Reviews of Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island 3 stars

1960 Harbor Island Drive, Harbor Island, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#116 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Queen Room

I was highly disappointed with the room that was given to me. First of all, when I got to the hotel the receptionist was unable to find my reservation, so it took me around 20 minutes checking-in. This included a phone call to Booking.com. When I called though, they were courteous and called the hotel immediately to fix the problem. Secondly, on preferences I stated that I wanted a balcony with ocean view. I was assigned a room on the third floor facing south west so the “ocean view” was hardly there. What I did get a great view of was the A/C units/fans that made so much noise that I could not keep the sliding door open to enjoy the sound of the waves nor the nice ocean breeze. Third, when I called the front desk to inquire about the room I was left on hold for 15 minutes until I decided to hang up and thought to myself “I’ll give the room a chance...either way is not like I paid full price”...Oh, boy did I regret that!!! Because my room was next to the storage room and emergency stairs. There was so much noise all night that I was hardly able to sleep. Then when I showered, the drain must have been clogged because it took forever for the water to drain as I showered. Lastly, the outside of my room was super dirty, it was obvious that it needed to be vacuumed which could’ve been done since I wasn’t able to sleep anyway.

Friendly staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Plugged up shower... rude front desk workers ... payed a lot of money for outdated stuff ... beds horrible .. I paid over 500$ and hard to get ice on your floor had to go other floors ! And smelled bad in room .. don’t think I’ll Go back there

The view

• Superior King Room with Marina View

There was a bit of a musty smell overtime we came back into the room but we just opened the sliding glass door and let the fresh air in. On our way back up to the room we asked for sugar for the following morning and the lady at the front said she would have it sent up to the room but we didn't ever receive it.

The gentleman that brought up our room service was the most delightful person ever. Truly put a smile on our face. Our King Superior Marina room had a great view split between the marina, the bay and Point Loma.

• Queen Room

I was only there for one night. The room I was initially allocated was on the end of the corridor next to the air conditioning unit. The receptionist changed the room as soon as I mentioned it.

The location was exactly what I required close to the airport. After a long flight I called for the airport shuttle service direct to the hotel. Nice room with a balcony overlooking the swimming pool.

• Queen Room

It would be helpful if the shuttle left just a little earlier than 5am to better accommodate early flights.

The room is conveniently located near the airport and has free shuttle service which is very helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Harbor View

We weren't promised proper accommodations for 3 people. I had to buy extra bedding and our family friend had to sleep on the floor. That was disappointing.

The view was exceptional.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was under construction, the front desk agent was rude and treated me badly. My bath room shower was falling off and the tub was clogged. And the "view" that they so rudely made me pay for after I had already prepaid for was totally obstructed. I would have thought more comming from the Hilton. Very disapointed

• Queen Room

Last weekend, when I stayed here, my room was across the ice machine. Very noisy. On the return this weekend I was given a room view a view on the AC for the whole hotel A change of room costs an additional $40. The new room has a great view, but is across a machine room anyway. Conclusion: rooms are noisy and are not well insolated.

Location is wonderful. Breakfast is great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything price i paid not worth it at all

Nothing they are reconstructing.Our sheets were dirty and our bathroom shower was pluggef amd the water would stay stuck not flow down disgusting!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

this place was really nice. from welcoming staff to beautiful view. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

beautiful view! cool breezes! working tv. clean bed and bath. balcony was just right. room service was high priced but enjoyable to the 6 yr old I was with! even tho we were across from the elevator we didn't hear anything from the hall. the courtesy shuttle was an extra special benefit. this place was perfect for our needs!

• Queen Room

The hallway off the elevator and my room smelled of mold. My confirmation email stated their was a bathrobe with the room, there was not and the staff said I do not receive one with that room.The vent fan did not work in the bathroom, I brought it to their attention, nothing was done, nor was it for my fellow conference attendees. The construction was annoying. The light fixture in the bathroom was disgusting, the dust balls in the bathroom were disgusting, the trim piece on the tub faucet was dangling. When we asked for a shuttle to our conference it seemed as if we were inconveniencing your staff, so we walked to and from.

The sheets were not changed daily, nor were the glass cups.

• Queen Room with Harbor View

Construction going on at the time of our stay and a bit noisy in the morning. We could also hear the people above our room stomping around at night-luggage rolling around. Also there was a dirty Q-tip left taped up near the door wall. This was strange.

The view of the harbor was beautiful and we seen a whales tale and water spouting on one morning!

