Reviews of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza 4 stars

35 West 5th Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202, USA

#10 of 27 hotels in Cincinnati

The room was $ $189 night it was very small and it didn't have a view I was very upset
    • Superior Queen Room

I didn't like that we asked for a Room with a View and they said that it was impossible but as big as the hotel was they should have made it possible

What I did like about the room was the location

Needs updating rooms old but it was very clean.
    • Superior Queen Room

Needs updating rooms old but it was very clean. And you close the pool and hot tub was the reason for my wife and i visit. But the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Historic marvel!
    • Superior Queen Room

This is an astonishing building and a true tribute to the Art Deco era--the lobby and general purpose areas are stunning. That being said, the rooms are smaller given the historic nature of the hotel, and could use a little updating--ie please have the painters respect the glory of gorgeous molding . . .

The elevators were slow an not all of them were working so...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

The elevators were slow an not all of them were working so many people needed to pile in. Also I was overcharged for the room and the property did not get back to me. It was not easy to figure out where to go to check in. It’s way overpriced for an old musty hotel.

I walked away.
    • Mini Suite with King Bed

Tried to stiff me for $850 for 2 nights. I walked away but saw that the following night they were offering rooms at $140. Appalling. I will never use them again.

Hilton review
    • King Room with Spa Bath

If you stay here, be aware this is a downtown location with panhandling present. It was a little disconcerting to constantly be approached every time we walked out of the hotel.

The service, amenities, and architecture were all wonderful. We chose one of the King Size, Jacuzzi rooms and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Majestic structure, grand lobby interiors.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We came in at 9pm expecting a good meal and told we could only be served in the bar, first come first served and live band. Bar food was expensive, limited menu and poor quality. Service was adequate but not accommodating.

Majestic structure, grand lobby interiors.

NEVER AGAIN.
    • Superior King Room

This was quite possibly one of the worst & smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in- not a single good thing to say about it. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a wood pallet with sheets on top. I was in so much pain the next day it hurt to sit. There was hardly any storage room. The closet was so small I physically could not fit in it (I'm a very tiny girl) and there was half of a dresser (the other half had a "mini" mini fridge). The bathroom. By far the smallest hotel bathroom I've ever seen. I've seen studio apartments with bigger & nicer bathrooms. There was no counter, instead there was a ~4in ledge under the mirror. I have to close the toilet seat to use as a counter for my only toiletry item which was a small makeup bag. The view was a wall. The inside of the room and the bathroom had wallpaper peeling off. The walls were SO thin I could hear not only anyone who walked by in the hallway but also the rooms next to me showering, flushing, using the sink, and even an alarm clock at 7am when I hadn't slept a wink! The worst part- the air conditioning unit was blowing out some sort of perfume. As if the bed wasn't bad enough, the little room smelled like dead rotting flowers. It gave me an absolute throbbing headache and lingered after I turned it off. I was up all night in a hard bed with a headache and sinus pains listening to everything going on around my room. The following day I was miserable from suffering this horrible experience. The "amazing" restaurant downstairs was not impressive. My boyfriend and I nearly sent both of our entrees back, something we do not ever ever do. The service was far less than hospitable as well. If you want an authentic historic experience, stay here. The rooms are clearly the same size as they were nearly one hundred years ago. The hotel's saving grace? A pretty lobby/lounge and absolutely wonderful front desk staff.

The front desk staff was wonderful.

Memorable!
    • Superior Queen Room

There was t anything I didn’t like.

It’s a beautiful, historic hotel with gorgeous Art Deco decor and conveniently located to all the major attractions in downtown Cincinnati. Walkable to river.

It took about 20 minutes to check in as she could not find...
    • Superior King Room

It took about 20 minutes to check in as she could not find my reservations, then after going to the 26th floor, my keys didn’t work and I had to go back down

WONDERFUL HOTEL

NOTHING!!!!

THE HOTEL IS BEAUTIFULA DN THE ROOM IS VERY SPACIOUS AND CLEAN! WHEN WE GOT THERE I WAS ASKED IF I WANTED TO A ROOM WITH A VIEW AND HE DID @ NO ECTRA CHRAGE, I APPRECIATED THAT!

FANTASTIC
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Staff are very friendly and easy going, the room is really big in size didn't expect that! It's in the same building of tbe tower so you can go to the 49th floor and observe the whole city.

ok, but will probably not choose this hotel again
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I specifically stayed here because they said there was a skywalk to the convention center. There was but it was closed and I was told that it would not be reopening. The room was small for the price, the Libby area was extremely loud.

