Reviews of Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center 3 stars

6633 Travis Street, Houston, TX 77030-1308, USA

#148 of 389 hotels in Houston

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The hotel decor was drab and dated. They were in the process of remodeling. The internet was down for a brief period when we first arrived and the stopper in the bathtub didn’t work so couldn’t take a bath.

Our room was very spacious with a separate living room area. We could spread out and be very comfortable. The staff was very helpful at the front desk. We used the complimentary shuttle service to go to dinner and to our appointment in the morning

• One Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access/Bath Tub

Under renovation - dust in hallways. Fire alarm at 2am. Nobody at the front desk, no response from fire department, no organization from hotel. Alarm stopped ringing after 20 minutes and we eventually went back to our rooms with no official "all-clear". Strikes me as quite negligeant.

Location is great. Room itself was very comfortable.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The hotel is undergoing renovations (March 2018). This should be highlighted in the description. Also, I had booked a one bedroom suite so that I could work while my family slept but the suites were not available due to the renovations. The hotel is nice, the room super clean, the pool area quite nice, bed is comfortable, shower is great. But the renovation thing - there should be a notice about it so that people can make an informed decision.

The AC was very old, loud and did not work properly. The room was hot and uncomfortable. I booked through Booking,com but was told by the hotel that our room cost would be refunded by Booking .com

The hotel was clean and the location ideal. If I had AC worked, I would have given it very good reviews.

No supply of complimentary bottle water. Ended up with buying it at the bar because the lobby shop was closed.

Room is nice and clean. Staff are helpful.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The bed was extremely comfortable. We did not have breakfast at the hotel so the coffee was in our room -- an amenity we like. The hotel shuttle is a great amenity and one of the things that makes this Hilton a fabulous place to stay.

• Deluxe King Suite with View

The television reception was extremely poor. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. I had to go to a different floor to get ice (even though there was a sign on my floor stating there was an ice machine).

The bartender knew how to make a good Old Fashioned! The clerk at check in was super friendly! The room size was great! I had no problem obtaining a late check out (although I ultimately did not need it).

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Had double beds - lots of room for queens Bathrooms need updating Very expensive for what you get and location - gouge you No airport shuttle Lots of construction in the building - dust and noise

The room itself was nice & spacious Fresh water in lobby

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

I was not given a receipt when I checked out. They stated that booking.com would send me a receipt. I have not received one. Please send me the receipt.

Staff.

We had to change rooms 3 times and after the 2nd issue, the staff were not helpful and told us we would have to pay a higher rate. (We refused). 1st room, AC rattled very loudly. 2nd room, reeked of paint fumes, dirty and blinds didnt work (full view of pool and loungers) Note: This hotel is under renovations, had I known this, I would not have booked it.

The bed was super comfy.

• One Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access/Bath Tub

Room was spacious and comfortable. Bed wasn't too hard and there were enough pillows. Pool facilities are very nice and the restaurant has good service and a decent menu. Overall a well-maintained full-service hotel.

Construction going on in building all day. Awful smell of mildew or mold in the room. Antiquated air conditioning system that was very loud. Terrible internet service. I asked to reboot the system and it still had trouble.

Close to medical center wher I needed to go. Friendly staff Good exercise room open 24 hours. Rooftop pool and terrace also nice. I did not try the dining room but I appreciate that they offered a grilled vegetable plate along with meat options. That helps vegetarians like me.

see above

Great Staff and comfortable room. It would have been nice to have a microwave in the suite and it really would have been nice to have been told in advance that I was going to pay 15.00 a night for parking.

The gift shop was rarely open the entire time we were there. Ice machines are not on all floors.

All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The shuttle services and the shuttle drivers themselves were wonderful!

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Tub would not stop up and ac came on and off too often then stayed off so long the room got too warm.

Very comfortable and beautiful view. Loved the 2 bath room.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Pleasantly surprised that the hotel shuttle took us to and from the museums, zoo, and even outside restaurants! We did not drive our car at all during our trip. Also pleasantly surprised that the room actually had a separate sitting area from the bedroom. Plus 2 toilet areas.

1. They don't offer toothpaste. 2. My room has a door connected to the neighbor room. I can open the door and see there is another door locked in the neighbor room.

inconvenient parking for midsize SUV because of strict height clearance and TOO SLOW WiFi

Comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and quite roomy tasty breakfast

No towels or staff at the pool when I visited. Service in the Garden Court on Sunday morning was a bit spotty -- under-staffed, so not the fault of the staff.

The free shuttle service for anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel was very useful! Front desk staff were wonderful. Enjoyed the pool too.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Coffee. Ugh. And room service pre-order of breakfast for two, including coffee, delivered only one cup of coffee. We had expected a carafe. We had to resort to the in-room coffee maker...yuk. Updates would make the space perfect...a wall mounted 5x mirror for makeup application, for instance!

