Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham San Diego Sea World 2 stars

3330 Rosecrans Street, Midway-Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92110, USA

#185 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Room needs serious updating. Bedding was tattered. Furniture was chipped and couch was stained.

Staff was friendly. Room was quiet and comfortable. Free airport shuttle.

Light breakfast available. Was walking distance to a conference we had at 4 points by Sheraton, walking distance to old town, with bus links to downtown. Easy walking distance to supermarket and loads of other shops/resturants. Very easy check-in. Uncomplicated and very comfortable.

Hair dryer didn’t work Door didn’t lock Had to change rooms Staff is garbage Staff smoking weed behind hotel Breakfast didn’t come with eggs or sausage Absolutely terrible breakfast

Room was not worth the price ..tv was bad room was not very clean ..no Jacuzzi cold pool ..i paid 200 a night ..give me a free night

Staff was amazing ...

Homeless people using the laundry room

The rooms were clean and included a mini fridge, microwave and a coffee pot. All which are needed for a family. I didn't care for the rooms bedding. It really looked worn out and dated(brown bedding with small holes). The bathroom towels were clean but were super stiff and very rough on my skin. The soaps that were provided to us were horrible. The laundry room had homeless people washing their clothes there too. I had to keep checking on my clothes to make sure that they weren't stolen and the washer ate a few of my coins(which weren't refunded to me). All staff that helped me were friendly and professional and the breakfast that is provided was sufficient.

The bathroom towels could have been better they were to hard and they wasn't all that clean had hair stuck to them and the bedding needs to be upgraded they were old covers on the beds besides that it was an ok stay and they need to get some Bacon or sausage on the breakfast menu they had no meat with breakfast

The staff was friendly and helpful it was a good location

plan on $20.00 when you call a taxi. seems like everything is at least 2 miles away.

our stay was very quiet. Perfect for a nice vacation. It was affordable and the staff were always willing to assist in transportation for the guests. Surrounded by restaurants.

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I requested a king size bed. Told them I would be arriving early and that it needed to be handicapped accessible. Well at 2:45 the rooms were still not available nor cleaned and this was after coming in three hours early for check in and told we needed to come back so I had to settle for two full size beds. Needless to say I was not happy that I could not sleep. The lady was kind of rude at the front desk, then once we checked into our room house keeping forgot stuff in the room and wanted to check it out. There were ( wrappers) under the bed. It was also hard getting in and out of the bathtub and the floor was super slick whole reason why I requested a handicapped room, but was not given one. Breakfast was nothing to write home about. It was okay. Things ran out and nothing was replenish on them and I was there for 40 min. We ended up going to Denny’s.

The property was okay. Would I stay here again NO!

Breakfast was good location was near close things to see the shuttle to sea world was very convenient and helpful good stay kid friendly place comfortable beds and everybody so friendly housekeeping was great we got what we needed very fast

TV did not work. Door lock stuck. Some light bulbs did not work. Desk was really a table and was uncomfortable. Furniture placement was awkward for working.

The room we stayed in was not worth what we paid. The breakfast was poor and Wi-Fi was slow. Room was outdated and funky. Need to do a lot of upgrading to keep charging those prices 💯

Not clean. Room had condensation dripping down from the ceiling by the bathroom. Refrigerator cabinet was rotting out and the bed was very uncomfortable.

1. “Free airport shuttle” only operates until 8pm. This information is missing to both the booking.com and the hotel websites. Thus adds $18 +tip to the price of the room, for a total of $152 2. We were given a room on 2nd floor. We asked for a ground level room because of our heavy luggage and were told the motel was full. 2. Our room reeked of recent and strong cigarette smoke. When we asked to change, we were told that noboby has smoked in that place for 10 years. However, a groundfloor room materilized.... 3. The carpeting was worn out, dirty, and sticky under the feet. 4. We had to ask several times before getting the right password for the internet

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

The hotel has a free shuttle service to the airport, but it omly operates every hour on the hour starting at 6 am and ending at 9 pm. This information was excluded from the information. The bed cover on my bed was a bit worn.

This hotel is good for a one night stay if you flying in and out of San Diego.

