Reviews of Hilton Milwaukee City Center 4 stars

509 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53203, USA

#18 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee

• King Room - Disability Access

We paid $170 plus tax, plus parking ($28) for the night we were there. The king sized bed was clean, but was so eroded and worn that it felt like we were going to fold up in it! The A/C unit was so noisy, it kept us from sleeping well. Maintenance never made it there to fix it and we were not given the option of switching rooms. Lastly, and ladies you know how important this is, there was no hair dryer. The desk staff asked me to look for it one more time and said he’d send one up shortly. 1.5 hours and 2 calls later, I still had no hair dryer. These may seem like small things but when you pay $200 a night, these are things you shouldn’t have to deal with.

I have stayed at this Hilton for years. I’m not sure why I do, anymore. I feel that it has really gone down hill in the past couple of years. You can’t beat the location but it’s not worth the price anymore.

No free parking, wanted to charge me $28 to park my car to stay overnight No pool No hot tub No complimentary coffee or lite breakfast in the morning Charged $40 for a fee, was not aware of this until seen my debit card charged, inquired and they said it would be credited back in 24 hours, still no credit. The bathroom always had a fowl smell. There were pop machines, but no ice machine. Walked outside hotel to find downtown restaurant and there were homeless people sitting

Hotel looks very old. Needs updating. Tiny room. Even tinier bathroom. One bell man wasn't enough for such a big hotel. Had to wait 30 mins for my bags to be delivered to my car.

Starbucks, pubs and restaurants at the hotel. Good location. Convenient parking but 25$ per night is on the pricey side.

• King Room - Disability Access

The front desk was disorganized, made several mistakes that caused us a big inconvenience. Then the front desk manager was rude, condescending, and not the least bit helpful. Not how a guest should be treated after the desk made the errors.

My experience at this Hotel was awful! The front desk initially screwed up my reservation, giving me 2 rooms that each had one king bed when I had reserved one of the rooms with 2 beds. I immediately went down to the front desk and they gave me a different 2nd room. No problem. The next day, security came to my second room and said there had been a mistake and that they did not have my identification on file for the 2nd room. I explained the mistake and he took my info. No problem. A couple hours later, my adult children's keys would not work for that room. They went down to the desk and were told that they had been locked out of the room because they didn't have a credit card on file for that room. I had already paid for the room, and provided a credit card. They put a $200 hold on my daughter's card. I went to the desk to explain that they had my card, and had, in fact, already charged me for my room. The very smug, rude front desk manager told me that there was nothing they could do about that, and that my daughter would get her money back on her card in a couple of days. I told him that was not an acceptable answer. He got very rude and told me that we had our luggage in a 3rd room. This is a room that we were never assigned, given keys for, or had never even entered. He spoke to me like I was trying to pull some sort of scam. All of this due to their many mistakes. The Hotel was also full to capacity during our stay, yet some of the hotel's restaurants were closed at random times throughout the weekend. I expected more from a Hilton hotel. I will never stay at the Milwaukee City Center again!

Lockers was not working. Vending machine pending which was not useful was not refunded. Gym facilities are poor. Aircondioner was making lot of noise. Poor response to customers request for service. Extremely dissatisfied with facility. Do not recommend.

no information provided upon arrival concerning parking - as a result, when leaving after our ONE night stay, we were charged $44 - finding out only from the parking attendant that had front desk explained the "system" for events to us, we would have paid $20. Sorry, but this is not something a guest should have to inquire about - just very poor communications by hotel desk staff. Additionally, our room had cobwebs in ceiling, a very old and noisy air conditioner unit, and mattresses were so soft even our 12-year old granddaughter got a sore back.

location connected to Wisconsin Center made access to our venues easy; downstairs bare/grill staff provided excellent service and recommendations

• King Room - Disability Access

The room was advertised as having double *king* beds-- the beds were actually *double* beds, a big difference. The room also purported to be handicapped-accessible. That was also not the case-- getting around the door was tight for standing people, forget a wheelchair.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Room was a bit smelly and way to hot even lowering temperature didn’t help so stuffy, and someone we spoke with said the exact same thing about their room. Stayed once before and smell in room so bad that time we asked for a different room, which we got, but was a bit disappointing that second time around room kinda smelled again.....didn’t request room change this time as not as overwhelming as last stay

Good location great bartender

We had to pay to park in the garage even though staying at the hotel and we attended the event in which they provided parking to. A parking discount would be nice at a minimum.

