Reviews of Hilton Chicago 4 stars

720 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60605, USA

#116 of 146 hotels in Chicago

5.7

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Two Bathrooms

Some staff were very rude. Did not feel like a welcomed guest. My daughter is a paid pianist. Could not use a single piano in their hotel very rude security. Have never had that problem at any other hotel we have stayed at or visited. We use stairs instead of elevators sometimes for exercise security was very rude about that. No one was even in the stairwell not bothering anybody. Frankly these people were given a little power as security staff and just went crazy on their power trip. Forgetting we are paying guests. Did not feel treated well as guests at all. Would never stay at this hotel again. Other issues, loud AC, we stayed for 5 days they never vacuumed our room, housekeeping didn't a good job of keeping room and bathroom clean especially floors. Very expensive hotel since it is in the city but didn't feel value for our dollar.

Good location for downtown Chicago, beautiful lobby.

The pillows could be improved, and the AC in my room kept going out. When I called to have it serviced however, they were quick to send someone up to fix it (even at like 2 am).

Customer service was excellent both at check in and concierge, and were very helpful with questions about local places to check out. Beds were comfy, though wasn't a huge fan of the pillows. Loved the sun deck, pool, and hot tubs on the 8th floor. Easy walk to a lot of nice sights.

The staff checking us in was very slow. We requested king bed with city views- we got a double bed with a wall view.😡 Very disappointing! We stayed 3 nights- our room got cleaned only once. Tray on the hallway- sitting for 2 days.

The location- it’s right on Michigan Avenue.

The regular room is extremely small. Like one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. it was fine, but after 5 days staying here my wife and I had run out of room!

Great location to all that Chicago has to offer. If you are driving a car there you should know that parking is $60 a day and valet is $75 a day. Thank god we didn't have a car! Uber's avg about $10 a ride to all locations that you would want to visit.

Wifi is not free. We asked to change room because the shower wasn't appropriate to us. Got moved to a smaller room that was not very well cleaned. We were expecting more for the price.

There was no sitting area in the lobby. The lobby was about Starbucks, a few restaurants and small stores that had usual tourist items that were overpriced.

The facility was large, but the staff was efficient and most accommodating. The rooms were spacious with comfortable beds. There was a small refrigerator and coffee machine in the room, hair dryer and all the other small items one has come to expect.

The windows of the room were facing a wall, no view available. It was ok as we only returned to the room for a short rest or to overnight sleep.

The location is the best! We could walk all around the Down Town by foot.

Room was very dirty( cobwebs and spiders, hair in shower and refrigerator). The room we booked far in advance was not available. Had to pay for wifi after paying so much for the room.

Central location to all of the places we wanted to go. People were nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff is rude, very short with you. Calling for room service and the lady would cut my off when talking. The room service also, dropped off my extra comforter like he was in a rush and I was a bother. The pool boy kept telling us that the pool closes promptly at 9pm and the doors will be locked whether you are inside or out. I didn’t like the hospitality.

The hotel is beautiful. Great beds and clean room. Amazing area.

• Executive Room with Two Queen Beds

Front desk gentleman was hard to understand -- thick accent. Kinda 'curt'. The others we interacted with were very friendly and helpful.

We had a beautiful view of the Lake. So close to the park and walkable to restaurants etc. Good location. Check out was easy -- just drop the keys in the box.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds are too small, the front desk told me, they send me a text to know when the room was ready.. and the text never coming.. i have to walk and ask again and yes the room was ready 2 hrs before

The room was clean, some staff are very nice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Air conditioning didn't work, despite having a staff person come and fix it at 11 pm. The next morning with the sun shining in our east facing windows our room got up to 80 degrees. We didn't complain because we only stayed one night. No shade on the bathroom window made it uncomfortably hot and bright in the morning. Earplugs needed to dampen street noise, even on 11th floor. Parking is a rip off. Found a cheaper nearby garage for a third of the price.

The beds were comfy, room was impeccably clean and tastefully decorated, and we had a gorgeous lake view. The location is fantastic.

That I was required to pay an additional fee for wifi and that the pool/balcony closed too early. Costs for dining were more expensive than necessary.

