Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown 3 stars

815 14th Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, USA

#81 of 143 hotels in Washington

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Wouldn’t stay here again!

I wouldn’t stay here again based on the fact I paid $47 a night to valet park and departed with with a dent in my less than two month old Ghibli. In short I was told it was nothing I could really do and basically because it was my word against theirs.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Exceptional hotel, comfortable stay!

The valet parking was a lot more than other comparable hotels charge. $55 per night plus tax for an SUV. This is a deterrent when visiting with a private vehicle.

This hotel is in an excellent location and easy access from the street. Valet staff was exceptional and friendly. The front desk staff was also very kind and helpful. You will not find a cleaner hotel! I always worry about cleanliness when staying in a hotel and my expectations were exceeded infinitely. The beds were comfortable. We will absolutely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

the staff in the bar were lovely and very accommodating...

terrible service when checking in, was abused by person behind the desk and the air-conditioning was so loud in our room it was unpleasant and struggled to sleep

the staff in the bar were lovely and very accommodating trying to make our experience in the hotel better

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Love the staff, love tha location, great price

There was a huge mosquito in my room pestering me most of the night.

The evening manager Michael is very kind and helpful, the staff is very welcoming and try to fulfill request.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

I will definitely be back .

The hotel is so centrally located you can walk everywhere. I don't believe there's a shuttle bus from hotel to bus station. That would have been nice.

Bed was super comfy and the staff was really helpful. I arrived in DC later than I had planned and the staff was extremely helpful in getting me checked in and settled in time for my meeting even providing directions to my meeting location and telling me approximate cab costs.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

No soap in room on arrival Price of parking Some of the staff didn’t speak to you Coffee was empty both times I went downstairs to get coffee Mold bleeding through ceiling in bathroom Didn’t think to take photos

Location Room temp Bed comfortable Doorman Most of the staff was good

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Our stay was very nice because of very pleasant staff at all levels.

Old easy chair. More drawers and hangers would have been nice. The bar and restaurant was good. JoJo is a top performer and a very nice person.

Linnens were very nice. Fluffy plllows. Very clean. Quiet. Large tv

One week in DC

Hilton Garden Inn is an elder hotel that could use a brushover very soon. The installations are OK but kindda outdated, specially the breakfast buffé. The staff in the bar are very friendly but the frontdesk must have had some bad days as they were eager to cut you off. If I return to DC I will try another hotel.

The location is very very good and the hotel is reasonable quite.

Great Location

Our room was near the ice machine and since we are light sleepers, every time someone used it we woke up.

I loved the location. We were able to walk to most of our destinations, but it was nesr the Metro which also made it convenient. I also loved being able to check in early and our room, it had an amazing view.

Nice accomodations but hijacked by the expensive parking.

When we arrived we were told that parking was $55.00 a night. I almost blew a head gasket. That was not posted on their website, had I known I would have not booked the hotel. Will not ever stay there again just because of the parking. I felt deceived.

The decor was upscale and new and the room was very clean.

Didnt dine in hotel at all, in general terms I/we found...

Better more user friendly controls for AC. In my opinion bar lacks any atmosphere and very poor selection of beers, in fairness bar man tried his best, offered taste of available stock.

Didnt dine in hotel at all, in general terms I/we found the Hotel very good. Location very good. subway/train directly across the street excellent service for the areas it serves. Unless you are well prepared to walk youll spend a lot on cabs,but most places are within reasonable distance. We covered from White House to Capital Hill and all in between 17000 steps. Did Arlinghton via train 1.75hrs in evening JFK Gravesite and " changing of guard" at 7pm also closing time. Hotel Staff helpfull, pleasant in all dealings across the board.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Great place and location can't be ruined by one employee.

One of two staff members we came in contact with at the front desk. Night help missed the part of he description that explained it was a hospitality position. But the Saturday morning staff made up for it. He was more than pleasant.

Clean and modern

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

The hotel overall was good.

The night shift front desk wasnt very nice...seem to have an attitude... we came back around 2am after being out and couldnt get the doors open...had few drinks lol and the two gentlemen just stood at the desk watching us trying to get in instead of helping us... i thought that was pretty rude and very unprofessional..

