Reviews of Hilton San Diego/Del Mar 3 stars

15575 Jimmy Durante Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92014, USA

#120 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Checking in was a disaster-staff was rude and our keys didn't work. Parking was expensive. The area was under a lot of construction.

The pool was really amazing.

Everything was fantastic except for the valet. They were a bit overwhelmed because of the amount of guests that weekend due to the Del Mar Horse Show. They were not always answering the phone or getting my car within a reasonable amount of time, but they were great guys and very friendly. I would self-park next time.

Huge, newly updated rooms. Clean and comfortable. Nice outdoor seating area and pool. Friendly staff. Enjoyed our stay there!

• Deluxe King Room with View

Bathroom was large and clean but the tub/shower felt a bit dated. Also, the outdoor area was beautiful but we noticed that a few of the lounge chairs were broken or dirty. Thankfully, there were many other chairs to choose from.

Great location, large room, nice amenities, and overall very comfortable place to stay. The outdoor space is beautiful and great for a day by the pool or an evening outside by the fires. We stayed 4 nights and really enjoyed our time at this hotel.

The food and parking was extremely overpriced and food came incomplete from what was stated on the menu. Also room liked clean until close inspection.

The beds were very comfortable, I liked the front desk staff very much and the pool was perfect.

• Deluxe King Room with View

Everything was good. No complaints.

The front desk manager Desmond was VERY courteous upon my arrival. He allowed me to check in earlier than 4 o clock due to being jet lagged. He exceeded my expectations and I look forward to seeing him and the hotel again. Thanks for having me.

That you had CNN on every TV in the Lobby. Why not have both Fox and CNN. It was very frustrating.

Great place if you are traveling for Business, very clean and the staff was Awesome

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

We added breakfast through Bookings.com (25$ per person) and still had to pay another 8$ to get access to the full breakfast buffet, which was not impressive unfortunately

Michael who helped us with the car and bags when we arrived was amazing. Nice room

• Deluxe King Room with View

I always enjoy staying at this Hilton. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean and updated. I find it to be a great place for business or pleasure.

Staff very helpful and nice. Food off the menu was very good. That should be in your ad rather than just stating the buffet cost. Room issue was bathroom fan and light one switch, should be 2 separate switches. Sounds like a 747 in the room when someone uses it in the middle of the night. Parking rotes are way too high. Expect to pay for valet service a reasonable amount. But, self parking overnight should be free not $22 per night!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

I have attached a picture of my sheets that were like this when I arrived! I was horrified and disgusted and called housekeeping IMMEDIATELY. it was too late for anyone to come that night. Even after several requests, they never came the entire next day, finally at 6pm I called again for service, they come to clean the room and we left for several hours, came back to a clean room, turned down the bed, and the stain is STILL THERE! They didn't change my sheets, they just made the bed..I called them immediately to come back and change the linens, 3 people came and they did not want me taking pictures...

I was disappointed with everything, first we were entitled to 2 welcome drinks, they said they knew nothing about it and handed us 2 small plastic bottles of water, booking.com promised 2 welcome cocktails...next they switched our room, to a first floor instead of our 2nd floor reservation.

Nothing within walking distance. Soundproofing terrible. It sounded like a herd of elephants living above us.

Beautiful property. Check in was easy and smooth.

We arrived on the labour day holiday weekend and it was very busy with many noisy children running around. However after this initial concern and many families departed it was a really good experience the hotel facilities and moreover the staff were excellent. A special comment must go to the people on the main desk and also the car valet guys outside they were more than excellent. Overall we would recommend this hotel and it's location, but suggest that consideration be given to holiday times and when the horse racing events occur.

• Executive King Room with View

The most frustrating thing to me was the advertised "view" turned out to be of a bush and the kids' pool. Yes, that's a view, I suppose. But there is not an ocean view from any room in this hotel.

Breakfast was lovely, albeit expensive. Room service options were varied, and I appreciated the hours available. The restaurant is gorgeous. The bed was super comfortable, and the overall hotel environment was quiet.

Everything was top notch for service and location. I would definitely recommend this Hotel and I would definitely stay there on my next visit to Del Mar.

