Reviews of Holiday Inn Key Largo 3 stars

99701 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037, USA

#11 of 15 hotels in Key Largo

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

because there were not many guests the breakfast buffet was...

because there were not many guests the breakfast buffet was closed, then they charge extra money for breakfast. if the buffet was open then everything was included, so why to charge as for extra money if you do not open it?

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

We were diving in Key Largo, I did my OWD qualification with...

We were diving in Key Largo, I did my OWD qualification with Sea Dwellers and we dove with them as well. The location of the hotel was perfect in relation to where you meet the boat for diving - I did my training in the hotel pool. Extremely convenient and recommend both!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Paradise in Paradise
    • Standard Room

Access to the hotel. Had to make u turn on a busy highway.

The entire atmosphere of the place. Other than seeing the marina you can’t see the water but this place is a constant reminder that you are in the Keys.

Outside of check in,great experience
    • Standard Room

Front desk people were slow and incompetent .Didnt Get in touch when room was ready after saying they would.4 people at desk and only 1 doing anything

Great location and overall set up was perfect

Average but not cheap

Room small and cramped, tiny bathroom, door lock kept breaking and no security chain internally to make sure door was locked from outside, no extra plug sockets in the room to charge phone etc

Friendly staff, easy check in and great location , clean and comfy beds

Terribly stay

Dark, airless room, insecure door lock, noisy ac and noisy fridge., unable to sleep. Very expensive rooms for extremely poorstandard. Paid for two rooms facing car park with open corridor. Didn’t feel safe.

Terribly dated hotel. Noisy and outdated a/c and fridge. No sleep all night. Lock to room not secure. Room facing car park, open corridors. Room very dated, 70s style. Needs urgent refurbishment. Worst hotel you could stay in for the expensive rates charged.

Great location awesome bar nice pools.
    • Standard Room

The front desk clerk who checked me out was very curt and not one smile up until her the staff were very helpful and courteous and always greeted us with a smile😊 I even tried to make small talk and told her how much she looked like Isla Fisher...nothing. Lol.

The shining star of this hotel is the Tiki Bar. The bartenders were very friendly and Tara was a pure delight to converse with!😘

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

A little TLC needed in paradise.
    • Standard Room

Carpets were filthy , I know because your feet turn black , the updates 20 years ago are starting to look aged again . The mattresses were soft but a bit worn out and sagged .The facilities need an infusion of cash to warrant the $250.00 a nite their asking for. We got it for 25% off which helped but who spends a lot of time in thier room when your in the keys anyway .

The pools were nice and the location was superb .The breakfast was good but they need to check the dates on the stale children's cereal . The maintenance staff was prompt when my AC wasn't running when I returned from snorkeling .The staff was nice and attentive and did thier best when asked anything . All in all a 3.5 out of 5.0 score .

Over all it was nice but

Cleanliness and condition of the bathroom, main door was stuck upon arrival to the room and maintenance man had to break in the door. They advertise an included continental breakfast but they bait you into the restaurant area by not showing you where it is or telling you where it is upon arrival. Seems a little deceptive into you buying a breakfast.

The pool area

Horrible customer service!!!
    • Standard Room

The front desk associate was rude. I thought our stay included breakfast. She was extremely rude when explaining it wasn't and said if I didn't like it she could cancel our reservation and we could go elsewhere. I wasn't trying to go anywhere else, I just thought we had paid to have breakfast.

The pool with bar was great!

Pool area was ok, 2 pools and a spa, a little tired looking...

The bedrooms were very basic but for one night, did the job, no safe in Room - Wi-fi worked intermittently, the beds felt they were on top of z bed frames and squeaked when you turned over, shower and bathroom area was ok, had really noisy air conditioning unit in front of window.

Pool area was ok, 2 pools and a spa, a little tired looking needs some updating, had a busy pool bar and there was a great restaurant called Shrimps which is not owned by the hotel but you can put food and drink on your room

Stay upstairs or go elsewhere

The first room was dirty, needed a new carpet and had a mildew smell.. Most likely caused by an issue with water from the storm. Staff did move me to upstairs and the rooms were much cleaner. Clearly had no damage from prior storms which had as much as 5 feet of water in some areas..

