Reviews of Hilton Checkers Los Angeles 4 stars

535 South Grand Avenue, Downtown Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90071, USA

#175 of 352 hotels in Los Angeles

We booked two queen beds and someone decided we only needed...

We booked two queen beds and someone decided we only needed one bed. I paid for two queens. The first night we had a queen and a rollout and then were put into a room with two doubles #nothappy Downtown LA is a bad area

Comfortable stay

I liked everything about staying here. Probably the only thing that was not perfect was that the hot tub had cool water when we tried to use it around 8 or 9 in the morning. At night we could hear other people in rooms next to us a little more than we would have liked to but when we turned on the fan help the situation. We were able to sleep with no trouble.

I liked how comfortable the beds were how clean the rooms were especially the bathroom. We stayed for a few days so it was nice to have the maid clean the room. The valet parking was fabulous the doorman were very friendly as were all the desk and checking people. All my questions were answered. Really like the location and walking distance to many other City attractions, restaurants and museums. Love the library and that was definitely on our list of things to see and I would recommend that others staying at the hotel make a point of going to visit and taking in the murals inside. I felt safe. It was easy to get our car in and out.

Other than the noise and being ignored by the staff, it was good.

On Saturday, 05/26/2018 at 12:10 a.m., a wedding party arrived next door. There were French doors separating our room 111 and 112. The doors were there in case a guest wanted to have two rooms adjacent. The people next door started having a loud party. It went on for 30 minutes. We could hear all of it through the French doors. I phoned guest services a 1 a.m. and the party stopped. But it woke us up. We should have been moved to a different room after I requested it. The staff did nothing. On 05/27/2018, at 1:30 a.m., the wedding party began again. They were obviously drinking alcohol and were chanting "chug-a-lug" songs. They had music playing. We estimated a group of at least 20 people in there. At one point, someone began shaking the handles on the French doors, trying to gain entry into our room. After an hour, at 2:30 a.m., we phoned guest services who stopped the party. The hotel associate explained they were from a wedding (as if that is going to make a difference with us?) I answered "I don't care!". Also, I tried to print our airline boarding passes on the hotel computer. That computer was in poor shape, and the printer was out of ink.

the bed was nice. slept alright (when we were asleep). hot tub was nice. food in the restaurant was good but expensive.

I wouldn't say it was terrible, but if you stayed in Hilton in other countries it is disappointing.

Mess upon check in with the dates and rates. Noise all the time, there is no soundproof. Unpleasant smell, old doors with peeling paint and bed with scratches. Cream in bathroom was half empty, there was someone's hair in the bath and on the wall. There were pictures of terrace with dining tables on booking.com, I hoped to have a meal there, but I was told it is only for special events. If it is not available to guests on daily basis, better not to post these pictures at all.

Good, nice hotel with comfortable beds - but I would expect more for th price.

We had a night of no sleep as the room next door (which we shared a cupboard door with) spent the night playing the loudest music. Staff couldn’t move us as they were fully booked and we felt too intimidated by the room occupants to keep complaining. (Hotel also has a bizarre rule that they won’t tell anyone to keep the noise down until after 11pm!) Also a hotel this expensive should not be charging an extra $10 a day for WiFi!

Good location, handy for metro. Good gym and the most comfortable beds ever!

It was ok. I would not stay here again.

We could hear homeless people outside yelling at all hours of the night. Parking was in the building next door, but direct access to the hotel was blocked off, requiring me to walk about a half of a block outside in the dark with no security around. Also, overnight parking was $50!

The room was nice, and the bed comfortable.

Room did not have microwave, I asked to have my food heated...

a little pricey, other than it was good.

Room did not have microwave, I asked to have my food heated up, they send a microwave to my room. Very polite staff.

Everything awesome except late night noise

Stayed on the fourth floor and all night long I could hear music which we think was coming from the restaurant and bar which was open until 2am. Next time I will ask for a room on an upper floor.

Very comfortable beds. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The food and bar are also great

Enjoyed my stay@this hotel , the only downside is u pay for Wifi and it’s far from Hollwood

Too far from Hollywood if u are tourist. The reception staff were not that warm, I found the concierge staff were a lot nicer and helpful. No free wifi , u pay $10 a day . After returning from a long day I found that my room was not thoroughly cleaned and the bin was not emptied, the room was smelly from left over food from my previous night. It took 30min after I called room service for staff to come down to my room to empty the bin , I ended up leaving the bins outside my door.