Parking for only one vehicle per room, but that is understandable. There is ample street parking for additional cars.

Great location. Central to many attractions and restaurants.

Asked the manager for their quitest room and he gave us a room right near the main street rather than at the rear which is quiter and the place was less than half occupied. The room was very hot and stuffy on arrival and the aircon took hours to partially cool it down and was noisy. We waited 30 min after calling for the shuttle to arrive snd they only return on the hour so we either had to get to the airport too early or pay for Uber or Lyft to get there at the time we wanted to.

Noisy location on a main road with constant traffic and flughts overhead.

Website did not specify free airport shuttle hours. Our flight arrived after 10:30 pm and no hotel shuttle was available. Needed to take a taxi to motel location. Noisy refrigerator that cycled on and off all night making sleep difficult.

Shuttle driver took us directly to the car rental terminal in the morning. Great driver, courteous and helpful. Convenient breakfast buffet.

The room was very clean and had a sofa sleeper to sit on which was great. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Parking was very good as well. This hotel is in a great location with a few restaurants, cafes and shopping across the street. Just a few minutes from a small mall and 5 to 7 minutes drive to Old Town San Diego by car. If going to see the USS Midway it is just a short 10 to 12 minute drive from the hotel depending on traffic.

We had to take a taxi (about $20) to get to the hotel because their shuttle doesn't run 24 hours a day. We arrived about 10:30 PM. We did take the shuttle to the airport. Call to find out what hours the shuttle is available if you don't travel at peak hours.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. An older hotel and the rooms were pretty small, but overall it was fine!

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

The only thing was... I was really tired from long international flight and my room was upstairs. No elevator.

Convenient location. Friendly staff. Comfortable bed.

Nothing to mention.

For overall, the staff! All were client oriented! Your service is the best. Thank you for having us felt comfortable and all the help you provided with keeping our luggage safe after the check out. Room and bed extraordinarily comfortable. Good to have a fridge, micro and coffee maker in the room. Internet tremendously fast. Breakfast well balanced and free. Good located. A 10 for all!

Dodgy area, but nothing to do about that!

Super friendly staff and ok breakfast (no hot items, but good selection). Bed was super comfy, shower had lots of hot water and room was very clean.

Found blood stains on sheet, bed bugs ,in 1st room, moved, 2nd room, had trouble with opening front door., poor AC, Woke up sore back.Disappointed in what pictures showed in ad. Not charges what I was told when booked. 😱💰💰

Very little😂

Major problem for me - When I checked out, my receipt was for $212.90. In checking my credit card today, I was charged $232.90. I called to find out why and was told that they hold $10 per night 'for incidentals' and that it would be credited back on my card in a week or so. I have never heard of that. Sounds like a scam to me - they hope you don't notice or complain and you won't get it back. Also from the quoted rate, there are extra charges (about $3 per night for "San Diego marketing." I resent being charged for "San Diego marketing" and a $1 per night facility charge. Even though it is a small amount, there is a charge for "California Tourism."

Good firm bed. Price compared to most properties in San Diego.

Breakfast was out of coffee two mornings so we had to wait for our first cup. Selection of fruit was limited to apples & oranges. I prefer bananas.

Front desk Nala was so helpful when we ask how to get around with public transportation. Bus pickup was near the hotel & the Old Town Transit Center was less than a mile away. Allow enough time if you walk because crossing the streets takes a while for a "walk" signal.

Building needs to be refurbished, my room door was very difficult to open, had to call front desk to ask for assistance. You can hear a lot of noise, like from other rooms and airplanes taking off and landing. Our air conditioner made a swilling noise when shuting off

We had a lot of cable channel options. Stay over service everyday. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Very close to sea world, took less then 10min to get there and less than 10min to get back to our room which was great after a long day.

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Because of the price I paid, I was expecting something better. At least they should have better sheets, they looked too old. That makes the room doesn't look in a good impression. The smell was weird.

The hotel was just ok.

• Deluxe Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Caterpillar inside room, old looking place, including old furniture, towels rough like sand paper, bed cover ugly and old fashioned, a/c unit airflow move window curtains way out of place, we have to lay down iron table against the courtains to keep them in place (because a/c unit does not have a deflector for air outlet), also place quite overpriced.