We were in town for a concert. Walking was so convenient. The staff was great and check in quick. Room was very comfortable although bathroom was very small for even one. Would stay again

Only 1 bath towel provided. Poor lighting. The AC was not working; I set the thermostat at the lowest possible number, and still it was in the mid 70s in the room, so I ended up having to open a window instead.

Comfortable bed. Nice room, good size.

No shades of any type on French doors separating suite from living space. Breakfast buffet not up to par with other similar properties. A bit dirty and food just not that good.

Location. Got a junior suite at a great price which made it easier with kids.

Rooms, especially bathroom was very small. Cleanliness was ok at best. Lamps, pillows and shower curtain were full of stains, not typical of Hilton or Midwest hotels in general.

Convenience of being connected to the Wisconsin Center

The heater in our room did not work. The night staff couldn't seem to deal with it so was cold over the night. The next day an engineer came and fixed it. It ran fine then except that it was extremely loud

Room was good, check in was great, parking easy overall good

My room didn't have a fridge (not all rooms are created equal, in this respect). This would have been good to know going in. However, the hotel was able to provide me with a fridge upon request, which was really appreciated.

Rooms were comfortable. Hotel's Skywalk connection to Wisconsin Center was really great.

I was disappointed to have to carry my luggage instead of having help. Once I had so much to carry, I had to ASK for help. Other than that, the overall experience was very nice.

The location is perfect as I was visiting my granddaughter in Marquette. The staff was friendly and welcoming.

Hilton Canx'd my reservation and the manager let me know that I should have booked direct..He would not assist me at all ! Booking.com had my back as always!!

Great support staff

• Deluxe Double Room

I paid extra for all night parking in the garage (despite me asking if parking on the street was okay) but the street parking was available all over. When I went to retrieve my car in the parking garage the next day... I couldn’t get to the area with the elevator. I was way too annoyed with the key card and getting back into the park Garage.

The bathroom was very small and the toilets need to be updated

We had a corner room and it was very roomy; the bathroom was small but the room was very nice; the bed was very comfortable; the decor was also very nice and the floor we stayed on was extremely quiet.

My husband and I wanted a weekend getaway in Milwaukee. We booked through Booking, as we have done many times in the past. For some reason, when Hilton ran my card when I made the reservation (which is valid and I ultimately used to pay them), the payment was declined. They proceeded to cancel my reservation, but did not contact booking, nor did they contact me. My reservation was active on Booking. When we got to the hotel, we were told our reservation had been canceled because Booking called and told them to cancel it. This was a lie - to our face - as Booking does not deal with payments. They ultimately accommodated, but the Manager and the receptionist nonetheless lied to my face about why my reservation had been cancelled. When Booking contacted Hilton (ultimately, the email was forwarded to me), Hilton told them they had emailed me to let me know about the cancelled reservation. There is no record of that. Another lie. I am putting this out there because I have never encountered this level of utter lying from hotel staff / management in my life. Horribly unprofessional and reflects poorly on Hilton in general. I have been having trouble getting in touch with them, so I hope someone higher up reads this.

The hotel itself was nice.

• King Room - Disability Access

Booked 2 King room with 2 king beds in them and apparently Hilton City Center Milwaukee has never had a room with 2 king beds. At first they couldn't even find our Booking.com reservation, we ended up in a room with 1 king bed and a sofa sleeper and in 1 of the rooms the king bed frame was broken and the head of the bed was about 6"inches lower than the foot of the bed. WORST NIGHT SLEEP EVER !!!! We were given a whooping $5 off our bill.