The hotel was nice and clean , my room was big enough , comfy bed , consierge staff were helpful with bags , Transport was just by the door, shops and restaurants also nearby

We love shopping and restaurants but this hotel lack choice ability.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

I request 1 room with 2 queen beds. And upon our late arrival at 11pm in the morning they were given away. Yes, they did after sometime provide us with 2 rooms one had a King size bed shared by two. The other room had 2 double beds. Next day we would be provided with the 1 room with queen beds. After arriving to the room and looking at what they had been giving us, it was two double beds for 4 people to sleep in. We had to ask and have housekeeping to come and change our bedroom sheets Sunday. Our full trip was only 3 days, and everyday was something. We received comp food for Saturday breakfast. Food wasn’t good at all, and services was very poor. We received free comp drinks which of course you could only receive certain drinks of choice with the comps just like breakfast. With all the comps and credits given we could have a bed room with 2 king beds.

Some staff were nice.

Staff was great, security guard recommended we park in a...

Valet is pretty expensive for how much we already have to pay for the room itself.

Staff was great, security guard recommended we park in a nearby parking garage to avoid the $45 valet fee.

Dissapointed..
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

the system ...they gave me a room which is occupied and it was scary expirience. Ive been in so many hotel but this never happened. and they transfer me to a dusty, and he wall was ripped by the desk, shower dont work well...Im so dissapointed. My first night was horrible I paid for relaxing place supposed to be so i check out the early morning move to another hotel.

Ok but not wow

Old fashioned bathroom. We expected more compared with the standard prices. Check in / check out ladies were very reserved and they could be happier. No information regarding the top roof. Parking very expensive for one night. Even the valet parking price includes unlimited in and out access and is in line with all downtown Los Angeles hotels. But this is a general LA downtown issue.

The two doormans have been very helpful and friendly. Good location for downtown LA.

Average stay, average hotel. Does what is says on the tin.

Its a far away from the sights, not much going on in the financial district, parking near the hotel is expensive.

The hotel is in the financial district, about a 30min drive away from the sites - so not ideal for a short visit. Hotel is an average hilton, clean and practical but nothing special. There is a super food market close by and the facilities of the hotel are okay. What is important is wifi is not included - you have to pay for it or sign up to hotel news letters which is not ideal.

Overall I had a great stay, the hotel had everything I needed and would highly recommend to others!

The only minor thing I would mention is the cost of the parking @ $42 a day, although I appreciate that it comes with the hotel experience and suspect if I had looked around I could have parked for less maybe a block away but for a first time Valet Parker is wasn’t a problem.

The rooms were huge, the beds are super comfy whilst offering some great views of downtown LA. The bathroom is great too with everything you need & more. Breakfast is brilliant, the quality of the food is of a very high standard and not overly expensive! An even bigger bonus for UK travellers is you can get a great cup of tea (with cold milk!). The hotels location is pretty good for downtown exploring and you can use the metro which is only a 5/10min walk from the hotel. If you’re wanting to go to the Dodgers stadium, Universal or Griffith Park you can get the metro most of the was but it maybe quicker to take an Uber as it’s only $10. Overall I can’t fault the hotel at all, the staff were friendly and couldn’t do more for you which was great. You do get great value for money at this hotel which often doesn’t happen with others so really worth spending a little more and booking into Checkers!

HORRIBLE for the inconvience all he offered me was free wifi and two continental breakfast!!!!!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

they told me they could accomodate my late check in after leaving a wedding and when i got there they had given my room away with two double queen beds and offered me a lousy king size bed room and roll away bed!!!

Would definitely recommend and stay again!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Streamline the wifi login process. Way too may options, promotions, coupons, hilton honors, etc. etc. such a headache. Just make it FREE!

Large corner room, speedy check in, lovely hotel bar, reasonably priced drinks, cozy lobby, loved the room and beds and bathroom. It seems that the low reviews are from folks that used priceline or other bidding sites, these guests may not experience the best available rooms and reasonably so, it's best to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Additionally, cars and LA do not mix. Don't expect valet to be affordable in DTLA. Take Uber, take Amtrak, take a shuttle, don't drive! HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS LOVELY HOTEL WITH UNIQUE CHARM.

the room was very clean

The hotel charged us with many other strange payments without informing us in advance of the costs. For example, when we arrived, they took the car to the parking lot of the hotel, and only when we left did we discover that we were charged a lot of money every day for parking. They added to the price in the order additions that were not mentioned on the booking site. We got paid more than $ 100 from what was published on the site.

the room was very clean

Excellent Art Deco hotel in historic but dull downtown location
    • King Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

Photos of Spa pool on roof top patio (which was one of reasons we decided on this hotel) was disappointingly tiny & nothing like the pictures. It was also extremely hot (heated) for summer season - with visible mould. Staff/concierge seemed to have very little knowledge or interest in providing advice on places of interest to visit.

