Reviews of Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue 3 stars

4200 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131, USA

#57 of 75 hotels in Philadelphia

Location was perfect.

Wish they had a complimentary shuttle to pick up and drop off at airport or train station.

Location was perfect. Near many every day restaurants and shops, e.g. Corner Bakery, Chili's, etc.

Family friendly

Everything was good .Just eish i would had two queen size beds in room. We had valet parking. The guys were excellent!

Everyone was nice. I didnt have to wait long for the guys to get my car. I just wish there was a microwave in the room

Payment was my only problem I got charged more then was told...

Over charged me

Payment was my only problem I got charged more then was told I have to wait 5 days for my money back but other than that the staff was friendly and the facility was beautiful wish I stayed longer

The room sent my allergies into a frenzy.. I couldn’t get my self together so I didn’t stay

Check in times are very late and check out is amazingly early. The cleaning people came in to clean my room and removed my things, as if it was beyond check out time.

Front Desk was very helpful and supportive

Here here best part was the bar manager and his drinks

The fact that they have hidden fees not included on third party reservation sites and don’t even give the so called extra $100 dollar refundable fee back I was extremely pissed and felt that I was being targeted because I’m young black with children

Love the fancy bathroom and the bar manager/bartender

I wouldn't stay here again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

It took 3 calls to fix the air conditioning over 2 days. There was an evacuation alarm very early in the morning and on the way downstairs it was resolves. Very disruptive and hard to relax.

Still on the Top of My List
    • Queen Room

Still continue to improve on cleanliness (eliminatine the dust from the corners).

This is a quiet place with a great view of the city skyline, situated away from the congested downtown traffic.

What a strange experience...........................
    • Superior King Room

Booked this hotel through Booking.yeah, which was showing me that the room I was booking can accommodate 4 people. I booked it and when I arrived the front desk person told me that the room which was booked will not accommodate 4 people. with a kingbed and there is no roll-out bed available, although I had put in a request in my reservation for roll-out bed or sofabed. I asked if there is another room, I was told no. We are overbooked!! Long story short: front desk manager told me that he would happily cancel my room at 11:00PM in the night. Means I could go somewhere with my family in middle of the night and try to find another hotel.....with sleeping kids I think the hotels like airlines overbook and hope that someone will not show-up. And if they show-up we will tell them to go somewhere else or it is the third party problem (such as booking.com). My recommendation to the hotel: Ask your reservation group to check thirdparty sites, how the rooms are being shown there and check the reservation, for how many people the room has been booked for. Call ahead of time if there is an issue and don't let your customer pay the price in middle of the night....... What a headache, when all I wanted to do is spend an evening with my family in Phillly and not become a pingping ball for 3 hours.......hotelling business is not for charity but it should at least stand by what they are promising or hold the third party accountable and help your customer with kids !!!!!!!!!!

relatively friendly staff at breakfast

Room was not cleaned by housekeeping.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was not cleaned by housekeeping. A request was made and no one came not until my friend called them twice to say that she (my friend) will clean the room herself.

I was there for a few hours overall it was good

After i checked in, i went to tge facility in the lobby. It wasnt as clean as i would like. Maybe because it was so late. I dont know, wasnt clean at all

I checked in late but the staff was very nice. It appeared to be a busy weekend at the hotel. Room was great. Modern style, which i like. The bed was very comfortable.

There was a gentleman I spoke with over the phone the night...

There was a gentleman I spoke with over the phone the night prior to my arrival, and honestly his customer service was horrible!!!!! He did not answer any of my questions and he had an attitude. He was super rude and it almost made me want to cancel my reservation and book somewhere else. Had it not been so last minute i would have canceled!

Clean Comfortable accommodations with Courteous Staff. Be aware of Parking costs.

