.

Can't think of anything

Very quiet, comfortable room. Staff very accommodating. Location was good for all of our planned activities.

Wonderful. Will come again.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Bed was great and separate televisions was nice.

The beds are comfortable and super easy to fall asleep in.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The beds are comfortable and super easy to fall asleep in. The air conditioning made the room very comfortable to walk into.

safe, affordable.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

not much to complain about.

Big room, more affordable than staying in San Francisco. Liked the the proximity to food and the pinball museum.

We're looking forward to staying there again!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was very large and comfortable, the breakfast was great, and the parking was excellent!

something is not right with the biiling department
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

I rate it very poor because the facility tried to bill me twice

Not a bad area, great continental breakfast and VERY...
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Not a bad area, great continental breakfast and VERY comfortable beds! We loved it!

Delightful surprise

Parking lot was small

Free bikes

It was great.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Bed was great. Staff @ desk was very kind and helpful.

All needs were met (very clean), complaints were very minimal.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The coffee could have been stronger.

Very clean and true to the ratings that are posted in Trivago.

Very nice
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed to soft, as wavered, toilet WAY to low

Good location for my needs on trip, VERY easy to connect to all public transportation

Their beds are very comfortable!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Their beds are very comfortable! Staff were very accommodative!

First time stay! Will recommend to family and friends.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Nothing. Maybe faster elevator.

It's at a great location. Walking distance to all the shops and water.

Clean, quiet

Expensive

Clean, quiet

I was promised coffee for an early morning departure.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I was promised coffee for an early morning departure. It was not made. Better communication between night staff and morning staff is needed.

Parking lot stalls were too tight.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking lot stalls were too tight.

Not safe i think
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

There was bad smell in the room location is very bad i felt unsafe out there its in a neiberhood

Its ok

Quiet
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Closer to BART train system.

Quiet