Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Clifton NJ 3 stars

680 State Route 3 West, Clifton, NJ 07012, USA

#2 of 2 hotels in Clifton

5.9

Shower

I’ve been to this hotel before. Rooms vary greatly. This time Room was sub-par. Furniture did not have drawer pulls. Bathtub must have been fixed with an overlay that rocked and gave an unstable feel while showering.

Bathroom floor looked like it had been mopped, but was sticky feeling. I wiped it down with a washcloth and that seemed to help. First night, my pillow smelled of a man's cologne (not my husbands). Ice from the machine was loaded with black pieces. Think ice machine needs cleaned out.

The facilities are old, even though it claims to be refurbished. Decoration is dark. The doors to the balcony outside did not lock sufficiently. The staircase used instead of the slow elevator was dirty and propped open with scraps of metal. The lobby has a snack area, but just does not seem warm and friendly. Nearby restaurants for evening non-existent.

The beds were comfortable, and it was reasonably quiet. There were a lot of people right outside our door talking in the wee hours, but you could barely hear the voices. Parking was good. IHOP is directly next door, making breakfast a treat.

There was only one single problem in my experience. At night the roof in the bathroom would leak and there would be a puddle of water on the floor. But even that was remedied with a self-applied towel and I didn't see it as a major issue. Everything else was amazing!

The staff were super nice, even after having to deal with horrible people. They always kept their calm and did their best to make sure everyone got what they deserved. Warm comfy bed, dependable wifi, working heater and air conditioner, plenty of space to move around, clean sheets and room. It was honestly a blast!

The room was kind of dirty and stuffy, the bathtub was also dirty as was the carpet. But it was okay I just needed an overnight stay.

I liked how it was extremely convenient

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The worst hotel i haf ever stayed in Dirty Dirty Dirty and old and worn out The snow removel wad trrible. We will never stay at a Howard Johnson ever again.

It was available

• Queen Room - Smoking

Broken toilet bowl handle. Broken headboard. Outdated furniture. Broken night lights questionable electrical wall outlets

front desk service . Convenience to restaurants and shops

I didn't like the bathroom. My bathroom had mildew In the shower and the water doesn't go down when your taking a shower. Another thing I didn't like was the outside doors can be easily open without the key card. Security issues with the doors should be fix. They do have a lot of cameras around the area.

The room we stayed in was big enough for our family. 3 adults and 2 children under the age of 3. The pull out sofa bed was a bonus. Also they don't served breakfast there they have ihop in front of them or you could go to tick tock diner around the corner. I highly tick tock. If your an out of towner.

• Queen Room - Smoking

Dirty I as for a queen I couldn't fit my grandson it was a full size no way it was a queen I have a queen at four people sleep on it this bed only me and my husband could fit dirty on the was I moved a chair all dirty behind it on the wall the floor .. I'm gonna find another hotel when I come next year. .

Area I like that it

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

Everything was horrible. It looked like a crack house. In all my life I've NEVER seen such a disgusting and dirty place. I think a truck stop would have been an upgrade.

When checking-out after the second nights stay, the overnight Desk Clerk accused me of scratching his car in the parking lot the first night we were there, because we were parked next to his car the second night we were there. First, we didn't know what car he drove until we were checking out and he pointed to it. Second, we were not even parked near his car the first night, instead we had parked in between a Cooper Mini and a Van, not even close to where he parked as we checked-in that first night very late. We thought it very odd that the Desk Clerk carried on regarding this and would not believe that we did not scratch his car! Very put-off by this.

The facility was adequate and nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room carpet was very dirty. You wouldn't know by looking at it but walking with white sweat socks, you could tell right away as they ended up very black after a few short steps back and forth. Don't walk barefoot! Be careful when prebooking. Use a credit card. I was preauthorized 3 times! So much so my card was declined when I checked in to pay. Not much pity from the front desk, just get another form of payment. At that point I paid with my debit. Preauthorizations were removed after check out.