Staff was friendly and helpful

Probably the nicest hotel in which I, and my adult daughter, have ever stayed.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Just one little thing, the toilet when flushed had a loud, high pitched whistle. So, it wasn't possible to slip in and quietly use the facilities during sleeping hours.

The architecture and atmosphere. The bar with live music. Comfortable beds.

Location location location
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking charge was not told there would be a fee for parking. As a Hilton Honors member there should have been free parking or a reduced rate.

Friendly staff, clean hotel and the location

I would repeat the visit.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

My bed was far too soft and I had to ask for a bed-board. I believe the comforter was of down. It was wrapped in a cover, but I still coughed a bit a night. I am allergic to feathers. I did request the the pillows be synthetic, and they were - just as requested.

The staff was attentive, cheerful, and all-around a pleasure to deal with. The restaurants & bar were excellent.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this beautiful, art-deco Hotel in the heart of downtown Cincinnati.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The views from the upper floors were amazing. You could see much of downtown Cincinnati! This building was also very beautiful. The 1930's design hasn't aged a bit!

We celebrated our first anniversary and we had a wonderful time.
    • Mini Suite with King Bed

The vent in the bathroom was quite dirty.

The. Jew was lovely, and the size of the mini suite was wonderful. I also appreciated the amount of lighting in the room.

Overall we had a great time and I would say our stay was very good as usual!
    • One-Bedroom Junior King Suite with Sofa Bed

I didn't sleep on the sofa bed but I was told it was very uncomfortable by my granddaughter.

Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We also had an excellent view of the river.

Located In the heart of downtown Cincinnati
    • One-Bedroom Junior King Suite with Sofa Bed

Had to go to the lobby for drinks (soda) but guest book stated vending machines on each floor. They need to update information in guest book.

Loved the King Size bed, temperature control, French door to separate bedrooms & seating room, two bathrooms and two televisions, AWESOME!!

Best Hotel I've been Too!!
    • Mini Suite with King Bed

I have nothing bad to say. This is the second time I have visited and will be back!!

Excellent staff and service all around. Very helpful, knowledgeable, and respectful!

• Superior Queen Room

I'd have to invent something which I won't do.

Architecture and history of the building. Fantastic location close to unique restaurants and sights. Able to learn much about Cincinnati. View from the room was outstanding and staff in contact with was superior.

Liked the stay but read above
    • Superior Queen Room

Parking. We had an issue! Picked the V. Parking off the start and pulled out only at the last day and the brakes didn’t work on our car. We didn’t have a problem for 150 mole travel until then. ?????

Location. Friendly service. View.

I would choose to stay again on the condition that I could check the room for dust. On a positive
    • Superior Queen Room

The room was exceptionally dusty. The dust was actually layered! (Room 1546)

The staff was extremely amenable both for the conference and for personal issues .

It was an awesome trip!!
    • Superior Queen Room

We booked a superior queen room. The bed was not a queen . It was a full size bed . Was not too happy about that. See, I have restless leg & sleep apnea so I really could've used the extra room..

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

It was convenient and the beds were comfortable but not worth $210.
    • Superior Queen Room

You can tell the building is old, cracks in the ceiling and on the tile in the bathroom. I think $210 ( with taxes) is steep for a nights stay. The staff don't seem to get many cash payments , it took awhile to pay and one staff person had trouble figuring out the coin change.

The beds were comfortable.

Space in mini suite for sitting area.
    • Mini Suite with Two Double Beds

No microwave. Difficult to get around as a first stay. Missed not having an outdoor pool...had knowledge it was not available however.

Space in mini suite for sitting area. Walk in closet excellent! Best closet ever in my hotel experience. Loved shower.

It wasy excellent
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

The elevators took to long.... I think different floors should check out at daddy times..i has to wait an hour for one... Then had to go up to go done

The bed was perfect....everything was fine

The bed was very comfy.
    • King Room with Spa Bath

They charged $20 for breakfast and it was so crowded it took 20 minutes to get on the elevator

The bed was very comfy. Employees was very nice and attentive

+ Well located downtown, just a few blocks from the football...
    • Superior Queen Room

- interior/rooms "old-fashioned" and you can see that they are in use like that already for a while - no power plugs near bed

+ Well located downtown, just a few blocks from the football & baseball stadium + large and well equipped gym

Just wasn't happy
    • Superior Queen Room

Motel room paint was peeling off the ceiling wasn't real super clean very small room noisy at night music playing outside till 10 at night not happy with the price I paid valet was 30 bucks charged twice thought it was free

The restaurant was nice

Great lobby; small room!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Housekeeping ignored our small room and bath. We were up and out of the room in the morning and only in it for a hour from 4 till 5pm. When we returned at 11pm a note was left on the bed saying that they couldn't access our room so that is why it wasn't cleaned up.

