Reviews of HI Chicago Hostel 3 stars

24 East Congress Parkway, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60605, USA

#50 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Based on 4863 hostel reviews

Great place, location, amenities. I feel the key situation was a bit overload.
    • One Room female (10)

I understand that it's for my safety but I hate how you have to have a key to get into anything. Like you even have to have a key to use the elevator after you've already entered the building where you need a key in order to get in. And than you have to have a key in order to get in to the different floors if you're using the stairs.

I liked the location. The amenities are bar the best I've ever seen in a hotel or hostel. The rooms are also big.

Value for money, economical facility
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

The shared space even though it was my decision to share a room with others It gets uncomfortable when your original roommates check out and other people check in New faces almost everyday who may not be friendly and willing to mingle

I liked the free WiFi access The breakfast was just a cherry on top, simple and decent Helpful and friendly staff Hostel suits all age groups

Neat Hostel in Chicago
    • One Room female (10)

This hostel was one of the cleanest I have stayed at, I loved the feel of the artwork, and it was definitely family friendly!! They truly try to go green! The location could have been closer to some of the big stuff, but for the price you can’t beat the location!! That staff was really nice, they did what they could to answer all my questions, and they have volunteers doing free walking tours!! 👍🏻👍🏻

I really liked the staff and the room with 8 females... I loved the air conditioner!!!
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

There's nothing I did not like!!!

I love the location here, quite close to Grant Park and all the attractions... I would come back to this place!!! Really Enjoyed My Stay!!!

Great value! This is the second time I'm staying here and will be coming back.
    • Private Room

The breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. However, there's a great Cuban place next door + many other food options in the area.

Very helpful and accommodating staff. Close proximity to many tourist spots and Lake Michigan. Clean and comfortable. Great value! My first choice every time I come to Chicago.

A nice hostel
    • One Room female (10)

I struggled with the top bunk. In general, top bunks have a lateral protection to prevent one of falling off the bed. The problem is that all the bunks in my room didn't have that usual gap in the protection where the ladder meets the bed, basically you needed to jump over the lateral protection to get to the bed. My roommates complaided about the same and the bruises we got in that process. Laundry room may be an issue too. All the machines accept just quarters. If you have just bills, you can use the change machine... ops, it was broken when I was there. If you are lucky, maybe the front desk will change it, or not. Guys, please, fix the change machine. Nobody normal walks around with a bag of quarters.

The hostel is quite big and very well located (near subway and a walk distance from some cool touristic points). The room I stayed was so big you could dance a valse there. Breakfast is served in the second floor, where there is a big lounge, very cozy. The breakfast is included in the price and I must say it was the best one I have had in a hostel so far. The staff will help whenever is possible (front desk can get a little crowded after 4 p.m. and on, so go earlier if you have questions). I would definitely stay there again.

Location and Staff are really nice.
    • One Room female (10)

The bathroom is fewer than the guests. Breakfast was not bad. (An oven doesn't work well).

This place was good. The staffs was really cool! It is close to Art institute of Chicago, Cloud gate and the loop.

Perfect location in the center of Chicago, with very good...
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The fan in the room was working all the time, which gave a feeling of sleeping in a windy place. I talked with the staff and it was not possible to turn it off.

Perfect location in the center of Chicago, with very good connection with O Hare airport. Free breakfast and luggage storage. Clean, renovated room and clean bathroom shared just for 4 rooms.. Friendly staff.

Location and free breakfast.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

Bed was squeaky. Couldn’t move without it being extremely loud. Also I got there at like 3:57 and was told to come back at 4 to check in????? Then when I came back at 4 they made it seem like an inconvenience when they could have just let me in 3 minutes early.

Location and free breakfast.

Will not stay again and will advise friends to avoid.
    • One Room male (10)

That the photos and reality was way of. They were from the time the built the place. The madrases were 15 cm shorter than the bed. First time in my life I have seen that.