Right next to IHOP

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was absolutely disgusting and smelled of Curry and Marijuana. People can walk freely in and out without a key. I complained about the smell and they said they were all booked. I then asked if they could have the party in the next room to stop smoking pot and quiet down and the man said he was "too frightened" and I should just knock and tell them myself.

Prostitutes in halls, garbage in halls, urine in halls, holes in the wall, mold all over the bathroom, blood and urine and use your imagination on the other fluids. Sheets had blood in them, mattress had urine stains. If it wasn't 1:30am when we got there would've left!!!! Elevators only worked for employees, they shut them off when they wasn't using them. And to top it all off was a woman screaming at top of her voice help me. 911 was called heard more running down the halls. We barricaded the door cause we was afraid.

Nothing the whole experience was bad

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We asked for a suite since we are six altogether. However, the room is small that there's not enough leg room when the sofa bed was opened. Then the towels and wash cloth. They are so used up already that they can pass to be kitchen hand towels and dish rags. Anyway, I really dislike the smell of the ENTIRE hotel. Air fresheners are not that expensive. Even the smell of the elevators are deplorable. SAD and BAD experience. My first and last stay in this hotel.

A big television and the soft bed. Free coffee.

Bathroom was dingy and could use some work. Towels had little stains and didn't look clean. TV didn't seem to work and wasn't straightforward.

Bed was comfy.

I didn't like how expensive it was and there was no breakfast. Booking stated that there is complimentary breakfast but there was none. I think for just sleeping there for one night it shouldn't have costed that much if we are paying just for a room.

I like that it was clean and the staff were friendly. The parking was convenient it was a very good stay.

When I first walked into the room there were about 20 fingerprints on the patio door visibly dirty you could clearly see them, & the curtains were open . As soon as I started to unpack I noticed things on the headboard stains on the top cover over blanket, as I went to pull back the sheets to get into the bed to relax the sheets was filthy they were crumbs in the bed thats it's disgusting. I went to complain to housekeeping and they informed me that they don't flip the pillow top only every three days it was still horrible & the sheets were disgusting I went down to complain to the manager at the front desk he said he'll give me another room. I went to see another room took the sheets back it was the same!!!! So the hotel is 🤢 nasty 😷 them burned sheets in a non-smoking room is unacceptable !!! I will never stay at a Howard Johnson hotel ever again!

Nothing! Room facility were disgusting &inappropriate

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

The room I was assigned had a deadbolt that didn't lock, when I informed the desk from the room they said they would send someone 15 mins later no one so I went down, the "other" clerk was insistent that I was wrong and walked me to room where I showed him how it didn't work and for 5 more mins decided to disagree. After asking him to open another room so i could show him, he finally saw that he was wrong.

The greeting by the initial desk clerk and the interaction with the clerk at checkout was pleasant.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

The only problem was that my daughter had also booked from Hotel booking for a funeral we were attending in New Jersey. Her flight got cancelled and last minute she was not coming to the room. So hotel booking was called and then they got back to her and said that they got in touch with Howard Johnson and they refused to even split at least part of the room with her and that she lost the entire amount. I am very upset with that Hotel and will never ever book them again. Very poor professionalism on their part.

Nothing after my daughter lost her full amount they charged on her card. They could have worked a little with her.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Checking in was a mess, I booked this room for my 2 dtrs and grand daughter, reserved with my card for a family party, so my dtr was trying to check in, as I was in another part of town getting party situated, my dtrs came from Virginia and the staff refused to let them check in until they physically saw the card I used to reserve the room,needless to say I wasn't happy at all, so I had to drive back across town just to show the credit card.. Very unacceptable but I managed to get the room.. Never again will I book using that hotel.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel room maintenance needs drastic improvement. Lamps were old and wonky. The sink was cracked. The toilet tank kept on running after flushed. The carpet was stained. The bathtub was old and poorly caulked. Overall you can tell some of tenants were dubious looking and welfare recipients.

