Reviews of Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder 4 stars

20 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506, USA

#20 of 46 hotels in Santa Fe

6.2

There was no access for a USB charging outlet.

There was no access for a USB charging outlet. Away on business and this is the one thing I needed my room to have. I was disappointed. Other than that, I slept like a baby.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

We liked the hotel.

The service was not good. We wanted to have a drink outside looking at the pool and could not get any service.

We liked the hotel. We loved all the art in the lobby. The food and service was good in the Iguana Cafe.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Being able to enjoy casino restraunt and night club and pool...

Front desk staff not very friendly

Being able to enjoy casino restraunt and night club and pool and not have to leave. Rooms were very nice and comfortable.

Comfortable surroundings
    • King Room with Balcony

Limited car parking for self park when the hotel is full. The billing system was unusual as I was being billed for separate items on my card before I had left the hotel yet was given a bill that included all items when I checked out.

Comfortable surroundings

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Beautiful area.
    • King Room with Balcony

Lack of information on amenities such as walking trail. Miss information by front desk. One room was not made up until 3:30. I booked a non-smoking room when the previous guest had obviously been smoking in the room. Could use a lounge/ bar with quiet music.

Beautiful area. Large comfortable rooms.

the restaurant on premises was fantastic!

the check in check out area is very understaffed long wait on both ends check in young lady was horrible check out person was fine, it just took a very long time to get there

the restaurant on premises was fantastic! great food excellent service.

Restful and beautiful scenery

Restaurants quite expensive

Loved the bed. The room was a good size. Very quiet. Nice having a good sized patio with a lovely view. Was very happy I could bring my toy poodle!

just ok
    • King Room with Fireplace

Wi-Fi never worked,Indoor pool not operational, room TV had problems,hotel PC not very functional..Too many problems for ,this place to be called resort..Too pricet for room Asked for upgrade to room without parking lot view.Did not get that!!Comp,lained but not resolved!!

outdoor area

AHHH-MAZZZZING
    • Junior King Suite

The room was amazing and the view from the balcony was breathtaking. I also loved the restaurants in the hotel and spent a little time in the casino.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

All and all we had a wonderful time and pleasant stay. I would return again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The indoor pool was under construction. The large breakfast buffet that was advertised wasn’t even open. It would have been nice if there would have been a disclaimer on their website where both were advertised.

The room was awesome, clean and very comfortable. The whole hotel was very clean and well maintained.

It was clean.

We chose it because it looked like rooms had balconies, from pictures and descriptions, and we wanted an indoor pool. We got a room with the smallest window I’ve ever seen in a hotel and the indoor pool was closed.

It was clean.

Room was just fine.

The deli in the casino was terrible. Long lines and very slow. This definitely needs to improve.Also all the drink machines were not operable on all 4 floors.

Room was just fine. View not so much.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

That the on site Starbucks closes so early in the afternoon...

That the on site Starbucks closes so early in the afternoon and that both hot tubs were not working at the time we were there. Everything else was great!

definitely not worth what I paid.

There was a spider in my shower. The chair in my room was badly worn and torn. The safe in my room did not work called security to open it and they could not get it open. So I could not lock up my valuables. The restrooms in the indoor pool area were filthy floors where wet and poorly maintained.

Outdoor pool is nice.

The cleanliness and atmosphere is awesome
    • King Room with Balcony

The staff is not very helpful when asking to book online they should just feel your reservation when you’re upfront at the desk. And honor the price of the online booking offers you.

