Reviews of Hayes Valley Inn 2 stars

417 Gough Street, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#11 of 19 B&Bs and Inns in San Francisco

Based on 970 B&B reviews

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Breakfast is not diabetes, IBS, food sensitivities/allergies friendly. The only protein available is processed ham, cheese & peanut butter. SF can do better. No flexibility with late checkouts.

One of the best value-for-your-money hotel deals in the city. Cute, clean, great location, great restaurants nearby. No surprises and smooth checkin-checkout.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Only 1 shower per floor. Noise from the road is quite loud.

The good location. The property of the common bathrooms and toilets. The fact that there is a sink and a mirror in each room.

Nil

Old Victorian building very classy but clean and no smell. Very good breakfast with lot of fruits making stay money for value. Staff very helpful. I had difficulties registering UBER but staff helped me resolved problem. Thank you so much Rosalina. I suggest to provide more electricity plug for charging phone in kitche.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Smaller room than we expected, only one shower for the floor. Neither caused us any issues though, to be honest!

Breakfast was great most days- bagels, cereal,fresh fruit, toast etc. Staff were friendly. Place was always really clean!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

My only wish is that there was a small iron or clothing steamer in our room. It was a bit inconvenient to have to ask the staff when I needed the iron. This probably won’t be an issue for most people, as it’s probably uncommon to iron on vacation, but for the few that do it’d be a nice touch.

By the end of our stay, Hayes Valley Inn felt like home. Very clean, friendly and helpful staff, and although I was wary of the shared bathroom, the setup and cleanliness made it a delight! The area was great, much safer feel than some of the other hotels we had considered, within walking distance of just about everything, and some really cool restaurants on the block. Highly recommend.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The only thing that we would like to see done a little different, and that is because we are early risers, is to have breakfast a bit earlier...or at least coffee available earlier. We left to take a walk at 6am and there was nothing open...hence having coffee available would have been nice. Now, however the gentleman working did open up and made us coffee it just would have been easier if already available.

VERY CLEAN!!! and after we checked out they still let us keep our bags there so we could walk around town, before our flight.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

If you want to stay at a hotel and still feel like home,this is a place for you.Beautifully decorated rooms,clean restrooms,tasty breakfast,friendly stuff and comfortable beds.There is a food market with great choice of products within 10 minutes walking and Greek restaurant and other nice places to eat just around a corner.Afternoon tea in a cosy dining room is definitely a plus too.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

I noticed a bit of noise the first night as my room on the second floor faced onto the main road. I heard the bars nearby tipping out their glass bottles a couple of times and cars honking their horns two or three times. During my two days in San Francisco, I did a bit of walking around the area. I noticed there are quite a few homeless people on the streets. Neither of these are the fault of the property, but just to advise that you might consider earplugs if you are a light sleeper or getting back before dark if walking past homeless people makes you uncomfortable.

There is are complementary tea and cakes available in the kitchen from 4-9pm. Although my room was not ensuite, there was a sink in the room. Reception was able to arrange an airport shuttle for me.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

They were adamant about not opening the breakfast room before 7AM. They even turned us away at 6:57! Also, couldn’t open the window bc it was too loud outside at night!

Location was awesome!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

There is only one shower available on every floor, you sometimes have to wait for your turn.

The location was superb, close to the city centre and on a very nice neighbourhood.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Getting in to the breakfast room at 7 am when it opened was a bit hard on the weekend. I didn’t get to eat because the toaster was being used and there was a line of people taking up both sides. I was there when they let us all in. I was lucky to get juice and some coffee. Also Gough Street can be noisy at night. I had a white noise machine and ear plugs, and I could still occasionally hear people well into the wee hours of the mornings. Light sleepers might find these room a bit hard to sleep in.

I arrived early and was able to leave my bags at the front desk while I waited to check in.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our room was a bit noisy because of an aircondioning or fan outside next to the window. A shared bathroom normally is not my first choise, but here it was very clean and convenient enough.

lovely breakfast place, pleasant and with a decent breakfast. a very helpful and friendly staff

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Check in girl was friendly but didn’t offer local information like concierges do at hotels. She did answer the questions I had though. All stairs so not accessible to those in wheel chairs or that have mobility challenges. Original windows so room was very noisy, felt like I was sleeping right on the street with all the commotion. People honk horns at all hours... what the heck are they honking at?!?! Also, no black out curtains so at the crack of dawn the room is bright. Pillows were old, flat and hard.

