Reviews of The Gregory 4 stars

42 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001, USA

#273 of 415 hotels in New York

• Queen Room

Bed was comfy. Location was perfect

comfy... the website is slightly misleading as the hotel is more dated than it appears on the website.. the rooms are Dark but bathroom lightning was good. The hotel location is perfect working distance to time square was under 5 minutes. Staff were beyond friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room slightly small (with only a small window). Odd smell from bathroom...

Location was perfect. Subway just downstairs. Walkable to most places and great for Broadway/ times square.

It was cold...and the heater was the central heater so the hotel decide not to put the heater on the room is always cold... There was no breakfast but coffee and tea was complimentary in the morning. Coffee was very light...I guess that is American coffee...

Perfect location!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The sound insulation of the door is slightly weak. I can hear clearly at midnight people entering their room. It’s a remodeled old hotel, I can understand it. The worst problem was that, the air conditioner was so loud. As if there was a lion roaring besides me when I was sleeping. None of my family members could have a good night sleep with it.

Located in Midtown Manhattan, very convenient, closed to every sightseeing spot. The lobby is classy and spacious, I could spend a whole day sitting in it. Very impressive first sight. The staff are nice and helpful. All guests are welcome to store baggage. (fee and tip are already included in the service charge) I had stayed in a two double bed room. Surprisingly, the room is bigger than I expected. There is even a walk-in closet in the room. The bathroom is also clean and spacious and they provides shampoo set, super considerate as a nyc hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Older building -> outdated flooring .. which led to a musty odor in the room. But that’s the only negative thing I can say.

Staff was extremely welcoming and helpful. Great location. Enjoyed the hotel stay and highly recommend.

We booked the hotel through Booking.com and knew the price we were due to pay. On check out the receptionist charged us more, albeit only $12 but would not back down, even though we showed her all the documentation. She ended up being quiet rude. If the value had been higher I would have stayed to argue the toss but I really didn't have the energy to talk to a brick wall.

We wanted a boutique hotel and this ticked that box. Reception was old world. The bedroom was though was clean, bright and dressed with white bedding. We were on the tenth floor but heard very little street noise and found the aircon to be very efficient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel isn't really suitable for anyone with physical limitations as the rooms are compact and the beds are extremely high. We were travelling with my grandmother who struggled getting onto the bed each day due to it's height

The staff were very friendly and always around to help with any questions. We really enjoyed the chilled fruit water in the lobby area throughout the day and the complimentary tea and coffee in the morning.

• Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

Don't like the small slow elevators but the room is worth it and the beds are very comfortable. This was my third time staying at the Gregory and this time I had a wonderful view with three windows.

I had breakfast downstairs at the restaurant which I had to pay for but it was excellent. The coffee was free. Wish they would include breakfast.

The bathroom on sink was very small but honestly as those things go it didn’t bother me since everything else was so nice. Loud traffic was par for the course. Earplugs or headphones recommended for those who have trouble with noise.

The bed was super comfy. The bathroom was nicely lit, if small, and had a nice shower head. The room was on the end and had lots of windows so nice natural light and good blinds to block it all out at night.

The hotel was in an ideal location close to Herald Square and easy to get to Times Square, Grand Central. It had a fab bar Brendan’s attached to it. Would highly recommend

Bathroom really tiny for two mostly the size of the sink area

Mattresses fabulous! Hotel was very quiet and relaxing. We loved the bar and really enjoyed our dtay

On the second day we had to request the third towel set for the room of 3 people. Would like to be able to open windows.

Nice decor, excellent location, lovely fresh iced water in reception all day and very helpful staff who organised taxis to the airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms are extra small for 2 double beds, dresser, and table/chair. The blinds we broken and were not repaired during our 4 day stay. There was not not enough lights int he room. The closet did not have any light. There was no refrigerator, coffee maker facility in the room. The room servie was lazy and the house keeping was tardy.

Just the location. The rest of the facilities were antique and not worth the price charged. The staff was snooty and arrogant and totally unhelpful and responsive. Over all experience was poor. Not recommended to stay.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Elevators a little small.

We had a nice sized 2 dbl room,for NY.Even though hotel fully booked it was quiet.Great boutique hotel!Lots of great restaurants nearby. Walking distance to Penn Station made travel easy!Thanks to The Gregory,we would definitely stay again!

