Reviews of Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection 4 stars

333 North Dearborn Street (Driveway Entrance at 350 N. State Street), River North, Chicago, IL 60654, USA

#76 of 154 hotels in Chicago

6.2

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

the best thing about the hotel is the location.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Room service was really poor and also it was expensive

the best thing about the hotel is the location. it's in Chicago downtown and you can walk to every places you want. it is also close to Blue line which you can use to go to the airport.

Clean place with friendly, attentive staff. Good in-house breakfast.
    • Standard King Room with City View

View. Don't be fooled by 'city views'. We had a view of the roof of House of Blues and the Marina City parking garage.

Breakfast spread was very nice. Real bacon, real sausage, and--yes--real eggs. Coffee was Starbucks. Selection of other foods was diverse. By 9:00, the supplies were running low. No coffee cup lids, for instance. Food was in abundance, though.

Overall negative.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Our room stated it was a king room with a minibar..it had neither to it. When asked where the mini bar was , staff told me that my floor didnt have one but my reservation through booking.com stated it would have. I feel i was over charged and deceived when making my purchase. There was people sleeping all over the premises...some homeless some too toxicated and there was vomit all over the hotel in the hallway of the hotel of 4th floor and multiple levels in stairwell. Would never recommend or stay again or use booking.com for anymore reservations due to them being misleading.

It was close to alot of attractions, shops, and restaurants.

Reserve a King, take what you get! Booking.com reservations are "just requests" at this hotel.
    • Standard King Room with City View

My reservation for a King room was "only a request" according to Rory who put us in a queen room.

Nothing! We won't be back! Skanky hallways, perfect setting for a horror movie. Nowhere to put your bags but on the floor. Turbo flush toilets so loud you can hear them in every surrounding room too. My allergies were a mess both mornings after sleeping here.

Fun Location

Small rooms

Lots to do and see! Yolk (breakfast/lunch) is attached; Spin (ping pong bar) around the corner; House of Blues within walking distance

BEST HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT IN CHICAGO
    • Standard King Room with City View

I liked everything but the Wi-Fi didn't work

EVERYTHING!! BEAUTIFUL VIEW HOUSE OF BLUES HARRY CARAY'S THE VIEW THE RIVER AT NIGHT WITH THE LIGHTS THE PEOPLE

OK
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

They gave me the smallest room in my category, it was the right category room, but I know they have different sizes and I was given the smallest room!

OK

Perfect!
    • Queen or Double Room

Rory at the the desk was wonderful, Tim mixes some great drinks! I stayed there last year and had everyone in our party stay here this year, we all loved it!

Pleasantly surprised at the quality and service at a reasonable price for a prime location hotel.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I didn't eat at the restaurant, but did have a snack at the bar. Unfortunately, YOLK next door was swamped when all I wanted was a quick to go GOOD cup of coffee. If anything, the hotel may want to consider offering an area for such needs in the lobby.

I liked the readiness of the front desk staff and the parking attendants to my questions. I'm somewhat of a Chicago newbie and needed some guidance. Hotel Chicago didn't fail to assist.

We had a wonderful time at the hotel, the area is right in the heart of great Chicago attractions.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I’d wished the booking would have CLEARLY stated how much the additional parking charge was going to cost. We knew there’d be a fee, however as guests of the hotel I feel $71 for 24 hours was a bit much. I knew we’d pay a hefty fee to park, but this seemed excessive. AND I felt like this website and the hotel purposely were not upfront about this to make the hotel seem more affordable. I felt it was a bait and switch. I’ve stayed at hotels in San Francisco and didn’t pay this much. Chicago is a big city, but not on the level of San Francisco, IMO. This would certainly be a consideration when booking again in Chicago.

The staff was very helpful and pleasant. It’s located right next The House of Blues where we were attending a concert. It’s also near many restaurants and bars. I loved the close proximity to the canals, perfect for a walk and sightseeing.

It’s in the heart of Chicago, perfect location!
    • Standard King Room with City View

It’s in the heart of Chicago, perfect location! We arrived really early before noon and check in time was supposed to be at 3pm so we went to leave our luggage and i was surprised that the receptionist was like oh that’s no problem u can check in right now , everyone was really welcoming and friendly! The room was amazing with a beautiful city view , super comfy beds and just perfect! I’ll definitely will be going back !

