Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham North Bergen 2 stars

5.6

6.2

5.7

Not what I hoped for

Quite expensive for what it offers. Room did not seem very clean and breakfast was not as expected, less than a delicious one.

Location was good, we could get to NYC by bus in 25 min.

Awful
    • King Room - Smoking

This place was awful!! It’s dirty, smelly, old and nasty!! It does not have any of the things it says it has. The bed was hard. The curtains were dirty and falling apart. The walls were dirty. The rug was even worse than the walls. On top of all this, there was a drunk man trying to get into my room at 2:30am. With that being said of course there’s no security. I would never stay there again. They need to take the name of Howard Johnson off that disgusting place. I’ve been to other Howard Johnson hotels not one was like this. This should be called a motel. Not a hotel. Booking.com should take the place off its website. I never write reviews but I had to on this one!!!

Bed was surprisingly not a beat down mess.

Walls were absolutely filthy. Wallpaper was peeling in numerous locations. Carpet was long overdue for a change. Hard to see unless you are doing 5 mph to see it.

Bed was surprisingly not a beat down mess. Was comfortable enough for the one night stay.

Did not enjoy our time in the rooms et all

rooms smelled awful, found long hairs in towel, towels feel and look like rags. Did not used the towels weren't sure if they were clean or not. Bathroom floors, walls seem to sweat , had to keep wipng the floor so we wouldn't slip.

The front desk staff should have a training on custumer...

The front desk staff should have a training on custumer approach (service). There was a time I checked-out (june 15, 2018) and asked for a help to carry my luggage to the front desk as I have two big luggage and the location of the hotel is so steep and the frontdesk said that he cannot helped me and I have to carry the luggage by myself or call a taxi just to drop the luggage at the frondesk (that is a crazy advise)!!!

It wasn’t the worst but I wouldn’t return.

It was like a motel check in. Strange smell in the check in area. They also put a hold for the same amount as the room on your card.

The pillows were comfy

This hotel was disgusting.

The people who work there are so rude. When getting the new room they were so unappealing and unapologetic.

This hotel was disgusting. We asked to switch to a different room and there were bugs all over the place. The bed sheets were dirty and had holes in them. We asked for extra new sheets and air freshener because the room stank so badly. The bathroom was filthy and had hair all over the place. There were rat traps in visible places of the room. Furniture was falling apart.

One word HORRENDOUS!!

We made the mistake of thinking the room would be CLEAN and took our luggage in, the dresser had broken drawers, there was a dirty towel hanging in the wardrobe, a plastic bottle under the sofa bed, no sheets, blanket or pillows for it,they brought all but pillows and we had to make the bed ourselves. Then we found a cotton ball (?) with dried looking BLOOD between the sheets on one bed and the person who brought the sofa bed supplies took a tissue and removed it, he seemed to think he solved the problem but we told him we wanted the bed completely changed-he didn’t look to happy about that but he changed the bedding. Towels were inadequate, we waited till morning to call and there was no one to bring any for more than 1hr. A handicap room was requested, we were told it was one but it wasn’t, we made due. It was late, we were told we could move to another room but who was to say it would’ve been better. I let them know about the problems in the a.m. we got back late for our final night ordered delivery and began to get settled for the night looked over the problem areas and found no one removed the towel from the wardrobe and the bathroom still had the same hair underneath the vanity, and we had to make the sofa bed again. We waited till morning at checkout and asked for an adjustment on the bill, they only gave 10%for the 1st nt and wouldn’t adj the 2nd because we stayed-like we had much choice. The manager didn’t even come out to talk to me and stayed behind the office door! I told them I would contact the company office, will it help (?) we will find out. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone!

The location was convenient to our vacation destination and the breakfast was adequate.

The front desk staff was courteous.
    • King Room - Smoking

The bathroom was dirty, there was mold all over the shower curtain, mold on the ac, the carpet with ripped up and dirty, the paint in the room was ripped off in multiple places and clearly has had severe water damage. I was told Tv’s were not working in rooms but somehow the employee who had a room across from me had a working tv???? The picture is not a proper representation of the facilities at all it was disgusting and I will never stay there again, and furthermore I’m disappointed in booking.com for not making sure the properties they advertise are better than this. I feel bad for the staff because they’re very nice but doesn’t seem like the ownership gives a damn about the facilities, you can tell by how outdated and unkempt it is.