Beautiful Hotel in Great Location !!! Great restaurant and convenient Skywalk

• King Room - Disability Access

Booking.com listed the room as two king beds. When we checked in the room had one king bed so they put us in another room with two beds but they weren’t king size beds. Only negative to the trip.

How the property was maintained; the asset potentiality and location is very high compared to the status that we experienced. Also, we had a bad experience in the check out as they had charged us for an upgrade to a corner room though we did not have a corner room

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

the staff is very bad and room conditions is bad to i don't have A/C in my room for two days and the staff guys they said they can't move to other room i don't recommend this hotel please and they said is 4 star but 4 star TRASH

• Superior Room

No food options past midnight and no little store inside hotel to purchase snacks from, plus the one vending machine was basically empty and never restocked. Room was not the greatest. Bathroom door was broken and wouldn't close. Whole hotel seems kinda rundown and needed some updating. Seemed like a beautiful hotel 10 years ago but like nothing has been replaced since then.

Chophouse was delicious, puppy concierge was adorable, staff was nice and accommodating

Have the magnifying mirror lower. Put a small refrigerator in the room, perhaps under the desk as it is Close Quarters

The Happy hour half price specials at the Monarch Lounge were worth while. The public spaces/ lobby were ornate and beautiful. The lobby dog greeted guests and appreciated petting. There always seemed to be a child petting her. The rooms were small, but very clean. The bathroom was particularly small, 2 people couldnt manuever in it. I appreciated the magnifying mirror by the sink but it was installed too high for me to use; I'm 5 feet tall only. There were no other usable mirrors in the room. The libg mirror on the door wasn't usable to apply makeup or do hair as there was no light in the entryway so the mirror area was dark with the bathroom door closed.

No water park even though it still said there was one online.

I loved the setting of the hotel, the rooms were very spacious and accommodating also very comfortable and had everything we needed. Also the room service was very well priced. But we were disappointed that online it still said there was a water park but when we got there there was no water park. But other then that it was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

There was a bloody sock next to the bed. The neighbors were up partying untill 5am and i wad told i was to pay 179 and when i got there had to pay 240 a night.

My room wa's not clean and there were dirty clothes on the ground left over from the previews guests. Also I was put into a room with a handicap shower in which the shower curtain was constantly sticking to my body, which is pretty gross. And last but not least I booked this hotel specifically for use of the skywalk connected to the wisconsin center. However I along with all the other guest were denied the use of this "accomadation"

• Deluxe Double Room

I have never experienced a hotel charging a credit card with a pending $40 charge for two weeks. That was ridiculous and frankly disconcerting! I left with a zero balance and then a few days later find a pending charge on my credit card. I have never heard of such a thing. I have a student who just started college in Milwaukee and I will find another hotel for the next four year's worth of visits.

Beautiful hotel

room did not have refrigerator, small bathrooms

Great location, walking distance to everything, adorable mascot in lobby, comfortable beds, nice historic-looking building. Starbucks on site.

Doorknob on bathroom door was broken; requested it be repaired but it never was. Room was hot at night, even with thermostat turned down. We were on 7th floor; weddings on 2 and 5, noise made it hard to sleep.

The location was central to many things; the lobby was gorgeous; and Millie the dog was definitely a plus!

The bathroom was super tiny even though I informed hotel that it would be around 6 guests. the picture showed a large bathroom with a double sink-this was not the case. there was no mini fridge or microwave either. Parking was a little pricey, $25 for one night?!

The room was really simple but beautiful at the same time. very spacious, easy to decorate for my friends bachelorette sleepover party. Breakfast was absolutely delicious-just perfect. the dining room was very spacious and the staff was extremely helpful. Loved, loved the shuttle service, they were fast and very friendly. Even though my friends and I thought the driver would be annoyed with us calling back and forth and at one point he arrived and we sent him back- he was very understanding about it.

