Reviews of The DeSoto 4 stars

15 East Liberty Street, Savannah, GA 31401, USA

#63 of 135 hotels in Savannah

• Double Room Skyline

It was a nice little hotel in an awesome location, the hotel it self is really cute and well kept except for the elevators. The staff was overall friendly and nice, we had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant and had a bit of a hard time figuring out where to sit or how everything was set up since there was no one at the front of the restaurant. The rooms are quite small, at least for the price you pay the rooms are not what you pay for. I’ve paid less for rooms in Vegas and they are way bigger and the beds are super small, my reservation was for queen beds and we got full size beds. It was very uncomfortable for my husband and I and my two kids but we made it work. The pool is very small but nice and really clean; overall it was a nice little stay.

• Double Room Skyline

Facilities not very clean. Staff on the day of our arrival (Sunday) was not extremely cordial or helpful, but better the next day. The pool advertised in the picture is actually not a pool, but more of a spa size water basin, which was disappointing. Room was very small, with extremely low ceilings in the bathroom. Overall not an excellent experience.

• Double Room Poolside

The cleaning staff did not provided the right amount of linen for the 4 of us. Even after we told them they still only supplied linen for 2 people instead of 4.

Beautiful hotel. The best location as well we walked everywhere and Sucsnnag is a beautiful city.

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

For the price of the rooms there was no refrigerator, and paid extra for a balcony room, but there was no patio furniture.

The hotel is in a great location, it’s very beautiful inside and the staff was great.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Bed needed a second choice of a thinner, cooler comforter. Uncomfortable thick pillows. No exhaust in bathroom.

Great lobby and atmosphere. Attractive room. Like the bar and outside area.

• Double Room Skyline

Booking shows where's it's a double room miss leading me thinking it's two rooms but instead it's just two beds in one room which I couldn't get my money back

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

The hotel was actually much bigger than I expected so there were a lot of people around. This resulted in slightly longer wait times at the front desk, not a huge deal though. Also the coffee at the lobby cafe was burnt and undrinkable both days we tried it!

The hotel is updated and in a great location. Walk to everything in downtown Savannah! It was too cold for the rooftop pool, but it looked amazing. I loved having a balcony on our room, we had an awesome stay.

• Double Room Skyline

Poor water pressure, the air conditioning was sporadic. We came for a bachelorette party and were disappointed that the poolside bar was only open for one day. I feel like they were understaffed- although the staff was always super nice and pleasant to work with. Some of my companions had issues with housekeeping not cleaning their room or bringing in freah towels and things like toilet paper. The elevators were an isssue too with one set being out of service the whole stay-

Very thin walls, avoid rooms with connecting room doors, we had to listen to a lady speaking loudly to his partner until very late in the night..

Central location, close to SCAD reception area..

• Standard King Accessible

I could hear conversations through the walls in the room next to me. My room did not receive any housekeeping services after the first night. Not even clean towels.

The hotel has undergone a massive update since the last time I stayed. The location is outstanding.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The room was not clean on check-in nor after housekeeping came in the next day (not downright dirty, but enough that it bothered me, floors clearly not mopped in a little while). The pool is much smaller than advertised and pool area was lacking towels and services. No furniture on room balcony to enjoy it.

Excellent location, hotel seems to be riding on that a little. One of the restaurants has excellent food and service. Nice covered patio for rainy days, had good live music when I stayed.

• Standard Double Room - Accessible

There is no airport shuttle, and the Tiki Bar at the pool was not open.

The roof top pool was spectacular! Would stay here again just for that. The rooms were comfy, and the location was excellent for walking around the historic district. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The rooms weren't the cleanest (our friends' room wasn't very clean) and our room had the water in the sink spurting out and the water in the shower kept turning off completely, leaving me standing covered in soap with conditioner in my hair that I couldn't wash off. There were floor dryers on multiple floors as if they'd had leaks.

The bed was comfy, everything we could want to do was in walking distance and the view from our room was nice.

• Double Room Skyline with Balcony

We were next to a room that had water damage and had go listen to dehumidifier noises and encountered damp misty smell each time we emerged from our room.

The location and the staff were perfect. It's a charming hotel with lovely views of the city from the upper rooms, and the Historic district from the lower ones. It's in the center of everything great!.

• King Room Skyline with Balcony

Vallet being an extra charge so parking is limited if you choose not too but not a big issue we enjoyed being pampered this week!