• Queen Room

I stayed at Gregory's hotel from May 8 to May 12 (4 nights ). They finally charged from my bank card an extra money ( instead of 1704 US dollars as it was shown in my receipt , they took 3408 US dollars from my card ). After getting back to Moscow I have to apply to my bank for clarifications and cancel this operation! When I contacted the personal of the hotel in NYC they lied to me about charging extra money for my staying. I learnt it from my bank when I returned back to Moscow. That's really terrible story. Be careful

Dated hotel. One elevator was broken half the stay was very inconvenient. No heat in room during cool night. Bed was fair at best. Found a big cockroach in the bathroom. The light switch didn’t work. Carpet had a damp smell and curtains were broken on two of the windows.

Great location and gorgeous view

• Queen Room

Everyone at the front desk was helpful. The beds were extremely comfortable! The location cannot be beat. For a 100 year old plus hotel, it was quiet, clean, comfortable and located perfectly for lots of walking!

• Queen Room

The price was a bit high but I understand it's NYC. A small included breakfast would be great but, again, it's NYC.

The staff were pleasant. The location worked well for us. It was a short walk to the shows we saw.

The lady that attended me in the morning made the arrangements for an early check in but in exchange I got the noisiest room in the building. That wasn't good.

Location was awesome. The hotel restaurant also was a handy option for late dinner.

Bathroom extremely small, window A/C unit off and on constantly, fee for WiFi/coffee/water ridiculous on top of room rate, outdated facility.

Location was good in terms of proximity to Bolt Bus

Room is good, location is good. But I was disappointed in the service charges, 28$ Per night just for a small gym and some machine coffee downstairs. They offered me that I could wash a cloth a day. At the and I still have had to pay for it. Because I had to bring one cloth a day at the reception, that doesn’t work. But for the rest, it was okay.

Room and location was good

• Queen Room

There was an additional $35 ‘resort’ fee I was charged upon check in. Nowhere on booking.com was I told of this when I booked my reservation. This was upsetting as it was unexpected and if I was paying another $35 I prob would have looked at other hotels in that higher price range.

• Queen Room

A/C unit in room 1110 did not work. Glad I did not require either heat or cool.

Staff are excellent. So friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but really tastefully decorated. This hotel is what I love about small boutique properties located in large cities.

• Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

The daily Tailor Fee was a bit excessive. It would have been much more useful to have tea/coffee/hot water facilities in the room.

Fantastic location! We had a room on the 8th floor and it was quiet and had a view of the Empire State Building. Bed was very comfy and huge. Bathroom was a good size and clean. Staff were friendly and happy to help. Our pram broke during our stay and the hotel provided us with another one that had been left behind by other guests - this was a lifesaver!

The room was small, cold, drafty and very noisy. The elevators took FOREVER and there's nothing luxurious about this hotel beyond the furniture in the lobby. BEWARE the "Tailored fee" which costs you $25 and gets you "free wifi" and the option of laundering a single shirt a day, woo hoo! But cannot be avoided.

The small lobby is very nice, but that's about it.

No slippers as stated on booking.com also no free glass of wine each night as stated on booking.com, no shower cap, although these are minor things I do think these extras sway people to book and I feel a bit disappointed that they were not included. Booking.com need to update what is on offer at this hotel but overall it was a good stay

Bed was very comfortable and room was a good size

• Queen Room

Noise room temperature and the added $30 for meager amenadies charge that are given gratis at the neighboring hotels metro Hampton and Hilton garden inn.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Argh little niggle - the fire doors in the corridor can be really loud (if not opened and closed carefully) and if you have inconsiderate neighbours you may find yourself waking up several times during the night.

The hotel is beautiful, the staff are all lovely, the beds are amazingly comfortable and it’s perfectly located Midtown with a subway station at the end of the block (buy an unlimited 7 day metro card for $33 ($32 + $1 for the card itself) and the five boroughs are your oyster 24 hours a day.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A bit noisy during the night, but it is at the core of Manhattan...

This hotel is perfectly situated to visit New York, just a few meters from the Empire State. Rooms are comfortable and people working at the reception are friendly and ready to help.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The extra "TAILORED FEE" of $28/night added on to our bill (an extra $140) in addition to the $42.35/nite city tax. ($211.75 city taxes for 5 nites). I booked this hotel knowing I would be paying city tax; the Tailored fee was an extra. The hotel claimed it was for the two bottles of water; Wi-fi, etc, which we were led to believe on arrival were free, but apparently we were wrong. I felt this was cheap and fraudulent both on their part and on Booking.com for not making this known up front. I probably would have gone with a better hotel closer to the theaters.