• Executive King Room with View

We enjoyed our stay, very convenient to the race track. We were there for business & leisure but didn't get to spend much time on the property but would defiantly go back! Friendly staff, comfortable rooms great location!

The A/C was very poor. Homeless camp on other side of chain link fence in parking lot- unsafe for sure. No elevators at back of building. Have to climb up stairs with luggage. Nervy to charge $22/day for SELF PARK with no elevators looking at a homeless camp. I was not told by you in advance about parking fee! The bill included overcharges for dinners I didn't order- pays to check your bill here! Maid didn't clean toilet daily and there is no self serve toilet cleaning tools but then we might be charged if there was.

The bed was comfortable

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

I sensed an unpleasant smell walking in the room even though the room was spotless. This issue can be easily fixed with air refreshers.

Nice Hotel, clean room with a nice balcony and immediate access to lobby Staff were very friendly and helpful, Good Break fast and a pleasant Happy hour with plenty of light food and drinks. We really enjoyed our stay there and would love to go back!!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Well, I was under the impression from the description and the pictures of the hotel that it would be a little more upscale. In my opinion, it was fairly run-of-the-mill; a chain hotel feel. Their posted rates would be a little high for that property, it's my feeling.

The hotel was certainly located close to my ultimate destination, (Del Mar Racetrack). The staff were courteous and helpful. I liked that there was a free shuttle service to the track and it worked very well.

Too expensive.

Reservation made by Booking.com showed my Middle name as my surname. Leading to a 15 minute delay upon arrival. I have stayed at the hotel before - but it is now expensive compared to some local hotels.

That you have to pay for parking when your a guest and the wi fi was free only for a day and one device...who uses only one device with a family or partner or when traveling for business? This property would be beyond a 10 if those things where included for free and more then one device.

Facilities, cleanliness, staff all excellent.

The only problem was, i woke up around 12am because i can hear people walking alot upstairs and it was kinda loud. You can hear them walking back and forth and it was annoying. It took about 1 hour to stop.

CAn't think of anything---maybe if they had their own shuttle to the airport would be nice.

Everything was great. Very friendly staff the entire two days.

Mattress could be a little more comfortable but was okay

Starting with the parking attendants every single employee at the Hilton was great. We were treated so well I will return real soon and hope I get a good rate. The only thing I didn't care for was dogs 2 times they came through where we were eating in the Club Lounge.

Kid was running and screaming up and down the hallway(early morning)

Staff was able to accommodate my request for an early check in. They also allowed me to pay in advance for my room, which I prefer.

San Diego Fair across street created traffic, but we decided to walk to it and attend so it wasn't too bad. But that is seasonal. Would be nice to have designated smoking area, but at least there were random ashtrays.

Beds were super comfy, nice and quiet. Nice heated pool, nice walk (30 min) to beach. Clean, nice staff. Was nice to have restaurant downstairs and pool side service. Allowed for us to grab a drink and not worry about driving--let alone they had activities to keep our kids entertained.

I didn't like that the restaurant staff was unfriendly and lazy. They broke a glass twice while serving my wedding party guests and the glass was not swept up. I had to ask multiple times different staff for extra utensils, drinks, and menu. We had a wedding party of 22 people. Maybe they never serve groups this large. The fish tacos tasted like the fish was past its expiration date as well as the tomatoes. Fish smelled bad. Carne asada was not seasoned, chicken stripes were way over cooked. Seemed like they refried old chicken. Very pricey food and poor quality. We should have eaten at Dennys next door.

The bedding was soft, clean felt wonderful. room was clean and staff noted it was my wedding day and the towels shaped like swans on the bed was a nice touch

Paying 22.00 a day to park when we were already paying 245.00 for the room seemed a little much.

Spacious lobby area and very nice staff. We enjoyed our room, it was clean and well appointed, with lots of space. The beds were quite comfortable. The bar area was very nice and the dining area offered a very nice selection for breakfast. The pet friendly aspect of staying at this facility was a huge bonus. The grounds are beautiful with a large sparkling pool and lots of outdoor seating. The outdoor movies were a nice touch for the families staying there. We will certainly come again.

