Reviews of Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown 3 stars

40 East Grand Avenue, River North, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#62 of 146 hotels in Chicago

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Can’t think of any complaints, this was another great stay at a Homewood Suites!

We were very pleased with the cleanliness and location.The staff went above and beyond to be friendly and helpful!

• One Room with King Bed and City View - Non Smoking

I don’t think it was peak season yet and the breakfast was already quite busy some mornings as well as the lift. Maybe would be a bit stressful in the peak season. Would be useful to have a kettle in the room.

Having kitchen facilities (microwave, stove top, toaster, fridge, coffee maker, basic utensils and pans), main breakfast was varied every day so didn’t become too boring (eggs bacon and potatoes, eggs sausage biscuits and gravy for example), housekeeping was good - we tried to keep on top of washing up etc but on couple of days where we were going to do it later or left a pan to soak they took care of it, heated pool meant we could swim even though the weather some days was chilly. Good location for non-drivers: lots of restaurants and easy to get to bus/metro stops.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was not cleaned properly and my 3 year old son found a pill on the floor so they upgraded us to a different room the upgrade was 3 bags of chips and 2 snapples

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was mediocre selection of breakfast sausage eggs or waffles. I feel as though it should be a huge breakfast selection maybe even an omelet station for almost $200 per night. I also think that there should be unlimited access to the pool area and exercise room considering you're paying almost $200 per night. Bedding should also be Supreme for the price per night. The bedding was very mediocre and should be updated. Parking was a big pain! If the guests are staying in the hotel parking per night should not exceed $20 that's ridiculous that parking was almost $100 per night

I really enjoyed the location of the hotel it was surrounded by activities within walking distance!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Unavoidable because things break... When we arrived there was a line out the door for the one working elevator. Second elevator was broken. Staff finally directed us to the service elevator, which helped. By the second day, both elevators were working.

Terrific location! It was great to have a mini apartment where 3 of us had space to sit or move around. The full kitchen was a plus, and we had a spectacular view, which we really appreciated!

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

One Elevator kept going down and the hotel was booked out. So at time it took a REALLY long time to get an elevator. Valet was $65 per day which was excessive in my opinion.

The location was great! Staff was super helpful, breakfast each morning was delicious. Room was really spacious for Chicago!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Just check in - no luggage carts, and waited over 2 hours in lobby for room. No water. Fruit, food. Or anything was offered. However they took care of me while we were there and apologized. And that's the Hilton standard I know n love!

Everything besides the chk in process was EXECELLENT!!

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The crowded area. Needed better oatmeal maybe steal cut would be better.

The coffee was good but the area was too crowded my first morning so I was only able to have coffee.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Would have preferred a more thorough clean of our room. However when we did ask for it, the cleaner came and did a better job.

Catered very well for families. Our boys enjoyed the swimming pool and helping themselves to breakfast!

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast could have vegetable option as well. No balcony:(

Perfect location, walking distance to most of the sightseeing places (Navy Pier, Beaches, Willis Tower...) Fitness center and pool was really convenient. In the morning very easy access to the beaches by Navy Pier to go for run. Excellent idea about "Evening Social" complimentary light buffet and wine / beer. Very business orientated hotel (printer, shredder, computer access in the lobby) but also nice city-break for the couples

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

A couple more elevators would be good, however this is a minor annoyance in an otherwise great hotel.

The location is unbeatable for downtown activities. The suites are spacious and comfortable and the breakfast is a great feature.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The service at the Homewood Suites was impeccable. The breakfasts were beyond substantial, with a variety of different options at the buffet each day. There are healthy options like yoghurt and fruit and oatmeal as well as cooked options. There is no need to eat breakfast out of the hotel! The evening social was also fantastic with snacks, wine and beer available. Jeremy who served us was very helpful and friendly. What was really outstanding was the view from the hotel reception/breakfast area and the view from the gym and pool on the 19th floor was even better! Michael at reception was also really helpful and friendly. The location is perfect, about 5 mins from all the big stores, 10 mins to the river to catch a cruise, 20 mins to Millenium Park and the Bean. Also Eataly is located right next door and is a fabulous spot for food any time of the day. Would 100% stay again when I'm in Chicago.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The price dropped the day after I could no longer cancel and re-book. I could have saved 100$...but I love this hotel so we made reservations in advance!

Location,breakfast.....valet guys are great! Room has 2 tv’s.....so I don’t have to share with kids.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Desk personnel seemed a little lost at times.

