Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge 3 stars

1800 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA

#5 of 5 hotels in Emeryville

Staff at desk very defensive if asked questions about how billing worked. Needed to know why my credit card was charged up front for services I had not used yet.

Quiet and comfortable room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was a bit disappointing unless you want to have eggs and bacon. The location is not very convenient, far from Bart and bus 57 stop. The room was quite pricey.

Nice and very clean.

• Queen Room with Mountain View

I booked the room through booking .com for 179.00 a night but was charged 219.00 a night and was told I had to pay the going rate regardless of the bookings rate. I was disappointed with the financial set up even though I loved the room

great location right by the marina- perfect for scenic walks!

At check-in I felt super rushed and because of this I didn't get to ask any questions about the Hilton Honors program. The breakfast buffet was disgusting and overpriced.

The staff was really helpful for answering questions. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. I really liked the keruig in the room!

• Queen Room

We have stayed here more than 3 times. This particular room was the smallest we ever stayed in, in this hotel, and right next to the elevator. On sunday morning starting at 6am I felt like I was on a game show as the elevator dinged on each floor, over and over again. Our other stays were great. This one: room too small, bed uncomfortable and too noisy. The staff is generally accommodating and very nice. Not so much this time. The rates vary and this stay we paid the most we have ever paid as well.

Eggs were fluffy. The location is nice and nice areas to walk around the hotel.

• King Room with Bay View

There was no bottle water inside the room, and the little refrigerator is literally empty!

The location is excellent, only 20 minutes drive to San Francisco, and the views of the bay bridge is wonderful. Also you can take a walk at the marina park, and shops are just across the streets. The breakfast is great with all you can eat and the waiter and waitress are extremely friendly.

• King Room with Mountain View

The walls are paper thin and the room next to us partied till 3am. We called once and they turned it down a notch but their music and drinking games after a long day of driving was a bummer. The main bed was comfortable but the sofa bed was the worst. We tried to call for a rollaway in hopes that would be better but they had run out. Also, this location does over book so if you're arriving late you should call ahead to be sure they actually have a room for you. This wasn't a problem for us but some other guests.

The location is great and the lobby is bright and welcoming and the staff is polite. The cleaning staff is superb!

Check In was not easy for my family, the view is of gas station, very loud from trafic even in the middle of night.

Confortable bed, bathroom clean and well stocked, free coffee, good location. They were very nice to let bring our dinner and eat in reception area

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Mountain View

Paid parking, breakfast coupon????what? every day they tried to take some money for my bank card! outrageous! Exhaust fan not worked!

Good location! Breakfast was good! Bathroom and beds were very clean!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Mountain View

It was great location. It was easy to use the free shuttle to the BART to get to San Fran. The price was right and the hotel was clean. The staff was very helpful and courteous

• King Room with Bay View

Room service starts at 5 pm.

Our room had a nice view of the bay and San Francisco. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good and had great variety to choose from. The hotel is located by major roads making it super easy to explore San Francisco, Sonoma, etc.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Supposedly they have this great system where you can use your phone as your room key but it does not work. When I arrived to check-in they could not find my reservation even though I had already checked in. I had to search for my confirmation number and then she said, "oh yes, they have your name spelled wrong"?? My name on my reservation and check-in was spelled right when I checked. So check-in took at least 12 minutes!! Hotel is nothing special and for $278 a very very poor value for money. Free wifi was hopeless so had to pay for it. Noisy (highway noise) and not that clean. I won't be back. By the way if you think that being a Hilton Honors member helps, it doesn't!

• Queen Room

Not the whole room, but just the bathroom, smelled like marijuana. The heater/ac was noisy and woke me several times. Also, the room faced the freeway and that contributed to the noise factor.

• King Room with Mountain View

Floor smelled of marijuana multiple days of the week, homeless man being arrested in the front foyer one morning. Being told that the homeless sneak in the bathe in the outdoor hot tub , so staff have to repeatedly drain and clean it. Highway noise woke me up a few nights.

Front desk staff was friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Mountain View

Everything was fine. I wish the windows were cleaner to enjoy the excellent view of The Bay.

All the staff were excellent. Jordan at the front desk, the Asian woman who met & seated me at breakfast and wait staff.

