Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Boston TD Garden 3 stars

280 Friend Street, West End, Boston, MA 02114, USA

#73 of 81 hotels in Boston

Overall an absolute beautiful hotel, loved our room. Well worth our money!
    • Standard Room

There was valet parking....but other then that , there wasn't any actual parking on the property. We had to park in a public parking garage a block away from the hotel. Not a huge deal, except we truly didnt know this driving into the city and it was just added stress.

Beautiful room!

Excelent location, but need to do better job with renewal activities. Need to improve internet servi
    • Executive King Room

General aspect of the lobby and common areas (due to renewal activities). Internet connection was really slow if compared to my expectation of IHG hotels. Unfinished details after the room was renewed. My IHG rewards number was not properly included in my reservation at Booking.com.

Great location (metro station, restaurants and pharmacies nearby) and welcome package (extra attentions for being on renewal). New furniture at the room and bathroom installations; cold breakfast of good quality.

I would definitely stay again it was clean an the room was nice an very close to TD
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

Valet parking no hot bkfst as there is renovations but they did give us free bkfst sandwich coupons for a restaurant. Housekeeping didn’t come near our room til 3:00 by then we wanted to rest . Some staff more pleasant than others as you get anywhere a pool an hot tub would be nice but knew there was none when I booked it . Wifi not good .

I liked the cleanliness an that it was very close to where I needed to be .

Fun
    • Standard Room

The shower water was freezing!!!

The staff was very friendly and the room was super clean, the hotel was within walking distance of all the places we planned to visit

I was very unhappy I booked a double bed room and got put...
    • Standard Room

I was very unhappy I booked a double bed room and got put into a queen room with pull out couch. No one notified me of this change. I paided alot of money to be unsatisfied and the hotel is under construction

This property is currently under construction.
    • Standard Room

This property is currently under construction. We did not feel safe in the facility as it was a mess. There was no notification that this hotel was in this shape. We were very disappointed

we were in a "newly renovated" room and the...
    • Standard Room

we were in a "newly renovated" room and the thermostat did not work and we were so hot the entire time. Unfortunately when we noticed (after we got back from our event) and called the front desk it was too late for someone to come up and assist. Very uncomfortable nights sleep

Pleasant stay with great service. Good location
    • Standard Room

It was out of their control but I stayed during construction. We had to go elsewhere for breakfast. I will look forward to seeing the upgrades.

The staff was amazing. They were happy to assist in anything we asked.

Terrible experience!
    • Standard Room

Tiny room 1 tiny bed for three people !!!! Will never stay there again. Booking.com does not tell you that when booking you don’t really get the the room you requested you just get any random room available even if there’s three people in a ONE TINY BED. And the hotel couldn’t give us a roll away bed cause of fire hazard. No one could sleep on the floor cause there was no room and no extra blankets !! Could of slept on the bathroom floor with towels maybe ? But for 300 dollars a night why does that not seem ok. ??

Location was excellent. Room was clean. Hotel did try to accomodate us .
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

My money was taken out of my account weeks before our stay. The kitchen was being remodeled and the breakfast was scarce. Lacked on muffins and no hot foods. We had to go to a coffee shop for a hot sandwich. We we're promised a king size room instead it was queen size. The tv didn't work in the bedroom. We had to sleep on an uncomfortable roll away out in the living room.

It was ok...if not for the construction and lack of breakfast it would have been great
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No breakfast was offered in the hotel, instead only received 2 coupons for a sandwich down the street even though there were 4 people in my party. Construction was going on that I wasn't informed of, dust from the drywall that was in the elevator disrupted my daughter's allergies

It was close to everything I wanted to do.

check in was supposed to be at 3pm, we were waiting until...
    • Standard Room

check in was supposed to be at 3pm, we were waiting until almost 3:30 to get the room even other people got checked in to rooms for 2, they could have given us some of those rooms since we were waiting there long before 3pm already and people who came after us could have automatically waited until the room is ready if they arrive later. room was very hot and dry and it was difficult to breathe

Great location with quick access to anything
    • Standard Room

Renovations being done while we were there and you could hear some of it during the day, small bathroom and the street the hotel is on, is not the best looking area... loud bustling downtown area with rowdy late night bar patrons.

