Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Times Square 3 stars

790 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10019, USA

#181 of 415 hotels in New York

Based on 1966 hotel reviews

• Queen Room

I booked a king size bed, I was giving 2 doubles, online I filtered free breakfast and parking, the parking was great and reasonable but there was no free breakfast, the pictures showed a nice bar area with a roof top location and it is not there. You guys should really take the pictures off the website, that was one of my request for a nice bar and sitting area. Also the front desk charge my holding fee twice, I had to let them know at check out.

The hotel staff was friendly and the rooms was clean.

• Queen Room

Bathroom small, basic, shower in bath with curtain. But was ok, good hygienic.

Super location! Very close to Times Square and subway station 50th Street. Hotel near busy road but with windows closed quiet to sleep in nice big bed. Powerfull free Wifi. Airco very good. 3 stars rating absolute deserved.

I did check-in through the app and made sure we had connecting rooms by calling in to the hotel while checking in. However, when we got to the hotel our rooms were changed and we no longer had connecting rooms. The people at the desk told me they would change it the next day and then when I called the next day, I was told they couldn't do it until the following day which meant we would only have one night left. The people at the desk were not very friendly especially a woman named Abby. The manager got involved and said he would give us 10% off the room and that it should show at check-out. However, our receipt at the end showed no discount so I had to go through all of it again with Kevin at the front desk. He said he would take care of it and he did so by the time I got to the airport, but it was very frustrating as we had come from two different states to spend a girls weekend in NYC for my sister-in-law's 50th birthday. She starts chemo today and we wanted to make her weekend very special. Not having connecting rooms made it difficult on us with 6 people trying to go back and forth down the hall. Very frustrating.

The beds were very comfortable.

• Corner King Room

The bed was great. The staff was excellent and everything was clean and orderly. The man at the door was especially helpful and very nice. We didnt get his name but he is a great asset to your company!

Unlike other hilton hotels, the hilton garden inn times square charges more with no amenities. Their breakfast is fixed menu with worst offering and staff is very rude.

• Queen Room

Some cosmetic problems in the room, very used everything

Awesome location! Nice bed, good wifi, very good conditioner. Love Hiltons in general, it’s just typical Hilton.

Price

Comfy bed. Great location. Parking right next door. Overly expensive for a two star hotel but not unexpected for NYC. Would go back but not necessarily my first choice.

Spa, pool or hot tub would be nice to relax after a long day of walking around the city. Roof top bar was not open, I know it was a little chilly but a bar or lounge would have been nice for later evenings to relax with a cocktail.

Bed was awesome and size of room great. Also, very hard to find hotels with mini-fridge, microwaves and coffee makers in room, very nice for left-overs! Also, very quiet - some of my co-workers stayed at other places and complained about the noise, we did not have that problem. Maid service was excellent!

. The pillows were not comfy.. The bathroom was very very small with very poor lighting. My wife could not even see her legs while shaving in the shower. The quilt/comforter on the bed was clean but very tattered, almost falling apart. We also tried to postpone this reservation more than 2 1/2 days prior to the beginning of it. The manager, Maurice, told me I was eight hours too late to do so and if I did not come I would lose my money in full. Eight hours!!! It was still 2 1/2 days before the reservation. I have been a loyal Hilton member for years, but will no longer staying in the Hilton. Thank you Maurice!

