Reviews of Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown 3 stars

334 O'Keefe Ave, Downtown New Orleans, New Orleans, 70112, USA

#106 of 148 hotels in New Orleans

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Coordination between staff was missing. I clearly mentioned rejecting an order which was supposed to be delivered after I checked out. She even made a note about it. Still, the order was accepted by someone else and when I called multiple times, I was put on long hold and eventually asked to call back after an hour. When I called back, someone else picked the phone and was not aware of anything. I had to explain the complete scenario once again and then I was informed to call back later as she was not aware of the shipment and could not locate it. I am at a loss of 280 USD.

Location is good. Rooms fine and Breakfast was good.

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access Tub/Non-Smoking

The front desk staff...customer service was not their priority. Slow to respond. The breakfast food was not that great but it served the purpose.

Comfortable beds and pillows, nice room size, very modern.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had expressed from day one how I wanted towels and bed done. It was completely ignored by women assigned to room. One day room was never attended to at all ! Speaking to manager was a waste of time. I told him I will take several issues up with corporate. Other issues were discussed. Breakfast food kept running out and you had to wait. No organization at this location.

The location was perfect. You can walk around to any place you desire. Transportation was accessible to get to. Jerome helped the best he could.

Can't think of anything!

My room was awesome! Big comfy bed, a fridge, microwave, in-room coffee maker, iron, just everything I needed for my 2 night stay! The staff was super-helpful and the breakfast very nice...I came in on Amtrak and it was just a short taxi ride away...I would recommend and definitely stay here again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The housekeeping was terrible. They didn't clean my room 3 days in a row and complained about backup washing. They never refilled toiletries . Had to constantly ask the front desk every nite.

The breakfast was ok. Staff was ok.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

There were many things I loved about this hotel: The bed was so comfy, the breakfast was fresh and tasty - they kept bringing out more food for guests even 30 minutes before breakfast is suppose to be over which I thought was great! The receptionists were always very nice and helpful and even recommended some places too! The room was spacious and the bathroom water was nice and warm. The TV offered lots of channels so whenever we were too tired to walk around - We had something to watch. The pool and gym were also great - more on the small side but my boyfriend and I didn’t mind it since it was just us.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The cleanliness of my room the carpet was not vacuumed the microwave was not clean at all people forget to clean the inside top of microwave the coffee machine was dusty the outside of refrigerator was dirty I had to request new sheets it just looked like someone remade the bed I just didn’t feel comfortable and I didn’t appreciate the front desk clerk speaking badly about a group of customers that were waiting to check in very rude and unprofessional and I was literally standing right there still checking in myself for the price I was very disappointed

Nothing really

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was awful, ran out of milk and not many options and parking was super expensive at the hotel that they didn’t mention in booking but great staff, location, and clean!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool is tiny. The bathroom doors are barn style and not very private.

It was very clean. The beds were super comfortable. The breakfast was fresh and varied and the location was convenient.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff was friendly and personable. No cart for me to carry my own luggage to my room. No parking available for my car Room was clean and convenient to venue Would stay there again, for sure.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The a/c did not get as cold as I prefer. It was not steamy hot in there but could have been cooler in my opinion.

The property is in a great location there is parking behind the building and across the street only about 2 blocks from the Superdome.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

They did not have the updated info on the name changed and would not contact booking.com, horrible check in experience and didn't have the non smoking king room I had booked

• Twin Room - Disability Access/ Non-Smoking

The parking is good but expensive but I guess that's the same with most hotels in this area.

Located about 10 minutes walk from the French Quarter. Modern hotel. Nice helpful staff. Big comfortable room with safe, fridge, TV, bathroom and free wifi. Nice breakfast included.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Shower door would not close completely. Water got on floor. We were never given an access code for the wifi.

Staff let us have a late check-out. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the city.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

House keeping threw away my belongings and I was not accommodated once I told them my things were thrown away.

