Reviews of Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter 4 stars

401 K Street, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#89 of 226 hotels in San Diego

6.1

When we arrived I inquired about staying a second night and...
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

When we arrived I inquired about staying a second night and was told it wouldn’t be a problem but on the afternoon of the second day I was told I would have to leave because I didn’t have a reservation for a second night and there was nothing available at another hotel so I had to go to another city to find a room! Management would not listen to me!

had lots of fun
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

the tap water was grouse it was black dirty it only had regular cable no movies to rent the bathrooms needed to be up dated and the conscaue if thats how you spell it he was wasnt great at giving use tour discount broshures

staying the lofts were cool great view close to everything

Awful! Airbnb next time
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

Arrived and had issues checking in as the staff were unwilling to communicate with booking.com. I had to call and chase the problem even though staff at Hilton commented that this always happens. Staff were super rude and unhelpful. Disliked the check in and check out. Checkout they charged the car park to a separate card having told me my card didn't work. I didn't even know I was paying for parking at the desk. Bad communication.

The bed was comfy and iron in room

Love San Diego!

Property was great. I just feel for the price a breakfast should have included. Plus, there was no microwave in the room so we couldn't heat up our leftovers.

It was centrally located to every place we wanted to go.

Best value and great location to book on short notice

The room looked old and in need of a major renovation. The carpet looked dingy and the bathtub looked like it was recycled from someone’s old house. There was no fan in the bathroom, so it remained stuffy after a shower.

The property was clean and the windows in the room opened for some fresh air. Despite being close to restaurants and bars, it was pretty quiet.

Comfortable bed.

For what I paid for one night stay, I would of expected not to see rust in the inside of the tub. At first I wasn't sure what it was until I tried to clean it and realized it was rust. Old yellow orange color. Their was also a foul smell coming from the fositt water and had to use one of the water bottles $5.00 water bottle to brush my teeth:(. The top of the bathroom cover didn't seem to fit and it was like an openning. Sorry not sure how to describe it.

Comfortable bed. Front desk and parking attendants were very nice. Good location was able to walk to the near by restaurants and bars.

Great if your there for the convention center... other than that I wouldn’t recommend
    • King Room Terrace Loft

The noise of the city, room service only to 11 pm, vending machine on floor not working, poor cleanliness

The location is very close to the convention center, many entery points making accessibility very great. However the hotel is old and the level of cleanliness is below expectations

Incredible Value for the Location! A Homeru1n
    • King Room with View

No dislikes. Well maybe a movie channel but there was so much to do I doubt I would have used.

Location was perfection and room was very comfortable and accommodating.

The location of this place is great for exploring Gaslamp.

The only thing I had trouble with was the hotel tried to charge me an extra fee for a restaurant I did not eat at.

The location of this place is great for exploring Gaslamp. The room was great and the staff was friendly. Would recommend you stay here for any occasion.

Good value
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

Poor staf rating was based on Valet. Male valet on duty Saturday morning was very rude. He should not be consumer facing. A back of the house position would be better suited for his attitude

Overall good, but manager ruined my stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds with French Balcony

The staff rating is not a reflection on the staff, just the manager who tried to put us in a room that didn't meet our booking. Tried to put 2 males in a king bed when I had confirmation of a 2 bed room. Advised by the manager that there were no twin beds left, but when I pushed - it amazingly appeared out of nowhere. Other staff members were helpful.

Room was nice. Location perfect.

It was mediocre.

I didnt like the 50 dollar fee to park at the property. I felt the staff wasn’t helpful or professional. They mocked my boyfriend when he asked for alternative parking. I felt that the staff was laughing at us. Their hospitality didn’t feel genuine.

I liked the cleanliness.

Good experience for the weekend, but would't stay there again!
    • King Room with View

The pool wasn't open due to construction. We were told that it would be open when we booked this weekend. Our son was very disappointed. The $49.00 parking fee was high. Should have been much lower for guests who just spent $250.00 a night on a room.