• King Room with Harbor View

The coffee in the lobby was not 24/7...its a small but important thing considering the room coffee is never all that great. We checked in at 3 and it was out, then came back downstairs after napping since we had a long day, and it was gone. In its place was only some fruit water. I've stayed at 4 star hotels ie Best Westerns in Florida etc that had 24 hour fresh coffee and even CC cookies (great for kids). Just a suggestion! Also, parking was $25/day...not sure I missed that when I booked the hotel, since I didn't see "resort fee" I assumed no extra charges. Would have thought for the price, parking would be included with the stay.

Excellent room, bedding, view, cleanliness and location. The buffet breakfast was truly one of the best we have had! 5 star service and food at the restaurant!

• King Room with Marina View

- extra charge for pet $75 - no late check out, we were on a work trip and didn’t get back until after midnight. They would not allow us to have late check out. - pool & jacuzzi close at 10pm. Wanted to soak after Long work day, not possible.. - $25 for parking in their own lot. You would think parking is included for $200 a night. - after all the extras and incidentals Room was over $300 for a Sunday night. No breakfast included - no room service after 11pm and no stores nearby. - room service portions were mediocre $16 for 3 medium sized pancakes with berries.

- The bed was comfy, - location was nice. - pets allowed - Lots of parking. Good because we were on a work trip and had a box truck. - view from Room was nice - balcony - quiet - free in room coffee -staff was courteous and efficient

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rather unpleasant staff. OUTRAGEOUS price for continental breakfast ($18) AND it didn't open until 6 am, no good for early flight out AND no early coffee available. Had to go to aiport.

Convenient to airport for early departure. Very comfy bed. Good last-minute value.

• Queen Room

I wish the hotel shuttle started at 4:00 am instead of 4:30. I am the kind of person who likes to get to the airport early and my flight boarded at 5:30, so it was a little stressful that the shuttle didn't even leave until 4:30, and check-in lines are sometimes long.

the room was a very nice size and had convenient elements for business travel: outlets, large desk, space for luggage and a comfy chair. The bathroom had a lot of room as well and extra towels which is very nice.

first i would have stolen something then i called the police, the next day i was locked in because elevator and then i would put up as a liar. Then i moved out and when the potiers brought my luggage, they knocked it on the door so my thermo mug jumped. They clearly have one star too few ! After repeated questions about my jewelery i always got the same answer " no one steals here " HA HA also bon of the requested boss.

the place und clean !

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

The. Lies to make you pay more for notthing. It's so loud the entire night. You can hear people cleaning and slamming things all around yu. No bueno etc

I only like the bigger size towels

Customer service

Breakfast vastly overpriced and not great waited for ten minutes for milk for coffee, even though staff not busy, just standing round chatting.

• Queen Room with Marina View

The detect deposit and mention just 3days Nd will refund it..but now its a week ..Price of parking was high and hotel was to small and sime compare with the price ....

I like the location of the hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were given a room basically in the lobby. Representative said it had a balcony. Balcony if you can call that was were every body would go to smoke!!! The bathroom was plain unsafe!! Water from the shower would flood the bathroom . Room 104!!! Will not come back and will tell everyone how horrible it was . At 300$ a night total disappointment. I’ll stick with Fairmont or a Sheraton!!!

They dont have a laundry room.

The location was awesome and the view amazing! The front desk staff was super nice. I got a great deal especially for booking at the last minute!

• Superior King Room with Marina View

Way overpriced for the service provided. Nothing special or elegant about the hotel that was worth $400.00 a night. Parking is ample but it cost another $22. Bathroom is small and has no tub.

The view of the marina was nice. The king size bed comfortable.

• Queen Room

I would have liked it if they had something on the order of a Starbucks available. Some place that you could get a muffin, sandwich or snack without having to call room service or go into the restaurant for a more affordable price. Most hotels have that option and we truly did miss that.

The restaurant Panorama Bar and Grill was excellent. The staff at the restaurant was so friendly and efficient. The food was excellent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The black mold in the shower top corner ceiling and tile walls.it was disgusting. The front heck in desk was way to small and the place needs a makeover. Old and out dated. The hall carpet is like a cheap Vegas hotel and the elevators, one was broken and the other 2 SUPER slow. I expected a lot more from a HILTON . Also at check in our room was NOT ready and offered an upgrade for $10 extra, sis not take it and 10-15 minutes later, our room was surprisingly ready. Charging $22 for GUEST parking, seriously rediculous☹️

The view

• Queen Room

Far from public transport. Not much to do in the surrounding areas. Beds are very soft and squeaky. Not great noise insulation between rooms.

