Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street 3 stars

63 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001, USA

#115 of 415 hotels in New York

After a long international flight. You just want to lay down. They were not able to make my room key. Then the quoted price from booking.com is not what I paid. The price went up $30

Location to penn station and the staff was extremely courtesy

• King Room with City View

The rooms are quite basic with little to no hanging room for your clothes.

The hotel is really well located close to Macy’s. the staff were helpful when you asked them anything and are happy to book taxis etc

Elevator sometimes busy. Breakfast expensive, although there were plenty of options around. The bar was a bit poor in options (didn’t have sparkling water), but again, it’s NY, you can find everything everywhere, so, no problem at all.

Large bed, good and clean bathroom, efficient and nice staff!

The front desk’s guy was rude person I have ever encountered at a hotel establishment. I did not feel we were treated like guests to the hotel. He was attempted to give me attitude like I was bothering him. I told him that I had made reservation under Li, and I spelled out the first name to him. He did not give us bottles of water unless we requested, but he passed bottles of water to the guests ahead of us before they completed their check-in. He arranged us on the second floor, and there were no view at all; as the room was facing the exhaust pipes. Since the air conditioner was cold, opening window would be another option. As I mentioned before, the exhaust pipes were next to the room. I tried to connect with the wifi with my last name and room number, but it failed. I contacted the front desk about the wifi issue, and the call was answered by the same guy. He said hold up for second, but I waited for around 4-5 minutes. The call was hang up by him. I ended up call again after few minutes later, and there was another lady answered my call. She found out that the one who doing the check-in mixed up the first name and the last name. Therefore, I could not connect to the wifi. I did not know how could he mix up at all even he had checked my credit card, my passport, and I already spelled it out upon check- in. I regret to make the reservation in this hotel rather than the ones that were close by in around the similar price range. I wouldn’t recommend to anyone at all.

We picked the hotel because of its convenient location- easy walk to Subway, Empire State building, and Macy; and the breakfast included in the room price. Since we were new to the city, and we did not want to bother to find a restaurant in the very early morning.

Couldn’t be happier with my stay at this hotel. Apart from the great location, the hotel is very clean and facilities are very good. The staff are extremely helpful and nice. I can’t thank them enough for all the help they offered us. Great value for money. Would highly recommend this hotel anytime. Keep up the amazing work!

Breakfast wasn’t very good. Nog lucht choice, no cheese or meat, only peanut bitter and jelly, only regular coffee

Perfect location, close to the subway, Nice room

Wardrobe space was small for two and the decor is a little tired and dated

Bed was much bigger than expected and we slept really well though this did mean not a lot of room for movement around the room. Shower was great - quite powerful. There is a fridge which is really useful for storing drinks and the microwave for reheating the leftover food you take home from the restaurants (you get a lot of food for two we discovered) We had a quiet room which we asked for. You cant completely escape the traffic noise but we were perfectly pleased with our room. We were on the 18th floor.

Room is very small for two people. There is barely enough room to put two suitcases.

Bed is comfortable. Bathroom good size with walk-in shower. Has microwave, iron, coffee machine

• King Room with City View

Couldn’t believe the Hilton timeshare scam they tried to lure us into in the lobby. Salesperson was pushy and kept trying to “prequalify” us, even though we said we were late for our train. As a Hilton Honors member, I thought Hilton would be above such scams and gimics and couldn’t believe we had to deal with this. It really put a black mark on the entire stay.

Great location in NYC

Door lady seemed too inquisitive for me. Asked awkward questions as if to see if I was a guest there, and I didn't appreciate that.

The bed in the room was amazing! As was the beautiful shower. The desk staff were very nice.

All good , no surprises

Booked room with 2double beds and city view. Room good size for 3of us in NYC . Hotel in good location with subway and Macy’s on doorstep. ESB in next street. Staff very friendly at breakfast . Choice and quality/ quantity of breakfast excellent.

• King Room with City View

I don’t like walking out front door into the designated smoking area. I understand smokers have to smoke but that’s not healthy to have to walk through either

Location, room, breakfast, staff friendly and helpful

• Double Room with City View

Booked months in advance and payed more than double the rate they were offering when we stayed there.

Terrific location. Surrounded by restaurants and coffee shops.

No free breakfast.

Staff and location were awesome! I would definitely stay here again. It’s hard to choose a hotel in an unfamiliar location. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful.

• Double Room with City View

No problems 😁quick check in and out. We did pay more than the stated amount on Bookings.com though so watch out for extras like taxes. Otherwise pretty good value

The position of this hotel is great for tourists! Get a room on a high floor ! Less traffic noise! We missed out on a view of he Empire State Building but other than that the three of us did fine in a two bedded room. Beds very comfy and tea/coffee available in the room! Even a fridge.

