Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea 3 stars

121 West 28th Street, Chelsea, New York, NY 10001, USA

#207 of 415 hotels in New York

Really no complaints other than some challenges finding room on an elevator to take our luggage down on the morning we departed.

Loved that the room was clean, beds were comfortable, and that it had a fridge & microwave, which was convenient for us since we were traveling with kids. Staff was very friendly & helpful and made sure the extra hangers we requested were in our room shortly after check-in. Great location close to subway.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Roll In Shower

The bathroom shower drainage was a bit slow.

The room was spacious and comfortable, pillows were super soft. Location is really accessible, 10 minutes walk to Macy's and 15-20 minutes walk to Times Square.

Would like to have had a soft comfortable chair for my husband to sleep in for is back trouble he can not always sleep in the bed flat.

It was great nothing we did not like.

Design-wise, the rooms could use a refresh soon. Fitness center is pretty small, but that's New York.

Comfortable bed. It was really nice to have 2 queens in the room instead of 2 doubles. That was the deciding factor for us.

Hotel is located very neear to the centre of New York, you can easily walk to the empire, times Square and theather district. Our room (with king size bed) was really clean and comfortable, the fridge and the coffee machine resulted really useful during our stay. Moreover, Staff was really kind with us. The price of the room was also ok considering the average in New York

View from the room wasn't particularly good, but we weren't in the room that often.

This was my 3rd stay at The Hilton Garden Inn, and as expected it didn't disappoint. Staff were very friendly, especially the gentlemen who organised the luggage. Whilst a little pricey for the standard of accommodation, what keeps me coming back is its location! Main tourist areas are within minutes, with Madison Square Garden just around the corner.

All was good.

The location is the best for walking to many places. The front desk staff and lobby staff were welcoming. Room temperature was easy to regulate. The bed was so comfy.

Everything was perfect.

I liked everything. The hotel was great, the staff were very nice, specially ODI, she was really nice, supportive and gentle all the time. Thank you ODI for all your attention and care.

Almost everything was perfect, but the inconsistent cooling and heating of the room made for a very uncomfortable sleeping situation. I did not get more than 3 hours ( and interrupted, at that) of sleep, because room was either way too hot or too cold. Housekeeping brought me an extra blanket ,thank goodness. Not sure if it's your system or that my thermostat in my room was broken.

Too much construction around (not their fault though). No safe in the room. Breakfast is monotonous same menu daily, they only offer breakfast, don't have on site restaurant, room was not cleaned properly and when i complained was given chocolate and two small bottles water which by the way is never given to clients unless one is a Hilton Honors member. Doormen choose who to carry luggage for. Damp corridors and very noisy heater. Doors bang throughout the night and walls are not soundproof.

They changed my mattress when I complained the first night i slept on a very hard one. Room was at a vantage point and brought in warmth and sunshine in the cold New York weather.

Twice my key card did not work . My room was not cleaned the last Day, made me feel unwelcome. Like I should have checked out already.

Locatie. Room wassen spacious.

Doors could do with adhesive pads to soften the slam and vibrations when the door next to us was closed our, wall on the bed head vibrated would also suggest that th ice maker be relocated very noisy when used in the middle of the night.

Loved the welcoming staff and the way they look after their guests, nothing was too.much trouble. trouble. The location was great.... just steps to everything. Well done Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea,Manhattan!

Unfortunately there were some major building works being undertaken at the time of our visit which disturbed our sleep on the first night. Thankfully there was no noise on the second night although the whole street was dirty and dusty and we would not have chosen to stay in this location had we known. Not the hotels fault.

The hotel was good value for money considering the location, and was central for seeing all the sights of New York. The room was good and the beds comfortable, we liked the addition of a coffee machine.

Wish they had room service for breakfast. Also, pantry prices were a little pricey even for a convenience option.

The bed was very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and always said hi or bye and have a nice day. The dining staff for breakfast was especially friendly. Overall everything was good.

Our room was not made one day. We sometimes found some hair that didn't belong to us on the bed after it was made. There is no safe inside the room, a safe is available at the reception but it was not handy,and was not big enough to hold my laptop, I had to store it seperatly at the reception. The 50$ deposit was charged twice on my card, they guaranteed the system would refund both the deposits but i haven't received anything yet 3 days after check out. The fridge made some noise and it kept me from resting well on the first night, afterwards I got used to it. The room could do with a little refreshing, it looked a little old.