The lobby bar/restaurant was lively and the food was above average. The music was delightful. The public rooms were charming and very well decorated. The interior architecture remains in tact and is beautiful.

• Superior Queen Room

Mix up bringing luggage to our room. It was taken to another room. Waited 45 minutes.

Location was perfect. Nice, clean room. Friendly and obliging staff.

The hotel is close to everything so you can park your car...
    • Superior Queen Room

Not having more choices for tv , we missed the Fox business channel for the daily market conditions. Everything else was great.

The hotel is close to everything so you can park your car and walk wherever you like. The hotel is beautiful and all of the staff was very helpful with whatever you need. Would stay there again. Views of the city views at night are wonderful as we were on the 27th floor.

Beautiful building, very nice rooms and ammenities. Great staff.
    • Superior Queen Room

Elegant 32 story hotel built in 1931 in the heart of downtown, but totally modernized. Lovely architecture, stunning woodwork and decorations, two restaurants. Great staff - well dressed, knowledgeable, eager to help, friendly! Large bedroom with comfortable beds & chairs, desk, dresser, two clothes closets with hangers, large flat screen TV, WIFI, refrigerator, plenty of electric outlets, heat and AC thermostat in the room. Six modern elevators that were there almost as soon as you pressed the button. The bathroom was a little small but up to date with everything you need and very nice big towels. Clean, quiet, lovely place to stay! Plenty of nearby shopping, banking, and restaurants. Downtown has skyways to enable one to remain dry and warm when walking to other buildings from this hotel.

Beautiful place. But a little frustrating at
    • Mini Suite with Two Double Beds

Room was not as pictured. Showed a separate room for beds. The sofa bed was by air conditioning and was brutal to sleep by. To expensive over all. Pool was ok but the snap lady was rather rude.

Beautiful building. Home Workers were very kinda.

Art Deco Masterpiece
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel has retained its unique Art Deco design. The rooms itself are nothing to write home about, but the public spaces are really wonderful and over the top.

Celebrate Cincy at an Art Deco landmark
    • Superior Queen Room

The room was tight for two people, especially the bathroom, but that's a function of it being an older hotel. It's hard to squish in all the amenities (queen bed, desk with office chair, easy chair, TV, ironing board, hair dryer and bathroom counter space), that people expect now, into a 1930's hotel space. The bed was good, and air-conditioning was fine. I wish that I had chosen a larger room when I booked through Booking.com. Next time I will keep that in mind.

Absolutely beautiful example of Art Deco architectural style! I enjoyed taking the self-guided tour through the public rooms, some of which are spectacular. Lots of glamorous history, and it was fun to imagine being there in the 1930's and 1940's. I had dinner one night on my own at the Palm Court bar and enjoyed the live jazz combo and friendly bartender, and people. It's a great location, a block from Fountain Square. Breakfast at the Palm Court was good, and a fair price for a hotel meal.

Could have been good but several problems
    • One-Bedroom Junior King Suite with Sofa Bed

The hotel had my booking rate wrong through booking.com and it took over 30 minutes and a lot of back and forth to get it resolved. The staff person was friendly but the manager on duty treated me as though I was bothering him. Also, there was a hair in the bathroom. Additionally, when checking in, the front desk staff told me that someone from housekeeping would come up to my room to make the sofa bed up in to a bed. I waited for several hours and finally went down to the desk to inquire and they said they had forgotten. Additionally when the sofa bed was made up it only had one pillow and no blanket.

The property was conveniently located and it is a very pretty hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Outlets need replaced.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Outlets need replaced. Unless I help the charger in the wall it just fell out and wouldn't charge my phones. Bathroom faucet leaked. Building looked great and recently redone but the room was in need of a touch up.

Stay was good but bring your own food
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

That the restaurant was not open when we wanted to eat and that the only selection was Domino's pizza and they were so busy they closed early and did not pick up their phone. So we had to eat snacks from the snack store in the hotel that was so outrageously priced.

Staff was professional.

Not what you expect from the pictures
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Difficult to navigate inside the hotel, for ramps, and to the parking garage

Honestly, the pictures were deceiving. It was also very difficult to get around with a double stroller. Poor signage. We payed way too much for what we got.