The hotel overall was good..room service was good and fast.. valet parking was great.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

This chain is slipping.

My phone slipped behind my mattress so I slid the mattress forward to retrieve it and found garbage and debris from prior guests. The room was small in that there isn’t even space to bring your luggage cart in. The pool is tiny in their basement. They charge almost $60 a night for your car (around the corner daily parking can be had for less than $40). The staff was friendly and professional. The breakfast buffet is not worth the money - go to a nearby restraint.

The beds were soft.

Hotel was great, booking.com not so much.

Booking.com customer service was terrible. I revised my travel plans a week before I was leaving to go to D.C. The Hilton never received my confirmation information from booking.com and when I called your customer service I was placed on hold for 35 minutes while the woman was trying to straighten it out. She said she would follow up with me later on to make sure everything was ok with the hotel after I had called and told booking.com that the Hilton does not have my reservation. The paperwork was never sent over to th Hilton and no follow up call from booking.com. Thank god the Hilton had an additional room for the night. At the end of my stay I had to provide Hilton with my booking.com confirmation email in order to not get overcharged, they still at that point never received anything from your company. Won’t be using this service again.

The hotel was great and accommodating.

Exceptional.

To be honest, I cannot think of anything.

Staff are exceptional and extremely friendly. Always willing to help. Bar and restaurant staff make an effort to remember your previous order and always welcome you with a smile and greet you like a long lost friend.

GREAT location at a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel.

This was a really comfortable and very convenient place for sightseeing in the DC area. It was clean. Beds were comfy. Bathroom had a cool shower. Housekeepers were friendly. They had some very nice and capable servers in their restaurant and the food was surprisingly good (we had breakfast there 3 times and dinner once). I don't think you can beat the location.

Love this location and the staff

The bathroom had hair on the toilet seat and water on the sink. It looked a little dirty

The room was very clean, the breakfast was satisfactory and the Manager Michael was extremely welcoming!

Perfect stay

Nothing at all

Very good location, great rooms. Staff was nice and useful with several requests we had. Valet parking was great and careful with my Alfa Romeo

Good hotel - great location - would definitely stay again.

Nothing to not like.

Perfect hotel for exploring Washington. Small gym and nice pool. Proximity to White House, Metro, buses etc for visiting Smithsonian museums etc. Great bar nearby for breakfast - didn't use hotel for food at all so cannot comment on this.

Smithsonian Vacation

The food on DC is very expensive, options like free basic breakfast and a mini kitchen to be able to cook meals in room. I thought I was going to have to panhandle on the street with all the others to be able to eat. The decrotive chair pillow on our room had drool stains on it. A heads up that our room faced a boxed in space with the air conditioners and a board room across from our room would have been nice to know ahead of time.

The location and the staff were very nice.

What we liked the most was the location of the hotel, super...

Valet parking only $47 + tax price per night was kinda expensive. Room too dark

What we liked the most was the location of the hotel, super close to everything. The friendly staff at our check in and check out.

Location would be the only reason one should pick this place. I

We’ve specifically made a booking for 5 but the hotel staff haven’t prepared an extra bed our small kid. Upon asking at the reception for an extra bed the girl said we should pay additional $25 a night which is offensive and it’s not about the money, we’ve paid almost $400 per of course we could afford another $25 but it’s just silly. They obviously didn’t want to make the effort!

The close proximity to the White House and other sightseeing spots.

- Nice room
    • King Suite

- Expensive - Air condition noisy - WiFi not working well in our suite

- Nice room - nice bathroom - good beds - good breakfast - perfect location - clean - nice people

highly recomanded
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Load on elevators. Too few elevators and too many guests

Good location, right in front of Metro. 10 min walk to the White House. Breakfast is very good

Loved Staying Here in DC

Nothing, it was fantastic! Great staff & helpful

Location, location, & location. Great value for $$$ walking distance to white house, food and shopping. The staff is amazing!