If you like dirty and smelling places then this is for you!

Awesome location, great cost benefit.
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Premium Female Room with 4 beds has 2 rooms per suite and only one shared showers and bathroom. I.e. 8 people per 1 shower.

Free breakfast, amenities, friendly staff. Great location, right in the Loop, however if you are not used to sleeping hearing the train passing occasionally, please reconsider booking.

Nice location, great value for young travellers.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

It is a little difficult to get down from the upper bunk because the screws on the plank have been loose. The blanket is worn-out.

Free breakfast and the convenient location.

For my first hostel stay, it was not bad at all.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

There is this weird smell in the elevator that smells like a mixture of body odor and pee that made me nauseous. It was there the day I got them and the next day, but it was bad.

I really liked the location of the hotel, there were parking lots close by. I paid 35$ for 24hr parking. The staff was nice. It was my first time ever staying in a hostel and I was kind of nervous about the security and everything of it. With this one you need your key card to go up in the elevator, however I did see stairs also leading up and was not sure if eventually you would reach a door where you needed your key card or not. My dorm was an all female dorm and there were little safes inside the room. The shower and bathroom were both clean. The breakfast was simple but it was good. There were pool tables, and message boards. I would stay here again.

great place to stay
    • Private Room

the showers (in the suite and the extra one in the hallway) were not clean. the shower curtain had mold on it and the floor was grimey. bring shower shoes if possible. also, they had a creamer machine for coffee but it was empty while i was there. i don't like using milk so that was disappointing.

very big space and in a great location. the private room in the shared suite was very quiet. bunk bed style in the room but comfy enough. they had an iron for clothes which came in handy. there is a shared kitchenette, living room, and bathroom/shower in the suite. good wifi throughout hostel. AC was great for the hot humid weekend we were there. the second floor was awesome; had big kitchen and dining area, pool tables, computer room, and lounge with TV. one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

Everything !
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

Everything ! People are Nice, good breakfast, clean, 15minutes walk away from millenium park and Willis tower, 30minutes walk away from the pier. Easy to use the train super close. Perfect!

Great location! Great common area!
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The elevators smelt REALLY bad. We were in a private with shared facilities. Strangely although there was a kitchen there was nothing available to cook with or anything like bowls, plates, glasses. The main kitchen seemed well stocked.

Perfect location, fantastic common area with Large TV, ping pong table, pool tables and generally nice atmosphere. The bed was comfy but a little on the small side for a double.

Fantastic stay, great way of meeting new people and totally safe!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Location is everything. The room is huge and relatively quiet. Bed is super nice, nice and clean linen and towel. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this Hostel. I even already booked here for my next stay in Chicago again!

Best hostel in Chicago for that price
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

The rooms could have had more privacy, for example curtains for each bed if you don't want to see or bee seen by anyone

Friendly staff, excellent location, good activities provided by the hostel, very clean

The best place which I can choose in Chicago.
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

The best place which I can choose in Chicago. Perfect location, comfort and beautiful staff... I will come again for sure and recommend this place as the best place for staying in Chicago!!!! See you soon again... 😁😁😁

Really friendly staff, amazing breakfast, huge rooms,...
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Really friendly staff, amazing breakfast, huge rooms, comfortable beds, lots of room in shower rooms to get dry and dressed in private, great activities on offer, perfect location, lots of hang out space, nice and quiet in dorm rooms!

Very cost-effective
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Breakfast is kind of limited.

This was the most cost-effective experience I have ever had! Very clean and well located. Safe and useful facilities. The staff is the nicest.

Lovely staff, terrific lounge area to watch telly and chill out
    • One Room female (10)

Beds were creaky, which as a lighter sleeper made it a little difficult to get to sleep but otherwise very comfy.

Staff were lovely, and the lounge was great for watching the world cup.

