Reviews of Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown 3 stars

320 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27603, USA

#44 of 78 hotels in Raleigh

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Good location for our trips to town, would stay here again.

Parking was a problem when we returned in the evening. The only available spots were for compact cars, which my SUV wouldn't fit into. The staff should be aware when they issue the parking passes of how many spots they have available.

The bed was very comfortable, especially the pillows. The room was clean and we'll maintained.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

The hotel, while older, was quite spacious.

The hotel, while older, was quite spacious. I was impressed with the layout and size of the King room. The location was perfect and within comfortable walking distance to downtown.

The location and views from the windows are great.

The room service was terrible. The room itself was tiny and not very clean. Overall, the hotel is way overpriced for what it offers.

The location and views from the windows are great.

Good hotel
    • Executive King Room

Rooms and especially the bathroom where small. Elevtors where slow.

Great location. Great view. Staff was pleasant. Bed was super comfortable. Rooms where nicely updated.

Clean, comfortable beds and spacious room.

Pretty noisy from the hallway and the street. I was glad I brought earplugs. Also just two elevators are not enough for all the guests and staff.

Clean, comfortable beds and spacious room.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

With one exception, the staff was professional, courteous,...

Everything is broken. The first night they had to switch my room because the lock wouldn't work. The second room the door closed only with difficulty and my report of that didn't get registered with maintenance. Elevators were continually out of service or malfunctioning. While overall the restaurant staff were good, at the bar particularly the service was poor, with assigned bartenders being unavailable or Missing In Action (literally, there would be no bartender and other staff would say 'we don't know where she went'). The hot water was lackluster at best and a couple of nights was nonexistent.

With one exception, the staff was professional, courteous, and helpful.

I loved the location and view.

The first room we were given had not been cleaned yet. We were in a hurry to put our stuff down and get to dinner so we could get to a concert in time, so that was a little frustrating. However, the front desk staff quickly gave us another room. He said he upgraded us to an "executive" room, but I really didn't see a difference. He also gave us free breakfast. The bed was too firm for me, but that's a personal preference. I didn't love the eggs or bacon, but the staff in the lounge were very nice.

I loved the location and view. The water pressure in the shower was good. The towels were nice and fluffy, as were the pillows. The air condition was a little noisy. The (second) room was clean.

Not happy at all. We do not plan on staying at a Holiday Inn ever again.

Hair on floors, Not clean. Mattress on one bed NEEDS to be replaced. Sink leaked all over floor and got shoes wet. Tub did not drain. There was four inches of water in it after shower. Had to wash feet outside the tub.

Double billed

2 different persons charged for the same room. I couldn't make it. So I switched the reservation to my friends name. They charged us both. I've tried to clear this up 5 calls and left 2 voicemails but they will not call me back.

Good value and a pretty easy walk to downtown.

The bathroom is a bit small and my tub wasn't draining properly, but other than that it was fine.

I was there for the Ironman triathlon and happily there were no problems bringing my bike up to the room. And there was sufficient space for it as well. Staff were helpful in getting a mini fridge in my room for my stay. There was lots of hallway noise in the early evening but luckily it was nice and quiet overnight on the 19th floor.

Disappointing!!!!!
    • Executive King Room

I would never stay at this location again! I was on the 17th floor and I could still hear the traffic and noise that comes in a downtown location. I paid for an executive room which was no more than a low rate king room! And might I add this room had the smallest bathroom I’ve ever seen in any hotel! I could not even close the door without getting in the tub! Totally disappointing! Somehow my rating came to an 4.2 however, personally I would give the hotel a 3.

Great location, poor quality for $179/night

Very loud and incessant air conditioner, couldn’t close the door the bathroom was so small, sheets were uncomfortable, pilly, and threadbare. I developed a bad allergic cough after staying 2 nights. The cleaning staff person was incredibly rude to me when I was in my room and told her politely I would be leaving in 10 minutes. She gave a long exasperated sigh and passive aggressively said, “I GUESS I’ll have to come back then!”

Friendly front desk staff, cool and quirky architecture, convenient downtown location

Great location, rooftop bar and restaurant has a wonderful view, great drinks and food. Comfy beds.