Our check in with Willie (?) was amazing. What a friendly, welcoming guy. The room had a spectacular view of Rice U (we were there for graduation-extra points to guest services!), as well as the Houston skyline. Our room was spectacularly huge and this rating would be a 10 if the space didn't need a little updating. But, for the price...we'll take a view and space and friendliness over updates!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Two major outlets (bathroom and coffee machine) were not working. The room was recently remodeled, which was great, however I do not think they were finished. Some if the shower ceiling was peeling off.

The bed was amazing. Best sleep I've had in a long time! Joy at the front desk was fantastic!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

The room was TOO quiet, which made it difficult to sleep. Up-right fans, separate from the AC unit would have made for the perfect amount of sound, which would have made for an excellent nights sleep.

The room was nice and offered plenty of pillows. The furniture was comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

the suite we were given on the top floor was large but dated and we were not able to have a cot in the room which would have been nice since we had plenty of room, but apparently it was a "fire hazard"

the pool and lounging area was great!

• One-Bedroom King Suite

I thought the selection of food was not very exciting. The food was good, and well prepared but nothing out of the ordinary. I was not very impress with the Bar I had a jack and coke and the coke was flat, it had been opened for a while I saw the bartender remove the open can from the cooler.

The staff was great and very friendly

Parking. No parking for trucks. I drive a 1 ton flatbed Dodge dually, first night tried parking garage @ $12, nightmare, nearly impossible to park, hit two columns, had to jump curbs to maneuver turns. To get out had to drive to upper level to turn around, a little easier getting out. Next night was told I could park a across street, got stuck and had to be pulled out, another expense. That morning an employee informed me I could have parked on street in front of hotel, why wasn't I told this. When booking nothing mentioned about parking situation. We were here for the stock show, will not stay here again. Stay in lots of better places for a lot less heartache.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Parking garage

Loved how big the room was and that the living area was somewhat separated from bedroom area. Having 1 1/2 baths was perfect! This hotel was excellent! The only problem we had was with the parking garage. We drive a dually and there was no where to turn around and parking spots were not large enough. Otherwise, loved our stay!

The hotel double debited my account causing me problems with my checking account. Watch how they charge your card, no other hotel has ever done this to me.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

There was no valet parking; parking garage was intimidating and we could not find our way out; there was no one to help us with our luggage, my husband is handicapped so I was left to take care of the luggage alone; dead bolt on the door to our room did not work; not enough lighting in the room; air conditioning did not cool enough and was extremely loud; room service food was overcooked.

The staff at the breakfast buffet were very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access/Bath Tub

A warm comforter between two sheets is too hot! Especially in Houston. How about a light weight blanket? Hairdryer did not work in the bathroom outlets. It did work in the outlets at the base of the lamps. The hot water supply line was turned off in the bathroom. I turned it on and noticed a leak, so turned it off. Time for maintenance. Are towel bars passe? Where do you want guests to hang up wet towels and face cloths? WiFi did not work.:(

The mattress was very comfortable. Very spacious and comfortable suite.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Room was not ready for 3:00 pm check-in. Staff didn't care but manager was so nice to get us in fairly quickly. Construction over room on 10th floor.

The King Suite set up and spectacular room service. The food was excellent.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Electrical outlet in main bathroom didn't work, the ONE clock did not work, and telephones did not work. Disappointed that shuttle service only covered two mile radius of hotel.

Comfy beds, roomy, shuttle service (and driver Louis!),

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Although it was clean and staff were nice, the accommodations weren't any more nicer than a Holiday Inn or Something considered a lower scale hotel.

It was ok for a Hilton. I expected it to be a lot nicer accommodations then what they were.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Only downfall----no 24 hour food service on site, and a little far to walk for food options, late night.

Front desk staff was extremely polite, friendly and helpful during entire stay. Room was perfect for our group of 4 friends. Will definitely come back!

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Parking is expensive $12 daily and garbage in the parking lot were always full and dirty

Easy to arrive and close to Main Street. Tv channels work just fine

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

No security cameras on all floors of parking garage and inadequate cameras at entrances and especially exits. Not enough linens in the room...

Bed and room very nice

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

There is no place in bathroom to place accessory bag for toothbrush etc to get ready in the morning. The wood around bed is hazardous-we hit our feet several times as we were getting ready for bed. Pillows smelled bad and we had to ask for fresh pillows to be brought in.

Modern & updated

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

I was surprised the next morning to find that all of the coffee provided was decaf and one of the two paper cups for said coffee had been used. I then ordered a pot of coffee from room service which was fine if pricey. ($17.00) I told the front desk at checkout and they apologized but I feel they should have removed the charge for the coffee.

Overall, I Enjoyed my stay. The room was clean. I had to remind the desk to call housekeeping for the rollout bed.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Vending machines were not stocked. Parking garage was crazy. I've never seen a garage with 2 way traffic. I actually dented my vehicle when 2 cars tried to pass a narrow section.

