Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile 3 stars

10 East Grand Avenue, River North, Chicago, IL 60611, United States of America

#57 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Great location!!

The guy that checked us in and the lady that checked us out could use a friendliness and kindness classes. In my opinion being a receptionist means making customers feel at home (specially at a hotel), just a simple opinion from nobody but since I’m reviewing it I thought you guys needed to know. Thanks!

Location and how they keep the hotel clean and up to date.

Weekend getaway

Exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work. Maybe one of the reasons air in the whole suite was always damp.

Staff was always friendly and helpful with a smile.

Excellent hotel with excellent service

No complaints

Top Notch location for a decent price. Clean, good staff and service. Quick with assistance on getting around and giving pointers along the way. I would highly recommend this as a top level pick when visiting Chicago for the Money to Quality Value you will receive here.

Happy at Hilton

I loved everything! I had a great time staying there!

The check-in associates, the housekeeping. It was a very nice room. And the coffee in the room was great....

The hotel was convenient and close to all we need.

There’s inconsistency about complimentary bottled water. One staff (night of July 4) asked us to pay for it but the rest of the staff during our stay told us it’s complimentary.

The hotel was convenient and close to all we need. Restaurant nearby and attractions in downtown are only walking distances. Staff were mostly nice especially Hank who is very friendly, accommodating, helpful and pleasant.

The kids loved the getaway.

Checkout line was long and we didn’t get any information about deposit we had to keep asking the agent questions just to understand the process

The location was perfect to walk and sightsee and the price was awesome

Great location in downtown Chicago!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Great location in downtown Chicago! The front desk was helpful and recommended a great place to find Chicago deep dish pizza! Parking was also convenient.

Perfect location in the city!

The parking garage isn’t located to the property and is about $60 a night

Perfect location in the city! Right by the train and tons of great restaurants

Everything was great except parking and touchy fire alarms

all parking is $48 or so per day and very sensitive fire alarms, one next to the bed and one in the bathroom, set off only five minutes into taking my shower!

Amazingly helpful and friendly staff, they even remmebered peoples' names!

My husband and I will never stay or recommend The Hilton Garden Inn to anyone

The supervisor on staff was NOT AT ALL HELPFUL. Everyone on duty was NEW and NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE AT ALL!!!! Housekeeping didn’t show up til after 4 pm only to ask if we wanted the room vacuumed😡😡😡!!!

The bed was very comfortable!

We had a good view, 20 min walk to the Navy Pier, we were close to restaurants and shops too

My son and I both suffered some sort of allergy which i thought originally was bed bugs, but per the staff who said the pest control people came to the location, there weren't any bugs. I have small sores all over my body and they are so itchy including my face, ears, stomach and back. They claimed maybe I was allergic to something else or maybe a different type of bug entered the hotel. I have never been allergic to any sort of detergent or soap, so I am not sure exactly where this rash is coming from. The agreed to COMP me some of my stay for the inconvenience.

We were close to the Navy Pier and shops. Indoor pool in 12th floor.

Parking was expensive. Thought if you were staying in the hotel would have been free or some kind of discount. Pool floor very slippery and no adult swim time kids in hot tub til close

Room was clean and the room was well taken care of by the...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Requested and paid for the room with a city view and the view ended up being a brick wall and when brought to the attention of the front desk they quickly changed it, the next room was a view of a vacant building. The concierge was the front desk, but the person assisting us was not clear on the tour she was recommending and could not answer questions, which was tour the hotel prefers and has a partnership with.

Room was clean and the room was well taken care of by the staff (especially the second night). It was also nice to have a refrigerator and microwave to keep libations and leftovers!

Excellent location, very good view

The linens and towels. A few of the towels had stains on them. The fitted sheet on my bed was inside out, I called to have it fixed, when we pulled the sheets back it was clear they had set in oil stains. The news sheets had a faded blood stain on the fitted sheet and ink stains on the flat sheet. I was really unimpressed with that. I would have liked slippers in the room, and usually shower caps are complimentary but here I had to call and request it.

very comfortable bed, worth the extra money for the view. Good toiletries

It was the best location, and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate our every need.

