Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Albany-SUNY Area 3 stars

1389 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12206, USA

#12 of 40 hotels in Albany

I would never recommend this hotel it’s old worn out rooms are horrible it’s over priced and the noi
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible/Non-Smoking

The location was the worst , right on top of a freeway the noise was unacceptable it was horrendous and a big dirty building was being built next door so the grounds we a huge mess disorder every where uneven pathways a disaster

The breakfast was the best we had out of all the hotels we have stayed in

Overall good experience for first visit to Suny Albany with my kids. Will stay there again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Wish this place had an outdoor garden/sitting area with benches and trees. Other than UAlbany, nothing withing walking distance. Construction next door. No shuttle to downtown and mall.

Good place to stay at if visiting Suny Albany. Nice breakfast, clean room and friendly staff.

I upgraded to a jacuzzi room, paying a good amount of money...
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

I upgraded to a jacuzzi room, paying a good amount of money extra to find that the jacuzzi didn't work. It was just a glorified bath tub. When I brought it up to staff, they only said that they would have maintenance look at it. No offer of recompense.

Great hotel at a reasonable price
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

I always stay here when I am in Albany. Great location for business travel since it close to lots of state office and SUNY Albany as well as two interstates. Great quick and courteous breakfast.

Very nice all around- would stay here again
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

There was a misunderstanding yesterday morning as we went to check out regarding whether or not breakfast was included in our rate. The agent at the desk kindly looked into it, and although could not figure out where the mistake took place- she accommodated 2 of our party of 3 with a free breakfast. Very professional & very pleasant. Much appreciated

Very enjoyable overall !
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

For the price breakfast wasn’t included . Construction going on next door .

The staff was pleasant, the bed was comfortable and the pillows were amazing !

It was just ok.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Check in is at 3. We got there early and booked this 2 months ago requesting a handicap room as I have a neuro muscular disease and my husband just recently had a double hip replacement. At 330 after waiting around since we did get there early and understood our room would not be ready at 130 when we arrived - but they had the heads up we were there. Still at 330 my room was not ready. We were on a college tour weekend and had a schedule to follow - I did not think it was to much to ask to have the room ready at the time you advertise check in. The woman checking us in was a bit sarcastic. The manager just ended up putting us in a regular room. Which the rooms are nice and clean. But not having the handicap bathroom that we requested was disappointing and made the weekend more difficult for both my husband and I Being around the college there are so many hotels to choose from. We will be there 4-5 times a year. Many others offer a continental breakfast - this one you pay for and no cash machine in the hotel. We ran out to the gas station down the road to get cash

Comfortable lobby to relax in. Loved the elevator to the small parking garage

It was an overnight stay. It was okay. I would probably try another hotel.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

The bathroom smelled and wasn’t as clean as we expected. The light in the room was dark. I didn’t feel like I wanted to sit on the chair because it was old and looked dirty. The table too looked old and scratched. The staff wasn’t as friendly or welcoming. They were just a little too business-like.

It was in a good location. Close to where we wanted to go, the State Capitol. Quiet.

Adequate, comfortable
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Booking.com listed this as breakfast included, hotel didn't honor that.

Convient location. comfortable room. Paking lot under the building with direct access to rooms.

If a customer doesn't follow the rules of the hotel please ask them to leave. Thank you!

People were using two parking spots. Children were runing in the halways and slam the doors very hard every5 minutes. We couldn"t sleep that all.

eggs were great .....

Visiting our daughter...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Very nice...the beds were very comfortable...we had a great night's sleep...and the breakfast was very good...nice selection of food and everything was fresh and warm. Easy access to the mall and other shopping...parking was in a parking garage so getting to our car was easy especially in the cold weather.

Comfortable and affordable stay in a modern hotel
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The pool and hot tub could do with some modernisation.

The bed was comfortable and had two types of pillow (firm and soft) the bathroom was clean and modern and the room was spacious. The breakfast had lots of choice!

The young lady checking me in was rude.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The young lady checking me in was rude. She chose to wait on another customer stating that she had already started working on him. He insisted that I go in front of him however, she was not having it. Then after checking him in she proceeded to try and wait on another customer which told her I was first. Neither of them were at the counter when I first arrived. Her response was she was trying to make sure there were enough rooms. Which I feel as though I was given the worst room there. The carpet was stained in several areas and something was wrong with the TV in which maintenance came to check out but he couldn’t figure it out either. So disappointed Hilton.