The cleanliness and atmosphere is awesome

Even though my four sisters and I booked a I bedroom 2 bath...
    • One-Bedroom Queen Suite with Terrace

Even though my four sisters and I booked a I bedroom 2 bath suite 6 months ago, we were sent to a smaller room. When we called front desk. We were told that the room we booked didn't exist in that hotel. ????? After being lied to and told to go to a different hotel, we were informed by a manager that our room was given to someone else who needed to extend their stay. We had just driven 15 hours and we did not expect our first sister trip to start this way. Especially when we had called the hotel several times in the months prior to our arrival and were assured that everything would be perfect. I don't think that this problem was handled very well. We were forced to take adjoining rooms with two separate small balconies instead of one large one where all five of us could sit comfortably. No separate living area, dining area or fireplace. We did get a less expensive rate for the rooms but it was not comfortable for us. I don't understand why the other guests were allowed to extend their stay in a room that was already reserved 6 months in advance for us. All of the other staff that we encountered during our stay were very nice and we enjoyed the atmosphere of the whole property and the food at the main restaurant was consistently great. Because of the way that we were initially treated, we would never stay here again.

The Red Sage was extremely overpriced and under seasoned.

The Red Sage was extremely overpriced and under seasoned. The risotto was very hard and the baked potato was over cooked. The only things that tasted good was the pasole and the lava cake. Would NEVER eat there again!

Proximity to Nambe

Facility condition - room chairs long overdue for replacement. Torn and very worn chair arms. Shower drains very slow. Stood in about 1 inch of water every day of stay. Needs cleaning out. Things looking a bit over worn since last stay - 3 years ago. Not as crisp in maintenance.

Proximity to Nambe

We were here last year and had a great time but this year we...

We were here last year and had a great time but this year we had problems with the rooms and the pool was freezing and had a lot chlorine in it Our last day we got our upgrade thanks to the staff but it really didn’t mater at that point cause we were leaving all three of our rooms had AC issues and refrigerator issues to Not sure we will return next year

Pretty good overall
    • King Room with Balcony

I don’t know WHAT you guys use to wash your sheets but I would strongly suggest changing it as I had the worst allergic reaction to it I’ve ever had. And I do not typically consider myself to have sensitive skin. Today, a full day after I left, I woke up with my face swollen and my lower lip 4 times the size it should be, plus hives STILL all over my body, so I’m headed off to urgent care.

I liked the shower in the room. And the pool.

I highly recommend.

I have no complaints. I had a wonderful time and excellent stay

I liked the cleanliness of the hotel room and public restrooms.. The overall staff is friendly and helpful from the beginning to end..

So very comfortable and enjoyable for my sister and I

Everything was great!

Room service and food were the best! Eric is so very polite and professional! He is a excellent staff member! Also my sister and I went to the bar on the first floor and Guy our bartender was the most personable , friendly, polite, and a overall wonderful person. Very attentive and nice to have met . Hope we see both on our next trip! Also there was a issue with water pressure but we were immediately notified about it and it was fixed rather quickly.

Casino style, modern hotel with high standards, if you want Casino experience!

I am very disappointed that booking.com didn’t tell me that all the swimming pools and hot tub areas were closed/shut down for renovation! I book with booking.com VERY regularly and on this occasion was disappointed that I was misled.

Friendly and very helpful staff.

This was a weekend getaway for us and was great and will return soon.
    • King Room with Balcony

I didn't like that you to purchase WiFi we had no internet and phone reception during our stay.

Easy access to gas station, convenient store and restaurants.

Over all we enjoyed it.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The maid needs to clean the entire shower/bath walls as there was hair stuck to the shower wall. YUCK!!!!! That is bad. Also when we were going to our room a lady maid was blaring Mexican music from the room she was cleaning. It could be heard all up and down the hallways. That's rude.

The room was nice and comfortable with a nice bathroom. The bed and pillow were great. We slept great. The desk staff were very nice. The hotel is beautiful.

I would stay again if the room was more accessible to an elevator and the view was better.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The door to the fridge was broken. The room was located so far from the elevator that we had to limit the times we left the room. I asked for a room with a view and was told by Dominic that #3176 would fit the bill. A view of the back parking lot and a teenie weenie view of the mountains was not what we had in mind. Let down for the price I paid. :(

The room was tastefully decorated and comfortable.

Everything but the food was good.

Disappointed with the buffet on Friday night. Very little fish available, trays empty and not refilled. Food not as good as previous times, we have been there:( A burger from McDonalds would have been MUCH better. Sorry but true.

The rooms and the surroundings were nice.