Free breakfast. Ice machine on every floor.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff during our checkin could have been more friendly and welcoming. The ladies didn’t acknowledge me or my husband nor did they greet.

The closeness to downtown, the cleanliness, the breakfast, and the staff!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking was not free! Cable reception was not consistent. Had to reset the box several times and it still did not work. The TV would not power back on by last day.

Breakfast was great, beds were comfortable, room was cleaned every day.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast (not enough room for everybody, served in plastic cups and plates), cleanliness (our room was only done on one of the three nights we stayed in,) staff seemed not bothered with hosting guests, overall well short of the holiday inn standard you find in other cities

Location pretty close to the centre

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Staff is shorthanded! Phone at desk rings unanswered for minutes. Breakfast isn't restocked quick enough. Twice in our 5 night stay we did not get clean towels when room was serviced. Had to ask for them later. Parking at hotel was expensive compared to other lots around hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were not able to do early check-in; which was a must for us. After driving 10 hours, getting some rest before a concert would have been great. Also, the beds were EXTREMELY hard and stiff. Don't know how we managed to sleep. Also, the bathroom door is a "barn door": you can hear everything. Everything.

Nice breakfast. Some nice staff. Near major areas.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The ice machine was out of order on our floor and the lift needed updating, didn't feel safe using it (and sometimes a little smelly). The main problem was the poor woman on the front desk was doing too much and meant we weren't given much attention while checking in as she was also speaking to other people and answering the phone, this was mainly a problem when checking out as we had a bus to catch and it delayed us.

the bed was very comfortable and clean, the room is nice value for money and a good location from the best parts New Orleans has to offer.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The fact that they forgot to give our license number to who ever in charge and when we went to our car there was a parking block on our tire so we had to wait for them to remove that

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Check-in clerk not very welcoming. Room make up on 2nd day was not done by 5pm when we returned. We got fresh towels and shampoos from maid in hallway. Loose fit Slide-by bathroom door offered minimal privacy and did not mask bathroom sounds. On site surface parking convenient but costs $30 per night....nearby structures available for 1/2 price.

Location within easy walking distance to the French Quarter, seemed like a safe area for early evening. Standard room facilities ok except for bathroom door.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The assistant manager Carl was excellent with help, advice and local recommendations. Always a smile, no problem too big. An excellent job asset to a very good hotel

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Needs more staffing at front desk; Sliding doors for bathroom are terrible for privacy- doors didn't stay shut and could hear "everything " . Tried three times to get coffee maker in room replaced and never did get any response so finally gave up..

Quiet, clean rooms. Nice leisurely walking distance from French Quarter and Jackson Square.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I liked everything except that there was a $30 per day charge for parking snd swimming pool was entirely to small that is what bothered me otherwise the hotel was great. I also feel that the weather channel at breakfast should be muted because you can see what they are saying on the charts and let the big TV with the news of the day be what is heard at breakfast.

friendly staff, clean rooms, great breakfast and good location

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Cause the staff over charged me now I'm waiting on my money and I needed my money. They didn't change our sheets the whole time I was there. Had to pay 29.00 a night for parking which I feel it should of been free behind all the money u charge to stay there

The area

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was very disappointed in the room size, small and cramped. We had just left a previous hotel about 2 blocks away that was great, and actually cost less than our stay at the HI Express.

The breakfast was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could have been better.

The room was very clean with sufficient space, the bed was comfortable, shower was great. Well-designed interior. Complimentary tea and coffee all day. Walking distance to the business district, French Quarter, post office, stores, cafés.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk staff were very RUDE! Rooms were very dirty in fact one room had to be moved as food was still on the floor when we checked in. Breakfast area was filthy and floor was so sticky. Very very overpriced for what we got!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Rude staff members, tiny room, refrigerator and safe did not work. We used the parking lot for 2 hours for our friends car while they visited us. They then charged us for 3 days of parking fees!We went during breakfast to have them correct this, and the front desk proceeded to determine that our room was checked out (at 8:30 am- NOT) to find that our keys no longer worked when we went back up to our room. We had to go back down to the desk, wait in line, and have new keys made. On our second day the housekeeping asked us to leave our door open when we went out so she would be able to get in later to clean our room. She lost her pass key and was afraid to ask her supervisor for another one. There was NO WAY in the world we would leave our door with the bolt lock blocking the door from closing, and go away!!! Vagrants walking into the lobby to use the rest room...a general feeling of being ripped off and unsafe the entire time we were there! When we mentioned the fridge and safe not working, they told us they would send someone right up, that never happened. There is more to say but you get the point. Horrible, that's all.