The front desk staff was courteous.

The hotel fit our needs but there were some things that we wished were better.

The room was cramped and we were right next to the street. The blackout curtains didn't block out all the light. I would check out the other hotels close by. They seemed newer.

The staff is nice. They do provide a simple breakfast. And they have a shuttle directly to New York that costs money. It was a cheap price for the area and we were really close to New York. There was a great Argentina restaurant close by.

Not worth the money

The dining area is small and it was almost impossible to get to the food. My room was located down a narrow hallway the was not air conditioned. The room was stucco walls with a prison like feeling. The room had one window with a view of you guessed the humid hallway. The bathroom was black tile which would be nice however it was very dark. There was also a door stop on the floor on your way to the shower or the toilet that was nearly impossible to miss kicking everytime you had to use the bathroom. My foot is still sore! There was someone working on a car in the parking lot. You also had to drive up this massive incline to get to the room. The fridge also had old soap bars under one side to keep it from rocking back and forth but it didn't help it being unsteady. The microwave also was on top of the unsteady fridge. I called for someone to unclog the toilet and they said it would be 15 to 20 minutes and took over an hour for someone to show up. I definitely would not pay the price of this room again. It should be rated more like a 2 star motel.

Check in was easy. The room was kinda clean.

Reasonable rate, fair comfort.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room wreaks of moldy wet carpet. The staff are responsive to my needs but a little smile could go a long way on how I perceived their attitudes. The shuttle service is useful but more expensive than Uber to the train station. In the number of travels I made worldwide and stateside, I find a pleasant front desk staff can tell how good the facility is. I might stay at this hotel chain again if there's nothing else.

Cheap rate.

location : easy access to shuttles for New York.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

water in shower had no pressure. lock on door was broken, tv remote didn’t work. at breakfast , female staff stood in front of breakfast area like a security guard. protecting the food pantry from vagrants. very uncomfortable.

location : easy access to shuttles for New York. Aside from staff member referenced below, the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating.

it would had been fine if there were no RATS!!!

There were RATS in my bed - all jumping in the night - that's the very problem. Otherwise, the rest was fine... What about to get reimbursed? Is it fear to sleep with rats? would you like it?

Old property with hygiene issues.

Old property with hygiene issues. Saw a rodent roaming around in the room. The cupboard was broken and blankets provided was in a such a state that it should have been discarded.

Not pleasant!

the service at the reception was poor as well as the breakfast in the morning.

I would not recommend this hotel. The smell in the room was not pleasant, the quilt had a lot of stains, there was hardly any warm water and the towels have black spots as they were weathered. The was no usb port in the room to charge our phone, and the reception was not very helpful. As our battery was dying and we needed directions on how to reach our destination, we asked the reception if she could guide us on which bus to take, but she was really not willing to help us. As only the next morning we found out that there was transport from the hotel to the city. The service was very poor and I would not recommend any one to stay at that hotel. Don't be faked by the name of the hotel "Howard Johnson". its no according to any standards!

Almost every motel I have stayed in has been nicer than this.

The carpet was quite stained, the bed spread was quite stained. The shower curtain rod was barely held up and caused shower water to get all over the bathroom. Worst of all.... I was overcharged by $30!

This was the cheapest place we found in New Jersey, in the place we were looking, but it was pretty pretty safe feeling. It was a fairly small place with nice furniture. Our bed was comfortable.

Not worth to stay at this place

There is nothing to like 😂

Nothing staff is full of attitude hallways woh dirty This hotel is not even worth for 1 star hotel. They will try to charge double.

It met our needs and it was just over night so it suited us fine.

Bathroom had an over abundant amount of hairs from I presume from prior guests. The place was small and rundown, however it was expected because that seems to be the expectations for cheap NYC accommodations.

The location and free parking close to city was very nice. From the reviews I had low expectations however for the most part it was better than I was expecting.

Close to NYC but in need of updates.