The bed was amazing and the pillows were SO comfy. I'm assuming it's because everything is being remodeled to "Indigo Blue", as our room had all new amenities. The free hot breakfast sandwiches included with stay (they had no kitchen due to remodel) at Boston Common Coffee Co. on the next street over were AMAZING! Staff was all super friendly and welcoming.

The location was ideal!
    • Executive King Room

There was some construction going on that made it look a little less than ideal when you walked into the space. While the proximity to things was great, the street it is located on is not terribly inviting.

The location was ideal! Right near the garden. Perfect for going to dinner in the North End!

Overall nice room, nice staff, and convenient location just high price.

Wasn’t informed that the hotel is under construction. It didn’t affect the stay much except there was no promised hot breakfast in the hotel. We were given vouchers for a nearby cafe. Also, found the room overpriced.

Comfy beds, great proximity to TD Garden , friendly staff

Rooms were bigger than expected.
    • Executive King Room

We hung a “no turndown service” AND “do not disturb” door tag on the outside of our door and housekeeping still came in.

Rooms were bigger than expected. Location was great.

Overall good comfortable stay
    • Standard Room

My bookings promised me breakfast at the hotel BUT due to some construction work going on I was handed a coupon for some sandwich place, the lobby had bananas and coffee though.

Staff is very supportive and helpful Specially front desk staff Kate

Was not informed work was been on going in the hotel
    • Standard Room

Lot of work going on in hotel .so breakfast area was not ready. Was expecting more

Near everything room fabulous newly refurbished. Very comfortable

A very comfy, clean, with a very helpful polite stuff hotel, located in downtown close to everything
    • Queen Room

You pay what you get for, but still a little bit more affordable would've been great.

My 2 night stay there was very pleasant. On the very first moment I had to call the hotel, I talked with the front desk to ask for an early check in they were very polite and helpful. When we finally arrived at the hotel, I loved the room. It was spacious, with 2 windows a little kitchen and a small fridge. The housekeeping was perfect. And they offer a real breakfast not just a continental one. I would definitely go back there if I was traveling again

too much construction - should have been notified of this...
    • Queen Room

too much construction - should have been notified of this ahead. Room thermostat or system not working well - way to hot even at cool setting. Room more like a closet - claustrophobic

Once renovations are done I would stay here again. Wish we would have known there were renovations
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were unaware they were in the middle of renovations. The room itself was small but very nice as it was recently renovated. The breakfast selection was limited and everything had to be brought back to the room due to construction.

Location was great. A block from TD Garden and a short walk to Quincy market. Staff was nice

Love the room...perfect location...friendly stuff!!!

Building is getting renovated so there's not really a spot for breakfast, they give us a voucher for a cafe close by...the food from there was "ok"

Convenient, clean and economical Boston hotel
    • Standard Room

The air in the room did not work. So, overnight the room got hot and stuffy and we could not cool it down. In the morning we opened the window but with no breeze it didn’t help much. Luckily it was about 45-50 degrees outside so it wasn’t at a time of year when the heat would have been oppressive. We were only there for one night and checked out. Had we stayed longer we would have spoken to management about the problem.

Facility was clean and attractive. Furnishings were modern and comfortable.

Stayed for a Celtics game on Valentines Day and was not...

Valet parking was slow but still convenient, just plan on waiting a good 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour before you go anywhere event though they tell you 10 minutes.

Stayed for a Celtics game on Valentines Day and was not disappointed! Hotel exceeded our expectations for the price and location. Will definitely stay again.

Staff was friendly but place was in bad need of upgrade.
    • Standard Room

As soon as I entered the bathroom, a bug was crawling across the floor right in front of the toilet. Also, I requested two beds and even called in advance to confirm and was told that I was all set. When we checked in and got to our room, there was only one bed and I was told that all other rooms were full. The hotel was very old and dirty.