The location is absolutely perfect. Only three blocs to Penn Station and a few extra blocks to Times Square, yet down enough to enjoy a calmer vibe. The portion of the 28th street on which the hotel is located is packed with flower shops, it is enjoyable when you walk out in the morning. A subway station is at the end of the street, 1 minute away from the hotel. There is a 24/7 (except on weekends !!) walgreens at the end of the street, and you'll find some of nyc's best foods all around the area. Staff was always happy to help, they were efficient and made everything run smoothly. Room was just what we expected, having a micro wave and a fridge is a plus especially when you have extra food from restaurants as a tourist. Plenty of storage space which is excellent. The bed was very soft. It was OK for us but I don't think it would've been comfortable for a longer stay than the small week we had. Cookies were available at the reception in the afternoon, we only had them once and they were good, nice touch. Overall value for money is very good ! I warmly recommend this hotel.

Parking

Excellent location near the fashion district. Tons of shopping in walking distance. Staff was excellent and very helpful. Love it so much we stayed an extra night!

The building is tall but narrow making some of the hallways a little tight but room was still plenty spacious with nice size bathroom.

The bed was very comfortable, easy and quick check in. The staff were friendly and helped us find local restaurants to eat. Coffee/Tea was always available when you walked in. This was a nice bonus since we stayed in the winter and it was only about 10 degrees that day.

Excellent hotel in the center of the MidTown. Area of ​​Chelsea. At the center of all events. All in walking distance. The hotel is all clean, comfortable. The rooms are clean, everything you need. There is a microwave. For New York, an excellent option and room size. VERY convenient location. Excellent offer for the price was on our vacation in January 2018.

The housekeeping staff reported that the check out time was 11:00 am when actually it was 12:00 pm. However staff at the front desk did appologized for the incorrect information.

The location was great and the staff were friendly

Only thing I didn’t like was breakfast wasn’t free.. I’m not used to paying over a hundred dollars for a room and not have free breakfast

Every thing was great..

See my above comment. 5 night's stay and not even a comp breakfast. Sad.

Given that I was there for 5 nights it would have been nice if I was comped breakfast. I had to pay someone $2 just to get a donut on one occasion. I paid close to $800 for my stay and I had to pay extra to get a cookie or bowl of oatmeal? Give me a break. Is Hilton that hard up?

The heater was very noisy and not very effective. The walls were thin and on 1 evening my neighbours kept disturbing my nights sleep with their noise. The rooms decor & furnishings were dated and the room has no safe.

The location was excellent, rooms were clean & comfortable

It has everything I was looking for, central location, subway near, quiet & confortable place, refrigerator, microwave, fitness center. Also highlight the kindness and attention of all the staff, especially the reception girls. Also remark that is quiet Hotel due the tranquility of the street where is located.

Very well situated in Manhattan’s center. Very very close to Madison Square Garden-Penn Station, Empire State Building, Flatiron building.... the subway is at aprox 150m from the Hotel. Little beyond there is Bryant Park, Times Square, etc.

I asked for bed to be made up as twin as I was travelling with adult son - requested this twice before travelling but had to ask for extra bedding on arrival as request had been ignored.

Great location and staff were friendly and helpful. Room was a good size but a little drab. Coffee machine is a nice touch and microwave, but no plates or cutlery supplied so limited use really. Room was warm but heater was noisy. Overall good for the money and in an excellent location - I would stay there again.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

very clean rooms and staff was very friendly. They offer at the hotel lobby free hot drinks during the day and delicious cakes in the afternoon. very nice!!

See above.

Upon arrival the woman at the check in was about as rude, angry, rushed, and obnoxious as anyone I’ve ever met. The reception I received was about as off putting as one could imagine and it tainted my whole opinion . The bell man fortunately was great as were the cleaning crews and other desk help. The elevator was out of service and the one remaining one was thus over burdened and slow. The bed was like cement and the pillows were like wet toilet paper. Having said that at the price point we paid would definitely stay again but would never pay more,

Apparently there is no service elevator and staff frequently block one or both of the two elevators for their work. Waited 10-15 min (I timed it) for an elevator on the 17th floor. Far too long.

Elevators should be key card operated to keep guests feeling really safe.

Comfy beds, great shower, wasn’t a cramped room, staff were ALL friendly & awesome PLUS free cookies, coffee and hot chocolate daily! Sweet touch!