Outstanding local and wonderfully helpful employees
    • Standard King Room with City View

Strange bathroom configuration. Was to be city view and overlooked a roof! Requested NoFeather pillows and bed had 4 when we arrived

Wonderful bed. Large room Free Wifi help was wonderful

Great value, great location!
    • Standard King Room with City View

-WiFi is free, but only in the lobby. In other circumstances I’d just use my phones data, but because it’s an older building, I had crummy service. But when I looked into just paying for it, I was shocked that WiFi is either $19.95 for regular speed, $24.95 for high speed. A bit of an inconvenience. -I liked the design of the room, but some things made it looked unkempt. All of the lampshades were crooked, paint chips, etc. would. It deter us from staying in the future, but made an odd first impression.

-Excellent location. Walking distance to theater district, Michigan Ave, tons of bars and restaurants. House of Blues was directly outside of our window. -Comfortable bed -Nice tv -Even with the cons, we’d definitely stay again for the value and location.

I will not be staying at this hotel again.
    • Standard King Room with City View

I feel that it was not the best deal for the rate. I paid extra for a city view and was placed in a room facing another building, very disappointing. The shower in the bathroom is extremely small. The overall decor was very outdated. The staff was not accommodating when I inquired about checking in an hour early.

The bed was very comfortable. The room appeared cleaned and the location cannot be beat. The hotel is right next door to the house of blues and just a block from the chicago riverwalk.

Just perfect! We will be back!
    • Standard King Room with City View

Everything was great - nothing we didn't like!

The valet parking is extremely convenient. All of the staff were very nice and super helpful. This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and we will definitely be back!

Good price but difficult accesst to the hotel entrance.
    • Standard King Room with City View

The staff put me into a Queen room instead of a King that I've booked on your website. I went back to the front desk and they asked me for a proof from Booking.com. If I haven't noticed the mistake, I would have been staying at a much smaller room than I was supposed to stay. This is a miscommunication between Booking.com and the hotel. The both sides need to improve.

The price is really good.

Great overnight downtown.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Super comfy beds with plenty of pillows. Very close t9 the Orange Line stop. Location to House of Blues can’t be beat. We literally just walked about 10 yards to get there from this hotel. Well stocked mini bar, too. We would definitely stay there again.

Friendly & Comfortable!
    • Queen or Double Room

The staff all around was friendly and very welcoming! The room was clean, the view was nice, and the price was amazing! I definitely will book here again for my next trip!

Overall good, maintenance could be improved
    • Standard King Room with City View

Only issue was the heater went out overnight and when I woke up in the morning it was about 58 degrees in the room.

Nice staff, amazing room. Great lobby for socializing at the bar.

booking.
    • Standard King Room with City View

booking.com said we had a king size bed and when we got to the property we were told they only had 2 twins and informed us that booking.com dosent have control over the inventory of the hotel.......booking.com should NOT confirm this when they cant

Would stay there again.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Breakfast in the Hotel by outsourced Company, ok. Bed excellent. Hotel is good to reach via Blue Line from O'Hare, just 10' walk from Clark/Lake Station.

Excellent location and
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I was there some years ago. At that time it was called SAX Hotel. The style was better and staff was more friendly. There is a coffee shop next door for a quick breakfast, but it was very crowed in the morning.

The Location is great. Just next to the House of Blues and good Downtown Location.

Otherwise the bed was comfortable, we celebrated our 1st year anniversary, & walked to Weber grill
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The bathroom could be more updated. We don't like a shower curtain in the bathroom. They need a stand up tower. Most people take a shower & go. We got a great view of some industrial rooftop since we were on the 8th floor.

The decor of the room was nice. The service from guest services was superb Latrece was very accommodating considering the hotel was sold out & we couldn't get a upper floor room. She gave us snacks & breakfast on the hotel.

The location is great, property is nice.
    • Standard King Room with City View

The Wi-Fi is NOT free unless you've booked directly through the hotel website or are a rewards member. This is an amenity in 2017 that should just be available to the guests.

The location is great. The property and room is great.

