Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island 3 stars

1100 South Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA

#5 of 9 hotels in Staten Island

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

The floors in our room weren’t as clean as they should have been.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were so glad to use the shuttle to and from the ferry. The drivers were wonderful especially Frank.

Adequate - it was never intended to be more than a stopover.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible

Chief concern was that at check in the hotel had no record of our booking, despite confirmation and reminder emails from Booking.com to us. It was mere good fortune that there was a room available. Was this a screw up by the hotel or by Booking.com - I'd really like to know.

Dinner was good. Lobby staff friendly.

Room is clean nice staying for 2 days
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We have asked at the loopy , where is the location of the indoor pool and unfortunately the lady at reception surprised us by saying ; we have no pool in the hotel !!!! Although The indoor pool mentioned in hotel’s facility !!!

Room is clean nice staying for 2 days

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Total cost booked online on booking.com was not what I was charged. Was charged more. Bed was very very lumpy, shower water filled tub up to 6 inches of standing water while take shower.

The bed was comfortable and shower was nice.

small vanity top

The bed was comfortable and shower was nice. The only downside was the vanity top of the shower room which was too small. Buffet breakfast was very good which serves hot meals like omelette, french toast, pancake, etc.

Not likely to stay there again.

They have a ball room on top of the hotel and a wedding was going on and we were staying on the 5th floor. The entire room was shaking and the noise was out of control. I called the front desk at one point and they told me the wedding is almost over please just wait it out. Not a acceptable answer. Slamming of doors ny the wait staff at 7 am. I have been staying at this hotel for several years. This was my last time. I will be using other accommodations when I travel to Staten Island in the future.

Beds are comfortable

Good except disappointed pool was closed July 4th!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was really looking forward to taking a swim at the pool! It was a hot July 4th and the pool was closed for maintenance. In fact it was closed the next day too they were doing extensive repairs in the hall right by the pool. That was the reason we booked here so yes very disappointing!

The rooms were nice the bed was extremely comfortable!!

Beware! Not as Advertised!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was not the friendly. Pool was very out dated. The shuttle to the ferry was useless, we were told it was not available due to having weddings and other things going on. So I needed to spend more money, on top of the high price I was already paying, to get transportation. (This was listed as something they offered when I booked the hotel) Also, they tried to charge me $14.95 for breakfast (times 3 - I had my kids with me) even though when I booked my hotel it said breakfast included. I was willing to pay more for the hotel, because of them offering the shuttle to and from the ferry and also having breakfast included, which is more convenient to not have to figure out breakfast each morning before we headed out for the day. And also to get to and from the ferry, making it easy to get into the city. In the end this became an issue and a hassle, and costing me MORE money on top of the almost $200 per night I was already paying. With all the extra time, money and hassle I spent finding a ride and arguing about breakfast, I spent over $300 dollars per night, which is ridiculous. Especially being a Hilton, I expected this experience to be superior to most other hotels. I would have been better off staying at a cheap hotel, paying alot less and then needed to get my own rides, at least they offer a continental breakfast for free. I am very disappointed and will NEVER stay at a Hold on again.

Nothing. Very disappointed!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

On the front desk checked in and there were many people busting her chops probably should have had two people there we waited a long time to check in but we're treated like gentleman we got there even though the people before us we're really nasty

The pool was absolutely fabulous

Disappointed.

Had Business & Friends . Show Great. Started on time. No food .Dinner not served till 9:50. To dark to see & cold. Do we watch show or look for food. Embarrassed In front of business & personnel friends. Dessert given to us as we were handed the bill and the show was over & the room cleared out. Dessert pie & Ice cream fell on me as waiter ran away. He had no one assigned to help him. Dishes not cleared from table. I could go on & on. That's about the show. The room was dirty. Hair in tub. Red fuzz balls on bed sheets. No hot H2O. No tissues in Bathroom. Clock broken on nightstand. Light not activated by arm chair. This was a Disability Room. Etc. Wonder why I'm upset, I'm with Busness Clients & Friends I also recommend and place my clients here. I'm very disappointed.

Hotel staff was extremely professional , helpful and also something Hotel should be proud of. (This is Desk Staff, Housekeeping etc., & especially Management Staff of Restaurant ). Hotel offers Restaurant & Bar if wanted. Owners (Mr. & Mrs. Richard Nicotra ) are visible daily & mingle with Hotel Guests to see that events are meeting their standards when possible.