The breakfast was always wonderful, the get together dinner was a big help to us although we only ate there 2 times. When you're so tired you can't go out, it's a lifesaver! The overall value was great. It's close to the subway and bus, this was important to us.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

We’ve stayed at Homewood Suites in the past and thought we would give this River North location a try. So glad we did!! Amazing location, recently redone so everything is fresh. We got an upgrade with my husband’s status, so we had a 1 bedroom suite. Nice sized kitchenette, great breakfast and I understand the evening (happy hour/dinner) is great. Ideal for a budget conscious family wanting to stay “downtown”

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

Nice accomodation, good location near the centre, nice view, pleasure staff-Especially thanks from Czech to Jeromme- his smile and villigness wellcomed us every mornings and every evenings.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The beds were terribly uncomfortable The food wasnt very good. Breakfast food was the same everyday even though I was told.it would be different each day.

It was clean. Staff was helpful.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

A crack in the ceiling above the shower. Outlet cover didn't cover up the hole. Caulking in one of the corners was gone leaving a gap.

Views were nice

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Elevator issues and timing of housekeeping.

Location is perfect. Breakfast and social hour are perfect. Room was perfect. Best hotel value I've found anywhere.

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

There was no pull out sofa in our "suite". The king deluxe suite was one large room not a suite as you would find in other hotels

Location is perfect. Pool is nice and breakfast was good

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The sofa bed for the kids were not comfortable, the mattress were pretty thin. Also our toilet seat did not fit the toilet correctly. It was smaller than the toilet by 1-2", this made it look cheap. I expected better from Hilton since this is a very easy change and does not cost much.

The location and social happy hour were a plus! We were close to everything, within 10-20 minutes walk to everywhere. The social happy hour had lots of choices, that we did not expect at all. Social event were only for Monday-Thursday, this made the value of the hotel a big plus.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

While the pool was great, great views from the pool area, etc, all my children ended up with rashes from the amount of chlorine used in the pool.

The breakfasts and afternoon snacks were great! The hotel really provided well for their guests. Great value and great location!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking/Disability Access

Breakfast was not the best. No fruit available 24/7. They lock it up. Would have been nice for a fruit to just sit out

Great location. Nice size room. Loved the evening social. I had an accessible room, but no shower stool

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast and the evening reception food was awesome. I travel a lot and I'd have to say this hotel had the best options, quality and experience of any hotel I've ever stayed at. Every single person on the staff that we encountered was so incredibly nice and helpful. I actually stopped to tell the front desk folks how wonderful the staff was as I left for home. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Chicago.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

When the pool is down, is there a way we can get to another hotel pool without having to go outside?

The bed and view were really awesome! We loved being on the 13th floor, and everything was extremely cleanly! The full kitchen was something we’ve never experienced before and it was fantastic!! Loved the real dishes that were in the room.

• One Room with King Bed and City View - Non Smoking

I didn’t like the fact I called twice to inquire about the pool before booking through third party before reservation which I was told both times that the pool would be able for my stay (why I booked the room for that price) to arrive with the pool not open.

The location was the only bonus.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

When we checked in we were told the pool was down (one of the reasons I picked this motel) also told valet wad in with the price.... then charged almost 200.00 more on final bill.... which I received over draft charges for

The valet help

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

The breakfast choices everyday was horrible. Definitely can offer a better option every day.

The view of the city was amazing from my room. The location of the hotel was great!

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Suite was clean and fixtures were up to date. Housekeeping staff and breakfast staff where friendly, polite and helpful. Parking ramp was convenient. (Self parking is less expensive than valet)

• One Bedroom - King Suite with Corner City View - Non Smoking

For the price a very good centrally located hotel. Enjoyed that they are suites so you get a bit more space, and breakfast included is a bonus. WiFi is only free if you book through Hilton direct

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The photos are very deceiving! The suites are quite small. The pool and exercise room are half the size u expect. Our pull out couch had yellow stains and we had to call for sheets. Pillows had hairs on them....yuck!

It was close to Hubbard St. night life! It was convenient for sure! The kitchen and bathroom were very clean.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like how the breakfast and lunch ended early. Earlier than it was supposed to according to the time.

I like how convenient it was to shopping stores.

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

My reservation was canceled with out me doing so then they charged me more then i was supposed to pay I've never been to a hotel that u have to pay so much for parking

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

My son’s 13 & 15 used the pull out couch and the mattress was horrible. You could feel every spring in the mattress. The second night we said something and they gave us a memory foam topper. We should of said something sooner.