Parking misrepresented. Not $5 public & $10 private. Choices were: $15/day valet parking with unlimited in & out OR @$12/day self-park - you pay $12/each time you enter. Valet was difficult to reach on the phone - took 3 tries each time I called for the car. When downstairs, valets were courteous & responsive, Valet office difficult to get on the phone (perhaps they were getting cars, but need a better system).

Courteous staff. Comfortable rooms. Breakfast buffet was $15/pp - good variety.

It was fine once we got past all of the troubles given to us by this website and hotel staff.

Well, I booked a room with one King bed on this website, but we were given a room with two doubles. The hotel staff said they had no available King rooms and in the system we were given two doubles. Very disappointed.

A Quiet Place near the Parks.

Although, I am sure the housekeeping staff works hard, they still need to clean the corners in the rooms.

This is a very quiet place overlooking the Philadelphia skyline were the city reservoir adds that additional touch of a "small lake".

During my 5 nights stay at the Hilton, I had excellent service..The staff was wonderful!!
    • King Room Hear Accessible

Everything was fine during my 5 nights stay..I had no complaints..

I didn't order eggs, because I don't eat eggs.But, the bed was excellent, I got plenty of rest, it felt like I was sleeping on clouds..

Beautiful hotel but housekeeping not in top of things.
    • Queen Room

The first day I arrived I reported that the hook on the back of my door was almost falling off. It was never fixed. I was out of my room from 9:30am to 11:30pm one day and did not have a do not disturbed sign in my door. Housekeeping did not visit my room. Trash was not taken out, bed not made and disposable cups not replaced.

Wonderful room and friendly front desk staff.

Nice Hotel, Terrible Parking

There was no convenient parking. Valet was always over full and the parking lot was almost a block away and very costly.

It was clean, up to date and the staff was friendly.

I would stay at Hilton City Ave again overall it was a nice stay with very friendly staff!
    • Queen Room

The bathroom could’ve been a bit cleaner, there was scum or something left in the sink I cleaned it out but that was it

The view of the water was beautiful and the pillows were a dream

Despite the rude and unfriendly front desk staff. My stay was a nice.
    • Queen Room

The front desk staff were not welcoming to say the least. She had a bad attitude and not willing to provide information as I asked questions rekated to the use of the facility and regulations. She didn’t even smile. It was my first time staying at the hotel. The front desk need to be more friendly and welcoming. There are the first contact

The facility was very clean.

Refund

There was somebody elses hair in the shower and the shampoo that was in the bathroom was squirted all over the walls it was not clean at all in there . Then we kept getting calls saying something was wrong with my card but they already had charged me $150 for my stay. When I get down there they say something to me about the 50$ on my card for accidental but never told me about it when I first checked in. That’s unprofessional and I was really disturbed to keep getting phone calls.

Nice hotel in Philly!

The view from our room was towards the machinery area so this was a bit disappointing in a leisure trip with family!

Very good breakfast and free parking facilities around the hotel

I liked the beds and how nice the rooms were

The ice machine on the eighth floor wasn’t working, the carpet didn’t smell good,the iron board was broken, the electricity was out on check out day.

I liked the beds and how nice the rooms were

A hotel that wants to be upscale but staying here is a budget experience.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

The walls are super thin and I couldn't sleep. The rooms were so dark during the day. Horrible lighting. The bed too soft and uncomfortable. I realize that is subjective, but it's also bad for the back. I initially thought it was a good touch that you had to have a card to access the floors from the elevator. Except if you use the stairwell they don't have the same security so what is the point? They need to have a less expensive dining room. The steakhouse dinner prices were outrageous. I thought for the price this was a fair to poor experience.

The hotel had a gym. The staff was friendly.

This stay could have been better if they had an on-site parking lot and more security guards.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Too much voice on floor at night. Not enough security to handle drunk guests. Children were knocking on guests doors and running down the halls.

Size of room

The location was great.

Traffic in hall was too loud for a bit

The location was great. The security feature of the elevator needing card key. The room very comfortable. The cleanliness.