Location is great, located on a hip street with shops, pubs, wine bars and restaurants. Building is quaint, dining room is lovely. Breakfast was a cold continental style (cereal, toast, yogurt, fruit). Afternoon tea/coffee available in the afternoon as there are no coffee makers in the room. Sink in the room is handy. 2 toilets and a separate shower per floor, yes there was a line up for the shower in the morning.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The sitting area in breakfast room was crowded when lot of guests turn up together at 7 am. Toilet and shower room on corridor - needed to wait before going for conference.

Bed was comfy and staff very helpful.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

i really like this place as the position is fantastic and you feel like an inhabitant of the city and not a tourist and is also very clean and we'll keep.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

In the morning, the light fills in the room so we got to wake up pretty early.

The staff is adorable and available. The location is great, we love Hayes Valley: so many nice restaurants, boutiques...

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Front-facing rooms are super noisy but larger than the rear-facing rooms. After three nights I opted to take a smaller room in order to get any sleep. It was a little struggle to get a heavy suitcase up the stairs.

Exceptionally clean and well-mainained, convenient location. When I arrived, nobody would let me in for 30 minutes (receptionist was ignoring the front bell, phone, and email!) but after that everyone was very professional and kind; I imagine they were a bit embarrassed. The beds in both rooms I stayed in were very comfortable, and it was good to have sinks in the rooms.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Breakfast was average. Being old the Inn is noisy - you can hear everything. Good location. Staff were not very knowledgably of even the immediate area and would not let us a chance to check in even slightly early after traveling a long way internationally.

The bed was comfortable and the Inn was very clean. Value was OK value being that SF is so extremely expensive.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

No AC in the room and the central heating was still on in the hotel. It was warm while we were there which meant we needed to shut the ducts and open the window to let air in. Unfortunately we were at the front of the building and the road was right outside so we required earplugs to sleep at night.

Staff super friendly and helpful. Location fantastic and the room and beds are comfortable. Facilities were clean, breakfast was fantastic.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

They charge 50 USD a night as a pet fee without providing any services. There was not even a waterbowl for my dog. Our room was on the 3rd floor, no elevator. Very noisy due to traffic, staff was indifferent.

Convenient location, good breakfast

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

I almost don't want to give it a good review because I want to keep it my little secret. However, it's a fantastic B&B style Victorian hotel in a wonderful neighborhood. The staff were outstanding. The breakfast was good. My room (305) was clean and airy with a comfortable bed. There is a shared bath and they keep it clean. You have tons of restaurants and shops at your door. One thing to note - there are no elevators - so if you have a problem with stairs this might not be the place for you. Otherwise, I will definitely stay here again when I visit next the city again, and I will be recommending it to my friends and family.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Amazing location, close to very trendy shops and restaurants. Very comfortable rooms, super friendly staff and it includes a great breakfast. Will return!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Stairs are too steep. The very old Bed is very short for me (5’6 girl) . Old style window leaks air and I got cold in the morning. Blanket is too thin. Most important. You have to share bathroom and toilet with whole floor !!! The bath tub is so old and dirty. and I stayed at 4th floor the hot water cane in after 3 mins. Literally. Sosososososo horrible experience.

Location is great. Close to parking lot.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

There is no elevator which can be problematic for luggage

Breakfast spread was very generous with a lot of choice Rooms, toilets and bath are all very clean and well-maintained Beds are very comfortable

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Noise travels easily through the hallways and into the rooms.

Breakfast was a good spread and they have super clean bathrooms. The neighbourhood is an excellent location close to transport and great restaurants.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

I did not expect there is shared bathroom instead.

I like their breakfast service which provided us a great start for the morning. Besides, the location is awesome as it connected mostly to all of the attractions.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Front Desk Staff; They really need training ,It is like they dont have any emotion,are unhappy,they never smile, they are rude. I travel a lot i have never seen front desk staff like they are (Only Leah is nice) If it is solved by management,the hotel gets 9-10 point.

Lakasyon,Very Clean,Secure

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Beds are not comfortable, it makes noises even small movement, Front Desk staffs are helpful and doing their job but unfriendly( except Leah) We stayed 10 nights, breakfast /food is always the same , nothing is different.

