Reviews of Hilton Newark Penn Station 4 stars

Gateway Center - Raymond Boulevard, Newark, NJ 07102, USA

#9 of 18 hotels in Newark

Near to the station.

Personal service reception check in was excellent, check out not very friendly. It rises and falls with the person who is there right now.

Near to the station.

This property is perfect if you're attending an event at...

This property is perfect if you're attending an event at Prudential Center in NJ or the Garden in NYC. Prudential Center is less than a 5 minute walk away, most of it through the Gateway, which is an enclosed walkway. To get to MSG, take a train from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station (about 25 minutes) and the Garden is right across the street.

amazing location close to prudential center & penn station
    • Queen Room

My room was right next to the elevator, so I could hear every single time it was in use during the day and well into the night. The noise was only muffled whenever the AC turned on automatically. In the morning I was woken up by the sound of police sirens--but that's understandable since Newark is a major city and the hotel is located in downtown.

This hotel is literally just across the street from Penn Station! It took me mere minutes to get off my bus and walk across the street to check in. So convenient for people traveling via the Penn Station. Something else I really liked was how close it was to the Prudential Center. I came to Newark to see a concert and decided to stay overnight instead of finding a way back home right after the concert was over. It was a great decision to make because the hotel is only a few minutes away from the venue. It's always sketchy walking around at night in any major city, but most of the crowds leaving the venue were heading toward Penn Station and because the hotel is right next to it, I was able to easily follow the clusters and get to the hotel relatively quickly and safely. I'll definitely keep this hotel in my sights next time I visit Newark for another concert.

This property was in a great location, it was connected to...

The building is a little old, the staff was not friendly and the AC stop working twice.

This property was in a great location, it was connected to the Penn Station.

Anazing place!Will stay again!

Wish I had a refrigerator for my leftovers.

Perfect location for the event I was attending! Close to train station and room clean, spacious, and comfy.

Over all great time.

No refrigerator and no microwave.. I have paid the same amount or less and the properties at least had a refrigerator to keep food from spoiling.

The location was great.

It was a great trip. I saw an amazing concert, went into NYC a couple times andmet some friends

Things are getting a bit rundown and my room had an odd smell.

The lady at the front desk was on top of things. Fast check in, and gave me very detailed directions for my trip into the city and had the right amount of sassy sense of humor to make a guy like me comfortable!

The proximity to the Prudential center was outstanding.

We felt that not only was the hotel pricey but when we went to the front desk to get 2 motrin for our daughter, we were charged $5. We questioned the cost and the front desk employee just pointed to the sign and said this is the cost. We later found a Walgreens and paid 5.79 for 50.

The proximity to the Prudential center was outstanding. We attended a graduation and could walk mostly indoors to the center.

Employees need customer service training
    • Queen Room

Out dated some of the front desk crew was very rude and not helpful when I asked to speak with the manager I was told to wait. The manager never came but I really nice lady help fix the problems with my check in

Bed was comfortable

Walking distance to Prudential Center and Penn Station

The third floor is where the housekeeping staff is located. Our room was right across from the elevator which I thought could be a noise issue, but the loudest people were housekeeping.

Several friends were staying at this property for a concert; the front desk staff was very friendly and even gave us an early check in at no extra charge! During the week there are so many shops and places within the concourse open and the prices are reasonable. Penn Station is a short walk from the lobby and so is the Prudential Center

It was close to the Newark Ariport and there's a direct...

Our room was old (especially the bathroom), and the atmosphere was a bit depressing due to the dark carpets, walls and the lack of lightning.

It was close to the Newark Ariport and there's a direct overpass to the Penn Station.

Inside connection to station and food vendors in station and...
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

Need to update walls in room and halls that has peeling wallpaper.

Inside connection to station and food vendors in station and shops along bridge, as only other option was overpriced hotel breakfast menu. Free airport shuttle 24/7! Good staff at desk. Good in room coffee. Quiet room.

Great location by Penn Station
    • Queen Room

I was surprised my second morning when I realized the housekeeper didn't replace the coffee and coffee cup from the previous morning. I had to get dressed and go to the lobby to get supplies.

The North Ironbound neighborhood is a wonderful slice of Portugal. Walking around at 05:00 smelling the bakeries is a blessing. But it is even better if you stop and get an egg custard.

NOT COMFORTABLE

The staff member who check me in and the manager the made me feel like I didn't belong there.