• King Room with City View

Loved our stay. We had a beautiful view of the empire state building. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. The rooms are definitely on the smaller side but who needs a big room when you’re in NYC. The only thing that was odd was that there were dirty dishes (I’m guessing the guests ordered room service) left outside the room across from ours for the entirety of our stay. But it didn’t reallg effect our specific room but it didn’t bother us too much.

• King Room with City View

The room was extremely small. While the room is alright for a single traveler, for 2 people it felt claustrophobic and cramped. The temperature in the room was uneven. Half of the room was cold while the other half was very warm. This made sleeping difficult because I was sweating while my wife was freezing. Also, due to the size of the room, there is no bathtub only a shower.

The location is perfect. Close to the trains, Korea Town, Herald Square, Broadway shows and Times Square. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean.

One of the kitchen staff was rude and disrespectful. However, once reported management addressed the situation which was good.

The property was clean and comfortable

The price for breakfast was steep at $20 pp, complimentary breakfast for guests like most hotels would have been nice.

Great location for attractions and public transportation. Comfortable beds and large bathroom, free WiFi & luggage storage. Close to restaurants and pubs.

Breakfast was not included in the price (as we have not eaten at the hotel I cannot comment on the quality of breakfast). No wardrobe in the room, limited space for your belongings, so you have to keep everything in your luggage. Do not expect a lot of space in your room, but there is enough place to move around, and the bathroom is OK in terms of space.

The hotel is very well located, close to Times Square and Broadway Theaters, next to the subway station (10 m distance from the hotel entrance). There was fridge in the room, as well as coffee / tee machine. Our room was overlooking the backyard but after one day we thought it is advantage, as it was pretty quite in the room and we could rest after the hectic day in NYC. Many shops / coffees / restaurant, including Macy's in the direct surrounding. The hotel personnel very helpful. Luggage room for free. The reception can arrange for a car and a driver at the end if you would like to go to the airport (at a fixed and pre-agreed price).

• Double Room with City View

Our double city view room was clean but could have been cleaner, eg greasy handprints which were visible when we checked in were never removed during our 6 night stay. Lack of overhead lighting in room means that the lamps are the only source of light which isn't bright enough. The building is old as are the lifts; and the hallways are narrow and dinghy.

Brilliant location and only steps away from the 34th St Herald Square subway station with access to the Yellow and Orange lines (that's R, N, W, Q, B, D, F, and M trains!) and easy connections to other lines. For those who love to shop, Macys, Nordstrom Rack, H&M, Uniqlo, Zara, Foot Locker, Journeys and many more stores are literally across the road and within 5 minutes walking distance. Plenty of restaurants, fast food places, ATMs and 24 hour convenience stores surround the hotel. Most midtown tourist destinations are within 15 mins walking distance. If you really enjoy walking, then within 30 mins you can reach Central Park and Lower Manhattan in either direction.

• Double Room with City View

Would have liked the Bar to not be in such a public area.

Location was perfect for us. Beds and pillow were very comfortable. There are cheap and healthy eats close by as well as Restaurants. Very close to public transport although we walked to most venues, including Central Park.

Great location, right near subway station and also shops, great restaurants and sights. Bed really comfortable. Staff friendly & helpful. We'd definitly stay again.

Bed seemed pretty hard, pillows too soft. but room was clean and comfortable otherwise. Room was comparable in size to other NYC hotel rooms.

Location was very convenient to Empire State bldg., Herald Sqr, 5th Ave, Grand Central terminal. Got a very good price for the location.

The location was just fabulous, especially for tourists, you can walk almost everywhere. And it’s a great steal, I still can’t believe with this location it’s almost as cheap as some hostels. Room was big for New York standard and very comfortable.

Everywhere is so expensive. Traffic is a nightmare. Taxi ride to hotel from JFK took around 75 minutes and cost approx. $70.

Good location for Times Square, Broadway, Madison Square Gardens. All within 15 mins walk.

The location is perfect! Right next to the metro. Room and view were great, no street noise when the windows are closed: loved it! Perfect place for a citytrip.

Rooms were perfect Size, beds super comfy, Friendly Staff, And the View Amazing Thank you Janice! Everything was well Maintain. Cant wait to come back to Hilton Garden inn.

The decor and lighting was poor. The hvac system was noisy and ineffective. The toilet plumbing was poor. The room requires a new paint job. The breakfast is overpriced for what it is.

The location was convenient. The staff was friendly.

No dislikes.