Wouldn't return.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Poor wyfy connection. Pool was very cold. Didn't have enough Keurig pods(total for 3 people 3 pods) Very noisy with ambulances sirens all night.

Clean but small room. Sports bar had good food.

Right off the thruway, perfect location.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

I asked for a room with a balcony or close to an exit.. she told me yes I have one with a balcony but that was not the case, I did not get a room with a balcony or even close to an exit.

Right off the thruway, perfect location.

The cook made pancakes with chocolate chip smiley faces for...

n/a

The cook made pancakes with chocolate chip smiley faces for my son... who was over the moon excited!! The staff was super nice and very accomodating

Would recommend this hotel to others in the future.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Husband came back upstairs and stated one of the front desk females was flirting with him and made him feel a little uncomfortable. Was originally suppose to stay 4 nights, flight cancelled, stayed another night and was not able to get same rate although chose to stay here again instead of another hotel closer to airport. Otherwise we enjoyed our stay.

Very comfortable bed. Clean room. Quiet which was a plus for me. First night checking in there was a very friendly front desk female who greeted me with a smile and also offered to find us a ride from the hotel when I called to tell her we would be checking in late due to delayed flight.

It was my first time staying at a Hilton, but unfortunately it wasn't a good experience.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

The fire alarm went off in the early evening of 1/10 because of some problem in the kitchen. We were going to eat in the hotel, but were unable to. The next morning we had breakfast, but I would rather pay more for good food, than a little for ordinary fare.

The room was very clean, the bed and pillows just right and the shower had great pressure.

I echo what other reviewers say about the noise from the highway. Lower room numbers are quieter.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible/Non-Smoking

The heat fan in our room was very loud, and the pool was too cold. Our youngest child couldn’t really enjoy the water without shivering after just a few minutes.

We had a huge room (2 queen beds) because it was handicap accessible. It felt extremely spacious.

Staff was very helpful we did not have a snow brush and...
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Having to pay for breakfast. Thought it was included

Staff was very helpful we did not have a snow brush and they lent us one. The snow was over 5 inches

Very pleased....
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Did not have us registered for breakfast package...had to ask...their response." Booking .com frequently messed that up" have me a voucher

Great breakfast, made to order omelet...excellent

Absolutely great. Such a comfortable atmosphere
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

That I couldn't stay another night

Clean, cozy and friendly. During our stay guest services brought up complimentary keurig tea at 400am in the morning with no complaints

Great!

Needs a complimentary breakfast

The hotel itself is very nicely decorated and everything is conveniently located (elevator, lobby, bar, dining area, etc.). Convenient to colleges (SUNY Albany is across the street and College of Saint Rose is 7 min away), huge shopping mall and plaza. Plenty of parking and beds are nice and cozy. Rooms are clean, house keeping was great and the rooms are spacious! Definitely worth it and was not expensive at all!

In general the money payed is equals what returned
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The cleaning is not so good The furniture is old

The room was big enough The restaurant was excellent The facility was wonderful ( the have laundry machine in the ground floor Plenty barking areas The fitness center and SPA was perfect

Very nice stay. Comfortable and safe.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Location, for vacationers, is not prime.

Location is perfect if you are visiting SUNY. However, for our purpose (vacation), it was less so. We Uber'ed downtown both ways for about $20, so it was no huge hurdle. The room was clean and very comfortable. Undewrground parking was a welcome bonus.

Everything was great.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Everything was great. We were moving my son into UAlbany across the street n needed a place to stay. Good food, room great & staff was pretty good too. Thk u. We'll definitely be back again.

The indoor pool and whirlpool were really nice and we had...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

It was very noisy at night. People were yelling right in front of our door.

The indoor pool and whirlpool were really nice and we had them basically to ourselves. The breakfast was really good, too.

the room

coffee. room extremely nosy from traffic!! terrible hotel

the room was extremely noisy from the hyway. i couldn't sleep one minute due to extremely noise coming from the trucks and cars. verry dissapointed with this hotel. no espresso coffe for a Hilton Hotel?!?!?