Lovely Hotel

Valet Parking was $47 + tax

Very nice hotel. Clean and well maintained. Hotel is within walking distance of National Portrait Gallery, Newmuseum, International Spy Museum, good shopping and many restaurants (less expensive and expensive). Good value for money. Wonderful front desk service. The complimentary bottle of water came in handy walking in the heat around the National parks and at the museums. There was also complimentary water in the lobby. Only bummer was Valet parking, it’s very pricey $47 per night PLUS tax.

The bathroom was flooding during the period we were staying...... and the place is a bit rundown. Not good for value for money. Probably it’s a Washington DC thing....

Great stay, great hotel, find somewhere else to park or try not to drive at all

All the elevators stopped working at the same time. People got stuck in them. Valet was ridiculously expensive and the valet staff was not very friendly, never had a smile and basically was very demanding and short.

I loved the staff, the beds were comfortable, the room was a great style, the tv channels had the best movies playing, it was quiet, classy, comfortable and very nice

Very good. Would go back when the rates are lower.

Wish breakfast was included in the rate. Kids channels are paid. The rate was very high and expected more services included.

Breakfast was delicious, just wish for the high rate it was included. Air conditioner worked great. Bed was comfortable. Very convenient for a family to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Location is great.

So happy that I stayed at this hotel.

The cost of the parking garage-$48 plus tax for overnight parking.

Felt that needing my room key to operate the elevator made me feel safer. The room was very modern. The bed was so comfortable. Location right across street to McPherson metro station made traveling so easy. The complimentary water/tea/coffee in the lobby was a nice touch. Actually had my room ready for me before the assigned check-in time (this never happened to me before-usually I have to wait until after check-in time for a room to be ready).

Great hotel in centrally placed location
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Very close to white house and other attractions. Good property with big sized rooms and very comfortable beds. However I felt the room charges are on higher side but that seems to be the case with most DC hotels. Good eating joints nearby for breakfast options.

This hotel is great value with a convenient location.

The location was great. It is right across the street from a subway station. It was within easy walking distance of many restaurants and museums. The hotel also let us check in early which was a big help. The room was nice and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

There were complimentary mineral water and coffee at the...

I asked for a room with a bathtub. Staff seemed to have searched for a room but I ended up in a room with only shower. Bathroom smelled of sewage. It was an extremely noisy place and I could not sleep at night. People were gathering on the street shouting/screaming until midnight. During the night almost every 30 minutes you can here sirens.

There were complimentary mineral water and coffee at the reception.

My stay at the hotel was lovely.

I enjoyed your breakfast very much. It had plenty to offer and the servers were very friendly. I also wish that you had more cookies at the Reception.

The bed was very nice, except I wish the washroom was slightly bigger.

Room was perfect

First hotel that i had to pay extra for parking...if you are a guess it should be included...also i didnt include breakfast...woow very disappointing

Room was perfect

My co-worker and I had a very nice, comfy but basic visit at the Hilton Garden Inn.

I thought the room was extremely basic for $469/night. It was clean and comfy, but so basic. I have frequently stayed at hotels with the same amenities for $150/night in other very popular cities.

The staff was extremely polite, respectful and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised coming into such an expensive city, I expected some snobbery. I found nothing by friendly people at every turn.

A short business trip that went off much better because I stayed at HGI.
    • King Room - Disability Access

I had requested an early arrival because I was arriving in DC early in the morning and had to prepare for a mid-afternoon business meeting. Melba at the front desk was able to arrange a 1pm room availability, which I greatly appreciated.

Washington trip

You had to pay for parking. You had to pay for a buffet breakfast. I know there is a pool on premises but I don't know where it was located. No info in room and front desk didn't info me of its location.