We thought there would be a continental breakfast offered by the hotel and included in the price.

We had a wonderful time and it's in the best location.

We had a great time and loved being in the heart of the city!

It’s pricey, but most places around are similar. The bath towels were a bit rough.

Location, location, location. The hotel is right in the middle of everything!

Nice view
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking - Allergy Friendly

The inconvenience of the hotel trying to correct an overbooking error on their part. The disgust that I encountered while waiting. The extra phone inquiries that to be made to confirm payment. Windows were not cleaned and there were no toothbrushes nor toothpaste in the room. Had to go to front desk to obtain and then wait again because they didn’t have any available.

Best Anniversary Trip.

Parking rates were high.

The location was great and the staff was top shelf. You need to eat breakfast at the grill at least once. It is worth the money.

Room had been updated and was comfortable and pleasant.

The foyer needs updating, lacks warmth

Room had been updated and was comfortable and pleasant. Good products. Staff helpful and friendly. Great location.

Nice location
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Only 2 lamps were working in the room. There was ice vending machine available but we would have preferred complimentary water bottles as we had kids with us.Lastly average wait time for lifts was almost 10 mins which was frustating when you come all exhausted after sightseeing.

Nice location, friendly staff,decent rooms

Valet employees will steal from your car
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Used the valet for the weekend during our stay. Get into the car and started driving, we were on a toll road and needed change. Open the console where I had roughly 20 bucks in change only to find it all missing. Very disappointed with this. One thing I can’t stand are thieves. For that reason, I gave you a one star. I tipped 5 bucks when I arrived a 5 bucks when I left. Good cash for just parking my car, on top of the $180 just to park my car for the weekend. I will never stay at this hotel again and I will also be contacting the hotel corporate office to voice my disappointment.

Not the valet

Clean rooms.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Parking is charged by the hour. It’s very expensive if you bring your car. Uber/Lyft is fast and convenient. Pool is small 3-4ft only. pool is great for children

Clean rooms. professional nice staff. Hotel overall is nice. Great location downtown next to shopping mall, many restaurants and etc. bar/restaurant lobby of hotel.

The location is amazing!

The parking at the hotel was very expensive, Also the breakfast is buffet style and an additional charge it would have been nice for some continental breakfast.

The location is amazing! Very close to many things. There is a lot of parking nearby.

Hilton's are always a hit!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Great location for all the sights! So many great places to eat in this area. Navy Pier is within walking distance, and the water front. Great way to spend the day!

Great food & shopping within walking distance, would stay here again.

The Valet Parking downtown is way to expensive, not just at this hotel but everywhere. I feel if you’re actually staying in the hotel for a multiple night stay you should be given a discounted rate.

Weber Grill restaurant was excellent, good food and service!!

Simply awesome

Housekeeping comes too early/don't know if we're new check-ins or not

Beds were cozy, hot tub and pool were a nice bonus! Staff friendly; nice location to everything we wanted to do. Free wifi:)

Good

Price was a little high due to AACR.

This hotel was booked for my friend family. They were satisfied with this hotel. All steps were kind and they always had efforts to give helps.

Generally pretty good,

The fridge froze everything, there were obviously 2 people in the room (2 on the reservation) yet we only had 1 regular coffee and had to request it EVERY day. The water made hair feel crummy.

The cleanliness was great, nice to have fridge bed was comfy!

Disappointed with the cleanliness of the bed and room. Loved the location.

When we arrived in the room, the bed had a massive amount of hair on both beds. Under every sheet as if it was just remade after the previous customer left without being removed. The housekeeping manager sent us a bowl of fruit and wine, but I must say that I was on guard all day and night for cleanliness issues which I found as well in the bathroom (floor and sink) and bath tub. It was really unfortunate and disgusting. They apologized but it will definitely be my last stay ever.

