Reviews of Homewood Suites by Hilton - Oakland Waterfront 3 stars

1103 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA 94606, USA

#18 of 42 hotels in Oakland

Great place to visit lots to see and do remember to pack jackets and layer up your clothing.
    • King Room with View

Not enough information relating to hop on hop off start points. On our second day we had to walk three blocks to get the bus. The weather was different every day. One day really cold we had to buy jackets to keep warm. When the sun came out it was lovely.

We visited Muir Woods but a little advance information on parking would have been useful as we had a few hiccups reference parking in the wood and transport from the car park to the woods. After resolving these it was a great experience. We took the hop on bus round san Fransisco but again some of the pickup points were not made clear at the start of your trip. Once ironed out we had fun. The trip to solito island was beautiful. Riding the trams were brilliant. Crossing san Fransisco by ferry was a great experience perhaps we would have been cheaper getting a ticket for a week as we travelled on four different days but were not aware of any other payments that would have saved us money. We ate at various restaurants on fisherman’s wharf all were good food. We travelled across the Golden Gate Bridge it was really windy crossing over. We visited Jack London Square in Oakland and had a drink in the first and last chance saloon. Also Alcatraz worth a visit.

I felt at home here !
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

I do not like all the road construction going on on the road in front of the hotel. It makes it difficult for people to pick you up.

I love this hotel! Everything was great !

Not worth the money and they charge your card secretly with out asking or telling you

My bed was so overused, I could not sleep on one side as it was so indented that I would slip off for slide off to the side. I was erroneously charged for therapy dogs $150 for three days which is something I was not warned about as they are papered emotional therapy dogs.

Kind of pricey for what we got, but that my just be Bay Area prices.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was positioned so close to the wall that I had to slide into it sideways. There was no nightstand on my side of the bed, so no place to put a glass of water or my glasses and phone. The final bill said only "zero balance", with no detail of any kind. They charged an additional $25 for "incidentals" but at this point I have no idea if I will receive the promised refund (we used nothing that should incur a charge) or not.

The room was clean and the staff was very friendly and professional.

Solid value for families traveling to the Bay Area.
    • One-Bedroom Suite - Non-Smoking

Some shortcuts in supplies (f/e no dishwashing soap in kitchen, too few pillows, sheets that weren’t snug on bed), filthy carpet in stairwells, broken/poorly functioning equipment in laundry room. Still good value for the region but small fixes could make it a lot better.

Great location if you want to explore beyond SF. Easy access to highway and local roads, and quick hop to transit options such as BART and the ferry. Lovely outdoor space and nice common area. Good breakfast and great to have kitchen facilities. Practical rooms good for families with small kids. Fabulous German restaurant/beer garden adjacent to hotel.

Free parking.
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

Small and old fashioned fitness center. No outside trail to run.

Free parking. Easy entrance to highway both directions. Not far from BART. Dinner 4 days a week.

Pleasant stay for a couple days.
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

Only 1 restaurant nearby. If it's all going well, great, if not some of the junior staff don't understand what's being asked, only the desk can help.

Pool, spa, social area. Harbour side.

Great View...Not Great Service
    • Suite with 1 King Bed and 1 Queen Bed with Water View

My room wasn't ready when I arrived at 3:45 and that it took until a little after 5 to finally get into my room. The staff was rude and unhelpful. We didn't have any keys for our room because the system was having a glitch and it seemed like it was a bother for the staff when we requested some form of way to get in and out of our room. They finally gave us the emergency key for the room about 2 hours later. The room was nice until you really got down to it. There was a hole in the sofa, the screens on the windows were ripped. The breakfast the next morning wasn't good at ALL! They ran out of coffee, silverware, plates, and some food. It was a horrible experience!!

The view from my room was nice. That's about it.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Not worth the price
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

The chairs were covered in car hair. My daughter had bites under her bathing suit. The breakfast was not impressive. It was not worth the price.