The rules regarding reservations were ridiculous.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The rules regarding reservations were ridiculous. I reserved the room with a card, intending to pay with cash. The hotel ended up taking 200 additional dollars off my card and didn't return it for weeks after our stay concluded. The restaurant was also closed far too frequently for us to use it. Nice room, but everything else was subpar. Avoid unless you have money to waste.

The staff
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

There was construction all around, thus the problem with parking. Also the Kuereg machine would not work for me (and I know how to use them. )

The staff

Staryed for one night but enjoyed our stay. Beautiful, clean, spacious rooms and nice breakfast.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible/Non-Smoking

The breakfast service could have been better. Lots of confusion with the orders but the food was great :-)

We loved the room and the beds were really roomy and comfortable. Loved the Keurig coffee machine in the room as well.

Good location but room could be cleaner
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Room was fairly clean except for the carpet. Quite dusty and seems as though it had not been vacuumed in a few months.

Comfy beds and good toiletries. Location is very good.

I Loved the Staff.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

I Loved the Staff..the night Desk Man..Chris..gets 5 stars...I was more impressed with The waitress and The chef in The AM..however The food was ok at night..Im a server..in town to take my RN NCLEX. .so if I have to seek..or ask for a lot of tbings..not so cool...The bed was Amazingly comfortable..The Hot Tub..and the pool...I would recommend this Hotel..but perhaps..eat out at night..overall...4 stars..out of 6..💖

staff friendly but property under renovation!!!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

It wasn't disclosed was the property is under renovation. We were very disappointed to have to walk around old wallpaper clippings and not having a ice maker on our floor.

The staff was friendly. The breakfast was fresh and more than enough food.

Love the food in the atmosphere very peaceful and quiet very...
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Hated the fact that the jacuzzi wasn't working that was why I booked the stay so I can get away and relax

Love the food in the atmosphere very peaceful and quiet very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Get room far away from elevators.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Hotel was not full, we checked in at 3pm and were given room next to elevators, late night elevator doors closing right behind headboard and same thing starting at 530 am. Not a good nite sleep.

They had spends for my coffee, but i did have to ask for creamers.

Clean. Comfy. Aesthetically pleasant. ALWAYS consistent.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

No complaints. None. Zip.

Room temp was great! Sometimes they are so dry. Nothing missing in room we needed. Beds very comfy. Staff great. Loved sitting in lobby with coffee and relaxing. Disappointed group of kids overpopulated pool so couldn't enjoy but can't do much about that. ALWAYS look for Hilton Gardens. Consistent! Love decor. Great value. Above all, always friendliest and most welcoming staff! Last visit was to HGI was the Bridgewater, NJ property.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

A great short get away.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The view we had wasn't good. But it didn't really matter.

Sausages were really good. The juice and coffee was also really good. The bed was also really nice.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Wouldn't recommend this place.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

I did not like how noisy it was. The traffic noise was so loud all night. And there were no room darkening drapes! The beds were not comfortable. And the was a huge water stain on the ceiling of our room.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The vicinity was a major factor.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

The pillows were small and soft. The heater thermostat should have a timer so I didn't have to get out of bed.

The vicinity was a major factor. I stayed here before.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Nice experience
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible/Non-Smoking

radiator in room rattled all night and when we told front desk person in morning she immediately removed room charge. Bed was extremely comfortable and breakfast was great

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Good location. Nice amenities. Friendly staff.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Only negative was mattress which needs replacing but was told that's happening soon.

Staff was very nice and bathroom was very well laid out. Lots of counter space and outlets. Great outlets for charging tech gear in room.

Disappointed
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Our room Was next door to a full blown drunk and loud party of people slamming Doors yelling down hallways

There was a wedding on one night and it was so loud and it was very late we spent the whole night awake and next day was exhausted from Lack of sleep and it was awful I had children with me Had to Go to lobby to complain and they went up at 1230am To quiet them down but no breakfast was comped or adjustment made to our room rate I go up to suny Albany four of five times a year with a student there for 220 a night I may try staying elsewhere in future it was a nice hotel but the staff didn't try to give us even a free breakfast or room reduction and considering it was a high rate it was a lot of money for a lousy night sleep staff was sorry but they offered nothing to change my mind about future stays

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Clean, comfortable, good location, excellent breakfast.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

There were only 3 pillows on the queen beds, since there were 2 people in each bed we could have used another pillow each. We couldn't get the fan to stop blowing and it bothered the person sleeping closest to it. The check in person bordered on rude.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent and the wait staff was awesome. Very friendly and helpful!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

OK for one night
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Dim room - not sure if clean. Creepy deserted old motel building with broken windows next to the inn. Low capacity of the dinning area.