Didn't know the area well and didn't know any events happening around the area to find out the fair was in session and it took me 2.5 hours to drive 3 miles upon entering the hotel grounds! Already irritated when I arrived the valet person wanted me to parallel park my "big" truck in between 2 cars that possibly could have fit a compact car, so that I could go check in! Not a good way to start my stay!

Was very family and activity oriented. Loved the outdoor movie

The only disappointment was the hidden fees added on to your bill that are not mentioned in the policy when you book. Expect a good $60 - $70 add on to your bill, be aware of this and call the main hotel to check. Bummed there wasn't a microwave.

Hilton always provides the best service. I went to the Del Mar fair so this location was perfect to walk to and from the fair. Front desk clerk Amy was so helpful with my early check in and was on top of updating me when my room was ready, great customer service. The king bed I stayed in was spacious and comfortable.

• Executive Queen Room with View

The parking was expensive ($22/day) and was very hard to find a space as the fair was across the street and I believe they opened up the parking to the general public. Engineering was upgrading in the hotel and my tv and internet were down for 2 days out of my 3 day stay. I was on the phone for 2 days trying to get it resolved but it never was. They offered to comp my parking and give me 30% off 1 night. When I checked the bill it was not done. I had to insist.

The bed was amazing. The cleaning staff were on point. They are very creative with things to do as a family.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Executive King Room with View

TV didnt have a guide channel so you couldn't tell what was on.

Firepits were great to relax around at the end of the night Staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful. Pet friendly.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

Paying $22/day for parking.

Friendly and accommodating staff. Heated pool. Fire pits. Location close to restaurants, supermarket (Whole Foods), and freeway.

It would have been nice to have a couple smaller pillows, but we made do with the extra large ones.

The eggs were extra fluffy and the bed was like a cloud. No joking. Both my husband and I commented on how comfortable the bed was. Wonderful bathroom with soooo much room. Really great food and service on the outdoor patio. Loved it all.

Grounds could use a few less weeds. You notice it walking your dogs! Not enough elevators!

The dogs get to come with us. It's really clean, beds are comfortable, people who work there are so friendly!

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

The listing made it seem as if it was going to be a high level floor with special/private lounge access The hotel had three floors, our high level room was on the second floor....Our pool view room was completely obstructed by trees. The food was not good at all, 50%of my room service charge was removed but not until a manager was sent to talk to me about his thoughts about where they get their food, what organic spices taste like and what hydroponic lettuce looks like...for 15 minutes as I was trying to check out with young children. The conversation was actually insulting. The tomato soup was extremely sour as if it had gone bad and the lettuce had black spots, not dirt as he suggested, to the point of it being inedible. He was not happy to reduce the charge at all which made the already uncomfortable discussion even more awkward. I made the mistake of eating in the restaurant the morning we checked out, the food was served cold. I didn't even bother to mention that because the initial conversation was proving to be a real hassle. The welcome drink was never offered and paying extra for the special room with "lounge access" was ridiculous. Everyone had access to the lounge as it was in the lobby.

The hotel was clean and modern. The staff was friendly for the most part. (Addressing an issue brought forth a whole different attitude)

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

* Expensive self-park * Hotel lacks elevators (only 2 at the front of the hotel) * Rude Enterprise rent-a-car staff in the hotel

Double queen room was spacious Close to the beach

• Executive Queen Room with View

Some staff didn't seem knowledgable. The receptionist couldn't find my reservation even though I had confirmed 2 weeks prior. Then my key didn't work when I got to my room. Not enough towels left after house keeping cleaned our room.

Location was ideal

• Executive King Room with View

Couple of staffs were rude specially the person who checked us out, very rude not even smile , grumpy face the whole time, Ac went out in the 2 hours after we got to the room, Food was pricey and very little, $15 for a salad and $15 for a sandwich that's understandable but the bill came up to $42 because of service charge or what ever so I wasn't so happy about that and they didn't mention anything we I ordered plus I tipped the person $10 which i was happy to do that , Not very happy about the charges for no reason, The room was very simple, I reserved a king size bed but they gave me a two queen bed which I'm cool with that but yet that was not professional. Customer service when we checked out sucked bad please look into the person who checked us out, she needs to learn how to welcome and how to check out people in a nice way. Short chubby Mexican girl who checked us out on Sunday the 26th of March around 11am.