Location was handy to subways and within walking distance of most attractions. Staff were super friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable and bathroom clean. We had a great view of the Empire State building from our window. The lights at the top changed colour every night.

Would have liked a make-up mirror and some better lighting in the bathroom. Not familiar with New York prices, but $20 for even a good breakfast seemed a bit high.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful...Great customer service! The beds were were easy to sleep on. Breakfast was quick and had many choices. Everything was clean.

• King Room with City View

Shower leaked all over the bathroom floor every time you took a shower and wasn’t just a little bit soaked everything, some of the furniture was rickety and bed head was terrible for swallowing your pillow at night, when leaving the hotel every day you had hawkers trying to sell you tours things outside the front doors, we paid for a king room with city views we pretty well go views of building across the road,

Location was perfect very close to everything staff were very friendly and very helpful,

The elevators were a bit slow on peak hours, but it is a problem in most hotels

Location was perfect for me, the rooms were clean and the staff was always helpful

The pillows d sheets had a scent that wasn't so inviting but I got over it I was tired so I just went to sleep I didn't want to complain due to everything else being exceptionally good!

I loved the shower door, also the view was nice.

Room could have had bigger closet for clothes. Breakfast did not have any cheese, ham, or vegetables to put on top of bread.

Location of the hotel was excellent, near to Macy's and Empire State Building. Personnel were helpful and kind. Breakfast was good, lots of fruits and chef Luis made excellent omelets. Room was OK for three persons.

• King Room with City View

I booked a city view room, I expect more than that. It was a high floor instead of city view. The staff on front desk can be a little bit more supportive, but the room service is great

Easy access to public transport, easy access to Times Square, easily can explore Manhattan on foot! Great location.

• King Room with City View

We booked a room with the city view. However, when we arrived we were told that the hotel was overbooked and there was no room with the city view available. Therefore, we got a room on the 3 floor facing the back wall of the neighbouring building. We were too tired and exhausted after 8h flight, it was 2 am, consequently any room seemed already fine for us. The next morning we were offered an alternative room - and we moved to the 22 floor to the room facing the Empire State Building. The staff was very helpful in their assistance! That was an excellent 1 week stay!

Excellent location, very helpful staff! Great city view from the room! 30 sec to the metro! 3 min to Broadway! 10 min to Time Square!

• King Room with City View

Extremely time consuming to wait for the elevators. Quite noisy AC.

Location - metro and shopping nearby. Main attractions close too. Clean - room was clean and daily room-service adequate.

The service is the most awful we've ever received staying in hotels. We literally had to use the luggage trolley ourselves to carry our luggage to the room cause we were told there were no room boy and the security has stepped out so no one could help at all. We found trouble while doing that because apparently the elevator was too small for both of us and the trolley and we bumped into another guest that told us he had the same experience and said he'd never come back to this hotel. Guess what, neither would we! Other things I might add is that they provide no complimentary water except for the first night you check in, which the receptionist took out from the cupboard behind the desk (OMG). When it rained, we couldn't borrow any umbrella but instead offered to purchase them. For the price we paid, I would say it's way overpriced for such service. Go to The Redbury on 29th instead. We stayed our first two nights there and it was way better than this hotel.

To be fair, the location is arguably excellent.

We loved the location of the hotel and the helpfulness of the front desk staff. My wife took a beautiful photo of the full moon over the very close Empire State building, so the view was pretty good from our room. It's very convenient to subway, LIRR etc.

• King Room with City View

I ordered room with city view of Empire state and paid extra, we did not get view of Empire state. Elevator is very noise

location is very good, staff was very friendly

• King Room with City View

Confused about breakfast...was it included? No. But hard to find the sign with price of breakfast. Maybe put the sign on the entrance to the cafe area. Would have loved free lobby coffee. Don't like using Keurig - packaging creates more plastic waste.

Size of room better than most in NYC. View. Location. Bed. Super clean room! Sean was a great bartender & conversationalist. We also liked talking with our waiter from Bangladesh.

My room had other adjacent room and the noise that came through that door was too loud. Other than that, the hotel was perfect.

Great bed, good shower, great location. Staff was amazingly friendly. I could see the empire states building from my window.

The hotel itself is a bit dated. My shower was an "addition" that was installed on the side of the original shower head in the wall to replace the original shower which I suppose was too old to work properly. The added shower head was very small, it was one of those hand-held devices you find in cheap motel rooms.

Excellent staff, rating 10 out of 10, they went out of their way to serve me as a customer and did it all with smile. Very convenient location and the size of the room was large by New York standards.

The beds we’re very comfy, staff very attentive,loved the free bottle waters, which were given each day., excellent location, would recommend this hotel to friends.