The entire hotel looked well maintained and perfect.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

The response rate to our request was very slow. It might have been during our stay, since the hotel was crowded due to ongoing wedding and other activities, but still it would have been nice if we did not have to ask again and again for the stuffs.

The entire hotel looked well maintained and perfect. They have this little garden in the hotel backyard which was very beautiful.

Very efficient shuttle service to and from the ferry.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Would have liked extra coffee servings.

Very efficient shuttle service to and from the ferry. Very friendly and accommodating staff at the front desk. Very quiet, comfortable rooms.

Comfy bed and hot shower!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Comfy bed and hot shower!! Fantastic dinner/drinks at Lorenzo's! I was pleasantly surprised at how nice a stay I had during a recent business trip.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and I would definitely stay here again in the near future!

I ordered a cheeseburger from the room service/restaurant and it was a little dry I didn’t really enjoy it too much. And also ordered a ceasar salad the croutons tasted soggy and didn’t really enjoy that either 🙁

I loved the king size bed it was very comfy!

nice,the environment is clean and comfortable, the...
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible/Mobility with Tub

nice,the environment is clean and comfortable, the surrounding area is convenient to filling and eat, and the parking lot is large enough. If possible there's a chance to choose this hotel next time.

Very disappointing!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very crowded all the time during check in, set up of the front desk is not conducive. When I asked for parking pass they said I didn’t need one because parking is not only for paying guest staying there but for people attending events. Every time we came to the parking lot we had a hard time finding a parking spot. Microwave in the room didn’t work right, tv didn’t work right. Also when taking a shower hot water go away . Doors are very loud bathroom door when opened blocked entrance door.

Excellent facility and excellent staff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

At check-in a little confusion but the attendant was new so it is not a big deal.

The rooms were big and the beds were very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and pleasant. The pool was clean and the location was easy to find. I love everything about the Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island..well recommend to my family and friends.

Nice Hotel - will visit again if in the area!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nice hotel - front desk check in was completed quickly. Room was very nice. Sunday morning breakfast - typical hotel brunch fare - food was okay. Should have tried the made to order station! Beds were very comfortable. Plenty of towels but could use some fabric softener.

Sucked
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

The shower was cramped WIFI didn't work most of the time and when it did it was very poor, also it was very difficult to login. Room was small for 3 people You could here the people next door relieving themselves in the bathroom.

Will stay again!!
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

No negative reviews. I can't seem to think of any reason to Not like my stay.

Visually beautiful, clean, and staff is polite. Sadly..had no time to visit the pool! 😁

Loud noise and drug activity. The room close to the one I stayed in had a bunch of loud people in it. Smoking weed and make a lot of noise up and down the hallway.Security was called and the lobby attends was informed. This was totally surprising at a high end hotel. I was not compensated for my troubles and inconvenience. They still charged me full price. I even had to check out earlier then I wanted to to stay in another hotel.

The restaurant inside the hotel was clean. Hotel staff professional

beds were very comfortable, breakfast was good, staff was...

banging of doors by cleaning staff before 8am, front doors were broken so you needed to use the restaurant door and this was not automatic so we found it difficult with bags to get in and out.

beds were very comfortable, breakfast was good, staff was nice.

Great value for the money!

I couldn't say. Overall no complaints!

I was pleasantly surprised as I entered the room, it was beautifully appointed, large and very comfortable. I really like the attention to detail. There was a super big comfy orange chair in the corner by the window that more boyfriend and I loved to sit in so we playfully fought over it.

Convenient.

Coffee was watered down. Waffles were over cooked.

Convenient location off the highway. Plenty of parking. Room was quiet and bed comfortable. Omelet was freshly made.

It was ok!

Booking.com said breakfast would be free when i first viewed the hotel then switched to $14.99 after! For almost $175.00 a night,breakfast should be free. Most other hotels are!

Overall, I would rate my stay at the Staten Island Hilton Garden Inn as fair.

It was rather cold in the conference area where we attended our nursing conference. My wallet was stolen my first day there. When I reported it to the first front desk personnel she did not ask my name and wrote the information down on a piece of scrap paper.

The room and bed were comfortable enough. The server in the dining area was pleasant. One of the front desk persons was very helpful when I told him about my wallet being stolen.

Room was very nice and spacious.