Place was quiet, beds confortable, pillow confortable too. Bed sheets very clean, room well serviced.

I stepped on a worm in the room. Next day there were 2 more worms. They said they came from the palm trees but we did not see any worms outside. We ask to change rooms. The maid said we should just put a towel at the bottom of the door to block them. First day no wash cloths. Second day, new room I had to ask for washcloths again. The last night I had to go to the desk to ask for toilet paper. None was put in the room. When leaving to go anyplace there was no place to turn around. There was a small bus parked in the parking are that made it difficult to back out and get turned around.

Location. Easy to get wherever we wanted to go

Towels!! So old, thin, rough, they need an upgrade. 2nd day, no washcloths, requested them then 3rd day no hand towels. No creamer for coffee 2nd and 4th day. Cold water in sink barely came out. Remote for tv didn't work. Act was loud and hard to regulate.

Bed was very comfy. Room was large. Staff was very friendly.

The actual location of facility is not the way it was advertised. The website description was more elaborate than the facility. The room was described much large than appearance. Didnt at All appreciate that the pool was located right on the street. Had I been aware of the location of this facility I was would've chose differently !!

Breakfast was very basic and very crowded. They really should have a later breakfast time than 9am because everyone came rushing in at that time. There was a line and no where to sit. The rooms were loud. You could hear car doors, hotel doors, people talking in the next room over. It was very loud. The price was outrageous for what we got.

pool was warm

Slanted parking too close to one another. Someone slipping a pizza ad through our closed door into our room. Both nights. Finding s mans rolled up dirty sock underneath the nightstand.

Close to MCRD. Many choices to eat within walking distance. Staff was very nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The only thing that might need improving is the shower head didn't give too much pressure, may need to be cleaned with CLR or something.

The bed was comfy and I liked that the air Conditioning was controlled on the wall unit. The room was clean and the bathroom was clean.

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Our air conditioner cut out in the early morning. However, when I asked Nala at the front desk, she gave us an easy fix for it. Also, the tub faucet was difficult to shut off and was still slightly leaky even with hard tightening.

The front staff (only met one, Nala) was fantastic. She had multiple things going on , but never made me feel like I was just waiting. She answered all our questions politely and thoroughly. While the whole property needs to be updated, it was very clean and parking was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

That we were on top level and to get ice had to go to another level to get ice and pictures r diceving pictures of hotel way to nice and hotel not like the pics

Like that there was breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Breakfast timings could be looked at cause if people travel for leisure and they wouldn't want to be up so early.

Located very centrally. Staff is good.

Within walking distance to multiple resturants and stores, Rooms were clean daily with fresh towels and beds made. Breakfast was good. Everyone that I encountered that worked there was always more then happy to help with any questions.

The small bathroom should at least add an open shelf off to the side to set our thing on it and it'll be out of the way The door gives you no room to move about.

Everything was just great. Wish they had scrambled eggs in the morning but still very good. Parking was only a challenge if you were the last one in, at night. Made my own parking along side the stairwell as did 2 other vehicles. But as long as I do not get in trouble, then it's fine, illnpark there again anytime:)

Everything.

For the price it was misleading, the food offered was less than standard, the staff was not very accommodating to your clients..and the flooring was terrible..the beds where uncomfortable..

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The room was dark and very dated, our socks from walking on the carpet had to be thrown in the bin. Called reception for around 4 hours on the phone as internet was not connecting and I had my 3 year old daughter in bed, they never picked up!