• Executive Suite

The high price for parking facility on a daily basis. It should be complimentary if you are using their facilities.

Awesome beautiful place. Excellent restaurant and service.

I dislike that I have to pay for parking but it was nice that the parking ramp was connected to the hotel.

This hotel is amazing. You walk into the Lobby and just see gorgeous lighting. Plus there's a cute lobby dog that was so well behaved and nice! Honestly I was amazed because we got such a great price and our room was really nice! It was really spacious and actually felt clean. I would definitely stay here again.

Our room was very small. We got stopped twice within the hotel and was given a story and then asked for money from that person. We moved a chair to hold the curtain shut for darkness and found someone's clothing that was not ours. When we told them at the front desk, they just said thank you we will tell housekeeping....was disappointed we didn't get an I am sorry or anything. :(

Walking in it looks fabulous and huge. It was beautiful! Lots to do within the hotel and walking distance.

There is a train connecting Milwaukee to Chicago in one hour and a half. There is a coffee shop providing with an excellent espresso close to the train station. There are very interesting museums.

Bathroom was very tired. Back of bathroom door split and cratched. Bathroom door handle barely hanging on. Was only being held on by one screw that was about to fall out.

Loved the history of the building and that original features had been maintained

The maid service was a little lacking. Toilet paper roll wasn't replaced and the roller left on the bathroom counter. Used bar soap by previous guest was left in the soap dish in the shower. There was no free breakfast and no swimming pool.

The pillows were fabulous. The bed was very comfortable. The linens very fresh looking.

This is an older property. It could use some upgrades. The attached pub service wasn't good and the food was cold. The breakfast buffet was great. The omelet guy was amazing!

Cost of things outside room.

Too expensive to eat in all the time. Buffet was very nice. Service was excellent. It would be nice to be able to stay more often, it's close to home. But finding - say breakfast for $50 or under. Lunch at least $65. And so on. But if I as gram could have done it, I certainly would have. Very nice.

• King Room - Disability Access

The hotel was so beautiful! It was in the perfect location right in the center of town. I would highly recommend. Plus, the room service was amazing and so delicious! I cannot wait until we get to go back!

• Deluxe Double Room

The Manager Ethan was great. We booked this hotel for a friends 50th Birthday. We had five women, Booking.com claimed that the room accommodates 5 adults, when we got to the hotel, this was not the case. We needed to spend an additional $35 for a rollaway. Ethan came to our rescue and made the decision to accomadate our larger group, due to booking.com's false information. Be aware when booking on this site. Call the hotel and confirm!

• Deluxe Double Room

What I didn't like was stated above.

Breakfast was ok the waitress was not good at all . We had to get a second waitress to bring us water . Did not like that!. The bathroom did not have a door between the room and the vanity. The beds were to small the room was not what we expected for the price.

• Deluxe Double Room

I think $25/night for parking with no valet service was kind of steep. Had I known I could see my car from my room across the street, I would of parked there for $3/day

Everything was very nice

• Superior Room

Expensive for the night that we stayed. Downtown location but not on the lakefront. Parking was an additional fee.

Elegant lobby, large room. Parking garage next to the hotel.

Probably what we were charged for parking in their ramp. It had a sign saying $7.00 if parking before a certain time, but when we went to register they charged us $25 for the night. Very confusing and misleading.

We have stayed here before and we love the hotel, the beds were very comfortable and the room was big. We love the location the Grill Pub, and the old time look of the hotel. They also included 2 dogs to meet and say hi to. A Labradoodle and a Goldendoddle which made for great conversations.

No check out drop box. Why stand in line to check out. No real instructions as to an express checkout for those with early meetings.

I stay at the Hiltons for the comfort of their bed. Nice linens. Good pillows. I know I will be able to sleep because it feels like home.!