An event was held one night in the lobby and was extremely loud and disturbing. I could hear the event from my room a few floors up.

Room was very nice and spacious.

overall it was a very nice place. Loved the enviroment, Specially the wedding places.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It would have been nice if Breakfast was included like most hotels do. I had to pay $14.95 extra per person for breakfast.

I loved the garden and ballroom. It's beautiful

It was fun, relaxing and beautiful

The front desk was not really welcoming. Because I look young, the lady taught I was 15 years old. And she gave me such a headache to pay. She probably thought I did not have enough money to pay for the 4 nights. I am actually 21, and I ended up using the atm to give her the full amount needed for my stay, plus an extra $200 for accidental. Upon checking out, it was another hustle to refund me my $200 for accidental. I did not appreciate how they judged me by my look.

It's beautiful, it's Clean, the housekeeper are so nice and friendly. The bed is comfortable. I love love the pillows ( really soft). The garden looks great, I took so many pictures. Enough parking space. Not noisy! Great great place.

They didn't make the change to the check out time until...

They didn't make the change to the check out time until the original check out time, even though we called a week before that we changing the check out time.

Airport shuttle was an issue for us

We choose this hotel because it said close proximity to Newark airport as well as Staten Island fairy, plus it had a free airport shuttle. It was not close to either. And, the shuttle is small and very limited. Our flight was delayed and the shuttle would not accommodate us. It cost $35 for a shared Uber. And it was $25 and about 30 mins in an Uber to the fairy. Also, when I called to reserve my shuttle I was told to call back in June. I called back a week earlier just to be sure and they were already full for our return shuttle to the airport.

Keurig and mini fridge in room and nice soap products. Hotel seems to be renovated recently. Rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Overpriced Overrated Understated A Classic Semi - Dump
    • Corner King Suite

AC controls a complete mystery. Paper cups in bathroom & at Coffee bar...REALLY!!! Small towels & not enough of them. (Where are they hiding the real bath towels?) Tiny ice bucket & ice machine a mile away from room. Poor signage in lobby as to where was what.

Not so great

Service was beyond slow both at the bar and in Lorenzo's restaurant. Breakfast buffet for $14.99 was the worst buffet that I have ever had. My husband and I both suffered stomach discomfort throughout the day of our deparure. I asked for hot sauce and the waitress told me she would bring it right over. Never got it. Coffee was cold, as were all of the items on the buffet table. Chef at omelette station had an attitude. Shame on you Hilton.

It was to much noise from downstairs

It was to much noise from downstairs I asked for higher floors but was no cooperation even I requested on my reservation My room was facing ugly views I mentioned that for bride and groom But was no compliment

We Enjoyed Our Stay
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

The breakfast was too expensive. We went to Perkins every morning for breakfast after the first day.

The pillows were nice and firm/fluffy. The shower's pressure was great. I was feeling sore from the long travel to Staten Island, but the shower massaged my body and I felt great.

I got sick of the emails so I wrote a review.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It's nice but the hotel is nice, but there is nothing within walking distance. Gets pricey for taxi's/ubers to get anywhere. Hotel does have a shuttle, but be sure to book a return ride when you reserve a ride to the ferry.

Facilities and room were clean and modern.

Get Ready to be Treated Like Trash
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The policies are ridiculous. My parents booked us the honeymoon suite for the night of my wedding and the staff would not allow us to check in without presenting my parents' physical credit card. How are people supposed to gift a surprise - especially to a bride and groom on their wedding night with such ludicrous policies?! I even showed them the confirmation email and welcome to your honeymoon suite confirmation and welcome letter with both of our names on it. The lady at reservations told my mother over the phone when she booked it that we were good to go and didn't need to bring anything else besides our IDs. But when we got there the staff was so rude and nasty and we were so disgusted by the way they treated us that we just left!! I should have learned my lesson the night before when I stayed there with my bridesmaids and they charged me an additional $200 deposit just to insure we wouldn't trash the room!! What kind of people choose to spend $200 per night just to trash a room? We were staying for literally only 8 hours and I was with my family for my wedding!! They forced us to wait in the morning (which made us late for our hair appointment on my wedding day even though we called down for them early)/ for someone to look over our room before we could check out and get my deposit back. It felt so ghetto!! Made us feel like criminals. Disgusted by this place will never go back!!

the room was spacious.