Location is perfect and you can walk to the charter boats.

In need of renovation after hurricane
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Pool View

Carpets on first floor were damp and smeltede like they had been flooded - which they probably had been from the hurricane 8 months ago. Room felt like a mould attack waiting to be discovered...

For a Holiday Inn it had a resort feel to it, so we were...
    • Standard King Room

Had to ask for extra creamer and coffee

For a Holiday Inn it had a resort feel to it, so we were more than satisfied with that. The bar staff in the Tikki bar were great, friendly and informative about good restaurants etc. The bed was a good size and very comfortable. Overall we had no major complaints about our stay, and we recommended to some friends who joined us for a night.

Expected more for the money.

Rooms were absolutely disgusting. Everything was falling apart and outdated. Doors had holes in them, carpet was horrible, and bathroom was dirty and outdated. They need to renovate their rooms if they are going to charge that much. The entrance would make you think it was a classy hotel but the rooms are cheap hotel quality.

Lobby was so impressive and it was close to dive charter boats and restaurants.

Good Value and Good Location in Key Largo.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Pool View

Could definitely use some updating and balconies. The buffet was very underwhelming, but not bad.

It was clean, easy to access and had ample parking. The staff was friendly and super helpful.

The view of the marina, the two pools, and the nightly music...

No free breakfast.

The view of the marina, the two pools, and the nightly music at the outdoor restaurants. Also, asked for a roll away bed and it was delivered with extra pillows and blankets. Great service.

Had a great vacation there and would definitely come back again.
    • King Room with Pool View

I didn’t care for the pillows or the bed. Thought the bed was too soft and the pillow choices were either hard or very soft, nothing in between. But that’s just my taste could be exactly what someone else likes. Thought the food/drinks prices were a little high, but nothing that would drive me away.

My wife and I went there for our 25th Anniversary and it was fabulous. The layout of two pools & Tiki Bar is very great. Gives you a real tropical feel to it. Plenty of amenities surrounding us, anything we needed was only minutes away. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, the only thing the room was missing would be a microwave in the rooms. The refrigerator was nice for drinks in the room & for left overs from meals. There are a couple of restaurant & bar selections within walking distance from your rooms.

We had a lot of fun and your business was a big part of it.

I never want to spend hard earned money.

The staff at the desk was friendly and helpful. The "waitress" was also friendly and caring. It was a great experience.

Nice pool and common area but the room was lacking.

The bathroom had paint peeling and drain was stopped up. Carpet was very old

Nice pool and common area but the room was lacking. Beds were comfortable.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was a good side.
    • King Room with Marina View

There was a sliding glass door that opened to the porch and didn't close completely. The hallways could use some updating, they were on the dreary side.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was a good side. The view over the marina was great!!!

I love the hotel itself. Susan at tiki bar was great! Dont be scammed by low price offers!!

I reserved the room with a tripadvisor discount. When reserving the room I was asked if I wanted a room on the pool. I requested a first floor room because I have a problem with my hip and also requested a room by the pool. I got probably the worst room in the hotel. The very back room in the very back of the back parking lot, no outside chair or table like all the other rooms had. It was definitely not even near the pool. The receptionist was not very accommodating and she told me I would have to pay extra for a room on the pool

didn't eat breakfast

VERY upset ,what my money back

Did not get room quoted, people after me received the better roomand we were supposed to get breakfast included in our price but they added to my credit card without authorization!!!!

Staff was very helpful and accommodating with an issue...

The price that was currently offered to customers was $40 less per night than what was booked through booking.com. They told me that once we checked in, they couldn't do anything about it. Booking.com did not get the prevailing rate when we arrived. If I knew what was going on, I would have cancelled the reservation and re-booked. The two hotel rooms that we stayed in were in serious need of upgrading.

Staff was very helpful and accommodating with an issue raised. They went out of their way to handle a price difference between what the hotel was currently offering and what was booked with booking.com

The pool and tiki bar were amazing ammenities.