Very hard to get to, only one-way road after driving miles to make a u-turn. The room could have been cleaner. The continental breakfast is in no way “abundant.” The stairs and other concrete areas were aging and will trip you if you aren’t careful. The room was a bit dusty and the bathroom could have been cleaner.

Close to NYC. The staff was professional. The shuttle bus service was convenient. The coffee was hot and fresh. The made to order waffles were delicious. We ordered delivery food from a pizza restaurant (Amore) and Chinese food from First Wok and both were OUTSTANDING, well priced and DELICIOUS!!

The room was ok

The fridge wasnt working well had to throw out a couple of things for the kids ...wen ask to fix i waited very long nd no one changed it some the staff members are rude

The room was ok

I didn’t like much, to be honest.
    • King Room - Smoking

This Howard Johnson is a motel, not a hotel. The Hill is steep and it is truly annoying. They left old rags of towels from prior guests in the room, the disgusting floor, the stains in the bathroom & not to mention the cigarette burns in the comforter. Now, I am not picky. I don’t care about much. After all that, I still didn’t mind my stay. However? When I laid down and I was itching ALL night?!?! That’s when I had an issue. Please don’t come here. Please. I promise you. Pay an extra 50 and go to the Quality Suites across the street. Save yourself.

I didn’t like much, to be honest. It was affordable, that’s it.

Good staff, clean place, comfortable beds.

Good staff, clean place, comfortable beds. I had another reservation at another hotel which had terrible staff, ended leaving the place and making a reservation here. Will be returning.

There was a burn hole in the blanket on the bed.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was a burn hole in the blanket on the bed. The closet door was broken. The white towels and rags the came to our room were filthy and some were ripped There wasn't any hot breakfast. The location where hotel is located is very dirty. The TV channels are very limited. I would not stay there again.

It was worth it and we are very happy, hopefully we will get a better rate when we return.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The catering staff constantly walking in and out while you are preparing your breakfast and eating your breakfast , they could give the customers more space and freedom to enjoy what ever is the breakfast.

Yes, the breakfast could be a little better with some eggs thrown in and some bacon also would just be fine. All the same its good.

Fail

The room look like no one never used it in a long time it was so dusty and drity the bathroom needed more Cleaning to be done the sheets the microwaves was dirty thank god I always bring my own sheets. the Howard Johnson in newark nj that one I would go again I been there 3 times and every time its very clean .

I just like the locations that all.

It was ok for the price. I would have been very unhappy if I paid more and had the above complaints
    • King Room - Smoking

No hangers, no ashtray (this was a smoking room) tv too small and too far from bed, water pressure too low, only one towel per person,

Warm room, big bed

A few minutes car ride from NYC .

A few minutes car ride from NYC . Room was neat , staff friendly and decent breakfast options. Parking in my opinion is the best amenity for this property!

For the price well worth the stay I would recommend

Highway was real noisey no fault of Hotel but the bathroom fan was just as noisey

The stay was ok the room was great size and clean they did a great job everyday with clean sheets .. Bathroom was always clean ... Continental breakfest was as usual at most hotels fresh fruit and cerels waffles toast fresh coffee and they were keeping everything clean ... Would definately stay again

Very disappointing

Not getting what was offered ....reserved 2 KING BEDS....got 2 queen ...was told it was a advertising mistake ....front desk wasn't helpful at all

Was a good stay

The hill to get up to our room . Also the charge for a safe we didnt use nor ask for. Room smelled like pestiside spray on one side of the room.

Was only 15 mins from new york.

I watched the cleaning lady clean a room, she never changed...

I watched the cleaning lady clean a room, she never changed or replaced the comforter or blanket only the sheets . Totally skeeved me out. Also the carpets are very outdated . Very dusty. Has a smell... not ok for the pricing and for the “brand” of Howard Johnson’s

Good as a point for day trips to New York.

Cleanliness of a room could be much better. Very limited choice of breakfast products.

Good as a point for day trips to New York. Available bus shuttle to NYC for just 12$ is a good option!

Good quality for good price

We came from Newark airport and we didn't find it easy to get there by public transportation at night, so we had to take Uber.