The location was awesome. The staff was friendly except of one front desk associate. The access to the Weber Grill downstairs was great as well. The view we had was also a plus for the kids.

Wonderful! Will stay again

When we walked in to check in, there was only one person behind the counter and we had to wait in a long line which took 30 mins to check in, very inconvient.

The room was amazing, open airy, awesome view of the city. The bathrooms were very clean and beds super comfy.

The property was perfectly located, within walking distance to everything.

Service at the restaurant was ok, the waiters were very friendly, but slow (may be a staffing issue) extremely slow clearing the table and refilling coffee.

The food at the restaurant was very good. The breakfast buffet was great. Lots of options. Dinner @ Webers was awesome. Ribs to die for. Happy Hour was great with well pricing appies and drinks.

Great place

The only thing I could say that I didn't like was the size of the pool

Being right downtown within walking distance to almost everything n had a pool for my family

The hotel itself was nice though! Very convenient to get around if you are just exploring downtown!

It says that the parking should be complimentary to our stay at Hilton on booking.com, which was part of the reason why we booked it. However, when we got to the hotel, we found out that there is nothing but self-serve public parking and valet parking, both of them were quite pricy. We had to pay $49 usd each day for the four nights we were there. We asked the front desk, he did not try to solve the problem or compensate it. He only said a very general (and helpless) apology which made my friend and I wonder if Hilton was trying to scam us with the overnight parking fee.

The location of the hotel was really convenient, heart of downtown Chicago and easy to get around by foot

Breakfast was good.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Larger room. After speaking with the front desk about the size of our room they told me we had one of the larger 2 queen rooms on the floor. We checked the floor plan (you can find it on the app) and we had the smallest room on the floor. You couldn’t open the bathroom door and the closet at the same time!! Comforters were not impressive and neither were the pillows. I expected better. Pricing for the room went down on the day we checked in. I attempted to get our rate lowered but that didn’t happen.

Breakfast was good. The woman cleaning our room was wonderful!!

I would not stay at this hotel if you only have a debit card.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access

I would not stay at this hotel if you only have a debit card. They put a hold on your card which is $50 for each night of your stay which can get pricey. So do not stay here if you only have a debit card. You get the money back within five days of check out but it does take away spending money.

We weren’t there long enough to enjoy the pool or spa, but we did get a peek at it.

Because the dresser was too far from the wall and the bed also could have been closer to the opposite wall, more than one of us banged our shins, knees and toes on the end of the bed. It happened multiple times to two of us.

Location was excellent as our daughter lives near the red line train in Wrigleyville and attends NWU in the Loop and the red line entrance/exit is at the southwest corner of the hotel.

Little more professionalism

I had a pretty rude person who was taking care of the coffee. Everything was out, and instead of saying he'd correct it, he decided to use heavy profanity to describe the person that was suppose to do it. I mentioned it to the manager at the front desk, and although she was apologetic to my circumstance, she offered "he's usually good at knowing who he can talk with like that". Not the response I was expecting and I do know someone within the executive ranks of the company which made her comment that much funnier. I didn't mention that either, but pretty bummed by the professionalism.

I like the beds and overall feel of the hotel

I felt it was in a great location, and staff were wonderful.

There was not a single thing I did not like.

The staff were as excited as my 5 year old son was about his toys he picked out on Navy Pier. They smiled and got just as excited with him! They were amazing!

Not impressed
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access

Loud nieghbors thru stay asked for a extra blanket cuz heat wasn’t properly working was forgotten about n vallet didn’t know where my keys to vehicle were it wasn’t noted down

Expensive parking
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access

No free parking nearby, parking is not included in the room rate. Be prepared to pay an additional $49 just to park your car overnight.

The staff was nice. The facilities were very clean. Decent location downtown..

Fine, bed/elevator sucked
    • King Room with City View

The bed was incredibly uncomfortable, it was surprising. We stayed on the 22nd floor and the elevator doesn't prioritize. For example we walked into the lobby and got on the elevator after a long eventful day, it went up to floor 18, stopped people entered then stopped at every floor until it reached the bottom. Once there it began to go up/down again. It took us 15 minutes just to get to our room. I've stayed at over a dozen hotels in the area and this has never been a problem. It was unfortunate.

