Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Newburgh 2 stars

#5 of 6 hotels in Newburgh

6.2

5.9

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

On the first night we were there, Thursday, May 24th my daughter went down to the lobby to take a phone call and the lady at the customer service desk told her she needed to leave the property or she was going to call the police because she was arrested from their the night before for sleeping in the lobby which obviously didn’t happen since this was the day we checked in.

Hotel is a bit outdated- they still have carpet flooring and overall the property did not seem to be kept up that well and not the cleanest. Especially for that price!

bath was cracked and broken, there was no fridge in room and there ice machine wasn't working, the place need up dating

bed was good room was big enough breakfast was ok

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The room was dirty, and old. No security on the outside doors and it is in a rough part of town. Ice machine was broken, and when I went to the desk to inquire about it, I had to wake the attendant up to ask.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

There were no large towels in the room and the room was not clean,: stains on the chairs and dirt around the edges of the floor.

There was no tea available.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

It needs renovated. First impression was bad. I wanted to leave but we were stuck.

It's conveniently located. There is lots of shopping nearby. And plenty of food choices nearby.

Tub and toilet ran non stop. Lacking amenities, no refrigerator or microwave, ice machine broken. Doors into hotel did not lock. Holes in the drop ceiling in the bathroom and holes in the wall. Key didn’t work the second day.

Staff was friendly.

Bath tub was totally wrecked. It should be replaced immediately. All I could see was a history of patchwork.

It is difficult to find what I liked on this hotel. Only positive was carpet which was quite new. But all other furnitures are old and uncomfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There were rusty screws in bathtub sticking out, no water pressure, curtains handing partially off the rod, dirty floor and one set of sheets appeared to be dirty.

The staff was nice.

Lots of "foot" traffic during the night. People coming in and out. Makes you wonder what's going on.

Very budget place. For a bed and hot shower, i guess ok. Be careful of your surroundings if you go walk around. I saw some shady "dealings" in the back parking lot. No one bothered me, but I also didn't bother them.

The bathroom was run down. The handle to the shower was falling off the tub was shabby looking and the toilet kept filling every few minutes. The building in general is showing it age despite the efforts that have been made to keep it updated.

The breakfast was good, the staff was attentive and accommodating. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Poor security, seemed like anyone could walk in. Lock did not work on patio door but had a bar to put in to prevent door from opening. Still very unsafe. Toilet seat broken. Sink was clogged. Very outdated.

Good location. Good value. Nice pillows.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The rooms are somewhat dated, could be brought up-to-date. Bathroom door would get stuck close and needed to be pulled real hard to open it. The tub had a crack in it at the drain area and the drain plug was sitting on the tub shoulder.

There was just a continental breakfast, no eggs, however it was more than satisfactory. Unlike others, for a one night stay, I didn't find my stay there all that terrible, yes the place is out-dated but for the price I had no problem with that, the continental breakfast was more then satisfactory, there was several items to chose from, I've stayed at places with higher rates that had just pastry with your coffee.

My sink was stocked, black hair in towels (when I just came in and I’m a blonde). There was a balcony, but it didn’t open. Cold. The bed sheets felt like not fresh. I stayed with the same price in much much better hotel in that area. I’m disappointed

The breakfast wasn't great.. bagels were old .. coffee waffles were good .. would be nice if there was a pancake maker. Also no eggs or bacon I been to a Howard Johnson and they had it all lots of variety Mabey it's the location.

Room was clean bathroom was clean .. very cumfy beds.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

There is a space in the booking process where you can send msgs to motel with any requests. I wrote several days before check in that we would be arriving earlier than the listed check in and could we check in any earlier. I never heard back and I assumed we could come a little earlier. When we arrived close to 2:00 we were told we could NOT check in early, that the room was not cleaned and ready. This caused a lot of problems for us as to our scheduling. I was very disappointed.

Room was quiet and we could darken with the curtains. It was clean and was glad to have several trash cans.

We stayed there twice; once at the beginning of our international travel and again on the way back home. (Two different rooms.) The beds were not very comfortable and the bathrooms were old and need updating.

It was just okay.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Question if the room was properly cleaned. Found previous guest soap container under the edge of the bed.