Even the shared bathroom and the restrooms were always very clean, kitchen is very comfortable,clean and is usually open. Breakfast is enough. Location is pretty good, around nice restaurants, shoops. Rooms are well furnished. Our room was 3. Floor and we did not hear to much noise from outside. We stayed 10 nights and we were very happy beeing there. Thank you.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was extremely hot, the front desk girl did not understand anything we asked her and pretended she did not know anything about anything. She waa rude. We could not communicate w the front desk girl for things as simple as the room temperature or an extra cot for the room. She had no clue of anything at all.

Free wifi and the restaurant below

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Very noisy, although ear plugs are available, but not particularly comfortable to wear when trying to sleep. Clearly the provision of earplugs means that they know it’s an issue.

Staff were, predominantly, polite and helpful. A good number of bars and restaurants in the locality. Very comfortable bed

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our double bed was very small and not the most comfortable. Everything else was great.

Amazing location, walkable to most areas and on transport routes. Great restaurants and bars on your doorstep.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Very quaint Inn - in the quintessential Hayes Valley neighborhood. I stay here as often as I can when I come to SF as I love the charm of the place, and the access to the surrounding gems in the neighborhood. Their complementary breakfast in their bright kitchen is also very nice.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms are small and have heating controlled by the entire building. Our room was very warm and even with the vent closed, it was uncomfortably warm. Wish they could fix that.

This B and B is in a nice location in Hayes Valley. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. They serve a nice light breakfast.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff need desperate re-training or given the flick. We travelled over 36 hours to get there from Perth, Western Australia. The first lady spoke like a machine gun, and when I asked her to clarify things, like what room we were in, she was very condescending and said "um, it's on your key". Rather than just smiling and saying the number. Ditto for clarification about breakfast and tea. The biggest let down was lack of communication. Two days prior to check in, I rang from Australia several times to try and organise an airport shuttle, and nobody picked up. We emailed the front desk, and never got a reply. I rang from San Fran on arrival at the airport several times, and again no one picked up the phone. The link on the Hayes Inn website for airport shuttle goes to a dead page. So we organised our own shuttle. When we got there, and asked about the lack of communication, the reception lady frowned and said we must have not sent the email. The second receptionist, whose name is Namaesha, was worse. She gave me the impression that she had just started there, with very little training and knowledge of Hayes Inn. We politely asked for help organising a shuttle back to the airport. Her reply was that Hayes Inn does not help with that, and she'd never done it before. She told us to go to our room and do it ourselves. I pretty much begged her to help me ring and organise it. Later that evening we again politely asked her if we could grab two apples because the next morning we'd be leaving at 5am to get the shuttle. She said to come to reception at 5am to get the apples, and there's always someone in the office 24 hours a day. Guess what, at 5am, no one was there. And we rode to the airport hungry. We travel 3-4 times a year and the terrible customer service at Hayes Inn ranks as one of the worst experiences in a long time.

The positives - Very well maintained and charming accommodation. Comfortable and clean. Having a sink in your room allows you to brush your teeth etc and keeps the pressure on the shared bathroom down. I never had to wait to have a shower or use the WC. Location is excellent, close to nice restaurants (eg Souvla), bars, coffee (Ritual) and bakery (The Boulangerie). The Japanese quarter is also fantastic, with historic mall full of food and drink stalls. Lots of beautiful french and italian styled heritage houses around and I'm pretty sure we bumped into Robert Downey Junior, who gave us directions near the pan-handle. Be prepared to walk up steep hills, but it kept us warm on those cool days. Golden Gate Park has enough attractions and activities to occupy for 2-3 days.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

could be a bit noisy especially on lower floors. Staff kindly changed my room for 3rd floor - much less noisy (and nicer view !)

staff very friendly - provided additional carpet and heater as room was a bit cold. clean hotel very cosy I appreciated the morning sun in the room ! breakfast is OK, in a very nice room

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

VERY noisy - Hayes Valley has become very trendy and the people and traffic noise makes sleeping difficult. I paid for two nights but checked out after one - just way too noisy.

Nice location!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The air condition machine outside my window was so loud i had trouble sleeping. Otherwise i was really happy with everything there.