When we checked in they offered us water
    • Standard King Room with City View

When we asked the staff how to get to union station he responded rudely "I'm not sure I don't use public transportation" not very helpful . The name wasn't actually under our name and took three staff members to find it . The room was very small . The house keeping did a very poor job but were very very friendly and smiling lots

When we checked in they offered us water

Great location but needs better staff
    • Standard King Room with City View

Staff in the lobby was not welcoming or friendly, though polite enough. The room was ok but nowhere near what I would have expected from an autograph collection hotel

The location was excellent, right next door to the house of blues. Close to the Chicago theater and the river walk.

Overall, the stay was good, the electrical problems prevented it from being great.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Our room had electrical problems. The plug in the bathroom didn't work and neither did the plug on the back wall. They used an extension cord to run from the desk lamp to the bathroom, which wasn't ideal. The phone between the bed didn't work upon arrival either, but they did get a cord to repair that. I almost wished they had just moved us to a different room.

Overall the hotel was good. The staff was excellent, very friendly and accommodating! The bathroom was a good size and the shower was great (good shower head and great water pressure).

My stay at Hotel Chicago was comfortable, relaxing, and the location was very convenient to my needs
    • Standard King Room with City View

I didn't like not having a refrigerator in the room for the price that I paid...that was all.

I like the size of the room. The entire staff was responsive to requests, and they were able to answer questions about entertainment, resturants, and transporttation in the city. Most of the staff would have a conversation with you, make you feel at home, eye contact, best means of food, transportation, prices, and could understand and feel your needs when assistance was needed. truly enjoyed my stay.

Not worth the money
    • Standard King Room with City View

No wifi in rooms unless you pay for it...they gave me the wrong room the 1st night, view was of a metal roof and the circular parking lot . The room was extremely small. Reserved a room with a city view and queen bed.. They did upgrade the second night. No vending available for even water..not worth the $420 I paid for the stay of two nights, maybe half of the would be worth it. Would not stay there again!! Way too expensive for what I got.

Staff

Great location but...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

For the price, room lacked basic amenities (i.e., refrigerator that wasn't stocked full of overpriced drinks like $6 cans of pop, water etc. No microwave or kitchenette). Although this wasn't a big deal to me, my girlfriend was upset they didn't have a pool. It seems you are paying a higher premium for location above everything else with the Hotel. Right across the way from the House of Blues. I'd probably book another hotel in the future different from this one.

Prime location in the heart of many restaurants, attractions and things to get into. The gym was also above average for what you experience in most hotels.

Best Location for Enjoying Chicago
    • Standard King Room with City View

When we checked in, the desk clerk wasn't as friendly or courteous as we felt she should have been. The exercise room was small. There was no pool.

The hotel was perfectly located to walk to the River Walk, the Millineum and Grant Parks, the House of Blues, nice restaurants, and close proximity to the Navy Pier trolley stop. We were able to see more of the city in the time we spent because of the location.

I suggest. To open hotel restaurants. at least to provide a bottle of water
    • Standard King Room with City View

Poor communication. Lack of food market

The hotel is very good it's cleanness. But no facility for drinking water food even the viber was not working properly.market was very far, most of recep staff were not to pleasent.

Location is perfect. Room not what I booked
    • Standard King Room with City View

Booked a king given 2 double beds , not even queen beds 🙄. Had event to attend so couldn't address and shouldn't have to. Booked a king expected a king. A/C struggled to cool for such a nice hotel . Pricey Honor Bar missing a beer after room was serviced but hotel resolved.

Location!! Security, Decor. Did I mention Location!!

Beautiful!
    • Standard King Room with City View

The fact we wwould have to pay extra for internet was a huge disappointment. Really wished there was a refrigerator to use (without alcohol) and microwave.

The room was very spacious as well as the bathroom. So very clean.

Will definitely stay here again!
    • Standard King Room with City View

No mini fridge or microwave in the room. Couldn't find a book of hotel amenities in the room.

Service was outstanding and the bed was super comfortable. Very quiet for being in the bustling downtown area of Chicago. Bathroom was immaculate!

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Great Hotel and Perfect Location!

Nothing not to like

Hotel was very nice as well as the staff. They did have an error with our reservation but upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite at no additional cost! Location was great and had easy access to transportation and for walking downtown. Will defenielty stay here again!

Great location, close to everything. Beds in need of up grade.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I booked a King size room with a view and received a room with 2 double beds that were very worn out and caused me and my husband to roll to center of the bed. We ended up having to sleep in separate beds that night. Also Wifi wasn't included in the cost room. What Hotel doesn't included WIFI?