Easy of booking, registration, friendly staff

No bar. Chose this hotel as it stated it had one. A bit dated and tired although it is clean. In the middle of nowhere really.

Clean enough but a bit dated

First room didn't have a safe that worked, and the phone didn't work. The rooms were run down and the light flickered in the bathroom. I went to the front desk and asked for a different room, he was very polite. We moved into a new room, the phone didn't work there either, the safe didn't work to put my laptop and valuables. The stopper for the sink was missing, the shower was leaking, water was spraying out sideways, rust around the stopper and the shower handles, tub was repaired by glueing a mat down on it. I went to make hot tea and there was a bag of coffee in the back with water in it, and it was moldy, microwave and fridge didn't work either. Very disappointed.

front desk staff were very helpful

The facility is a a touch dated and it is very close to the freeway/highway which can adds to noise.

Very comfortable bed and spacious room. Staff are very friendly and property is very clean.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Booked a room for five adults. Got a room for four. Had to pay additional fee for roll-away bed or sleep on the floor. Manager not very accomodating and blamed it on booking.com. If you book and pay for a room for 5 adults, 1 adult should not have to sleep on the floor!

Location was perfect. Parking was plentiful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

An older property - repainted and repaired many times. Basic lodging, no additional services. Breakfast was cold continental - not always the freshest. It is a classic "you get what you pay for".

Cheap and near what I needed to be near.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

For the area, you get what you paid for. There are certainly nicer hotels in the area, but I just needed something fairly economical for a night or two. I felt like a few minor things could be done. The staff looked like a skeleton crew - they were pleasant and friendly, but I got the sense that anything other than the bare minimum of checking me in and maid service each day would be about the extent of the service. The lights near my bed did not work and the landline phone was sketchy at best (it flashed the entire time, which was annoying at night when trying to sleep). I informed the staff of the issue...Nothing was done. I tried to use the business computer in the lobby and print off directions for home, but the printer did not work. When I informed the staff, I got the same response I did about the faulty phone and light in my room, "we will get somebody to look into it."

The hotel is pretty old, but the price is not bad based on what you get. When I arrived I found the room to be clean and in order. It did seem like the TV was missing channels and the wi-fi was simply okay.

Checking, room lacked appeal, key problem 4 times, discount for non use of security box was not given at checkout. Pool was unable to be accessed.

far from new york city at least 2 hour drive pictures dont represent the location its very rundown but clean terrible breakfast mainly desserts offered

very close to airport very close to bus station that takes you directly to new york city friendly staff takeaways can be ordered

There was no elevator so you had to Lug your bags up to the second floor by the steps. The furniture was worn the carpet was worn. My chair in my room had a hole in it it just was not well kept up

Very nice and helpful staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nothing this place is disgusting hair in the shower and the shower was leaking all night long and bed bug in the bed that you bring to home in the lugged and cloths

Nothing this place is disgusting CAREFULL WITH KIDS BED BUG AND YOUR BRING TO HOME IN YOUR LUGGES

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

manager/owner and breakfast staff rude and disrespectful. Breakfast staff does use sanitary conditions when restocking breakfast items, ie. bagels with bare hands.

front desk personnel is great

Disappointed to see that Howard Johnsons is not running it any longer. I have stayed there multiple times since 1980 when the pool was open, before the renovation. Sorry that just rooms on the back are open, not the front. The breakfast left a lot to be desired. Almost nothing.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Room had a smell in it. Thought it was mold in carpet/old cig. smoke/not sure. Ran the air while we went to dinner/opened door for about an hour and smell seemed to go away...but returned in the night Had to run air all night....which was a loud unit. Would have complained but hall had same smell

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

It was very old. The rooms had old mis matched furniture and my room had a terrible damp musty odor. Pool out of order. Not important to us, we were not on vacation, but for people who are traveling during summer vacations, this could be a problem. It also seemed like it might house indigent families.

The people were extremely courteous and accommodating.

The breakfast was very poor and there was a TV blaring in the dining room.

The bed was really comfortable and although it wasn't in a nice place it was near Newburgh Stewart airport which was what we needed.

It found the property very comfortable it was a little outdated with room style and will need updating soon.

Great location for the New York Airshow. Very comfortable rooms and great value with friendly staff. It was also a few minute walk from the bus terminal.