the price was a bit expensive. maybe there should be a way to save a little. like coupons or something

the room was spacious. the room service was great

Bad Last Day

My worst last day experience: 1. They mess up with your reservation with the shuttle - I reserved shuttle and they put my name in the list. I was down straits waiting for the shuttle. I found out that someone from the reception - god knows who - marked my name as canceled. So I missed my ferry. They had no availability any more. So they had to get a taxi for me. 2. They over charge you - BE CAREFUL, they charge crazily. I booked through booking.com and I knew how much I am supposed to pay. But, they send me a bill with 400 more. Funny thing is that, they bring excuses such as we do not know how booking works but this is what we see in our system. They said we will fix it and will send you the bill by email. I did not accepted it. You can never trust. I said I want this fixed before I leave. 3. Noisy corridors, lobby - I was in the 3rd floor but, I could clearly hear people talking and even walking. House keepers are every where and talking so loud early in the morning. Party every night at least all nights during my stay. 4. Only 2 people at the reception to accomodate large number of guests. People should wait more than 5 minutes to do their business.

With all what happened to me the last day, its difficult to come up with good things. Some points: 1. Free shuttle to and from Staten Island ferry station (however you have to do a day in advance booking) 2. Big area for the restaurant 3. Food was good in the rest

Staff was vert helpful and courteous.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The weather, you could have made it a little nicer at the beginning of our stay (just kidding)

Staff was vert helpful and courteous. Shuttle drivers took great pride in their jobs. Excellent accomadations Thanks

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Not as fine as before.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

The floor rug looks as though it needs replacing. Terrible! We've stayed at this hotel since it first opened, and we were disappointed with the appearance of the room and it's location. Our room was near the elevator--need I say more! Each evening we returned we went to the bar for a nightcap. It would have been nice to have had chips or small snacks.

Our room was very spacious. We left our room each day late in the morning and the cleaning crew allowed us privacy. Upon our return each evening our room was tidy and the bathroom spotless.

Great Hotel

The elevators had a weird smell. Need to clean more often or install a febreeze mist machine to clear odors.

The location, restaurant/entertainment, comfort, & amenities were great...and can't forget about the FREE parking!!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

?

The price was a bit steep for two seniors but the room was clean, comfy and safe.

The room was convenient to the elevator without being disturbed by people passing in the hallway. In fact, there was no distracting noise at all during the evening, all night or the next morning. I felt safe in the facility.

Nice hotel and bad service

I was very angry that my booking was not confirmed for the day I had on my booking and had to look for another accommodation at 2am! I was with a 3yr old and we had been travelling for about 10hrs! The staff tried to check me in earlier the next day. I was surprised to see that my room wasn't cleaned one day and by the 2nd day and almost the same thing, I had to call the reception to note it. I was never luck to take the shuttle!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

All of Staten Island heads to the Hilton
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible/Mobility with Tub

I was told I would receive a receipt by email......I still have not. I would like to see breakdown as the final bill was 13.00 more than I expected.

The wait staff in the restaurant made me feel elegant and the prices were very reasonable.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Nice looking hotel, decent, but not great value
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

The pool is only open 5-7 pm, which is not stated on website or anywhere when making reservations. There was no drain in bathroom sink. The fridge needs defrosting, wasn't particularly cold. The walls etc are thin so the place is pretty noisy. Also, for the money, breakfast should be included. Their sister hotel, the Hampton Inn, down the road does offer free breakfast, albeit unhealthy white flour crap.

The staff is very nice. The lobby is lovely. The room was spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Unhappy
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was told I was getting a double room is why I booked it got one single room with two bed very small for a high price would of never spent that much for what I got

It was a very clean nice place

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Short stay for a business seminar
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only real negative experience we had was less related to the facility itself and more to do with disrespectful people staying in a room near us that blasted their music and held loud conversations both in their room(s) and in the hallway at all hours of the night and early morning. We did place a call to the desk when it happened the second time and they stated that security would investigate. Not sure if it was security or just good fortune that they eventually quieted down.

Nice room, comfortable bed. Conference/ball room facilities were nice for a business seminar (there were many windows in the room we were in that made it less like your typical claustrophobic learning space) and the provided meals were good quality. Especially appreciated the glimpse of nature, as we saw a few deer outside the Persimmon room during our seminar. Also--food was excellent at the connected restaurant (Lorenzo's).