The bed was comfy. View was nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Prior to my stay I contacted the hotel through booking and told them that I was going to pay in cash. I arrived at the hotel super tired after a long flight, and instead of feeling welcome (like in my previous stays at other Hilton locations in NYC) I was received by a rude, unfriendly staff and the worst hotel manager I come across in many years. She told me several times that "unfortunately we don't accept cash" even though I told them before I would pay in cash. She couldn't care less so I was forced to provide them a credit card to book a security deposit. Like if cash is not real money anymore. What's the difference of providing a deposit in cash or credit? Now, just imagine my suprirse when during the checkout a couple was paying in cash and they didn't even questioned them or said anything. Surprise, surprise. Was I being discriminated because I'm a tourist? But wait there's more! The Manager tried to short me on my change despite the fact that her and the frontdesk employee counted the money OVER 10 TIMES on my face. I've been a guest of Hilton multiple times and was always treated with respect and felt welcome, but not this time. The worst staff ever. Now about the breakfast: Don't be fooled. Some options in booking mention "american breakfast". If you are okay with getting 1 muffin/croissant/or some weird gelatinous mix of eggs with bacon, 1 piece of fruit, 1 coffee, from a local store inside the hotel go for it. But you should know this is not by any means worth the money, or a proper breakfast. Now about the room: great beds, good shower, however there is NO isolation whatsoever. The glass window is super thin and you'll hear the street all night long. Bring some ear plugs like I did. If you have small children be careful. In this hotel the window can be fully open. There are much better options for your money.

Comfortable bed. Location

Housekeeping missed our room one day and I had to call it to the front desk’s attention that evening.

The bed very comfy. Location superb. Staff helpful when there was a problem. Temperature in the room easy to adjust. I could open the window enough to get fresh air in. Excellent sound insulation.

That one of our rooms faced a brick wall and was handicap accessible. That the rooftop bar was closed for renovation,even though when my confirmation was sent I inquired at the hotel,and was assured it Would be open. I made our reservations in November and there still was confusion at check-in,our rooms were on different floors,even with my request of adjoining rooms or close to each other. So we had to wait for new rooms to be assigned. They didn't give us breakfast vouchers,I had to return to the front desk and inquire. We had ordered the turkey sausage sandwich,which they were out of. So when I brought the fruit cup to the counter,I was charged $10 each day! Shouldn't that have been considered a substitution?

The property was clean,and in a safe and good location. It was convenient to access restaurans,etc.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Mobility Accessible

Breakfast was a bit chaotic, room was dark a few more lights wouldn't have gone amiss.

Fantastic location in the heart of Broadway and round the corner from Times Square. Central Park was at the top of 8th Avenue 5 minutes walk away. Lots of lovely authentic New York restaurants on your doorstep.

• Queen Room

The beds weren't comfortable. The people at the front desk weren't very personable or happy. It wasn't a great experience. However, the room was clean and we felt safe but I'm not sure I would stay there again.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Hard to control room temperature... it was a bit cold but then it would be too warm...We couldn’t get the temperature just right. But not a deal breaker

Room was spacious and bed very comfortable

asked for a high floor room with a city view, we got the high floor with a brick wall as our view. It was our Anniversary, so we were a bit disappointed with the view, however, we were early and the room was ready so we took advantage of it

good location, comfortable bedding

Dated room and bathroom. Bellman charged us $20usd for leaving our luggages overnight when we were coming back to stay for another 3 nights

• Queen Room

Hotel décor is dated, walls are thin which means you are disturbed by neighbouring rooms. Have stayed in city hotels before which have far better sound insulation from street noise but this one was vey noisy, and trust me, New York is very noisy. We stayed on the 15th floor very close to their roof terrace and bar which again were loud until the early hours. Basic coffee machine, which was fine, but I'm not a coffee drinker and would have liked a simple kettle in the room to make tea. Didn't use the cafeteria downstairs but it looked ok and there is a small hotel shop selling all the basics such as drinks and snacks.

The location was great giving easy access to Times Square and many other popular tourist destinations. Fantastic diner directly opposite the hotel and Lillies Bar just around the corner, which is worth a visit.

• Queen Room

Tv......make sure the cable work all the time because at first wan't working and we called the front desk and was really good sending someoneto fixed but in the morning when we turn the TV on was not working again.

The only small inconvenience was the TV that the cable was not working at first but beside that everything was excellent. In the future I will stay again good services and the most important really clean place.