Beds were super comfy.
    • Queen Room

Valet parking was a little expensive, and it's easy to get confused trying to navigate the lobbies.

Beds were super comfy. We stayed here because we wanted to be able to walk to and from CincyBeerfest at the Duke Energy Center, and it was perfect!

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

a piece of history
    • Superior King Room

The faucet and the shower head, were very delicate, was nervous that I would break them. The valet guy on our way out, was a little rude.

The whole building had all the charms of the past, the decor. Wonderfully polite staff. Great view of the city from the observation deck. Great drinks at the orchid

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

I wouldn't stay here again
    • Queen Room

My bed felt like it was from the 1920s, there was a constant electrical whining noise in my room that could not be diagnosed, clearly the rooms and decor have not been updated in 20+ years

Lobby and restaurant and location feel like 1920s Gatsby

Convenient location.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Mattress horribly wimpy. My teen child and I fell into the middle together. No support at all. A mattress should be firmer than that. The pillows were a joke. No support, no fluff, nothing. Why even have a pillow.

Didn't know there would be fireworks straight out our window. What a nice view of them and I don't like fireworks. Lovely old architecture. Great view of the river.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

We stay there all the time whenever in Cincinnati
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Card keys didn't work on the last night there. No problem, just used the house phone and called for another pair.

We stay there all the time whenever in Cincinnati

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

The art deco architecture and details were amazing.
    • Queen Room

The pool was closed which was one of the main reasons I picked this hotel, so we were disappointed. We were told we could go to the Plaza a block away but we were not interested in that.

The art deco architecture and details were amazing. Staff were very nice and accommodating. Location is excellent. Bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Close to both sights and excellent restaurants.
    • Queen Room

Room was very tight and water in bathroom faucet was leaking . No room to put necessities in the bathroom that was dry or even a shelf.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff was very open to questions about sights around, helpful concierge. The bar in the hotel was wonderful specially for late even, nice to come home and share a nip before retiring.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Our Trip to the Bengals
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The food was expensive for what you were getting. The drinks were expensive too. The air conditioning unit in the room was quite noisy.

The room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable. Clean towels daily. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

Lovely hotel and very conveniently located.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stuck in the parking garage elevator for over 30 minutes. Garage staff came by only once. Hotel managers were very apologetic and paid for all parking but said they weren't responsible for the garage operation.

Lovely hotel and very conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Fabulous stay at the gorgeous Hilton Netherlands!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom in the room was small with very little counter space. For two women sharing the space, it was tough to find room for our toiletries and cosmetics.

The staff was unbelievably, uniformly helpful and friendly! I would love to know how they do training and hiring...amazing! The hotel itself is a gorgeous, Art Deco classic building and it was a real feast for the senses...the carpets, the wall sconces, the hallways, the decor, were all great.

Not what we expected
    • Queen Room

The walls must be paper thin. We were woke up at 2am by some ridiculously loud guests. Never had such a horrible nights sleep in a hotel! Also, the breakfast was terrible.

Checked in on Saturday with my wife. We had tickets to a Bengals game the next day, and this place is walking distance to the stadium. There are a lot of shops within walking distance, too, so we had planned to check them out. Well, we found out the hard way that 99% of the stores closed at 2pm and we checked in around 3:30pm. Disappointing.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

The lounge area
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room needed work damaged furniture walls and carpet looked dirty. The head board on my bed looked like someone slimmed it with bodily fluids. Dirty towels were left in our room and not picked up by housekeeping. One of the attendants looked at us like we did not belong in the hotel.i will never stay at this particular hilton again.

The lounge area

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

4.5
    Don't ever book with booking.com you will be disappointed.
    • Queen Room

Booking.com lying to us and saying I had a prepaid stay when I charged it when I made the reservation. We could only stay 1 night, not 2 because again, when I placed the order it said prepaid, no refunds. When I got there, it wasn't prepaid, so our weekend was disappointing and short. Booking.com is deceptive and they lied to me. I give them a negative 3 stars.

Location near our destinations.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

A gorgeous hotel in need of upgrades
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very slow valet parking services. We had to physically walk into the hotel to find somebody...and nobody showed up at the room, after we called in for luggage pick- up.

Large beautiful hotel with spacious rooms in the heart of Cincinnati with excellent restaurants in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Nice location, but takes advantage by price gouging during popular weekends
    • Queen Room

The room was incredibly small and I feel like the hotel took advantage of a popular weekend in the city by price gouging. $350 for a queen bed in a tiny room ? Unfair and preying on the desperate.