The hotel was in a great location. I was attending a sporting event at Madison Square Garden, so it was within walking distance. Also very close to 34th Street with a lot of shopping. The size of the rooms were really nice for NYC.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Our stay was great. No complaints.

The room was comfortable, clean, and well-maintained. The staff was very friendly and we were always greeted with a smile and "Welcome back!" whenever we returned to the hotel. Fresh Starbucks coffee and hot tea in the lobby with a cozy sitting area. My son liked the fitness room and the business office. The location was central to shopping, restaurants, and transportation was very close! Would definitely stay here again!

At times it could be noisy - hotel staff said that should be sorted out soon.

The location is the best! Subway is located at the corner which is very convenient. Great for shopping and sightseeing.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Ideal location- near Penn Station and 2 subway stops. Clean rooms, slightly larger than most NY hotel rooms in this range. Have stayed here 3-4 times over the past 4 years and have never had an issue.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The only thing we didn't like was that the price quoted by you wasn't the total we paid as nearly three hundred dollars were added on for taxes.. We would have preferred to know the bottom line cost in your quotation

The beds were extra comfortable and staff very nice

my credit card was charged of something that didn't show on the paper receipt. This is not tax because that's already charged. So I ended up paying more than the booking price. I asked the hotel and booking.com about it and never got an answer.

stay in NYC frequently and definitely not return to this hotel because of accessibility to areas i frequent and comparison to others i have stayed in. Great staff from in the restaurant hostess/waitress to amazing and helpful front desk and a bellman named Mikhael who went the extra mile. They were outstanding.

One day our room wasn't serviced and it took some time to get someone to bring up supplies.

Loved the location... being surrounded by trees and flowers thanks to being in the heart of the flower district. Everything is easily accessible - two subway lines, Penn St, Madison Sq Garden, Chelsea Markets, Highline. Easy walk to cafes and delis for breakfast and Mykonos Blue in a nearby hotel is excellent at the rooftop for a light dinner and fantastic city skyline view. Hotel is small but very welcoming. The staff at the desk are always polite, professional and I love that special touch of the cookies at the desk when you return at the end of a trip around NY and the free coffee and tea at reception and in our room. Hotel and rooms are clean, nice and modern and included amenities which were always handy. Love the block out blinds and it was relatively quiet despite being in the heart of the city. Happy to return and recommend this little gem!

I guest I wish rooms where nicer and maybe more options within the hotel, is a small property and they only have a few things in the to-go store and no ice machine.

Hotel is pretty, is small and not too many amenities. Rooms where clean, not the nicest room but pretty comfortable.. Location is GOLD, I loved it. Is between 6th and 7th avenue and we literaly walked everywhere. We walked to a from koreatown and 5th avenue, you can even walk to and from times square (20 blocks) and empire state is so close.. The location is sooooo worth it, if you want to be in the city and be close to everything this is the hotel that I recommend.

This was poor value for the money. The bed was uncomfortable- the sheets were scratchy- not soft at all. The rooms need updating- looks like 1970 here. I can't recommend this property.

The valet parking was good.

I left a bracelet in my purse, inside the bedroom closet and when I came back at the end of the day they had STOLEN! I asked at the front desk but they told that they didn´t "find"

The location is good, very close to the Empire State Building and a subway station.

• King Room with City View

The complimentary internet is very slow - Better off spending money and getting the high speed internet. I requested for late check-out (around 2) as per genius rewards. Never heard back and had to check out at 12 30!

Good location (very close to empire state building and chelsea market), Nice staff and a good quiet room with a very nice view (22nd floor). If you're staying here, try to get a room on a high floor. Try the breakfast as well. It is really good!

small room, was very cold every time we got back in the evening - probably the cleaning lady set the AC which we turned off on purpose

nice smell from the flower shops on the street

• King Room with City View

The only drawback would be a drawback with any hotel resume and that is the nice little sitting area in front of the hotels on the sidewalk is typically occupied by people of been on cigarettes. It was so nice to sit out there when there was no cigarette smoke and enjoy the people passing on the sidewalk and the open sky.

What I will remember about this hotel years after I have forgotten everything else was the warmth and kindness shown by Rosa and housekeeping and Robinson the doorman. Everyone was very nice at this hotel but these two people took special pains to make us feel welcome and asked me every Day about the health of my wife who was in the hospital. Can't say enough about these two people!

NYC construction on West 28th Street... BUT you have no control so.. nothing! Keep up,the good work and keep smiling!