Perfect location, great staff, clean environment.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Two Baths

Our room had dust and cobwebs. Tablet service was off and on

The food was good. Staff was very friendly. The bed was comfortable. It was cool having my own bathroom. The sun deck was really nice. Hotel itself was beautiful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were very small

I loved the attentiveness of staff and location of the hotel was perfect. The room was beautiful and we were upgraded to two bathrooms without a charge, this was helpful for getting ready for an event.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Two Baths

Not much I didn't like, I thought my stay was fabulous.

I loved that everyone was so friendly and accommodating, and that there were food options inside and nearby.

The room was a bit small but that’s how it is in a big city. On site restaurant and snack options were way overpriced - luckily there are lots of restaurants within walking distance and we were able to get snacks at the 7-11 up the block.

Great location - very close to all major attractions. We had a standard room that was very clean (albeit small). All staff was friendly. Even though there were several events at the hotel we were not disturbed at all by noise.

• Queen with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

I paid more to get a room that have a lake view (Lake Michigan) but when I received the room I got a half view of the lake and I could not open the curtains since there are other rooms in front of main so there was no privacy. When I talked to the stuff they said it considered a lake view . I paid more than 260$ for one night but I wish to paid that amount in other hotel.

The location was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The smell in the room and hallways is no microwave in the room ice machine was inconvenient we were put in the last room at the end of the hallway by the fire escape away from everything and everyone else the staff was rude I can go in & on.

It was our first trip to chicago for our grandaughter graduation and the staff from check in to the bellboys (Winston and andrew) were extremely helpful to us. Gave us some great advice as to what to see and do on our short stay there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

I didnt like the fact that after paying a small fortune for the room, we had to pay for WiFi and we didn’t have complementary breakfast. Plus we had to pay for parking. Over all it was alil to much for our party. And I booked two rooms! I will not book with this hotel in the future!

The room was nice

Slightly pricey

We had a light bulb out in my shower. I called the front desk and she immediately sent up an electrician to fix it. The location was great! Beds very comfy!! My daughter and I had a great Mother’s Day weekend! Thank you

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Two Baths

What could of been better is that we couldve have a microwave in the room. And free breakfast

The bed was extra comfy and fluffy like a cloud and so soft!

The fact that there were incidents on the street somewhat near the hotel. As a tourist destination Business should consult with Police to insure that there are no compromising situations. Chicago gets a bad rap and when it hits in area of tourist visitors may think twice about coming to windy city.

Everything was great loved no surprises

• Queen with Two Queen Beds

Food is very pricey - especially the little convenience store/sandwiches, but there is a 7-11 a block away. Parking is also very expensive but there are other options within 2 blocks that are much more reasonable.

Rooms are very big by Chicago standards and the location is great!!!

Answer above..The Hotel was very Nice Great Service and Close to everything.

The only view I had was a brick building..out BOTH windows.This was the only thing I was not Happy with.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Two Bathrooms

There were a pair of dirty socks in the closet. The shower was super small. I had to squeeze around the door to get out and try not to step in the toilet which is directly next to the shower. The bed was not comfortable and the blanket was too thin.

Bed was a little uncomfortable, we got an "upgraded" room but our view was still a brick wall

Perfect location, the staff was more than happy to help, and extra security at night time made me feel secure

Parking was $62 per night. Just down the block overnight parking was only $26 per night.

The location of the hotel was great. Lots of things to do in the area. Walking distance to a lot of attractions and food.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Two Bathrooms

I reserved a room with 2 queen beds and was placed in a room with 2 double beds. The queen rooms were full, but I was not told at check-in of the change and was not offered a discount. It was fixed the next day and a discount given, but I had to ask for it.

Love having a hotel room with 2 bathrooms.

• King Room with Lake View

In house restaurants were fine, but one disappointed in that it did not offer the bunch that appeared advertised. Regarding the room service, we did not get it restored to a "check in ready " room after our second night. For example, in room glasses which we used, were not replaced with clean ones or washed; the in room tea station was not replenished and my wife missed her evening / night tea experienced. In that regard we were disappointed.

