Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn 3 stars

625 Union Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215, USA

#42 of 65 hotels in Brooklyn

• Standard Room

Everything was horrible the bathroom, hallways and elevator were very hot. No hot water on 5th level and they kept taking money out of my account daily saying it was a computer error

Nothing don't stay there they will remove money off your card without you knowing and it was never manager on duty from Thursday to Sunday

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was passable, check-in was not coordinated between housekeeping and the front desk as to rooms that were clean and available.

Location near subway

• Queen Room - Disability Access Tub

The elevator is extremely slow. They said hot water available 24hrs went on two occasions and it had none. The doors and walls are on the thin side you can hear everything from the hall way. I was disappointed for the most part.

• Standard Room

We requested the top floor, however I had to go to the second floor for ice. They need ice machines on all guest floors.

The young lady who registered us in was so lovely ( sorry I forgot her name). The hotel was extra comfortable & accessible for us.

Waiting for the elevator

Good location. It's easy to get to Manhatten via the local Subway. Nice bed Jacuzzi bath was a treat Fairly decent breakfast

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Elevator is very slow during busy times and seems to groan! Overall, breakfast had good variety, but some cheese would be a nice addition.

Bed was very comfortable. Room and bathroom were very clean.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Cons: Lobby is inconveniently small. Price is about the same as the Downtown Brooklyn Holiday Inn which is a much nicer building. Location is very industrial--not to far from the action in Brooklyn but not as close as the Downtown.

Pros: All of the staff were wonderful. They reserved a parking space as promised, and changed my room to a 2-bed when I requested it. Breakfast was pretty good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Had to replace our room key twice for not working. Housekeeping never replaced our coffee supplies or cups during our 4-night stay.

Our room was clean, linens and bed comfortable, towels fresh & soft and replaced daily. Our floor was quiet, never heard the other occupants. Free breakfast was appreciated. Many choices, fresh and kept well stocked.

• Queen Room - Disability Access Tub

I didn't like the fact that when I went to check in the young lady at the front desk was assisting another guest(a white woman) before me and she gives her details about her stay and the surrounding area with her local dining options but when it comes to me she tells me if I'm caught smoking that I would be fined $250 and I don't even smoke. I was embarrassed and very angry.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

I was under the impression I had reservation for parking and when I got there I did not , The bed was hard and uncomfortable when checking in I was told I could pay cash when checking out and then they charged my credit card without my permission .

Breakfast was good - and room was in a good location for us

• King Room – Non-Smoking

I didn't like that we wasn't able to park our car in the facility. They said they were booked. They should have more than enough parking space for all guest staying there.

• Standard Room

The carpet in room and hallways need steam cleaning or replacement. There was an old smell to the building, I assume it was carpeting.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choices

• King Room – Non-Smoking

The slow lift,walls were very thin could hear people having converstion three doors down and surrounding buildings were very run down loooking with rubbish all over the place

It was close to barclay center were we were attending.room in general was fine

• Standard Room

I don't like the way the beds are made. I'm not tall (5'5") but I could not pull the blanket up over my shoulders even with my feet fully off the end of the bed. I had to remake it. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a detail one can't help but notice.

Location was convenient to my local plans, public transportation, restaurants and grocery stores. Staff were friendly. Towels were white and fluffy. Plenty of breakfast choices.

• Standard Room

Linen not change on 2nd day had to ask for room to be cleaned & towels . Upon checking in the staff snippy due to client ahead of us. Best thing was the coffee

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Refrigerator on the floor, bathroom door blocked you using the toilet and using the shower properly. Don't know who was the architect but they need to go back to school.

The bed was comfortable

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Possibly breakfast to start at 6am instead of 6.30am as we had to leave the hotel at 6.30am to go to JFK airport and missed breakfast.