The staff member that check me in was rude to me for no reason There was a problem with the hotel accepting my debit card. The supervisor was nice. The manager didn't even acknowledge the problem he didn't care They treated me like I was garbage NOT the supervisor

The beds were comfy and the hotel security was nice,...

The room wasn’t as clean as I’m use to. Hair on one of the folded up towels, lipstick on the light switch, and some stains? on the headboard.

The beds were comfy and the hotel security was nice, considering the location.

Overall hotel was good, location was great but free shuttle service is not 24 hours.

Shuttle bus stops running at 12.30am (not what you want to be told when you phone tired and just want a long day to finish)

Getting a room upgrade after flight delay. Convenience of location for train travel the next day.

Close to NJPAC

What I did not like about the hotel was; that the fixtures are dated and needs to be replaced. Needs new carpets. ☹️

Close to NJPAC Bed nice and comfortable 😀

Very satisfactory and excellent value.

Excellent location. Beds comfortable staff very pleasant. Would thoroughly recommend. The close proximity to the train station means New York city is only 30 minutes away

Proximity to the train station and prudential centre.

Residence bar closed early on the Sunday so when we arrived back from the prudential centre we could not get a drink.

Proximity to the train station and prudential centre. Staff were friendly.

The staff was very friendly & accommodating.

Bathroom was really old & outdated.

The staff was very friendly & accommodating. The location is great, & surprisingly quiet. Plenty of coffee was available for the in room coffee maker, which I appreciated. Needing a room key to get in at night & use the elevators was also appreciated.

Comfortable bed at Hilton.
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

Shabby and old, needs a renovation. Shuttle from airport took more than a 1/2 hour to arrive.

Bed was comfortable. Easy to get to Manhattan (20 minutes").

Fantastic!!! Really great!

Just that parking was really expensive I figured with the amount of the room that was included

Everything was absolutely wonderful making plans to stay there again!!! Wonderful everyone was absolutely kind!

I liked it was xlose to prudential centwr wjere we attended...

Just needed a mini fridge

I liked it was xlose to prudential centwr wjere we attended a concert. we walked and took 3 mins best thing the bar was open until 11 & food til 12 we needed that after our concert only thing think a mini fridge would be perfect for the rooms

The room was next to elevator couldn't sleep
    • Queen Room

The parking was charged to my CC ALONG WITH THE ROOM, PLUS THEY ADDED ANOTHER TRANSACTION TO MY CC FOR PARKING ALONE, WHEN THEY HAD ALREADY PUT IT IN ALREADY WITH MY ROOM BILL , SO MY ROOM WENT FROM 138 TO 173 BECAUSE THEY INCLUDED THE PARKING, AND THEN THEY HAD ANOTHER SEPARATE TRANSACTION FOR 36.80 FOR PARKING AGAIN

Our weekend getaway

The kitchen at the restaurant closes early and just about every restaurant in Newark so they should stay open later on weekends til about Midnight.

It’s near everything and clean the staff are wonderful and kind.

Very unpleasant

The staff was terrible from the shuttle driver who blocked my car in and was rude and abusive and refused to let me out. I had to threaten to call police. Front desk staffer didn’t make eye contact, never told me I would be charged for parking. I was under the impression parking was validated. When I called customer care line, that female was even more rude than the first. Ease of access to the hotel was terrible!! I had to carry luggage from far just to enter the lobby. Will NEVER use this hotel again.

The room was comfortable and adequate:

When we got there they did not have our booking.
    • Queen Room

When we got there they did not have our booking.com reservation. This was clearly not the hotels fault this is the last time I use booking.com this could have turned into a night mare but that's to the friendly professional staff it all worked out

Right across from the train station.

My room was not clean. Sink dirty, floor not vacumned, stayed 2 nites and not 1 time did house cleaning come. Ran out of towels, in room coffee, amenities...had to call front desk..housekeeping poor.

Right across from the train station. Walkway to hotel also

Any amenity, or service above basic - comes at a price. Everything costs. Nothing extrafor customer.

There is a $25 charge for basic room amenities of : mini fridge and/or microwave. (Which is ridiculous). There is NO Free Parking- this is a major inconvienience to the customer and a hidden money ploy. The daily parking rate is $36 !!!!!(No hotel discount rate at all- ridiculous) The only thing is the lots is close to hotel and access is unlimited. There is NO complimentary breafast either even though this WAS a business trip. This hotel gives nothing back to the customer. Everything you would need for a truly comfortable stay comes AT A PRICE. This may influence customers to seek to stay at OTHER hotel establishments that give a little more and take a little less $$$.