Booking.com advertised this hotel as “Breakfast Included” and it was not. They had a small shop where you could purchase coffee, cereal and microwave breakfast sandwiches. However, there are good choices close to the hotel.

The hotel was clean and comfortable and close to many restaurants and attractions.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Very very loud guest, mostly young folks, shouting out loud in the rooms, running around in the corridors. Slamming the doors all night long, having loud parties in the corridors till 2 am.

A block away from Times Square.

• Corner King Room

Heating/Air conditioner was too loud. Could not take a bath because the bath plug did not work. The handle to the room door was hard to manipulate, needs to be repaired. If there was an emergency it would be very hard for someone with a disability to get out of the room.

Location was great Housekeeping was wonderful. Very accommodating.

• King Room - Disability Access

The non chalant attire for my comfort.q

Everything was just fine but I never got coffee brought to my room. After unasked several times. Until I went to front desk and waited and they have me 2 when we had 3 adults in our room.

I leave my luggage there and go outside. when i’m Back staff bring my luggage come at lobby then asked Tip & doesn’t move around 5min. Very bad

Very close to Time Square, Central Park

• Corner King Room

The room was good size but getting tired in my opinion and could use some upgrading.

Great location. Some staff like the doorman and the cleaning staff were really lovely and friendly.

• Queen Room

Although not a priority, I believe access to the hotel was outside and around the corner from the front entrance.

Location was excellent. It was a short walk to any number of excellent restaurants. The hotel is also close to numerous Broadway Theaters and a short walk to Times Square itself. If you have leisure time, Central Park is about a 10 to 15 minute walk, depending on your pace.

• Queen Room

Right next to the firehouse, so that was a little noisy a few times during the night. Then again, the firehouse is right there, so that is convenient.

The bed was very comfortable. Great location for the money. Cookies were offered but I did not try them. Very helpful staff.

If you book via bookings.com you don’t get Hilton Honors points. Rudd staff. Essentially incompetent operation. DO. NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. For decades I have been a very loyal Hilton customer. I am rethinking that loyalty today.

Terrible hotel. Huge mistake staying there.

• Queen Room

Website not updated no room service which is huge to me and my husband felt ripped off very expensive for a cup of disgusting coffee

Just the location

• Queen Room

Although the location was central, it was too touristy for our liking however it would be perfect for most families couples who want to be around the hustle and bustle of times square.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating, they really gave us a warm welcome. Beds were extremely comfortable and it was a central location.

• Queen Room

The food was merely a corner store within the facility. Not very good, overpriced, but convenient you are desperate. There is a Starbucks within a block that is much better. The area advertised as a lounge on the top floor really were a separate facility outside of the hotel. Had to ask for a 2nd coffee pod for a king size room with two people.

The hotel was supremely comfortable. Not fancy, but everything worked so well. Tub clean, toilet worked. Drawers glided smoothly. Bed mattress comfortable and no lumpy pockets. TV great. Refrig, microwave and coffee pot. The doors were thick and the room well insulated. Great location for Broadway - excellent restaurant down the street called Thalia. The concierge and all the staff excellent. It'd be nice to start with a bottled water, but not a crisis. The hotel was a deal.

The noise and no hot water from the sink. Every time the elevator moved I could hear it. Some sounded like a huge machine in my room. Could not sleep.

Lift shaft noise therefore no sleep for 4 night gets we were there

Lift shaft noise in room, moved room and had same issue. Booking.com do not get the better rooms. Fact. Therefore will not use booking.com again

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The housekeeping staff were rude when asking for supplies. When asking for extra bedding, we had to ask at least 3 times before anything was done.

The manager of the housekeeping staff was attentive to our special needs.

I didn’t like the fact that booking.com had not confirmed our booking with them ,hence we wasted nearly 2 hours waiting for a room after a very long day travelling

Plenty of pillows, but way too soft (like giant marshmallows)

Comfy beds, good size room (especially for Manhattan), cleanliness, ideal location for broadway shows.