A good range of food and drink options for breakfast. Bed was very comfy and very big. Staff were friendly and helpful. Subway for train is just one street away from the hotel. A good restaurant called Dinosaur Barbeque across the street from the hotel. Tea and coffee facilities 24 hours.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Room Service was not OK, we had been left one night without room servicing Breakfast could be better if a waffle machine would be added

Location is Good next to a Metro Station, 5 min walk to reach it Room, Bed and Bathroom are nice and comfort Coffee availability 24/24 hour which is very nice Reception staff are nice and helpful Overall it was a nice stay

• King Room – Non-Smoking

I don’t like having my credit card charged in advance for things I MIGHT do. At checkout I was told the $50 advance charge may not be credited back to my card for 8-10 days. I also think $37 to park is outrageous. AND after booking I got an email offering a lower rate than what I paid by $40. They wouldn’t change my rate. Said I needed to cancel first reservation and rebook at the better rate BEFORE I checked in.

• Standard Room

The location is excellent. Tristan at the front desk was so friendly and pleasant and helpful, even when he seemed to be the only one there and things were quite busy!

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Some of the staff reception wasn't great especially as I had difficulties with paying with my credit card and had to pay in cash. Thumbs up to two of the staff members were awesome in helping resolve all my issues.

The proximity to the Subway was superb and buffet breakfast was always on point!

• King Room with Hot Tub - Non-Smoking

The spa tub was cleaned but the jets had a lot of mildew buildup. The shower wall also had a very disgusting mildew buildup which could’ve been cleaned with a chemical scrub but obviously they don’t do that. There wasn’t any tooth brushes or toothpaste already available . We had to call room service for that. The rug was outdated and no matter what we could not find a good temp setting, it would either get too hot or too cold. The veiw was horrible , we oversaw an empty dirty lot. And a bunch of residential housing unlike the picture shown on the app. The tv quality was standard and there weren’t many options

I liked the look of the room. The bed was clean and very comfy. There was enough storage and the bathroom looked updated. They had soap and shampoo. The spa bathtub was big. The breakfast was good and had a good variety of food. There was free WiFi which is always good.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

My only complaint was you ran out of food on Sunday due to a large group that stayed there . I would have thought you would have prepared for this large group and ordered more food

The pillows where very comfy

• Standard Room

Location, thought it was on a more touristic zone!

Good breakfast!!! Friendly staff! We arrived early, they gave us our room even before check-in time!

• Standard Room

I was informed there was parking on site and upon arrival was informed we could not park in the hotel parking lot. We were given a list of parking garages blocks away after explaining my husband was handicapped and has a handicapped parking decal. The room was extremely small and the wind was blowing so hard the window was whistling and rattling all night.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

No mini fridge, room was small. Only one elevator and takes too long(9th floor took 10 min for it to come). Staff wasn't that pleasant. They said it was close to Barclays center, they lied!!!. It was not walkable, at all! we had to take a cab which was an extra expense. Not clean, not helpful. Wouldn't stay here ever again. It was way over priced for what you got.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The check in process was unprofessional. I had to wait to check in and the hotel gave me a hard time. It was notes put in the system upon booking and they failed to read them. The policy was not clear as to what was needed if you was using cash versus card.

• Standard Room

For 3 days I slept with the same bed sheets, no towel in the bathroom.. every night I have to ask the front desk for towel... bathroom not clean

It's very clean

• King Room with Hot Tub - Non-Smoking

The staff was very helpful, they were also very polite. The room was comfortable for two people, and was big enough for me and my partner. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience!

• Standard Room

Bathroom/shower wasn't the best but the only major negative was the ludicrous heating system which sporadically blasted cold air then overwhelming heat into the room. When will hotels realise how this needs to be in the hands of the guest

Breakfast was better than expected, beds were comfortable not a bad area near a few local bars

• Standard Room

Dirty bathroom, pubic hairs in the bed, sticky floor, broken coffee machine. You tell me how you can market a place like that without lying to the consumer.

• Queen Room - Disability Access Tub

The properties across the street and a block behind we're covered in debris and litter.

The location turned out to be in the ideal spot for what we had come to do. Several venues and restaurants were all within walking range. And the staff could not have been more accommodating.

• Standard Room

The breakfast - hot food was unavailable. I was also under the impression by booking a double bed room they were available when I booked it and I would be getting one when I arrived. I didn’t expect to be put in a single standard room....there’s no point in paying extra, I would have booked a bigger room/bed and spent the extra 10-20 dollars.

Close proximity to Barclays.....