The pool and tiki bar were amazing ammenities. The hotel is close to nice restaurants and a great state park (John pennecamp) that has kayak rentals and boat tours.

Brilliant hotel...
    • Standard King Room

Nothing. Our go to hotel I the y Keys.

Brilliant budget hotel in the middle of Key Largo. Lots of resturants around ( check out sundowners for brilliant food and views) clean but currently fixing the damage from Huuricane Irma so a few bits of work happening but nothing that spoiled our stay. We have stayed in much more expensive places here but this remains the best. Pools lovely. Great food.

Great place to stay and explore the Keys.
    • Standard King Room

Some of the rooms are better than others and although this one was clean, comfortable and well equipped it wasn't as nice as our previous stay. Value for money it was an expensive stay for a medium quality room.

This was our 4th stay at the Holiday Inn and we love it's location. The pool area is lovely and the Tikki bar and Rita are always welcoming. Plenty of car parking space. Skippers is a couple of minutes walk away and Snooks is 10 mins for some fabulous sun sets.

Value for money (but needs modernising)

The hotel is outdated and while clean and comfortable (and with great staff!) could really do with a full modernisation programme.

My children loved the pool - and we enjoyed the convenience of the location and the relaxing ambience of the pool area.

The hotel and location are great.
    • King Room with Pool View

Your booking service had a price of 60 dollars more than the hotel charges. We booked for two more nights directly.

Staff was excellent, enjoyed the gift shop. Booked there in order to sail on the African Queen.

Clean and everyone was so friendly.We loved outside pool bar too.We lioved Rita,Susan and the other waitress from the Restaurant 👍😊you must be doing something great to keep those ladies 20 years 👍👍

Good. Most staff friendly and helpful

For the price breakfast should have been included. Buffet breakfast was very basic.

Facilities good. Nice tiki bar and pool area. Location good with plenty of restaurants and bars not far away. Good parking.

Disappointed in Holiday Inn - Key Largo
    • Standard King Room

room a/c did not work. Facility was overbooked so we had no where else to go. Staff was un helpful with issue. Room door had to be slammed shut to lock. Vanity faucet was loose and nasty

Comfortable and relaxing.

Breakfast was expensive at bogies. We went elsewhere. There should be a discount for hotel guests. Sunday there were MANY guests at the pool that were NOT guests at the hotel. This was unpleasant and definitely took a lot away from our relaxing experience. Luckily we were there for a few more days that this did not happen.

The tiki bartenders/waiters by the pool were very accommodating and friendly. Excellent service beyond compare.

Good value

Fun too small. Coffee in rooms terrible. No microwave oven in room.

Convenient. Close to restaurants and stores such as dive places and bait places. Good swimming pool and hot tub. Clean.

Expensive, not customer friendly at all

Check in was a disaster for us. We arrived late, we were tired, my master card was not working (because of suspected fraud I learnt the next day), and the receptionists insisted we should pay for the first night or else we couldn't get a room. 😞 So I was forced to use the ATM to cash money, which charged me way too much. What a frustration. In other hotels they never asked for my master card and the payment via Booking worked out just fine for them. We thought this was really not customer friendly at all. At night we were disturbed by lots of noise, because the neighbors had their air conditioning on at the highest possible speed, which was totally unnecessary.

The breakfast was lovely

A lovely couple of days stay at this oasis in the Keys.
    • Standard Room

Tiki bar staff at the pool bar are super nice but it seemed like the “systems” be it computer or what not slowed service.

The bed was so comfortable! The pool area is very nice and fun. Good location on Overseas Highway. Could walk to some restaurants and lots to watch as it it on the canal.

Good value for money, fun pool area with great music and good drinks at the tikki bar.

There was a smell of disinfectant in our room when we arrived. But it was very clean! So, after opening the door for a few minutes and airing it out, the room was fine and very comfortable.

The pool area was very pleasant, clean and the poolside steel drum music was great. The breakfast buffet was good and very reasonable, especially well priced for children. All the staff members we encountered were very nice and professional, and the reception desk staff were especially accommodating with respect to our requests.