• Queen Room

The front door staff was very aggressive about getting a tip. After we checked out a man offered to hold our bags while we spent the afternoon in central park, but asked for a tip when he took our bags and wanted another one when we got back

Great location, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms

I've stayed at this property many times, but there were a lot of issues on this stay. There was an overwhelming smell of gas in the lobby for 2 days, I had to talk to the front desk 3 times about a broken heater in my room, their guest services line never picked up when I called and my client wasn't able to make payment for my room because their fax machine was broken. I travel all the time and usually give good hotel reviews. But I couldn't for this stay.

Staff tries to be helpful once you get a hold of them, the hotel is in a convenient location, and the rooms were fairly nice.

No lunch/dinner restaurant; limited selection and confusing procedure at breakfast.

Very central location; nice and modern hotel with friendly staff; reasonably priced.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast included?? Don’t know who you polled for ascertain what constitutes breakfast, but it was a big let down.

Rooms were comfortable, shower was decent, location was good.

• Corner King Room

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast staff, whilst busy were always sullen and not particularly friendly in there manner of addressing you, although they always delivered. It was just very noticeable and almost awkward!

Location is excellent

• Queen Room

The Hotel restaurant did not have syrup and the only two things they offer on the menu require syrup (waffles and french toast). I ordered a bagel instead and he processed the transaction only later to advise me 15 minutes later they did not have bagels. There were 10 people in my group I asked the cleaning lady for 3 extra paper cups she was very mean and asked me why I need cups and didn't someone clean my room.

Size of the room.

It can be noisy having your room facing 8th avenue as the inevitable ambulance or police car passing by will wake you up.

The room was comfortable and the location cannot be beat for a quick stay in Manhattan to see a show. The E and 1 trains are close by as well as many restaurants and bars. The price was very good for the room and the staff was friendly.

• Queen Room

My wife and I came to see some shows and hang out in New York for a few days. Everyone was helpful with getting around town and very helpful with local places to Satan’s places yo go. We had a great time.

Overall our stay way pretty nice. The location was good, the room was kept clean by the housekeeper it’s just that we expected that the sheets were changed on the 3rd day as what was said on the note on the table. Nice staff. I don’t feel comfortable when i see a hotel room thats smells and looks old and dirty that I don’t feel like sleeping at all but your was good. Car service was fast too when we left yesterday. I forgot the name of the staff who let us stay a little bit longer because our flight was not until 7:30pm but he was nice to accommodate my request. Thank you.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The location of the hotel was amazing( about a 5 minute walk to Times Square. The beds we're really comfy and the rooms were clean with everything we needed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

Toilet paper (not soft), room not clean enough upon arrival, bedspread dirty, hair all over bathroom. Room cleaned much better during the stay, however. Housekeeping staff was friendly and lovely.

Beds, staff, location

• Corner King Room

Oh my the young concierge guy with long hair when we asked if we could leave 4 small bags to be picked up before 8pm he said it would cost us

Actually your front desk Trisha was very accommodating and understanding.

• Queen Room

Probably not your fault but I could not make phone calls from certain parts of my room. At one point I couldn't get connected at all (wifi. text, phone). I probably wouldn't stay there again for that reason. I have AT&T. Much confusion around who was paying for the room, me or my Company. Staff was very nice.

I thought my room keys didn't work, but was told that I was pressing down on the door handle too close to the top. I travel a lot for business and haven't experienced this in any other hotels. There was only 1 regular coffee, 1 decaf, 1 tea Keurig cup in the room. Seemed stingy: one person might want 2 cups of coffee or tea!

Bright lobby/dining area, no frills but comfortable. Ideal location--8th Ave. is busy, but a bit removed from Times Square craziness. Convenient 24-hr. parking costs $10 less than at nearby hotels (but is not self-parking as advertised). Windows in room actually open enough to let in fresh air! 8th Ave. wasn't too noisy from 10th floor. Gift shop and grab-and-go food, no restaurant, bar, or room service, but plenty of places to eat nearby. Efficient staff, security on duty at night.