Hilton SI

There were no coffee stirrers and only decaf coffee in the room, and no sugar was in the room as well.

The room was cozy and clean, pillows were soft and the bed was good for a hotel

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Short stop over before cruising.

Only spent one night there and don't have any complaints.

Briana DeLuca was the assistant restaurant manager. While dined, she stopped by to ask us where we were going and what we were going to do. She helped us with advice of where to go and how to get there.

Not worth my money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I arrived at the hotel my reservations were not reserved like they were supposed to. I had to pay an additional deposit for my room. Check in time is at 3 but the pool closes at 5. I was highly disappointed.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

This hotel is just what Staten Island needed, a safe, clean and comfortable place to stay.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

When I needed something like batteries for the TV remote it was taken care of ASAP. I needed the taxi arranged for pick up that too was done for me. I felt very safe being a woman on her own. With the bonus being that the food was wonderful.........that is not always the case in hotels. Thank you

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Overall I would stay again hands down

The bed was shaking leg was broke and the bed was not comfortable had a big long lump in it that travel Across from one side to the other did receive half my money back 👍🏽

The set up beautiful hotel!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Would not return, would go to Hampton Inn instead.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible/Mobility with Tub

Common areas of the hotel were cold, breezy and I felt uncomfortable. Did not like idea that breakfast wasn't included. Always stayed at Hampton Inns and thought this was same plan.

Rooms were comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

It worked well as we we're wanted to stay with the wedding party but I wouldn't seek it out to stay

The lobby was so cold with an aortic blast every time the sliding glass doors opened. Also brunch wasn't great (probably because the breeze from the lobby). Although we all liked the omelet. Not worth $14:95. I would have preferred to order off the menu. Also shocked to be asked for $3 per bottle of Drinking water. There were none in the rooms. I'm used to complimentary water in room.

We enjoyed eating at the bar. The check in was easy and smooth. They allowed us to keep one room a little later at check out so we could get ready for wedding we were attending. The bed was comfortable but I was surprised that the bed didn't have a bed skirt. It looked unmade without.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Review of Hotel

The shower curtain in the bathroom smelled mildew like they washed it and it was folded not completely dry. I had to close the bathroom door in order to sleep because it smelled so bad. Also the restaurant smelled like a wet dog. I saw later on a waiter spraying room deodorant so i must not have been the only one to smell it.

It was a nice hotel

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Free parking and wifi
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It took us at least 15 minutes to find the hotel - our navigation couldn't find the address - on the road you will see 1000 and then 1200, there is no 1100. The hotel is hidden in an entrance to another hotel. There is a sign that tells you "Hilton is in here" or something like that; but it was so small and not obvious and not possible to seein the nighttime.

Free parking and wifi Room is clean

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

No notice on the sudden road block near the hotel

No notice on the sudden road block near the hotel

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Clean rooms, great staff.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

Clean rooms, great staff. Very friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Stay was OK
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was out in the middle of no where

There was a shuttle available but not to all the airports

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

I like restaurant
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible

The waiting at checkout

I like restaurant

Perfect

It is very nice and the wedding that I attended in the above right next door is beautiful!

Some what happy

Congested

King Room

The courteous staff, the facilities and great location.

The receptionists appeared overwhelmed attending to guests.

The courteous staff, the facilities and great location.

The pool was not open our entire stay.
    • King Room with King Bed - Hearing Accessible

The pool was not open our entire stay.

Clean room
    • Junior King Suite

The air vent directly over the bed. Woke up with stiff neck

Clean room

Loved this place! Everything was wonder & staff was just super!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not one thing. Everything was over the top!

Brunch was spectacular!

Very much disappointed went to use the pool wasted my money for nothing

Checked in to use pool was not open told it. Will be open the next day it was not 2 days no pool

Very accommodating

Excellent service!

BEST HOTEL
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Quiet stay for the global traveler.

Wifi did not meet my expectations. It didn't work well as it should.

The peaceful and smart environment in which the hotel is located. Quite nice.

Very noisy in the morning.

Very noisy in the morning. Slamming doors and noisy hallway.

Comfortable bed, clean and cozy

Comfortable bed, clean and cozy

Beautiful hotel

Nothing it was perfect

Beautiful hotel

Good by disappointed by inaccurate information received by booking

Rate was different than what booking sent me and I booked king size bed and I got 2 queen beds

Cleanliness