Location was great for walking around the Gaslamp area.

Hateful not value for money

The staff member was blunt I was not offered Wi-Fi. After just spending 8 nights in another Hilton as my rewards account was messed up. There was hair in the bathroom 😖 The bed was not comfortable Cost overall not value for money Parking price shocking

The proximity to the local activity

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

I didn't know the hotel wasn't a union hotel. That was upsetting.

The hotel was pretty nice. I liked the lobby and the accessibility to downtown.

• King Room Terrace Loft

The property was located well, and the building was renovated .

Location was next to the convention center, and the Gaslamp area. Lot of restaurants, and also near the tram.

were nice, expensive

The table, coffee maker, lights were very dusty. Coughing or sneezing you will see dust all over Need to clean better in room. Not sure why parking is more expensive than other same level hotels

Location location Receptionists were excellent

Great hotel and the location was perfect!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Housekeeping was ready to clean our room around 4 pm each day. We were out all day and happened to be back both times they came so never had the rooms cleaned up or restocked. However, when we did see them in the hallway they provided us with whatever we needed.

Great hotel and the location was perfect!

Great location!

See above

Great location! I like the overall look of the hotel but the rooms were average for the price we paid. We ran into a couple issues like being locked out of our room (I guess the battery died) and the shower drain was clogged.

Good Hotel, but with some shortcomings.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds with French Balcony

Bathroom has old applications. The pool we saw out the window was a construction site. Parking for 50$ a night is quite a lot.

Perfect location for going out at night.

Great location - just across the street from the convention...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Breakfast was overpriced. So I walked two blocks and ate breakfast for half the Hilton price at the Broken Yolk Cafe.

Great location - just across the street from the convention center. At the end of a long and tiring day at the expo it was just a short walk across the street to the hotel.

6.0
    besides the first half hour, the experience was satisfactory

Bellhop service didn’t go as we would have liked. Had to bring our own luggage to our room with a bellhop cart. And then we’re treated very rudely by the front desk staff about taking the cart.. when we asked if we could just leave the cart outside of our room, after we unloaded our luggage. We were told be front desk that we had to bring it down ourselves. When cart was returned the front desk was very rude about the situation. Saying, “that for future reference, don’t ever take a bell hop cart.” We were not informed about our luggage when we checked in and it was just sitting by the front desk on a cart. So we grabbed the cart ourselves and struggled with it to the elevator. There was three front desk attendants at that time, none of them told us we couldn’t take it. Until we got to our room and recieved the rude phone call.

Bed was like a cloud.. we enjoyed the different entrances to the hotel.

Location is amazing.
    • Corner King Room

Not much but a soap rack in the shower would be helpful.

Location is amazing. Central to the Gaslamp area close to some of the best restaurants. Hotel clean and modern with outstanding service from staff

We wish we would have stayed somewhere else.

The air conditioning in the room was not working correctly. Despite talking with the staff this was not addressed. The amenities described by booking.com about the property were not accurate.

Business meeting
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Toilet being plugged up when we got there

TV did not work until we called about the Toilet being plugged up. when then maintenance man came in to take care of the toilet he asked about the TV and sent another man up to program it.

It was ok - expect more from a Hilton.
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

We were supposed to have a french balcony, but didn’t. We weren’t warned about this and had to request for the refund to the lower room rate at check out. The air conditioning was very loud, especially when it turned on/off. There weren’t many lights in the room so it was quite dark. The toilet roll dispenser was extremely hard to find (practically hidden under the basin). Also - No kettle for tea!

It was a good location to access both the bay and the Gaslamp strip. The tv was giant.

Great location with some issues at the front desk

I been charged twice in my debit card due to an error made by one of the employees, despite I talked several times with the front desk they didn´t solve it after ten days. For the moment I continue trying to get my money through e-mail with hilton but it seems that it cannot be solved as quickly as it should be.