Good Place to stay in PHL.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Parking Arrangements: Some cars parked at "No Parking" sign. Some cars cannot. I'm wondering what is the Concierge's standard ?

Convenient Location: close to Bala Cynwyd Mall and Saks 5th Ave. Shopping Center. Easy to drive to downtown. Superb On Duty Manager on Oct 20th: We booked our room with Breakfast but it didnot show in hotel's system. The Manager of that day was kind enough to issue us the coupons for all five days we stayed and clear the information with Booking.com on their own. He could had refused and asked us to pay first, clear later. But he was kind enough to make his guests happy. Two Thumps Up for the Duty Manager of Oct 20th. He always walking around the other days checking his team. Hilton Standard: No need to explain.

Ok but would not recommend or care to come back.
    • King Room Hear Accessible

The food choice was very limited, the taste was poor, room service was a hit or miss, ex: onion soup late one night was good, breakfast was terrible, no syrup for waffles, by the time it came, waffles were cold, berries was only 15 blueberries, nothing else...very steep for this high prices item, charges $14 for scrambled eggs while the menu read $12, very misleading but at most, very poor quality, room service over the phone was very poor, not professional, no customer service. One FD person did not really help us with the WIFI issue, she did give me the password but could not help me when it did not work while on the next day, another person, Kiara, truly helped and went through my phone and updated what was needed, she went the extra mile which made the difference.

The room was comfortably appointed. Room service server was very polite and timely. Someone at the restaurant, maybe a supervisor/manager (sorry for not knowing his name but he was a shorter gentleman with maybe an Indian accent?) was extremely helpful and very nice (heated up my broth for my sick husband) great customer service and very pleasant!

It was comfortable

I did not like how you had to pay for parking with how expensive the rooms already are.

I liked how kind the door men where as well as the front desk staff.

I would stay there again because of the location.

Had to find a place to park on the street unless I wanted to walk a block to a paid parking lot. There was some confusion at the desk regarding my reservation. They claimed booking.com did not send reservation correctly and were confused about who I had to pay.

Room was comfortable and quiet. Location was good.

Nice place terrible parking accommodations.

Parking was terrible. When we first got there to check, we pulled up to the front of the hotel and I got out of the car to go check in and the valet parking attendant made us move since we were not using valet services even though I was trying to check in. We went around to self park and it was a distance from the hotel. We had to drag our bags up the street to the hotel since the valet service made us move. Every time we left the self parking lot we had to pay, it wasn't just the fee for the day. We ended up paying close to $40 for parking when we only stayed two nights and it was advertised that the hotel parking was $10 per night. Then we had trouble paying the machine would not except our credit cards for the parking lot. We did tell the front desk people when we checked out but they seemed not to care.

Rooms were updated and nice

One of the best of my many, many hotel stays.
    • King Room Hear Accessible

Nothing everything was great!

The friendly greeting from Everyone! I was early and had to wait until check in and they were very accommodating! Professional and kind.

Booked for 3 adults.

Booked for 3 adults. Paid more for room. Towels and coffee for 2. Had to ask for row away bed and additional towels. complementary breakfast offered but had to pay for additional person. If room only accommodated 2 why did we pay more?

Great access to the Main Line, close to Target and...

Wish there was convenient, free parking.

Great access to the Main Line, close to Target and Dunkin' Donuts (things we miss living outside the country)!

Snake Oil/Staff Awful

Most of it. No where near Anything !! Can't walk safely to anything. Lie about alcohol in their bottles. I got a rash from their bar, NOT actual alcohol replace w cheap crap. . I know the Titos this wasn't it !!!

The shower

Too short

Temp in room was turned down way too low. Cold. Working on public parking area. Will be nice when finished.

Great size room. Very nicely decorated. Modern , Fresh. Nicely done.

Easy to access
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Figuring out parking was a little interesting and basically had to use the valet parking to be able to unload at the entrance. A bit of a travel to downtown sites.