The staff members were friendly and seemed happy to serve you with a smile. Nothing says welcome better than that.

Only had breakfast. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet in general.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Place wasn’t very clean. Towels hanging up had stains on them, corners and edges need detail vacuumed horribly. There was a wrapper right outside our door in the hall from the time we got there until we left. Worst thing was there was blood on the underside of one of the toilet seats.

Room was modern and it had 2 bathrooms which was nice being with the family. Nice pool too

Some rooms are interfacing so you’re starring at another room. After first night I requested a change cause I didn’t think that was pleasant.

The staff, the location of the hotel were amazing

Rooms were very dated and small. Ambience and amenities were marginal at best. Halls and rooms are very dark and dimly lit. It didn’t live up to the Hilton name.

Location, location, location

• Queen with Two Queen Beds

See previous comment- needs upgrades- little run down. Bell hop couldn’t even give us directions- what good is he.

Waited to check in for 30 minutes only two people working the counter- awful service if you ask me with two young children. Room was gross- for the money we paid we wanted a view. We felt stuck in the corner it was awful. Fridge did not work my kids chocolate milk went warm the first day. Soap and shampoo was used from previous client who stayed- gross. I expected more from a Hilton hotel. I will share my experience with friends and family.

Breakfast could improve, not at the level of other Hilton hotels. I would add good bread, good cheese and marmalade. Bathrooms only have basic amenities. Rooms are a bit dark.

Nice position. Opposite to the park, very close to the Art Museum. Beds are comfortable. My room had safe, coffee maker, iron for cloths. Very good omelettes at breakfast. Staff usually nice and helpful.

• King Room with Lake View

The room we stayed in was very drafty and cold. The heating didn’t work and the windows weren’t sealed properly so the wind and cold easily came in the room like the windows were open slightly even when they were closed and locked

The view was good and it was a very nice hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

i couldnt sleep because the pillows were really uncomfortable. I called the desk at 1:30am to get at least one more pillow and they told me they were out of pillows.

easy to register and location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we got in the room we notice they did not take the trash out before giving us our room

The place inside just looks amazing makes you feel comfortable

Really loud in the halls around the rooms. No staff on top floors to keep the noise down at quiet hours. Pool was over crowded so swimming or even wading was impossible. The Jacuzzi was low on water and was not hot. Not all guests are non-smokers, so better accommodations like sitting area possibly heated would be nice as smokers pay the same amount as non-smokers!

The bed was really comfortable. Staff was friendly. Beautiful hotel!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible

We almost didn't get a pack-n-play for our 1 year old tosleep in, but they found one. Maybe try to reserve one or bring one as they said they have a limited number of them.

The hotel is so amazingly beautiful! My husband and daughter also loved the pool. The breakfast buffet was good. Starbucks coffee in the lobby.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was annoyed that I had a lot of difficulty understanding the gentleman that checked us in. I couldn't remember is i was a hyatt member and he couldn't be bothered to help me check to see if I was. He wanted to be done with us/ his shift I think.

beautiful Historic hotel. wish we could have stayed longer..

the WiFi was was slow in the room but quick in the lobby

the buffet was 5 star. location was in the middle of all the great attractions in Chicago. Everything was walking distance.

The bed sheets were too big for the bed. More towels and larger sizes would have been more appreciated in the bathroom, than what was provided. The water pressure in the shower was disappointing. It could be compared to a light rain. The size of the living area of our room was much smaller than expected and the huge walk-in closet was pointless, in our opinions. The walls sounded like they were paper thin and the train was obvious hearing it pass through every 5-8 minutes. The cost of the stay was a bit ridiculous for the quality of the room and the fair for the overnight parking was an added surprise (not in a good way) but over all, we were thankful to have been able to stay at such a beautiful hotel.

The king bed was comfortable and had perfect firmness/softness for our liking. The bathroom was calming and the shower was nice and roomy. The hotel decor on the main level (in grand entry and check-in area) was astonishing. The staff were friendly and helpful. Check out was super easy, just dropping room keys into a box and going.