The staff was unbelievably pleasant. The fact that it was possible to have a night earlier because i made a booking mistake safed my trip.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Walls were paper thin, could hear other people's conversations. No AC, window wouldn't lock or stay open. No clothes iron. Beds were very poor quality and I woke up sore. Ceiling fan made weird noises that kept me awake, turning it off would be too hot. Shared bathroom and shared shower with entire floor.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Affordable and comfortable; I'd stay there again! Great location, walkable to lots of restaurants and shops. I read a lot of reviews carefully so I knew to expect some stairs up to the office and rooms, and also to expect shared bathrooms in the hall, not in my room. I can see how those would be surprising if I hadn't expected them, but I did! The room was very tiny but clean and comfortable, though the mattress was rather soft. Having a sink in the room was very convenient. The breakfast spread was very nice as well, and tea and snacks in the afternoon. Lovely bright eat-in kitchen overlooking a bustling corner. I was traveling alone and felt safe in that neighborhood coming and going at night.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It was cold in the room and when I inquired about it, they recommended I close the vent on the wall. While that did help, it wasn't quite enough and I was chilly. The room was a bit noisy as it faced Gough, a busy thoroughfare. I didn't love having to lock up my room every time I needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night given that I was staying alone. But there was never any wait for the bathroom or the shower, which was great!

The bed was very comfy. At check-in I was informed that I would be getting a different room than I'd booked and it turned out to be better than expected. I loved having the sink in the room. The breakfast offerings were better than I expected, and the food was delicious. The staff were very nice.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

No lifts. No help. The staires are narrow and high. If you carry a lot of luggage, you may not be happy. (However, other hotels in SF at the similar prices would be pretty much the same.)

Considering the high prices in San Francisco, not so bad. The breakfast buffet was humble but nice.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Super cool location, close to important cultural spots and good restaurants. Clean, confortable and great breakfast. Never crowded shared washrooms or shower.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

the bathroom's walls could get more cleaning, but shower and floor were fine. There are some small rooms also.

Staff were really nice and made everything to make sure I had anything I needed. It was quiet. Breakfast was nice and they also offered tea and cookies by the end of the day.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Checking out, the lady was condescending in her tone and her choice of words. I checked in and was clear with how many people were in my party and at checking out apparently I had 1 to many people in the room that was given to me. That's not my fault, therefore I shouldn't be spoken down to because of an oversight that happened when checking in.

Kitchen

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Many hidden costs not clear on booking.com or the hotels contract. Asking for extra towels and soap are frowned upon, room furnishings were unnecessarily drab, the hospital style daylight bulbs are creepy and have no business in a hotel room.

The shampoo in the communal showers, I did not encounter any bugs or any creatures.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Noise from the street was unbearable. Pedestrian noise. Traffic noise. Trash trucks. Street sweepers. Horns honking. Its sounded like the windows were wide open. The stairs were also not conducive to an easy stay. Neighborhood was a bit rough.

Charming decorations. Nice restaurants nearby. Friendly staff.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The Hayes Valley Inn is a charming hotel, in a terrific part of San Francisco. It is in an old building, beautifully restored and maintained. It is like staying in a European hotel, with small rooms and the shared facilities in the hallway. If you are comfortable in hotels like this, you will love this place.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Be aware that half the rooms are on the street side and a bit noisy, especially if you need to open a window for air. There is no AC so would not recommend in the summer. 100+ year old building and it shows but reasonably well maintained.

Location is ideal for concerts at SF Jazz or ballet or opera. Lots of good places to eat within 2-3 blocks. Public parking garage less than a block away. Hard to beat for the price. Decent continental breakfast.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed a little hard. Toilets were in the hallway as clearly stated on the website, but what was a bit odd was that there was no washbasin in there, so one had to go into one's room to wash the hands.

Pretty rooms. Tasty breakfast.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Only having one shower room per floor was a bit surprising since many rooms are then sharing. However, if you plan your shower times ahead, it wasn't a big of a problem. Front-end staff needs to work on their level of service. For the cleaning staff, I would give them 5-star rating any day of the week!

Cleaning was spotless, really good! The breakfast was always very fresh and it's servered in the lovely kitchen. Toilets in the hallway was always clean and fresh, also the shower room. The area of Hayes Valley is lovely and many nice restaurants and shops directly outside the hotel. Also close to bus stops for the city center.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The breakfast is edible but it's mostly processed foods; unappetizing. In some parts of the building the Wi-Fi doesn't work well, or at all.