The room was very clean. Lots of towels, strong wifi signal, comfortable bed, great view, great heat/ac in room. The location was great for handling business during the day and going out for a cocktail and/or a show at night.

Stayed for 5 days, will definitely stay again. Very good continental breakfast daily.
    • Concierge Floor King Room

Breakfast options could maybe change daily. Got tired of the same food albeit delicious. :-)

The hotel staff were very accommodating! James in the executive lounge was very friendly and helpful. Perfect location - right next to the train station and walking distance to shops. Will definitely stay again.

It did the job and once problems sorted with cleanliness it wasn’t the lest stay,
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

Bathroom hadn’t been cleaned, sink still had toothpaste on it, towels had hairs in them, drinks glasses has dark sticky stains in the bottom, Show would take for ever to to heat up and hit water wouldn’t last long,

Close to station, comfy bed, good selection of tv channels, friendly n helpful staff

Great!

The service at the hotel was excellent. The shuttle bus going back to the airport was over full and we couldn't wait for the next shuttle to be available. The hotel manager gladly put my family in a cab to the airport with no questions or hassle, everyone is very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Decent enough, elevator noise annoying.

I had room 833 which was right next to the elevator shaft and the noise the lifts make is really quite noisy and annoying. So if you are going to book this place I would definitely request not to have a room next to the elevator shafts.

Ideal location being at Penn Station. Easy access to Manhattan.

Of the four times staying at this hotel, I rank this stay the lowest. Next time, I stay in the city.

The wi-fi was free, but the connection was extremely troublesome, especially compared to my previous stays on the property. This was my fourth time staying at this hotel and this was the worst connection I've had. Also, the room service has gotten considerably more expensive than my previous stays. I ordered what amounts to an appetizer and ended up paying a total of almost $40.00, which included a $12 delivery fee and a 22% service charge. The food was delivered almost 90 minutes after ordering and I still was charged both fees.

The cost of staying in this Hilton and it's location via public transportation makes it a good choice for New York City area visitors.

Chipping paint on the ceiling above the beds.

Chipping paint on the ceiling above the beds. Rust on anything metal in the bathroom. Mold patches in the bathroom. Definitely not up to "Hilton" standards. Good location and friendly staff.

• Queen Room

The wifi did not work after repeated tries. The front desk sent a maintenance man up to help, who knew nothing about computers! The check in guy was good. No one was at the front desk in the morning. The staff was a far cry from what one gets even at budget hotels.

Loved proximity to train station ! Extremely convenient
    • Queen Room

I was placed in a room by the elevator which was noisy to say the least

Booked at 10am and they gave me a room immediately when I get there which was convenient because i was stranded

It's good place to stay for transit, but not for visiting the area.

The property is not not walking friendly place in the evening and at night. Not able to find any safe place to go in the neighborhood. No restaurant or convenience store.

Convenience of the public transportation and the low cost.

Our stay was good. I really appreciated the customer service that your staff provided.
    • Queen Room

The bed was hard and the first room we were given smelled of cigarette smoke. The location, I didn’t feel safe.

The convenience of getting into New York. The staff was great. Their customer service was excellent.

Short stay and convenient to the airport. I probably would stay again because of this.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible Roll in Shower

The staff at the check in counter both night time and day time were extremely abrupt. It was like pulling teeth to get information about available food at a late hour and we felt we were imposing on the day time employee when asking how to get to the train station! She also did not want to give us a copy of our bill. Was it something we said?

We were able to check in after midnight

It was a convenient location but not worth the expense.

There was no microwave or refrigerator in the room. The TV did not have HDMI ports. The doors closed loudly. There weren't any close by restaurants other than the expensive one in the hotel.

How close it was to the train station.

Bed was very comfortable.

Staff directed me to a much earlier shuttle than I needed to the airport; could have slept an extra hour in the morning.

Bed was very comfortable. Room was quiet. Attractively designed.

No Sleep to be had Here
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

The aircon system was like trying to sleep next to a refridgerated van. The loudest thing I have ever heard. Worse still the aircon in the hallways was whisper silent. I considered making a bed out there. The road noise from car horns and sirens was relentless and we were on the 6th floor.

The actual room itself was in keeping with the Hilton high quality brand

A terrible start but problems were dealt with appropriately by very accommodating manager.

