Reviews of Hilton San Francisco Union Square 4 stars

333 O'Farrell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#118 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

• One King Bed

There is no free internet at rooms it is only available in lobby. Car parking fee was so high comparing the other parking places nearby. You may wait for a long time for registration.

The room was clean, location was fine.

Wifi wasn't free . . . .

Great location, comfy rooms. Cityscape bar is a WOW! We were offered an upgrade to a higher floor with views, but at extra cost, so we declined. Overall, a good experience.

• One King Bed

Our room was right by house cleaning. It was very loud. We heard every conversation and loud clank possible.

We loved the location and friendliness of the staff. The room was clean and ready when we got there.

• Skyline View with Balcony - Two Double Beds

Proximity to Tenderloin District and Urban Tavern was poor. Poor service, poor menu and poor wine selection, in fact only really had the most expensive wines on the menu available

Balcony and views from the room and nice pool

• Room with Two Double Beds

We upgraded to a room with a view and the windows were totally filthy and spoilt the experience . The street noise was very very noisy from police sirens and fire engines .

Central location

• One King Bed

I didn’t like the location at all. You don’t want to walk around the hotel. Valet parking was $67 a night plus a $9 parking tax. Crazy high. Wouldn’t recommend.

• Pool View with Terrace - One King Bed

When we checked in the lady (although very friendly) tried to charge us an extra 200 dollars (apparently room rate per night accidentally changed itself on the system :-S weird) good job I'd got printed paperwork with me and was clued up with what I should have been paying with exchange rate else hotel would have easily got away with this. Never seen a check in or check out q so big - ever (took over 1hr). We upgraded the room to one with pool view and terrace (the terrace we had to share with the room next door and since they were always out we couldn't use it as only one set of table and chairs)....this was probably the hotels biggest let down - not acceptable when you've paid for a terrace. We stayed in six hotels all as part of our honeymoon and this was by far the worst in all aspects (also no personal touch of any sort of congrats as all the other hotels managed) - disappointed in this hotel really and wouldn't return.

Comfy bed, central location for travel as near the BART station.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms and bathrooms very small. Reception is always busy

Great looking foyer and relaxing area. Convenient to City Centre. Staff were keen to help with a wifi issue

• Room with Two Double Beds

No view room was assigned for the promotion price we booked from Booking.com First day no housekeeping was done Front desk team was always busy and not patient to answer our question

Super good location

• Room with Two Double Beds

We had a really nice, big flatscreen TV with all these great shows to choose from, but the only one that actually worked was college softball. Double beds is a little small, so you might want to upgrade to queen beds.

We were on the 12th floor, so our hotel room had a nice view. The bathroom was compact, but it was a smart and nice setup.

• Skyline View - One King Bed Floors 20-44

The hospitality in the western world is way below par I am an Asian in fact an Indian for the price I paid here for two rooms I could have had a much more better service experience back home in india

Location is amazing , overall experience for the price they charged me could have been much better

• Pool View with Terrace - One King Bed

The lady who assisted me when I checked in was absolutely amazing! I had just arrived after a horrible experience at a different hotel and she made the process of checking in so seamless and easy. She also offered me a complimentary upgrade as the room I had booked was unavailable.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is big and busy (hectic), reminds me of Vegas. Instead of being welcomed on check-in, the clerk tried to up sell me from my “standard” room (an offer that had already been made several times online before the trip). There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom. During my last visit to San Francisco I stayed at the Palace Hotel and felt like an honored guest from start to finish. This trip I wanted to be closer to Union Square and I mistakenly assumed Hilton would offer a similar experience. My stay at the Hilton was adequate, nothing special.

It was very clean, had a comfortable bed and is near Union Square.

• One King Bed

need better, more affordable options for breakfast. first 2 nights spec promo fair price. 3rd night price jump is what makes it harder to pay, when one is not corporate. But traveling for ones own pleasure

room was comfortable, nice size, not cramped. bed very comfy. fridge was nice being able to keep a cold beverage at hand.

• One King Bed

The way stuff treat their customers (as numbers), the organization at the check in desk (terrible even been part of Hilton Honors program) and the cleanness of the room (our sheets were itchy)

• Room with Two Double Beds

There is no continental breakfast; it's reserved for Elite and Gold card carriers, and $40/each for everyone else. Aldo, the pool and hot tub close at 9pm.

The staff was wonderful and the hotel was lovely.