Had a wonderful view of the city. The roof top restaurant and bar were great! Female bartender was wonderful and friendly. Staff all very helpful, beds very comfortable.

It was okay.

The desk clerk could not find my reservation. I had to pull out my phone to show him my Booking.com app. The bed was lumpy. The bathroom was so small that you could hardly turn around. Our room was directly over the dumpster. We were awakened at 4:30 am with loud clunking noises.

Perfect for a leisure weekend

For a hotel with 20 floors, a couple of elevators sometimes is not enough for the "traffic", especially in rush hours.

Good location in downtown Raleigh. The room was ample and the bed very confortable. The restaurant in the 20th floor is nice, and the waiters very kind.

A fair value for the money!

While the bathroom was clean it was very small , smaller than my bathroom at home and I have a very small bathroom at home.😉

It was convenient to where I was spending the next day. A fair price for the services offered and the area.

I was actually there due to surgery I checked in on Sunday...

I was actually there due to surgery I checked in on Sunday and surgery was Monday I came back to my room on Monday afternoon i was in a lot of pain but the whole night the the people next to us was literally hollering and running up and down the isle they used the worst profanity I have ever heard. My fiancé called the front desk but it continued all night.

A good place to stay with excellent customer service.

We did not like the condition of the room. There was repair to the ceiling that looked not finished and there were very loud noises coming from the floor above all night long.

The staff from Diamond who helped us checking in to Kendra in the restaurant were some of the most friendly and accommodating employees we have ever met.

This hotel is clean and has a great location and decent amenities for business travel.

The room showed some signs of needing minor touch-ups of paint, the clock radio didn't work. The free WiFi was acceptable, but a touch slow for social media apps, and it would disconnect frequently, which required waiting a short time for it to reconnect.

The hotel is in a location within walking distance to the downtown / CBD buildings and a host of good, nearby restaurants. It's also near to the cozy Glenwood Avenue, which is full of cool restaurants and stores and has great ambiance. The staff were all efficient and friendly. The view of the city was nice. The room itself was clean and room service was very good, the room was always clean.

Middling experience

Over priced. No refrigerator. Seemed outdated in general, paper thin walls, no fan in bathroom. There's more to do in Raleigh outside of town than downtown

Clean, solid location

Wonderful! Look forward to next stay.

NA

Choice of room location, 20th floor bar, espnwillingness of server Kendra to provide Amaretta coffee, tho not on menu All front desk staff Danny et al.

Great but amenities in room need to be checked!

The coffee-maker in the room didn't work and there was no free coffee offered in the reception area.

The bed was super comfy! And, of course, the location is great.

I was pleased with the convenience, but the things missing and cost, I wouldn't stay again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms do not rate the cost at all! The bathrooms are TINY. There is no refrigerator or microwave, I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and had a frig and microwave that cost a lot less than this.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Check in was pleasant, and parking was good.

Great value. Great location. Very friendly staff.

Undercooked waffles in the hotel restaurant.

Great choices around the property. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. My friends liked his meal. My waffles were pretty undercooked. Like eating waffle batter in the center. That could have been better. The neighborhood choices were great.

Bed was very comfortable and room clean

Room is very price is very high ! It’s just a two queen beds , no refrigerator or no extras ! Just to high of a price to pay for a basic room !

Bed was very comfortable and room clean

The rooms were clean but bathroom can be a lot bigger for the price of the room.

It was only one working elevator and it was an inconvenience to me and others. I waited 45 mins for an elevator because I was on the 14th floor. Every time it stopped on my floor, it was full. I eventually took the elevator going up and rode it back down in order to leave!!

It does the job
    • Executive King Room

It needs a renovation, there's so much potential! Things were just kind of dinged up and looking cheaper than usual. Nothing really bad, just nothing to be excited about either.

It was a really easy one night stay, didn't seem fancy at all, but it sure did the job!

For the additional $20-30 I’d stay at a better hotel next time, like the Marriott on Fayetteville St

Room was drafty, needed an additional blanket on the bed, no decaf tea in the room, elevators were cold as a meat locker since they go down to the open air parking garage.