Location, location, location

Nice room.

Parking. Only Valet parking, very expensive. Should be included in the price up front, and should be more visible on booking. Parking available isn't good enough if it adds 60 dollars to the price + tips it should be more evident exactly what parking is available.

Nice room. Big TV

location, clean, quiet !
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

although mostly cooperative & professional, reception desk staff (girls in particular) need to cheer up a little & may be "smile" !

location, clean, quiet !

Disappointingly poor.

When we checked in they advised there was a scheduled power outage that night between 10pm-6am. There was no prior warning, they didn't email to advise, were not apologetic and all they could say is we will waive the cancellation charge if you want to go to another hotel. We chose to stay as it was a hassle with all our luggage. My wife showered at 6am expecting the power to come back on as we had to leave at 7:30am. It didn't do she had to leave with wet hair. When I enquirer at the desk they said, oh we've been told it will be 9am now. Again no warning, put a note under guests door and advise them. So poor. You also have to pay for everything as an extra. Parking is $50 per night, internet $14 a night, a bottle of water in your room $5. Very poor service and certainly would not consider returning.

It was clean.

A five star hotel with a great view, very clean facility and awesome location
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

They charge $10 to deliver food orders from room service.

The hotel is very clean and centrally located. Great restaurants in the area and hand rolled cigar shops.

I guess it was average
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

They didn't have the room I ordered, so instead I got a wifi code which I couldn't even put in so I didn't use the wifi because of the charge. The room was small for the price. Parking and breakfast was too expensive. We got a view of the dead dog park.

It's a convenient location.

It was close to Petco Park and where we wanted to go.

The hotel was ok, we couldnt get a king bed so we had to get two double beds. They called it a "UPGRADE". Well it wasn't and the shower was broken. It wasn't a very great experience.

It was close to Petco Park and where we wanted to go.

Nasty stay make me never want to stay at a hotel again
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

The room look as it they left the same sheets from the previous guess when I Found out they did that nothing about the hotel I wanted to stay there

Nothing's the hotel staff was so bad and rude

Great stay :)

Leaving

A great hotel at the end of the Gaslamp Quarter. Everything was perfect - The location/staff/room/amenities/pool We all really enjoyed San Diego and would definitely recommend staying here.

Fantastic location, walk everywhere then sleep it off in a very comfortable bed

Parking very expensive at hotel. Staff unable to light fire pits on terrace seating level because they ran out of propone and said they'd bring the outside heaters over to our seating area, but never did, despite many requests to do so by many in our party.

View was grand, location within walking distance of everything I wanted to do, room was very nice size, bed very comfortable, staff excellent and helpful. I will definitely stay here again.

Hilton at San Diego Gaslamp Sucks!
    • King Room with View

They first couldn't find my reservation. Then assigned me to a handicapped room. At the end charged me twice of the previously quoted fee. After I objected and presented my confirmation document, they reluctantly adjusted their rate. Moreover, the parking rate was publicized as $15.00 but they charged me $49.99 for one night. I will never stay at this property.

We enjoyed the location, the friendly staff, and the design...

The bathrooms need to be upgraded and cleaned a bit more. The shower was not in the best condition.

We enjoyed the location, the friendly staff, and the design of the room. It was so nice to be able to open the windows for some fresh air!

What a beautiful place...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Have a problem with valet only parking and the fact they charge $49 to park. My advice is to park up the block for 1/4 to 1/2 that price.

Everything was great staff is awesome. Breakfast was awesome. Location is stellar.

Overpriced for what it is.

Dirty bathroom, dirty sheets

It was a nice room, but out dated. The bathroom was small, and there was still hair from the previous guest, sheets had dried blood.

The shower was dirty, the A/C was loud.

The shower was dirty, the A/C was loud. Where we were located it was very noisy, our neighbors were slamming the door at late hour of the night and we kept waking up (1,2,3 in the morning).