• One King Bed

No customer value; aggressive upsell practice; dirty room only superficial cleaning; conditioner was used by previous guests / not replaced

The pool deck

• Room with Two Double Beds

The checkin takes such a long time. It was a two hour wait just to check in. Imagine a family with kids after a 16hr flight they reach the hotel and have to wait for two hours to check in. No not acceptable

• Room with Two Double Beds

It was such a busy 2 days at Hilton with hundreds of conference attendees. Lifts were queueing up, and a long queue to leave my luggage in storage after checking out. Way too many people roaming around the lobby.

Great room, large enough and clean. Love that The hotel has a convenient store / cafe downstairs.

• One King Bed

The check in was very bad the day we arrived we waited in a long line of about 50 people. It took 1 hour to check in and we missed a lot of the day as a result

The room was very clean and comfortable. Location is perfect and plenty of nearby parking options.

• One King Bed

that I had to pay for my emotional support animal and parking

very accommodating and friendly staff. The breakfast was amazing, had a variety of options.

• One King Bed

There was so much noise inside the building. At 2 AM, I couldn’t sleep because off a noise, and it was kind of cleaning was going on. Additionally, the noise from the outside. Since we were in the downtown, it’s coming from the street: People shouting, cars, Ambulance ...

Location only

• Deluxe One King Bed

It was just way too busy at that hotel, we waited about 30 to 45 minutes to check in, not to mention the rooms were not worth the price. The other Hilton in San Francisco was a lot nicer and less hectic

Cityscapes at the very top of the building was very nice. Nice lounge with a beautiful City View

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The beds and pillows were not comfortable. The wifi was horrible. You couldn't do any work on it since it kept dropping. The kids were upset from the bad wifi as well. The breakfast was way overpriced considering the quality of breakfast that you got. Hotel parking was twice that of the parking lot in front of the property. I was just expecting a lot more out of a Hilton property. The price was high and the quality was not there to justify the price.

The location of the hotel was very centralized.

• Deluxe One King Bed

I did not like the bed. It was too soft! 4 tiny pillows accompanied the king size bed which were also very soft. The pillows were like boudoir pillows when I was expecting king or at least a standard size pillow. Needless to say I woke up with backaches and a stiff neck every morning. Not the most pleasant way to start my day exploring San Francisco. There was also no sound proofing- you could hear every word when your neighbors chat in the corridor. Also, the bathroom tissue was awful, rough like what the worst public bathroom would give you.

Our room located in Tower 2 has modern furnishings, was spacious and has a nice vanity, great for dolling up. The toiletries provided were of good quality. The hotel location was close to shopping and restaurants which we enjoyed.

• One King Bed

The process of connecting to the internet is terrible. The room was not cleaned well. The water pressure was not good enough. Value for money, not worth it.

• Pool View with Terrace - One King Bed

A/C was just freezing, even disconnected, the room was a little cold. Besides, it is a veeeery big hotel, with several locations for the rooms. Everything is fast inside, lot of people, personnel look like robots (cold but efficient)

Location is very nice, stylish streets around the hotel, close to Union Square. We selected a room in Tower 3, with views to the swimming pool (floor 16). It was a very good choice, best way to be isolated from street noise. Very comfortable bed.

• One King Bed

Smoking area (I’m a smoker) was out in front and the homeless population are aware of that. Constant harassment while smoking, asking for change or a spare cigarette. The are also pretty aggressive.

Entrance was grand, very convenient snacks and restaurants. Concierge was friendly, and eager to help. Short walk to shopping, and short Uber trip to attractions.

• One King Bed

Customer service, the front desk people don’t treat you as customers. They believe they’re doing favors for you. Really poor customer service

Location and room

• Deluxe Two Queen Beds Mobility/Hearing Accessible Tub

Check in was ok. The booking was not found under my name upon check in, interestingly it's under my sister's name ( she has the HH). Because I didn't book directly to the Hilton, my sister's HH was not honored which we understand. After we checked in, we found that * the shampoo bottle was only 1/2 full * 1 piece of hair left on the soap dish in the shower * the shower chair squeaks when brought it down guess no one has ever used it. * 1 bed was made with a bed topper and the other bed was made with a duvet. * the brown cover on the box spring was done poorly * called twice to ask for delivering 2 duvets and sheets * waited almost 40 mins finally it was delivered. the housekeeper just threw the stack of sheets and blankets to me * blankets were worn out. My sister is the Director of housekeeping in one of the Hilton properties. She knows exactly what should be expected from a Hilton guest.

Good location near Union Square.

• One King Bed

They sell everything like the wifi, the charge station for cellphones. Etc.