Very clean room and common areas. Fluffy towels and hot water. Free and fast wifi. Spacious rooms.

• Queen Room

no reward points since i booked third-party. bad location for my room since i booked third-party.

i asked if they wanted my hilton rewards number and they said no since i booked third-party. my room was at the end of the hall next to the 'service' room. the washing machine was going all night and I wasn't able to get much sleep. made me feel like i got a bad location since i booked third-party. Marriott always gives me my reward points...even if i book third-party.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The rooms didn't have bath tubs. The staff at the check in counter was unflexable and unaccomadating.

The rooms were comfortable. The front desk supervisor was professional.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

No slippers provided & incomplete toiletries The hotel serves in-room meals only, there is no coffee shop or restaurants

Comfortable bed & pillows

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were very small, it said queen double but felt and looked more like a full size bed. Felt a little musty and looked clean but didn't feel clean. Rooms were a bit dated.

The view of the water was beautiful

• King Room with Harbor View

Well, charging over 300 dollars per night, there should be a free breakfast. It's a ripoff, honestly, to charge people 25-26 dollars for breakfast if you already charging people more, than 5 star hotel in Europe. I was totally denied late check-out. This is really ridiculous, cause I wanted check-out al 2 p.m instead of 12 am. That would have cost me 150 dollars. Guys, not nice. Especially after such big help with the check in.

Fantastic location for business travelers. Hotel is literally 5 minutes away from the airport. Rooms are spacious and clean, though you get that size of rooms pretty much everywhere in US. Wi-Fi was complimentary. That's a new thing in US Hilton. Check-in was very good. My flight was delayed and I arrived on the next day. A guy on the phone was very helpful, checked me in on the phone and no worries. Panorama restaurant on site is actually very good. Staff is very professional, polite, especially guy from the bar, who recommended me the best burbon I've ever tasted so far. You should absolutely have a taste of crab cakes and ahi starter. Prices are high, but that's San Diego. No surprise here.

• Queen Room with Harbor View

One employee at desk was a task person and not friendly. Didn't apologize for a couple of things we had to report to her that were problems. Seems like it was a training issue that management needs to shore up. Everyone else was great!

Helpfulness and friendliness of most employees . Gorgeous view!

• King Room with Marina View

It's a business hotel, not a vacations one. There's nothing special or "fun" about it.

Very easy when it comes to catch your flight with the free shuttle. Room was nice, clean and comfortable.

• King Room with Marina View

While most of the staff was friendly, the maids and support staff was not! Our room had an unpleasant view of the dirty and unkempt roof.

From the baggage handlers to the gentleman that checked us in (thanks for the champagne by the way), to room service staff (Miguel is absolutely awesome) the service was excellent!

• Superior King Room with Marina View

The building is okd and smells like it. The staff from front desk, to bellmen, to airport shuttle were rude and acted as if I didn't have a right to make them do their jobs. Didn't ask anything special of them. Just professional and presentable, which neither was met. Hated paying all that money for a high-rpend hotel that really was a budget hotel. Ugh!! So disappointed!!!

Location!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

Professional, friendly staff, clean, spectacular views.

Staff is courteous, professional, friendly, the view from the hotel spectacular. The food was delicious. The Hilton is the only hotel that offers soy milk I no longer have to drink my coffee black. Many hotels don't have or offer soy milk.. I have a bad allergy to dairy I will breakout in hives immediately.. Just for that I will continue to stay at the Hilton my #1choice.. Thanks Hilton!

Bathroom and shower

The room hotel is not looking like a picture the one it's was showing online Jerome he was not worth it what I pay like around $980 for three nights

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Harbor View

The doors have a very tight spring, so they SLAM whenever anyone lets them go. There was a conference going on; and the participants were up much of the night (not being loud themselves) and every time one of them left a room to go out to get ice, or soda, or to go to a different room, the doors SLAMMED--shaking the entire floor and rattling windows.

The view was awesome and the balcony was great!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

I didn't think the hilton should charge for parking when your already paying for the room. Not happy about the $22. Charge for 1 night

The beds were so comfy I couldn't get out of bed, great location.

• Queen Room

We arrived at midnight. No shuttle so we had to take an Uber. Nothing is still open which is a bummer if you're coming from a different time zone and would really like a snack and a glass of wine. Shuttle was available the next day back to the airport.

Location to the airport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was supposed to have a room facing the bay and I got a room looking down on the pole in the parking lot so I was very disappointed in that.

Had room service it was excellent the staff was very nice and the room was very clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The view out my window was to the air conditioning and it was dirty and had trash and cigarette butts all over. I ordered room service at 5pm and the next day at noon they were still by my door.