This hotel is actually very lovely; well located with the expected amenities of a smaller boutique hotel.

• Queen Room

This hotel is centrally located and extremely close to the subway. It is modern and tastefully decorated, but retains an old worldly charm to the building. Plush luxurious rooms and facilities, it was a fantastic, comfortable stay. Our room did not have a view, but there was plenty of natural light and spacious bathroom.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room cleaning was not very good (stained carpet with remains from previous guests - old papers in hidden corners and even an m&m! - and dust on furniture and corners).

Excellent location, very comfortable bed (if you like soft matresses), good wifi, nice complimentary services (like 1 piece of laundry a day, coffee to go until 11).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It is a cosy hotel with friendly staff and for a reasonable price (its New York). The room was small but the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was good. The best thing about it is the location, almost everything is within a comfortable walking distance or a quick ride on the subway (I recommend you buy passes and it is very easy to use).

The room was very cold all day every day. If you would like to stay at the hotel during the day at your room, it is impossible to do that. We didn't get shower refill and also our room was a king size room but looked to a huge grey wall, so it was like we were in dark. BUT! The most important thing was that I didn't know that the hotel will reserve the fee using my card before our stay and will only refund after a week we left the hotel and paid the full amount already. So during a week I felt like I was double charged. And that was outrageous.

The location.

Perfect Location between 5th street and 6th, walking distance from of everything, excellent restaurant / bar. Very helpful reception and cleaning staff. Definitely use again.

• Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

Room was not cleaned during stay, check in did not go to plan and cancellation fee was added to booking incorrectly due to late check in after arriving in the day earlier and checking bags into storage to Wait for room to come available.

Good location and lively bar downstairs.

The bed was a little on the high side.

The size of the room was so much larger than we had expected. We had 3 windows on the front and a side window, it was so bright. The decor was beautiful. The staff that we interacted were super helpful, attentive, and accommodating. We loved our stay, would definitely go back again, and have already recommended it to friends.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wonderful hotel with very friendly, helpful staff. The decor and character throughout the hotel was beautiful. Yes the room was small but we expected that in NYC. The location is perfect! We will definitely stay at The Gregory on our next trip to NYC

At night it's noisy and the room was too hot and we couldn't lower the temperature.

The hotel is very central, near times square and empire state building. The rooms are small and old, bathroom was ok. Staff helpfull and nice.

• Queen Room

Staff weren’t very helpful, room was disappointing, iron didn’t work, noisy radiator woke us up every night. Room was dark, no views

Good location, modern decoration

• Queen Room

No overhead lighting in room. Small but functional bathroom. Resort fee is quite high for 2 bottles of water and high speed internet. Very little time spent in hotel to avail of wifi and 2 bottles of water cost $2 from the vendor on the cornor.

Excellent location close to Herald Square, Times Square, MSG, Penn Station and an excellent subway station. Super comfortable and clean. Modern and stylish decor without compromising on comfort.

The added on tailor fee. I didn't find it beneficial but other guests may think otherwise

Beautiful hotel, very spacious king deluxe room with an amazing view that faced the empire state building. The staff are very friendly and would go out of there way to help with anything. In a great location too,right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of NYC. Would definitely stay here again

• Queen Room

The room was very warm and I couldn’t adjust the temperature without turning on the air conditioner

Great comfortable bed and the staff was super nice and helpful

No coffee-making facilities in the room (but there is free coffee downstairs at breakfast time)

Nice big rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, great location and good lobby for working in

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is at a very good location, around 2 minutes walking to a train station and also very close to the Times Square. The staff were very friendly and gave us some tips of some restaurants.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the Room was very small, the noise from the street and the doors at night was bad. Brendan’s grill next door was expensive to eat .

The staff was very nice, Location is perfect and it was good to have a refrigerator in the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only problem was the outside noise but staying so central in a city that never sleeps it’s to be expected .

Loved the location of the hotel. It was so easy to get to everywhere. The staff were very helpful and Brendan’s bar and restaurant serve lovely food. The beds are so comfortable.