The best hostel!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

One of the best hostels that I have ever stayed!!! Room was huge, with private living room, kitchen and bathroom. Good localization, lovaly staffs, best breakfast ever (different breads, cream cheese, butter, jelly, coffee, tea, juice, muffins). I could let my luggage there after my checkout. I really loved it!

Hi Chicago is amazing!
    • One Room female (10)

Hi Chicago is amazing!! Big rooms, everything very clean, good breakfast, excellent staff and amazing location. Right next to the Grand Park, train stations and store.

There is a kitchen, the bed is comfortable, the location is...
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

I think the floor in the restroom is not so clean.

There is a kitchen, the bed is comfortable, the location is really great! If I visit Chicago again, I would definitely stay here!

Location of the property is amazing!
    • One Room female (10)

Location of the property is amazing! We were little early than usual check in time but staff helped to keep the luggage etc. I would definitely recommend this place. Most of the ‘must see locations’ are within walking distance. Also the view from the room was great. The overall experience was great

Except for the slow drain sinks in our room, everything else is excellent!
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The water pressure in room 709 is low, sinks are clogged. Please put up a note that guests should wipe the sinks after they shave, what not

Decor, location, high ceiling, international guests, good services

Perfect for any traveller.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Male

This was my first stay in a hostel. Very clean rooms and bathroom. You can find anything you need for your stay. The staff is very young and very nice, ready to help with everything. Also the fact that they sell tickets for the local attractions with a reduced fare and organize tours of the city is amazing.

Location is unbeatable!
    • One Room female (10)

The location of this hostel is so fantastic! The wifi is great and the rooms are very spacious. They have free events organised all the time which are a great way to meet new people and see the city. I would highly recommend doing the walking tours!

Staff was very friendly and helpful, I also attended the...
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

There was no closet in my room (i had a private suite), which was pretty annoying as there was only a chair and a tiny bedside cabinet to put some of my belongings. The canteen was dirty all the time during breakfast and the choice is minimum (no vegetables, only different types of carbs - cornflakes, granola, muffins or toast bread)

Staff was very friendly and helpful, I also attended the downtown walking tour, which was very interesting. Location of the hostel is great.

Disgusting
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

They don´t clean the rooms every day, the mattress was so old, I hurt my back.

I don´t wanna back! The beds are old and the room was dirty, even with me complain, they didn´t clean the rooms every day.

One of the better hostels I have been to.
    • One Room male (10)

Room was a bit cold - generally good when you’re sharing a room with 9 other guys, but you need to dress accordingly.

One of the better hostels I have been to.

Worth in Chicago
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

I didn't expect the spotless place. But, there was an apple under my bed which I didn't buy it. It was not that pleasant.

Location was perfect!! If you want, you can walk all the way. It takes about 40mins to the end of Magnificent Road.

Will stay again!
    • One Room female (10)

The location = perfect. The staff = amazing! 10 bed female dorm= really spacious with a comfy bed. The bathrooms= spacious and clean. The breakfast = sufficient.

Superb. Will use the hostel again.
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

You have to use a door key for almost every thing from entering the hostel to starting the elevator and getting into your room. it took a number of tries for the key to work. Small inconvenience.

Its location and overall facilities were super for a hostel. the staff was very friendly and guided me.

Although advertised as a hostel, this place had a quality of...
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Deluxe King Bedroom

There is a train outside, but it really wasn't too loud.

Although advertised as a hostel, this place had a quality of a nice hotel. It was very clean, quiet, and easy. Great location within walking distance of so many Chicago sights, and such a value. You would be hard pressed to find anything at this price and this location and it was worth it!

Best location!
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Male

Best location ever. I could do everything by bus, subway or even in a walking distance. I knew HI Hostel from San Francisco and the one in Chicago is just as perfect. Defenitely recommend it.

Good, clean, good location, easy access to Metro and close to eatteries.
    • Private Room

We were charged extra for non member. It was never mentioned in Bookings.com Our unit were supposed to be inside a 4 room unit with shared facilities. The door was opened so that everyone else could use the facilities.

