Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bluffton at Hilton Head Area 3 stars

35 Bluffton Road, Bluffton, SC 29910, USA

#4 of 7 hotels in Bluffton

Breakfast didn’t start until 7

Comfortable room, quiet, workout room was nice, pool was small but good just to cool off from heat, close to Hilton Head and downtown bluffton.

Cleaning staff is not friendly at ALL

For the price, breakfast, and location this place is perfect. Cleaning staff could use more training in customer service, but rooms were so clean there was lint on the head board of the bed where it was dusted, I was panicked thinking it was a bedbug but it was just a sign of cleanliness. This will continue to be my choice of stay away from home

The room had a strange smell. It may have been some type of cleaning product but it was pretty strong. The room however was clean. I think our room may have been right next to the area that all the bedding and towels were washed so that may have been the issue.

We thought the breakfast was pretty good and it was nice that they had some warm offerings. I asked about the cost of the water in the vending machine because it was not marked on the machine and staff was nice enough to give us a complimentary water from the back. The bed was comfortable and they appeared have made a few updates to the bathroom. The room was clean and towels and bedding were nice and white.

We stayed on a very noisy night - St Patrick’s - the halls and room next door to us were out of control ... not sure I’d stay the night of a holiday again.

Breakfast options were limited pancake machine was broken, scrambled eggs were very dry, restocking of low or empty breakfast trays was very slow

Very convenient to all of the places we wanted to visit

Not really anything I didn't like other than the price.

Customer service was wonderful!! Can't find to many hotels were they are willing to help you. I asked what to do and eat and they went above and beyond to look up places for me, called them to find out dress code prices, etc.

I didn’t like my check in person because she came off as very rude initially and not friendly.

The breakfast was good and the variety changed a little bit everyday.

Ideal location and friendly staff. Nice room, only problem was noise from the water pipes woke us up one night. Stayed on the 4th floor (Top), could have been from the a/c units above but not sure. Only other negative was a smaller, dated TV (27-32"). Nice breakfast bar with great cinnamon buns and very good coffee. Eggs are scary, but this is what you get at all free breakfast bars so that was not a big deal. Plenty of other healthy options like bananas and yogurt. Would stay there again just not on the top floor.

• Standard Room

They changed the reservation for rooms. The hotel staff was incompetent. The hotel was under renovation work and was not very in order. Elevator was slow and loud. The breakfast was old and bread was hard, couldn't even cut it with a knife.

Bed sheets were scratchy feeling. Bathroom needs updating. AC heater motor loud hard to get to sleep.

Room was of adequate size with refrigerator and microwave.

• Standard Room

the bed (concave), the shower (very squeaky), the tv (didn't work in our first room), and last but not least the keurig coffee maker in the room did not work.

I liked the staff and the breakfast.

• Standard Room

some of the rooms are in the process of being upgraded, over time, and the bed in our room definitely needed replacement. The hotel volunteered a discount when we reported this. Their offer was unexpected, and very much appreciated.

modern facility, clean, good and complimentary breakfast

THE CHECK IN CLERK'S ATTITUDE THEN SHE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE WHILE SHE WAS HELPING ME CK IN AND TOLD ME TO HOLD ON, HER ATTITUDE WAS REALLY BAD THE MORING FRONT DESK WAS VERY NICE

THE COMFORT OF THE BED

floor I was on had a funny smell, maybe someone was burning incense?

very friendly staff; comfortable bed; bluffton is a great location and the hotel is located right by target and other shops all in walking distance.

We always stay here when we come to Bluffton which is often. The last time we stayed there we were on the 4th floor. The whole floor stunk like stale cigarettes and the floor was disgusting.

Breakfast, staff

Are mattress seem to have been broken on one side or collapsed

The breakfast was hot and ready, good selection, and a lot of items with good nutritional value

Poor lighting in the room. And the A/C just wouldn't cool the room to my liking.

Very nice hotel staff very friendly. Traveled to SC for my sons graduation from Parris Island. Hotel is about 25-30 minutes from the island.

• Standard Room

For those light/noise sensitive sleepers the A/C unit in our room was a tad loud. The table light by the bed (right side-when facing the bed) was faulty, it will emit sparks when inserting phone chargers 🤔 We reported it to the front desk. Hopefully it was fixed .

The complimentary breakfast was more than what I expected, buffet; Excellent Great restaurants nearby. Bluffton SC is very nice and clean.

• Standard Room

Seemed kind of dingy, the carpet was old looking but otherwise it was clean and close to where we needed to be. Also, it was kind of loud, you could hear everything through the door, especially if you were close to an elevator.

No one cleaned our room even though we were gone all day ! No new washcloths or towels we had to call and ask for some

Breakfast was good 😊 people were friendly

Things were just fine.

Would like to have a microwave in the breakfast area. Personally, I don't like my meal room temperature. Overall very nice selection for a breakfast.

• Standard Room

The hotel is older then it seems in the images and could use some updating especially the bathroom. Our room smelled of urine and the air conditioner didn't work well.