The room was and excellent size.My family lives in the pool so I love it was heated. Nice view.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

When I arrived at the hotel they did not have my reservation...
    • Queen Studio - Disability Access Roll in Shower

When I arrived at the hotel they did not have my reservation on file and they were sold out. Fortunately I had a copy of my confirmation from Booking.com. and they were able to accommodate me. I am very suspectible using Booking.cim in the future.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Make sure all you amenities are included before you book
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

That I paid same price as everyone with a kitchen and I did not get the kitchenette ​suite as I booked.

I booked a room with kitchen when I got there they gave me a room completely small and without the kitchen . It was nothing like on booking. They said I booked standard when I know for a fact I booked with kitchenette

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Not worth the money
    • One-Bedroom Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was clean at a glance, but was very dirty overall. The walls in the kitchenette had dried blood dripping down the wall on 2 seperate walls. The fan in the bathroom didn't work so the shower was moldy. The carpet throughout the suite was filthy, and the area is sketchy to say the least. I found no comfort in the hotel security due to the guard chatting with the front desk girl every time I went outside to smoke...EVERYTIME! Hilton should be embarrassed to be associated with this property.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff was very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Everything!
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

I didn't dislike anything! Everything was great and I will be back to stay by myself!

Everything! The staff, the room, the continental breakfast! Everyone was extremely polite and helpful. The front desk lady was beyond awesome

Room was very clean roomy comfy
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

When we checked in the 1st time about 1pm she was unfriendly but when we checked in at 3pm she was very polite and friendly not only that we had a medical emergency and the phone in my room was not connected

Room was very clean roomy comfy

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Nice & safe stay when in Oakland
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Seemed to be only one elevator per building - so a long walk

Location, space in room, breakfast area is spacious, Libby inviting and very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Very comfortable.
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

When I booked the room, it promised me 2 extra hours with the genius perks. The hotel however only allows for 1 extra hour. Booking.com really should take that off their site. Also took over a half hour past check in time for them to get a room for me even with my reservation.

Very comfortable. I loved it.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Good breakfasts and nice evening light meal and wine (during...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Had trouble a few times with shower water getting cold. Had some problems regulating the water temperature.

Good breakfasts and nice evening light meal and wine (during werkdays). The waterfront area is beautiful. I was worried about having a room so close to the interstate but the noise level did not keep me awake. Shuttle was helpful for getting to nearby areas.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

I would not return if I had my choice. If my last resort, I'd rather stay further from SF.
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

I was overbilled three times, and incorrectly billed twice. Each charge was pending for over a week. I had to call to rectify this issue, to which the billing person responsible admitted to overbilling me. Finally resolved 16 days after my check-out day

The breakfast was a nice bonus. Scrambled eggs tasted "processed, but bacon/sausage was flavorful. They also had a waffle making machine that produced tasty selection.

Awful food and custmer service
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

All the food served was gross and ridden with fruit flies. The staff was rude, difficult, and just seemed like they didnt know what they were doing. The manager berated staff members twice infront of us...not impressed.

Nothing, it was super grosd

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

It was ok, we liked that there was a starbucks next door, and a really good german place to eat at.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

our bathroom sink and shower had little short hairs all over. I had to clean both before we used them, so that tells me it wasn't cleaned. It was gross.

Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Employees made a huge difference.
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

No grocery store or restaurants close by, and I'm not from the area. Became lost but found a Safeway as well as my way back to the hotel. The kitchen did make up for the lack of restaurants. Good stay over all.

The staff was fantastic. Friendly, helpful, answered all my questions and breakfast was good. Although my room was on the highway side of the hotel, I couldn't hear the traffic. Definitely a plus. Comfortable beds and very clean room.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

this is not a Hilton!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff was disorganized and uncaring. Never offered to help with my luggage or open the door when I checked in alone at 11pm! 3 women just stood there talking. The lobby was in construction with work men and clutter all around. The internet did not recognize my name or room number and it took 45 minutes and 8 phone calls to the desk to have it taken care of. And the parking was totally inadequate! The front desk clerk actually suggested that I park my car in an adjacent lot not even belonging to the hotel and walk 2 blocks in the middle of the night! I ended up parking in the only space available, handicap for both nites. This hotel give Hilton a bad name!

breakfast was varied, hot and tasty.