Clean and good wifi

All in all, my stay achieved it's goal.
    • One Room male (10)

The only thing that I didn't like, was how close the elevated train is to the hostel. Had I researched the location better, I probably would've picked a different place. And, I do question why padlocks are sold out of a vending machine on the fourth floor, instead of at the front desk.

Respect for each other, was greatly appreciated, and unexpected.

Great location, friendly staff, a lot of events, which you...
    • One Room male (10)

You have to bring your own lock in order to lock up your items in a locker, so think about it in advance.

Great location, friendly staff, a lot of events, which you can take part in, free breakfast, enormous premises (several storeys), lounge room with billiards table and huge flat screen TV, your own card with magnetic stripe to open doors with.

Everything, the staff was amazing an very informative of the...

I loved everything

Everything, the staff was amazing an very informative of the area an knew what was good for me to visit an how to get there with very clear instructions.

I would definitely come back for my next Chicago trip!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

The four bed dorm is a *little* misleading. There were two four-bed dorms in a suite which had its own bathroom (just keep that in mind that up to eight people could be sharing a bathroom). Not an issue as each floor has its own common bathrooms/showers, in case the ensuite bathroom is occupied. A lot of the washers/dryers were frequently out of order, and one day, someone decided to leave their clothes in the only working washer (of four) for well over an hour after their load was done (I don't know how laundromats work outside the US, but that's a big no-no, regardless of how many machines are working).

Comfortable beds, helpful front desk staff (one issued a refund when the coin laundry ate my money), convenient location to many transit lines and buses (nearest being LaSalle on the blue line, which runs all day), decent food offerings for breakfast, lots of hostel activities & city tours, discounted tickets at the front desk to some tourist attractions (I took advantage of the SkyDeck and 360 Chicago--the former during the day and the latter at night).

I would definitely stay there again.
    • One Room male (10)

The ladder to the top bunk was sturdy, but it was hard to maneuver from the bed to the ladder and vice versa (but, then again, are they ever?). Overall, the continental breakfast was ho-hum; coffee really weak.

Staff was welcoming and professional. There was also a sense of diversity about the place - a nice plus. It seemed very well run - not always the case with hostels.

Amazing :)
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The AC controler is located in the other apartment room - room 2 and i stayed in the room 1, but we fixed the room temperature it and everything went great!!!

The private bathroom

Great!
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The only thing i can come up with is that my keycard wasnt working great at first.. but when i said this at the desk they fixed it immediately ! Great!

Laundromat on every floor!! Location! Clean rooms.. waste removal every day. Friendly staff. Friendly guests. Fun environment!

This is an excellent hostel.
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

This is an excellent hostel. The staff were great. The room was pretty quiet even though the el ran past just outside, and there was good air conditioning to keep it cool on a very hot day. The shared bathrooms were clean and everything worked well. There was also a really good breakfast included which started at 7am.

Good hostel with good location
    • Private Room

In my room was there not an outlet for the top bunk, and the shared bathroom lock didn’t quite work

The staff is so nice, and the beds are quite comfortable.

A good choice if you need to stay close to downtown!
    • Private Room

Wifi was slow. Maybe there were just too many people using it. The private space was pretty limited, but the public area was large.

The breakfast was good, and the location was exactly where travellers can hang out on the Michigan Ave. without taking a metro.

Good for a short trip to Chicago. It's a large hostel. Decent breakfast.
    • Private Room

Key cards were inconsistent, too much. The common areas were never cleaned, didn't see anyone cleaning ever. Could use more toilets and showers.

Comfy beds, very quiet respectful place. Large facilities and very secure. Decent breakfast. Sound insulation for train noises were very good considering proximity to tracks. Laundry was handy.

Do not stay at this location it is not clean at all!
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

They could have cleaned the room.

There was a used condom in the garbage. There was an old orange under the bed. The guy at the desk did nothing about it.