They defrauded my credit card.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

I was over charged for the room, which took some time to resolve with the manager. I was also charged for unknown items on my card that they could not account for. They refused to refund me and just told me to talk to my bank.

• Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

Train tracks right next to property.

Great location to gas lamp district, great restaurants within walking distance , shopping. We had a corner king room, very nice

It was a Nice hotel!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

I didn't like paying $50 for parking and they need bigger beds, we got a room with 2 beds so me and my boyfriend slept on one and I had like no room to move and our friend slept on the other and she said the bed was uncomfortable. I do like the rooms to be clean but it seemed like they used a whole gallon of bleach, thank goodness for the windows open we had to sit by them to get fresh are because are eyes were burning form the smell.

It was a Nice hotel!!

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Great location and comfortable hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Toilet in bathroom didn't work properly and had no fan so it was very steamy after showering. Had to call maintenance twice before they fixed the toilet.

Great location, comfortable beds, nice decor

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Hilton stay -Presidents' Day weekend
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

The only negative aspect of our stay was the beginning during check in. Hotel regulations says check in is at 3:00 pm but our room was not quite ready for some reason so we waited and was told it would be ready in 15 mins. We were being really patient and understanding but felt the front desk staff that I checked in with was being a little rude not only to me but my fiancé. As time was going by and we were in the lobby waiting we decided to go ask again for the room because it was already 3:45 pm. As we went to the front desk she said our room wasn't ready and that you can go back and sit down and wait. I was not trying to make a bigger issue than it was and told her we'll take another room because it was already 4:10pm and we just wanted to get started on our weekend get away. In conclusion the front desk staff that assisted me was quite rude, and felt she was keeping us from getting to our room and making us wait on purpose but other than that the stay at the Hilton was okay.

I enjoyed the comfort of the room, where the hotel was located, and also enjoyed how housekeeping was so helpful and kind to us during our stay. also enjoyed how some staff kept the hotel clean, and made sure we needed everything to be comfortable during our stay. I liked how the room included a free breakfast online but we were told that we were wrong that our information was incorrect, but that was okay.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Disappointed in our stay.

This location you got nickel and dimed for everything. Charged $49 a day to park. $12 a day for Wifi and $25 for breakfast. No excuse to charge for these things. I can stay at a Holiday Inn for cheaper and it will include all these things for free.

Location was great.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Stay during Distributech 2017 in San Diego

Requires more attention to maintenance including bed reading lights and bath tub

Clean Hotel with many facilities including a well managed gym and pool

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Spectacular location, walkable to everything.

The only gripe here was the fitness center -- it lacked a stationary bike, which is how I prefer to workout. But that's being picky.

The location is absolutely ridiculous. It's 2 blocks to anything you could ever want to go see in downtown, especially if you're single and on vacation.

Nice hotel, great location!

A continental breakfast was not included. It was available for an extra fee. This is the first time a breakfast was not included with my booking, I hope more hotels do not start to do the same.

The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The location was a huge plus for me; close to a transit station, Petco Park and the Gas Lamp Quarter.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

The beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly.

The beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly. The location could not be beat, easy walking to downtown and to the light rail to access the rest of San Diego.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Not the best :(

Did not get what we paid for... we paid for a deluxe King. Bed was not a king and the room was very very small. I talked to front desk and he said but your room got the balcony. I don't care for a balcony!( you couldn't even take one step out of the balcony)lol I want the room I payed for.

Loved The location of the hotel...

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Funtimes at the Gaslamp Hilton!
    • King Room with View

Valet parking was very expensive, however, we were directed to a parking garage a short walk from the hotel that was perfect.

The location was perfect for all our needs. The room was comfortable and clean and the lobby area was welcoming and relaxing. The elevators were fast, too.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Not worth the money- I won't go back!
    • King Room with View

The room, while clean and updated, was small and the bathroom was what you would expect in a Best Western or Holiday Inn. The hotel in general seemed like a high rise motel. The pool was very small and cold, the gym ws also very small. We tried the buffet breakfast and it was the worst hotel buffet I've ever had. You could not have eggs or omelets unless you ordered them from a server, but the few other hot items they offered were on buffet line. By the time our eggs finally arrived the potatoes and bacon were cold. The service was slow and not friendly. Valet parking is $47.00.