• King Room with City View

Arrived late after a long trip and there was no room service available nor was there any option for a light snack.

The bed was very comfortable, I had a wonderful night's sleep!

I didn't like the man sitting in the front checking to see if people coming in were customers. He was rude. We asked him a question and he said "i dont know you need to ask someone else" and turned around and looked away. The room could have been a little cleaner. We spilled some food on the top comforter one night and it took them 2 days to replace or clean the comforter. I had to ask for coffee in the room. At times they would not even put any in there. The breakfast is not free not even a piece of fruit.

I liked the location. For the price the location was very, very good compared to other hotels I looked at. The bartender at the hotel is awesome. He was very nice and took the time to provide good customer service. If you are looking for location and not luxury this is your hotel. The location is steps from the Empire State Building, subway, local bars, starbucks or dunkin doughnuts, good pizza joint, and department stores.

• King Room with City View

Rooms are a little small but since we were out and about most the day, it was ok.

We stayed at this hotel for 8 days.The location was great for getting around NYC as the subways were really close and easy walking distance to Broadway plays. Staff were great - always helpful when we had a question. Facility was well maintained. Will book again when in NY.

The pillows smelled like greasy hair. The covers of pillows and perhaps the bed were not changed.

The location was perfect. Centrally located to subway, Times Square, and Harold’s square.

Was not much storage,

Great location. Subway very close to hotel so was easy getting around NYC. Our room had a view of the Empire State Building. Had a great sleep, comfy bed and pillows. Staff were both helpful and friendly and breakfast was ideal. Not a huge choice but what'was there was perfect. Would return to this hotel if back in NYC.

Nothing. It was fab.

The hotel staff were very helpful and even gave us a room with a view for our silver anniversary. The room was clean and comfortable. The shower was fantastic. Also it is situated next to Macy's which is great for shopping and the hotel is next to the subway. 😁

• Double Room with City View

Rooms on higher floors are far better but the lift service is very slow especially at breakfast time.

We paid for a City View room When we arrived we didn't get the room we expected. We spent one night in that room but were moved to a far better room for the remainder of the stay. As an apology we were all given a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.

The barman - he was rude and unwilling to engage. As an ex Hilton employee it’s not unusual to go above and beyond. This guy wasn’t even fulfilling the basics. Not going to go into it but just really not what you’d expect from a Hilton employee, he let you guys down and certainly needs service training. Rude, rude, rude.

Was greeted by Alex upon arrival and was treated with the utmost respect. Check in was fast and easy. Alex could not have been more helpful or professional. The hotel is fortunate to have an person of his character, mannerisms and professionalism working there. He was able to answer all my questions and really made me feel like a welcomed guest.

Booking.com did not book the right size room. The Hilton was responsive and gave options so the fault was in the booking. com reservation.

Very Comfortable. great location. secure doors quiet very comfortable.

• King Room with City View

Wonderful staff, helpful in every way possible from reception to the restaurant. Great breakfast. Good value for money hotel. Bed was super comfortable too!

• King Room with City View

I booked a single room with city view but only got a room on the 3rd floor and construction view . It’s not a major big deal but would have appreciated what I paid for .. the housekeeping needs to be a little more careful , my foot was stabbed with some thin piece of metal wire .. they should vacuum throughly as people walk around the room without shoes and socks .. there was some bottle cap on the floor next to the bed , luckily I didn’t step on that too as it was more towards the back next to the nightstand .. the fridge was wobbly , which they should fix since it would be used by everyone and there was only toilet paper holder that was missing , so when you pull the toilet paper the whole time falls down , perhaps that room should be fixed up before other stay .. if people are paying for it , room should be fixed like all rooms .. I also found a few hairs on the bed . Overall the cleanliness of room could been more thorough and the broken things needs to be addressed ..

I like the location

Location was very good- Macy's mall ,also the Penn Station and Empire state building were very close by. Rooms -clean and spacious enough! Staff- polite and nice.

Staff even if polite and helpfull, looks like is bored to death and sometimes is condescendent too. The reservation had breakfast included but they were tried to scam us telling me that is no breakfast included. Of course, my reservation told em something else and they gave us some vouchers for breakfast. They charge as an additional 150usd for “incidentals” and I am really curious to see if I will ever recover those money.

Clean and very good location. Few steps away of Empire and Timea Square.

The bed was really stiff, and the price was $100 more than my booking price. The staff was very friendly. Just could not understand how the price mysteriously jumped up $100 more than what I originally booked it for

It was close to times square

Theres another form of Hilton right next door making arvil confusing. No wifi & no roomservis. Why have a room service button if it does not exist?

Grate location, helpful staff.