Our room was big and clean with a King bed 🙌🏽 Fast check in, the hotel have a bar at the floor 41 with a great view. Restaurants, stores, pool, is too big and very closer too everything. If you come early they have free service for your luggage.

• One King Bed

Damaged furniture, very noisy rooms cause of a big gap under the door to the hallway. Toilet paper I use for sanding wood. Overpriced food.

Location and quick check-in. San Francisco is awesome . Save feeling thanks to police

• Deluxe One King Bed

Having stayed in many Hilton around the world, I am used to have different "Hilton standards", and this hotel is in the middle class, this is ok!. One thing that I felt was very disturbing was the lack of good sound proof windows. I stayed in the 8th floor and could hear everything from the street below. This makes it difficult to sleep if you are not a heavy sleeper.

Hotel is located in the city center with everything around the corner.

• One King Bed

If I had only one gripe it would be that we had to call down for towels. There was only one set of towels in the room as if it was only for one person.

All of the staff was wonderful.

• Skyline View - Two Double Beds Floors 20-44

We had two full sized beds in our room, which felt too small for two adults and two kids. Queen sized beds would have been appreciated. This hotel is huge! We got turned around getting from the parking garage to our room and back again. You feel very anonymous in this giant hotel. Also, for the cost of our room, it would have been nice if breakfast was included.

The location was convenient and fun! We asked for a room with a city view and the room we received was exceptional! We spent a lot of time just looking out the window! We really appreciated the filtered water bottle filling stations throughout the hotel. The front desk was helpful with restaurant suggestions and very friendly.

• One Queen Bed

well the first room we were in had an ant infestation. and the second room we woke up to a hammer drill doing construction at 7am while we were on vacation. when we complained I was ignored completely because it was my last day there. Terrible experience

Good location, but all hotels in the area have good location.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom door was squeaky waking me when my roommates used bathroom in the night. There were only 2 coffee's for 3 people and no tea. The room was across from the parking garage and was very bright all night. The front desk staff was grumpy and verging on rude

Bed was comfortable

• One King Bed

Hotel lobby feels like an airport terminal where all the low cost airlines have dumped their delayed passengers. No adaptors/USB sockets? In San Francisco? Poor...

View was nice

• Room with Two Double Beds

Well...the area.the location xof the property...near the tenderloin, wasnt too appealing.. But so long as you dont walk around the surrounding blocks..you're ok.

The staff were wonderful and efficient. The service was outstanding.

• Pool View with Terrace - One King Bed

It took quite a while to check in and out of the hotel. Thought reception may have been a little understaffed that time I was there.

Great facilities and location. Very central and many shops/restaurants around the hotel . The Bar upstairs was amazing!

• One Queen Bed

The guest services personnel at the door of the main lobby told me it’s cheaper to ride with the car services available at the hotel was dishonest. He advised to cancel the Lyft ride I booked saying that it is cheaper to use the car service and I did as he advised. But upon reaching the airport, the car services person insisted on a tip and ended up paying $10 more than my intended Lyft ride! That’s very dishonest of a hotel staff.

On the second night, there was a terrible smell of paint thinner coming from the air vent and I rang the front desk. The housekeeper who attended to me was extremely swift and helpful in getting me a new room after checking in on the complaint. He also kindly offered to get the bell desk to help me move the luggage to a new room though I didn’t ask. That’s some awesome service there!

• Room with Two Double Beds

Check-in staff not as helpful as they could have been. WiFi was not easy to connect to on some devices.

Good location close to Union Square and Market St. The room was adequate, but a bit on the small side for four. Modern and clean.

• Deluxe Two Queen Beds Mobility/Hearing Accessible Tub

I didn't like the long line check in, and the beds looked like full size beds instead of queen size beds I had prebooked, and no free snack area.

I liked the view of my room 15th floor

• One King Bed - One Bedroom Suite

I didn't enjoy the fact that after the second night we had upstairs neighbors, who were heavy-footed to say the least. So basically, the property has thin walls.

It was really quiet. And the front desk was extremely helpful as far as parking went.

• Deluxe One King Bed

very busy. queue to check-in. queue to check-out. very expensive for the type of room. very cramped. the hotel is next to Tenderloin - one of the most problematic areas in San Francisco.

breakfast is good and staff is very nice.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Customer service was poor, our room was on the small side and didn’t have any ventilation (no window to open, no fan in the bathroom which I believe is pretty basic). They made you pay for WiFi! It’s practically free everywhere and we spent a lot only to be asked to pay more for a basic amenity.