The cost of food especially fruit at the cafe was overpriced. $2.50 for a banana! I understand that prices in tourist locations are always higher but that seemed a little excessive.

Great location, beautiful interior and facilities. My room had two bathrooms and the bed was very comfortable. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Executive King Room

Bathroom too small,dirt behind night table which is horible and manager behavior is like he is in attack mode.other than that everything was excelent.

Wish the pool was open later so I could've gotten a chance to swim.

Room was very clean and bed was super comfy! Loves how quiet the room was and how friendly the staff was!

• Executive King Room

Bottom line: Not worth it. There are other hotels MUCH better on the same price range. Nothing outrageously bad, but nothing notoriously good either about this hotel. On this trip I was going to Chicago, then another city and back to Chicago, and had initially booked on this Hilton to both stays. As soon as I got in my room for the first time I cancelled the second stay, and got another EXCELLENT hotel for the same price. The room is somewhat small, there is no USB outlets in the room (seriously? It's 2018! Not even one on the alarm clock near the bed), the pillows are TINY (looked like decorative sofa pillows), they even had to be creative with the pillowcase folding, or the pillow would get lost inside it. You can't control the air conditioning, the temperature would not be on the chosen one even after a whole day with it on, so the room is always on the too-warm side, and they recommend you don't open the windows because of bugs and spiders. Be careful if you book this with breakfast included thru this website. They tried to give me 10 dollars per person per day as a bonus (and only that). The breakfast buffet is 30ish. When I went to complain that my booking said 'breakfast included' they blamed on the system changing or something and gave me vouchers to the buffet.

It is walkable distance to the Field Museum, Planetarium and Aquarium. It is a historic building with many interesting historic tidbits associated, that they loop on a little television on the elevator. There is a tablet in the room pre-loaded with many hotel and city information, recommendations for restaurants and must-sees. The bathroom is big and comfortable. And bright as it should be. Perfectly clean.

• Queen with Two Queen Beds

The thermostat in the room was broken. It didn't turn on or work at all. We didn't notice until we went to bed around midnight after watching a movie and getting room service (room service took an hour and a half to get). It got pretty cold (into the 60's) overnight in the room. I let the front desk know about the thermostat and they gave us $50 off our bill for the inconvenience. The hotel garage parking was a bit steep too ($65). Everything else was fine.

The location was great. We were able to walk to Millennium Park and see the art exhibits. We also walked down Michigan Avenue and hit a bunch of different shops. There were decent restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well. We ate at a Chicago pizza place called Lou Malnati's Pizzeria which was pretty good.

The bathroom was filthy, the sheets on the bed looked as though they had been slept in before I had gotten there, parking was $75 per night and that is insane. Each time I visited the front desk, I waited in line for more than 10 minutes, there were never more than 2 people at the desk.

We got there and there was someone in our room. They were very good about making it right and accommodating us to an upgraded room. Overall the stay was good, I would recommend for the money that should do free WiFi and cheaper parking for guests.

The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed the older style of the exterior, yet updated feel and look of the interior. It also had restaurants and stores onsite.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is outrageous for a night. My room had 2 bathrooms and if both showers ran..1 was cold. For paying so much a night and no free breakfast or WIFI?! Couldn't use hot tubs bc there were young kids in the adult one. Only 1 adult hot tub? Not impressed for a Hilton. Expensive with no incentive to stay again.

• King Room with Lake View

The room temperature is not adjustable by the customer. Called the technician, he came and said because of the historic building structure its not possible to adjust room temp its automatic.

Excellent Breakfast. Good location

My visit was great. 10. Short story Maria in Herb and Kitchen provided extra customer service. I ordered a slice of cheese pizza. There were pepperoni and sausage already on the counter. She went to the sink washed additional serving spatulas to cut my pizza slice without using the same utensil as the meat pizza slices. She did this automatically without being asked. Because of Maria’s attentiveness and care, I will certainly be back.

• King Room with Lake View

Noisy air conditioner is a bad point in the instalation and vending machines does not accept credit cards or $20 dollars bills, vending machines does not give change. Free water bottle use to be a cortesy in this range of price hotels

Location, room view, breakfast

The room was incredibly small. So small that I could hear every single conversation that was held in our hallway the entire night. I got no sleep due to the noise and the curtains that wouldn't close.