- Located in Jersey City, but not far from NY. The hotel offered shuttle bus to NY for 7$. We used it once as it was convenient to board in front of the hotel and get off on Times Square. But later we found we can use public transportation for half the price from 10th Str and JFK Blvd bus stop. - Breakfast included in price. You can make waffel, have some sweets, toast with cheese or bagel. And of course coffe or tea and orange juice. Not a wide variety, but if you are not picky, than it is OK and you will enjoy. - Big and clean room with own bathroom, cleaned every day. Towels and toiletries included. There was also TV and good wifi signal. - Good ratio of price to quality.

The worst place
    • Queen Room - Accessible/Non-Smoking

Nothing All reviews under this place is not right It was the worst place very dirty very bad there is a bad smell , the women in the back office was not helpful all pictures and reviews aren’t right the bathroom is dirty there are some hair and dirty on the toilet , i ask for change the room but it still bad, i ask for extra bellow and blankets but they ask for extra payment! And they bring a very bad and dirty stuff and there also bad smell in all thing they charge me for a night that I didn’t stay

The worst place

Last resort if you need a place to stay.
    • King Room - Smoking

I woke up itchy all all over my body, after sleeping in the bed. The shower head was disgusting. The tub was stained and the people at the hotel were not very friendly when I asked about the quality of the room. There’s also no privacy and you can hear everything in the rooms across from you.

Thank you so much for my peaceful stay in there :)

Location is not so easy to reach by public transport. Furniture has old and broken parts, they might be renewed. There were some insects around, pest control can be performed. Lastly, price was a little much for long staying and when we thought the above points.

Staff was good. They were positive and helpful.

A place to rest my weary head.
    • King Room - Smoking

Depressing as heck. Brown everything. Wretched fluorescent lighting. Hard cement floor over carpet you didn’t want to walk on barefoot. . I ended up there very late after a trying day, and chose it because of the reasonable rates. I am not accustomed to hotels of this caliber, so was kind of freaked out.

Plenty of towels. Fairly comfortable bed. Air conditioner worked. HBO on TV. Staff was polite and accommodating.

Couldn't wait to leave the water for shower was hot though

The room was very compact not enough room for 2 people travelling with bags the room had a smell to it and the aircon extremely noise. Couldn't sleep with it on and couldn't open windie as ground floor.

Food ok but could have wider selection for someone who doesn't eat gluten.

Worst motel I have ever been too

The room location, bathroom etc. The bed sheets stunk so we had to use towels to cover during the first night. We immediately left the next morning

None. Extremely hated the place. I just parked the car there and rented another place in ny to stay

The room was comfortable.

The room has that smokey smell. We didn't get one of the nice rooms above but the room below where your car is at the mercy of whomever. The front desk people was a bit rude. I was hoping for one of the rooms above but I guess it was nice to have the privacy of "outdoor motel." We were five minutes late checking out of our hotel and the front desk woman tired to charge us more money. We fought that down and no we didnt pay.

The room was comfortable. The price was decent. It was a smoking room, which was cool but had that smokers smell in it. They didn't have air freshener which could've helped a great deal. But nice room. Comfy bed. It was huge.

not bad for what you pay, but definitely not the ritz.

- NOT DISABLED USER FRIENDLY AT ALL. There is a massive steep hill to walk up to get to your room which is actually in a separate building behind the building shown in the pictures. Incredibly bad for your knees and tiring, not to mention dragging your suitcases up there. - Poor cleanliness. There was a ball of someones hair in the towels and random flecks of fluff etc on them on more than one occasion, dirt on the bathroom floors. - shuttle bus from accommodation not very efficient. Delays and having to move onto another bus despite having already paid.

Fairly large room for the price that you pay for the accommodation. Breakfast was good. Many ways to get transport to NYC, we tested a lot! - The shuttle bus from the accommodation costs something like 8USD one way - Can take a taxi/uber to Liberty State Park and get a ferry from there (18USD, this includes the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty tour) and then take a ferry from the island to NYC - Take taxi/uber to Hoboken station/terminal and get the NY waterway for about 8USD pp. (this seemed the best and quickest route to get you into main NYC without having to deal with traffic. - Bus #125 from JFK boulevard (roughly 10 minute walk from accommodation) to port authority terminal in NYC (near times square) however this takes a while and also not the safest option when coming back at night.