Alot of awesome features!!...rooms are great with beautiful views and location is very convenient

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

Wish we would have been told ahead of time that valet use cost $30- because we only ended up using it for a bit and we spent so little time at the hotel we wouldn’t have used it.

The comfy beds, nice balcony view, and great service.

It is a lovely hotel but was more than disappointed with the sound from rooms on both sides ..sounded as if they were in the room with us .. Mom . Kids .. now know all of the kids names and that one is “an ungrateful brat “ kids on BOTH sides at 7:30 am was not fun .. Don’t get me wrong .. love kids .. yjust did not expect to be awake so early .. maybe you need to sound proof your rooms

• King Room Skyline

The bathroom was so small and the food wasn’t good at all for the price we paid. Way overpriced for the portion and nothing exciting was served, room service.

The staff

• Standard King Accessible

The walls are very thin. The shower could use a good scrubbing. You can hear everything around you. We went to the restauarant, service was under par. We chose to go out elsewhere during our stay.

The area where the hotel is a great location. The Valet and Front Desk staff were very nice.The room was very nice, very comfortable bed.The hotel is beautiful.

• King Room Skyline with Balcony

The hotel parking attendant directed us to a parking garage down the street so my friend and I parked there and paid $25 each for a day and a half of parking. The hotel clerk didn't know what validating park meant. I think he was confused because we later saw that there is a parking garage under the hotel.

Location was excellent. Hotel was clean and comfortable. The pool looked great but it was a little too cold outside for swimming.

Bed was very comfortable, staff was extremely professional, location was great, cheaper than other equivalent hotels in the area. Breakfast was absolutely delicious.

See above

Hotel attractively renovated. Staff generally nice. Dinner at hotel restaurant was really awful. “Fisherman’s Stew” = 7 tiny muscles, 3 amazingly tiny clams, piece of dry fish none, bed of pasta = apx 10 tiny rings of pasta , served w some dry tasteless toast - none of which could be tasted at all because of the over-seasoned sauce. For $30?! We envied the young fellow in the elevator who brought in a boxed pizza. We get that you aspire to emulate Tuscan Provisional or whatever but the object in the end is to please the customer. It was Saturday evening on Easter weekend and the restaurant was half empty. Time to rethink the business model perhaps? ps Our displeasure was not the waitress’ fault, she was quite nice.

The gentleman at the front desk was not at all friendly nor welcoming to your hotel. The walls in the rooms are very thin. We could here the people talking next door.

The rooms was comfortable and the hotel was attractive.

I expected more for the price of the room. I could have stayed at the Best western and had a bigger room and free parking ($30 at The DeSoto) and paid 30% less. I had to change my reservation from a Thursday to Friday due to unforeseen circumstances, and my rate through booking. com was not honored for the change. I paid $80 more for the smallest room I had on a weeks vacation. I cannot express how disappointed I was in that stay. The concierge came in late Saturday so we missed out on discounted tickets for tours we took that day.

All the food in all the restaurants was excellent. The servers were great and their recommendations were very good. They were able to explain what was on the menu and what the ingredients were. The dining facilities were very clean and neatly arranged. The concierge decided to come in late on Saturday morning, so we missed out on discount tickets for some of the tours we took that day.

• King Room Skyline with Balcony

No refrigerator in room .No daily stuffing of tea &cofee material .No complimentory drinking water

Location is good .staff at reception is polite & friendly

• Standard King Room

Thought we had booked balcony rooms. The staff informed me that booking.com did not give me those rooms. They were willing to change when we got there but at that point we just decided to stay where we were.

The location was perfect for Saint Patrick’s day parade.we were able to use restroom in hotel while watching a few steps away. The staff was helpful in all our activity planning. Beautiful hotel near all!

One of our 2 rooms was not available until after 5:30 p.m. and were not on the same floor as I had requested in the initial booking. No breakfast available.

. Loved the location and this was my 4th trip.

• King Room Skyline

I did not like that I could not get through to someone to order room service! The phone in our room worked horribly.

I loved the cleanliness of the room and the comfort of the bed. We also had a great view!

• Standard King Room with Balcony

On the 4th floor, the lights in the hallway were pretty dim. The safe in the room was almost on the floor and was very difficult to access. The breakfast wasn't included and was very pricey as well.

It was amazing! Loved the room, the beds, the balcony. The staff was very friendly.