The view and area

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

I was to receive a $50.00 credit for each night at the facility, but it was NOT included with the booking information. Really disappointed as it was a major factor in selecting this hotel.

Great hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

The hotel is not really walking distance from anything. It's 1 mile to the beach. They do offer shuttle services, but I would prefer to be in the downtown area next time.

Very comfortable bed and large room. Bathroom adequate. Overall appearance of the hotel is pleasant but nothing glitzy. Staff was extremely nice. The room service cheeseburger was amazing!

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

WiFi was somewhat unreliable.

Very good, complete breakfast. Very comfortable dining surroundings. Our room was huge. Happy hour offerings were excellent. ..salad, cheeses, crackers, veges, cookies. Concierge was knowledgeable and helpful. Shuttle service to local shopping and beaches. Front desk was accommodating and frienfly.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Was very disappointed that hotel was under construction and was not told Was in San Diego visiting family and was looking forward to days end and sitting around the bar and or fire pits Lobby was very cold

Didn't have breakfast

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Prices. Changed towels every day even though they recommend we conserve water and reuse the towels, which we tried to do.

Nice bed. Location--close to family.

Room was very stuffy. Thank goodness I could open the windows a crack to get the smell of the cleaners they used out of the room. Poor ventilation Also there was plenty of parking but the hotel charged an extra $20 night to park

They offered a continental breakfast in the mornings and there was also a small bar/restaurant on premise that was convenient

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

The place was filthy it took me calling 4 times in a 5-hour span to have a cot I requested upon check-in to be brought up. In two and a half hours for towels to be delivered and I had to call 3 times on that too. The people in the room next to us came in at 1 in the morning with about 15 people partying it up banging on the walls and smoking cigarettes which we could smell it in the hallways and in our room. When we called down to the front desk they were rude and said well that's weird why didn't you call earlier. I will never go back to this place I recommend it to anybody else

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

This is an older hotel which has been tastefully redecorated and is very clean.

Within walking distance of Del Mar racetrack, shuttle service within 5 mile radius.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Despite receiving a confirmation of my booking from booking.com, the hotel did not have the booking. This was only discovered once I phoned the hotel to tell them that I was going to arrive later that day due to airline delays. This involved multiple phone calls, and a massive phone bill. It was incredibly frustrating. This hotel is more than 30min from town. I would not recommend it if you were going to spend most of your time in town. But it is great if you are visiting the beaches and La Jolla. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, altough there is some wear and tear. You are near the Fairgrounds which can cause heavy traffic, but it also adds some ambiance. The informal restaurant has good food, but it is really noisy.

The vallet's (esp Whitney and Jimmy) were amazing. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and help us plan our stay. Their complementary shuttle (to within a 5mile radius) is really good, as you are located a long way from many things (town is > 30min drive). Lots of nice areas to sit out in the sun and enjoy the long evening.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

We had some discrepancies with some other people staying at the hotel and the hotel did nothing. They told us we could go stay at another hotel

The staff was about the only thing that was great about our stay

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Executive Queen Room with View

Room was nothing like photos on website. Their that room w a sink next to bed instead of a tub their joking. Room cleaning didnt remove all dirty towels. Room was small.no coffee pot.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

Sometimes the bar and wait staff in the restaurant get a bit overwhelmed and so we have had some poor and very slow service there (we have stayed at the hotel 4-5 times since July). Food is just okay. Breakfast buffet is great.

Beautiful rooms and comfortable beds. Very clean. Bathrooms are okay - could use some updating, but for the price, we were happy. The staff is friendly and helpful. Love the outdoor seating area on the patio, and great live music some nights.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Very loud highway noises apparent from almost every area of the hotel Had to pay more to face away from highway and could still hear traffic Parking unusually expensive for property amenities and location - it probably should have been free Need more elevators

Room was clean

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Deluxe King Room with View

Photos online show walking down to beach. So not true! Very misleading. Bathroom fan comes on LOUD every time you turn on light and wakes the other person up. First time unhappy with bookings.com as I could have walked in the door and paid alot less money!