Easy to access from Rt. 76. Staff was friendly and willing to help with any request. Room was nicely decorated with comfortable furniture.

Very pretty hotel

The mirror in the bathroom was too high up on the wall. I am 5'2" and could only see the top of my face in the mirror! I am glad I had a mirror with me to put on make-up and fix my hair. The city is doing heavy construction right beside the hotel so just a little noisy during the day.

The hotel was beautiful and in a very nice part of town. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The lobby was exceptionally pretty. Had to do valet parking as no self parking.

Great location, friendly, courteous staff!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Personally, I do not care for the "barn door" to the bathroom. Although very eye-appealing, there is no soundproofing; when one takes a shower, it is very noisy in the bed area. And why do hotels not put fans in the bathrooms? Mirrors steam up and it is impossible to shave or see while you are drying your hair, until the steam clears. Also, I'm not a fan of valet parking. At this location, valet service could not be reached by phone after several tries. We stayed two days, and each morning this occurred. It was necessary to go to the check-in desk and request the valet service. If you want to park your car yourself, the parking area is about a block away, so it's a hike for someone like my husband who uses a cane and cannot walk that distance; therefore we chose valet parking. The hotel staff were very courteous, friendly, and helpful. The manager, who began only a day or two before our departure, was very kind and receptive to my comments, and made things right. On the whole, I would definitely stay here again, and I'd recommend it to others. Can't beat the location from public transportation and other features!!

This was a great location for my purpose. We were visiting our daughter and family who live 1 mile away. The hotel was very easy to find - you can't miss City Ave.!!! The hotel was very clean and modernly furnished. Our room was located close to the elevator, at my request.

Would not pay to stay here again...

The valet was very slow and not friendly at all. They had so many events going they could not keep up with all the cars and people. You had to pay for wifi and that is crazy.

Loved the beds and pillows. It was close to shopping and restaurants. Delmonico's Steakhouse in the restaurant was amazing and the food and staff great.

Bad Experience!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

That there was not complimentary breakfast, that I could not load my on luggage onto cart. Bathroom was not what I would call clean. I berated my wife for not booking at another hotel.

Nothing really!

"Pseudo Hilton"

we were not told when we sat down for brunch that 5 mins later they would tear down the buffet. Fastest tear down I have ever seen. Then , it's Saturday it's 11:45 , and we were shooed out of the area that we just ate at ? Excuse me, I am on vacation weekend. It doesn't happen often and when I want to sit and enjoy my company and coffee , and am told to move out to the hallway lounge versus where I am currently sitting , I take major offense. I have worked in the service Industry for 21 years , i couldn't quite imagine being that pushy? And did I mention the dust ? My allergies went insane . Dust all over the room. The place needs a good cleaning. Not to mention the hand print stains all over the bathroom door😏🤢

They food was excellent. Front staff was excellent.

Clean with easy freeway access
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

No fridge in room. No to go coffee shop. The light in the shower was hanging out of the fixture!! Staff was not friendly at all (check out staff was). The workout room is advertised as "state of the art" but only has a few cardio machines and free weights.

Easy access on/off freeway. Handicap accessible room was very spacious and clean. The parking is a very quick walk and only $5 which after paying $45 a day downtown is a huge bonus!! Close to shopping and restaurants. Very quick, easy drive to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). Would definitely stay there again.

The staff were very helpful and friendly.

The view was not a lake, but a water retention pond for the city and one was being worked on all dry with barb wire fence. Plus no parking for the price. Had to walk out of a stone lot a block away for five dollars a day.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean and well maintaned.

Over night stay
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Breakfast could have been included instead of paying extra for it. Had to order take out. couldn't heat you food be cause there was no microwaves in the hotel period.

staff was very helpful.