The older man at the counter didn't speak a single word, no greetings or anything, have to pay and check out while starring at his expressionless face was rude and awkward asf

Releasable clean, good value

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our reservation was cancelled because Booking.com used a fake cc. I had called the hotel a few hours a head of time to confirm our booking and that unfortunately due to traffic we were going to be arriving after midnight. They staff said it wasn't a problem however when arriving they said the cc used to book was declined. Booking.com site said I did not need a cc so therefore I didn't give one. Hotel said Booking.com gave a false cc to hold reservation. We almost lost our crappie room

The rooms are drab, beat up (there was a rip in the furniture, bathtub enamel was battered), and not very clean. Neither the room or the hallway smelled very good. I l dropped my glasses under the bed and found it had not been vacuumed. There was some black around the edge of the bathmat.It was depressing. I know they may not be able to afford to do a makeover, but they could cheer the place up with a little colorful decoration, and make it clean and sweet smelling. That would make a huge difference. Breakfast was adequate, coffee was not very good - bagels were old, and in a grubby container. That could also be changed. Because of all this it was NOT worth the money, the cleanliness is 30 dollar flophouse level. Don't stay here until they clean up their act.

The staff was nice and were competent. It is close to the highway and bus station.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was very dirty, the railing was loose. The door glass door from bedroom to ho outside was not secure. The breakfast was very poor. The staff was not friendly and did not care of service provided. Hotel needs to be completely re-done. My sister saw a roach I the bedroom.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Well, I have stayed at this hotel in the past about three years ago and the price since then has changed. I was not to happy about that.

From the time we got in to check in the staff was very friendly and did their best to accomadate us. Even when tere was a problem in one of our rooms the staff was very quick to work at remeeeeedien the situation.

The initial reception, a misunderstanding , however it was later resolved, but initially not very professionally.

The rooms are excellent, comfortable and very clean. The air con works great, beds are extremely comfortable with a great selection of TV channels also the WiFi works super fast. There is tea and coffee making available in the room. The Breakfast is okay, however not up to European Buffet Breakfast standards. Overall good value for money, clean & safe enviornment

The room was big and comfortable, with good sized bathroom. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room, and a free breakfast in the morning, which consisted of things like bagels, waffles, fruits and cereals. Just what we needed. It cost us roughly $20 to get to the hotel from the Newburgh airport. And then roughly $20 in the morning to get to Beacon train station, where we caught a train to New York City. This seemed like the easiest option for those trying to get to the city, however cheaper options may be available.

Outdoors. There were remains of an abandoned pool and a weed infested tennis court that looks as if it hasn't been used for 30 years.

responded to my requests

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I reserved based upon reviews & boy was I disappointed! Let me start by saying I'm not a difficult person, nor do I frequently give reviews, but I don't want another family to have the same experience. Rooms were utterly filthy. Bathroom tubs are gross. Ceiling in bathroom is basically caving in. Rugs never ever vaccummed or cleaned. Changed room a twice. Urine stain on white sheet in 1st room, with pubic hair all over the tub. 2nd room wasn't any cleaner. All afforable rooms in the area were booked, otherwise we would have left. Breakfast is a joke & hazard. Had to go to Wal-Mart down the street to purchase clean towels and bedding, not to mention slippers to shower with since I wasn't touching that tub with my bare feet.

Absolutely nothing. It should be condemned.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was horrible and nothing was there that my kids eat. Bathroom tub was dirty and I had to clean it myself but it was rusty

Close to where I was going

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Did not like the debited my account when we told them we were paying with different card. The withdrew all my funds putting me overdrawn at the bank. They charged my husband credit card also. We had no $$$ to use on vacation. Had to borrow from family to eat and put gas gas in my car. They did credit me my overdraft fees but not until the night before we left to travel back home Also curtains in room had mold on them. Very unhealthy

The place needs a major renovation. Looks like it was built in the 50's and never updated. Carpets are filthy throughout. The place also smells moldy.

This place is a dump. Won't be going back.

Sour milk at breakfast and not much selection. There was no housekeeping done in our room the first night. Hotel is very old and needs renovation & yardwork.

A decent basic place to stay that was close to our destination. Clean with comfortable bed & good shower.