• King Room – Non-Smoking

THE ONLY thing i didnt like WAS THAT there WAS no microwave or small fridge BUT everything else WAS good

THE bed was so confortable AND the breakfast WAS good

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Great value. Very clean and conveniently close to the Braclay center. The breakfast was also superb, a huge spread with variety. I was very pleased with the food they had and the room. I’m gonna look for Hokiday Inn Express everytime I travel.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Elavator didn't work don't stay on the 8th or 9th floor there was no parking for guess we had to park 4 to 5 blocks from the hotel very poor customer service

The room was nice?

• Standard Room

A member of staff (woman) got into a vulgar screaming match with a man (don't know who he was) in the breakfast area - not cool!

Great breakfast variety. Comfortable and clean room. Never ran out of hot water when showering.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

It serves it's purpose so I didn't have any complaints about the property

The property is in an excellent location, and it is clean with good facilities and amenities.

• Standard Room

There were no pillow cases on the bed. They didn't have toothpaste. The shower head was poor quailty. The room smelled smokey. It was cold in the room even with heat on. The Valet required an extra payment. I parked my own car in Valet.

• Standard Room

The staff was rude. They ended up sticking us in the basement with the promise they would.move us up I'm two days which they decided not to do after the rude housekeeping manager said no. After that interaction they refused to even clean our room.

The breakfast was all that I liked about this place

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room extremely small. Lock to bathroom door did not work. Neighbors doors very noisy, slamming throughout day / night. Did not have 'do not disturb' sign in room to place on door, therefore housekeeping knocked on door early and attempted to enter very briefly after just knocking once. Didn't give time to get up to answer the door, before you know it door was already opened by housekeeper.

Staff was nice

I have no complaints

First and foremost I would like to thank the staff for giving me flowers,balloons,a card for my birthday,and for upgrading my room to a jacuzzi room.the staff was very friendly and my room was very clean and stocked with all the supplies that I needed.I truly appreciate everything and I will be staying there again and I will definitely tell my family and friends about this hotel.

• Standard Room

I didn't see anything wrong at all.

First and foremost the staff was very pleasant and nice,they gave me flowers,a card,and balloons for my birthday,they up grade my room to a jacuzzi and my room was absolutely beautiful,clean and well stacked with supplies.kudos to the Holiday Inn Express Staff.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Wonky door that didn’t lock properly (plus side: staff responded quickly and took $ off the bill as an accommodation). Heat/fan system in room was totally wonky — rattling fan stayed on all night and was not only impossible to turn off but distracting my loud. Unfortunately it was too late to switch rooms. Otherwise room was clean and comfy.

Comfy bed. Cheerful and helpful staff.

• Standard Room

No shower curtain or washcloths. Room was not clean-TV screen filthy. Also, charged my cc and daughters for room (she made initial reservations for us). One elevator for 9 floors - long wait in morning.

• Standard Room

I called the hotel numerous times before my visit to make them aware of my arrival, no answer. Late check in was awful! Hotel room was not clean, staff was rude! Laundry was dirty. Not vacuumed!

Location was near my event at the Barclay Center.

• Queen Room - Disability Access Tub

Bloodstain on the sheet Hotel ran out of blankets on a cold night Could hear neighbors ADA wheelchair accessible room was not comfortable for a wheelchair bound person to use ; no chair in shower. Space poorly designed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The rooms are tiny. The linens on the bed was dirty with blood spots unbelievable. To get the room change they give us a handicap room. It's a shame

• Standard Room

Little far from the pubs and restaurants and main park.

Walking distance to Brooklyn transportation hub. Nice and polite staff. Cleanliness. Rooms size are fine.

• Standard Room

Housekeeping was below par. Rubbish bins not emptied, sheets not changed despite staying 6 nights and carpet not vacuumed.

Fantastic breakfast choices, bed was super comfortable and room temperature very good.

• Standard Room

Very upset with accommodations and the staff reaction. We had two adults in each room and was adding a third on the second night. I specifically asked for two double beds in each room - within the booking reservation and then I emailed. The night clerk was rude and said my late check-in made it impossible. No cots - had to ask a friend if my husband could sleep on their couch!!! Couldn't find hairdryer, phone didn't work, elevator was slow, bumpy and scary!!! Not worth the savings!!!