The location is awesome, literally couldn't be in a better spot. Being attached to PF Chang was a great perk, the food was amazing and the atmosphere was breathe taking. The staff was friendly enough and would promptly answer questions and provide solutions. P.S. Having a microwave/fridge in your room is a MUST after this experience, it was so nice and convenient.

Great Location!

LOCATION!! Centrally situated - easy walking distance to Downtown shops and places of interest. Reception staff were very helpful, assisting us with our forays into the local area. The large foyer had plenty of seating and several computers.

Super friendly staff! Very clean hotel! Would definitely stay here again :)

The only disappointing part of our stay was the fact that I solely based this hotel on 2 things.... 1) location 2) the fact that it had a hot tub.... unfortunately, all 3 nights we stayed, the hot tub was lukewarm at best. So disappointing, especially after walking 14 miles in one day and just wanting to relax in a nice relaxing hot tub.

Overall this hotel was amazing! The staff was super friendly and the beds and pillows were like sleeping on a super comfy cloud!!

Clean, great location, disappointing pool.

We chose this hotel for 3 reasons: price, location, and indoor pool for our kids. The pool was so tiny and so crowded, we were never able to get in. Even the hot tub was packed with kids. The web site photos are very deceiving. Only 1 or 2 families can fit in that pool.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and in a great location for Chicago tourists.

Just ok.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking - Allergy Friendly

It cost us $49 for the parking garage attached to the hotel for less than 24 hours. The hotel should offer a discount for the parking garage. The pillows were awful. Room was very small. Didn't even have room for our stroller. The staff was not helpful at all when asked about the bus station. There were no trash bags in the room trashcans.

Reggie our baggage person was wonderful.

Our short baggage guy. our room was noisy with traffic, I asked for room away from ice maker and elevator and ended up next to both. poo; was very cold and hot tub was closed 2 times I wanted to use it. At night the pool was like a crazy boys party with yelling screaming, ball throwing splashing and complete chaos. Not control over the people at all. we (meaning several families who left the pool area after walking in) called the front desk but nothing was done about it. we went back every 40 minutes until 10: 20 pm and it was still crazy loud and way out of control. No one helped at all.

Reggie our baggage person was wonderful. Happy, helpful, had awesome suggestions, and treated us like he had known us forever. Second luggage man was not helpful, couldn't find our luggage, walked around with tips in his hand and followed me until I tipped him after he couldn't find our luggage. Something is wrong with that guy.

I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

WiFi kept kicking me out. Waited 10 min for elevator and finally took the stairs from the 22nd floor. Received an email about an upgraded room, I clicked yes for the upgrade. I was told at check in the room would be available on tue. When I checked Tue they said it wasn’t available.

Would definitely stay there again. View from room.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

I wish the air conditioning was easy to adjust.

Staff upon arrival were helpful and professionally trained and friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Near restaurants and shops.

I love it’s around a lot of places in the city so many...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Wasn’t expecting the pool to be 3-4ft. In pictures they advertised it so well then seeing it now .. it’s just like never again..

I love it’s around a lot of places in the city so many stores is walking distance

Great location, good service, good value for money

I was surprised to find out that I had to leave a $50 security deposit PER NIGHT, which increased the price of my stay.

The front desk staff was great: everyone was really polite, patient, and helpful. They really made me feel special and welcome. They addressed all of my requests immediately. The engineer seemed a bit grumpy and impatient but he did fix the problem I reported. Although there are three elevators for guests, it took them a long time to come around, either to go up or to come down. The room was very good size, clean, and comfortable. The bed and pillows were great. I loved the location of the hotel - it is right next to an El train station so it was easy to move around. There are many landmarks within walking distance, as well as restaurants, pubs, convenience stores, and even a Blues place.

Nice room, great location.