It's a nice place to stay, Looks very "old Florida" in decor. Clean and Comfortable, and Expensive!

It's quite expensive for what you get. The main lobby area does Not have FREE anything - including a cup of coffee. And, we are Holiday Inn club members! The food and drinks are pricey! Also, the restaurant behind this facility is pricey and what I'd call "Foo Foo" meaning unnecessary fanciness for very basic things. So if your looking for reasonable bar/restaurants to visit you will need to drive or take an uber/cab. That was the main disappointment for us.

We really liked the two pools and the Tiki bar located in the center of the pools, it also has a food menu with a few items you can choose from. The room was very cute, nice retro decor, in beach colors. Was clean and comfortable as well. Coffee in room, WiFi and other basic items.

Stayed in much nicer cleaner places for less.

Breakfast was not great compared to other places. I had to order my daughters breakfast 3 times before they remembered what we wanted. For the price of the hotel rooms breakfast should be included. Our room was tiny to say it had two queen beds squashed in it. There was a lot of wooden furniture which was dirty, I took pictures. The toilet was so close to the door that you had to walk around it before you could shut the door. View from our room was the car park which was constant noise.

The marina was nice and the pools OK, the hot tub had too much chlorine in it as others have said.

The price was to high for what you received.
    • Standard King Room

Noise above room was terrible could not sleep.had maintaince fix next day floors in room were dirty wife feet were black!

The bed was very good.breakfast had good variety of food

Relaxing place to stay.

There really was nothing not to like.

Breakfast was great, room was clean and comfortable. Truly enjoyed our time there; wish we could of stayed longer.

The room was not as clean as it should have been...

The room was not as clean as it should have been specifically the carpet was filthy. Everything else was very acceptable and enjoyable. Howevedr, I didn't realize just how bad the carpet was until the morinng we were leaving. We would not have stayed had we aw this initially. This is a health issue with stains and dirt the stains look like blood.

Overall this hotel cost way too much and didn’t come close to what was advertised

Dirty carpet to the point where our feet were black from it! Noisy bathroom fan that had to be on with the light. Unpleasant check-in experience!

Not much due to many inconsistencies such as dirty condition of the room, no available outlets and several other issues!

I would definitely stay here again. Quiet, beautiful atmosphere with all the amenities I like.

Need better signage along US 1

Lovely pools and jacuzzi. Great tiki bar serving all cocktails and able to order from the restaurant and eat at the tiki bar. Live music. Great value.

Perfect!

We asked to change rooms, from a room on the outside, facing the parking lot, to one with a view of the pool. The staff was very accommodating, and moved us to a poolside room. The staff was great all around.

The facility has a nice swimming pool.

The room air conditioner was extremely noisy. Adjacent room guests carried on loud conversations until well past midnight. Hotel staff did not monitor the noise issue and failed to maintain quiet in the public area after a reasonable hour. The motel is an older outside balcony design, although some effort has been made to update the rooms. Of about six lights in our room, two were inoperative.

The facility has a nice swimming pool.

It was a positive experience overall.

Our room was on the small side, a bit dated, and had a view of the parking lot. I felt the pictures posted on line made the room appear larger.

The pools were awesome!! The food at the cafe for breakfast and lunch was good and the staff were very attentive.

Bad value and disappointment
    • Standard Room

I didn’t like the building, the location, the room, or the value. I’m from Naples and for the same price I could’ve stayed in an amazing hotel. Also, when we went to the tiki hut in the pool area, it took us 10 minutes to be able to get a drink order and it would’ve been longer than that if we hadn’t gotten our own menus. There was 7 people at the bar..

The only thing that made it alright was the bed, honestly the best part about staying there.

Not good, Kathy V.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Pool View

Attitude of workers, room not being cleaned when we came back from sightseeing, spa full of clorinde that ruin our swimsuits and burn our eyes, nighttime’s bar tender who added a larger tip to our one drink!

Easy to book at the time we needed, where we needed to be.

Very nice.

Microwaves in the room would be nice. Make breakfast free for price of room. Housekeeping came one morning around 8 While we were still sleeping.