The breakfast was the only good thing about our stay.

Room was nice but breakfast was gross
    • Executive King Room

Parking was $43 a day which I was not aware of until arrival. I felt bamboozled. Breakfast was subpar. I’ve stayed at another holiday inn express with the exact breakfast choices and it was a lot better (i.e. bagels were not old and dried up, bacon was not greasy/chewy/paper thin, egg didn’t look like neon yellow mushy tofu)

We went for a Celtics game and was happy that the location was very close to the Garden. We were able to get an early check in and the front desk and valet were very friendly and accommodating. We got a free upgrade to a newly renovated suite which was nice. The actual room looked modern and clean. We forgot some amenities and the front desk gave us a toothbrush, toothpaste and shaving cream and razor.

Really enjoy the convenience of the distance to the Garden. Went to 3 games over the weekend.

I've machine in basement.

Room renovated,very nice. Was put on a higher floor due lower floor being noisy at night after games. Staff at desk did a great job to accommodate our request.

Worth it for the location alone

Room was not what I expected - small stand up shower stall. Vinyl on the headboard was flaking off, and the curtains were just stapled to the ceiling - the blinds were broken so they wouldn't close all the way - so there wasn't as much privacy as I would have liked. There also was no closet in the room which I thought was odd - just a small room in general for a king bed. Also, not the best breakfast I've had to say the least.. not many options, and the juice machine was completely broken. Definitely worth it to go somewhere in the city for breakfast instead.

Staff was very nice and helpful at check in. Bed was very comfortable. Perfect location if you're going to an event at TD Garden.

Good location, disappointing facilities.
    • Queen Room

No chairs in seating area in room for relaxing, (the booking said we would have some). Lot of the power sockets didn't work. No fridge. No daylight. Couldn't see out at all. No shelving or places for toiletries in bathroom. Unsympathetic manager.

Comfortable but we won't stay here again due to it's location.
    • Queen Room

The hotel is rather drab; when we arrived we didn't know we wanted to stay there but the front desk staff made us feel welcome and immediately allocated our room at 10:00 AM. The hotel is located in a rough end of Boston; we did not appreciate the street noise that lasted into the early hours of each day we stayed there.

Clean, comfortable hotel. Nice, helpful front desk staff. We did receive a nice points recompense for the street noise.

I learned that in the future, I should make reservations directly with the hotel
    • Standard Room

I had made reservations 2 months prior to arrival for a 2 Bed room. I was disappointed when I got there to find that I could only get a room with one bed and a couch that made into a bed. The room with the couch was so small that when the couch was made into a bed, here was very little room to walk around in. After two days they found a room available with two beds and offered to move us. Since we spent most of our time out of the room, we declined to move.

Location was great (very convenient to subway). Staff was friendly.

Highly overpriced for what we got!
    • Standard Room

Location good for access to public transport but in a dodgy area for safety in view of the high number of beggars, drunks etc that were in the immediate area. The hotel room itself was in need of a serious update by way of decoration. The smell in the corridors was objectionable. The breakfast was poor. The cost of our stay was absolutely extortionate for what we received. Overall our holiday was ruined by the hotel!

Staff.

Great, we plan to stay here our next visit

Wish they offered transportation to and from airport

Staff was so nice and helpful!!! Loved that breakfast offered warm, fresh items, along with the normal muffins,bagels, cereals.

Clean but over priced
    • Queen Room

Over priced and we had to pay an additional $45 to park which is completely outrageous. Parking should be included in the room price.

Room was clean, breakfast was great.

Overall good experience, particularly the staff.
    • Standard Room

Unfortunately problems with air conditioning but everyone did the best they could to make us comfortable including delivery of a fan and redirecting of air flow. Underpadding of corridor carpeting quite lumpy so be careful if you have mobility challenges. In terms of value, due to a/c issues, we received a different rate which made the value much better, but would have to say regular rate is high.