• King Room with City View

Checkin could be a bit more organised giving preference to Hilton members

The hotel gets very busy and checkin can be delayed until the afternoon. Even as Hilton Gold member my room wasnt ready until 2.00pm but that said Alex the manager on front desk did everything he could to make things right. Appreciated that they go that extra little bit to make things right

• Double Room with City View

We paid 2x the price we would have paid if we had walked into the hotel without a reservation. The counter person told me and I looked it up online to confirm. But they also told us it was too late to cancel the reservation and re-book. Buyer Beware seemed to be the attitude! When we checked in we were supposed to get a voucher for breakfast. They didn't give it to us and that caused some stress for the breakfast staff because we just sat down to breakfast and helped ourselves unaware that we were breaking protocol. It was resolved the 2nd morning but it was weird. Especially since we had confirmed that we had paid for breakfast at check in.

Staff. Not very helpful. When I asked where to get the bus back to the airport they had never heard of the company (Newark airport express). They printed the page I showed them on my phone and wrote the phone number on the top of it for me to ring. I thought if they had spoke with the bus company they would have more of an idea where the stop was. We figured it out in the end by tracking the bus on the company’s track a bus page then waiting at the stop before we needed to go to the airport to save stress later when we needed it. Seeing as the hotel is part of the Hilton chain we wasn’t overly impressed. Could have been in a travel lodge! Would have been nice to have a bottle of water every day not just on arrival and for the towels not to be changed every day even though we left them on the towel rail. We had a front room which was a bit noisy at times. Car horns (Newyorkers like their horns). Dustmen in the morning but don’t let that put you off. The noises didn’t wake us up.

Central location right next door to 34 St Herald Square subway with very good connections. Empire State Building and Macy’s next block away. Madison Square Garden 10 minute walk. Time Square 20 min walk. Broadway 25 min is walk. Central Park 30 min walk. Guessing most rooms you can see the Empire State Building? We were on the 8th floor (808) and had the view in the photo. Free baggage store on last day. Handy if you have a late flight like us. Food places around hotel. Expect to pay central London prices. There is a 7/11 on 5th Avenue which is reasonably priced and it does hot food. See picture of map. Must do’s. Staten Island ferry. Free to cross. Great views of Statue of Liberty and Downtown Manhattan. Roosevelt tram which is really a cable car. Small fee. We had a subway pass so free to us. Beds. We had 2 doubles in the room. Very comfortable and temp about right.

• King Room with City View

People smoking close to the building - I’m allergic to smoke so when I came and went and people were smoking right by the doors it really bothered me.

The staff was awesome and the rooms were large and clean!

• King Room with City View

How ever, i paid for a room with a view and ended up looking into an office. Not satisfactory at all. Every staff member that i had spoke to while on my stay was rude and hateful. Including management.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was real spacious. The hotel itself is great and clean, in a really good location.

Great location, good room size with comfy bed and everything you need for a short stay. The hotel is nearby everything in Manhattan. Free coffee at the lobby :) The hotel staff is also great!

• King Room with City View

The FrontDesk ALex was great and helped me a lot to get a JFK transportation. All crew was amazing. Clena room, free coffee in the morning, espectacular view from Empire State.

The room felt a little chlostrophobic for my taste, but then again that’s what happens when you stay in a city. I also wished that when we checked in that the staff would’ve been a bit more informative. It was our first time in this hotel, and aside from taking our payment and handing us the room key, we had to ask all the questions.

I liked that it was very conveniently located in the city. The room was clean and comfortable.

• King Room with City View

The WiFi connection was very weak. The biggest thing I didn’t like was the shower knob. In order to turn on the warm water you have to turn it on then from cold to hot and because the shower head is so high, I couldn’t move it away, I was standing under the cold water initially as I turned it on and then I could back up as it heated up. Poor knob decision or shower head/ door placement.

The bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean.

• Double Room with City View

The overall cleanliness is pretty good, except that the quilt was a little stained. Very near Herald Square and quick access to everywhere in Manhattan. Overall great value.

We did not sleep comfortably....mattress was just OK. The bed pillows were flimsy & very uncomfortable. Comforter was synthetic so we were hot then after kicking it off we were cold etc. etc.

Price was fair and staff was friendly.

There was hair from the previous guess on the sheets and blanket.

The room was clean and cozy. The bathroom was very nice. The staff was very polite and informative.

• King Room with City View

It must be forbidden smoking whitin the premises

The city view, location is excellent, close to everywhere in Manhattan, the coffee machine in the room.

Price, location, clean room., good staff.

This was the best hotel for the money I've ever stayed at in NYC. I only wish the price was always the same!