The only very minor thing I would change is to have a real mug for coffee in the room, instead of the paper cups. It would be nice to have real drinking glasses for water too, but other than that very minor thing the room was great. And the staff were all warm, friendly, and very efficient.

Our stay in Chicago was mainly to visit the Art Institute of Chicago. The hotel was a bit of a hike (approximately 1 mile away), but we don't mind walking in Chicago. There were many nice restaurants close by, and the parking was very convenient. It is very close to the theaters too.

For the price I am disappointed. Pool too cold. Hot tub not hot at all. The sink stopper was broke

Pool too cold. Hot tub not hot at all. The sink stopper was broken so we had to put something in it just to drain water. Took a very long time to get any hot water in our room, started our stay with a partial roll of toilet paper and had to call for more.

The staff was very friendly and helpful didn’t mind helping...

The price was great they had a pool and the location was also great.

The staff was very friendly and helpful didn’t mind helping with directions or anything we asked for

Great hotel! Center of everything

The only improvement that could be made is the elevators are very slow, and only 2 of the 3 were working. Very expensive for parking as well, but that is to be expected in the city.

Great location, friendly staff, super clean!

Beds were not comfy at all and the internet is awful.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Beds were not comfy at all and the internet is awful. It drops every few minutes. the hot tub was freezing so we only swam for 15 minutes the whole trip which the kids were really disappointed in

It was a nice getaway.

The mattress was terrible. It wasn't too hard or too soft it was eh. The pillows were too soft and you fell into them. No cushion/support at all.

We were in walking distance of everything good. Food, shopping, etc.

We had a great time in the Windy City.

We weren’t aware that there wasn’t a continental breakfast. But that could have been our fault. Not reading all the information.

We didn’t use the restaurant

I loved it, will definitely stay again

The restaurants, every single one of my orders was wrong.

The staff was amazing, I couldn’t figure out how to work my shower. 😂🤦🏽‍♀️ And a nice lady helped me and when I locked myself out my room trying to ask her the question lol.

Overall it’s was a good stay!

The pool area was definitely in need of being cleaned!! We stayed from Saturday till Monday and the same old/food and other filth was there all weekend long 😝

The front desk woman were very pleasant and speedy to check us in and also during checkout.

Good hotel, slight revamps may be needed?

What kept me from giving this hotel full stars or, (using booking.com's method, all smiley faces), was the general up keep. The sheets were kind of nasty. Perhaps they were cleaned but stained. We have a habit of opening the covers, lifting the mattress, and checking for..um..things. We saw a lot of particles on the bed but we brushed them off the bed, dismissing them as laundry lint. My daughter did find hair on her bed. The heating/air machine had garbage in it when we lifted the lid. The reason we were lifting the lid was to find a way to adjust the blower/vent as the air was blowing directly on my face all night. There was no adjustment and it was a smidge loud. This may be a personal issue, not the hotel's, however, the heating/ac machine does look a little old, perhaps its time to replace them. That and the carpet could be the reason we didn't sense that fresh feeling in the air one feels when entering an immaculate hotel room.

We've been here before. Based on our last visit, we came again, but a decade later. The staff was very friendly. The location was great. Overall a good hotel.

Location was great.

Room didn’t appear to be cleaned beyond bed making. There were used utensils on the floor. There was makeup smeared on one of the bed spreads. In room coffee maker was dated and needed to be replaced.

Location was great. Staff was courteous.

Ok hotel, service could be better
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Pool and hot tub weren't clean, check in took forever, even if were the only one who checked in, checking out was the same, fee for parking were added to our bill even if don't have a car, paying in cash was much an effort

Good location, spacious rooms, koffee in the lobby in the morning

Disappointed stay, and nothing resolved.

The hot tub was cold the entire time. They did nothing, it was false advertising, I stayed there BC of the hot tub being there. I should have stayed somewhere else. Very unhappy. This was my first time in Chicago, and the cold hot tub was terrible. There was also a man yelling yes daddy down a few rooms. Not good for my 11 year old to hear. Also, Hair dryer sparked and was smoking.