• Queen Room

A bit dated. Very small bathroom. Nit all staff were helpful or customer focussed.

Excellent location. Convenient and easily accessible . Just around the corner from the Times Square clock, theatres and shops.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

THe room needs to be equipped with a stuffed chair similar to what the photo of the room implied. Two people need two chairs We got one (long wait) finally--a chair from the breakfast room. That was fine but we had expected a chair to be there in the first place.

I liked the room they gave us--overlooking 8th Avenue. The wait for the room was long (after 4pm) so the room location made up for it. It provided a great view of the Cyclone Blizzard that swept the city. Boiler failure left the room without heat and hot water our last night. When I called about the hot water, the desk clerk apologized profusely for the situation (over which he had no control or power to correct, by the way.) He sounded as if he had been beaten up over the issue already, which is mystifying in that it would take very little thought from a guest to realize he was not at fault. He suggested closing the drapes and told us to turn off the furnace blower as it would be only cold air. That worked. Temperature of the room held at 62 all night. It turned out to be a minor problem and the corporation deleted the charge for that night--ample compensation, I felt.

• Queen Room

Reception staff were very friendly. Went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. Housekeeping staff were just as friendly and helpful. Would reccomend to anybody :)

• Queen Room

The staff were extremely helpful with my requests and fulfilled them in a timely fashion. Will highly recommend this property and will definitely stay again!

• Queen Room

Size of the bathrooms and the shower didn't give a cleaning feeling

The check-in was fast, the room was big and kinda clean, The area is amazing, the hotel is in the heart of the theater district and really close to any good attraction

• Queen Room

I left bags after check out for 2 hours, when I went to pick them up the male employee stated" where you come from you don't tip, we tip here", he held out his hand. I was intending to tip anyway and felt he had overbearing demeanour.

Location was excellent,lovely hotel to stay

• Queen Room

The room was chilly, I informed the staff and was assured it would be looked into, but nothing changed. I tried to increase the heating at the control in the room, but ended up having to use the doona from the other bed so I could sleep. It would be useful to have a full cafe/restaurant instead of the tuck shop like facility

Great location, Times Square just around the corner, subway just down the block. Staff were friendly and attentive

• Queen Room

Expensive breakfast option, advertised but nonexistent roof-top bar (told us to go out and round the block, we tried several times and it was always closed). The rooms have been partly renovated but many things remain backdated and old. Shower fixed on the wall and difficult to use. Shower cups necessary in this case but not provided. Not enough toiletries for all people in the room. Attention! Hilton Honors not given if reservation is made via booking.com

Excellent location , clean and affordable. Nice view on the upper floors. Venting machines with refreshments on every floor and complimentary coffee/tea in the room (even though not enough for all guests). Friendly and attentive staff. Excellent and powerful hairdryer.

• Corner King Room

You need to have a restaurant in there where one can sit and eat or order room service specially when it’s snowing nobody needs to leave the hotel to look for food

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Could've been more communication from management when heating and hot water broke down (which was caused by the extreme cold weather!)

Excellent location. Comfortable beds

• Queen Room

That the breakfast wasn’t included and that the bathroom was a little bit on the smaller side but that didn’t effect my opinion of how excellent everything was!!

I liked how it was a 10 minute walk to Times Square and a 10 minute walk to Rockefeller Center! It was in a great location for what I paid for and it was very secure inside! The room was great and the view from the room was just as great!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything was first class and exceeded our expectations.

Position of hotel. Very convenient to all sighs. Excellent facilities. Comfy beds. Overall cleanliness of all areas. Helpful staff.

Very loud neighbors next door until 3am, very thin walls. You can hear everything from the street and water running so loud so I could hear in my room.