Good location.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

At first, I never leave any bad comments about property and service online but I was not really happy with what I paid for. I was excited to be in the hotel and take a rest because we travel 6 1/2 hrs from Vegas. Pictures shown are very appealing and cleaned but very disappointed with the actual room & service. I got 2 Queen beds deluxe room. So, we came from Las Vegas and it is our first time in San Diego. We arrived later than our check in time. The people that works there were all weird, no greetings and not even helpful about the questions they do not know what customer service all about. First thing we came in, the guy didn't even greet us, we asked for an extra bed and his terrible response is I can't help you with that, I am by myself so you will have to wait tomorrow. So we book 3 nights and everyday we keep coming back and asking for the bed and he has the same response. So we never got any bed for the days we stayed there. Also, the room was so dirty especially the floor. The bed were very dusty and half of the floor were a little bit wet & sticky. I booked the non-smoking room but the room smells like someone was living there and did not spray anything and it just stink. Breakfast? Yes, there is.. They said Good breakfast included and it's between 6-9am but guess what? We woke up so early to eat breakfast, we got there around 7:30 and there were out of coffee, you have to wait 20 mins. Bagels, muffins, sandwiches were not filled up. The waffle were out when we got there and the only thing you can eat is orange & apple and the Juice! We asked for the food and they said no more!!? That is ridiculous! Breakfast is included! it doesn't say First come first serve. I was unhappy throughout our stay and I wish I could have pay a little bit more to get another hotel but we all learn and I am not coming back anymore.

The only thing I like about this place is its very close to every tourist spot in San Diego. See it for yourself. I do not like leaving negative feedback but I have to give people heads up since San Diego is a beautiful place and most people like the hotel when it's close to everything.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

No one at the desk when I checked in, door was locked , and had to wait on a bench for 15 min for someone to show up. This was at 12 midnight. Also shuttle never ran in the evening when I needed it.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Water pressure in shower was low and the water kept leaking when you shut it off. Bed spreads are old and outdated and worn. The AC vents and filters need to be cleaned and replaced.

Liked the location of the Hotel and the room was big and had the microwave and refrigerator. House keeping staff was very nice, I left a note for extra towels and wash clothes and they left them for us. Theft was not an issue from the hotel staff, and we are very thankful for that. Front desk clerk was very pleasant and helpful

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

first room not cleaned very good,needs updating, shuttle shuts down at 9or10pm

breakfast,free shuttle, close to airport and free parking for two wks but had to stay first nite and last nite of our holiday at hotel which is fine when arriving late.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Wifi didn't work. Front desk and support couldn't help. I finally picked up a free signal from a bagel shop down the road. The room was literally 30 feet from a busy road. The airport shuttle only runs til 8 pm...not much help for my 9 pm arrival at SAN. It's a 20 minute ride to the hotel. Only there overnight, but so it was ok. Breakfast smelled good, but I didn't have time to eat. F

For the price, there was a clean room close to attractions, lots of fast food options in the area. Good pizza delivered to my room for a $2.50 delivery charge. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

I just say bed it was High for disable person,hard for go on top , but it was comfortable

We like that room iit was more space for handicap acces working well Retrigrator , TV programs and breakfast it's fresh and that Hispanic lade working in the kitchen was nice and kindness. Help every one .

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

No one at checkout had to leave keys at night desk window it was 6AM usual checkout time at most places Did not want to do this as was charged a deposit and did not get a receipt to make sure this deposit was refunded - this is not on price quoted on Booking website and not explained at check in I just noticied it by bank advice by text was over the price Never have yet got receipt or refund Had to have bathroom rewashed as there was stuff on floor when I checked in That was handled promptly but should not even have been a issue

Breakfast OK Location good for bus and stores and restuarants Staff friendly

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

A lot of homeless in the area, The blankets need replacing. Thin walls.

We were very close to all the places we wanted to see.Gaslight district, archery range, little Italy, museum, Zoo, Old Town.And Seaport village. Lots of restaurants near by.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Aircon didn't work, comforter had a cigarette burn hole.

Good location to the airport, shopping and activities. Mini fridge and Microwave. Free Shuttle to Airport

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

We were unable to get onto Wifi most of the time and very very slow the one time we were able to log on.

Clean and quiet and in just the right location for our visit to Point Lona.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Didn't seem like a safe location, there were a lot of bums walking around. Breakfast was very crowded and most of the items were out. The pillows were very lumpy

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

The pool ruined my bathing suit and the breakfast is really simple.

The location is good, near sea world, San Diego zoo and airport, many homeless people in the street near by however.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Two strands of long, black hair in tub and on clean towel so I'm assuming it belonged to staff. Carpet not vacuumed under table. Top bed cover was WORN. Towels were VERY rough.