All of the pillows on the bed. I liked the coffee in the morning. The staff was super nice.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Queen Room with Harbor View

I loved everything but my favorite part was my view of the water.

The service was beyond excellent the view was amazing i love every second and minute of my stay the bell man was awesome. Thank u so much for helping me and allowing me to stay here on my birthday.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Queen Room

I checked out and immediately realized I forgot my $100+ shoes in the room. So I called while driving back and let staff know before they cleaned the room. The gentleman in front said he will look and give me a call back. He did not know that I was already on my way back. When I got there he told me they did not find my shoes. I calmly asked if the maid had already cleaned and he said no. He let us know that he could give us a key so we could double check. When getting into the room the shoes were in plain sight! Someone had moved them and placed them by the tv. So did they tell me they couldn't find my shoes because someone was trying to keep them?! SHADY. ALSO....parking was at an additional cost?! Even when your a guest? Inconvenient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The A/C in our room didn't work, and we had to sleep with the door open. Also the elevators were down for maintenance at time of checkout and created u huge inconvenience. For a Hilton it sure had its issues.

Location is great, beautiful view. Unfortunately it's across the bay from the Naval air station in Coronado and you have military aircraft operating until late at night.

• King Room with Marina View

The bathroom was small and the door was a little hard to manuver and would get stuck. They was no microwave and the breakfast was a little pricey considering the price of the hotel.

The view was great which made up for other deficits

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only issue was with the airport shuttle. I assumed they were frequently picking up from the airport and didn't know you had to call the hotel to get picked up. Being not from USA I don't have a us number and cannot make calls and waited 1hour before using another person's phone

• King Room with Marina View

If there was a filtered water option in the room other than buying a 4 dollar water that would have been cool. I prefer not drinking tap

I loved the harbor view! The bed was comfy! I slept very well, and normally do not sleep great at hotels!

• Queen Room with Harbor View

There is a weir sound in the fifth floor and from the AC. If I turn off the AC, the sound will went away in my room, but I still hear this sound in the middle of the night from outside. It's like someone is kicking a large metal container. this sound happened every 15 minutes if I turn on the AC and it is very loud. It's kind of scary. Also the parking is kind of expensive, $22 a night.

The location is very good. It's close to the airport but it's on a island, the view is good and you don't have noise from traffic. Also, you can enjoy a walk outside of the hotel, the view is pretty good.

• Queen Room

The room had a bunch of little gnats flying around, the night staff when we got there was not so friendly but finally accomodated us after making a scene for more than 30 minutes because they cancelled our reservation by mistake.

I liked the free breakfast buffet it was delicious

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

Connecting to the wireless internet service was problematic. It worked fine in the lobby but never could connect in the room. Also, while not the hotel's fault, someone in the room above us flooded their bathroom which resulted in water dripping into our bathroom (several gallons on the floor and caught in a trash can). Corey, the night maintenance staff, responded quickly and did what he could, supplying replacement towels. No comment or apology from hotel staff or offer of alternate arrangements, compensation, etc...they left Corey on his own to deal with it. A bit disappointing from a customer service perspective.

Good location for early flights out of San Diego. Prompt shuttle service. Ordered room service for dinner to get the kids in bed for an early flight. Kitchen staff was very flexible in substituting fruit for fries on the kid's meals....wish more institutions were this accomodating in providing healthy alternatives!

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Queen Room

Paid parking is bit much. Also the walls of the hotel are bit thin especially in the bathroom.

The location is excellent. Close to the airport and with great views of the city and water is on two sides of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Queen Room with Harbor View

had to call hotel to understand the different views. It's more of an issue on their website. The hotel has 3 sides, so 3 views. harbor is the harbor out to Point Loma, Coronado and the open ocean beyond that, marina is the boats and boat docs. There is a 3rd view that is city, coronado bay bridge and some harbor.

The harbor view was great.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Queen Room

One of the staff members were rude(attitude issues and failed to let us know about the additional options available). You have to pay additional to have a room view of the harbor. You also have to pay to park(self park with no valet).

I loved the location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

Parking was an extra cost and the lot is really small, but not a huge deal if you have patience to wait for someone to leave.

The beds were comfortable and the views were nice to wake up to.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Queen Room

I did not like my room location. I was near the stairs. I'm a light sleeper kept hearing the door slam most of the night then again early in the morning. Sleep interrupted often.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

- very small bathroom - car parking only with additional fee

- comfortable rooms with view to port or to marina (port view is better) - Hotel shuttle to/from airport on demand

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• King Room with Harbor View

We liked everything except the positioning of the balcony where other balconies could see us in our pajamas having breakfast!