The room was awesome. The kids loved looking out of the windows and seeing the skyline of Chicago.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

I've stay at this hotel many of times. my most recent visit was the worst. The staff was very demanding. They charged me extra fees for my room. I had to speak with a manager just so we both could fix my bill. I was charged an late check-out fee when we left the room before 12pm.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Something in the room showing rates for phone calls as we had a 17 dollar bill added that we were not expecting.

All the staff from the doorman to the front desk to the kitchen staff to the cleaning service was fantastic. Very friendly and answered all questions.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was quite cold by the windows as the weather was very cold, this was particularly bad at night.

Location was excellent and the room was quiet and clean.

• One Room with King Bed and City View - Non Smoking

-Although it was christmas day and most people were leaving the hotel, we were refused a late check out -The breakfast is one of the worst I’ve seen -The pillows are extremely small and soft -The bed wasn’t as clean as one expects it to be

-Good location -Nice view from the room -Although we didn’t have the time to use, it the pool seemed very nice on the top floor -Coffee and tea making facilities -Good kitchen utensiles -Spacious enough for 3 people

• One Bedroom - King Suite with Corner City View - Non Smoking

Valet parking overnight was expensive.

The hotel was great, our corner city view suite was everything we wanted for our trip to Chicago. It was clean, and roomy, the kitchen offered everything we needed. The view was fantastic, breakfast was very good with a wide selection of items. Dinner was even offered the two nights we were there. Staff was friendly, valet parking was easy with in and out privileges.

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

The bed sheets and covers could have been larger to fit our king bed more easily and the sink wasn’t entirely clean (very minor details)

Great buffet breakfast and social drinks with food in the evening which were both complimentary. The price we got for our stay was amazing compared to our other hotels in other destinations of the USA and Canada and it had just as much, probably more value for money. The room was spacious with a kitchenette which we didn’t need to use in the end. Air conditioning was easy to control compared to other hotel rooms and we found the hotel was a very good location with walking distance to all the attractions we visited.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Valet Parking refused to park our vehicle in the same garage we parked in. Room smelled like dead bodies and no one did anything but get is air freshener. Breakfast was rough, out a lot and half done or over done. When I told the general manager I was still there after my first night, she said oh well it says checked out but didn’t offer solutions or help. Pool had band aids floating in it and wasn’t clean. Employees, same 15 tops ,all working 12+ hrs and not being able to handle the load of patrons.

Adriana Jeremy Housekeeping lady was super kind, not thorough but kind.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The valet parking was confusing upon arrival as they do not come to your car (you have to leave your car running down the sidewalk and go in and leave your keys at desk) and took forever to get our car when requesting it. We gave up on valet and did self park across the street.

The staff was so friendly and treated the kids very well going out of their way to make kids feel welcome!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

No hot tub in the pool area.

All the staff at breakfast & the manager’s evening reception went above & beyond to make us feel welcomed. They were very high energy & kept food & beverage replenished extremely promptly. The check in and check out staff also made us feel very welcomed & valued as guests!

I did not expect the hotel like this it looks tome different the the others home wood hotels

At the reception the was there he did not know how to use the master card he used my master card twice and my ATM card also

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

> everything perfect ... only the fitness center and the breakfast is comparable small, however this has not influenced the great feeling we had

> very nice suites with everything in it (sofa+2 TV) > incredible view on downtown > indoor pool on 19th (unique) + small fitness center > location location location!!! best district in the greatest city in the world

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Nothing, I was impressed by everyone's willingness to help.

Our daughter flew in early Friday and thanks to Jason and amber rose she was able to check in early after a long overnight flight.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking/Disability Access

Husband didn't quite like the breakfast - thought it was a bit bland.

I love staying here with our grandchildren. They love swimming in the pool and looking out the large windows at the city. My husband and I slept like a rock - the beds were extremely comfortable.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Staff were friendly and helpful, and sold me a microwaveable meal well after usual dinner time. The interior design feels dated, but the combination of excellent location, serviceable pool and fitness centre, generous breakfast and functional kitchen provided maximum comfort and flexibility.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Wifi kept booting me off. Once I signed on I shouldn't have had to keep doing it every time I used it. When I was connected it worked well. Breakfast was a little disappointing. Eggs weren't real. Would have been nice to have additional meat options like turkey bacon. Oatmeal very runny. No gluten free options. Bananas weren't ripe.