Just a convenient location for my needs.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The way the elevator smelled like marijuana and the maintenance supplies where visual on my floor no door to cover or protect it as well as no real security we had cards but u didn't need them to get in the building from the outside, The Doors remained Unlocked. Plus no Breakfast offered.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

First room I was in but I got changed to a much nicer room. The other one was for a handicap person & U had to sit to take a shower. Very difficult to do

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Just an overall feeling that the place should be closed down and completely revamped. It's just old and not kept up well at all.

The I Hop restaurant attached to the place is the best thing going for the entire place. Food was good and service was excellent.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

That the carpets are old and do not reflect the pictures may be acceptable. However the rooms are not properly cleaned with dust in the corners and on lampshades. There is mold in the bathroom. There is dust in the noisy heaters. Paint is peeling. Staff are not very friendly or helpful. We had to pay for our one night-a refund would have been appreciated-and checked out as quickly as we could!

Absolutely nothing! Gave me the heeby jeebies. I could not even take my shoes off to walk barefoot on the carpets.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

The temperature must have been set at 50 degrees. the room was dirty the bed wasn't made there's stains on the couch and bed. It smelled EXTREMELY strong of cigarettes even though I requested a non smoking room. There was construction I had to walk through to get to my room and they were hammering for hours it kept me awake. The floor was gross and every corner of the room had dust or dirt in them. It was dirty. And freezing cold. I would not stay again ever

The bathroom was redone nicely.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

The staff was extremely rude. The night before checkout I had gotten Dairy Queen and ate it back at the hotel. I went to use the bathroom and when I came back (2 min later) I began to throw out the containers from the ice cream and saw a roach. When I checked out I kindly told the man at the front desk that they have a little roach problem and he had the audacity to deny it. I'm never the type to write reviews but his attitude was unacceptable. I'm from New York City I know what a roach looks like. And the woman at the front desk was no better (both of them were maybe in their 30s and Indian just in case the boss is wondering). You can't say anything to these people without them giving you attitude. If you don't like your job then quit. Don't take it out on the guests because one day youre gonna come across the wrong one. Anyways, they have roaches. I stayed in room 418. Paid over $200 for roaches. I should've took a picture since he was so indenial. I want to give this a 1 star just because of the good location but this website won't let me.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Room was dirty the heater makes a noise that it sound like a plane engine ready to take off . Bathroom was stained it was room 129. Feel after drive hrs. I have to sleep in a truckers room and pay lots for very poor place and also very dirty in the soroundings.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The place looks a little dirty,but I'm assuming it's because the place is under renovation.

Great location,access to lots of shopping stores,restaurants,etc

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Well I booked the room on booking .com and paid 99 bucks while I'm standing there they are charging 80 bucks. The first room was dirty and depressing , asked for another one !

• Standard King Room - Smoking

Room walls were dirty , bathroom had rust spots and stains on most surfaces, I didnt shower the night I stayed. Stains were everywhere.

Room walls were dirty , bathroom had rust spots and stains on most surfaces, I didn't even shower the night I s. Stains were everywhere.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

They are under renovation I'm guessing...the room we booked said balcony n they gave us a room with no balcony...then I complained so we got sent to another room that was for non smokers but it was very apparent someone had been smoking in the room

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Room was very dirty ... The floor was dirty..bed sheet were old and hard. The bed was very uncomfortable. You can feel the bed wires Inside the bed. Requested a balcony room ahead of time and we had a view of a close empty swimming pool. It's summer. We will never stay here again.

The price that's the only thing appealing.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Too expensive for what it is. The sign outside says they have rooms for $69.99 but one person tells you that is price if booked online and another tells you that is what weekly rate price is. Didn't ask a 3rd person

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

My room smelled of ammonia. The AC barely worked. The comforter was stained along with the walls. The shower had mold and soap gunk all over the tiles and grout. My sneakers were slipping on the the floor from whatever cleaner residue that was left. Not to mention there was bugs flying around my room. This place was gross and i would never stay here again.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Standard King Room - Smoking

Place was dirty..stains on the walls..holes in the carpet..weird smell...outside doors did not lock so I didn't feel safe being a young woman traveling alone..even the chain lock on my door was broken..the bathroom sink wouldn't drain..furniture looked like it went through a tornado..was definitely not worth almost 130 when I could have paid half that and stayed at a cleaner place where I would also have felt safer

They gave me an extra hour to check out free of charge

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

The room was disgusting. The bed linens were covered in other people's hair. I was praying we didn't end up with bed bugs!! The room was old and had a horrible smell. I have a one year old that needed a bath and the shower was covered in mold. The doors were slamming all night and were supposed to be locked; however, the lock didn't work and anyone could walk in and out. The room was not especially cheap and I could not believe we paid that price for such a dirty place.