Hotel needs maintence they allow ppl smoke weed security thinks there homeland security for $220 nwi

The ceiling came down and some of the ceiling went in my eye security came into my room for no reason and saw me naked bc i was coming out of the shower early in the morning they came in my room like they was homeland security and there was ppl smoking weed on my floor that got me nausous all night long and gave me a makor migrain headache i couldnt sleep all night long and alerted the manager on duty of the whole situation that had happen and they still charged me $220 for room i never slept in

I did not eat there because i broke my neck out of there they was rediculous will not stau tbere again

beds were very comfortable.

There was 2 dead stink bugs on the sink in the bathroom when we got there. They messed up both omelet orders in the morning that we ordered. And the water wasn't very warm in the shower.

beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Room very nice, staff not very attentive
    • Queen Room

Had a problem with the key to my room not working. It took several times of going al the way to front desk to get appropriate help. After my last trip I called the front desk from my cell phone. They said they would send someone up immediately 20 minutes later I was still waiting . Called again and finally someone came after 30 minutes of standing in the hallway. Room was very nice

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

First time at this Hilton and it was an excellent experience
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The staff was courteous and very helpful Breakfast was excellent,especially the berries and oatmeal housekeeping was excellent We will return

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Not again. Ever.
    • King Room Hear Accessible

The room service food was TERRIBLE. I paid for the room with breakfast and the staff didn't "see it in their system" although I had printed out the info and showed them and I had to fight to get any breakfast. AND the breakfast honestly just sucked. There was a half drunken water bottle on the table when I got to my room. The bathroom floor was all sticky and unclean.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Were attending a PCOM event which was handled very well.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The breakfast staff was not too with it. They did not furnish us with menus nor asked what we wanted. All we wanted was coffee and a muffin. We were then first charged for the full buffet. We said we only had coff and muffins. We were then charged for continental breakfast. We were not happy.

The room and hotel staff.

Wonderful stay in a quiet room!

Air conditioner was a bit loud and given chilly temps we turned it off to sleep.

Beautiful large room with wonderful view of Philadelphia skyline.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Not a whole lot around, but it was cool.

Not a whole lot around, but it was cool.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Awesome

The dirty windows in the room

customer service was amazing.

customer service was amazing.

Staff was excellent from valet to check in/out,...

Staff was excellent from valet to check in/out, housekeeping was very polite we will definitely come back

Clean.
    • Queen Room

The parking is not adjacent. It's down and across the street.

Clean.

The room was huge with a great view.

The room was huge with a great view. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Great location and clean well appointed rooms.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Great location and clean well appointed rooms.

Modern rooms

Modern rooms

Feel in love

There wasnt a complimentary reception!!! That would have given me more to look back on

I feel in love with this hotel

Forgot to clean room.

Forgot to clean room.

• King Room Hear Accessible

Had no problem with the property

Excellent location

Lack of parking space.

Lack of parking space. Other than that, there was nothing else I didn't like.

Fair

Person checking us in stated our room was not ready and was able to put us in another rom but did not offer

Overall facilities

love it

Bath room not clean enogh

Lay out of the room and location. Price too

Excellent facilities.

Too far from the city!

Excellent facilities. Very Clean.

My View was amazing

My View was amazing

Very disappointed

See above

Our room was not cleaned only once after we had to seek out housekeeping.

It was fine, but do not expect your room to be cleaned if it is the weekend.
    • Queen Room

No one cleaned my room from FRI to SUN! And nothing was offered in return except a "we are sorry that happened ".

The staff was great!

Great!
    • Queen Room

There was nothing I did not enjoy.

Bed was comfortable

Excellent. Perfect location for my business needs

Excellent friendly staff

This was a great stay
    • Queen Room

Looks modern, but cheaply done with unclean and uncomfortable beds.

The beds and sheets were DISGUSTING! I have never seen such a filthy bedding in a hotel!!!

The bathroom was modern with a nice shower

Parking was too far away.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

Parking was too far away. Forced to use valet

Very nice other than the bed size issue
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability/Hearing Accessible

The size of the beds. Two queen beds per room were not available.

Cleanliness and staff were amazing