Clean, comfortable room.
    • King Room - Hearing Accesible

The AC/heat fan is very loud! Probably the only thing that keeps us from giving a four happy face rating!

Clean, comfortable room. Very relaxing. Nice size room.

Rude staff bring your hand sanitizer

Staff was rude. Sick staff wiping their nose on their hands. Who knows what was on the floor in the room. Carts were locked up by bellhop so had to carry my own stuff. Suits that worked there tried not to make eye contact so they pretend they didn’t see me struggling with my luggage

Didn’t eat at the restaurant. I ate at the cafe

Place was nice. But nothing to write home about
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The check in process at Hilton was unusual and the front desk attendant was like talking to a robot. He was not able to explain the overage of $150. But when I check out. The young lady explained it perfectly clear and the overage was dropped to the exact price that Booking.com gave me!

Red sage dining was excellent

The front desk did not offer any information about the hotel...

The front desk did not offer any information about the hotel upon check in. No hours for amenities, no map of the property, nothing but a room key. The attached casino allows smoking which is a huge turn off. Couldn't stand to be in there more than 10 minutes.

Beautiful resort and casino. We enjoyed the breakfast and look forward to returning soon.

Casino allows smoking, We are not found of that....

We checked in at 10:00 PM and checked out 26 hours later. Passing through from Phoenix to Denver. Wanted to stay longer but were on a schedule.

A positive but unexceptional experience.

The window view looked out on a roof full of HVAC equipment (yuck!). Had I known the view would have been this awful, I would have paid the extra $10 for a balcony or better view. Nonetheless, the interior of the room was lovely. I wanted to hear music (not TV) and apparently I had to pay $9.95; I hate being nickle & dimed for things like that. I wondered if I was going to be charged for the small bottles of waster, so I just drank tap water. At least the chocolate kisses at the restaurant (Red Sage) were complimentary. I lived in Santa Fe for many years….I think the advertising "Santa Fe's Playground" is both incorrect & offensive.

The room was lovely. The bed was perfect; the towels & sheets delightful to the skin. In room coffee very good. The hotel was clean inside….lots of nice touches. The restaurant (Red Sage) was delicious!

Good environment, I wish the room wasn't so dusty and stuffy
    • King Room with Balcony

We paid extra for a balcony room and we were given a room on the bottom floor, also for the price we paid for the room it was OBNOXIOUSLY DUSTY, the fridge was dirty and the dresser drawers had salt or something similar.

A great enviornprpducts

Good place, good location. Would definitely stay here again.

They allow dogs. While I like dogs, the incessant barking of the dog in the room next to ours was irritating. It was left alone a lot.

Huge hotel. The irregular design of room hallways minimized noise of people walking/talking in the hallways. Nice touch.

As stated above, I had an enjoyable stay.

The lounge chair in the room had torn upholstery.

I liked that the staff was all courteous and Knowledgeable and the service in the various areas was very good. The room was clean and comfortable. The buffet breakfast was enjoyable as was the server. All in all it was an enjoyable stay.

A great staycation!

The view from room 3216 lacked. An air conditioning unit wasn't the best view scape. But the room was nice.

The hotel and staff are amazing. The spa was great as well. Even won money in the casino, who can beat that?

This is not a Hilton!

They charge you an extra 50$ in case you order anything and then when you check out they tell you the credit will appear on your card 2-3 business days later...What a racket!

It was very relaxing.

Wish the payouts were better at the casino.

My husband and I liked everything. The friendly staff, the nice clean comfortable room. The staff at the restaurant were very friendly and the waiter kept checking on us.

It was a netrual stay.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The service of the hotel was kind of tough, not that good as Hilton is surpposed to offer. We arrived 15 minute early before 3:00 pm, had to wait beside the front desk, until we asked to check in at 3:10 pm. The facilites are poor a bit. The indoor pool is so small that more like a baby pool, the hot-tub looks like a real tub that 3 people is a big crowd.