I should have kept looking ....
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Their breakfast area is under construction and it was crowded. Trying to get breakfast was irritating. The bed was very bouncy and I could feel the springs. I didn't get much sleep due to the bed. I paid too much for what I got.

It was clean. The waterfront view was nice.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Mediocre

Lobby under remodel (total disaster), no effort to even mask the work being done. Remodel is right next to breakfast where food is served, dust seemed to be all over. Breakfast was ok. Half of the outlets in the hotel didn't work. Phone and TV in room didn't work.

The room was clean.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

No enjoyment here!
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

I reserved this place because it had a view of the water and paid extra to be on that side of the building. Once I arrived I was told that I was also upgraded to an even nicer room. Once I got inside the room there was a huge willow tree up against my window and I had no view at all. Since I had paid extra for the view to be on that side of building I went down to the front desk and ask for a different room and was told there weren't any and ended up being put on the first floor in a handicapped room. They were remodeling the front of the hotel in the lobby at this time so that was unusable. When I went to park there was no parking left and I had to park on the street in Oakland. Once I got in bed I found there was no remote for the TV. It took 42 minutes for them to bring me one by that time I was asleep. In the morning we asked to speak to a manager and was told he was not there and would get back to us. Several days later he told us he would refund us half of our money but that never happened. Three weeks later we called him again with no luck If you need a place to stay for the night this will do. If you're going here to have a romantic time with your spouse don't bother!

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Not Hilton quality
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was not very comfortable. The Towels were very 2nd rate. There was very limited space for toiletries in the bathroom.

My room was very dated and old looking. This property did not live up to the Hilton brand.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Lovely always my go to
    • One-Bedroom Suite - Non-Smoking

Really enjoyed my stay..Everything was great for my Sister in law..BDay Weekend....we cooked outside and it was awesome always my go to......wish the bottom tube could have stayed open longer thru the night...

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Ban pot smoking in rooms....disappointed.

Our first room smelled of marijuana. The second room had jelly on the nightstand. The halls were narrow and musty smelling.Lobby bathrooms were out of order and the lobby was under construction. We were not informed of the construction when we booked. The neighborhood is pretty sketchy. I would like more secure parking facilities. I honestly would not stay there again.

The bed and pillows were comfortable. The soap was nice. The breakfast was better than most.

Breakfast was great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was great. Easy enough to book and pay for the room online

Awesome

Awesome

Not going back.

Elevator broken 1 day. Hot water difficult to get. Place reeked from marijuana smell.

The area
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

Picture on the website didn't match room... very disappointed

The area

Elevator location

Location amenities view quiet

Horrible

The front desk staff

Front desk check in was horrible. I requested a second or third floor room all they had was handicap room next to the elevator.

Yes the bed was extra comfy!
    • Suite with 1 King Bed and 1 Queen Bed with Water View

Yes the bed was extra comfy!!! Lovely view and peaceful.

No restaurant facilities on the weekend.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No restaurant facilities on the weekend...

Decent Breakfast
    • Waterside Queen Studio Suite

The toilets got clogged multiple times. Old property and needs maintainenance. Location of the property was not great.

Decent Breakfast

Always a great stay at Homewood!
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

We had to unload our car in front of our building and then move it down at the other end of the facility.

Staff was helpful and friendly.

not a modern hotel but family hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Customer service was not what I wanted

not a modern hotel but family hotel good food in the afternoon

I had a wonderful time!!The water view was AMAZING!!!
    • Suite with 1 King Bed and 1 Queen Bed with Water View

making sure all of the lights worked, items were plugged in (lamps werent plugged in). Some of the furniture could be updated.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Great location close to Oakland Airport

It was all good.

The breakfast staff was very accommodating & patient even though I came right at closing time. They were friendly and polite.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Dirty and smelled like smoke

Dirty and smelled like smoke

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Perfect and beautiful
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Everything was perfect thank you homewood suites

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

A 5 star hotel

The price was too high

The view, the women

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

I'm sure after construction it will be alot better
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Ice machine broken. Rooms too small.