Great location, free parking and very helpful staff.

No cons, very good value for its price

Great location, free parking and very helpful staff. Forgot some important things in the hotel , called back and the staff shipped it to me next day. Thank you so much!

Awfully bad!

Staff!!!rude, unethical as NEVER SEEN BEFORE . This woman from night shift Because if this bad experience I don't ever want to use booking.com ever!!

Bedroom was renew or something in the inside; however, awful outside

It was okay for sleeping, but I won't go there again
    • King Room - Smoking

How I was charged extra before I said something, the staff wasn't that friendly, and the hill to get up to the room I was in was awfully dangerous

That is was close to the city

The rooms were clean, nicely prepared.

I was put into the HOJO Express Inn, which is really in the direct proximity to a very loud, busy road. The building shown on the photos is obviously not for the booking.com customers: it's there but as I said I was put into a Motel like building. Very noisy, restricted chance to find piece and relax. The location is hard to reach with public transportation.

The rooms were clean, nicely prepared.

Miserable.
    • King Room - Smoking

I didnt like anything. It was a total waste of my money.

Nothing. The hotel does not represent the Howard Johnson brand. There were roaches and flying insects on the bathroom. The covers on the bed were hard and had a stale smell.

This place is a dump, and I have stayed at some pretty run...

This place is a dump, and I have stayed at some pretty run down places. The room smelled and when we complained the staff's solution was to give us a can of febreeze. One of the towels was dirty, even if it was clean the towel are so old and dry I wouldn't even use them to mop. Pillows were thin and when we asked for more (there were 4 of us) they provided one. I literally used my bookbag as a pillow to give me sometype of neck support. Our toilet paper wasn't refilled after the first day. There was a huge stain on the side of my bed. We didnt have a hair blow dryer and the ironing board was broken. All in all the area is safe and even though "you get what you pay for", this place isn't worth the price. I can understand certain things being run down, but there is no excuse for lack of cleanliness, that is simply lazyness and lack of care on the management.

Overall my stay was ok
    • King Room - Smoking

I was first given a dirty room. I then called front desk and nicely asked them to switch rooms, but theybsaid all other rooms were booked. I tehn called again and this time and this time demanded that them to switch me rooms or that i wanted my monwy back and they did with no hesitation

I love the loction and complimentary breakfast and wifi

Make your own waffles, juice and coffee for breakfast, the...

Make your own waffles, juice and coffee for breakfast, the room was clean and the staff was helpful. The shuttle comes every hour to take you into the city for a decent price and parking is included. I searched for a while and this was by far the best deal for a place to crash. There are a few fast food places and stores nearby as well but otherwise an industrial type neighbourhood

Hotel

The rooms were locat3d on top of a large hill away from the main lobby an shuttle onto the city which was ok but not good for people with difficulty walking

Friendly staff very clean rooms

worst hotel we have ever been in .WILL NEVER GO BACK

WE ARE RETIRED AND HAVE TRAVELED TO Scotland, England, Dominican, Cuba, Costa Rica Switzerland, Paris, Mexico, all over Canada and the USA .this has to be the worst hotel ever encountered. we booked for 5 nights 4 day total of $1199USD  with Booking.com. for 2 rooms that should have been the amount we pay in US funds right, !!! WRONG !!! Final Bill was $1395  total, that's $196 extra plus $17.50 USD  for the safe in the rooms on our credit card, they credited this amount back to us on checking out, and we just noticed it has been debited back onto our credit  card, AGAIN once we got home This is just a blatant rip off, Bookings.com should be looking into this hotel as they are ripping people off, as should Wyndham and the Howard Johnson Company having there name associated with this hotel is not a good thing  That is $213.50 in US Dollars   more than we had booked for with Bookings.com when we enquired about the discrepancy, they told us we had to get in touch with bookings,com my wife was cold so we asked for an extra blanket they wanted $20 cash we asked for a receipt they refused, so we asked them to put it on our credit card again they refused. Just trying to scam us out of $20 so we refused the blanket my wife slept with my jacket on top of her . you cant take an night tour in NYC after 8pm due to the last shuttle  bus leaves at 10pm back to the hotel from times Square Sunday to Thursday 11:00 shuttle Fridays and Saturdays only lady looking after the breakfast bar never once cleaned a table while we were there people cleaned up there own trash but she didn't wipe down the table once, they were all sticky. it was disgusting so all in all we were overcharged and gouged out of $213.50,USD I will be sharing this post on trip advisor for us this has really put us off Howard Johnson and the wyndham organization and we also have a wyndam card Not sure we will ever use a Howard Johnson again that's how bad this experience was