Kaitlin at front desk was amazing. Valet and property management services also excellent - very responsive.

Gouging of America

The cost of parking should be included in the outrageous room fee , there should be law again price gouging of three hundred dollars for one night !!!!!!

The breakfast was excellent

Located directly across the street from TD Garden.
    • Executive King Room

Finding the entrance to the hotel was not easy. It is in an old building that goes along Friend St , which is a one way street. The front door is just like any other door entrance to a shop or bar along this street, with only a very small Holiday Inn sign above the door.

Located directly across the street from TD Garden. The T Line is right around the corner.Haymarket and Faneuil Hall are just a short walk.

Not "stumpein
    • Suite with Sofa Bed

We booked a suite for four of us. The bed on the settee was not at all comfortable. The room was often very noisy due to nearby building work and during and after a home game at the adjacent TGarden stadium.

Accessibility to the town-you can easily walk to the Freedom Trail and the Metro Station at Haymarket. Good complimentary breakfast and a variety of eateries nearby. An especially good one was the Ruby Room at the Onyx Hotel.

Extortionist prices, no value for money, the worst Holiday Inn Express ever!
    • Standard Room

Dated room at extortionist prices! Furniture very used and broken, furniture doors hanging only on one hinge. Very very noisy windows. Could hear every car and truck drive through the street. Staff did not deliver what they promised. Overall the worst Holiday Inn Express that I have ever stayed in.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Unsatisfactory
    • Executive King Room

The room was not at all what we were expecting from a Holiday Inn. In our four week holiday it was the only room we were disappointed in. The bed head was peeling and the room felt dirty and was very tired. The lighting was poor and extremely dark. Our granddaughter was bitten by what we think were bed bugs and was bitten all over her torso. I would not go back to our room until I abbsolutely had to. For $400.00 Aus it was terrible.

The staff were quite friendly.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

disappointed
    • Standard Room

was given the wrong room. I booked a room with two double beds and was not given this. When I asked about it they blamed booking.com and said I should have called and made sure the reservation was accurate.

the staff was very nice

Not the place for a family stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom looked like it had black mold growing in the grout and on the ceiling. The room did not have a fridge which was disappointing because the information on the internet led me to believe it had one. The noise from outside was horrible, the windows are not insulated well and the interior was old. We did notice that they are remodeling, but we were not in one of the "new" rooms. Lots of bars in the immediate area- not where a family should stay.

The staff was pleasant and helpful.

I liked that it was right down the street from North station...
    • Queen Room

The staff at check in was very rude. The noise from the bars below on Friday and Saturday night were loud. The streets were lined with trash and they could have had a better sign on the front of the hotel so you could see where it was as you walked down the street.

I liked that it was right down the street from North station and only about .5 of a mile from everything we wanted to do so we could walk

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Right next to TD Gardens!
    • Standard Room

No view and mattress sloped and stairwell had a funny smell and staff should be more clear in directions for people from away.

Nice amenities and a kitchenette and extra bedding and a variety of breakfast items and a doorman

Rooms were good until there was a leak in my room. Water dripping on the air conditioner.
    • Queen Room

The lady who was acting manager was very unfriendly , would not give me a chance to speak. Was going to over charge me until I complained about her. She is not a people person.

There was no restaurant in the hotel , just a little area to pick up breakfast like a continental breakfast. The lady preparing the breakfast was extra nice and accommodating. Over worked

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Dirty room
    • Standard Room

The first room was gross. Had someone's dirty sock under the bed and there was a lot of hair in the shower. Stained dirty shower. And the second room they changed us to had blood stains on the shower curtain

Great staff. Delicious breakfast.

Beides from great and friendly staff,reat was blah

Room layout and fact that i wanted 2 beds

Went with my son and booked 2 beds was given a room with a fold out bed and 1 bed...linens were itchy and scratchy...room setup was horrible ,the tv was in front of a knee wall and unable to view comfortably from the bed or couch...location was perfect for going to td garden...surrounding area was iffy at best ..wouldnt frel to safe walking around at night

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Not what I expected....
    • Executive Queen Room

First of all the pics in booking.com were NOT what was given to us...... I had an executive suite which had tiles coming off....carpets that were ripped at the corners.....the bed was suppose to be a queen but it was more a California twin...if that make sense....not worth the money....