• Queen Room

One thing I would point out is that there are only lamps no actual lights in the room which was abit odd, a tad dark when getting ready in the evening. We didn't like that there were extra charges / taxes that we were charged upfront, booking.com hadn't made these clear before booking.

When we arrived our room didn't have a safe and the hot water wasn't running properly. We asked when we came back from food and they let us change room and all was fine. Room does get rather toasty in the night, but apart from that the room was fine and the bed is very comfy! Hotel staff polite and friendly. Great location, about 10-15 min walk to times square, and 2 mins to empire state. Lots of subways close buy so easy to get around. Hotel was fairly quiet which was nice, overall nice stay :)

• Queen Room

The only problem was the heat! We went in January, and it was very frigid outside. The hotel made sure the rooms were warm, but in the middle of the night- it became unbearable. It is radiator heat, and the only way to have it adjusted is with a tool, not a thermostat. I would stay here again but be fair warned- make sure you are at a comfortable temperature before you go to sleep.

• Queen Room

No shade on main window. Staff did not correct the issue during our stay. Had to hang a blanket over the window. They did adjust our bill a bit but would have preferred the shade.

Nice sized and clean rooms. Friendly staff.

Radiators were non-adjustable, so the room rapidly overheated.

The rooms were a decent size and layout, and the beds were comfy. Bathroom was clean, and facilities were fine.

• Queen Room

The room was steam heat, so it was a bit warm. The doors to the rooms slammed loudly.

Very nice small room. Comfortable bed. Clean. Awesome location for walking to theaters and getting to the train.

• Queen Room

Bathroom was very small and I was very disappointed at the fact that they charge a “Tailors” fee for amenities. Additional $28 per day that is not mentioned during booking process. Heater makes a lot of noise and hard to sleep if you are a light sleeper

Upon arrival to the hotel we were told that our booking had been cancelled, this was a massive shock as we had just arrived after spending nearly 24 hours getting to the hotel. I enquired why we had not been contacted and the hotel staff stated that we should have called up to ensure that our booking was still valid, apparently the attempted to take payment via booking.com for the first nights stay and could not process the card so automatically cancelled our stay but didn't inform booking.com or myself. Very poor customer service when trying to sort this out on our arrival, we were told that we would have to find another hotel for the rest of the holiday, obviously this is not acceptable, after alot of talking the hotel decided that they could reinstate us for the following night but not the arrival night and we would still have to find somewhere else to stay. We were too tired to argue the point with staff and trekked off alone to find another hotel for the night. Very dissapointing start to the holiday. The next morning we had to pack up our bags again and then come back to the gregory to leave our bags as we couldn't check in until later on in the day as no rooms available. No apology from any of the staff regarding this but we just wanted to put it all behind us and enjoy the holiday. I would never book this hotel again purely down to the lack of communication, even booking.com struggled to get in contact with them when I made my formal complaint upon arrival back into the UK. We had tried several times prior to arriving in New York to get hold of the concierge for recommendations and had no response so we weren't surprised with the response to this whole situation. Other than the above the hotel rooms were fine, breakfast was not included and the additional $20 a day charge incurred was not worth it and seemed to be sold as compulsory. The rooms themselves were clean but a very dated masculine feel throughout the hotel.

The location was excellent as it is located centrally to all of the tourist hotspots, this allowed us to walk to all of the landmarks that we wanted to. We didn't use any public transport until the 4th day but again the hotel is located right next to the subway.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything! From front desk, to my bedroom, to everything!!

Booking.com should make sure the hotels they offer , give them the correct information about the hotel. I had a very bad experience! My room was not what I asked for and paid for.

• Queen Room

Great vibe, great location, great staff, great rooms where I felt safe & super comfortable. Can’t say enough about the fantastic experience I had here. Can’t wait to go back.

Avoid the free coffee in the morning... there is a reason why it is free :)

Locations is great, it allows you to walk to shops, Broadway, Times Square,...

The room was small, air conditioning (hanging off the window) was noisy, the bathroom was terrible (small, the bath tab was chip off all over the place, the drains didn't work properly, the door was rotten...)