I like this place, especially the staff and the informal comfort of the rooms.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I stayed in the last room at the end of the hall; and it was mildly chilly and the city traffic was fairly clear. The windows are a thin pane. But I do need background noise while I sleep, so I normally have the T.V. on anyways. Once I turned the volume up to match the hum of the cars driving by, it was easy to sleep.

The continental breakfast was enjoyable. Most of the other guests appeared to be European, so conversation was limited but nice.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

When going to a BED and BREAKFAST, one expects a very nice hot breakfast, but this certainly was not the case. Toaster/hot water and coffee was the closest to anything hot. How about eggs, bacon, french toast, pancakes ...?

Was accommodated with a room change so that we were able to walk past each other. Helpful front desk.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The only issue was having to wait for a shower (as there was one shower per floor) but I found that if you try a different floor there usually wasn’t a wait.

The room was small but looked nice, the dining room was lovely and the continental breakfast was very good. The Hayes Valley area is great, lots of independent restaurants and bars serving excellent food and cocktails. Very short walk from the BART station but had to get a bus to some of the tourist areas - e.g. Golden Gate Bridge, fisherman’s wharf etc.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel is very cute! Breakfast is very good (especially if you compare to average American breakfast), there is also afternoon tea time. There are plenary of new ice restaurants next to the Hotel. 7 min walking from the public means of transportation

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The first reception person we were greeted by was not very helpful or friendly but that was soon forgotten as all the other staff were great.

Perfectly located in a thriving area full of bars and restaurants, lots of bus routes nearby and just 10 mins from the Bart. Really clean considering shared facilities. Decent breakfast too. Is not a bad price for central SF.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our primary con, parking is HORRIBLE in San Francisco and even more so in this area when opera's are going on. There is little available parking around the Inn and we spent several hours of our trip just looking for a spot to stash our car. Really, just don't bring a car, you don't need it. The Inn has shared bathrooms (one shower per floor, two toilets per floor) so with a lot of people it can get a bit crowded.

Location in Hayes Valley was great! Within walking distance of many theaters, opera's, restaurants and shops. The rooms were small, but we've actually stayed in way smaller before so this was not a problem for us.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The internet was just a bit slower than I am used to, but not too bad.

Comfortable bed, nice hot shower that I never had to wait for even though there was only one per floor, surprisingly quiet even though I was on the street side. Great coffee and central location in a gentrified neighborhood.

• Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Economy room I booked is around the corner/down an alley. Requires 3 keys: gate, door, room. Lobby of entryway is drab and depressing, not like the rest of the charming main hotel. I did not realize the entire hotel is shared baths, but I should have researched that.

The breakfast room was sunny and pleasant and there was a good choice of foods. The front desk person was very personable and friendly. My room was very clean and very quiet. Shared bath was very clean. Easy access to Civic Center and lots of great little restaurants surrounding the property.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

noise from the ventilator just outside the window. From 07.00 in the morning till 11.00 in the evening: Only noise, noise, and noise from a van. Room at the back. It's better to have a room at front (street site), less noise!

Good breakfast, clean, nice environment

• Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room is small but after all you don't visit a city to stay at the hotel so it was just fine.

Amazing breakfast and cute room. Great value for money and convenient location (a lot of good restaurants right in the corner). The bathroom is shared but we never had to wait in line and it was always clean. I loved the hot shower!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Noisy on the street side of the building. Stairs a problem if you have large bags.

This room in main hotel was nice. Clean and liked the sink in the room. Liked the breakfast area and afternoon access for tea/ coffee.

• Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was not in the main Inn area. No direct contact with breakfast room. No window that opened in room. No mirror or sink in room. Room got very stuffy and damp. Bed was way to high for seniors or anyone short in height. Liked the location, room was quiet

Bright airy clean breakfast room.nice friendly staff Clean toilets. Room was quiet. Bed comfy.

• Economy Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

We were in the Annex rooms which is a separate building from the main office. There was no sink in the room and the neighbors were loud at night. There is no AC and the ceiling fan made an awful noise. It appears you get what you pay for in San Francisco. Do expect anything fancy.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Not part of the hotel, but we parked across the street off Gough for $20 all day and overnight, and were told we could leave at whenever in the morning. Instead the "security guard" with no hat or badge, kept us locked in until 9am and was taking picture of us and our car, even though we were willing to pay to leave. Really frustrating way to end an otherwise fantastic trip. Again not part of the hotel, but the closest garage.

The complementary breakfast was nice.