I liked the area.

• One King Bed

Since we were in SF for less than 24 hours, we enjoyed how easy it was to walk around the city and explore from the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. We also really enjoyed the bar on the 46th floor! It offered great views of the city and was a great spot to finish out our evening.

• Deluxe One King Bed

Hotel room was very small and the bed was not comfortable. Very overpriced!! Also can't believe that valet parking is $77... So ridiculous!!

Staff was really nice.

• Deluxe One King Bed

Too far from good places to eat when just walking, dirty sidewalks along the streets, kind of scary walk during dark, lots homeless everywhere!

Hotel itself is great!

• Room with Two Double Beds

The stuff was rude. The location is horrible, full with homeless and jankies. No free wifi. Breakfast very expensive.

Seemed clean and tidy. House keeping everyday

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

the size of the room was TINY!!!!!!!! my husband ended up sleeping on the FLOOR cause we couldnt fit comfertably!!! and payed alot of money to end up like that, it was the WORST experience of my life!!!

• One King Bed

$65.00 a night for parking. No complimentary breakfast or room service after 10pm.

Clean and good location for the event we were attending.(concert at the Warfield) Could not walk to venue (we were told it wouldn't be safe at night) but easy to Uber. Great access to shopping in the morning and felt fine walking during the day.

• One King Bed

Staff weren’t very impressive. It took ages to get checked in after a long journey while various people walked back and forth behind the front desk not acknowledging the growing queue. No offer of help with bags even though I was alone. Also for the price per night I don’t think some mineral water in the room is too much to ask.

Great central location and very clean, comfortable and stylish rooms.

• One King Bed

I made a reservation for two rooms and at my arrival they only had one. After a while I did get both rooms (thank you) Never got map of the hotel even though I requested ahead of time. I requested key rooms two times because somehow the keys they gave us stopped working.

• One King Bed Mobility/Hearing Accessible Tub

Furniture seemed old and could have been cleaner. Lines were long to check in/out, wish there was more clarity regarding the parking the hotel provides, staff at the front should inform guests of additional $50 deposit added to bill and when it may be reimbursed or why it may not be.

The view was nice, room/bathroom was spacious.

• Room with Two Double Beds

They said they were going to charge me 398 dollars and they finally charged me 530 bucks, they said free parking and it wasn’t free :( hilton 👎

• One King Bed

The bathroom was very small and sink was small too.

The room was very clean! feels very comfortable being in there. The bathroom was clean too. Our room had a good view of the pool too!

• One King Bed Mobility/Hearing Accessible Tub

Herb & Kitchen was very expensive, almost $5 for a bottle of soda?? A sandwich, small bag of chips and 20oz soda came out to $23. Developed a terrible rash from the bedding. Was obviously allergic to some type of detergent they used. I got virtually no sleep the first two nights due to the itching and rash. Complained to front desk but nothing happened, I know sheets were not changed because a spot in the top sheet was still there. The third night my sheets were changed and the rash and itchiness vanished.

Great location and all of SF is easily accessible from this hotel. Bathroom was exceptionally clean my whole stay there as well as the overall room.

• One King Bed Mobility/Hearing Accessible Tub

What I did not like were some of the taxes added on . Hidden fee’s my stay was almost 600$ for two nights which was over priced. The place inside was very busy to noise.it sounded like a stock market inside the lobby area. The rooms were very big and spacious however.

I enjoyed it being close to everything. Shopping centers and the restaurants.

• One King Bed Junior Suite

Let's start this off with, PARKING IS NOT INCLUDED WITH YOUR STAY HERE, if you want to park at the hotel for 24 hours you'll be paying 70+ bucks A DAY. However there is a parking garage across the street but you still have to pay 35 bucks a day to park a car.... This was a huge dissapointment and extremely irritating. Granted this is SF and you have to pay to park pretty much everywhere. But nevertheless. The hotel should at least advertise the fact that parking is not included... Also the check in prosses was extremely slow... I was waiting in line for a good 20 30 minutes before being checked in.. and there where only 3 people ahead of me!!!. Room had a huge flatscreen but only like 30 channels. 10 of Wich where foreign language. So yeah 20 channels. And a huge flatscreen. And hotel room had no hand soap. Just the bar soap for washing your body in the shower? Wouldn't cost that much to stick 2 of thoes in there and just change the package of one to say "hand soap"

Quiet rooms!!!! I didn't hear a peep from the rooms next door. And nothing from the street below except for the occasional honk/fire truck but nothing annoying. We where on the 11th floor in tower 3. Not sure if the story is the same for lower floors.. great shower. Beautiful room. Comfterbal bed, good room service. Nice secure safe. Don't let my long list of negitives detur you from this hotel tho. It was a bit pricey but I enjoyed my stay thuroughly.