The bed was very comfortable! The pillows too! Nice to have a kitchen. We didn't use it much, but would have had we stayed longer. Location was ideal.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was good. The suites were a bonus. The place was immaculate, even the stairwells! I it was very useful to be able to store our luggage until our rooms were ready upon our early arrival.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

We couldn't fill our own ice bucket in the room and had to call the front desk twice to bring up ice. Also, paying for the room was an absolute nightmare. My friend arrived to check in before I did, and even though I had added her as an authorized person to check in, the hotel insisted that she had to pay for the room. Apparently when I booked the room my credit card number was kept on file, but it could not be authorized by my friend to check in. This was not explained to me when I called well before check-in to make sure my friend wouldn't have to pay for the room, I was told it was completely paid for before our arrival. Very misleading and it caused a lot of headache.

My king suite had kitchen dishes which was a plus, and the bed really was super comfy! Down pillows always make a stay better.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was good, beds were comfortable, couch was not comfortable. Kitchen was big, too bad most of it was unused space. Everything was clean!!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

This hotel was in an amazing location. Easy to walk to everything. Also, very kid friendly which was great for our 2 year old. Would stay here again anytime we are back in Chicago. Can't beat the price, the amenities and the location!!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The location is great! The apartment is big and cozy , and special thanks to the guys at the entrance - the concierge - they were extra polite and helpful - especially the young boy which spoke Russian language.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

If there are not enough amenities for travelers like us used to traveling in Asian countries which hotels provides one time use tooth brush, tooth paste, comb, slippers, etc.

The breakfast staffs are exceptionaly excellent. They worked very hard to clean up tables and counters.

• One Bedroom - King Suite with Corner City View - Non Smoking

You are right in the centre of things, so it is noisy, particularly with the fire station around the corner. Don't be put off by the dingy ground floor entrance - the rest of the hotel is much more inviting!

Rooms were lovely - bright and fresh with good space. The properly stocked kitchenette was useful. The location was great with restaurants, shopping, attractions and transport all within easy reach. Highly recommended

More free movie options

The suite was updated and modern. There was more space than your usual hotel room, we were able to relax before and after dinner and activities. The noon check out time was also convenient as we had time to go out after breakfast and still have time to gather out things and check out. The hotel location was prime, the room had excellent views after putting a special request in advance. The beds were super comfortable and everything was clean. We enjoyed the beautiful view at night and the sunny view in the morning. Thank you!

• One Room with King Bed and City View - Non Smoking

I didn't have free wifi so I don't know what happened but it wasn't a big deal to us. When I booked direct through the hotel I did have wifi and it was a good signal. We had a problem with the valet parking but the hotel credited us.

I have stayed at the hotel many times. It's clean. The king bed was comfy. It's close to the action of Michigan ave/ magnificent mile. During the week they have happy hour which is awesome. Breakfast was ok. The pool and the hours are great for kids. Great views at the pool and from our room.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

I thought this hotel was an excellent value for the location. We were one block from Eatly and two blocks from our parking garage. I will definitely stay here again.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

I didn’t want to leave.☺️ It was all good.

That place is awesome. Staff was helpful, I was near the grocery store, so I could walk and get supplies. This property is my go to place when I come to town. They even accommodated my early check in. I am very pleased.Breakfast was great! Social hour was wonderful.

• Deluxe King Studio Suite with City View - Non-Smoking

The suits are air heated with a pretty loud ventilator, therefore for the light-sleepers I would recommend having earplugs.

Excellent facilities, perfect location, friendly and helpful staff.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We traveled there with 4 of our children and were impressed each day with how welcome we felt. The rooms were very large for such a convenient location, everything was clean and modern, the hotel staff, breakfast staff, and lobby staff were all so welcoming and helpful.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Everything was up to expectations (what's more.... I was delighted)

Great property if you are planning to stay in Chicago for a few days. Extremely devoted staff. WI-FI is complementary with regular speeds and the room has astonishing views. I reserved a double room suite and there was nothing I missed. I had free breakfast and dinner, housekeeping department was busy every day making sure my stay was comfortable. I found the location and price to be extraordinary. Only a walking distance to great landmarks, shopping malls, attractions and restaurants.

Nothing. Everything great!

Breakfast was great. Crispy bacon, fluffy eggs, tasty sausage and potatoes. Served in warmers but perfect to start eating right away.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Bathroom is so large and spacious, they should have a small cabinet/table for storing toiletries Coffee in the rooms wasn't very good, but the coffee in the dinning area made up for it.