• Economy Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The room is very small and it gets hot. Toilet and bathroom are small. Hot food such as eggs and more healthy choices for breakfast would be a nice to have.

Location is great, within a vibrant area walking distance to the mission. You could also walk to downtown, the hotel is near metro and bus routes. Nice breakfast room and the hotel is charming.

• Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I liked my stay, so all of the below is an FYI for future travellers, not a complaint :) The only climate control was a ceiling fan. I didn't think this would be a problem in October but it was super humid inside the building all the time. Be prepared to lug your luggage around the block to the other side of the building to get access to your room & carry your bags up a big flight of stairs. No-one to help carry bags. Street parking is available but it'd be a miracle if you got it! There's a parking garage 2 blocks away, but it's not cheap. You're provided with a toilet paper roll in your room & you need to take this with you to the toilet every time you go. The toilet & shower are seperate lockable rooms in the hallway. So if there's someone in the shower while you're using the toilet there is nowhere to wash your hands. The location is spectacular. Walking distance to a lot of downtown attractions & you're surrounded by fantastic restaurants & boutique shopping spots. I'd recommend trying the wine bar down Hayes street. It has a great tree filled courtyard (fairy lights!). If you can, request a room in the main building entrance as it's A LOT nicer and you don't have to walk around the block to get to the breakfast room.

The room was nice & the bed comfortable.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

It was very hot during my stay and I was told that it wouldn't be possible for me to get a shower before I pick up my suitcase and leaving to the airport in the late afternoon. I would say that should be possible! At least as there is no rush hour at this time and you can find the bath on the floor. The room was a bit noisy. I could hear a machine the whole night but with earplugs I was fine. The walls are thin.

I liked the location in the center of San Francisco and felt very home and welcome at the Hayes Valley Inn. Most of the staff is very friendly and helpful, especially the guy from Nepal - he was awesome! Very nice kitchen/breakfast room and they provide as well tea time, which was very nice. The room is very comfortable.

• Economy Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

It's in a great spot, the breakfast is lovely, the rooms and bathrooms are always clean, the bed is comfy - they even have hot drinks in the kitchen room during the day which we only found out at the end of our trip. Would highly recommend this place!

• Economy Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom was shared between ~6 people, so access was frustratingly limited.

Location is really great and the neighborhood is very fun to walk around.

• Economy Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Have our own bathroom in the room

Breakfast was good, room boarding is good, wished I don't have to share the bathroom..and please supply hand sanitizing soap

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was very hot at night for sleeping as it got all day sun and only had a fan, no aircon. The breakfast was great but didn't like the fact they used plastic knives & forks that got thrown away every day! Seems like a terrible waste of plastic & extra stress on environment :(

The property was reasonably quiet which was great! Very good breakfast! We loved the area with all of the restaurants and the organic shop nearby. We loved the fact we were out of the busy tourist area's but it was still very easy to get around from here.

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

no no no. Everything was absolutely awesome!

Fabulous!! I looooooove the place and would book again in an heartbeat. Not enough good words about Hayes Valley Inn. Located right down town where you want to be. Plenty of trendy shops and eateries. Safe area. Not far from Castro district. Spotless clean although it was a shared toilet and bathroom. Loads of charm with hipsterish grandma style. There is a bicycle storage for the night. Very handy. The icing on the cake is the manager, Véronique. Thank you for your warm welcome and all your advices :-)

• Queen Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed was hard and not very comfortable. Walls are thin, so luckily I’m a heavy sleeper. My family was in the bigger room (207) in the corner and it was unbearably hot in there. Had to open all the windows but the street was loud and the ventilation still wasn’t great.

Room gave me a very homey vibe. Seemed like a place with lots of history. Shared bathrooms, but well kept. Nice staff, and was willing to accommodate us the best they could.

• Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The breakfast was like at home. Some cereals, bagels, jam, sliced ham and juice/tea/coffee. All in a small kitchen were it was a case of first come first served. No hot food. The staff that checked us out and maintained the kitchen was a grumpy girl who barely answered. There was no view from either room, one facing inner walls and the other facing into thick trees. A lot of noise from street due to non airtight windows. The shared shower and bathroom was very clean but less comfortable than ensuite. The beds were very high, narrow for two and uncomfortable.

The staff that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were good sizes and clean. The location was pretty close to public transports and plenty of restaurants and bars close by.

Browse Hayes Valley Inn traveller photo gallery