Reviews of Hilton Madison Monona Terrace 3 stars

9 East Wilson Street, Madison, WI 53703, USA

#18 of 55 hotels in Madison

Good location, bad service.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

Front desk staff and their attitude.

Over priced with facilities not commiserate with the price. Front desk staff is unfriendly to non-american guests.

The bathroom floor wasn’t properly washed.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

The bathroom floor wasn’t properly washed. The door knob to the bathroom was broken. The HVAC unit was so loud it was difficult to sleep. I felt it was petty to nickel and dime me for WiFi access.

For the price n experience of stay I was Better off at a bed n breakfast inn

I was charged with out checking in so when I went to check in my card declined 3 times before I realized that they already charged me so I had to go to a bank and transfer money n it was just a hazle plus me request of extra beds weren’t met till I called back down to remind them. The cleaning staff woke us up by cleaning rooms at 8 am .

The view

The beds were a big turn off - I probably will stay elsewhere that offers at least queen sized beds.
    • Double Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

The beds were ridiculously small. Double beds? Cmon. They felt more like they were super singles. I think The Hilton should have no less than queen sized beds in any room they have.

The hotel common areas and our room were super clean! And I appreciated the refreshments served in the lobby upon our arrival...that was a nice touch.

Great spot to stay for easy access to all of the fun places downtown Madison has to offer!
    • Double Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

The elevators were either really busy or really slow. We spent a lot of time waiting for the elevators.

Great location and awesome views of the capitol and the lake.

Staff was wonderful, well trained and met all expectations.

King size room old and outdated.

Bar was convenient as well as "Chop House" restaurant. Location is good as it is downtown and a few blocks from the state capitol. Stayed here as it was the best price downtown. Would not say it was wonderful enough to not check out the other hotels downtown.

Location, hard this time to get to them because of...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

We had a big issue with Check-In. We did arrive before the Check-In time and the room wasn’t available which was fine we understood (1:15pm) we parked the car and went on a walk exploring the new stores in the area we haven’t been before. We came back about 3:20pm(Check-In time was 3:00pm) and our room wasn’t ready. FD staff offered us to get a smaller room that was ready at a reduced charge, since it was a lake view and we decided to take it even though our original room would be ready on 20 minutes. We went to this room and it was horrible, old, stained walls, dirty bathroom, just overall tired and depressing. So we decided since it was now at least 20 minutes later our booked room should be ready so went back down . Very long story short we had to wait another hour to get our original room even though they called for a rush. They gave us two drink tickets for the bar and two breakfast tickets so that was nice. The new room was bigger and more updated however not cleaned very well at all. Hair around the room not fully vaccuumed, some sort of gel on the table with the phone, etc. all obvious things that even if you spot cleaned you would see, we weren’t looking for dirty things, they were front and center, we felt they just wiped down things and made the beds basically..we would go back though even with all of these problems, but we would look for another hotel first and use this as a back up due to location

Location, hard this time to get to them because of construction but otherwise good walking distance to everything

Great location. Otherwise- only so-so. Overpriced for what you get, other than location.

The front desk staff were unfriendly, which has happened both times we've stayed. The parking is horrible- we paid for parking and the lot was full- inconvenient to get back inside and try to figure out parking.

Location is great for downtown activities, which is what we were there for.

Great Location and Service
    • Double Room with Lake View

Our only complaint was an alarm going off near our room by the vending machines. We called the front desk and they said they'd look into it but it was on all night through check-out the next day. I mentioned it at checkout and they were nice enough to comp our valet parking but I hope they stopped the noise for the next customer's sake.

It was located right where we wanted to be.

There’s a big hole in the ground it outside her window my...
    • King Room Accesible with Roll-In Shower

I like the location in the drivers who took us where we needed to go I did not like that there were socks in the bed that were not ours.

There’s a big hole in the ground it outside her window my husband was entertained by all the machinery

Great location and comfortable room with a fridge
    • King Room with Lake View

A wedding party was staying near us and there were lots of late night doors slams and loud room parties.