Rooms were clean every afternoon when we came back. Very spacious rooms. Beds were very comfortable.

Location was great, coffee, dinner and drinks all within...
    • Standard King Room

Room very dated, carpet felt wet. I will say if I had purchased a pool view I could have overlooked this. I had parking lot with no patio. Price a little high for the room I got

Location was great, coffee, dinner and drinks all within walking distance Bed very comfy

Perfect location for a last minute getaway.

The tiki bar had a funky smell- maybe from a type of cleaner? I am just super sensitive to smell. other than that it was great and the female bartender was awesome and so helpful. Great drinks!

There was an issue with booking.com reservation and the hotels reservation but the staff was super friendly and took care of everything for us! Close to the channel to walk and see he boats. They were beautiful covered in lights at Christmas!

Not worth the price!
    • King Room with Marina View

Vastly overpriced, not very clean or fresh, in need of a major refurb, staff not overly helpful. We paid $450 for a one-night stay at the end of December. Same room one week later is $150! Honestly, the room is worse than a motel I once stayed in that cost $35!

Location is ok, but that’s really the only positive.

for the price, we would stay somewhere else next time

Closet carpet and carpet around beds was dirty and wasn't vacuumed for a while. No microwave. Only 1 chair to sit in. Very limited outlets for charging electronics.

Room had fridge and coffee maker, beds were firm to sleep on. Maintenance was punctual. Pool towels available at front desk. 2 Restaurants on site.

Only 2 outlets at the room.
    • Standard Room

Only 2 outlets at the room. And the one was broke and the coffee maker too. we told the fornt desk 3 times but no one to take care of the problems!!!

Relaxing

No free breakfast.. I thought the ad said it included breakfast.

I like the pool area the Tiki Bar our room faced the poo... very comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. Close to restaurants and on the water!

We have stayed here many times and always enjoy our visit.

Coffee in the room - very poor.

Excellent location and lovely relaxed atmosphere. Enjoyed walk to the Pilot House for dinner each evening. Cleaning staff very friendly and hard working.

All was good

I didn't like staying in the the section that wasn't connected to the rooms Had to walk a long ways to my Room with my 90 year old mother

Like the property near water had a nice restaurant in a restaurant down below your property was good thank you

The room is normal size, is not large as stated on booking.com site.
    • King Room with Pool View

The size of the room listed on booking.com for the king room is something like 3,800 sq. feet, so I knew that could not be correct. But I still presumed that the room would be large because the site says that the room is larger than most hotel rooms in the area. This is why I booked the room. But the room is actually the standard size.

A nights stay while travelling up from key west
    • Standard King Room

Wouldn’t recommend booking through this site. It’s easy enough to go direct through h.inn. I did because I was booking all my hotels through this site. Just that it seems we were given one of the worse rooms ie not refurbished and a bit old and smelly, wondered if we would have had something better if booked direct.

Nice bar open in the evenings

my stay was good

really ,very pleased with my stay ,i have no complaint as almost spend the day on the beach,or visiting key west,almost it was just sleeping,coming tired,taking shower and that was it.its just some people when they leave their rooms,they forgot ,that there's people sleeping,they talk loud

overall,very satisfied,no complaint,hot water working very good,fridge working good,tv working good,i slept very well even i paid for the breakfast but it was worth it,swimming pool was very clean,had good time

Great location rooms need to be updated.

Broken toilet and the door lock didn’t work st all. It was a good thing we had adjoining rooms because we had to go in by the second door and that morning we all used the toilet in the second room. The staff did give us a credit to offset the inconvenience.

Clean and comfortable

Clean, comfortable, central location

Unfortunately we did not get a pool view room but that was just luck of the draw. If we were using the pool or had kids that would have been a nice feature to have

The place was very close to restaurants, stores, and diving facilities. The location was great. Our room was clean and comfortable. On this trip it was the only hotel that also had a gym which we really needed after all the delicious foods we had. We did not eat at the hotel although the menu looked more than adequate.

So, So
    • Standard Room

Person at the front desk was rude and dismissive, told her we booked a King Size room and said they did not have one, yet did not appear that the hotel was even close to being full. Started things off on the wrong foot. Would not stay their again when we go back to the Keys later this year.