It is a nice facility and liked that it was near Del Mar racetrack.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Executive Queen Room with View

The location and not being told prior to the reservation it was across from a racetrack. Was told by Hilton that "No Pets", we are pet lovers, imagine our anger when we found out that this was a pet friendly facility.

Staff was great Accommodation were excellent Access to room from parking was great View from room was superb

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Booked for 5 people. Asked at check in if room was set up for 5. Had to phone down twice more for extra bed....

Room was nice and clean. Good pool. Love he free shuttle service, and the guys who ran that were really helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room with View

I've stayed in this hotel since it was built several years ago and the room was not as described . Decor was nice though . Hint: do not stay on the bottom floor because you will hear footsteps all night above you and if you get a balcony room it's not like having a balcony .

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Executive Queen Room with View

The menu is good, I wish you could add a more pasta kids friendly dish, such as, spaghetti bolognese. Your wine list is excellent. My father, who is 90, asked not to be too far from the elevator so he didn't have to walk a long way, and was placed in a room a bit far.

my family has been coming to the Delmar Hilton for over 20 years. My mother passed away last summer and the staff has treated my father so kindly, particularly,the concierge. There is a lovely Hispanic lady and son who work in the restaurant at breakfast and they are so friendly, service oriented and always remember us. Karen, I believe, in the Hilton honours lounge is exemplary and deserves a raise whatever u pay her. Your fitness room is really nice and well laid out.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

The service on the bar was a lady no personality for give a welcome and the drinks was not quality in taste ... sorry but really disliked

Beautiful Hotel the rooms very stunning

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

The first night I found bugs in my bed. So at 2am I had to switch rooms. Numerous other days the rooms weren't cleaned until after 3pm. On the 2nd day of my stay I walked in to find my room dirty and housekeeping standing at the foot of the bed watching tv.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

Unfortunately right across the street from the fairgrounds and it was a traffic nightmare around the hotel. Also, rooms, pool area, landscaping all need upgrading. Rooms are somewhat newly renovated but for the price could be better appointed.

Easy to park, near freeway.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room with View

Rooms were pretty small, expected something a little bigger.

Bed was amazing and the facilities were amazing on the inside and area by the pool was really nice especially at night.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Executive Queen Room with View

Loved that guests could view the amazing fireworks display at the Del Mar Fairgrounds from the cozy grass area in front of the hotel!! :) And the movie, popcorn and warm fires in the evening were a really nice touch for so many families!

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Our reservation was under my husband's first name instead the last name as I had given it properly when I registered on-line. Luckily, I had taken along the printed confirmation of my reservation. That should not happen. Then, we had to wait near to two hours for the room to be ready. We arrived at 12:00 Noon. I am 96 years old, we are Honors Members, that should surely not happen. The rest of our stay was fine. Marthe Cohn Author and Guest speaker.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

I traveled with my daughter that was blind and the staff were so helpful in getting us a great room and the shuttle was excellent. I would definitly stay there again.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Parking was not that convient.

The pool and fire pit area was very nice. The hotel is within walking distance to Del Mar fairgrounds.

Friendly staff clean and comfortable rooms great pool area. Just everything.

Only one elevator on opposite side of where the room was. Daily parking fee was high

Good location, cozy outdoor firepits

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

$22 for parking

Building needs to be painted. Restaurant had excellent service and the best food I have ever had at a hotel!

Shuttle service was great

The t.v in the room

The shuttle service and staff were exceptional!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

It was extremely clean and very Home like. It was very comfortable and beautiful!

• Club Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lounge Access

Small elevator, narrow parking spaces

Pool, amenities, staff

Traffic noise was very loud when the window was open

Very clean, beds and pillows were super comfortable.

Shower nozzle was a little difficult to find the right temperature for me. It could have been me!!

Location!!

Bed to soft

I liked everything

Very well located hotel! It has been a very comfortable and pleasant stay

Browse Hilton San Diego/Del Mar traveller photo gallery