Had to move rooms 3 times, first had unflushed toilet and hairs in bath. Second had hairs in bath again, dirty stains on glass desk and boiled sweet stuck under desk. Third had plastic spoon under desk.

Bed was comfy, good price. Manager dealt with problem of dirty rooms quickly

OK but value for money spent was poor.

Staff was very blase, I really felt like they were annoyed we were there. Hotel was very noisy in the AM with guests leaving. I could hear room entrance doors closing loudly enough to wake me several times and traffic noise from the street.

Very comfortable room. Clean and comfortable, an OK place to stay over after a concert at Pru.

We enjoyed our stay!

It would have been nice to have a little fridge and a little table in the room.

We liked how easy it was to get to New York City! You don't even have to go outside for the train.

Waiting for a room for 30 minutes when checking in @ 7:30...

Waiting for a room for 30 minutes when checking in @ 7:30 & check in time was @ 3:00 is unexplainable!!!! Almost missed the concert we drove 10 hours to get to & made our reservation 8 months ahead.. Rude staff!!

Over priced

No breakfast provided, I know this is like quibbling over airline food, but an included breakfast at the price paid for the room should be standard. The bar was over priced.

Convenient to public transportation, transportation from the airport was very good the driver was very courteous and friendly.

Location is very closed to Penn station.
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

We heard lots of negative comments about Newark's safety and get a little bit nervous.

Location is very closed to Penn station. There is complimentary shuttle to Newark airport.

Good location, price was reasonable, would stay again.
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

The hotel itself could use some renovating. Not that it was really dirty just drab and old looking. The carpet in our room was dirty looking for sure - wear socks. And the portable fridges we requested for our room was really banged up - dented, on all sides but it did keep our beer cold. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

After a long day of sight seeing in NYC we came back to a clean room with fresh towels, bed was made and all the garbage had been taken out. It was great!

pretty close to Newark Penn Station thus the transportation...

thick curtain needed when the windows of your room is face to street.

pretty close to Newark Penn Station thus the transportation is convenient. there is a hallway that connect with hotel and station.

Wasn't poor but I doubt I will stay here again

No refrigerator in the rooms. Internet terrrible. A fee to use the microwave just ridiculous. Bed uncomfortable.

The food was ok but the drinks were too costly. I enjoyed alcoholic beverages off-site at a much cheaper price

Nicely located and comfortable hotel

Very roomy room, nice shower, lovely city/river view. Staff helpful and friendly, very good and prompt room service. Hotel restaurant nice, good food. Convenient indoor walkway to Prudential Center for concert.

There were no microwave or frig in the room.
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

I didn't like the mannerism in which the stocky black guy talked to me and my husband. He walked toward us using the words, " You People". He has a foreign accent, and the nerve he has using that phrase to us. We think he drives the shuttle bus. We were trying to find out more information about the elevators and how to use the card.

There were no microwave or frig in the room. The parking cost too much,, and the elevators are very confusing.

Location, convenience

The breezeway between the train station and the hotel was closed when he got back from the city. We had to walk all the way around the station which was sketchy

Location, convenience

Room lack basic amenities..no refrigerator to store basic item such as milk... the vent after shower was not working.. lots of mildew smell in the room as soon you enter.. Poor housekeeping service.. Above all they overcharge my account twice for NO reason

Shuttle bus did not come

We chose the hotel because it had a shuttle bus and because it was near Penn station. The shuttlebus never arrived- called 4 times and waited for 2 1/2 hours. At last they told us they had stopped for the night and we had to take a taxi. On the way back to the airport the driver did not want to let us off at the rental car service so we had to take the airport train to get there. Th day before we had confirmed that is was possible to get to the rental car place. Will absolute not recommend this hotel!

Near Penn station

Nice Stay!!

Excellent location if you want to commute to NY or other places in NJ. Parking discount is great but still $25+Tax after discount is not worth it when you have Newark Penn Station right across the street. So, if you are gonna stay here, dont rent a car.

Beds alittle uncomfortable. Young lady at the front desk.By the name of "Erica". Not customer friendly at all....

Location Convenient to Ny Surrounding nwk area. Myisha very friendly and helpful.

Poor quality hotel...

The hotel is very old and the A/C in the room was very noisy and the noise from the street all day.... the hotel is also located in very dangerous area full of homeless. I don't recommended for families.