I like the view and the closeness to everything.

Ideal starting place for all parts of Chicago

no complaints

WLAN was good but expensive (100 MBit/s symmetric). But: I've got a free access code! Don't know why, I've just asked at the reception for WiFi and got it. Nice breakfast cafe is directly connected to the hotel. Near to the house of blues so we spent several nights there.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Wedding anniversary getaway
    • Standard King Room with City View

This Hotel was very elegant. Staff was super kind from the start! Very welcoming and even helped us with a few directions and restaurant recommendations. View from our room was awesome! Can't wait to go back.

Would not return.
    • Standard King Room with City View

The room (613) had a terrible view, was overly warm, poorly furnished, no towel rack near the sink, minimal drawer space, the sink faucet broke, no fridge or microwave, had to join "rewards" program to get any internet.

Liked the location and the price.

Hotel Chicago is an excellent choice for a visit to Chicago - wonderful accommodations and location
    • Standard King Room with City View

Not a thing NOT to like about the Hotel Chicago.

Amazing staff; comfortable, clean, quiet; free WiFi was sufficient for the work I needed to do while at the hotel; excellent restaurants nearby; House of Blues next door

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

A good stay with little problem.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Lighting by sink was poor. No fan in bathroom.

The staff was friendly from the front desk to the house keeping. Beds were comfy and the room was cozy. Big TV and just enough room for an overnight stay.

Decent but probably won't again.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I put in a request for extra clean room and sheets. The sheets I had were ripped. Therre was dried up blood stains on my bed. I could not breathe in that room so it was hard to sleep it not clean. Very dusty. Overall was not very pleased for my 27th birthday at a hotel and expect such lousy treatment.

The hotel itself was very elegant and and staff was very friendly and accommodating

very pleasant and wish I could have stayed longer!
    • Standard King Room with City View

The bathroom could have more storage to set personal bathroom items that I travel with. More drawer space in the bedroom area would have been convenient and there was not a luggage rack to place suitcase.

The bed and the pillows were wonderful. I appreciated the extra security in the elevators. When I needed something, it was brought immediately. It was quiet in my room as well!

The bed and sheets were AMAZING after a long day of...
    • Standard King Room with City View

Parking was 70+ per night, would have been a good thing to know about before we got there the extra cost involved!

The bed and sheets were AMAZING after a long day of travelling!

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Good location, not really a good hotel, over priced, an not so good service
    • Standard King Room with City View

Customer service was not good. My room could have been bigger. The valet service was terrible and shysters. My room had no microwave, so all the expensive food I bought, I couldn't warm up, so which was wasted money.

The only thing I like was the location

I wouldn't stay here again
    • Standard King Room with City View

Horrible parking, but that's to be expected as it is downtown. I stayed a week after Valentine's Day & there were dried dead rose petals & leaves on the floor. There was horrible lighting in the rooms & the water pressure in the shower was poor. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor onto the carpet because there wasn't a barrier between the floor of the shower & the bathroom. The staff was very aloof & overall very unfriendly.

Hotel Chicago is in a great location. There's a bowling alley right next door & restaurants in walking distance. The House of Blues is right across the street.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Amazing stay, amazing location, amazing price!

There was a 100 a day accidental fee I was not made aware of until check in

The staff was excellent I was celebrating my birthday and they made sure my experience was amazing!

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Perfect spot for our weekend downtown
    • Queen or Double Room

Did not like how expensive the wifi was

Loved the size of the room. There were three of us, and plenty of space for all our stuff. Very comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

The door men/valet, etc.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Do not like valet parking very much because I like to be able to go to my car whenever.

The door men/valet, etc. were very nice to me!! Lots of help for a frazzled traveler who just got lost on Lower Wacker for 30 minutes!

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Great Downtown Hotel
    • Standard King Room with City View

When I checked in I had paid for a King room with a city view but didn't get it. The mananger was very apologetic and polite (Kyle) to the miscommunication that took place. The valet is high but I found parking less than a block away through SpotHero for $35 for overnight. Overall was pleased with the location and stay very beautiful hotel! Manager Kyle was very professional.

The hotel was very clean and the atmosphere is everything if your looking for an AWESOME downtown location. Loved that we could just walk right across the driveway for the show at The House of Blues so I give that FIVE STARS!