• One King Bed

Found out you had to deposit 50 bucks not bad but when you ask over phone they say no deposit then in person they say yes very confusing. They had a small fridge but it was leaking. Costume service was okay.

I like the bed it was very big and shower was big too.

• Deluxe One King Bed

Air conditioning a little noisey.

Very comfortable bed. Stylish room Sky bar was wonderful- we experienced a great view of a wonderful sunset. Lifts were dry efficient and plenty of them

• One King Bed

Saw a cockroach on the carpet just before checkout. Information tablet was somewhat difficult to use. Bathroom design was clever but awkward. Bathroom door could block entry door. Windows were small.

Tower 3 has smaller rooms with smaller windows, but smartly designed and not outdated at all. Service was great. Text messaging and virtual concierge was nice to have. Room was clean and quiet for the most part. Could occasionally here sounds from right outside hall or adjacent bathroom. Otherwise, no noise. Room had good view, and windows could be made quite dark.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The room was not ready early, another room was and we had to pay an extra $30 a night for 3 nights. I paid a $150 deposit, which was suppose to be refunded within 24 hours and it still has not been refunded to me. The room was suppose to be upgraded with a better view, there was no view.

Comfortable beds, travel desk was very helpful.

good first I liked the room is very comfortable the bed is excellent and the view or say, I also liked the service people very friendly and the only thing that I did not like and is the first time that happens no liked the payment of the parking that were eighty dollars was ridiculous because I have stayed in other more prestigious hotels and never had charged me the parking if I'm staying at the hotel was the only thing but in the end we spent the most thanks for everything

• One King Bed

Noisy shower. The loud shower noise from next door or upstairs woke me up at 630 am. I even recorded the loudness and it went on for at least 20 minutes. Neighbors were also super loud. I was awakened at 340 am by them knocking on their doors, yelling at each other, going in and out. Ugh.

The bed and pillows were to die for.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Tried to charge us extra $50 or night on top of the booking.com rates. Safe lock in the room was not working Parking very expensive ($55 per night for self parking only!) The area around the hotel is very dodgy

• Room with Two Double Beds

Terrible tea and coffee making facitiy, with ghastly tasting long life milk. Shower curtains over bath, not acceptae in 2018 for showering, separate showers essential, pushing aside soggy curtain not!!!

Good views of city high up. Clean and tidy rooms.

• Room with Two Double Beds

What was not to like?! Friendly staff, great location and amazing facilities. All topped off with a sweet room.

Amazing time in a great location of San Francisco. The room and facilities are of a high standard.

See Above...

I was disappointed in the size of the room overall and the fact that a microwave was not available during my stay. The conceirge was also not as knowledgeable as I would have liked. Recommendations for food did not meet my expectations at all.

N/a

I appreciated a clean and comfortable room. The cleaning crew was incredible. I loved the check out of 12pm. I came here for leisure and rest, and it surpassed my needs. Thank you.

• Deluxe One King Bed

Hotel so poor. They economy on everything. Very old. Shower very bad. Room very small and I got view on the wall( without sun and light) NO Free WiFi. How can economy on this?! Location also not good. So many homeless people around. On the evening so dangerous. Personal doesn’t help well! They don’t help with luggage! The most worth hotel where I ever been. So expensive for so bad quality! Same price like in St Regis. I changed to St Regis few days later. St Regis was perfect, new and high quality.

• Skyline View with Balcony - One King Bed

BIG SHOUT OUT TO JOHNNY, GRAVEYARD SHIFT SECURITY! Got to the airport at 6am and realized I left OUR passports and my LV makeup bag (ladies understand) in a drawer! Johnny took pictures of my items per my request and took them to the hotels Lost and Found. Later that day the staff contact me to have the items shipped back to me. I had no problems!! Can we say GRATEFUL! Thank you Hilton!

• Room with Two Double Beds

Check out wasn’t until 12, before 10:30 we had 2 walk through attempts from the cleaning staff.

The concierge Nick was a total gem. He made my check-in experience so easy and he truly made a difference in my looking forward to returning. Thanks Nick!

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I had my stuff stolen by a housekeeper my money an my personal things the staff were very rude. My birthday gift were taken.wasnt worth it..

It was close to union sqare

Browse Hilton San Francisco Union Square traveller photo gallery