Location was good

• Standard Room

Checking in was quick and easy, everyone by the desk was super nice. Every employer in holiday inn was nice, understanding and helpful. Room was clean, towels changed everyday, the view was also very cool. If we needed anything for room (like clean towels, soap...), we just asked and it was brought to us. (again very helpful personel). Bed was really big and comfortable. We were on the 8th floor. It was nice and quiet. We used elevator to go up, and stairs to go down. Elevator was slow on rush hours, but it wasnt to much inconvenience. Breakfast was a very nice plus, since we didnt like the food in new York in general (we are from europe, the gourman paradise :-D). For breakfast we could choose from milk, cereals, pancakes, eggs, bacon, cofee, toast, marmelade, cinamonrools, yogurt and much more... we liked it. Location also worked for us. For the first 2 days we were visiting lower Manhattan all on foot. We made approximetly 23km in one day, but it was worth it: the view by the beach and Brooklyn Bridge and 9/11 Memorial, also Lady Liberty... Other 7 days we were traveling with Subway. On weekends Union Street Station to Bay Ridge (last stop to downtown) is closed, but you can switch on the next station and (going to uptown) stop at Union Street Station. You have 2 minutes from Holiday Inn to Subway Station. WiFi worked well for what we need it. TV was working although we didnt need it that much. When we checked out we could leave our things by the reception, and then come back in the evening to pick them up, since we had our flight late in night.

• Standard Room

Like most NYC area hotels the building has its quirks. The elevator is really, really slow. Parking was around the back of the building and you had to walk around to the front, via the narrow driveway, to reach the entrance. Just oddities of the space and the design that really cannot be fixed, but travelers should be aware of.

Many options and all were good. Great coffee.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Inroom Carpets, curtains and public areas and stairs were dirty. Room was under street level no day light. Takes time to transport to manhattan from brooklyn. Breakfast included but very "express" and commercial. If i searched more could have found much better stays for slightly more money.

Quiet room. Clean bathroom and sheets. Good free wifi. Very close to a train that takes you to manhattan and other brooklyn. Area around is residential and quiet. The reception staff was very friendly and professional.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Room wasn't clean..service wasn't good..room noisy..correct room wasn't available..bed was sqeaky..burnt smell most of the day..bad experience

• King Room – Non-Smoking

We were placed in a room on the first floor across from the elevator and we could hear everyone walking by and the elevator constantly going off. There really wasnt a window so it was dark and felt like a basement.

The breakfast was good and the bed was comfortable.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Air con very noisy, building was a bit dated/run down, halls noisy when others pass by.

Bed was comfy, very near to transport links and great restaurants/bars

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Breakfast - plastic plates and cutlery are not a good! Better coffee needed!

The beds were very comfortable and good value for money. 100mtrs from the subway and walking distance from lots of nice restaurants in Brooklyn.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

old and dirty. very dirty. unpleasant staff unhelpful staff housekeeping : lazy and despising. don't ask anything : they do the exact opposite. bad location : the neighborhood is weird. subway is closed on week ends ! Noisy bed/matress. air conditionning inefficient the very high price for the very bad service . you can be in manhattahan fora lower price and a higher service. Holiday inn must be lots of money here !

• Standard Room

The only inconvenience we encountered was that we couldn't check-in a bit earlier (like 2pm vs 3pm).

Great location, easy access to city center, comfy bed, great breakfast choices, very helpful staff.

• Standard Room

Unlike Serenity at Home this hotel is in a reasonable area of Brooklyn. Great access to JFK airport on Subway and Howard Beach Trainline (only$7.75).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

car parking is a problem. there is not free parking for guests it is 40 dolars per night.

lacation and breakfast was good. and there is a beautiful BBQ restaurant just across the street ;)

• Standard Room

Breakfast self service was poor. The single lift in the hotel which served 9 floors was very slow and seemed to have a mind of its own.

Beds large and very comfortable Convenient to where we were visiting

• Standard Room

When we checked in, my cousin's bed linen had stains on them so we called the front desk. The staff had to go through 5-6 different linens before they could find one that didn't have stains on them. The bathtub drained slowly. When we came back to our room in the evening the beds were made but no towels and washcloths were put out. We had to call the front desk for it.