Location was perfect! Could walk to everything. Hotel clean and loved the room. Bathroom was nice and enjoyed the stall shower. It was nice to see a keriug coffee machine in room instead of an old fashion coffee machine

The stay was OK. The way you speak to a guest can be a deal breaker. Customer service needs improvem

I went to ask early in the day for a dessert and one of the staff members snapped at me, as she walked by me and informed me that it was close until 5:00p.m. I'm from out of town and I thought the restaurant was open all day, for lunch and I just wanted a dessert!!! Then we were thinking of staying one more night and I called early the morning of departure ( sunday) to ask for another night and the man quoted me the same price but he was rushing me off the phone if I was going to extend, if I wanted to close out the folio and do a new one or if I wanted to think about it. It was the way he said things! Customer service is all about HOW you say things! It will make a great different to hear pleasantness over the phone ( perhaps wearing a smile- fake it if you have to, than to hear s snappy sarcastic remark.) Also, the commode in my room was running water. I cloud not get the toilet handle to stay up in order for the toilet to stop filling the tank with water. It was annoying. I chose to stay another night for the first two reason. Excellent customer service is a MUST at all times. You never know who is "secret shopping" your hotel.

The hotel is OK for the price. The King bed was comfortable.

I will book here for my next stay. Great hotel.

The price of valet for overnight stays but I understand. Parking is not easy in DC so it’s a premium price. I would still pay the fee again.

Staff was amazing. Food at restaurant was fantastic. Room was super clean and comfortable. Easy to get to attractions.

Great Location and Friendly Staff for a Family Vacation to DC

Great location! It was about 2 blocks from the White House and lots of great restaurants nearby. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We forgot to buy milk for my son, and the hotel restaurant came to the rescue and gave us a free glass of milk. We enjoyed our stay very much. High recommended!

Kids loved the pool.

Front desk couldn’t find my reservation upon arrival. I had to pull up my confirmation number and it still seemed to take some time. Not the best first impression.

Kids loved the pool. Breakfast staff was very friendly.

From front desk to valet, the room and experience was lovely.

The restaurant isn't open for lunch!? No room service either. We had just come in from a race, were hungry, and wanted lunch. Wish there was at least room service at noon!

The bartender was able to answer all of our questions and get us what we needed right away.

Great location, helpful staff, lacking in a little bit of details.
    • King Suite

The housekeeping was a bit sloppy and small maintenance details were evident. As in the small fitness center, only one of the treadmills worked at a time. The housekeepers never put our pull out bed away even when we suggested it be put away, it was just left halfway out. Only one remote for two tvs in two different rooms. The breakfast was not worth the money so we went out most mornings and felt we got more delicious food for the same or less money.

The location is great and the majority of the staff are really friendly and accommodating. The rooms were recently updated and you can really tell. The look and feel is very new and very clean. The restaurant on site is great for dinner or drinks.

Enjoyable accommodation especially if you are going to the White House.

The pool water was cold and one of the reasons I booked was the pool looked so nice online. We could barely stand it to stay in with the kids. Our keurig wouldn't work so we had to wait to have coffee which I prefer as soon as I wake up.

Helpful friendly staff, location and cleanliness. Food and service were excellent and the parking valet were so very helpful.

Only a short walk to most major sites; and the rooms and staff were accommodating & friendly.

I can’t say much negative about our stay. We had to ask for extra towels. But if that’s the only thing, we won’t count it. 😁

Russell, at the valet check-in, was exceptionally friendly. We were a little stressed coming in late and being unfamiliar with the area. He was a welcoming and warm face to greet us. While all the staff was friendly, he stood out to us!

Very good! I recommend it!

Everything was great!

Staff was extremely efficient, kind and helpful. Special thanks to Priscilla in the front desk that made our stay even more comfortable. Location is also very good. Bedroom is clean and has plenty of space.

Limited drawer space only two small dress drawers. Room was clean but almost clinical. Ice machine was not working on 7th floor had to make an ice run to the 6th floor. Shower would not train back but was responded too once reported.

My family loved our stay. I would reccomend.

I was billed doubled for some reason. They fixed the mistake after I called their attention to it. But they should have a better data input since their rate can vary so much. They were charging me for 1 night what I was quoted for two.

Breakfast was fantastic. Staff were All very friendly. The room was wonderful.

The location is fantastic, the staff super helpful, and the rooms recently renovated.

I do wish they had put in a different heating system. The heater blows dry air and can be, well, drying to the skin and airways. The housekeeper did not quite take away all the used items the first day, but perhaps there was a misunderstanding.