• Queen Room - Disability Access Hearing Accessible - Roll-in Shower

Steady shuttle service to the BART station would be nice.

There was ground cinnamon available at the breakfast buffet for my oatmeal. I almost never see that at other properties and it serves to distinguish the Hilton Garden Inn in my eyes.

Although they were very busy, the staff were excellent! They all absolutely exceeded expectations, and had the best customer service I've ever received, even for a Hilton. I'm not sure of the man's name who helped us check-in, but he was very courteous, compassionate, and kind when I made a mistake in using the parking ticket. He replaced it, and didn't bat an eye for a moment! I would definitely stay here again!

The bed was a little to hard for me.

It was so nice staying at the Hilton. Was very friendly and welcoming. Definitely will stay there again for our next SF trip.

• King Room with Bay View

The only sad note was our breakfast waitress. We waited 30 minutes for one omelet. Others that came after were served theirs and when I asked the waitress she was rude to me.

The front desk staff was super helpful, room was clean and I had the best view of the Bay.

• Queen Room - Disability Access Hearing Accessible - Roll-in Shower

The room I stayed in was a handicap room and the shower had no lip to keep the water in, allowing it to flow out into the bathroom floor. Serious slip hazard if not paying attention!

The hotel is easily accessible to both freeways. The rooms are a great size and the facilities are always clean and quiet. I love staying here when I come to town. This is going to be my 4th stay in the past few months.

Breakfast was mediocre. Key pass in parking lot never worked, which was very annoying. Sound proofing was poor, noise in room.

Location was good, room was clean.

• Queen Room

Lobby and bar area freezing.... when bar tender was asked if the heat could be turned up, she essentially brushed it off....

The bed was comfortable and shower had good flow

• King Room with Mountain View

But far from Union Square for walking or public bus but not too far in car

Breakfast had lots of options and fruit was fresh. The room had Mountain View with city, and didn’t need ear buds as it was quiet throughout the whole night

• King Room with Bay View

It was a bit noisy (in the morning hours) from vehicles outside, even though my room was on the 9th floor.

The quality of the breakfast and it was free with my reservation.. The staff was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. The view of the Bay from my room was awesome. The beds were most comfortable, as well.

Just one day we thought that the cleaning staff didn't clean the floor of the bathroom very well.

The included breakfast was excellent, better than I expected. And the staff was super polite.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was nice and clean, and the complimentary Wi-Fi was a nice touch, but the bed was much too firm and not comfortable.

The location was great for traveling to and from the Oakland/San Francisco area. The breakfast buffet was also very good.

• Queen Room with Bay View

Even regular speaking voices can be heard from the room next door. The bathtub is also a bit small for an adult to sit in comfortably but these are things to be expected so not really that big an issue.

Large modern rooms. Wifi worked well. Very comfortable bed. Good size bathroom. Friendly staff. Walking distance to Amtrak station. Highly recommended if in transit.

Room was disgusting, paint peeling hair all over the bathroom cologne and musky smell on the bed it was clear blankets and sheets were not washed. Staff was rude and it would be nice to get a refund, will not use again.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Overall very comfortable to stay

Nice room Bathroom impractical. Plugs placed in weird spots. Furniture could have been arranged so that there is more room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Traffic noise - maybe thicker drapes to drown out the freeway and other traffic noise.

Great getaway place while visiting relatives in the Bay Area. AND the price was right, this time.

• Queen Room

Our room was facing the freeway and you can hear a lot. Our Friends had the bay view and they loved it

The staff was excellent. Everyone we came in contact with was awesome

• Queen Room

a heat lamp in the bathroom plain eggs available at breakfast gluten free options at breakfast a little softer bed

sort of nice view if you sat in the right place soft pillows

My room was near the platform of facility (ventilation, air conditioner, etc.), I cannot open the window because it is right in front of my view, very ugly and noisy.

convenient parking, good breakfast

• Queen Room

This was by far the loudest hotel room I have ever stayed in. I couldn't sleep because of the loud cars passing by, the engines reving in the gas station next door, and I could hear people yelling outside. There was so much noise and I was at my wits end, but I found earplugs in the bedside drawer that was heaven sent. Whoever thought about putting earplugs in the room should get a promotion. The gas station across the street was a bit sketch. I tried to pump gas at 6pm before heading to the hotel and was approached by some guys trying to cell me CDs and one tried to convince me to buy his gas card lol, so naturally I decided it was best to pump has in the morning.