They were able to store our luggage when we arrived because our room was not ready.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

After calling front desk about extremely loud neighbors in an adjoining room we had no change in the situation, it went on until 3 am so not a restful night

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn’t like that there was no separation of room and restroom. It’s literally a door that separates you and the toilet. Not my ideal type of room.

It was really close to everything!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Poor lighting in vanity area of room. Breakfast menu did not vary from day to day but the food was hot and fresh. Very slow elevators.

The location was great! Lots to do with in walking distance. Courteous staff and clean rooms.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Okay our Check in was horrible, you only had one clerk working and everyone is trying to check in. So im trying to pay with my credit cards and this lady tells me that my cards was decline out loud. people is behind me now im a nervous wreck. So i had to use another card to pay. come to find out the first card went throw. more training on how to check in your guest, and dont embarrass your guest. She was not pleasant lady. She was just rude. And we hated your pool and they never clean the floor. Trash on the floor from prior guest.

your staff is very friendly. The inside is very beautiful. i love the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We checked in, our room was very smelly from mildew / mold. We called the front desk and asked for another room. Staff was very accommodating and our second room was much better. As a note, this is New Orleans, moldy and mildew older building are not uncommon. New Orleans requires some measure of patience. We love NOLA.

Staff was outstanding. very friendly desk staff and housekeeping staff.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I was concerned about the cleanliness of the room. The bathroom door was a sliding door. Even when the door was closed there was no sense of privacy as there was a gap. Also the microwave made a weird noise like it was going to short out so we had to unplug it. Also there was an iron board but no iron.

The bed was super comfortable and the location was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpet had just been steam cleaned in our room. However, there was an excess of water and soap used, leaving the carpet very wet and the floor sticky from soap. Further, there was no ventilation in the room, so the carpet couldn't dry and the smell was incredibly musty.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The sink is right next to one of the beds, so if one person needs to get up early they wake others up. The bathroom door has no lock and slides to close, often leaving a gap. The bathroom extractor fan wasn’t working, and with the bed 3 feet way, it’s not good. Ideally the rooms need remodelling to put the sink in the bathroom behind a more substantial door - even if this means compromising the size of the shower. The WiFi was a pain - took over 30 mins to sort out on my phone, and never managed to get it working on my iPad.

The staff in the hotel were friendly and really helpful - most notably Brittany on reception. The rooms are comfortable and relatively quiet, and the shower excellent. The location is good - just 5 mins walk to Canal St - but the hotel is in a quiet area.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location was within walking distance to everything. Staff was helpful and friendly. They made some great suggestions and helpful tips for our 1st time visit to New Orleans.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Despite booking a room several months in advance for a professional conference, we were told at check in that no double rooms were available and therefore we had to share a bed. We were told this was because of the influx of people for this conference (yeah, we know, we were 2 of those people, hence the early arrangements). The bathroom was tiny and the barn door style closure meant the door didn't actually close/latch so if you didn't shut it just right it would start to slide back open. The staff were friendly and the room was otherwise clean, but will probably be looking elsewhere in the future. The elevators were also incredibly slow, so take that into consideration if you're running on a tight time line and need to get somewhere quick.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

- The first room was connected to the next room by an intermediate door. That door was locked, but didn't offer any sound insulation at all, thus creating an impression of reduced privacy.