The DeSoto is located in the heart of the historic district, in a city that is beautifully designed for walking tours. Close to the "Dot" for free transpiration if you wanted to go farther than a few blocks, it was a perfect location with fabulous staff and an impeccably clean environment. It has its own terrific restaurants, but is also within a 3 minute walk to several other wonderful places to eat (JChrisophers, The Public, the Tea Room, Clarys) You can't go wrong by staying here.

The two white guys at the front desk were alil racist and my biggest disappointment was the size of the rooms and bathrooms. very small for the price. All the money was clearly spent on the lobby. sad

the restaurants in the lobby where awesome and my view was nice as well

• King Room Skyline with Balcony

The gentleman at the front desk who checked me in did not make me feel welcome ,did not have a bubbly, friendly personality that I was expecting. Apoun my checking out, a young lady at the Parking Valet Office was VERY unfriendly! The Valet personnel out front of the hotel are great Ambassadors for hotel... received a warm greeting every time! Standard rooms are on the smallish side but ,Ohhhhh, what a wonderful view of the harbor and bridge!

The location and view was great.

The cleaning service changed the sheets amd emptied the trash but made bed poorly, left the dirty glasses in the bathroom and did not replace glasses from night before with clean ones. Never replaced the old ice bucket that still had water in it from night before. The hotel information book in the room was not updated and many sections were blank..(weird)

The Hotel was very lovely esthetically.. Fabulous location as we walked to everything. the rooms were spacious and nicely appointed. Great conceirge, very friendly and helpful. I received text messages from Jerry asking me how things were and if he could be of assistance - when we couldnt get the cable to work someone shoukd up right a way to solve the problem with a smile!

we stayed on the 6th floor and you could hear a ton of street traffic noise traffic noise. I would suggest losing the tilt open widows and opt for more sound proof type glass

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Way over priced, stayed at a comfort inn the night before, Cleaner,one third the price and no hidden fees!! Pillow cases had stains on them, no way they had been changed makes me wonder if the bed had been changed!!

No private parking. Valet parking was overpriced.

The beds were really comfy. Hotel was beautiful and valet service was very helpful with unloading. Really enjoyed the front patio.

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

The rooms at the front of the hotel were VERY noisy from the road traffic. Please double glaze these windows. Luckily we were moved to a much quieter room at the back of the hotel. Our room had a lovely balcony but no balcony furniture. The balconies were more than big enough to have 2 chairs and a table, we had to take the furniture from inside the room to enjoy the balcony. The valet parking was VERY expensive.

A nice hotel , with friendly and helpful staff. Rooms overlooking the pool area were much quieter than the front with a lovely balcony but the Church bells near by still woke you up at 7am.

• King Room Skyline with Balcony

Shower pressure is a little low and I wished there was a makeup mirror and a fan in the bathroom, but those are very minor things!

Location is excellent! The hotel is beautiful. We had a balcony room facing the river, which I highly recommend. Bed is super comfortable.

• Standard King Room

A recommendation, watermelon should only be served when it is sweet and in season.......

My room with the river view was perfect! I loved that I could open my sliding door and experience the cool breeze and enjoy the view of the river, sunrise! I had peaceful sleep and I got to relax! This is my new home for business stay in Savannah!

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

Rooms were a bit run down once you get past the impressive lobby and downstairs. Very expensive for what you get. Would not stay again.

Great location, very comfy bed and nice and quiet.

We were in a room with two beds and they were very small - definitely not queens, There were four of us, so we felt cramped.

Beautiful hotel found right in the heart of Savannah. Loved the staff and the surroundings.

• Standard King Accessible

Perfect location for historic sightseeing! Trolley stop steps away. Comfy bed, and our corner room had breath taking views of St. John’s Cathedral. The staff was extra friendly and helpful. We enjoyed down time in the Lion’s Den Lounge. Will stay here every time we visit Savannah.

• Standard King Room

I didn't like that I had to leave so soon

From the valet to the check out, this hotel was first class all the way Jessica was amazing and followed up twice with texts asking how things were. A must if going to Savannah

• Standard King Room

I booked a king room and they didn’t have one available when we arrived. Television picture was fuzzy...big college football weekend.

Very clean and close walking distance to everything we did

• Standard King Room

Valet parking was $25 per night with no other option, but street parking. If street parking you had to be sure it wasn't in a street sweeping section and you had to be feeding the meter by 8 AM, $1 per hour with 1hr max.