This isn't the hotels fault, but we were accosted by a few panhandlers when we went out for a walk three blocks from the hotel.

Staff was amazing, very friendly and helpful. Food fn all the hotel's restaurants was delicious, some of the best I'v had in any hotel.

We found a huge cockroach in the bathroom. Staff responded quickly but were not at all alarmed that this happened. Maintenance staff looked in sleeping area for more. We decided not to spend the night and left around 12:30 am.

updates to the hotel. Ex: the blinds in my room had small holes and tears in them. Didn't like having to pay for parking. The parking garage had a lot of levels, but was dimly lit.

Though pricey, the food was really tasty and made to order.

Maybe a little bit more bathroom space but other than that - everything was great.

Staff was super accommodating - everything was ready for us on arrival. The bar also provided transportation to the Cubs vs. Brewers game which was awesome!

The parking was a little confusing and kind of expensive.

The beds were amazing, the hotel was beautiful and it was only a mile away from where we were going for leisure. The area was safe enough for us to walk back late at night.

Check in and front desk staff were rude, distant, uninterested and unprofessional. Very short unfriendly answers to question at check in. Unwilling to look into issue. Supervisor at desk who was asked to help would not even make eye contact...too busy to bother (?) Very disappointing, unprofessional and outright rude.

MILLIE was a hit in the lobby.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Bathroom could have used an exhaust fan. Got very steamy in there.

Bed was super comfy. Room was inviting...updated and bright. Hotel had a wonderful bar with music on Saturday evening.

Great bed and pillows.

Fritta breakfast entree was yummy. After 2 years, still no margarita salt to complete the $11 designer margarita in the upper lounge, sad!

• Deluxe Double Room

There is a distinct smell of cigarettes still in the hallway and rooms; perhaps from before these rooms became non-smoking. There was pet hair on the chairs as well.

Location was good; beautiful lobby

See above

Bed was so comfortable. Room service was prompt. Hotel shuttle to the fest? Sat in shuttle as Jon talked on his phone we finally got off shuttle and called an Uber driver. Other then that we really enjoyed our stay.

the bathrooms were not as advertised. they were very lackluster. The hotel was just older than i expected

it was centrally located and has a good bar/resturant connected to it

I was not happy that housekeeping kept coming around on our last day to see if we had left yet. They woke me up on there first go around. Our bathroom in our room hadmold growing and wasn't the cleanest.

We returned to the hotel a little after midnight, after a day at Summerfest. (along with many other hotel guests)We wanted to have a nightcap at the hotel bar, the Miller Time Pub and Grill. Unfortunately, we were informed they already had "last call" Say what? It's barely past midnight, you are a bar in Milwaukee, with guests returning from a music festival in your city? Ridiculously sad.

Staff was great. Very helpful.

No refrigerator in our room. We would have requested that had we known we may not have on. Our room also had an odd smell (musty, pet odor, maybe stale smoke?).

Miller Time Pub; location; easy access to downtown; shuttle available to Summer Fest grounds from the Miller Time Pub.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

We arrived at 1445 and checked in, but we didn't get our room until 1545. We were not the only people to experience this. There were at least 50-75 people waiting. The staff seemed overwhelmed for some reason; ie. understaffed due to call offs, not-prepared for the rush, etc. However, they handle it very professionally and obviously worked their way through it.

Check in was a mess. Rooms not ready until 4:30. Booked 3 rooms, two with double beds. Kept telling me i booked two double rooms. Front desk clerk had attitude. Manager was nice and apologized

Beds were comfortable

Check in time was 3:00, drove for 3 hours to get here, tried to check in at 1 pm, the room wasn't ready yet, he said half hour n we will call u. 2:30 came around n still no call, so now I'm in the check in lane for the second time today n waited in line for 30 mins!!!!!! Got to the counter n they had a room ready!! One pissed off customer right here!!! All said in done we were in our room at 3:30

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

When I went to check in and approached the counter, the gal at the front desk took a call and just looked at me. That has never happened to me at any hotel. Not cool.