The hotel is located 13 miles far from the downtown Santa Fe. The traffic is very good easy to access to anywhere around. The room was very clean, and the beds were comfortable as we expected. The small balcony faces the backyard, our dog was happy to run around in our sights. The food that offered was simple but good enough for the purpose of our family trip.

We will stay at Homewood suite next door. It is less and we get a free breakfast!

No free breakfast also the walk to the rooms is very long but they can't change that. We stopped to gamble but it was awful.

They tried to charge us 20.00 for 1 breakfast at signin we didn't accept. could not win anything on their machines.

I wish it could have been a little bit better for the perfect experience.
    • King Room with Balcony

There was a weird smell in the room the whole time. The coffee maker didn't work properly (and didn't have 2 regular coffee packets only 1). There was something crusty on one of the pillows.

They checked us in a little early which was great! The couple's massage was wonderful.

Outdoor fire pits

This was the third time I have stayed at the Buffalo Thunder Hotel and the last two times there has been hair on the bathroom floor from the previous guest which is really disappointing and gives me a very uncomfortable feeling about the overall cleanliness of the room

Outdoor fire pits

We drive from Colorado for a nice get away weekend. We always have a nice time relaxing.
    • Queen Room with 2 Queen Beds and Fireplace

Didn't have very many comps this time, Not sure how to earn them. My husband and I both gamble, shop, and eat, but how do you earn the most comps.

I tried the spa for the first time, it was great.

Wonderful accommodations just wish had been a little closer to downtown Santa Fe

No microwave in the room.....a little far from downtown Santa Fe

The gorgeous view of the mountains, the fireplace in the room, the terrace and the staff

Convenience - just like Vegas.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Supposedly smoke free casino room was uncomfortably hot, still smokey. Snacks were too expensive at gift shop other items were very nice picked up some nice gifts.

Convenience - just like Vegas. The buffets were good and plentiful.

Lousy.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Hearing Accesible

Booking.com prices were actually more expensive than if I booked without them. Further, Booking.com doesn't allow you to choose rooms together and thus my kids were at the other end of the property. It made for a horrible vacation so thanks for that Booking.com

The proximity to the mountains

The entire resort is absolutely gorgeous!

The entire resort is absolutely gorgeous! Art, pottery, & statues wonderfully depicting the beauty of native American influences. The pool was beautiful and hot tub enormous! Such a lovely respite in Santa Fe. The staff was attentive and friendly! The room was super clean, spacious, and comfortable! We ate at the restaurant in the casino. It was delicious and moderately priced. This place is worth every penny and then some!!

This was a friendly, clean roomy place to stay. Quiet too👍

I have no complaints. We ate dinner at Red Sage and it was so yummy. I just wish a continental breakfast could have been included. I love the shampoo, conditioner and soaps too.

it was alright
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

the hotel was very confusing. they need to hand out maps to guests. too confusing. food choices could have been more diverse and better quality

beds were fluffy.

Affordable elegance !
    • King Room with Balcony

Receptionist seemed like she was quite new and didn’t know how to answer some of my questions

The room was well appointed - bed was 5/5. In room coffee was Coffee Beam and Tea Leaf -my favorite ! Bath samples were Peter Thomas Roth - both upscale items ! Located adjacent to casino so has access to restaurants and -gaming . Far enough away so that the room was quiet

Nice, new hotel.

It is a little far away from Santa Fe. It is a typical Hotel& Casino hotel. Restaurant prices are on the high side, I guess because once you are there, your only option is to go to Santa Fe (13 miles away). Good if you go to gamble. Not a good place if your main interest is to visit Santa Fe.

Nice, new hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Hearing Accesible

We subscribe to New Mexico Magazine and saw your ad in it. The ad showed the hotel with a lake on the property, which you don't have. It was a bit misleading, but the experience there more than made up for the "missing lake!"

The room was immaculate and we particularly liked the coffee machine with WRAPPED PAPER CUPS (excellent idea!) The lobby, grounds and restaurants were beautiful. The service at the front desk and in the restaurants was terrific! We would definitely return on our next vacation and will tell all our friends and family!