Hotel staff was friendly, esp the young lady in the front, didn't catch her name.

• Queen Room

The exit gate to drive out was broken-so many people weren’t able to return their parking pass card. Also a continental breakfast would have been nice.

Our room was clean, comfy and quiet. Staff was friendly and professional.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Mountain View

The floors in the room were heavily stained, damage on the walls and door, tiles on the bathroom floor were not clean, the freeway noise was extremely loud and disturbing, parking is $17/day (quite high), the gap under the door entering the room is huge, so much so we had to put a towel down to block it, the tv was crooked, the remote needed batteries, the curtains did not close all the way, the room chair was stained, and there were never any fresh cookies in the lobby as promised.

Convenient location to freeways, bridges, and entertainment.

• Queen Room with Bay View

The restaurant closed early Sunday morning. They were supposed to be open until 11:30am. The front desk attendant had to intervene on my behalf to get the manager to even allow me a takeout breakfast.

The front desk staff was professional and courteous and friendly.

the front desk person was not helpful name Hari, was not accommodating and trying to not get me a room when I️ have booked a room, saying he does not have a room. However, he changed his demeanor when I️ said I’ll complained.

Front desk Hari was rude

Shampoo/soaps were average quality. Prefer bath gel over soap. Tub "plug" was broken. No gym facility or pool that I was aware of. Complementary breakfast would be nice.

Comfortable bed. Keurig coffee maker. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Allowed for a room change/upgrade from a smaller room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Bay View

Read the positive part before the negative. It really is a nice hotel, I'm just being nit-picky. NONE of these "bad" things would stop me from coming back. Parking is not free but only $17/day. There is a large gated parking lot right outside. Water pressure in the shower was not the best but also not horrible. I just have thick hair and it took forever to get the shampoo out! Windows are not very thick so you can hear traffic outside. Again, not horribly but I was also on the top floor. Could hear someone blowing leaves outside like I was home in the country and I was on the 12th floor so I feel like I shouldn't be able to hear that so well, right? Also, if you're on the Bay side, you also see the back on the hotel aka staff parking and dumpsters. I happened to be here on dumpster pickup day so I could hear the loud garbage trucks at 8am. Could also hear people talking in the hallway very clear. They weren't yelling but as I lay in bed I could hear their full conversation as they walked past our room. I feel like the rooms near the elevator would hear a lot of chatter and noise from the elevator itself. If you had the fan/ac on, you wouldn't hear any of it though. Pay more for the Bay View rooms but the view is nice. Parking lot is on the non-Bay view side. I do prefer to be able to see my vehicle, especially if I am in an area I do not know. Breakfast is not free :( BUT they do offer a hot breakfast complete with omelettes and waffle making... but if I'm going to pay for breakfast then I might as well go across the street to the Denny's. Honestly, none of this would stop me from coming back or recommending this to others.

Really nice hotel! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it. Front end staff was very friendly and helpful. Lobby is beautiful and offers a restaurant, bar, hot breakfast, store, and sitting area. Bay view is really nice. Room was really clean!! We stayed 2 nights and the staff made the room perfect during the day while we were gone. Keurig for your morning coffee with a variety of coffee choices Comfy chair and lamp next to the window so you can enjoy the Bay View Fridge and microwave Lots of extra towels and extra pillows Linens were really clean. Carpet clean. Everything clean! Comfortable (clean) bed and pillows! Programmable, wall mounted thermostat Shower/bathroom really clean. Shower drains well and toilet flushes super strong like on an airplane.

No bottled water in the room for coffee or coffe mugs...pink artificial sugar...really? Don't expect this at a Hilton, but I guess I will stay away from their Garden Inns.

• Queen Room

The walk and no available shuttle. Under estimated distance of walk to Amtrak station in Emeryville (Oakland)

The Hilton desk mgr. was very sympathetic to our plight thinking our walk from Amtrak station to the hotel was an easy walk as indicated on webpage. Carrying bags,though constructon zone, past many homeless, under freeway at 10:30-11:00pm was not piece of cake. I'm 70, wife is 65. Desk manager bought us breakfast and provided shuttle back to station. Very nice man.