Staff was rude when we checked in, said toilet at lobby was not working and to wait until we checked in and use toilet in the room. Gave us a key card which was not working, walked back and forth 3 times and then they finally gave us a different room. Whole hotel and rooms had a weird/old smell, place was old and not maintained. Toilet in rooms were also not cleaned properly, hair in bath tub and half used soap left behind. Worse of all the bed flips over on one side like a see saw, was hoping not to fall over the whole night. Close to highway and the rooms are not sound proof so you can hear cars passing by all night. Could not sleep all night and will never go back there again. For the price we paid expected something more decent.

Booked for 2 nights and canceled the second night after a bad first night experience, hotel was kind enough to give me a full refund.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Small continental breakfast coffee good, cereal choice good and choice of bagels and English muffins. I am not a big breakfast eater so it was perfect for me

Howard Johnson should be ashamed of the standard of this property, the smell, the breakfast. I googled bedbugs as soon as I saw the room to check if there had been an outbreak recently (there hadn't since 2012). My best advice is spend a few hundred $ on a cheap flight to europe or canada or central america for your vacation where you can get great value for $100 a night.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I chose the property because they said they could provide a rollaway bed but on arrival there was no rollaway bed and they said that they could not provide one. Bugs in the room. Very run down in appearance. Furniture falling apart. Coffee grounds in the complimentary coffee.

Convenient location to my event

Maid staff was poor! 1st day my we towels were removed, but not replaced. Tissue box in wall holder was empty. Garbage cans emptied on day but not the next. Removed partial complimentary shampoo bottle and replaced with body lotion, which is not a pleasant experience if you have trouble reading small print. Bed not made during stay. Maid left key card in room (Cindy) along with notes listing needs of other rooms, which may explain why our room was poorly serviced. All parking is in rear and forces use of stairs. Each door had ADA parking nearby, but no means for a disabled person to access the door. Only at grade entry was at west end an the parking wasn't even designated ADA...very inconsiderate in this enlightened age. Pool is advertised, but not open

Property was in a good location for my destinations in the area

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Stronger coffee in the morning.

My 2nd time staying there, it was close to the OCC Café and their food is good. I had a deluxe king-size room. The bed was very comfortable, also a pull out couch. A coffee maker, refrigerator which was really cold, iron & board. The room was clean and the staff was nice. My brother & friend stayed a few hrs. & they never charged extra. The continental breakfast was fine, a lot of choices. I would have liked stronger coffee. No elevator because it's only 2 stories. I would stay again.

The staff. The person at the desk was not very nice or helpful. We had ordered a room for three adults and had ordered a extra bed. That was a problem for them not to mention costing an extra $10.00 per night and it sucked! The person at the continental breakfast was rude at best not to mention pushy. There were people finishing their coffee and she told them they needed to leave she needed the table.

Phone did not work. Tv showed horribly, no HD at all. Channels did not match list and some channels on list did not exist (ESPN)

Size of bed. Appliances in room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Stay away!! Manger jay tries to charge more money when you check inn. Absolutely the most rude manger ever!! Yells and screams at customers. Hotel is dirty and run done.

Hotel tried to charge 100 dollars over booking.com rate, manager jay said it was because it was a Saturday nite. Manager yelled at us, was rude!! Didn't care about the reservation and blamed bookings.hotel was dirty and breakfast was gross, they served a few prepacked danish and brownies.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The beds were not confortable.

The employees a the reception was very pleasant and the breakfast was nice. We had fresh fruits, which is very unusual in this kind of hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

The hotel badly needs updating and everything looks old but not antique. The services were more than adequate but as a female traveling solo I was not confident in the environment, mostly due to the sliding glass door in my room that had a flimsy lock and no way to block the track. And the view from the doors was 2 rusty dumpsters.