EVERYTHING WAS PREFECT!!! I LOVED IT!!!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The pillows could have been a tad bit firmer. My boyfriend and I had to use several pillows just to get barely comfortable. I, myself, use quite a few pillows to sleep on at home. In the room, I had to use about 5 of them, just to get a comfortable position to fall asleep. I also did not like how no one told me that I would have to pay everything up front when I checked in, plus a deposit fee of $50 a night. There was no notice of this anywhere at the front counter. Not until I was checking out, that I found a little note on the other side of the counter, saying you must pay up front. I was told through Booking.com that I would NOT have to pay a dime UNTIL checkout. So I was not a happy camper about that. I will remember this next time I decide to stay at a Hilton Hotel.

The beds were amazing. I just wish someone would have been able to let me upgrade my room without having to pay more. I was only able to find a King size room with bacolny view with disabilities services only other than the usual Queen size 2 beds with view. I didn't want to take the King size room in case someone might need it more than me since I do not have any disabilities. Everything from the location of the hotel, down to the beautiful flooring of the lobby. Everything was amazing.

Good place to stay for a few days with some minor cleanliness problems.
    • King Room with Balcony

Cleanliness could be better found greasy slimy hair in the shower which was a bit disgusting, the vent above the toilet doesn't appear to have been ever cleaned, also pretty nasty.

Huge facility, numerous rooms with great choices of locations throughout the facility. Balcony room was very nice with views of most of the valley and mountains in the area.

Overall the stay was very pleasant.

Asked for room with disability and the room was extremely far from the elevators and other commodities Also the jacuzzi water level was extremely low and it took two days to finally address.

It was ok, no worth the money

Fridge wasn't working , hair dryer didn't work.. staff was suposed to take one, they never showed up. TV didn't work, had to call about that as well😩

I could have stayed on Homestead Suites which was on located on the same property

The pool was ice cold and I couldn't even put my children in it and that was the whole reason why we went because the pictures on the website the pool looked awesome.

The architecture

We will be back!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The outdoor pool and hot tub were much colder than they should ever be. Inside was good. If I book four ppl in a room, it should have towels for that many ppl, without me having to ask for more...twice. Food is overpriced

Clean, friendly and accommodating staff, beautiful grounds, comfortable beds.

Beautiful property.
    • King Room with Balcony

Beautiful property. Most of the staff was friendly. Our room was over 700 steps from the only elevator. And as that might not be far for young people older adults could find it difficult. Also there are no chairs or benches in the super long hall to rest. Both of us are over 60 and still work. But to go on vacation and having to walk half a mile one way to get to your room with no chairs or benches is kinda inconsiderate of hotel guests. Also no where is it posted that valet parking is an additional 15.00 per day. It would have been nice to know ahead of time.

The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The casino was filthy, you stuck to the floors, the wait staff in the restaurants/bars were very slow or non existent. The hotel had booked an outside event the weekend we were there. We were not told at all. There were 6,000 people at this event. As paying customers we couldn't use any of the pools, all the tables and chairs were gone. You couldn't walk through the hotel. We had 3 bouncy houses outside our room so we couldn't even sit in our room because of the noise. It would have been nice to know ahead of time we could have planned a day trip somewhere.

The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean.

The resort and ambiance were beautiful.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Hearing Accesible

The check in line was very long and the check in person was just chit chatting about personal matters instead of speeding up the process so others could get checked in. The room was a very long way from the elevator and seemed even longer carrying a bunch of suitcases and bags.

The resort and ambiance were beautiful. Beds were very comfortable. Food and service was great at the café.

The hotel accommodations were great but eating options for...
    • Queen Room with 2 Queen Beds and Fireplace

Smoking smell in room

The hotel accommodations were great but eating options for lunch and dinner were too limited. Another cafe or restaurant would be nice. Also we had a non smoking room but it still reeked from past smokers Would also appreciate self laundry availability in the hotel

Room values was good.