Nothing we liked all 6 of us were very disappointed in this Howard Johnsons

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Not a good place to stay if cleanness is your top priority

The bathroom was dirty that was the most important issue and the room was smelly ,the restaurant staff was rude the toilet flush was broken and look was dirty I will never recommend this if u cleanses is your priority the over all stay experience was unpleasant

The shuttle service was great from this location I mean pick and drop off to new york

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

I like the price and the included breakfast

I did not like how the staff wanted to clean the room early in the morning and how they opened the door without knocking.

I like the price and the included breakfast

New York proximity with affordability!

Price of shuttle bus from hotel is 7$/person city bus is 3.25$ co.fort of hotel is great. We only go to the hotel to sleep. The breakfast is great...bagels, toast, fruit, waffle machine.

We've been coming to this hotel for the last 4 years....around 3 - 4 times a year for the weekends, and love the place. Only down side is thAt we have to walk up the hill to take the bus to get to NY. The hill is really steep!!!

nice bed, location was super convenient to newyork.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

thin walls and right on the highway so not the quietest place no wifi- i forgot to ask but was surprised.

nice bed, location was super convenient to newyork. subway and wendy restaurants just up the street a short walk away.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Unless you want roaches

Bugs. Did I mention the baby cockroach thing? How about the giant water bugs? We kept our clothes and suitcases in the car so we didn't get them infested. We had 2 separate reservations and they cancelled our cards in the middle. The staff was extremely rude. We are leaving even though we are going to eat the cost of a room because we couldn't stand it there.

Could be better for what I paid for

Better service transporting your luggage from concierge to your room, there wasnt any at all, had to climb up 48 steps with luggage and no help. Terrible breakfast, should not have anything at all instead of what they have.

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Colder inside rather than outside? Never Again.

So I traveled to nj with my husband and our two children. Our 5 year old and our 1 year old. The non smoking room given to us smelled just like ciggerettes.The room was colder than the actual winter temperature outside. I mean it was freezing in there. The " heater " did not pass 65 an employee actually came to check.We were offered to change our room which we did but, still same result freezing. We left qith our children and stayed up the st for the dame price and it was a way better expierence. I wouldnt stay there again nor recommend it.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Free breakfast
    • King Room - Smoking

Found mouse droppings on the back of the mattress and a used feminine product..i found it after my stay when I was making sure I didn't leave anything behind..

Free breakfast

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

The maids did a nice job.
    • King Room - Smoking

Things in general were wore out .stains on the carpetmay have been blood. I stayed away from that corner of the room .wall could really use a fresh coat of paint. Not enough room in breakfast area .no place to sit and eat .i even tried going different hours .always full. Location was good.

The maids did a nice job.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

On the whole good experience.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

1. Cleanliness was not sufficiently good. One day the room was not cleaned and I had to call them repeatedly to do it. 2. The staff needs to enhance their response and customer attention.

1. Bed was fine. 2. breakfast was fine. 3. The best thing was the shuttle to NT that helped save considerable transport cost to NYC.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

TV worked good
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

It was outdated and not very clean. Pillows smelt like cat pee. Housekeeping carts looked like a homeless cart. At check in cards were declined (multiple guests). Then we were all double charged (fixed but still a hassle).

TV worked good

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Don't book this hotel! Awful

Your website advertised free shuttle service. The hotel charged us $7 per person each way. The hotel lied about free shuttle service when I called them, lied about near subway station when there was no subway, electric hair dryer fell off from wall while in use, management calls you to checked out at 11am when check out is at 12noon. Mgt. turned off tv even when there was people left finishing their blast. On heat, only high which gets too hot or nothing! Will never book again this hotel or your website! Beds were saggy!