Breakfast provided

Wonderful Stay

Great view of the water and VERY pet friendly!Staff was super nice!

Alva's customer service was great
    • King Room with View

No parking space, heating system didn't work well

Alva's customer service was great

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Overall a great stay
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Got charged twice but customer service was great

Location was excellent

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Great Stay at Homewood

Good food.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Never again
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Staff was terrible. Over priced and charged my card three times

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Nice rooms and friendly staff
    • Cityside Queen Studio Suite

Checking in and out was quick and easy. The staff was friendly. The room was nice and clean. No problems at all!

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Never again.

My rental car windows being smashed and my elderly mothers laptop being stolen.

The pool and hot tub facilities.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

NEVER AGAIN
    • Suite with 1 King Bed and 1 Queen Bed with Water View

I NEVER WAS ABLE TO CHECK IN I HAD TO GO SOME WHERE ELSE BECAUSE MY RM WAS NOT READY NONE OF THE THREE TIME I CAME TO CHECK IN.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

5.5
    Average
    • King Room with View

The lobby was being remodeled

I thought the breakfast presentation was very nice

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Wish there was a spa tub

Wish there was a spa tub

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Because of road construction I got lost multiple times...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Because of road construction I got lost multiple times finding direction to hotel but they helped me til I arrived safe

• Reviewed: 28 May 2016

I booked this for my parents while they visited me in...

Nothing really, they are upgrading some of the outside areas but that should be done soon!!

I booked this for my parents while they visited me in Oakland. The staff were amazing, the rooms were comfortable and large enough. Breakfast was good each day and the free 5pm drinks and snacks went down a treat. I'd definitely stay here again. Everyone very helpful and they even took the time to drop my parent's off at lake merritt and pick them up while I was busy one day. Excellent service.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

Mexican people of the staff make us feel like at home wich...

Very expensive compared to other áreas and not a nice área, very afar of all, not wáter in the rooms, it is really expensive and not valued fo the overall service hotel offer.

Mexican people of the staff make us feel like at home wich is good, bed was comfortable and breakfast included ok

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Breakfast was good, we had breakfast one time only due to...

The elevator was really slow. Twice when we got back to the hotel late at night ( 11:00 PM ) we could not find parking space. We had a room facing the highway and it was a little noise.

Breakfast was good, we had breakfast one time only due to catching early flight. We would certainly stay here again.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The bed wasn't the most comfortable. Also, while we were happy with the location, it is a few miles outside the city center, so if you are looking to be close to downtown, you might want to look elsewhere.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Our check-in process was very easy. Everything about the hotel was very clean and well kept. The free breakfast offered a variety of items.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2016

The location was beautiful, very convenient to Oakland...

A basketball team was there, and morning breakfast was understaffed, there was not enough food or flat wear to go around. Also I was disappointed that there was not an airport shuttle. Still, I would stay there again.

The location was beautiful, very convenient to Oakland airport, and there was a good German restaurant right next door. They have two bedroom suites available which are great for larger families.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

The room was very clean and tidy and the view of the boats...

The only thing I did not like was getting a room near the elevator, only because it dings ever time someone uses it,and I heard it a couple times throughout the night. Nothing major.

The room was very clean and tidy and the view of the boats on the water was awesome. Also, very close to many restaurants with a starbucks just a few steps away.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2016

Breakfast was satisfying.

It felt remote because there weren't many buildings nearby. It was near roadway construction. The highway divides the waterchannel property from the rest of the city.

Breakfast was satisfying. Nice walking path along waterfront. Nicely kept indoor spaces.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

I liked that the hotel was on the marina.