We LOVED the fluffiness of the bed and mattress cover. Was like sleeping on a cloud! Linens were SO clean. And the water pressure shower was THE best I've ever had in a hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• King Room with Marina View

Would like to stay closer to downtown area.

Close to airport. Staff was very informative about the area attractions. Accomadations were nice, comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

Wouldn't turn the volume up on t v so we could hear the game, food and bevarge manager said they didn't t want to be a sports bar, so we went next door every nite to watch the games and spent our money at the Sheraton

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Superior Queen Room with Harbor View

Can't believe the hotel doesn't provide complimentary breakfast and charged 50 for two people breakfast also the room and bathroom were so small

Only the bay view..

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Queen Room

When i got here got a ticket for parking & the day i was leaving it said it was charging $11 & when i checked in they charged $22 per day

The staff was polite, the service was great, the view was nice, the location is convenient.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was in front of the hotel AC facility, lots of noise, no privacy, with workers walking on the roof doing construction through the day. We asked to change the room and we were told "it was the standard room" we had booked , we are APPALLED that a chain like Hilton would even put a guest room in such location on their premises, it should be a utility closet would never visit this hotel again and we are telling our friends, also filing complaint with consumers reports

Nothing in particulat

we stayed there this past weekend,in non-smoking rooms, but one of the rooms that we had smelled quite strong of cigarette smoke. We think it was from the bed linens...

• King Room with Harbor View

Problems with in room phone (dead battery); in room supplies (not replenished); parking fees for self-parking....no valet service available; one of two parking lots out of commission, and two of three elevators were out of service....lots of waiting with guests and housekeeping staff having to use 1-elevator; also, hotel failed to honor my Hilton Honors points since I booked thru booking.com (not made aware of this until we checked in).

• King Room with Harbor View

There is a naval helicopter port (?) across the harbour from the hotel, which was very noisy for the first part of the night, preventing me from leaving my balcony door open and turning off the AC.

I was only here for one night in order to catch an early flight the next day. I stayed in the room and used room service as I wanted to watch debate on TV. The food was average; better than expected, to be honest! The room was comfortable, if a bit tired, especially in the bathroom. There was a spectacular view of the harbour and downtown sparkling in the evening sun. The next morning, the shuttle arrived at 4:45 as promised and got me to the terminal in 5 minutes.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The free van to down town. Terrible shopping centre. Also terrible expresso coffee and difficult to find close by. Staff were not helpful We found coffee at airport

Room lovely

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

No hot water, no microwave. We had to go to lobby to get someone to take baby bottle to warm up. Rooms very small. Bathrooms even smaller

Comfortable beds, nice balcony and pool view

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the free shuttle down town The staff were not helpful with information The hotel makes absolutely terrible coffee. I had to spit out

We loved using the bikes to ride the shore

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Harbor View

The room was not available until well after check in time which meant I was required to take kids wet from the beach to do something for a few hours until it was ready. The cards to be able to park in the lot did not work which meant I paid to park at the hotel plus I paid to park somewhere else in order to park our car. There were no towels available at the hotel because they were so busy they said, so the staff told us to take our room towels down to use but then did not have any more room towels that were dry for us to use.

The view from the balcony.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Marina View

other then a bed to sleep in the Hotel really had nothing to offer every time I would ask staff for something they would say they didn't have but we could go over to the Shariton for it. I finally said I should have just booked my stay at the Shariton.

rooms were ok but no microwave

• King Room with Harbor View

Limited range of restaurants within walking distance, but there were enough for a short stay. If you want to use a taxi or rental car...plenty of options

Extremely friendly and helpful staff...very customer oriented and service-driven!!! Shuttle service to airport was prompt and easy to use.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not enough food places within walking distance. For some reason this place is not easily located via GPS.

People were super, super nice.....from the maid service to the front desk.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Queen Room

This hotel runs on minimal staff. I was relying on Bell service to help with bags, but that one person also drives the van to airport. Had to carry my bags myself and hurt my back. This is not what I thought Hilton was all about. I got the same service here as I could have gotten from one of those low end motels. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else.

Not much. Hilton Honors member and sent in special requests. Checked in around 10 AM and came back at 10:30 PM only to find not one request was fulfilled. Nothing positive to say except save your money for another hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking fee, limited restaurant options within walking distance.

Friendly staff, view, pet friendly hotel, one time fee for pets, recently remodled rooms, clean, quiet, central location, lots of restaurant options within 2-3 miles.