My review for this hotel is not 2.5stars but zero stars.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Hojo delivers good value.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

The hotel is built on a hill so it is not suitable for anyone with a disability or health consideration.

Good value for your money. Nothing fancy but clean. The shuttle from the hotel to downtown NYC is very convenient.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

SECOND ROOM THEY PROVIDED FOR US WAS BETTER CLEANER AND SMELLED A WHOLE LOT BETTER.
    • King Room - Smoking

THE 1ST ROOM WAS VERY OLD NEEDED A PAINT JOB. HAD HOLES IN THERE QUILT. AND THE ROOMED SMELLED.

LIKED THAT THEY CHANGED OUR ROOM FROM THE 1ST ROOM THEY GAVE US. SECOND ROOM WAS MUCH BETTER.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Unsettling stay

i felt unsafe as the door faced outwards. It would have been nice if the hallway leading to the rooms were enclosed. Felt everybody hanging around knew exactly what room you stayed in. For a woman travelling alone - it was kind of unnerving. The carpets also felt dirty. The place generally needs updating. Wouldn't return by choice.

The bed was comfy and they cleaned the bathroom daily.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

It worked. Perfect for sleeping

It was perfect for sleeping bed was comfortable it was a small room but clean the sheets were very clean that's the one thing I really look for is unstained and pure white sheets air worked great I would stay there again. The price was not bad but i expected better for the price I paid.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Staff was friendly.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

The room was y very clean Tilley seat needs to be replace!shower curtain was ripped tub wasn't really clean!!!sheets had stains.other guest had to much noise playing car music loud.

Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Cheap place to stay with good access to Manhattan

In a scruffy area, didn't feel particularly safe when returning at around 11pm. No problems though.

Cheap place to stay with good access to Manhattan

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Not worth the value I paid. Not going back to this place.

facility is poorly maintained. bath tub has rusts. faucet is not secured and moving. carpet looks dirty. it was a non smoking room but smells cigarette. privacy sign was not followed/respected.

location and big room.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

They cleaned the room every day.

The room was rather small and everything in it seemed old and worn out. The air-conditioning was poor.The breakfast was no good either.

They cleaned the room every day. There's a shuttle to and from Manhattan that runs a few times a day(keeps its schedule MOST of the time) .

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

I guess you get what you paid for

I didn't like that the sheets were never changed. My cell phone fell behind the head board and when I moved the pillows to reach for it. I see dust and what looks like other people hair. Disgusted after that I pull the sheets back and find so many stains on the sheets.

I liked the price for the stay.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Terrible place.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The building was old, stained and rundown. The staff gives you the impression you are bothering them. There were large clearly visible stains on the wall and bed. Within five minutes of us behind there the housekeeper used her key and just opened the door on is without knocking first. When I showed her the issues she accused me of making the mess saying it was cleaned earlier. The tub had rust stains in the bottom of it and the shower rod was held in by a drywall screw that was loose, so when you pull the curtain closed it almost falls down.

The convenient location to a subway terminal was the only good thing. A ten minute drive to it and a very cheap parking lot. But the location of the hotel itself was terrible and hard to get to if you are not familiar with the area.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Dissapointed!.

The Staff (especially the front desk). The night shift guy was supposed to make sure we had a Taxi @ 7:20 am in order for us to not loose a N.Y. tour. I went myself in person to talk to him not just once but twice, to make sure he will not forgot about it. Next day it was 7:30 am and taxi was not there. I called the reception and the morning shift guy said that apparently the night shift guy forgot to cal and therefore he called at that time. Taxi was there @ 7:45am. We almost missed the tour, had it not been for the driver who knew certain shortcuts and we had to run almost 1 mile thru traffic (which was why we wanted the taxi to be early in order to avoid a problem like this). Thank God we reached the bus right when it was just coming out, but not before my girlfriend have a broken hip from running so much, which to date is still in pain and will probably have to go to the hospital to be checked.

I like the fact that the room have the basic needs.