Overall, a great value for money place to stay in Chicago
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

While booking online, an option to choose a lower or an upper bed in a dorm room as per availability would be nice. But again, that's nitpicking.

Excellent location. Clean and well maintained rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Decent breakfast. Lots of group activities to take part in.

Good location and good hostel
    • Private Room

The rooms were a bit small and a warm (no watch To regulate temperature), besides that all was great

The location was good. The staff was nice. Breakfast was regular (American style, very sweat, no eggs). The location is great since it is really close to main attraction. The hostel was clean.

This place is worth your money!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

I love how spacious the place was and the complimentary breakfast that was provided!! It was a good hostel experience! I got the chance to talk to another traveller and we shared about our travel plans. I would recommend this place to my friends!

Disgusting

Dirt

It was the worst hostel in cleanliness and activities I have ever stayed in! The bed that had to stay was dirty and even with me asking to clean it was not clean. After the third complaint the receptionist changed the bedding. The floor was not cleaned during the two periods of stay I had, a disgust!

Great location and lovely breakfast!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

The kitchen staff was a little bit grumpy but I guess it was quite early in the morning.

The breakfast was plentiful - a wide selection of pastries, breakfast food (muesli, cornflakes etc), fruits and drinks. A lot of room to sit and good views of the street. The rooms were airy and the lockable cupboards big enough for my carry-on suitcase.

Although the bunk beds are not really convenient for people...
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

One towel per person is not enough. If you don’t like sleeping in street noise than this place is not for you

Although the bunk beds are not really convenient for people sleeping on them they are actually comfortable. They hostel provides things like soap and towel so even if you forget it it’s not a big deal

Great value for location and accommodations-perfect for travelling on the cheap or alone in Chicago!
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Check in doesn't start until 4 PM each day. I was able to leave my bags locked up and use a bathroom however.

Rooms were clean and secure. Hostel was in a great location and easily accessible by the CTA trains. Staff was friendly. Perfect for a single traveler!

• One Room female (10)

The cleanest hostel I've ever been in. Room was big, so all the 10 people in the room had enough own place. Overall wonderful hostel, location great and clean place to stay with good staff.

Overall I felt it was way too expensive for what I got.
    • Co-ed Suite, Private Bedroom

The ventilation in the room is pretty awful. I had it directly in my face through the night, so I couldn't sleep and had a headache in the morning. It was not possible to turn it off. The bathroom could have been cleaner. Also, the breakfast was very very basic.

The location is good, and the staff is nice and helpful. The bedding was fine.

It was in the middle of everything, easy walk to all...
    • Private Room

Key cards to get in and use the elevator sometimes didn’t work. Mattresses were kind of hard

It was in the middle of everything, easy walk to all attractions . Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and the bathroom was always clean as well.

High standard hostel
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Male

Blankets are a bit thin and worn out. Stairs for upper beds not really comfortable.

Toilet and shower in the room, good wi-fi, ample common spaces. Very central location. .

Hostel is in a really good location, and the place is really...
    • One Room female (10)

Hostel is in a really good location, and the place is really nice. Bathrooms were always clean. And room was really spacious. Breakfast was really good with lots of options.

Pretty good
    • One Room female (10)

The beds are comfortable but make soooooo much noise and you can’t really sleep. The beds are also so high and you can’t go to the top easily ( it’s kinda dangerous). Maybe a couple more showers would be great.

Perfect location, good breakfast and pretty close to the subway station ( blue line).

The HI Chicago has an outstanding location, it's clean...
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

I stayed in an upgraded room, which I found out is part of a suite of two rooms plus kitchen and bathroom. That's a great setting, which I didn't expect; unfortunately the only functional thing in the kitchen was the fridge. There were no plates, cups, etc. and the stove didn't work. I didn't expect a suite kitchen, but since it was there, why not make it functional?

The HI Chicago has an outstanding location, it's clean and safe. Breakfast is fine, it would be great if there were fruits and maybe some warm options.