Very helpful staff. Free coffee in the lobby. Great location for the campus. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Clean room and very comfortable bed.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

I'm a single woman traveler, arrived for check in at 1am and there was no room in the parking lot. Front desk advised me to park at an adjacent lot next door to hotel which was a vacant hotel. It was not well lit and I did not feel safe. The next night I arrived back at the hotel at 9pm and parked in the Hilton Hotel parking lot which was almost full. There was a light out in the rear of the parking lot and it was extremely dark - again I did not feel safe.

Clean room and very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Worth the price!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Our bed was very comfortable and our room was very quiet. The hotel is close to multiple shopping areas. Love our walk at University at Albany Campus.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Awesome staffs but minor problems
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that my bathroom smelled. It was sort of a smell that leaves on after the clothes or fabrics stay wet for a long time. Also, I could basically hear everything that was going on outside.

The faculty was AMAZING. They were kind, generous and trust worthy.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

Highly Recommended Hotel & Staff!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

I arrived late at night after getting a flat tire on the thruway, and was warmly greeted at the front desk. They even offered to help me change my tire! The staff just always seemed to go above and beyond to make sure that every guest has an excellent stay. The rooms and lobby were very clean, and the breakfast was great! Would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting or even staying over in this area (as I was). the best hotel experience I have had in a while!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Great place, nice location!

Breakfast was off. Service and selection was chaotic, but for $10 I can't complain too much.

Nice, safe location. Great staff, and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Misleading Photos
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

I did not like how the booking.com website showed photos of a different room. It showed two queen beds with a separate living room and a couch. It was just the single room. I booked it due to the additional space and when I arrived, it didn't exist. They don't even have rooms like that in the hotel. The Hilton 7 miles away did though.

I loved that everyone was friendly and very accommodating. The front desk staff were very courteous and helpful!

Friendly staff, good location
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The front desk staff were very friendly.

Best

Best

Great place to stay, lots of constriction & little parking but I would stay here again.

Parking.

Large rooms. Great pool area.

Construction Nearby

Construction Nearby

Very nice place and people!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Very nice place and people!!Excellent service!

Albany

Parking

Location and pool

Wonderful stay
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Location a little hard 2 find but a few uturns we got it right(lol)

Beautiful hotel,great breakfast and good staff

Easy off thruway
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Stained chairs in dining area, room not thoroughly gone over by housekeeping

Easy off thruway

Simply perfect!
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Clean, modern hotel with nice staff and delicious breakfast.. all this while being inexpensive... simply a perfect place!

As always treated with class

Liked everything

Omlettes were fabulous

Was glad to come home!
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The cleanliness and the food!

Good breakfast Entrance with fireplace and chairs very...

Pool old and small

Good breakfast Entrance with fireplace and chairs very comfortable Across the street from U Albany

Ok for the money.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The heater was loud and turned on every 20 minutes.

The bed was comfy.

Rodents

Rodents

Clean, close to venu

Clean, close to venu

Good value ,great breakfast
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

Very comfortable ,excellent breakfast,super clean and super friendly staff

Very convenient for my travels.
    • King Room - Evolution Non-Smoking

The meatballs were old and hard

There was a bar

Comfortable Stay

Complimentary breakfast/Free Parking

Stay was comfortable. The last night, Saturday did not sleep due to room 715 fighting, swearing
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Need more assortment of teas.

Cleanliness, location, room comfortable

Would stay again
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Beds were very comfortable Breakfast choices and quality were superb

Very nice and clean

Had to call 3 times for extra pillows

Breakfast was too expensive.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

Breakfast was too expensive.. ~$10 for standard continental breakfast is ridiculous

Room was nice
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking

No breakfast because of rate$. How much does a cup of coffee and a bagel cost? Come on- even cheap motels offer this!

Room was nice