The entire staff kept a smile on OUR face during our entire stay! From the fine young man greeting us at the door to the courteous young lady at the front desk they made us feel welcome. Construction on West 28th street was everywhere but inside the Hilton Garden Inn... well... it was a perfect garden. We both agreed that the bed and pillows were the most comfortable we have ever had. Quality, comfort and value, isn't that what we ALL are looking for? The Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea -Manhatten was everything we needed.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

I did not like the stuff very aggressive in answering and replying any question Some of them in front office . Wi if is out of order always I asked for a luggage room to put my bags the front office was very aggressive in replying In check in I get to my room late one hour without any reason .

One of the most well equipped rooms compared to new york city hotels with a microwave,coffee/tea maker and mini-fridge. They offer at the hotel lobby free hot drinks during the day and delicious cakes in the afternoon.The wifi in the room and lobby was excellent.

The location of this hotel is perfect for exploring the streets of Chelsea. There are so many wonderful restaurants in the neighborhood. The staff at the front desk were especially helpful making recommendations for restaurants and providing us with directions and accurate distance to determine walking possibilities. The housekeeping staff was also very thoughful and took good care of us for the long weekend during our visit.

The breakfast was pretty expensive at $18/person per day, given that it's a normal hotel continental-style breakfast. It was cheaper for us to eat at a proper restaurant/cafe, for better food.

The room was spacious and clean. Unlike most other hotels we saw, our room had a mini fridge, which was a must for us. The staff was extremely friendly and professional.

The location is central, easy access to NYC attractions. The street is a florist stockist area so it's really lovely. We can see beds of flowers from our room window esp in the mornings. The garden in front of the hotel is lovely for relaxing.

Coffee is only available in the lobby during breakfast, which was unlike other Hilton Garden Inns I have stayed at.

The staff is spectacular, very friendly and helpful.

Noisy air conditioning made it hard to sleep and sometimes noisy outside at night -the street is literally a flower market which adds character but deliveries start very early.

Room clean and modern, comfortable bed. Bathroom amenities excellent. Very central location. Close to the subway going Uptown or to Battery Park and also very close to many delicatessens/quick food places - would recommend Pret a Manger for good quality breakfast/lunch food (only 1 and half blocks away). Walking distance to the High Line, Times square, Broadway, 5th Avenue and Madison gardens and much more.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Roll In Shower

The room was small for the furniture. The air conditioning machine was neat to one of the beds The bathroom was a bit dark. The shower should be improved. Wireless internet connection was poor.

The location was very good

the room at the second floor, there was too much rumor of the generator on the roof that was in front of my window. But they change me from room after my request.

I didn't like the hotel did not provide transportation to and from the airport.

The bed could have been more fluffy, I needed more space to walk around the room.

It's just not very modern. But it was very clean. The staff is what is really exceptional at this hotel.

I have stayed at this property quite a few times. I am a Hilton honors membet I prefer the Hilton Garden on 35th St. and some of the more updated Hampton Inn properties in Midtown in terms of room size and more updated accommodations but this Hilton garden is fine because it's located quite near my office

The staff didn't give us too much information upon check-in, and only after 4 days I found out that there is a complimentary coffee to go in the morning. A bit noisy from the street but its Manhattan The bed sinks in

Stayed here for 8 nights, great location close to the metro and buses but not in the middle of all the hustle. Lovely staff at the front desk, also supplied a crib for the baby. The room is big and clean, there is also a coffee maker, the bed is soft but sinks in...

That they had given away one of my rooms that I had reserved together. I had called 3x within the months,one being the night before to make sure they knew we were coming in super late and not to think we weren't coming in. However,they did try to fix problem by trying to separate my party and send them to another Hilton and few streets away. However this was my sister's first time in NYC and was not going to send by herself at 2:00/2:30am .We decided to stay together all in one room my husband has to sleep on the floor the first night they said they had no rooms available and no rollaway beds. They said it would be fixed first thing in the morning and my sister room would not be charged for the first night. They stated that since I put her name as staying in other room it was over looked that we were together ,but I reserved the rooms myself with just one card and I only had one reservation number. We are all human and make mistakes it was just hard the first night. However, they were every nice about it and did try to give us a room that night but didnt want to separate party. They did remove first night stay and gave us breakfast everyday we stayed and room was given later the next day. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

The location of hotel made it easy to walk or take the subway.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

The cleanliness of room was not up to the mark. bed linens were not clean; i got rashes on my back and face. The AC vent was really dirty. and the floor carpet felt dirty. Overall, not a great experience. Won't book this property again.