The location was great, and the facilities were lovely.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Until next time....
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms very clean and the view was stunning. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it did not disappoint, Very beautiful atmosphere, we will definitely be back again.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Not satisfied
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very disappointed with the facility. I expected for the price and from the pictures, a very nice room. We got a mediocre room, that had a musty odor to it. Not impressed at all. A waste of money.

The staff was very nice and professional.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Great hotel. Would return. In a heartbeat.
    • Queen Room

The showerhead in the bathroom was pretty clogged with mineral deposits but there was still an adequate amount of water to make the experience A-okay.

We loved the historical personality of the hotel coupled with the fact that facilities were up to date.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Queen Room

Our key wouldn't work and I tried to call from the floor, no answer. I went down to get a new key and they asked for ID (which is for security purposes) but I had everything in my room. It took a good 5-7 min to convince the front desk my ID was in the room that I couldn't get into. So I had to do a search to find my confirmation number on my phone.

Location was perfect.

The way they've kept up the condition of the hotel, the...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room wasn't ready at 4:15 when we arrived. It would've been nice to have a double room with 2 queen beds for a choice.

The way they've kept up the condition of the hotel, the cleanliness, the appearance, the renovations, all lend to an enjoyable experience at this iconic and historic landmark hotel. Room service came quicker than anticipated on a day the hotel was full. The parking (valet and self-parking) was very affordable considering the type of hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Nice place, customer service needs work
    • King Room with Spa Bath

When we first arrived, our room keys worked and when we left and returned, they didn't. The front desk didn't apologize. The in-room refrigerator did not work and had to be replaced. The bedspread had rusty looking stains on it that looked like blood drops. Housekeeping had to change it. This meant our room was occupied by housekeeping and maintenance for roughly an hour again--no apology from the front desk. Also, there is a $50 charge for incidentals even though Booking says there's no deposit. It wasn't a big deal since we had breakfast at the Orchid, but if you're splurging and on a budget, that might be good to know.

The room was very large. The bed was quite comfortable. We had an in-room jacuzzi that was relaxing and nice. The building is old so it is really unique and everything is conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

pictures looked better than was
    • Queen Room

room wasn't ready at 7:00pm wanted us to leave our phone # and they would call us when ready or change to 2 full bed from a queen finally mgr stepped in and found one . room was small . parking garage was a little walk from the hotel no shuttle to casinos as there site said hotel resturant was pretty pricey

hotel was older but had charm

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Fabulous staff and facility!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

There was nothing not to like on our stay.

The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. We were treated like VIP's. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The bar and restaurant were both fantastic!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Dissapointed
    • Queen Room

The bed too soft, almost impossible to sleep in it...every time your partner turns on the other side, you wake up, and the bed was shaking like a waterbed....way too expensive and no wifi in the room unless you pay... Todat that is unacceptable and outrageous.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Ok if you need to be downtown, if not try another part of town
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were very few restaurants in the area other than the high end restaurants like Morton's Steak House (can't eat there 3 times a day). The Fountain Square area has so many homeless people asking for money. We were approached containly to the point where we stopped going over there. Food options are very limited

Brunch in the hotel was great

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Outstanding historic property worth spending time in.
    • Queen Room

When going to ask about the breakfast, which was included with the room, we were pointed toward the restaraunt without knowing it would be a $150 breakfast (for 4 of us).

I love history, the building had historic event plaques around the building, like events Elvis and Bing Crosby had in their heydays. That said, the building was awesome and updated.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

an architectural gem.
    • Queen Room

The building is an architectural gem inside and out, my main reason for staying there on more than one occasion. Staff was great all around, room was updated and well cared for.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

A Gem of a Place.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Staff extremely friendly and courteous. Beautiful Art Deco hotel. Center of town. Quite rooms. Great towels, a must for me. Nice evening entertainment lounge.

The location and the view!
    • Superior Queen Room

The location and the view!

Gorgeous Architecture ~ Excellent Location ~ Wonderful Staff

Gorgeous Architecture ~ Excellent Location ~ Wonderful Staff

Ok
    • Superior King Room

Size of room small. Would of liked to know the size when I booked it

Breakfast was not served with rook. Was very expensive

THERE ARE MUCH BETTER VALUES FOR YOUR DOLLAR IN DOWNTOWN CINCINNATI

ROOM EXTREMELY OUTDATED

LOBBY AND STAFF

Very positive. Staff was very friendly. Great buffet breakfast.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air conditioner was a little loud and more shelf space in the bathroom would be a great addition.