All I needed was a safe place to sleep that was comfortable and quiet, and I got that and more.
    • One Room female (10)

There is really nothing to complain about. But, if I had to make one suggestion, perhaps they can add another mirror in the dormitories, since several girls putting on makeup at the same time can become crowded.

I was pleasantly surprised by how cozy the beds were in the dormitories. Each bed has its own outlet and lamp. Bedding and towels are provided. The mattress was comfortable, too, unlike most hostels I've stayed at! The in-room lockers were large enough to fit my entire carry-on suitcase, with room to spare. The breakfast was simple but filling; they have a nice selection of fresh fruit, bagels and muffins, spreads, cereals, and a coffee machine.

Personal was very helpful and accessible.

Rooms are very compact.

Personal was very helpful and accessible. They solve all my issues kindly and completely. Hostel has all that you need: laundry, iron, lockers, kitchen. It's hard to imagine more convenient location than this hostel has. Subway station Jackson is in 2 minutes to go. That means that you can transfer from the O'Hare airport to the hostel just for 50 minutes by 1 subway track without exchanges. Embankment is in 5 minutes, as well as downtown.

Excellent place to explore Chicago downtown
    • Private Room

The bed linens were not clean on first day but that can be ordered fresh.

The heating at the property was excellent, in windy and cold time period the private suites were really warm. The location was excellent, in summer time there is beautiful park next to the Hi Chicago hostel. Millennium park is on walking distance and reasonable price shopping are is also close by. The breakfast was indeed really good and healthy compared to other places in USA.

Great location, you can have breakfast and watch the train...
    • Premium 4-Bed Female Dormitory

Breakfast isn't great, but then catering for the masses doesn't generally result in good food.

Great location, you can have breakfast and watch the train on the Loop go past.

Very clean room, shower and premises.
    • Private Room

No ladder or steps to get up to the top bunk. When we asked the reception if the ladder was missing, reception told us that we had to scramble up to the bed using the bed frame and wall - not for the elderly or unsure of foot.

Very clean room, shower and premises. Great facilities. Free breakfast. Water available all day. Loved the Chicago dog activity. Discounted tickets to the Art Institute.

Very enjoyable
    • One Room female (10)

The big rooms, super high ceilings, large windows, the included breakfast, the neighbourhood walking tour, the large common area, individual outlets for each bed, the convenient downtown location

Great stay in heart of chicago, for reasonable price.
    • One Room male (10)

There was only 1 bathroom on the floor, with only 1 stall. Seemed less. The staff at entrance was not too friendly. She didn't want to take any questions or guide about the area. Not everyone knows that the information desk is on 2nd floor. Thrtr was no one at information desk the few times I went.

Great location, comfortable bed and lockers in good shape

Good place for a stay.
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

It is not easy to meet up people, they should organise more social events. The staff could be a bit more useful in giving directions or tips about the city.. I felt that they were either not much willing or with not many knowledge..

The breakfast is very good and plenty to start the day. The property itself is big and with plenty of comfort too.

We basically used this as a crash-pad while we explored the city. AWESOME location!
    • Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Female

The mattresses are in need of replacing, and my blanket had a hole worn in it... still totally functional, but let's call it "shabby-chic."

Everything you hope to find in a hostel: clean, good amenities, friendly staff!

Great location just in the middle of the loop you can walk...
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

Upper bunk was hard to climb. Also the location is too central so all the day you hear the noise from the metro.

Great location just in the middle of the loop you can walk most of the attractions. Breakfast was good. Room was clean and big I could find personal space.

Nice hostel in nice location.
    • Premium 4-Bed Male Dormitory

Did not make any friends. Thought the location had too many floors.

Centrally located. Good ambience. No need for rental car. Near to Trump Hotel, where i had a good time in one of the weekends. It is also near to hilton hotel where i attended IT conference. Breakfast was good, got a chance to view international students.one of the receptionist very good.