Poor housekeeping in the room -- no towels; no shower curtain. At dinner rack of lamb was over cooked and would have taken an additional 20 minutes for a new dinner. The main floor and casino reek from smoke.

The room size was comfortable

Lovely but stressful due to water problem.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Our room was a long way down the hall. We were told that the water would be cut off from 8 am to 12 pm, by the cities order. I asked if we would we be compensated and they said that they would check in Albebequere with their hotel. We did not want to travel back because we were going to Santa Fe the next day. We spent over $200 and we should have been automatically a token of breakfast, etc. After we rushed to leave early because the water was turning off, then it was still on at 9. This was a rushed stay.

When approaching the hotel, it was grand. The room was roomy and comfortable, The bathroom was a nice size.

No wifi - no cell service - no water!!! No compensation - no bueno

No Cell Reception. Sporadic & inconsistent wifi - off more than on. Pool pics from online were obviously taken at a special angle to make it look nicer & bigger. Had to change hotels in the middle of our trip because they told 1/2 of our group they would be turning off the water from 8am to 12pm. No toilets, restaurants, showers, teeth brushing on the morning we were to check out. No compensation, no help finding a new hotel, took 1/2 a day out of our weekend to pick up, move, & wait for rooms to be ready. Had to cancel spa appointments since we had to fix our lodging situation.

The staff was nice, but not helpful.

High cost for no class
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The facility wasn't what I expected compared to prize. Toilet was so low. The walking distance to roomcasino not what advertised. The signage to get here not very good. Some waitress had an attitude. Never had to pay for flour tortillas $1.50. On waffle it was topped with one strawberry the was thinly sliced escalator should have had sign out of order my 85 year old mom had hard time climbing the escalator.

The bread basket pillows. The fajitas were the best I ever tasted

Great resort, too far from Santa Fe!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Location, location location. Too far from Santa Fe! Impacted our stay negatively. We were there for sightseeing, not recreation. The two less expensive restaurants had terrible food! The wait staff were wonderful!

Magnificentl lobby. Room and bath were to a very standard. Concierge Glenn was terrific and helpful!

quite comfortable overall
    • King Room with Balcony

Unable to use Hilton Honors program due to booking thru a third party. I would think the amount we paid for the room should have allowed us to use honors card.

Jonathan and Jessica st the front desk were very nice and...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Well, it took them over 12 hours to pick up the floors room service food and that was only becaise I had to call the front desk! Literally we left that morning at 9:45 and when we got back food still all on the floor at 9 pm. Even a used wine glass on the table by the elevator for that long. We stayed on the spa side and the 4th floor smells like cat urine all down the hall from the elevator.

Jonathan and Jessica st the front desk were very nice and friendly. The spa was great! The staff member Lisa was very friendly and gave a great mud foot massage. My daughter really enjoyed her 1st spa visit!

Pleasant buy not without problems.

Chocolate shop pricey, tasted old Iguana cafe understaffed and noisy. Bottom of our door lock broken, repored and not fixed 2108

Decor interesting. Breakfast buffet, good service and foodm

Breakfast was the same every day, scrambled eggs and...

Breakfast was the same every day, scrambled eggs and potatoes, and that was it. They did not refill the tea options.. Dogs barking in hallway at 6:45 am.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE! YOU WILL GET SHOT BY LOCALS.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Reserved and paid for suite, got a two bed room, no coffee in room, but the worse was the punks dropping off employee shouting vulgar remarks, than threatened to shoot my son and I on a Father's Day trip. I will recommend this place to no body. And NEVER return.

Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder / Hilton A+ Stay!!!
    • King Room with Balcony

Shower head was cool, but not able to adjust to squeeze out a bit more water pressure.

Staff was awesome, food was awesome, very impressive gift shop. Rooms clean and comfortable. Would stay there again!!!

Beautiful hotel, pet friendly, gorgeous views, the rooms...

Beautiful hotel, pet friendly, gorgeous views, the rooms were Aztec themed and very comfortable, I felt like I was in a luxury hotel not a discount hotel, excellent staff and the room service was DELICIOUS

Browse Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder traveller photo gallery