Tanisha at the front desk was kind and professional. All of the front desk staff were very nice.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

I just got a bad room. Several of the issues arose after I was partially unpacked. The gentleman and lady mentioned above did all they could. She was upset at the condition of the room. I knew it was clean, just some logistically problems. She fixed the TV. We thought the light was just blown in the bathroom; but in reality no power in the bathroom. Discovered when trying to dry my hair in the morning. Check out staff quite different from night crew. Two made excuses at my problems- told me I could have asked to change rooms... really at midnight. Didn't know the power was gone in bathroom until my phone didn't charge. Only one of men at check out gave a small apology. Staff makes all the difference in a location

Young man who checked me in was very helpful. Had a great list of things to do in the area. FDR home and museum very close- so I altered my travel plans for the next day. Had several challenges with the room, but a nice black woman working that night came to help and resolved all the problems she could. I think the hotel is clean and safe. It is very convenient for travel and has several surprising places of interest within 12 miles. Loved the list at the front desk- will go to Howard Johnson's website to find other such lists and pick a location near when traveling.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Wifi was not amazing but worked.

Clean and big room for a very reasonable price. Had a small balcony and high ceiling in room. Comfortable bed. One of the cleanest hotels I've been in around this price range. Would definitely recommend.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

You have to walk upstairs to get from the parking lot… Unless you're handicapped with a sticker you can't park in the front. Shower fixtures were very old and I couldn't turn the water on by myself because it was dripping and they tightened it so much..however they were very accommodating to come help me turn the water on.

No restaurant

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Did let have breakfast. But the only thing I didn't like was that there was no microwave in the room I had my toddler with me I had to keep going down to the lobby to warm his milk . Other than that everything else was fine .

Did let have breakfast.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Everything was horrible!!! Bed dirty,how do have staff that doesn't clean your bed?? Just pulled the sheets to cover mess!! Mattress cover was so soiled... smelled like a sex room... people running up & down hallway after 2a.m.... save your money!!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The fact that we didn't have our own keys, it was so inconvenient to ask the front desk to let in our too. Every time. The bathrooms were a little outdated, and the tv was ancient.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

The key machine was not working so no room keys were available. We could not come and go freely. The pool was out of service. The heat didn't work properly, hence the room didn't get warm for hours. The place is dingy looking and painted in drab colors. Morning breakfast was done without thought or effort, serving limited and poor quality items. The front desk didn't give me my change upon paying as they didn't have the funds.

Not much.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

The breakfast could have had a bit more variety.

We enjoyed our few nights . Slept comfortably. It was nice and quiet so this adds to a good night's rest. Staff was very nice and friendly and welcoming.We most certainly will be back... We loved it !!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Clean ,quiet and comfortable

My wife and child and two friends had a great weekend at this hotel. At first we had doubts but when we enter the hotel our minds were changed. The staff was extremely friendly. We love it and are planning to return in July.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The rooms were dirty and poorly kept up. We looked at 4 rooms, phones didn't work, bathtubs had mold on caulking, one room smelled like an ashtray, no switch on overbed light, mattress sunk to the box spring.

The woman at the front desk was very cheerfull and helpful and tried hard to please us.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

The toilet was broken when we checked in and the desk clerk would not allow us to change rooms because we booked through a 3rd party, and maintenance was off for the weekend. My husband had to fix the toilet. Our first floor room had a sliding g glass door that could have been broken into from outside. Our room was non smoking and there were ashes on the floor in front of the sliding glass door. The furniture was sticky and everything was screwed down to the furniture.

The pillows were nice.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

One room smelled like a sewer backed up. Rooms were in serious need of an update. Some of the staff (not all) were rude. Booking.com was told there was 2 men (my employees) in each room and they booked me rooms with 1 king bed. Luckily there were doubles available. Major screw up.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Smelly when a non smoker room, lighting was dim and hard to light up, setup was tacky and bunch of broken stuff, hard to find due to small sign in a busy area

Parking lot was big.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Main floor slider door had NO locks, only the aluminum security bar. With pressure, I was able to convince desk clerk to move me to 2nd floor; that slider DID have a lock. Bathroom drain VERY slow; nearly clogged completely. No protein breakfast options (i.e., no yogurt, eggs, or meat)

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very poor housekeeping.Brown marks on sheets.Black mark on toilet bowl.Hallway smells bad.Soiled carpet in hallways. Lady at the free breakfast made a customer get up because she was just having coffee.No smiles.No interaction.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Facility is run down, room door had been kicked in, lock did not work. Old old carpeting in hallways etc. Windham should be embarrassed to claim this property place needs aa update

Browse Howard Johnson by Wyndham Newburgh traveller photo gallery