Nice staff-great location!

The bathroom was very small-so much so that the bathroom door grazed the toilet every time you opened or shut the bathroom door.

Front desk staff we’re extremely helpful and friendly!

Loved location!

Bed was too soft, hurt my back. Also, bathroom in room was tee tiny like an airplane bathroom. Wish coffee had been better in the restaurant but breakfast was pretty good.

Loved the location and the unique rounded windows. Loved the view from the restaurant on top floor.

Great weekend get away for parents.

Weekend check out of 11:00 is ok, but should be later. Or they should allow a late checkout.

Restaurant and bar on top floor was nice. Needs a little soft music playing.

Muy excellente!

Honestly nothing I can think of.

The bed was really comfortable and the room was fresh and clean. The bar and restaurant was probably one of the highlights of our stay. The service we received there was excellent and don’t forget the beautiful view.

I like to come back to Holiday Inn downtown Raleigh because...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only 2 elevators are not enough for this 20 floors hotel: you have to wait always a lot of time

I like to come back to Holiday Inn downtown Raleigh because of spacious room, good parking and really good breakfast at 20 floor with fantastic view of the surroundings

I would definitely pick the same hotel for future trips!
    • King Suite

The bathroom was tiny (for a king suite). You almost had to step into the tub to have enough room to shut the door to use the restroom.

The convenience of staying next door to the Venue for the wedding we were attending.

Comfortable hotel at a good price, but a bit noisy.

The rooms are a bit noisy. You easily hear toilets flushing in other rooms. On the first day there was a pack of drunken teenagers, but I guess nothing can stop that noise.

The room and view are very nice. The coffee in the 'nespresso' kind machine was good.

It’s horrible for the value they charge
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

Cold room, noisy useless heater, horrible breakfast quality with loud and unattentive staff. Slow service, unfriendly front desk.

Standard HI facilities

I was above all comfortable and felt safe.

Had a poor experience with the salmon dinner one night. The salmon filet tasted old prior to being cooked. When fresh, salmon does not have an overpowering fishy odor like this one did. Also, the texture of the filet was rubbery like it had been cooked beforehand and waited under a lamp until it was ordered. It was obviously not cooked at the time of ordering. The cook was informed of my being dissatisfied with the dish and promptly came out to greet me in the most courteous fashion. I was happy with that. He tried to offer another plate or desert, but I was not in the mood for anything else at that point. Dish was awful, professionalism was outstanding. Another thing, perhaps it is an oversight on managerial side, but my tub was not draining well. So, I unscrewed the drain plug and it was clogged with hair and muck from previous individuals. I ended up using the trash bag and some toilet paper to pull the clog from the drain because I didn't want to be a bother to housekeeping. Let it be known, I AM PREGNANT and this was not pleasant at all, but it needed to be done.

Housekeeping was awesome. Loved having them clean my room. Always did an outstanding job and I felt safe leaving my belongings in my room while they cleaned. A+

Would have preferred to have paid less. They charged me $4/night more than originally quoted.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Elevator from parking area required the room key card to be read, and it had to be read correctly before you could hit the call button. Had to try it about 10 times to get it all to work right. Very frustrating.

Nice place, Nice people.

I would consider it pricey for the value. Nice place but prob more expensive that it should be.

Staff was friendly and engaging with us. The bar staff was fun to chat with while we had dinner and appetizers. Location was good, could walk to multiple places.

good location and walking distance to restaurants

front desk staff were ok, should have complimentary bottled water

good location, big room, restaurant in hotel had a great view of the city, friendly staff

Great stay, great value. Wholly recommended.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi required reconnecting after some time, and the AC unit was somewhat loud. The bathroom was rather small, but nothing like the horror stories you can read in some other reviews.

Great bang for the buck. The room was clean and everything was perfectly adequate. Good location if your business is in the town centre. I walked every day to the office.