The women at the front desk was Not accommodating at all.. I booked my room at the homework suites Friday night planning on arriving in Oakland Saturday staying until Sunday I made it to the hotel about 11:00am, I also requested a early check in when I made my booking which has never been a issue anywhere else... After traveling through rain and traffic all I wanted to do was check in to my room and get myself and my pet settled in, however the rude older Asian woman at the front desk told me they had no rooms ready at all which seemed strange for I have stayed at many hotels and unless they were completely sold out the previous nights before which the homewood suites was not sold out neither Thursday night or Friday night so it made no sense as to why she was telling me there was absolutely no rooms available at all, then she started telling me check in is at 3pm and to come back then and even rudely turned around and pointed at a sign on the wall that said check in was at 3pm.... I ended up having to go to Emeryville to be able to check into a hotel room. The homewood suites really needs to worry about accommodating their customers instead of allowing their staff to be rude to paying customers that are attempting to stay at their establishment!

I liked that the hotel was on the marina.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2015

Breakfast was ok.

My room smelled of smoke. It was small and dated. I was charged three times for a one night stay. Nothing to eat. One delivery service which was awful. I was told it was close to the airport and it was not. I have filed a complaint with my bank and Hilton.

Breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2015

Staff was very friendly, rooms were nice and the overall...

When we arrived 12/3/2015 in the P.M. and our room was not ready; we had to wait 20-30 minutes for it to be prepared. 12/4/2015 at 4:30 A.M. awoke to the sound of water dripping from the ceiling in two locations within the room; contacted the front desk and within 20-30 minutes we were kindly assigned a suite. The early morning interruption, and having to repack and move to a suite in another building, was least to say, an inconvenience.

Staff was very friendly, rooms were nice and the overall facility was good; has a great complimentary breakfast and the location for our purposes was excellent.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2015

I didn't get receipt to declare my company.

I didn't get receipt to declare my company. I reported the stuation to booking.com customer support three weeks ago but there is no solution until now. There is a bad smell in the corridors.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2015

Nice big room with kitchen.

Couch bed wasn't very comfortable. Air conditioner was a bit noisy.

Nice big room with kitchen. Pool and fitness room great for our teen. Helpful and friendly personnel. Good breakfast. Location was good as we were driving around. Windows to marina - nice view.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2015

Nice setting by the water

Room 151 had,a distinct smell to eat....cleaning spray? The carpet just outside of the bathroom area and in front of the TV was wet/damp. Perhaps they had just cleaned the carpets. Made front desk aware of this and they indicated they would make some sort of adjustment but have not heard back from them.

Nice setting by the water

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

Easy access from freeway and staff very polite and helpful.

I should have booked the bigger rooms. The room we had was at the front of the hotel and overlooked the car park, the freeway and a freight train depot. Apart from that I would recommend this hotel

Easy access from freeway and staff very polite and helpful. A nearby German theme bar which was open at weekends served excellent food and drinks. The view at the rear of the hotel was breath taking with relaxing. The pool was small but we were the only ones in it so more tan adequate. Complimentary breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 26 September 2015

Staff was very friendly.

There were no one bedroom suites available due to renovation of another building. Was looking for that type of accommodation and instead had to stay in a studio-type room.

Staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2015

Thought location was much closer to BART and Jack London...

Thought location was much closer to BART and Jack London Square. In fact, police picked us up on our walk to the hotel from Lake Merritt BART station and advised us to take a cab or use UBER to transport around the area - very nice of them!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2015

Staff was friendly.

Location. If driving into SF, can take more than 40 mins due to long lines for Bay Bridge Toll.

Staff was friendly. Room was spacious and had kitchenette, microwave.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2015

Ome staff member was very apologetic about our room.

Gave us a queen size bed in a handicapped room facing the freeway with a loud ac unit right outside our window. We paid for a king size room facing the water. Wasnt told about any of this at check-in..

Ome staff member was very apologetic about our room...but couldn't change it.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

The staff was pleasant and professional.

The staff was pleasant and professional. Pleasantly surprised when I received a welcome call after check in. Beautiful view from the balcony of my room and very peacefu . Excellent price for a pleasing room with a view. I would highly recommend this facility to friends and family. It's definitely on my list of favorites for another stay.

There are also 24 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.