The friendliest service I have ever had at a hotel. Including Front door staff, front desk, dining room, and cleaning staff. Michael at the front desk got us off to a great start! Rooms were very clean, spacious, and comfortable. Breakfast was fresh, good variety Had problems with the fridge, but they were prompt in resolving Would definitely stay here again.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The hide-a-bed was not comfortable.

The service we experienced was exemplary from our check-in onward. The breakfasts were wonderful from the variety of what was available to eat, through to the freshness of the food. The staff was courteous, friendly, and attentive. We were also pleasantly surprised to discover there was a light dinner provided on Monday through Thursday. We found this a wonderful addition to our stay.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The couch bed was uncomfortable. Could not properly regulate the airconditioning. The maid insisted on coming into the room, even when my husband told her it was not convenient and I was not fully dressed! Chairs at breakfast too low for the tables!

Swimming pool was excellent!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

Bed comfy and big, spacious clean room and bath, nice toiletries, extrememrly friendly and helpful staff, no check in lines, convenience items available for sale near front desk

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

My family was harassed by the breakfast staff for not wearing shoes to breakfast. There weren’t any signs saying that you had to wear shoes and considering there was only one elevator to get to the floor we’re breakfast was being served which took over 20mins to get to our floor we didn’t have time to go back and get shoes to eat.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

They didnt clean our room until 3 or 4 everyday. I repeatedly had to ask for more towels as our family of five stayed there and she only ever left 3 towels each day.

• One Bedroom - King Suite with Corner City View - Non Smoking

The nightly rate was very high for a Homewood Suite.

Love that the hotel offer complimentary beverages and hot food in the early evenings so if you have had a long day at work or the weather is not great and you don't want to venture out - you can get some refreshment laid on. I had the Asian food and it was delicious. The room I had was huge and very well equipped.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Very strange payment policy!! At check-in my credit card was authorized for the room rate - which is usual and no problem. But during our stay (7 nights) one part of the room rate was booked from the credit card inbetween and additional $ 1.000,-- (!) security deposit (in case something would destroy in the suite). But the authorized amount wasn't released. and so my credit card was completly blocked! It was quite annoying to clarify was happened. First I was told that this depends on booking.com - but I knew that this was nonsence! I had to call my bank in Europe which accused an expensive phone call. I was told that the authorized amount and the booking of the room rate is the reason why my limit was utilized . So I had to discuss again with the hotel why they don't release the authorization in case of booking. I asked also why they do inbetween bookings - usually you pay at the end of the stay - that is also the reason why an amount is authorized. I was told some people prefer this kind of payment. But then they should inform or ask the customers how the payment will/should be done. I never had this troubles in a hotel in the USA before. Thx to Michael who send a fax to my bank to release the authorized amout. Otherwise I would have had troubles during my further stay in NYC. This is the only reason why I would think it over to book Homewood Suites by Hilton again.

Very pleasant stay, from the hotel you can reach most locations (Magnificent Mile, Riverwalk, Navy Pier, Hankock Tower, Willis Tower etc.) by foot or short subway trip easily. The suite was very clean, bed very cosy and housekeeping perfect - no complaints. Breakfast is good, you get everything - even fresh fruits. The only thing which I didn't like was that scrambled eggs were served every day (I personally don't like this style of eggs very much). It would be nice, if "sunny side up" or "easy over" could be ordered as well. No plactic plates or plastic cutlery! From Mon-Thur a complementary diner incl. drinks is offered. We tried it once (Mediterrian food) and it was quite nice. But we prefered to visit one of the very nice restaurants and bars in the near neighbourhood (Rock Bottom, Weber Grill, P.F. Chang, etc.) The pool is nice and relaxing after a long day of sightseeing and enough towels are available.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The black lady on the night shift is really unfriendly. She laughed at my friend because she didn't speak English well. WT...

Nice location to anywhere. Transportation is really good.

• King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

Reception staff unfriendly and they are not cooperative even they could not deal with the credit card issues. When I asked them to extend my stay due to change of my plan they started to cheat me saying they do not have empty rooms although I knew from the other staff they have a lot of empty rooms , at the end they gave me the same room with more expensive rate !!! It was shame on them to play such a game.

Location, cleanliness

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Non-Smoking

The doormen could have been more helpful. Even though they saw us with a lot of shopping bags, they did not offer help. I even had to borrow the baggage cart and push it all the way to our room. 😒

The people that we met there like Guillermo and Vhince at the breakfast area were very accommodating. Requests were promptly addressed and they were very helpful and courteous! The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. All the amenities of home were complete. The location was great!