Friendly and helpful staff

Wifi didn't work, bed was uncomfortable and our room was only half cleaned every day. Sinks weren't cleaned out, the entire floor wasn't vacuumed, and the trash was only half emptied. That was my biggest complaint.

The staff was friendly, it was an ok hotel room and had good breakfast but I think it should have been cheaper priced.

The cardio machines in the fitness center weren't working; the breakfast options were nice, but certain things weren't replenished enough (I really wanted to try an omelet but there were none left both mornings); would have liked to be closer to the beach.

Comfy bed, decent room, love that there was a Keurig for coffee, close to grocery store/restaurants.

Mattresses stacked in hallways; housekeepers leaving carts in middle of hallway, forcing guests to wiggle past them; room door had dog scratch marks across its interior

Staff was courteous.

• Standard Room

I liked the location and the accommodations. Most of all I liked the fact that the cable service did not go out during the thunder storm! We will stay here again and tell our friends.

Difficult to find in shopping area, among the foliage, with multiple unmarked drives. No seafood restaurants nearby.

Comfortable enough. Carpet in second floor hallway was buckled--a tripping hazard.

None of the exercise equipment worked

We always stay here on vacation because it is accessible to lots of things we like to do. The people are friendly.

Room smells like dogs and old smoke....

The staff is kind and professional, the hotel overall is nice, however our room had a pet and smoke smell that made us feel uncomfortable.

Everything was great

It was clean , right there close to everything wasn't fair from Hilton head beach and the activities. It was very nice look forward to going back soon . I highly recommend it to anyone .

But, the others in my party had problems with reservation through booking.com. The hotel had no record even after the others provided them with the reservation numbers. Booking.com was not helpful to provided any assistance. Fortunately, other rooms were available. The room was overpriced and not a great valve.

The staff was helpful and friendly. The continental breakfast was great. But, the others in my party had problems with reservation through booking.com. The hotel had no record even after the others provided them with the reservation numbers.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

The pillows were firm and too large, and breakfast ended a little earlier than the designated 10am.

The location was very close to restaurants and stores for items we forgot to pack.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Nothing other than the breakfast shuts down to early on week days when a lot of people staying seem to be there on Vacation. Week ends are better.

This property is located near everything. Walk to Restaurants, grocery store, Wells Fargo Bank. Only 5 minute drive to Old Town Bluffton and many fine restaurants. 20 Minute to drive to Hilton Head Island.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The air conditioner did not remove the humidity from the room so everything felt damp. We were on the first floor and the outside door at the end of the hall closed very loud and people going in and out all night kept us up.

It was clean.

Room was smokey and had to get another room. Second night room was not cleaned so I had to get garbage bags from front desk. Also there was an awful urine smell in the hallway. I did report this to the staff. Staff was really nice. Overall the hotel had a very musty smell to it. My daughter stopped by to say hi and made the comment about the condition of hotel and room without saying anything to her.

Breakfast, and staff very friendly.

• King Room - Disability Access with Tub

I think that if the rooms would have spa tubs with jets will be great, die to the fact that the p.o. is outdoors and there is no jacuzzi

The size of the room was great meets all of my expectations.

Our second morning, Sunday, the coffee in the breakfast area was NOT hot. We were later going down so that may have been why.

The room was very clean when we arrived. The bed was exceptionally comfortable which is an important aspect of any room. The towels were soft and large enough to do the job. Having the option of coffee in the room was great as well as having the fridge. One evening we were too tired to go out for dinner so we brought food when we came back to the room and we just had a picnic. The fridge kept things cool until we were ready to eat.

Outdoor pool isn't heated and so it was too cold to use. Kids were sad about that.

Friendly staff, good breakfast, big rooms, cleanliness, great price.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Our bed was a little uncomfortable; the mattress had 'dips' in it where people sleep.

the room was 'roomy' so you didn't feel cramped.

Had a terrible night sleep for $164.00. Our Room 138 was next to the laundry. The entire room shook while we were sleeping and smelled like chlorine bleach...The air unit was not working either. I did voice my concern to staff and she did apologize but nothing else.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

They ripped me off and have so far refused to make it good. I called the hotel directly as Bookings said I needed to in order to pay in advance and for the three nights of my reservation. Then my plane had mechanical problems causing me to miss my connecting flight. My sister called to let them know and they, obviously ignoring the fact that the room was already paid for, charged me again for that night, (at a charge greater than the original bookings.com price). Then 'reset" the reservation for the next 2 nights. Now I have no proof that that the first night was part of my reservation and paid for, so I have no way to be reimbursed by the airline, on top of paying twice. They originally tried to blame bookings.com for the extra charge but when checking at my bank was informed it came straight from them, not bookings.

The daytime desk person I dealt with was friendly and helpful... until the problem above reared its ugly head. The hotel was nice and I would chosen it next time except for their refusal to fix the rip off I encountered .