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

The shower is great and it's very comfortable.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Maybe the parking is expensive, but it's Chicago you know.

The shower is great and it's very comfortable. The whole room is really wonderful and the location is excellent for shopping. Very good experience

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

THANK YOU!
    • Standard King Room with City View

Front desk really helped us, we checked in with 2 beds and they upgraded us to a king when we explained it was out 25th Anniversary. Great staff at this hotel! Thanks Mitch & Dana Rick

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Not convenient.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Wifi paid, breakfast paid, everything paid. Marriott Reward couldn't added cause the reservation has to be done directly on Marriott website.

Front desk

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Great hotel

No free wifi.

I stayed there for 8days, totally better than what I thought. Easy to access Anywhere. I will stay here next time when I get back! Strongly recommend her to you!! Solo traveler from Japan !!!

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Great location...thats all you really get.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Staff. Housekeeping barged into our room twice this morning. Started knocking on doors at 8am to begin cleaning...waking people up. Desk staff snooty and unhelpful. The security guard assisted us in finding a good restaurant open on Thanksgiving night. The bar tender was the friendliest of everyone.

Location is great and the beds are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

My favorite in Chicago.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The mini bar was missing items from the list and on check out you tried to let me pay for something that I never used.

I hope to be back again soon This is my favorite hotel in Chicago. I will take this opertunaty to recommend the guy from the reception that remember be from my last visits and give me awesome service.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

The most romantic and comfortable place in downtown Chicago
    • Standard King Room with City View

Off site parking is a nightmare. Pretty pricey at the hotel it's self.

The staff was remarkable. Very warm greetings from the entire staff. The room was the most comfortable room I've ever stayed in. A little small but worth it. Me and my date will definitely visit again.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Nice but room was hot.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Thermostat is calibrated to make it so it won't cool. Vents need to blow away from the stat not right above it .... was lil rough getting to sleep when it was hot in the room. Calibrate your stats to show correct temp.

Room was big and comfortable and bed was great to sleep on.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Everything was great besides the beginning
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The guy checking us in was not very nice and gave me an off putting look when I said we paid for a room with a city view (it was extra so I wanted to make sure we got our moneys worth). Luckily another gentlemen stepped in, who I think was the manager and helped us get a room, which was very nice of him! The city view room was still not what I expected.

The staff (besides the guy checking us in) we're very nice. Especially at the bar! The rooms were clean. The bathroom in our room was somewhat clean ( I think they could of done a better job wiping the tub/toilet), The location was great and I really liked the decor of the hotel!

Otherwise great location and nice room
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Needs a mirror by the desk so u can plug in a hairdryer while someone else is in the bathroom showering and getting ready.

• Standard King Room with City View

Flickery light in bathroom. Only one robe.

Location. Great view. Wonderful staff.

Highly recommend this hotel. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Chicago.
    • Standard King Room with City View

Spacious room, spotless, cleaned daily, comfy bed, great location - could not fault this hotel.

Location and comfort
    • Standard King Room with City View

Room was great, bed very confortable.

• Standard King Room with River View - Concierge Level

Booking.com and there system didn't mach up so I never got the room with the view of the river.

Best location
    • Standard King Room with City View

The mattresses were not comfortable at all.

The location was wonderful

More expensive than anticipated, but after review on hotel survey was contacted and issues addressed
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

During booking was not informed of a $71 parking fee.

Property was within walking distance to Windy City Smokeout festival.

Everything was excellent, great

Parking charges

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

I liked everything. Pleasant and helpful staff. Awesome room. Close to everything.

Convenient for everything I had to do.

The bed was great.
    • Standard King Room with River View - Concierge Level

Not being able to find somewhere to park

The bed was great. Staff so very helpful

I was disappointed in the whole situation and booking.com never got back to me. We purchased on line

Wasn't helpful

Was not helpful

Staff was really nice and helpful.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Couldn't find the main door so easily.

Staff was really nice and helpful. Quick check out option..really nice service!

Great location, just in Chicago downtown.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Great location, just in Chicago downtown.

still no slippers.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

still no slippers. Not every customer reqires, but somebody may.

Will visit again,
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

No heat, boilers were down. Could not accommodate portable heat.

Beautiful hotel, great location, comfortable bed, willingness to please staff