The location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool area crowded and loud constantly! Lights out in my room! Wifi was a total joke! No change machined for vending machines at all. Restaurant food $8.50 for a cold sandwich $11 for a salad Had to pay to park at the hotel im paying to stay at!

Apparently i like the idea of staying at a "Hilton"! Did not live up to expectations .

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

I booked an executive room and have been really disappointed : small room, small beds, 1 shampoo for 3 people, extra shampoo received 24h after having been requested. I also had issue with the "breakfast included", necessity to pick up coupons at the reception (1 hour to get the coupons), absolutely no benefit with the executive room (even 1 bottle of water) ...

nice location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Or room was actually smaller than I would have expected it was 4 girls one room with two mirrors. One in the back room and one behind the door with no lighting. Update rooms please!

Hotel location was pretty good. Texting the staff was so cool they always responded timely and nicely and just checked in on us probably the coolest part of the hotel!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Booked the room for 2 adults and 2 kids. Room rate included breakfast. Breakfast coupons were provided for adults only and was told that we had to pay for the kids.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very sleepless night the room we had, we could hear the noisey elevators going up and down much of the night. Elevators on the other side of the wall of the room we were given. I mentioned this in the morning and the desk said we should have requested another room the night before. Used ear plugs which helped. In the morning 7AM to 8AM the TV didn't work - no signal

Bed was comfortable.

We were told parking was included in our stay, int to be charged 62 for 1 night! Asked for bath towels and received had towels, called for milk and no one came. Manager rude when we asked about bill and parking! Won’t be gig back!

Was close to everything

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No hot water in sink, only tub. Lighting in bathroom not good for putting on makeup and mirror pretty deep on counter so yellow lighting only option

Fairly quiet. Clean.

• Queen with Two Queen Beds

For the money I spent for 1 night, I felt it was unfair I had to pay for luggage storage

At the Sox fest, great location, great rooms for the fest, beautiful hotel

• King Room with Lake View

The cleaning of the room The cover of the bed too thin

The quick service, the concierge advise, the security at night, the fact that the Chicago specific dish was available at the Herb'n Kitchen.

• Queen with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

the facility waa nice but there was no microwave in the room was not allowed to bring one in and the one that was available was in the food store which closed at 11 p.m.

The price was due to the hotel location and did not reflect the quality of the room itself. The room was clean with no problems but was something I would expect from a hotel with lower rates. Small hot tub for the facility.

Lovey hotel. Extra security due to the new year festivities. Staff was wonderful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Was VERY noisy. Trains were so loud outside. People walking down hallway and stomping upstairs above us. No kettle in room, just a small coffee maker .

Two bathrooms in the room. Spacious and clean. Comfortable beds.

• Queen with Two Queen Beds

Told us we had breakfast available for everyone including our kids. When we arrived at the hotel, only gave us 2 breakfast. Must pay for the kids.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Server at breakfast- not paying attention, disorganized

The manager at the Brunch stepping in when one of the servers was below par. She was outstanding. Brunch- fantastic.

The heater was really difficult to control and wasn’t very reactive, it was either too hot or too cold in the room. The room had windows that faced other hotel rooms, very strange. The check in staff were rude and didn’t explain things well. Even though the hotel advertises a pool and gym these are extra at a charge per day per person, ridiculous. Everything was an extra other than the basics which was disappointing from a reputable brand. With 3000 rooms you don’t fee special, even though you are spending a significant amount of money.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was clean and tidy.

The pillows were down that did not support your head in the least. We only had a sheet and a very light blanket on the bed. I had to use my coat on the bed to get the feel of the weight of a comforter.

Hotel was pretty and its’ history maintained. Christmas decorations were beautiful. Elevators were fast and available. Lots of lobby space to congregate with other guests .King room was a good size with nice furniture and TV. Loved that I could adjust the heat in our room.

No AC, I was allergic to something in the room and was unable to be changed to a different room due to the hotel being overbooked. I ended up leaving the hotel with a rash all over my face!