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Standard Room

This hotel was ideally located. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was adequate. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The fact they welcome dogs seals the deal.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Standard Room

The breakfast/community room was apparently rented out for a party. There were a lot of people kinda displaced

Very pleasant staff, warm cookies in the afternoon (never got there in time, but they smelled wonderful)

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Standard Room

The breakfast staff did not seem to enjoy their work. Had to ask for certain items that were supposed to be available, shut down five minutes early and locked dispensers. Orange juice was sour/spoiled. Need to check the operation for freshness.

The desk manager, Sarah, was outstanding and very helpful. She made our stay very worthwhile.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Mattress had been urinated on and smell got worse as night progressed. By morning smell was unbearable. Could not get a refund because booking was thru bookings.com.

Large room

The room had an mildew odor to it. I had something stolen from my room when housecleaning come to make the beds. The front desk told me they hoped it showed up when I was checking out. They didnt do anything to make it right. Don't think I will be staying there again.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Standard Room

The first room 211 we originally was bad. The circulation was horrible, the moisture build up inside the room caused everything to become damp and moist, including the floor. We actually slept in the room thinking hat it was just from the humidity from outside but the next night we realized it was the room so the attendant Natalie was very proactive and moved us immediately to room 216 which was only a few doors down. My only issue was that I felt like I wasted a whole night stay My expectation was not meet due to how bland the rooms was set up. There wasn't a WOW factor that would make me want to share the facility with social media. The inside of the rooms would get a rating of a 4... I felt like I could of went to a motel and had the same set up.

The environment was great. The location was amazing. The price through booking.com was extremely better than walking into the facility. The amenities was great. The cleanness was good.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

There was a constant water drip over the door leading outside from the end of the hallway where the pet friendly rooms are located. To take the pets out, one has to dodge the dripping or get wet.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. I liked that they had a designated section of rooms on the first floor for those traveling with pets. Room was clean and well stocked. Very nice full breakfast included. Location very convenient for anything in Bluffton as well as visiting Hilton Head island and the beaches.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Did not have early check-in as asked for, wouldn't let us have a roll away bed for 10 year old grandson. We were allowed up to four people.

Good location in Bluffton

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The eggs were awful, way too overcooked. The juices were not tasty, the Apple juice was dark brown- no one even wanted to try it.

biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, selection of various meat each morning and the staff

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Different selections of breakfast food on different mornings.

The beds were very comfortable. The food was adequate, different options on different days would have been nice. I got tired of eating the same thing all week, but I would stay her again. The staff was very nice and it was close to everything and the price was good.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I was not notified that they would hold a nights rate on my card. So they held one night on my card before I arrived and once I checked in took the total of the room. No one could actually tell me what was going on. I asked for the mngr and was told he would return my call but I ended up calling him.

The bed slept greasy and the hot water stayed hit

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Standard Room

They did not have my reservation, instead of two beds I ended up with a bed and a rollout couch. Also placed next to ice bin so everytime it was used I was awaken. While in the pool almost got hit in the head by a phone that was threw from a room.

Location & breakfast.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

I didn't get the room I was told I would be getting and the shower took forever to get hot.

Great staff nice pool location was like 10-20 minutes from shopping centers but overall a good stay for a last minute trip before the kids went back to school!

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Standard Room

Close to downtown Bluffton. Staff was helpful with suggestions for dinner and directions. Rooms were clean and quiet. Breakfast servings included eggs and variety of meats.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

The bath tub and sink were clogged up. The hotel looks like it needs a make over, it is starting to look old. I also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Aberdeen, Maryland and it looked in better shape.

Location, staff, amenities, breakfast, beds and pillows were comfortable

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

The bathtub because there was small black spot in the tub that look like it would need more than cleaning to fix that issue and the carpet floors in the hallways had too many stains

I like the exceptional staff members. As well as the beds, refridgerator in room,microwave in rooms, breakfast, the laundry room, and the business office. Plus i like how easy it is to obtain a new room key if you lost or lock your first room key in your room.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

There was a great pizza restaurant, a Food Lion & Target within a very short walking distance.

Bed was uncomfortable. Was suppose to have a suite and didn't get that.

Staff was nice

the price went up every day???

Someone was smoking weed all weekend and I understand that the rooms are smoke free

The area wheee the hotel is

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

price just a little too much

the location was excellent

There was a guest there with a dog

Greater staff..Breakfast was ok

• King Room - Disability Access with Tub

Clean, comfy and good location near a commercial area.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room stinks the housekeeping didn't clean the room I had to go get my own towels and soap and the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable

Pancake machine was broken

Common areas were too cold

We got what we expected

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room was not cleaned properly and commode handle was defective

Location was good

Cleanliness

Slight smell in room ( previous people had pets) Also no bacon at breakfast.....

Your staff was nice and the room was clean

The awning on the window, the pool was outside.

The bed , breakfast, fitness center

We enjoyed our stay here .

Breakfast OK...no waffles! Pillows suck!, But then what should I expect for $120 a night??

• Standard Room

My room was not cleaned or towels replaced for my 2nd night stay.