Great rate and location.

The TV in the room only had a few channels that worked and they were very fuzzy. The food we ordered to our room was good but a little overpriced for the portion size.

The room was great and the view was amazing.

• Double Room Poolside

The room was not worth the price. The wedding we came for was in the hotel, so being there was a good choice. However, the price for two nights with parking was 760.34. That was really overpriced.

The staff was fantastic. Warm, friendly and caring.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The front desk staff seemed poorly trained. They were not very welcoming. They could not find my reservation and made me feel as if I had not made one. I'm sure that if I had not produced a copy of the Booking.com reservation, I would not have gotten a room. They we so nonchalant and non-apologetic. Lastly, I paid for a room with a balcony but did not get one. However, after the initial mixup, I just kept it and said nothing. Given how kind and pleasant folks are in Savannah, I was so disappointed.

The room was nicely designed and very clean.

• Double Room with City View

I booked a Hilton property, upon arrival it was a different name. The staff was preoccupied with the big group at the hotel for an event. No information about the property was given when asked at check in, the person behind the counter said very little. Most of the staff never greeted us as we passed each other on the property.

Cleanliness of the hotel.

• Standard Double Room with Balcony

Wish the breakfast buffet was still available. Breakfast takes way too long now with average time greater than 1 1/2 hour.

Still the famous Desoto but the facelift and upgrade fantastic. Incredible location and views. Love the rooftop pool and workout center.

• Double Room with City View

Booking.com did not do a good job communicating that there was no free breakfast and that there was valet parking. It appeared to say free breakfast on the initial site to choose a hotel and mentioned nothing about valet parking. When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that there was no free breakfast and there was valet parking. The booking.com website also said you would not billed until you were ready to check out. The put everything on my card when I arrived. The hotel did give us a couple of breakfast coupons worth $10. There seems to be little or communication between booking.com and the hotel. I was extremely disappointed and went way over my budget due to the valet parking and having to pay for breakfast.

I enjoyed the flavor of the breakfast, eggs, grits, and bacon. My wife thought the sausage was not fresh.

• Double Room with City View

How we were told to get out of pool. Did not like having view of the poolside. TV too small and wasn't working properly.

Bed was very comfortable. Housekeeper did good job.Lobby was beautiful.

• King Room with City View

No place to put shampoo or bath gels or to hang a wash cloth in the shower. Bathroom is extremely small. Our room was very dusty. We could write in the dust on the bedside tables. When I picked up the "do not disturb" hanger it left an outline from where it had been. We saw either fingernails or toe nail clippings in the floor of our room and trash was visible under the chest of drawers. Looked like the room had not been vacuumed after the last occupancy. The door to the balcony would not open. Traffic noise was somewhat excessive considering it woke-up a person who is hearing impaired! Breakfast on the balcony meant eating in heat, with occasional flies trying to share our breakfast, and the noise and fumes of traffic. Not what we had hoped for when we booked the stay.

I like the shower concept rather than a tub. Friendly staff.

• Double Room with City View

Young woman at the desk couldn't find my reservation, it took almost 45 minutes. When we arrived in our room she had upgraded us to a suite, we had no idea, very kind of her !

• Double Room with City View

Breakfast Buffet serving utensils were very sticky and dirty so your hands got dirty serving yourself food. It wasn't a cheap buffet and felt that it could have been kept cleaner. The food however was very good.

Liked the location the most.

• Double Room with City View

No on-site hot tub or pool to sit by and sun. No courtesy coffee available in the room or lobby. Limited food available at kiosk. Did not have what they said was offered. Were told there was not a restaurant service at hotel, but there was sit down service on the patio.

• Double Room with City View

Pool out of service: traveling with child and that was one of our reasons for booking Hilton, ordered coffee, pot had no lid just siran wrap which caused coffee to not stay warm and no microwave in room to warm it up. We waisted our money for a full pot of coffee. Shower was extremely loud and shook. When turning it on, the sound could be heard down hall. I think it was the water heater. Room 615 needs to be checked out. Condensation continuously dripping between the end of bed and the corridor to bathroom. Elevators were very slow. On the way to check out from 6 th floor, we waited 15 min. For an elevator since only 2 of the three were moving. We had lots of luggage so taking the stairs this last time was not an option.