- Good location; Clean rooms; Strong breakfast; But it was the impeccable service of the front desk that I appreciated the most, as my wish for a quieter room was granted straight away.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Expensive when their is an event and parking is high as well, no free parking.

Very convenient to French Quarters, downtown and the hose of blues. Great free breakfast option.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

My daughter’s shower shoes ended up missing from our room during cleaning of the room and they weren’t able to locate them

The location and price of hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great staff! They were very sweet and showed us great New Orleans hopistality. They all need a raise. Wonderful location. Was able to walk to Bourbon Street from the hotel's location

Room was too small

The stay was wonderful and walking distance to the all the places we wanted to go. Breakfast was great and people were very friendly.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Not a thing! It was perfect & I will be back to stay here again!!

Friendly staff. They let us check in earlier than our scheduled time. It was just a wonderful experience all around! The front desk employees were just outstanding!!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Check in person was not helpful about early check in since we were sick from a cruise and just wanted to lay down. Barn door to bathroom was very heavy, very little space In the room for suitcases. Lobby and first floor carpet and furniture terrible worn and dirty.

Tv was a good size and hd

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Of the three nights we stayed here, there was one day when the cleaning staff did not clean our room

Central location, generous breakfast, good facilities for its category, comfortable beds and pillows, friendly staff

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Breakfast was late opening both days that we were there, but it was really good once it opened.

Location was fantastic. Very close to the French Quarter. Great breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well after they charged an arm and a leg for extra taxes the charged us 30 dollars plus another tax for each vehicle we had for parking. This is the second time that we have stayed at a holiday inn express and have been charged for unknown things. We will never stay at one again just because they’re no honest to their customers. It’s a shame.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed for 4 nights and housekeeping only cleaned our room the first day. The rooms were very small. I wouldn't stay here again.

Location and price were good

See above

We had no tv the first day, then we had security bang on our door at 3am saying they had disturbances wanted to see if it was coming from our room. We were asleep so obviously not us.

• Executive King Room

What always bothers me in US is sort of automatized selfservice breakfast buffet (although this one was one of the best regarding variability of food type) that use plastic and paper dishes, cups, etc... That is main difference from Europe and not very pleasant experience comparing to the overall price.

Clean and comfort hotel, more or less what I do expect from US hotel(s) on the base of previous visits. Staff was very nice and helpfull and in spite of one fire alarm and doorlock failure my experience in total was very positive. They (staff) are competent and extremely helpfull. I had feeling of warm welcome during every contact.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Not charging me an extra 50 dollars and it took 5 to 6 hour for my room to be ready and it was not ready then had to change room.i drove from Dallas all the way there to enjoy my self because it was my birthday gift from my kids to see the saints play. And i wanted to stay at the Holidays Inn express because the last stay i had was lovely but this time was not so i am going to book somewhere else the next time i travel

Just the city of New Orleans

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

That we had to pay 29.00 dollars a night to park our car.

the staff was very helpful and friendly. the rooms were clean and the breakfast was great. the location was great to the French quarter and to downtown. would stay there again.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We were driving from out of town for a concert which was cancelled the same day. HIE said that we were free to cancel but still had to pay for the room. We come all of the way here and have to pay for parking. Really? The woman at the front desk had NO personality except when she was talking to another employee across the room about a GM being there that day and telling her to watch because they were sneaking around looking. We had to bring our remote down to the front desk twice because it didn’t work and because, now this was a 1st for me, there is no phone in the room!! Finally, this room was ridiculously small period for 2 but for the amount of money? Very disappointed and will never give my business to HIE again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the layout of the property. It is an older building . Instead of having a bathroom door, we had a sliding door which made it hard for my children to open it without the door getting stuck.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Rm 303 no hot water in shower at night OR morning BUT - plenty at lavatory. I informed the front desk staff when asked "how was your stay" and they provided a weak explanation about having the same problem at home. Hotel needs some maintenance before problems snowball out of control.

The staff: They were pleasant, helpful and courteous without exception. Especially the morning team. Very good breakfast. This hotel has huge potential.