The location was in chicago.

Great staff! They knew we have small kids so they gave us breakfast vouchers

Elevators!! There were only 2 elevators working and with it being st Patrick’s weekend, the hotel was packed!

Get more elevators working. It takes us more than 10 each time waiting for the elevators to work

Great place to stay for a weekend getaway

I had several issue with charges on my card and incorrect charge for our stay. I had to call this place several times plus at the desk. They were very helpful but it took several times to get corrected. They kept blaming the computer.

This place is centrally located. Many places in walking distance. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable. We enjoy a late night drink at Weber each night. Staff was friendly

Awesome value, convenient location.

Room was a little dated, but was clean and had no real complaints for the price.

Location was awesome. Really close to public transportation. Convenient and easy to get anywhere in the city.

It was a cold weekend.

It was a cold weekend. The heating unit cam on and off sometimes sending cool air in the room. May time I had to reset the nit to 75 because the room was cold. Also the pillows had no firmness whatsoever. They were way too thin

I booked a room through booking.
    • King Room with City View

I booked a room through booking.com . I booked a king size bed with a city view. I checked in paid for the room. I went to the room opened the door and stated to my wife that this is not what I reserved. (2 queen size beds and a view of the building next door). I went back to the desk the manager stated that because I booked through a 3rd party I was not guaranteed the room that I picked. The first desk person who check me in did not mention anything about the room change . The manager stated there was nothing she could do.

The fact you wanna charge for a bottle of water.

The fact you wanna charge for a bottle of water. The staff at checkout didn’t activate my room cards I had to come back down after carrying my bags up to get it activated while my partner waited in the hallway. Also she didn’t have my card attached to the right room .

Really bad customer service. I was charged $14.00 extra after check out. Had a really hard time to find out why. Basically the guy that checked me out gave me the wrong total and never sent me a receipt. Probably because he made a mistake. Not really impressed with the property for the price. Elevators take for ever and pool and gym super small. He have to go up 12 floor or more just to get to the rooms.

It was OK. I paid for city view but had a view of apartment building.

Front desk is rude and unprofessional. She was on her phone when we got there and didn’t even acknowledged us until she was done texting.

Room is clean

Location: I love that the hotel was close to everything that...

Location: I love that the hotel was close to everything that we planned to get to. It's so close to the train as well. Value: We got a really good deal in booking the property for the weekend. Less than $100 per night which is reaaaally reasonable for Chicago. Facilities: The bathrooms were clean. Love the bed! So comfy! Happy to get free wi-fi too. Gym did not have a lot of equipment but only used it once so no biggie. Staff: Friendly and great service. I requested late check out and they were able to accommodate us.

The convenience of the location ,Ice machine on every floor,...
    • King Room with City View

broken Keurig, & cleanliness in our room such as dirty towels,pillows cases, & stain on the headboard

The convenience of the location ,Ice machine on every floor, love the restaurant Weber grill. Despite a few problems when we checked in the first day the Front Office Manager Samantha and her assisted Reggie went above and beyond the following day to rectify the situation which made it more pleasant for the remainder of our stay. The manager comp. the room for the first night since the staff didn't offer to move us the night before. Also we received a complimentary breakfast at the Weber Grill for our troubles. I would say that the Front Office Manager handled everything very professionally in the way they handled the situation wish more Hotel staff members were like this in the industry.

I would for sure choose this location again for a short stay in Chicago.

When I tried to search walking directions from the hotel, nothing was available. Also, the Wifi didn’t work the greatest.

The location of the hotel to the train station and the Magnificent Mile made getting from place to,place extremely easy. Walk right out the front door and turn right and walk about 10 steps to access the train at Grand terminal.

Bed mattress was nice but again the edge frame of the bed was pretty rough to keep running into it.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

The bed frame was to big for the mattress. We kept hitting our feet and leg on the edge frame of the bed which left a few bruises. That got to be corrected asap.

The Bed slept nice.