Breakfast was good....location to td gardens was great.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

The rooms were not ready at check-in time.
    • Standard Room

The rooms were not ready at check-in time. It was a 2 hr wait. Checking out was fine, but waiting for valet was lengthy. Didn't find any of that very professional.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

The proximity to TD Gardens and Mike who was very pleasant...
    • Standard Room

The fact that I called a week before and confirmed my reservations and was told I had the last room with 2 double beds and I was all set only to get there and they gave my room to someone else and I ended up with a king size bed (1). Needless to say there were four of us and one of us slept on the floor. The next morning when it came time to get our car from valet parking, they misplaced our keys we waited at least another half hour from when they told us it would be ready. The whole stay there was a nightmare from the minute we stepped foot in the hotel. Also, they had 2 elevators only one worked, climbed 5 flights of stairs each time we went out. They only had 1 cot, we didn't get it already being used when I asked. NIGHTMARE!!!!

The proximity to TD Gardens and Mike who was very pleasant and helpful

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

I left a new pair of ll bean gloves in the room by mistake,...
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

I left a new pair of ll bean gloves in the room by mistake, knew exactly where I left them called them and immediately, had to go through the lost and found, I am thinking the maid got a new pair of gloves!!!!!

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Friendly hotel in convenient location.
    • Standard Room

Although breakfast was convenient it was very 'disposable' Plastic cutlery etc. (maybe this is the norm in US?)

Convenient and quick breakfast. Comfortable bed. Good internet connection.. Friendly staff. Walking distance to North Station.

Do not expect too much from this place

The hotel is next to several noisy bars, avoid rooms on street side, especially during weekends. Breakfast is served in the 'lobby' which is basically the front desk room

Good situation next to a subway stop, and approximatively 10 mins walk from good restaurants in North End.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Great location, rooms are very noisy

The room was VERY noisy. Windows on the Friend st. side need to be replaced. You can hear every voice down on the street

Great location for TD Garden venues

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Location good staff friendly and coffee in the foyer was a nice touch
    • Queen Room

Room was noisy.heating was too warm adjusting it could be confusing to guests. Did not like feel of carpet under my bare feet, as they did not appear to be clean.

Good choice of food for breakfast. Nice coffee too

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Great king suite room with plenty of space for our group of...
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

There was a giant cockroach that crawled out from underneath our bathroom sink just as we were packing to check out!!!

Great king suite room with plenty of space for our group of friends to stay.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

I won't be staying here again in a hurry!
    • Standard Room

Staff unfriendly and gave the impression they didn't want to be there and 1 time rude, 1 lift always broken the second very slow, breakfast served in with polystyrene plates/bowls etc, not great choice either. Room way to warm as aincient room cooling system did no good, Hotel felt dated. Felt ripped off for the money I paid, never again!

Good size comfy beds. Always clean.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

staff very friendly
    • Standard Room

the rooms need to be brighter-the paint colors made it a little depressing especially since the views were another brick building

friendly, helpful staff, breakfast was great

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

The staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Suite with Sofa Bed

The hotel could have clearer signage. It was a little hard to find.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice to come back to the hotel and there was cold water available and hot water for tea. Our room was very comfortable for 5 people. Breakfast was very good with a good selection. Location was great. Walking distance to most tourist attractions and very close to T station and north station.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Too Noisy

The above says it all!

First night there was so much screaming and yelling outside after the bars let out that we didn't sleep until after 4. There was also a group of people breaking into a car below us. The street noise was SO loud all night with ambulances, fire trucks and police cars. We were moved at my request to a totally quiet for our 2 nights. Staff was excellent at helping to resolve our issues.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Ashley, at the front desk, was especially charming.
    • Queen Room

Soap in the kitchen would have been nice. Although our room was clean, there was a bit of a funky smell in the hallway. Slow & spotty wifi.