Overall, our trip was enjoyable!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

When I booked the room, I requested a wheelchair accessible room with two beds as there were four of us. Whetwe arrived, the staff indicated that there weren't any such rooms. He pointed out that the description on the website says double but it was for two people. He was helpful in finding us a room with two beds however, it was difficult with a power wheelchair.

Cleanliness of room and the accomodating front desk staff.

I only stayed one night and we canceled second night only to...

I only stayed one night and we canceled second night only to be charged as a no show. I need to discuss this matter with management because we stayed only one night but was charged for two.

Overall worth the money but...

Lines for elevator when checking in were long. Bathroom was tiny. Practically had to step in the bathtub to close the door.

Great view. Air conditioning worked well. Bed was comfortable.

Holiday Inn, tried to charge me for parking in their lot.

Holiday Inn, tried to charge me for parking in their lot. They wanted to add on a $6.00 fee for parking, this was not mentioned on their website or when I booked the room. Won't stay there again..

It was a place to stay...

The carpet needs to be replaced; and I can't imagine the bathroom is code compliant! The door barely misses the toilet when closing!! It's claustrophobic even for someone that doesn't have that problem!!

The location was within walking distance to a lot

I stayed there with a small kid, and found that the hotel...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

I stayed there with a small kid, and found that the hotel was a little too far from the city center where many restaurants and stores are. If no kids, the location was ok.

Over all I enjoyed my time at the hotel.
    • King Suite

Staff could of been friendly and willing give helpful information that shouldn't necessarily have to be asked for.

Everything was walking distance and anywhere we needed to go for our purpose was close by.

Our first room had no working ac, called the front desk and...

Our first room had no working ac, called the front desk and not only did they swap our room, they sent someone up to help us move everything. It was amazing! This location was only a 3 min drive to the convention center, and was very close to museums.

Awesome place with one exception .

There was a dirty washcloth when we check in the room .☹That's about all

The property in great location within down town of everything.very clean with exception of dirty wash cloth was in room .

Great stay for the price & awesome location!

Breakfast a little expensive but it usually is at hotels

The building itself is round so it makes the inside unique as well. View from room on floor 9 and restaurant on the 20th floor were awesome!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Great views of a great town.

Really could use a small refrigerator.

Room was very nice-had a great view from the 19th floor. The bathroom was a little cramped, but very clean. Had a flat-screen TV with basic satellite, and plenty of storage for a short stay. The restaurant was great-good food and wonderful staff, even if we had to wait a while for our evening meal.

The parking, while decent, didn't seem like it would be...

The parking, while decent, didn't seem like it would be large enough to accommodate two cars, one going up the other down. It made me nervous that if someone wasn't paying close enough attention that they would easily end up hitting someone.

Comfortable, cool and convenient

It was a bit pricy, but considering how overbooked most hotels by the convention center were for the dates I was staying, it made sense. Everything else was great!

Loved the breakfast and location! Was by lots of restaurants and the convention center. The fitness center was great, and the staff was friendly and very helpful.

Great Hotel. Would stay again 10/10

There honestly wasn't much I can find fault with. In fact, there's really only one thing. As I said in the previous part of this review, the hotel was clean, the staff were excellent, and the price was very reasonable. However one thing I did notice was some staining on the underside of one of the top sheets of the bed. It didn't really matter as there was another layer of sheets between it and me, and it was located on the far side of the bed, but it was still a little troubling to see.

The hotel was very nice, with a clean and overall pleasing aesthetic. Although I didn't seek much help from the staff, when I did interact with them, they were very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. For the price I paid for the stay, it was a great value, and I would definitely stay their again if my travels ever take me back to Raleigh.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Decent location.

Would have liked our rooms cleaned more often, but the ladies always got there when we returned to our rooms in the afternoon, we often didn't want to be disturbed then, so just got clean towels from them. Our sheets were not changed once for the entire week that we were there.

The beds & pillows were comfortable, room was good. Liked the plugins on the night table, but didn't like that the only night table didn't have much space available because of the radio and telephone on it.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Hospitality Still Exist

Bathrooms were a little small but served the purpose. No shower caps otherwise or fridge. Still pleased with the room otherwise.