The location is great- right by all the restaurants on Capital square and a short walk from campus.

We had a very mediocre experience.

Our reservation “did not exist” because the employee on the Hilton side did not finish the process to confirm the reservation. It was a 45 minute process to figure out what had happened and actually get a room. The fire alarm was falsely pulled at 1:30am, which is obviously not the hotels fault. But, my partner was grabbed by a guest in the elevator who appeared to have been on drugs and/or drunk, which was frightening.

We went to a charity event in the convention center so it was nice and close. Most of the staff were kind and attempted to be helpful.

The room was comfortable, clean, and well-decorated.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

We had a room with an accessible bathroom, and when you used the shower, the water went all over the floor. So we spent a fair amount of time cleaning up water each time we showered. There was a seating area with a nice couch, footstool, and flat screen TV in the room. However, there was a fan right in front of the TV that blew cold air onto us that we were not able to turn off. So, we didn't end up using that part of the room at all.

The room was comfortable, clean, and well-decorated. The wi-fi worked great.

The email confirmation from Booking.

The email confirmation from Booking.com led me to believe breakfast was included because it stated that lunch & dinner were not included. For breakfast it stated up to $15.00 for breakfast which I thought meant we could have up to a $15 breakfast included in the room rate.

Would try here again.
    • Deluxe King Room with Lake View

I use to clean for a living, so that said... Room had a few issues. Piece of trash on the floor on bathroom under the sink. Piece of trash on the floor under the table by the couch. Tried moving the tv by the bed to see it better, it doesn't come out for better viewing & hasn't been cleaned behind there in a very long time. Please teach them how to put bags in the trash can. They leave them with a big air pocket and your trash just falls off the bag onto the floor. Just sayin. Doors close very loud, can hear everyone else's doors shut very loudly.

Staff was friendly. Room was spacious.

Location, view, and room size were great.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

Noisy old AC Heater unit. TV news channels were blocked. Rooms and lobby areas need updating. Old wallpaper and furniture.

Location, view, and room size were great.

The room was nice and the beds very comfortable.

There was NO parking so I had to leave it with valet . Was charged $17 on my bill for parking. Was not aware of these charges.

The room was nice and the beds very comfortable. The shuttle and valet were nice to have. The staff was very friendly.

Enjoyable.
    • Double Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our room had a lake view and it was spectacular, especially at sunrise! The location is within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and museums.

Despite friendly staff, the stay was disappointing
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

Water pressure was terrible; water tasted terrible, yet only bottled water option was Fiji for $3.50 per bottle (a lesser brand should have been provided complimentary); parking difficult...in fact we had to park 2 blocks away one night (the parking was then comped, but it was still an inconvenience); the cooling system seemed archaic and super loud, with no way to turn off fan and keep air going; lighting in the room terrible, i.e. not in the right spots and the light by the bed super bright, and only light in bathroom also super bright; no complimentary coffee...must go to lounge and pay more than $3 for cup of coffee...for price of this hotel that is unacceptable

Staff was very friendly and helpful; beds and pillows were pretty comfortable; hotel room was roomy; able to bring dog

The location and the pillows.

I reserved a King Bed room and they had none left when I checked in. Disappointing. Staff seemed stretched. It was hard to order a drink, get service in restaurant or valet, and it was very expensive.

The location and the pillows.

Great hotel with a great staff.

Nothing everything was great.

Everything about this hotel is great. The most pet friendly luxury hotel chain in the business. Made me and my child (a 7 year old tea cup chihuahua) feel like we were at home for entire stay. Great room with view of lake to get my creative juices flowing again. Absolutely will always stay here when I'm in Madison.

Made my Labor Day weekend in Madison well beyond what I thought it would be.
    • King Room Accesible with Roll-In Shower

Nothing. Every time I'm in this hotel I never have a problem.