That they had dedicated floors which allowed smoking in room and outdoor areas. Quality of restaurant food was more than excellent however a bit pricey. Staff were friendly.

Nice breakfast restaurant, friendly staff, discovering...

The Terrace Bar was the focus of the exterior photos and looked like a major feature. Was looking forward to relaxing up there and gathering with friends in the evening. It wasn't a bar, had to bring drinks up and wasn't very available.

Nice breakfast restaurant, friendly staff, discovering nearby Perch, walking to Olvera

Good choice for downtown L.A.

More information at check-in, such as operation of secure-system elevators. $40/day parking fee.

Most luxuriously comfortable beds anywhere. Better price than surrounding downtown LA hotels.

Ok stay at Checkers
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Was tight in the check in area, price was not worth it because while downtown it wasn't as close to metro as some hotels

liked location comfort of bed and size of room

Checkers, Hilton L.A. Quiet convenient place to Stay!

The Bed was very comfortable, room was quiet. The Hotel looks brand new and is very clean. We had breakfast in the restaurant and the food was great and the service was first rate. We went to a function at Staples Center which is about 5 minutes and $6.00 by cab from the Hotel.

The location was great, the service personal were very...

The room was not well lit, it always was dark. My daughters room did not have a refrigerator in the refrigerator cubical, and for a hotel this expensive, WiFi should be free, charging $10/day was cheap of them. We were there for a wedding, a guest bag had been delivered to the hotel for us but we had to ask for it to be given to us.

The location was great, the service personal were very friendly.

The staff was very nice & helpful.

I spent more time than expected in the Hollywood area vs. downtown. The cost of travel was inflated due to the amount of traffic in the area. It is not far, but more costly than I anticipated.

The staff was very nice & helpful.

Not recomended

The room was small and very dark (not windows to the street, only a window to a wall). We find two broken things in the Bathroom (after our complain were fixed, but we never received at least an " Apologize"). Expensive Wifi (not free service). Not the service and the room I usually recibe from a 5 star hotel. Not worth the money. Many Many better options in Lax, I will not come back.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Very nice and restful week end.

Had a wonderful week end trip. Room was fine and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Doormen and bartender in lounge were especially nice. We were not able to check in until almost 5 pm because room was not ready. We had arrived at 3 pm. But no problem because we were planning to go to library for research so spent time there.

Reasonable stay, high price

We were given a room where the view was a back wall of a building. Not acceptable when you book your room with one month in advance at an Hilton group hotel. However on the second day after a complaint, the staff moved us up to the 8th floor to a much nicer room view. Also, no free wifi on the room. Hard to understand at a 4 star hotel.

Great rooftop. A shame it isn't used properly.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Nice place but staff need working on there people skills

Every thing was up for a 10 but the staff Bar 👎🏿 Restaurant 👎🏿 Checking in and out 👍 I had to go to other places to eat 🥐$$$$and to have a 🍷$$$$ Parking $48 per day

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

The bathroom was wonderful.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The bathroom was wonderful. The room was very clean. Front desk staff was not that friendly. But the door man and the housekeeping staff were very nice.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Pleasant, after we had to fight for the correct room
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

They gave our 2 queen bed room away and gave us a hard time and only wanted to give us a bed that was suitable for 1 child and not 2. We had to have a huge fight, and said as we booked it through 3rd party Booking.com there were no guarantees that we would get the exact room we booked. This seems to be an American thing, that they try bully you into something less than you ordered or booked!

Boutique nature of hotel, central if you need to be downtown

Cozy and fun New Years weekend
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

I did not like that I requested 2 queens and I only got 1 king. I had someone in my group that had to sleep on a futon. Not what I wanted. But over all great experience

Super quiet, nice, clean, staff was very friendly

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Over-priced & under-serviced

No breakfast. No room service. Staff is not patient when we asked for breakfast or any restaurant inside the hotel. Facilities are not complete, such as slippers, kettle. Over-priced.