Nice water pressure in shower. Though we did not eat breakfast, when I checked out it smelled wonderful and the room was warm and welcoming.

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

It was a bit dusty, but....it could had been worst.

I checked in almost at midnight, came for my son's graduation from USMC, I was greeted and helped immediate, customer service was splendid and very welcoming. I came in with 3 little children and was offered all rooming accommodations that would fit our needs. Very helpful indeed. They even gave me the schedule for the events at the Marines Depot, and shuttle services, which I didn't need because I rented a vehicle. They let you print out your airplane tickets, our beds were done for us daily, towels changed and linens changed as well, trash taken out, coffee machine cleaned and restocked, we had access to the laundry room, laundry supplies at the office for a small amount of money and a Walgreens right at the corner, Starbucks across from the hotel. 5 min from USMC depot, less than 10 min from airport.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I would have like some additional breakfast items, more fruit, maybe some eggs and bacon.

The room was clean and grounds were well maintained. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. I liked the location.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

way,way overpriced especially for a Howard Johnson's, older building tried to make new with a few pieces of granite in the bathroom, would NEVER go back

the Mexican restaurant

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Breakfast was not ready at 6am. They were behind because of early checkouts. Our booking said check out was 12pm and they locked us out before that time and had to go to the office to be let back in.

Was not expecting the refrigerator and microwave, so bonus. There was a lot more elbow room than expected through out the room.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Nothing to include. They made my vacation exceptional.

The location was perfect. Staff were excellent. Loved the breakfast. It included hard boiled eggs. Wi-fi worked great. Especially liked that they included directions to about 20 attractions included on sheet with hotel information. I used it every day more than once.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The location was just a few minutes away from Sea World. Beds were really good and room very clean. Has a nice fridge and microwave. Really good value for this area. Close to shopping and restaurants. I would certainly come back here

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

They couldnt find out reservation. Beds were uncomfortable. My husband woke me up at 5am to tell me he was bit by bugs. Inside door handle came off so we had to call the front desk because we couldnt get out. Not worth the will never stay there again

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

I didn't like that there is only one ice machine and the one ice machine wasn't working and it's Summer time. Also, I didn't like that there were homeless people sleeping on the dumpster just on the other side of our room and homeless had to be kicked out of the breakfast area.

We liked the pool and breakfast. The location is great! It's near everything.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

The sofa needs to be wash it dirty I had to put a blanket to sit on it. The hands area was the dirtiest.

I found my stay to be great I loved the fact that I had enough toilet paper and towels.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Business King Room with Sofa bed- Non-Smoking

Breakfast for adults was a little lacking. They were slow to refill items that were out.

The staff was very friendly and always available to help. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Located across the street from groceries, shopping, and good affordable places to eat. Breakfast was perfect for kids and you cannot beat the location. It was only 5 minutes from SeaWorld and the Beach.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I had noisy neighbors but pounding on the wall helped. My TV remote didn't work properly but that's minor.

The bed was nice. Not soft. Nice little casual breakfast. The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

Everything was great!

Front desk friendly and helpful. The room with bunk beds worked great for our two boys. We got comp. breakfast even though our reservations from booking.com didn't include it so that was a definite plus! Breakfast waffles a kid's favorite, they had oatmeal, variety of cereals, juices, cocoa, toasts, fruits, boiled eggs. Room clean, towels fluffy and clean. Room was spacious. Loved the microwave and mini fridge.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

We had to be moved twice from our rooms because AC was not working. We had to sleep in our cars and with the door wide open because of the heat and with a 9 month old baby. We had to wait for more then half a day for another room. Very poor customer service will not help. We had to always wait for breakfast because there was never enough food for all the guest. Very disappointment will never recommend this Hotel.

The Location

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Can’t say overnight stay came in late left early

Didn’t see much but wasn’t ugly

Room was very clean and location was very calm and quiet.

Blankets were worn, it would be helpful if the breakfast room was open until 10

Was conveniently located for our needs. Good coffee.

Furniture dated

Please return the deposit as promised at the time of check in

A c didn’t work

No bananas for breakfast

No scrambled eggs for breakfast

Everything was great!