The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was tasty and the hotel is very quiet.

• Standard Room

There is only one lift, super, super slow. The cleaner was not replacing the coffee every day. The front desk attendants don't know how to deal with more than one person in front of them.

The location is very good. The bed and pillows are good as well.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Called to confirm parking & was told no need to reserve. Reason I picked this hotel was parking in NYC. Got there & Had to park 4 blocks away & told I should have reserved parking. Told girl that I called & her attitude was "oh well", gave us a room & got up there & girl in room, room not ready, had to bring bags back downstairs to get a new room. Again, receptionists had a very unapologetic attitude. Door stuck ever time you used it, noticed other people on floor having same issue. Overall not a great experience.

Room was small, but clean & comfortable

• Standard Room

I had a room on the ground floor. The only way to go up a half a floor to the lobby was to wait 15 minutes (or more) for the elevator or to walk up a half a flight of stairs to the outside and go around to the front of the building and re-enter. I had to walk around piles of laundry, housekeeping carts and other things in the narrow hall way to get to my room. It was obvious that these rooms were not intended to be hotel rooms. It was definitely inconvenient and not worth the money.

• Standard Room

The rooms ,the parking, housecleaning, staff...just not a good experience overall

Nothing....the parking was horrible after paying 35 dollars a night for parking most nights we had to park on the street because we had no parking at the hotel...after asking for 2 double beds in the room they only gave us one bed which made sleeping uncomfortable because it was 2 people ...service was horrible room was left unclean a few times.

• Standard Room

For the two days we were there, there was no house keeping that came up to clean the room. Also, they never told me there was no queen size bed available until I got to the place. They were supposed to tell me before hand.

The pillows were pretty good, comfortable to sleep in.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There should be a shuttle from the airport. Towels weren't changed often enough. early check-in should be a guaranteed option as well as late check out. Drinks (juice as well) should be available all day not just at breakfast.

The breakfast was pretty good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable.

• King Room – Non-Smoking

The room was rather small so when you opened a drawer you couldn't pass because of the king size bed, but that was something we knew so no real complaints!

- Breakfast was good, enough possibilities to have some variety. - We were staying at the 2nd floor (where the breakfast is served) but had no problems with noisy guests. - clean bathroom.

• Standard Room

1) Elevator was inefficient. Waited over 10 minutes for the elevator for checkout (we had too much stuff for the stairs) and only on two occasions when we were going from the lobby was the elevator wait less than 5 minutes. 2) Internet in the room was non-existent. 3) Housekeeping totally skipped our room one day. Annoying when you are paying on the average $225 per night. 4) The night after no housekeeping, we returned after midnight. The room was made up but they had removed the shower curtain. It took them until 1:30 AM to determine that they could find no extra shower curtains. Finally, I asked for a pile of towels to catch the water and received them around 1:45 AM. I was told there would be a $30 deduction for the night, but at checkout, the desk had no such notation. They did, in the end, make the deduction but it took nearly 1/2 hour to manage it.

Breakfast was good. Room was USUALLY clean. Beds extremely comfortable. Towels large and fluffy. Bath products good quality. Nice vanity space in the bathroom and plentiful cupboard and drawer space.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Standard Room

I did not like the elevator. It seemed a bit noisy and not very smooth.

The breakfast was great and the staff friendly and helpful. We were also able to store our bags while we were out on the day we were leaving.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Very bad location, had bad experience when we checked in. I had booked King room, they were giving me the standard room. Their explanation was that I didn't come at 6.00 pm, so my room was cancelled and that the money was being returned. I explained to him that with Booking.com I could come any time and if not I would have charged for the room. He even tried to say that my credit card wasn't working. I explained to him to try again and I was going to phone my credit card company. Amazingly according to himy card worked and he was able to give me the King room. It is obvious they were trying to cheat. The next day I checked out and went to a different hotel. Not happy at all

The room was ok

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• King Room – Non-Smoking

Good bed. Shower handle about to fall off. Employees were very helpful. Good to have a safe. Cover out front kept us dry while getting vehicles. Area seemed clean. Very little trash.