• Twin Room - Disability Access/ Non-Smoking

Bathroom floor wasn’t cleaned which is important to me. I truly didn’t feel the carpet and bedl linen was clean either

We had more space than we have had in the past in the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom layout and sink area was not private areas. All combined to the bed area. Did not like the bathroom design at all.

The beds was very nice and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was too small for the price. I had to call for towels, housekeeping didn't come to my room at all. I wouldn't recommend this facility to anyone

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking not secure and too expensive. In close vicinity was undercover, secure parking for half the price.

Within walking distance of tourist attractions

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The shower door tended to leak on the bathroom floor and the room was a bit small but overall it was a great stay.

Everyone at this hotel was so nice & accommodating. The hotel was booked up Halloween weekend, and they made an effort to keep checking to see if a room was available since we flew in early morning and check in wasn't until 3pm. Breakfast was also great too! Perfect close location to the Superdome!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom in this place was facing the beds and the door was a heavy roller type. You could not open or close the door without waking up others at night and if you turned the bathroom light on, the light would be on the face of those in bed. This made it very uncomfortable for me and my wife. This was the most expensive for so little of all the hotels we stayed in on our road trip.

Like the convenience of being close to the French Quarter

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Front desk staff was rude. Checki in time was supposed to be at 3 o’clock but was told it’s shift change and would be a while. Then they didn’t have the king suite I reserved and was given a different room. Had no choice because hotels all around were booked. No discount or any compensation for hotels mistake.

The hotel was nice. Breakfast included. Good location.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The a/c sounded like a jet plane taking off. The bathroom did not have a place to put your clothes while showering.

Pillows and bed were good. The tv selection was great.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I have no problem with the hotel or staff, but when we checked out we said that we would like to use our AARP.card as we were told you honor these....not true, we were told there wasn't any rooms available to use the card on.Next time we will probably go where we can use our card, as it would have been a good discount for us,being retired air force.

Overall l think the hotel was very good, the staff were all really friendly that we encountered.Breakfast was really good.I may stay there again.Hotel was in an excellent location.Very convenient to the trolley cars.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

expensive parking, only 2 elevators that were very slow and smelled horrible. did not have enough staff at check in desk. no vending machines, did not clean our room up while we were there. had to use dirty towels.

good location, comfortable bed

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I asked for a late checkout but they only gave me an extra hour. Understand they are busy but my plane wasn't till late afternoon.

Michelle (breakfast person) was so sweet!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had only 2 outlets that worked. The bathroom light and the light one the sink were our only lights. The television did not work. We informed the staff twice, they fixed it once, it then went out again. Upon checking out, I informed the staff once agai , our parking for the night was removed. That was all they could do because we booked through You! I would rather book through the hotel from hete out.

It was well maintained and clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we first arrived we were rushed to get to a special function we had hoped to attend and didn't really unpack but left things strewn over the beds. My jewelry pouch must have fallen out of my carry-on luggage and when we got back to the room I realized that I couldn't find it. I honestly thought it was left a home and didn't get into my luggage. It wasn't home when we returned so someone must have entered our room and taken it.

Great breakfast

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

- The room's window was locked in a way that we could not open it to ventilate the room. - As a result the room smelled bad all the days we stayed there. - The room maid did not put new body soap everyday, even though it was over - The staff in the dining room never smiled during all our stay

+ Breakfast was very rich in comparison to other hotels of the same level. + The room was very spacious, and well comfortably furnished . + The room was well lit, and contained many Electrical outlets. + It takes about 10 minutes to get to the french quarter and the main touristic attractions

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only downfall...could have had a large mirror on the other wall for other person or persons to use...there was just the one mirror above the sink, but we managed!

Bed & pillows were great! Food was great! Staff were wonderful!!!

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I don't like the fact that u have to pay $30 to park at the hotel and your already paying for the rooms..parking should be included.

It was clean,comfortable,and it's good walking distance from everything.

Browse Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown traveller photo gallery