• Queen Room

Tub in bathroom was very slippery; a mat or anti-skid surface is needed here. Also, a 4 watt nightlight in the bathroom would be very helpful. Charge for parking for guests is tacky, especially when it's uncovered parking. Feels like an airline add-on fee.

Staff was helpful. When I checked in, they asked me if I was there for anything special. When I told them I was there for a conference, they added in the breakfast and reduced parking fee, even though I hadn't reserved through the hotel. Breakfast buffet was a bit better than others. Bed was comfy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This was a good place to stay for the morning train from the Emeryville station. There is a tiny shop and a gas station is also next to the hotel. I took a shuttle from SFO. Staff was helpful and room was very nice.

A bit pricey for no breakfast included

Location was close to our family's home. There is a very nice park with good vistas of the bay and SFO at the end of the street heading west from the hotel.

I couldn't get the front desk staff on the phone. They don't have an airport shuttle. As much money as they charge they should have one.

The location was great. There was food and shopping within walking distance of the hotel.

• Queen Room

We got there late at night, ate a light dinner, and needed to get some healthy snacks (fruits and yogurt). We ended up getting quite lost on the various highways, trying to reach a 24hr Safeway a few miles away. We found the hotel right away (coming from SF) so the location is conveniently off the interstate. It was hard for us to navigate to the Safeway since large highways cross at this location and it was hard to read the road signs and follow our navigation app Waze.

Easy check-in and check-out. Just needed to do a little extra coordinating with staff but no biggie (parking lot card reader wasn't working).

• Queen Room with Bay View

Noisy, right by the elevator and construction near by made it a little noisy at times.

I have stayed here a couple of times. Great staff, very helpful. Good view.

Breakfast was good, but very expensive if we'd had to pay for it. Staff at front desk were very welcoming, room was really comfortable, bed was great. Windows in our room were very clean.

When checking in the woman was doing more than 1 thing at a time. when I asked her if the two rooms were together she said yes and gave me the key to only one room. When I asked for the second room she said oh you have another room? She gave me the keys to another room. Both were not on the same floor. Both rooms the key did not work. Had to go back down and stand in a Hugh line to get the keys corrected.

The beds we confortable

• Queen Room

Had to pay for parking and property did not offer a free continental breakfast. Breakfast was $17 per person. Do not get a room facing the freeway, very noisy and made it difficult to sleep.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Bay View

I didn't like that you had to pay for parking, while I understand it is the norm for the area I still think it should be included. Check out is at noon yet housekeeping knocked on our door at 8 in the morning, I didn't think to put the do not disturb on the door as it never occurred to me that they would except us out that early.

Room was spacious enough for us (2 adults and 2 children), beds were very comfortable, but I do not believe they were queen sized as advertised, I have a queen at home and these were much smaller. For three nights there was enough drawer/closet space. A/C worked great as did the fridge. Bathroom amenities were nice and replenished daily. Shower pressure was ok, average for a hotel. Location to San Francisco was perfect for us, easy to get to the BART station so didn't have to deal with parking in the city. I didn't eat at the hotel, however there were many options nearby.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

That breakfast wasn't included like all our other stays and that parking was charged.

The hotels location to San Francisco was great although Bay Bridge was very busy...

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Having to pay extra for everything (parking, breakfast). Bartender ignored us while serving others, including new people at the bar. It wasn't until she heard us say, "let's go" that she finally turned and said you're next. She still helped someone else that walked up after that. Long black hair woman.

Beds & pillows were comfortable. The staff went above and beyond to help.

• King Room with Bay View

The check in process wasn't very pleasant. We were denied our room initially because our confirmation could not be located by our name in the computer system. After I provided proof of a reservation with an emailed confirmation number somehow our room became available on a "sold out" night. Staff could have been more welcoming & perhaps a bit more diligent in figuring out the problem vs telling us they are sorry & sold out. Apparently in their system my first name was my last & vice versa. It eventually was ironed out. Other than that we enjoyed our stay. ;)

Convenience from freeway, lobby decor, bay view

• King Room with Bay View

Lots of issues with our lock/key card,but staff was quick to respond.