The room was newly renovated. It had great window shades, very well laid out bathroom, nice arrangement of space. New carpeting. Great desk chair.

It was a nice stay overall but it would have been nice if the staff was approachable.

The employees were fairly rude for the entire 24 hours of my stay. I was there for a fun getaway with my husband and we were excited about having a drink at the bar so we did but the bartender was less than pleasant. He seemed old and grumpy. We asked for local dinner recommendations and he said " he clocks in and clocks out, I don't know anything about this area". That's it! I was also very confused by the random people/ employees? wearing construction vest and holding clipboards standing throughout the hotel. They didn't speak so I didn't really understand their position there. It was strange but, okay.

I really liked the location and the rooms were nice and clean.

Hotel was close to everything you could walk to the White...

Hotel was close to everything you could walk to the White House, The Mall, Lincoln Memorial the Capitol I mean really close. Will stay here again with out a doubt.

When we arrived our reservation had not been booked. The front desk staff worked with us to try to find a room at a similar price to what we originally booked. The rooms were very clean! Modern room and comfortable bed

Close & easy access to all

Extra fees on room service. Was at restaurant when they encourage room service... didn't kiw it meant cost of s simple meal would be almisr double with added fees.

Clean, proximity to sights & metro, great staff

Mike, the employee at the front desk was SUPERB!

Because the hotel is in the heart of the city, some street noise can be heard in the room at night.

Mike, the employee at the front desk was SUPERB!!!! He made sure we were well taken care of and that every part of my families experience was excellent. He is AMAZING! Our experience was wonderful and we would stay again.

Location us fantastic.

Location us fantastic. A mile from the Washington Monument and 3 blocks from the White House. Cheap fast food options in the same block and 3 outstanding restaurants within 2 blocks! Quite rooms, considering it was week of spring break. I heard good things about the restaurant on site but i would look around for a quick bite or a sit down affair. Clean rooms, updated decor set the mood for trendy DC! They held our bags while we toured the monuments and came back for them.

My stay here was comfortable.

I did NOT like that the desk agent asked me if I had a credit card because I presented with my Visa bank/check card. That is not a question that should be asked to a guest. I was highly offended. My bank account has a very substantial amount in it to have covered the cost of the hotel and beyond. My bank card should have been taken without any question as such posed, unless the card system gave negative feed back when swiped. I did not like or appreciate that at all. I have stayed at several Hilton garden inn’s in several different cities using the same bank card with no question asked as such... I also didn’t like that the bathroom door wld not say open. There was not a stopper for it to say open when not in use. Trying to get dressed/ready and make use of the bathroom, having to open it constantly was a headache... the close proximity of the bathroom door and the hotel room door did not alllow for the bathroom door to stay opened. I never experienced that before.

The doorman were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and nice decorated. The gray painted walls and wallpaper was very calming and up to date.

Hotel better than expected as a 3 star, really enjoyed my stay

Concierge staff not so friendly - no customer service when dropping my suitcases into storage on my last day. No smile/please/thank you, just ticket and go.

Room was modern Staff great Happy hour

Would stay again!

The bed was really uncomfortable and the parking was pretty expensive.

We loved how close to everything it was and the staff! Breakfast was also nice and they were great with my 2 year old son.

The staff was great.

The construction I. The room next to ours during the day

We had dinner at the restaurant twice The first meal was so good we decided to have dinner at the restaurant

Beds and pillows were very comfortable.

There was a paint odor from some of the renovated rooms. We had to move twice. The staff was very accommodating.

Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Staff was very friendly.

Overall, the hotel is just ok. I would not stay again unless I could get a really good discount.

We purchased the breakfast with our room but weren’t given the vouchers. We actually went to eat breakfast and were handed a bill. I had to leave breakfast and go to the front desk to let the staff know breakfast was included. The staff quickly retrieved our vouchers and I was able to give them to our waitress. The vouchers should have been given when we checked in. The guys over valet parking were awesome!

The breakfast was delicious and the hotel was located in the heart of downtown. Some of the Smithsonian museums are about a 0.5 mile walk.