Absolutely the best hotel in Madison. From the start to the end the staff at the hotel goes above and beyond to make u feel at home and special. They are the best hotel to go to if u travel with the company of your pets. They leave dog treats and water in the lobby to make even the dog feel like this is their home for the time they are in Madison at the Hilton. If your lucky enough to get views of the Lake take time to sit and stare out of the window and find the creative side of u all over again. The chop house is magnificent and very fast service if u know exactly what u want and they are not that busy. Was given rides all over downtown Madison for free with tip. The bathrooms in the king rooms are some of the best I've been in. The beds from king to singles are very comfy and well taken care of. This is by far one of my favorite hotels to visit. Every time is a great time. GO BADGERS! #wiscONsin #hiltonbadgers

Very good hotel.

Actually nothing.

Very good hotel. The location is just in the center of Madison, very close to all main attractions and great restaurants. The lake is just behind the hotel and the view is amazing. The rooms are very clean and spacious and very good room amenities. Comfortable beds. The stuff was very friendly and welcoming. Nice bar and restaurant. I enjoyed to stay there and would recommend it.

As ever, really great staff and excellent location. The best food I've ever had in a hotel!
    • Double Room with Lake View

Excellent food - the chef is superb and the staff in the restaurant and bar are very, very good - Logan and Amanda in particular. The restaurant really needs more local marketing as its a shame to have such a talented chef and not a full house - consider renaming it from the 'Chop House' - it doesn't do the food justice!

The location is excellent
    • Deluxe King Room with Lake View

the value of many is high compared to other cities (small city), the breakfast is not good, the housing keeping is average and they didn't provide water.

The location is excellent

Best place to stay in Madison. We plan to stay there every time in the future.
    • King Room with Lake View

I hate paying for parking. But paying for parking I guess is just normal for a hotel like this in a city. However they comped us for parking so I guess that was great as well!

Rooms beautiful, Staff wonderful, location is best in the city, price quite reasonable.

Don't think my room was even cleaned before I got there.

Trim was laying on the ground. 6th floor was hot and muggy with things laying around the carpet. Cupboards and handles were dirty with some sort of cheese. There was hair all over in the bathroom.

Location and view.

Very nice stay & convenient location!
    • King Room with Lake View

Unfortunately, the hotel shuttle could only drive me one way to an appointment. This was due to a wedding. However, they did cover the cost of the taxi driver I had to get. It was only a slight inconvenience.

The bed was really cozy, soft nice pillows. It was a very comfortable room. The staff was accommodating and helped out with a shuttle to a local appointment. The hotel was busy, but quiet at night & in the morning. Awesome location to go to farmers market! It was overall an enjoyable stay!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

The staff was kind and helpful

The noise from the air conditioner was awful, I called reception, but they only suggested earplugs... My room aircon was switched off, but the next room aircon was hammering away, so not a good experience...

The staff was kind and helpful

no free wifi, no free continental breakfast

no free wifi, no free continental breakfast

If you could clone Alex, the world would be a better place.

A microwave would have been nice.

Alex at the front desk was AMAZING. Give her a raise.

Nice good location.
    • King Room with Lake View

There was a loud motor running all the time outside the room, may have been another building but it was loud.

The view of lake was great.

Made a quick last minute reservation and everyone was very accommodating

The bed was extremely comfortable, which was great after a 6 hour flight!

Parking ramp gate malfunctioned both ways

Parking ramp gate malfunctioned both ways

Hotel was in walking distance from every thing we needed

The people on our floor party all night and were very loud

Hotel was in walking distance from every thing we needed

Hung over.
    • King Room - Disability Access

Lost my wedding band somewhere in Madison, but that’s no ones fault but my own.

Bar was nice!

Great girls' weekend away spent in Madison.

The hot tub could have been a little warmer.

Breakfast was good, comfy pillows and beds, friendly and helpful staff.

Very happy
    • Corner King Room

Hospitality of staff

Hilton Honors member, but won't stay at this location again

facilities maintenanace

Breakfast great

Always a great time, staff are pleasant and helpful.
    • King Room with Lake View

Always a great time, staff are pleasant and helpful. I never regret staying.