Location is convenient.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Think twiice before staying in that hotel.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Bath room door was disfunctional. Shower did not function. No views and the windows were adjacent to a wall. Overall poorly maintained

Location The staff gave a reductin in the price when I raised the problems with them and that I came a long way

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Quiet, comfortable, convenient, pleasant helpful staff.

Was not aware of remodeling/construction work.

Quiet, comfortable, convenient, pleasant helpful staff.

I felt discriminated by staff.

I didn’t like how, the staff kept telling me to lower my tv when it was almost at the lowest volume.

Location and staff

Doesn’t have an iron and ironing board

Location and staff

Fragrance in the room and prompt Bellman service

Fragrance in the room and prompt Bellman service

Shower

Beds

The best hotel for the price and valet available

The best hotel for the price and valet available

I checked in and when I came out again the front desk...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

I checked in and when I came out again the front desk remembered MY NAME. I don’t remember the lady’s name but she was soooooo sweet.

Fair
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The parking is $51 per night and the wifi is $10 per night. The room itself was $275. Just for the 2 night we paid $102 for parking

Great location for my business appointment in downtown. Excellent hotel accommdations.

The view from the corner room was spectacular. Staff were extremely helpful with directions around town. We would stay there again.

Comfortable stay. Value for money.

Waiting to check in ....

Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, spacious bathroom. Efficient Housekeeping.

,thebed is comfortable

there’s no breakfast included

,thebed is comfortable

very lower than my expectation

uncomfortable bed mattress and too noisy surrounding day & night extra charges for unknow items

company name, Hillton Checker

Great location, very clean, beds super comfortable, front...

Great location, very clean, beds super comfortable, front desk staff very kind and helpful, rooftop jacuzzi was great.

Beautiful historic building best location, friendly environment.

One of the best hotels

Restaurant and staff was excellent

It was farther than I expected

Restaurant and staff was excellent

Staff had no ibuprofen or tylenol on hand - would not assist.

Staff had no ibuprofen or tylenol on hand - would not assist.

Not as good as I had hoped
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stapled curtains, parking 47 bucks a day? Small beds

I liked location the most and the view from my room.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I liked everything!

I liked location the most and the view from my room.

Great location and views, comfortable bedz

Great location and views, comfortable bedz

not pleased
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

staff was rude except for night guy otherwise all rude and everything is overpriced

bed was comfy

1st floor.

The view from my room was a gutter, cigarette butts, and garbage.

The bar was okay.

Great time, we will be back!

Parking is bit high

The staff was amazing and the location is right down town, walking distance to the center.

Great location and nice room. Staff could be a bit warmer but overall a nice stay.

Parking was only valet

Comfortable and very clean

No wonder why the price was so cheap ..

No heat on a cold night

Nice and honest staff

The bed

The bed

Good deal for one night

No self parking. No vents in the bathroom.

Quietness. Comfort.

Hotel was clean and nicely decorated

Valet parking $40 a night

Hotel was clean and nicely decorated

Value for money.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The room is a bit small.

Location and cleanness.

Clean room but very small

Room was too small

Location and room was clean

Coffee machine was broken, water pressure in the bathroom...

Coffee machine was broken, water pressure in the bathroom was low

Comfortable beds .

Staff is very rude. Whoever i asked something didnt help at all .

Comfortable beds .

Good one.

Room has no ironing facility, no hanger

Great location, friendly staffs & clean room. Love the breakfast

Central Downtown L.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Bathroom plumbing didn't work very well.

Central Downtown L.A. location Terrific boutique hotel.

Great location , the restaurant across the road , Water...

Great location , the restaurant across the road , Water Grill , has to be one of the best reasons for visiting LA !

it's ok

nothing.

i didn't eat any thing at this hotel.

PARKING!

PARKING!?

Awesome play to stay and go watch the Dodgers play
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Very nice staff and a great place to stay.

Beds are comfortable.

Parking is expensive

Beds are comfortable. Staff are friendly and helpful.

spacious bedroom

Around the street too many homeless, so it"s scary to walk around and that there's no free parking

spacious bedroom

Although requested prior Til arrival, No roll away bed was...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Although requested prior Til arrival, No roll away bed was provided by hotel.

The roof deck was closed when I wanted to use it.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The roof deck was closed when I wanted to use it.