Only the location is near the station

Perfect location with one disappointment
    • Concierge Floor King Room

My only disappoint was that I paid extra to be on the concierge floor for the extra amenities; only to discover that those services were not available on the weekend. We did one breakfast voucher but we stayed two nights. So the second morning we were on our own to cover breakfast.

I booked this room to attend KCON with my daughter. It was in the perfect location.

Very convenient for traveling to and from NYC.

Staff failed to mention that the gateway center walkway was closed after a certain time at night. Had to walk late at night through a much less than desirable city block.

Very convenient for traveling to and from NYC.

Stayed here for KCON NY
    • Concierge Floor King Room

Maybe it was my room location, but the wifi connection was really bad. I couldn't do anything on my phone.

I stayed at this hotel for KCON NY this year! It was close to the Prudential Center, only a couple minute walk. There is a parking garage attached to the hotel which made things easy, and you get a discount if you stay at the hotel. I was on the "executive" floor so I got free breakfast and wifi. There was a lot of food options since the hotel is connected to Penn Station. My room was a good size and the bed was super comfy. I didn't hear much noise at all and felt safe! Overall I'm super happy with everything.

location - close to transportation into New York, airport;

No place to sit other than the bed or 1 desk chair; bathroom was small and crowded

location - close to transportation into New York, airport; staff was very friendly and helpful

Clean, great location.

No breakfast included. In their restaurant, you can purchase breakfast for almost $20 a person. If you walk towards the train station (connected to the hotel) about 40 feet from the lobby, there is a full cafe/deli with everything that you can imagine to eat for cheap prices. The hotel charges $6 for a bottle of water- it is 1.50 here.

Clean, great location.

Ok

The room have a stale odor and didn't smell clean. Fresher bedding more classy than what there was needed.

I didn't have breakfast there so I don't know.

No more stays at Hilton Penn Station
    • Queen Room

I had selected the Penn to Penn package, hotel not aware and would not let me upgrade to it either. I had emailed about paying cash for the stay and also cash for the incidentals even if there was a larger fee. Upon check in the reservation agent refused my cash payment and wanted a card for incidentals, saying there was no record of my email. He strongly suggested depositing my cash on my card and then will accept my reservation. As I am an international traveler, any deposit I put on any of my cards will not be instant! He called the manager who gladly took my cash and charged the incidentals on my debit card who stated the refund of the incidentals should appear upon check out. As being international, I am still awaiting the incidental release from my card 10 days later!!!!

the room was a little spacious even though the bed was a double instead of the king/queen I had selected.

Poor choice hotel
    • Queen Room

I was not allowed to cancel my room or given a reason why, I attempted to cancel more than 45 days in advance and still was not given a chance to

Never again, for that price they need to do much better.

Th price, bathroom had a leak, parking was expensive and the walk from the lot was ridiculous in the cold, the noise from the train station was also ridiculous. They could sound proof those rooms. There was no elevator on the ground floor, so you had to carry your luggage up an escalator just to check in.

Friendly front desk staff.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

It's Newark

Location location, staff was great. The air conditioner in my daughters room was broken. 1 call and they replaced it in 10 minutes . A 5 minute walk and we were at her graduation. I hate paying for parking , I am cheap. We could leave the car in the lot til after her graduation.

Didn't like homeless people asking for smokes, pillows were a little flat

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Good hotel within a 2 minute walk to Newark Penn Station

-No refrigerator in room!!- A low for Hilton -Size of room- too small! -General property upkeep- Age is showing!

-Proximity to Newark Penn Station and therefore NYC - Staff- friendly and always helpful

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great staff.

Fairly beat up property overall, but clean. Was not as noisy as you'd think it'll be given proximity to the train station.

Great staff. Very friendly and accommodating

Hilton Newark Penn Station.....50 minutes from aeroplane to bed

Signage from station not good. Surface of bath was worn. Room coffee facilities could be more generous.

Waiter in the restaurant for breakfast was superb

All good, except for one shocking surprise!
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

Saturday morning at 9 a.m., Housekeeping knocked briefly and opened the door. If we had not had the door barred, she would have been inside our room before I could shout "Occupied!" This has never happened to me before at any other hotel. Doesn't your staff have a list of rooms that have checked out??

Pillows were heavenly!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

An awesome stay!
    • Queen Room

Sometimes the elevator did not read my card.

I enjoyed the view from my room and how close we were to both Newark Penn Station AND the Prudential Centre.