Ashley, at the front desk, was especially charming. Very glad we had a room with tile flooring; the carpeted areas need replacing!

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Beware of ONLY valet parking at $43 per night.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

I was not advised of the TOTAL of the stay from Booking.com which other websites provide. I was of the belief that $438 was for 3 nights, not 1 night. There was ONLY valet parking at $43 per day, there was no other choice. This should have been highlighted in the offers of hotels as it made my stay MUCH more expensive than budgeted.

The bed and soft pillows.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

One of the hostess was just gracious.
    • Suite with Sofa Bed

We couldn't find the place after more than a hour of driving. The sign was not visible at all. There was some kind of vibration that buzzed all evening n through the night.

One of the hostess was just gracious. She told us about the hop n ride. This was the day hostess

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Staff very helpful and friendly.
    • Queen Room

Loud area at night and during the day. Windows not sound proof. Ask for inside room away from Causeway road

Staff very helpful and friendly. Large room.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Staff are fantastic and helpful, location good near the T subway, breakfast and dinning area poor
    • Executive Queen Room

Breakfast area is poor The selection and choice for breakfast was poor

Staff were exceptional Nice, friendly and helpful Overall the best thing about the hotel by far My room was big and comfortable

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

The room is clean.
    • Standard Room

When I checked in, the receptionist gave me a room with only one bed. I turned back to them and said I've booked a standard room with two beds. One of them talked me they called it as "standard room" and instructed me that I could use a "pull-out pouch". Only after I protested that I would only have been sleeping on a sofa for four nights while still paying for 2 beds, they started to search a standard room for me. They at last gave me a standard room with 2 beds however I still had to wait for another 1.5 hours as they claimed the room clearing was still ongoing. The check-in experience was not satisfactory.

The room is clean.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

good, but not next time.
    • Standard Room

Road work around the hotel, and there is a pub crossing the door, and noise wont stop until midnight.

Breakfast. Clean. Good Staffs. Valet Parking. 2 min walking to bunch of metros.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Pretty good for last minute booking
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

Had a suite that can sleep 4. We were two adults and one teen. Almost no counter space in bathroom, only mirror in bathroom. Furniture in living room area was chipped, hallways were dingy. Parking was ridiculously expensive. 43.00 a day when we were already paying over 280.00 a night for the room and the garage is 2 blocks away so you have to give at least 15 minutes notice to attendant when you want your car. Tons of street construction going on, at one point hotel street was closed. Located in West end near TD garden, must use transportation to get to most sightseeing attractions

staff was excellent, very friendly, helpful and attentive. Breakfast was included and a fantastic value. Nice kitchenette in the room. Very clean. Very convenient to have tour trolley stop across the street.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Location is the big draw
    • Queen Room

Good room but small for the price.

Excellent location across from TD Garden, and in easy walking distance to Government Center, Quincy Market, and the North End

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great staff, great location, quality of room could be a little better.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom had stains in the tub that didn't really make it comfortable to use. In the middle of the night you could hear everything going on in the hallway. It sounded like someone using a ladder. The light in the hallway was bright and was shining brightly through every opening in the doorway.

The staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Well placed walking distance to downtown
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Standard room Very expensive : 260$ for one night (w/o tax) Noisy Road work in front of hotel

Friendly staff placed in italian area close to center

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Great hotel in great location!!

Cost of valet parking was steep!!!

Breakfast was fantastic,front desk staff & breakfast staff were helpf ul & friendly!! Loved the closeness to all the attractions in Boston.

I found it very relaxing and the room I stayed in was incredible.
    • Queen Room

The staff were very helpful and extremely friendly.

It’s quiet even when the place is sold out which is great
    • Executive King Room

The bed is so comfortable

Good location. Better communicate guests in advance that renovation is on going.
    • Executive King Room

The hotel is still underrenovation. This is a bit annoying.

Location close to a subway station.