The room was bery clean.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

I had to call the front desk every time I left the parking garage so they can reprogram my parking ticket to work at the exit gate. Every time they told me that it's programmed and it will work until my check out time. It was annoying. There was a small shop which was closed all the time. It's an average old hotel. Too much for the money. Couldn't buy small things. Nothing near by. Not enough staff at the front desk. One time I was there for 15 minutes before someone showed up. $12 dollars parking a day wasn't told in advance.

I am glad it was a short stay.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The building is very old, funiture old. Did not like the room set up. I guess I paid $139 per night for the location and not the niceness of the hotel.

The room service was on time with meals

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Woefully understaffed. Just one guy during the day on the weekend to be bellman, valet parker, and shuttle bus driver; they did not even have him at night, which meant the poor lady by herself at the front desk had to valet park cars. When I had to leave (during the day, while the guy was driving the shuttle), I was just given my keys and told to try to find my car in the parking garage, without any indication of where it was parked (because there was also only one lady at the desk, for a long line of guests).

Room service was consistently quick and good.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

When asked for an extended check out time after 4 days at this hotel, due to my father in law being removed from life support 2 hours before check out, we were rudely told there were no we had to be out by noon. I was unable to be with my family during this time because I had to leave them to gather our clothes. Being that close to so many medical facilities we assumed they would have some compassion.

Close to MD Anderson hospital where my father in law was in ICU

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access Roll in Shower

No magnifying makeup mirror in bathroom !!! A Lamp bedside did not work...Room 1601.

Easy access, helpful and friendly staff, comfortable environment, one thing needed is makeup mirror in bathrooms.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Some items on the building were torn, or not very clean, giving a bad appearance to the place.

Very close to the medical center, nice offer of complementary shuttle service, and all the staff was nice, attentive and helpful.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

I did have to pay $12 a night for parking and the AC in the room would automatically shut itself off after a certain amount of time, so we did wake up a couple times from being uncomfortably warm.

The staff was really nice, the shuttle was helpful, the room had all the amenities, everything was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and the pool was super clean!

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The room was very nice, but the AC did not work well so it was very clammy. The thermostats seem to be programmed so the temps appear lower than it really is. I walked into a hot 65 degree room and I was never really cool. You are also required to pay $12 if you decide to park in the garage and not risk leaving your car on an adjacent street.

There are a lot of amenities on the premises including a lounge, bar, and restaurant. It also has a really nice terrace and pool situated next to each other. The hotel is located on a quiet non-traveled street.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Fruit flies/gnats in the restaurant.

Free shuttle service every half hour to the Med Center and any other location in a 2 mi radius is a huge plus!

a really cold ac in the room

could not get the room to cool off

The wifi wasn't working

Nice staff

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Super clean, the beds are extra comfy.

Cost of parking.

Comfort of room and spacious double suite for 3 adults.

The breakfast buffet was okay. I had some cantaloupe that had gone rancid.

The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable and clean.

Restaurant and construction. Sawdust in the air, and we are here for medical reasons. Not good

Location and mattress

The facility had construction going on so no pool or fitness room.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Complementary breakfast should have been included. Food serve in the hotel was quite pricy.

The room was good. A microwave would have been nice.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Consistent problems with internet access. Charged my card twice, so I had to file a claim to my bank.

Bed,swimming pool,staff

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Transportation from hospital to hotel. Waited one hour and it never arrived. Walked back to hotel.

very good

customer service

Everything but customer service

• Deluxe King Suite with View

Bedroom side of suite wouldn't cool very well

• Deluxe Suite with Two Double Beds and View

• Deluxe Suite with Two Double Beds and View

No lotion no wash no mouthwash soap just shampoo. For this amount of money all this should have bren in room.

Room was very spacious

The people were quite helpful and polite. I was totally pleased with everything.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Both days I requested wake up call and didn't get it either day.

THe bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Everything in the room was tired and in need of refurbishing. The furniture, the carpet, etc. Worst of all, the room smelled terrible.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Stayed only for one night. The hotel is excellent, with very large rooms. The staff was great. Would definitely come back.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The toilet was not flushing

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Willis made the trip wonderful. A great concierge and general manager. Amazing service.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

The quality and options for breakfast were not great.

The room was large, one bedroom double suite with 2 bathrooms which was a bonus.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Very tight drive into the parking garage for SUV

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Available shower cap in room, waste baskets need to be larger

Friendly staff,prompt room service, excellent menu

• One-Bedroom Double Suite with Two Double Beds

Beds and a/c wouldn't cool room

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Ice machine not working.

Location and overall service.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

A/C WAS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. HOT

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

lack of internet access, even with "wifi" or Hilton honors, one could not access a magazine.

Browse Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center traveller photo gallery