The rest. did not open on time, but the server was very nice and tried to be helpful.

Good location, good facilities, skippers nearby is excellent

The smell in the room, smelled like dog biscuits Some of the hotel could do with a facelift The entry doors to the part we were staying weren't secure

Location Pool Skippers restaurant

Will return ASAP ! Awesome !

My stay wasn't long enough...

Location was excellent, close to all fun activities : Scuba, Snorkeling, Fishing, and Boating. Swimming pools and outside Tiki Bar was Awesome. Breakfast buffet at hotel is excellent. Staff was extremely nice and helpful. The maintenance man brought my whole family cookies .

Great except for bathroom

Bathroom was not good, door opened into toilet, had to climb over toilet to close the door. Shower door was very difficult to move, to open or close. Toilet clogged.

Bed comfy, pool area nice, nice lobby, restaurant area

Not good!

Filthy filthy carpets! Feet were getting filthy from the sticky dirty carpets. No offer of compensation when we mentioned it at the desk and they were already aware !

Location a, bar and pool

Good location and pool, rooms very tried needs a face lift
    • Standard King Room

The whole place needs updating, we stayed there around 10 years ago and little or no work has been done to the place, it needs doing now!

Good location, with helpful staff excellent pool

Good location, parking and next to a very good restaurant by...
    • Standard King Room

Rooms are comfortable but outdated.

Good location, parking and next to a very good restaurant by the marina. Breakfast was very good but not included in the rate.

The staff was all really nice and accommodating.
    • Standard King Room

There is no food past 7pm!!! Had to leave property to eat. If you are a late dinner person plan ahead!

The staff was all really nice and accommodating. Our airconditioner was really loud and the refirgerator door came off when i opened but maitenance and front desk was great helping us with new room.

I would stay here again!
    • King Room with Pool View

Tiki bar closed at 7 as well as bar food service.

Loved the pools and grounds. Loved that our room was on the ground floor and had its own door to enter and exit and that we faced the pool unlike the holiday inn in marathon. Tiki bar was good but closed too early.

Average hotel with lovely pools
    • Standard Room

The wifi in our room was rubbish. When we went to complain at the main desk the staff were very rude and told us to call a number to speak to the wifi help desk. We spent 40 mins on the phone and eventually it was resolved. We should not have had to call - really bad customer service at this hotel. The air conditioning was also not great in our room and i was quite hot in the night. Not impressed for the money we spent.

Nice spacious room with 2 big comfortable double beds. Pools were lovely with plenty of sun loungers and had live singers in the evenings. Good location with restaurants and shops nearby.

Good location, but rude waiting staff

I've never met such rude staff particularly the waiting staff at breakfast. As we received a complimentary breakfast due to waiting 1hr 30 minutes to get into our room we didn't pay for breakfast we didn't take any money to breakfast. After we'd finished the waiter Antoin gave us our bill and explained it was complimentary but we had $10.50 gratuity to pay. We said we hadn't brought any money with us but would call back and hand it into him. He turned rather nasty saying that's what he works for is the gratuity sand that we should charge it to our room. Considering the service we received and the quality of breakfast i.e. no bacon left and the sausage was burnt black. He was insisting we charge to our room. However we did return 20 minutes later with his gratuity and didn't even get a thank you.

The location of the location was right on the marina as we had booked the glass bottom boats which is right outside the hotel

Clean, updated Holiday Inn, yet somewhat overpriced.
    • Standard Room

We made the mistake of walking in the back way to the buffet. We grabbed a few items and had coffee, with the thought that it was the free continental breakfast, only to be delivered a bill for $26 as it was actually a $13 each buffet. Not that the buffet was bad, but I wouldn't have elected to pay that much for a bowl of oatmeal and an apple.

We were staying in Key Largo to complete our dive certification with Sea Dwellers. The classes were at the pool in the morning and the boat for our dive was just steps away, so the location couldn't have been any better.

Browse Holiday Inn Key Largo traveller photo gallery