I did not have much of a view (I was on 4th floor) but it was a very quiet room and I'll take that over view when in NYC.

The Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea is in a great area of NYC. I stayed there as it was close to my daughter's apartment. I was very happy with THGI - Chelsea's location, property and amenities.

can be congested in front of hotel since it is adjacent to two other hotels

location is great with plenty of places to eat nearby. It has in room microwave and refridgerators.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

the beds are very uncomfortable. We couldn't sleep. The sheets are polyester and the comforter slipped all night. The bathroom was very outdated. the A/C was very loud and blasted air and we all got a headache

this property is in need of total renovation, top to bottom.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

We would have liked breakfast in the room and something other than buffet. We did not eat breakfast at hotel.

Staff friendly and very helpful. Always got what we asked for, coffee, pillows, etc.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The carpets are old so there is a musty smell & some times very small bugs may be present which tend to cause irritation

The location is good , the rooms were comfortable & clean

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

No complimentary breakfast or am room service

Staff fabulous! Cookies fabulous. Bed fabulous! So, so pleased with the property! Would def choose again!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

The staff made you feel welcome all the time. We felt the bed was a bit soft,but other than that no complaints. Little walk to Empire State building,Times square ,hop on hop off bus close. What else could you ask for.Right in Garden District flowers greet you and n morning coming out of Hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

There was no bottled water in the room - that would have been a welcome extra. Other than that, everything was good.

Great base for a visit to Manhattan, very central location, close to subway stations (few minutes walk) and Penn station (10 minute walk). Train from JFK to Penn station was convenient, and quicker than driving at rush hour! Hotel was clean and pleasant, if a little dated in terms of decor. Perfectly acceptable though, and our room was tended to by housekeeping each day, despite the amount of luggage etc that was taking up the floor space. All in all, good value for money and I would definitely stay again!

Walls are very thin and noise isolation is almost zero - next to our room a "nice" team enjoyed to slam the doors at 2-3 a.m., all walls were waving. Price of breakfast looks too high, walk a little bit and eat something good on half price. Luckily my bank has security rules so did not allow to the hotel to hold about 70% of booking price in advance... :)

Very good location, near to Madison Square Garden/Penn Station,Empire State Building, few minutes more walking to Times Square. Room size is really enough (king room), in NY you will not spend your time there. Everyday cleaning with new towels and toiletries.

One bed was lopsided; bedding smelled disgusting; tub was dirty. Pictures made room appear that it would be bigger than what we were in. Would not come back and would not recommend.

Staff was really friendly.

Might want to check the coffee maker in this particular room; sometimes had harder time than others getting it to come on, but it always did eventually.

Didn't have eggs...lol. The beds were extremely comfortable and the staff phenomenal!

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Horrible hotel. They took three times the money from my account and it took two weeks to solve the problem. When it happened, the woman at the reception didn't want to believe me and was talking to me as I was the most stupid person. I'm usually not very demanding but seriously, the service was crappy as well.

The beds were a little uncomfortable, perhaps need updating. Room a little small for 4 people.

Good location, good service & loved the convenience of food places around & the hotel bar.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with City View

Our room was generous and well appointed and had a wonderful view (23 floor); In the nearby vicinity of the hotel are many subway lines, a lot also in walking distance - very good location! Restaurants, bars, cafes nearby. Staff extremely friendly and helpful!

closest famous tourist attraction are a few blocks from the hotel; which is not actually a problem since there are subway stations next to the hotel

very good location (one block from lines R, W and 1) room are quite bigger considering a standard NY hotel kind staff nice (and cheap) lamen restaurant across the street microwave in the room

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Rooms quite dated, tired and worn. Room cleanliness acceptable, but nothing more than that. Bathroom tiles, flooring, grout etc not very clean at all. Air conditioning/heating system unacceptably noisy.

Comfortable bed and good location.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

It was all fine for the hotel category. Maybe it would be good to have a little bit more shampoo in the bathroom..

Nice and confortable. Great location near Manhattan center. Easy access. Good value for money. I loved the street that is full of flowers!

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Although it was a non smoking hotel, someone was smoking on our floor. The smell came into our room very strongly and after telling the front desk they left it until the third request (2 nights later) to move rooms. There was also major issues with the refund of my extra payment- taking 20 days to come through.

The room was spacious and the beds very comfortable. The location is great, very accessible to everything.