The location is the only outstanding feature of this hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Don't think will go back again....

Customer service, the girl who checked me in was so rude and was giving attitude not impressed for a hotel like Hilton not nice at all When I was reserving the room online, I looked at the pics and it said the hotel has a jacuzzi and pool but I didn't see any jacuzzi there

Cleanness of the room, being close to down town and restaurants walking distance

Love the gas lamp in San Diego.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

My room was located on the side of the hotel where the train tracks were. It was so loud in my room it was hard to sleep at night. Even with ear plugs.

The hotel location.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Great location...fair housekeeping.
    • King Room with View

Cleanliness of rooms was fair. Prior guest's drinking glass was still left at the door upon our arrival. Previous guest's hair accessories were prominently in the middle of the room's floor. TV stand very dirty. No on-site after hours facility available.

Close to restaurants.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Simple quality.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Excellent staff. Originally had a room on the trolley side and since I was there primarily to sleep they happily switched me. Very clean, great bed, pillows, great sleep.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Comfortable room, valet was terrible!
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

There was a disgusting stain in the tub next to the spout.(room 338) We were very disappointed in the Valet service. We waited 10 minuets for our car even though we called from our room before coming down and cheching out . I would like my $47 chareg for valet back. I was upset they offered no secure self park.

Room was comfortable The female bellman was very good. She was fast and had a great attitude. Please put her in charge of the Valet. They need her abilities and professionalism .

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Nice clean rooms & comfortable beds.

Access to the hotel entrance was not user friendly at the time we went to visit. The room would have been better with a small refrigerator.

Nice clean rooms & comfortable beds. Good location!

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Overpriced and Under staffed.
    • King Room with View

While the prices were adjusted for Comic-con, the hotel staff was not. Many times there was only 1 valet so the wait time for your car was unacceptable. They seemed completely unprepared for the number of people checking out on Sunday. They were completely unwilling to push back check out times, and where unprepared and unable to accommodate the number of people checking out and needing a luggage cart.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Perfect hotel experince within the dwntwn area!
    • King Room with View

Parking can be trying, but there are plenty of public lots around for a decent price. If you have the extra cash I would pay for the valet at the hotel.

The room was way more perfect than we expected. I loved the spa bathtub! The bed was super comfortable. The staff I had a pleasure of speaking with were amazing. I only hope to come back again. Thank you for the dream stay!

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Great time
    • King Room with View

The bathroom did not seem to be in tip top shape with cleanliness on the floor.The bathroom did not even have a working air vent.

Super nice location, great access to walking to restaurants, very comfortable bed. Quiet hotel. Very spacious room

Room was excellant

Parking

Room was excellant

Love the fact they are pet friendly they do go above and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Love the fact they are pet friendly they do go above and beyond for the comfort of tour pet.

Very clean.

A little pricey for a single night.

Very clean. Close to restaurants

Noisy AC

Noisy AC

Fitness center was clean.
    • Deluxe King Room with French Balcony

Fitness center was clean. Friendly staff.

It was nice for a one night stay.

$50.00 hotel parking rate.

Location is excellent

Location is excellent

Overall, the hotel was excellent. I loved the location and the staff were all very friendly and kind

I wish it had a Jacuzzi.

The bed was super comfortable.

Loved the location.

Loved the location. Right in the downtown area. Staff was really friendly and helpful.

Everything was walking distance.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

Everything was walking distance. Delicious food and entertainment were just around the corner.

Nice facility.

Price for parking for hotel guests.

Nice facility.

Super easy to get to Perco Park!

The pillows were not comfortable.

Super easy to get to Perco Park!!!