Our stay was enjoyable. The location and property for the most part, met our expectations

Breakfast is usually complimentary in hotels. We were surprised when the waitress dropped a check of at our table. Felt a little tricky- we should have asked more questions before entering the dining room. Almost 40 dollars for a normal breakfast of eggs and bacon for 2.

The room was very clean and decor up to date.

Hilton review

The parking fee is $45 plus $8 garage tax, totaling $53 for overnight parking as a guest at the hotel.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. The hotel was close to all venues.

Great spot, walking distance from museums, white house, the...

It is being renovated. Booking.com does not say it. Very noisy. Banging sound Saturday in the day. Room smelling of paint. Rates are too high for a hotel in renovation

Great spot, walking distance from museums, white house, the mall etc. Nice rooms etc

The hotel is being renovated, meaning there is drilling...

The hotel is being renovated, meaning there is drilling noise from 9 am to 5 pm. In a working day is not a big deal but on a Saturday, this is not acceptable. There was no warning on the website about this, and the price does not reflect discounts accounting for the discomfort. The rating is mainly negative because of the noise, without that, the score would have been significantly better, the staff is friendly and professional, rooms are good, location is perfect.

My room had just been remodeled.
    • King Room - Disability Access

Remodeling construction was underway 2/3/18 so it got noisy at 9:30 am, but we were checking out anyway.

My room had just been remodeled. Loved it. Fridge and microwave are very handy. Bathroom was great. Bed was very firm and comfortable. Loved the built in bench. Love the fire in the lobby, especially on the cold DC nights.

Excellent hotel, shame for the Building Works!

The hotel was undergoing building works in several floors. This lead to it being very noisy for about 7-8 hours a day. In several occasions I was tired (and it was raining) and wanted to go back to my room to relax but didn't because the noise gave me headache. This should have been informed to me prior to my arrival at the hotel, as I would have gone somewhere else. Also, the wi-fi connection was not that good. One of the days it kept disconnecting all the time.

The personnel was remarkably kind and helpful, the best thing about the hotel! The bed was very comfortable, excellent investment in mattresses! Location is excellent (right next to the White House). Breakfast was good (though not included in price). The room was brand new, very big and well equipped.

Price gauging on the parking.

It cost $53/night including tax to valet our car. They said if we did not valet we were welcome to find street parking (impossible on a Saturday in downtown DC).

It was conveniently located across from the establishment I was going to. We went to the park at 14th and it was a 2 minute walk. Very easy in heels.

Security is very good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Swimming pool area is Very dirty. Specially swimming pool bathroom . You're not checking swim pool area . If they are it cannot be dirty. My room bathroom &shower tub is dirty and old .every white door did not clean.(Even last customer who used to the room they spilled the coffee by door and hotel are not Clean the door.

Security is very good

Location was excellent. Room was clean, but bathtub looked like it hadn't been scrubbed in a while.

Bathtub was not clean. Bed was hard. Supposedly, we were supposed to have a comfort controlled mattress, but 2 college grads were unable to locate the dial even after looking up a YouTube Video.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

i was so impressed by the service and professionalism of this hotel..

the pillows- they were awful..

the staff was outstanding, so nice and professional. they even got my son a birthday suprise.. very nice and not expected.. they went the extra mile..

Can't wait to come back!

The front desk staff were exceptional. They are doing renovation and when I checked in they upgraded me to a nice room on a high floor that had just been renovated (I asked if they had a high floor available). When I went up the room still had the odor of new paint, and I'm highly allergic, so they quickly moved me to a lower floor and told me about the renovations being done and asked if that would be a problem. They handled the renovation experience beautifully. I was pleased with the room, altho it was on the inside, it was quiet and clean. The staff was amazing! And you are in walking distance of the entire mall.

The breakfast was really good: all you can eat with lots of...

The airconditioner, which doubles as a heater, turned on every 10 minutes, which was annoying.

The breakfast was really good: all you can eat with lots of tasty options. The bed was good: not too soft and not too hard. The room was spacious and the coffee from the machine in the room was delicious.