Service by the man standing close to entrance. Close to Time Square.

• King Room - Disability Access

We struggled for the first two days, water heating system and room heater are not working. Despite several requests but no cooperation at all and the manager in charge didn’t even able to see us. We had a child but no ones try to support. Also, we communicated with Booking.com but no positive response. At least we were expecting a polit support. So bad experience from the staff including in charge managers

Only location is excellent

• Queen Room

Arrived on a Saturday afternoon with outside temperatures around 8 degrees only to find out hotel had no heat and no hot water. We had been travelling for 5 hours and where expecting to take showers and get ready for dinner and the show we were attending. It seemed many people were checking out and finding other accommodations. We stuck it out as we didn't want to deal with parking again. They did fix the problem middle of the night but being a Hilton Honors rewards member would have thought they would have comped us something,..ie discounted rate or points on my card. Very disappointed

• Queen Room

No bar no restraunt no relaxing space outside room. Free breakfast turned out to be a sandwich and drink from cafe type dispenser

Location to times square great easy access to buses and trains

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The facility was clean and the bed was really comfortable. Hotel was walking distance to subway and Times Square attractions. Concierge very helpful in giving you directions how to use the subway system.

Location right on the edge of theater district. Worth the extra block to walk for the money saved. Everything was fine, just not a top of the line hotel. I would highly recommend it but especially to the budget conscious.

• Queen Room

The room seemed very old the wallpaper and everything seemed overly used, the coffee table had many scuffs on it wasn’t new, we could our neighbors cough

The location is great, everything is easy access.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Horrible lighting. Too dark to even see what was inside the suitcases. Only two lights in the room. A brick wall was our view. Also, no cabinets or counters in the bathroom to store any incidentals or personal products. They had to sit on the floor in suitcases.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful!!! The location wonderful.

• Queen Room

very unfriendly and rude receptionists. there was a technical glitch with my debit card and the receptionist kept saying out loudly in front of other guests that I do not have money in my account. Not once, but four times they said it loudly. It was very embarrassing. Who speaks that way ?. Instead of asking me to try a different card, they stressed on saying there is no money in my account. Who are they to tell a guest if the guest has money or not in their account ?. Pathetic.

• King Room - Disability Access

No hot water one morning, but called the front desk and they fixed it eventually and gave us ½ off the previous night's rate. Even with hot water the temp fluctuated between extreme hot & lukewarm.

Good location in midtown with access to a lot, Subway close by, walking, etc. no breakfast per se, just a little food shop, but Starbucks, DD, and a lot of good places to eat within easy walking distance (yelp it and make rez's)

• Queen Room

The room was a bit dark. Could use more lighting

The Bed was comfortable The location was excellent The price was very good considering the time of year

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I think our beds may have had bed bugs. I have let the property know and they will check. I’ll find out in a few days whether we are bitten or not. Despite double paned windows, we could still hear some street noise, especially in the middle of the night, waking us up. This is going to sound crazy but the sheets were incredibly noisy. Having four of us in two beds meant we could hear everyone turning in bed! The room was tidy but not clean- dusty (invoking allergies) and some disgusting worm was dried up hanging from the bedside lamp- for at least two days. I turned the lamp so the cleaners could see it better but they just returned it to its position. Room was smaller than i anticipated for a Hilton, double queen. No place for luggage. Minimal bathroom amenities. This is definitely the bargain Hilton brand.

Best thing about this property is its location- in the heart of the theatre district of Manhattan. The concierge lady (Betondra?) was absolutely wonderful and knowledgeable. The beds were very comfy (though see note below about bed bugs) and the room temperature was perfect, a nice reprieve from the outside winter.

• Queen Room

A little over priced I believe. No one offered to help with the luggage. Toilet fan is not working - or doesn’t work probably. Furniture is a bit worn out.

Location is good, kind of in the middle between Central Park and time square. Clean rooms.