Location is great, just a few steps from shopping area, and 10-15 min walk to Broadway and Times Square.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

If you book on this site and have to change the dates of your trip by even one day YOU WILL BE CHARGED OVER $250 FOR MAKING THAT CHANGE! We just bought an extra night from hotel direct it was cheaper- THIS is soooo wrong! -NO coffee maker in room - NO doorman so VERY HARD TO GET A CAB! - VERY SMALL ROOMS! -ONLY 2 VERY SMALL ELEVATORS AND VERY SLOW

• Queen Room

The heating in the room was controlled centrally and often really hot or not on. We were in NYC over winter

The hotel was in a great location, 5 mins to Macy's and the Empire State Building, only a 15 minute walk to Times Square.

Heating in the room was poor- it was either off or on full blast. No control. The bathroom was tiny for a couple sharing a room and it was in a poor state.

Very friendly and courteous staff

• Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

windows were a bit thin/old so the cold air came in - not complaining but this is what I didn't like!

excellent location, right next to Macy's. staff super friendly - hotel recently renovated so cleans and well decorated. hard to find fault! I drove - there was a parking deal with the lot across the street - no restaurant in hotel but not necessary as many choices around.

Imposing man met us at the door, only coffee offered in the morning- being charged a ridiculous $30 “tailored fee” per night supposedly for 2 bottle of water, complimentary coffee, and use of the gym plus a dry cleaned shirt- this was not listed in our booking Price and was a surprise ADDITIONAL charge when we checked in $30 PER NIGHT. Room was brutally hot- I could not sleep. But mostly, the cleaning staff taking or throwing out our bag of specialty food items. We emailed the hotel 3 days ago- no response.

Nice room.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

the hotel was dirty, the boiler to heat water was not working, the staff was rude, i was wearing white socks and they where dirty after 2min after taking my shoes off, worst hotel experience ever!

• Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

Facilities are not the newest; noisy heating, a window that leaked; we had to be moved to another room because of a leak on a pipeline. Finally, we found an additional daily $28 fee at the time of our checkout.

Location is outstanding Staff was attentive Nice comfy bed

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We use to stay in NY for few days in boutique hotels but this time, we paid the price and did not get the charm of other stays. The ground floor was occupied by a “pop up store” that was more a clothing flee market, preventing any use of the bar or lobby space. As a result does not correspond to website pictures (no real lobby, no bar, no space to work but rooms) Very noisy rooms when on street side Not the charm of the boutique hotel you imagine on the web Printer not working

Decent rooms Central location Next to metro

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lift was a bit slow but no big deal since location was terrific.

Location very hard to beat. Close to Macy’s and subways and moments to Bryant park and 5th avenue shops. Good value for money.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I really have nothing negative to say about this hotel. I would recommend it highly.

Beds and bedding exceptionally comfortable. Liked the refrigerator in room. Staff was very accommodating. Loved the historical architecture of the building, as well as all of the modern amenities.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The Hotel said that Booking.com made the mistake of giving us a room with one bed and a sofabed instead of 2 queen beds.This was rectified the following night ....

The heater made a lot of hissing noise (thought it was decorated nicely with a moveable counter over the radiator). The windows let in a LOT of cold air if you were near them, regardless of whether or not they were opened. I also heard the neighbors most of our stay.

The room was definitely more spacious that most other NYC hotels that I've stayed in. I thought it had good modern decor as well. Many other NYC hotels are very dates. The staff was nice.

Room small even for NYC, low grade facilities. AC heater in room didn’t work and even when maintenance requested it still wasn’t done. Small, old elevator and parts of the hotel looked very worn. Second night moved to Le Soleil on 36th. Far better hotel for same money.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It is not the luxury hotel one may expect when looking at the pictures on the website. Some refurbishment should be considered in particular for the windows.

Staff was excellent. We were delayed 48 hours due to bed weather conditions and they did not charge the 2 nights.

• Queen Room

The radiators were quite noisy! And teamed with a room facing the street it was hard to get some sleep! However it is New York so the outside noise is to be expected! The radiator unfortunately was loud turning itself on and off through the night! The hot water was out for over 24 hours which wasn’t great considering it was -10 outside on New Year’s Day!

The rooms are lovely with the decor! And the hotel bar was great with delicious food!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was un my mind that I reserved two rooms but when I was in front desk, I was informed thst I reserved, one double bed room. It was chocking to me. Who’s mistake? Maybe me? I cannot find my booking.com initial reservation

I liked the location, near to many important building and stores

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small room no private doors, for the two beds.Double queen double bedroom. no microwave in the rooms or building

They call the rooms before people come up to the room to see hotel guest

Browse The Gregory traveller photo gallery