Staff was friendly! We also had a nice view of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island and San Francisco.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I stay in a twin beds room. The beds are comfortable. Hotel location is closed to Berkeley. But if you are going to San Francisco through Bay Bridge, you need to avoid rush hours which is 3pm to 7pm.

• Queen Room

Get better front desk help. Below our expectations for a Hilton property.

The front desk attendant was rude, he actually refused to thank us twice and rolled his eyes at us. His name is Louie. Upon checkout the front desk person failed to ask us how our stay was and they failed to give us our wake up call at the right time. Desk staff needs to be retrained or fired.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• King Room with Mountain View

Breakfast was not so good but expensive. I have had no feedback from hotel as to why my credit card is being charged twice. Parking still expensive for hotel residents

• King Room with Bay View

To get to the pool you had to walk through 2 buildings then go outside to get to the enclosed pool. Would have loved to see buildings connected so I wouldn't freeze in 50 degree weather. Other than that, the hotel was great.

The marina view is AMAZING! The service and breakfast was awesome as well. And the cookies they hand out at the beginning of your stay....... worth drooling over.

Rude desk staff upon arrival. Parking cost 15 per day with limited handicap parking. No bell hop available to help with luggage. Waited nearly an hour for a menu to be delivered to our room.

Room service. While pricey, the food was hot and delicious.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

All good especially the Emery go round bus from railway station - stopped at hotel and was free

Waterfront was close so enjoyed looking at Goldem Gate bridge and walking along Harbourside. Restaurants nearby were good too

There was 5 women getting dressed before we headed out and if we would laugh even a little bit we were getting a call.

I liked that I was able to get a late check out

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• King Room with Bay View

I was very disappointed for how they maintain the rooms. My room was dirty and did not show the Hilton quality I'm familiar with.

Most of the staff was very helpful but a few at the front desk made feel like I was bothering them with simple request

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Lots of loud, loud engine noise as there seems to be some street racing late at night. Not fun when you're trying to sleep.

Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast area selection and service also very good.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• King Room with Bay View

There was no lighting in the Wi-Fi area. The suite was so large that it was difficult to view the TV from the bed.

Everything was good. There was an adequate number of pillows, very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

I traveled with my family, so we asked to provide a baby crib, which was provided but there was no mattress and sleeping covers/blankets provided with the crib. So, the provided crib was useless. It was ridiculous and not logical.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Some staff are terrific, and some clueless. Need more training to even out the professionalism.

Well located for business in East Bay or San Francisco. Comfortable and clean rooms. Good parking.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Windy during night time so make so much noise (windy sound) Toilet need improvement . Coffee making machine need cleaning.

If you want to be out from City center here Location is great ,easy access from main highway. View of Bridge is nice . Staff is helpful .

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

• King Room with Bay View

The hotel is rather expensive, with rooms with a view costing extra and no free parking on the spot.

The room had abundant facilities and the staff were generally helpful (once the crowd checking out had left).

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Queen Room with Mountain View

Found the heater/air conditioner didn't operate correctly. It was a winter visit and I tried to heat the room to 70 for an hour while I had dinner. On returning it was still very cold and blowing cold. Even after turning the control to 80 it blew cold air. I called in the problem and then it started blowing warmer air. So I called back to cancel the service call and after an hour it was warm enough.

The staff were very respectful and professional when I reported that someone had stolen my phone! Turned out I was mistaken, it was in another bag with an identical pocket. I liked the Keurig coffee maker; much better than a drip machine. Would have preferred a little more choice of coffee capsules, such as a dark roast.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Queen Room with Mountain View

Noisy on the mountain side. Will stay on bay side next time as we've done in the past.

Great staff. Friendly housekeeping. Safe and secure hotel. Convenient location

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• King Room with Bay View

They could not find my reservation, then I had to push for a room with a Bay View that I had paid for. The WiFi was not working for me. Then at about 11:30pm, someone tried to get into my room twice then the the front desk called wanting to know who I was as they had no record of me. Long story short. They "F" up the registration and tried to lame blame on me. It got squared away but a pain in my ass.

It was a good bang for the buck being in the Bay area.