The only good thing about this hotel was its location directly off route 3.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

the room was awful dirty cob webs on the ceiling and the worst thing a bug in the bed lamp shades very dusty. I will never use Howard Johnsons again.i would like a refund please

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room smelled like smoke. Not sure if from someone smoking in the room or from outside because window was open when we arrived. Elevator smelled like cat urine

Close to turnpike, fair price. Open 24 hours.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

We knew it's a very simple hotel and booked it for three nights, but when we arrived it was worse than our expectations and in the end of the day we stayed there just for one night. First of all we arrived couple hours before check in and asked receptionist to place our luggage in a baggage room, but he told us that there is no one and we had to pay extra for early check in, even it was couple hours earlier and they had a free room ready. And they were absolutely unwilling to help us, not even pretending. Second of all the hotel was very dirty and smelled bad, even if it is simple we wanted to have a clean bathroom which was not really. So we stayed there just one night and they returned us money for another two nights.

Hotel is in a good area

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

hallways had a strange smell to them , the room was poorly lit 2 lamps close together and non on the desk, carpets outside in the hall ways spotted with paint every where, I arrived late one night and used a side door that you should have needed to use your key to get in however non of that worked any one could get into the hotel at any hour. elevators were hot and smelled strange , cleaning crew left carts outside in hall way for hours in front of the same room with door open i lifted toilet seat to use that and long woman's hairs were stuck to the bottom of the seat that to me was the grossest of it all. room had a terrace how ever the sofa in the room was placed in front of the door so you could not go out side . I don't know if this is owned private or company owned but after this experience I will think twice or three times before i will ever book another Howard Jonson hotel . .this property needs to be worked over with a fine tooth comb to get it in shape.

not much

Small elevators

Comfortable rooms and nice neighborhood

Odor

Price

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Most of the furniture was damaged.

Loved how clean the bathroom was.

More Comfort, More View, Breakfast Area ok

No secure wifi.badly maintained

Privacy, clean && quiet

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Partying of neighbors and dirty

Next to ihop

Nothing at all

The whole expeiriance specially if next to an ihop

no water in the bathroom

There no additional blankets Place smelt and looked like was not vacuumed for a long while There was a strange smell in the room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Staff attitude is poor greeting for the first time bad no telephone personality

The place was smelling

• Queen Room - Smoking

Room could have been much cleaner

Room was extremely dirty!!

Room smelled. Old room.

The beds!

Halls very dirty, the hotel is very run down. Beds were very uncomfortable and old.

Facilities and room should be cleaner

Very short stay.

Save my box is very good!

The tv looked yellow.

You make my week guys! Thanks!

The mirror on the closet was not clean, the room smell

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

Nothing at all never never nasty over priced

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

bed was not comfortable and no outlets for charging equiptment

• Standard King Room - Smoking

the hair dryer wasn’t working. saddest thing ever.

LOVE THE BED! felt like my bed at home

Rooms need updating. Furniture missing drawer pulls. Room phone didn’t work. Entrance door lock to facility building doesn’t work.

Tub Faust kept falling off

good hoping staff,

should have been cleaner

Didn’t uphold my reservation

Convenient

The corridors could be more clean.

I enjoyed myself.

Very old & stufffy room

The staff was polite

Place was dirty and out dated with a 20 inch tv

Nothin

the service and the cleanliness

I didn't like this place

Loud TVs next rooms. Hallway smells bad

Tv

The hallways of the place had this weird smell ... my friend and I felt a little bit disgust by it

bad staff, very poor check in process. Place is not clean.

Place has good ample parking.