Good hotel and bar at the right location.

Bathroom was quite small and difficult to manage. The windows were terribly dirty. I was expecting a nicer room at $179 per night. The room was adjacent to the elevator which was a distraction due to the noise.

Bed was very nice and comfortable. Staff was helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The room was small and the bathroom was ridiculously small. I also could have gotten the room $50 cheaper if I would have booked through the hotel. Booking.com screwed me good!!

It was conveniently located to where we wanted to go!

The lobby was beautiful and great jazz at the lobby bar. The rooms were comfortable and clean. There were great dinning options available at the hotel also.

• Deluxe Double Room

no fridge in room, shower pressure could be stronger

bed was super comfortable...great downtown location. plenty of good restaurants within the building.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Building is showing its age and noticeable patch up jobs to cover up deterioration,i.e. locks on our room door looked as though they had been kicked in at one time. View from room left a lot to be desired. Nothing out the window but garbage dumpsters and old dirty buildings.

Easy to access off the freeway, and relatively close to miller park. Good food and very friendly helpful staff. Also centrally located offering short commies to many city attractions and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Our bathroom was very cramped and the bathroom door was warped and did not close right. The parking was not clearly marked and we could not find it at first.

The hotel was comfortable and just a few blocks from the BMO Harris Bradley Center where we went to a concert. The staff was very friendly. The cafe had a great breakfast. The Bar and Grille was a bit pricey.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

I cannot believe this facility has consistently been rated a 4 Diamond property over the past several years. My best guess is that either the rating system somehow does not factor service level into the equation or the hotel has fair warning to prepare for assessment. I had already asked for a high floor, and when the clerk asked my preference, I repeated it and asked for whatever side and floor had the best view or was most comfortable. I specifically said this because as a frequent traveler, I've found the staff typically knows which rooms are most recently renovated or offers a great view over their city. I was put in an end room whose TV was facing the door, and even with the partial swivel allowed by the wall, it would've been uncomfortable to see from the bed, which sat perpendicular. I drag back down to the desk and explain. They seem confused about what I mean but gladly switch me to another room on another floor. The very last one on the opposite end of the hall. With pretty much the same problem. I called down to inquire whether all rooms are set up like this and again, surprise at the layout. I was too tired to switch again. Another thing was that I'd had a package shipped after checking and being told it was no problem they'd hold it at the desk. I didn't inquire during check in, but the next day around noon, I confirmed delivery the day before, in the morning. After waiting about 20 minutes though only 2 people were ahead of me, I was told it had been received and was being held for me, but the security team was too busy for me to get it just then. No problem. I had meetings, so I asked if they could just deliver it to the room so I'd have it for my afternoon workshops. I was assured that would be no problem. Of course, when I checked the room around 3pm, it had not been sent up. Additionally, the cleaning could have been more thorough.

The bed was INCREDIBLE!!! It's pillowy, cloud-like cushion was the best feature of the entire room and the highlight of my stay. And the building, itself, is lovely. Also, the Miller Lite Pub on the ground floor was convenient and had tasty eats. The catering staff was the friendliest of all encountered.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The only thing I would say wasn't good was the Milwaukee Pub restaurant. Our waitress was not attentive at all, gave wrong change to one of us. We had to have another wait staff refill our beverages because we were waiting for 15/20 mins for our waitress to come back. Besides this everything was good.

The room was great for what we needed. We were there for the Eric Church concert and everything went well.

• King Room - Disability Access

-Actual room was small -bathroom was tiny and awkward-door hit shower rod, had to put toilet seat down in order to flush the toilet

Restaurant food was excellent

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

Long lines at Starbuck's. An extra coffee stand somewhere in hotel lobby for early morning departures would be delightful!

Anthony at reception desk was very helpful and prompt in arranging an extra cot for our room.

Browse Hilton Milwaukee City Center traveller photo gallery