Upon arrival, the staff was superb. I was very well pleased at the hospitality of everyone.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Location, location, location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Unclear rules in breakfast pricing. Some mornings juice was included in the prepaid breakfast and some mornings an extra fee was required.

Overall good value for the money. Great views from the room. Easy parking. Direct elevator access to the parking levels. Would recommend any day.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Overall good experience.

I was surprised booking.com charged me before I reached Raleigh - even though I requested to pay in person. I spent a sleepless night trying to figure out who had charged my credit card.

Overall good experience. Great location. Great restaurant

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Pretty Good

The package that I purchased online was supposed to come with free breakfasts, but I was not told this at the property...it was never mentioned. I did not like that that all. That was one of the reasons I chose it.

Front desk people very nice. Rooms were clean and neat.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

The new normal

Desk staff was distracted with other things and didn't even acknowledge us standing there so after about 5 minutes we just walked out to go eat and came back later. I have two offices and you have to ALWAYS acknowledge people when they come in. It's just good courtesy. Also $7 to park your car?? We were only asked if we needed a parking pass. Not told it would show up as a $7 charge. Goes back to desk staff. Not surprised. Young people poorly trained with no concern.

Location was good for our conference which was at the Marriott only 4 minutes away.

Fire Alarms!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Fire alarm woke everyone up on Friday 3/17 at 2:30 in the morning. This was after the elevators were rendered useless earlier in the day due to the fire alarm being tripped at some point during the day. The staff were pretty much hiding behind their desks and weren't directing traffic. They pretty much pretended nothing was going on.

Nice clean room in Downtown Raleigh

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Worst hotel I ever been in
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

WiFi wasn't good, elevator didn't work at times and had to walk up 7 flights of stairs, got woken up at around 2:30 in the morning from the fire alarm and turned out to be a false alarm. Everyone had to leave their rooms and take the stairs to the lobby. Had to pay additional $7.00 just to park in the hotel garage. People were making loud noises in the lobby at night and the staff at the front desk didn't hardly know anything and had a attitude. She didn't even know the alarm was alerting guest to leave the rooms and go downstairs.

This hotel is in a great location and is very clean

The only disappointment I have is the bathrooms are very very small. Bathrooms are rated 2 of 5

The whole experience at holiday Inn was very pleasant. Although we did not eat in the hotel we ate out every day. We would stay at this location again and do recommend it.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Very good except for the "personal facilities"

the bathroom was for midgets! My gosh, using the toilet was a cramped event. Oh, and a nice simple breakfast should have been provided for the price of the room. Hey, even Days Inn does that.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Probably wont book here again.

Heat stop working around 1 am. We had to move to another room in middle of the night. No microwave or frig. Bathroom was small.Did not provide any introduction details about hotel during check in.

Housekeeper was really nice.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Excellent location and the morning staff was much better

The evening staff was terrible, the cable didn't work and the staff went in my room without permission

Excellent location and the morning staff was much better

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Good, but could have been so much better.
    • Executive King Room

The breakfast buffet was terrible ... i.e. strange scrambled eggs and horrible items off the menu. (We sent mine back after one bite.) At dinner, drinks tasted watered down. Food was ordinary at dinner. Would have been nice to have a microwave in the room and also terrycloth bathrobes.

The location and proximity was great for us. We liked the circular parking arrangement and other handicapped accommodations. Staff was so nice. Lots of potential at this hotel.

Outstanding staff and hotel! Fantastic view of the city and very convenient.

The staff went out of their way to make sure that we had a fabulous room and stay for our 30th anniversary! Fantastic view of the city and walking distance to lots of food and activities.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Fine

Condition of building. Air conditioner was SO loud. Sink didn’t drain well at all.

Location. Bar.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Was very comfortable and clean.

The hotel was centrally located and walking distance from everything. The staff was welcoming and courteous. We enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

, no microwave in the room

, no microwave in the room

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Easy

n/a

hot and delicious

The bed was very comfortable, and quiet hotel!

Having to pay to park at the same hotel.

The bed was very comfortable, and quiet hotel!

All aspects ,location rooms restaurant!

All aspects ,location rooms restaurant!all great staff!