• Double Room with City View

The pool was under construction when we were there; but I'm sure it will be great for future travelers :)

Beautiful hotel, comfortable room, cute balcony, perfect location

• Double Room with City View

The hot water kept turning off mid shower. Thermostat could not me changed. The pool was the reason we chose this hotel,only to arrive and learn that it was closed. Was charged for an extra day of valet parking that we did not use.

The valet staff were awesome.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• King Room with City View

It was our anniversary, the room we book was suppose to over see the pool and the pool was under construction. The room had an extension cord to plug in any electronics.

The staff was awesome and helpful. Our overall stay was enjoyable.

• Double Room with Roll In Shower - City View/Disability Access

I chose this hotel because a pool was advertised. It was closed (in mid June In the south). Booking should advise of this or the hotel should tell guests this information ahead of time to allow them to choose another hotel. I could have stayed at less expensive hotels that did not have a pool. There was also something weird going on with the pipes. You can't even rent a refrigerator for the standard room. This makes staying with a toddler extremely difficult.

Location is fantastic. The hotel is beautiful having been recently renovated. Staff was wonderful.

Nothing. Everything was great.

This was a short honeymoon trip for us. My mom had emailed in advance to let the staff know and they graciously had champagne chilling in our room when we arrived.

• King Room with City View

I couldn't change the temperature in the room to what would be more comfortable to me. Also I would have liked a fan in my room. I prefer air movement when I sleep.

Loved the location. And the staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

I didn't like that we had to pay for parking, and the doors were very loud when being closed in rooms adjacent to ours, slamming doors for several hours in the middle of the night.

Our room was marvelous, the view the little terrace. Location was very nice and was able to do a lot of walking.

• King Room with City View

We checked into this hotel looking forward to going to the pool . We were told it was on the 2nd floor . When we got there there was no water in the pool . Very disappointed

Bathroom was renovated

• Double Room with City View

We waited a long time for our room. Finally had to change to handicapped room that was available so that we had time to dress for our rehearsal dinner for a wedding. Therefore, we were not happy with the bathroom. No vanity counter for our toiletries and the lighting was bad to apply makeup. Also, there was a water drip/leak in hall in front of bathroom door. Slipped and fell and bruised my arm! Have pics of my arm and wet floor if you need to see them. Also, no fridge in our room! Not pleased that we had to pay the same price!

The location of the hotel.

• Double Room with City View

I wish that we had known that the pool was closed for renovations. The kids were disappointed.

Convenient location, clean updated rooms and comforatable beds. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Double Room with City View

Our visit was too short!

Attentive staff from the moment we arrived. Valet service welcoming extremely helpful. Enjoyed our stay, a room with balcony and great view..Room 907.

• Double Room with City View

Noisy! could hear two children from my next room as they were inside of my room. 2. The pool is in reparation/ upgrade I did not know until I get into the hotel. 3. Very expensive considering cost/benefits the breakfast is not free and it was not a fridge in the room, pool not available

Excellent service, excellent location, room clean and bed comfortable, staff is nice and prompt to help, near st Johns church and Forsyth park, good restaurants around

• Double Room with City View

Room not available on time. Under construction. Noise, paint smell. Didn't get room I was supposed to have. Room maintenance (clogged bathroom sink) lacking.

Sausage gravy was excellent

• Double Room with Roll In Shower - City View/Disability Access

Room supposed to have refrig. Didn't. Was told one was being delivered. Wasn't. Cost of room too high Trip hazard at rotating front door. Fell!

Pleasant staff

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

More info in room about hotel restaurants and amenities

Great view of St John the Baptist Church from large corner view room. Lots of windows and light. Large balcony was a nice surprise.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• King Room with City View

Booked stay at property at a high price only to arrive and be put on 2nd floor where the construction noise from the remodeling of tiki hut and pool area was loud and annoying ... thought I should have gotten discount or offered free breakfast

Location of property

• King Room with City View

While the room was fantastic- there was no place to sit comfortably except the bed. The bed was comfortable- but only has 4 small pillows. My recommendation is to add two more plus a cozy blanket.

The location and view were awesome. The parking and bell staff were friendly and helpful- 5 star The front desk was also excellent.

• Double Room with City View

Front desk was effective but no eye contact and not personable.

Valet staff is superb. 5-8min to retrieve our car every time despite multiple events and full hotel.

Browse The DeSoto traveller photo gallery