Had a blast

Shower was too small. The bar closed too early.

I loved the valet parking. The bed is extremely comfortable. The shuttle was amazing

Had more parking space

Had more parking space

It was a great place to stay and loved it was pet friendly.

Parking was $17. Seemed a little steep.

Pet friendly! Staff was nice, it was downtown close to most places and very clean.

The view was spectacular.

The view was spectacular. Service was great. Super clean

The staff was super friendly and everything was very...
    • King Room with Lake View

The staff was super friendly and everything was very convenient. The location was great, just a short walk from the capital.

Amazing!!!!

Parking!

We upgraded for a small amount, gave us more room and we so LOVE IT!!!!

Very nice
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

There was a distinct sound of running water and pipes that were nosiy throuout the stay

Staff was great

Rate was way too high

Rate was way too high

Great place to stay in the middle of everything in Madison.
    • King Room with Lake View

Can't think of anything specific?

Fantastic staff in the restaurant. Great central location in Madison and a wonderful view.

Concierge service needs improvement.

Concierge service needs improvement.

Staff was eager to assist.

Staff was eager to assist. Eric was ready to serve.

Poor quality of breakfast

Excellent hotel

Won't go back. Disapppointement
    • Double Room with Lake View

Staff is unprofessional at the check in. Beds are very small and uncomfortable.

Nice view.

Great location / friendly staff

Breakfast buffet was missing many items but filled when we asked for it.

Good location / Happy friendly staff / amazing view.

I am now a Hilton fan

Just parking off property I am a Hilton fan

We liked it so much we booked at the Hilton in Milwaukee near the airport.

Everyone was very helpful.

Everyone was very helpful.

Excellent location and view.
    • King Room with Lake View

Excellent location to the Conference Centre. Excellent View.

Perfect place in Madison.
    • Deluxe King Room with Lake View

Beautiful view from our room. Great hotel!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Excellent Hotel
    • Double Room with Lake View

Parking was a little tight/full.

Very comfortable and loved the view of the lake and cafe over the lake.

No Room for us upon arrival.
    • King Room - Disability Access

They booked our room, and didn't have one for us.

They bought us a hotel room at Best Western.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Absolutely fantastic

Everything was perfect.

There are no microwaves in the room but the staff will quickly send on to your room if you need it!

Excellent, look foward to staying again
    • Deluxe Double Room with Lake View

Was very happy with the service and facility

The morning buffet was an awesome value at 1495.

Bloody Mary at the bar onsite was horrible.

The morning buffet was an awesome value at 1495. Amazing fresh fruit as well as made to order omelette.

It was close to the show I was seeing!

The comfort of the beds The pool size

The view

Friendly staff and quick response to guest needs,...
    • Double Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

Have to pay for parking, air conditioning is not cooling the room.

Friendly staff and quick response to guest needs, overlooking the river.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Convenient, clean and helpful
    • King Room with Lake View

Had a sky walk to convention center, valet was cheap only $20!

Tesla charger

Bathroom old, not clean enough

Nice lobby, underground parking. Tesla chargers

Ok but have stayed at better in Madison for cheaper.

Bathroom floor was dirty. Couldn't get hot water in the morning. Lots of crying and screaming babies.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

The dog barking above us

The dog barking above us

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Nice room.

Dirty cleaning rag left in shower.

Nice room. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Relaxing, comfortable and clean.

My corner room had a very UGLY view of exhaust vents from one set of windows.

My corner room had a beautiful view of the lake from one set of windows.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Great place to stay in Madison

Shower tile could use some grouting.

Great omlette. Welcome place to stay.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Awesome location and beautiful view from the 11th floor,...
    • Double Room - Disability Access with Bathtub

Awesome location and beautiful view from the 11th floor, lake side.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Fantastic hotel, located just off Lake Monona.

Everything was great!

Beautiful hotel, great location. The staff was always helpful and friendly.. We would definitely book this hotel again!