Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Suffern 2 stars

17 North Airmont Road, Suffern, NY 10901, USA

#2 of 2 hotels in Suffern

Awful stay. Will not ever stay again thanks.

The website & the inn were to absolutely different check out times & the woman at the desk really almost did not work with me to have the anticipated check out time. As well the smoking area is beside the main entrance which fumes he entire establishment with the horrendous smell considering all rooms have a non smoking sign. Means nothing if the stench still reaches all & every single room. & the complimentary breakfast receives no compliments from me other than the ability to not damage high fructose corn syrup juice. In short meal offered < gross.

The bed alone looked the the images advertised & they had optimum. (Cablevision)

Despite my dislikes, I would like for improvement next time I’m there.

The smell of reception area as well as room had a smoke smell. Had to buy air freshener for my room. Bathroom wasn’t clean to my liking. The breakfast could be more interesting, there was no fruits .

The bed was comfy

Value for money. Comfort

First impression wasn't very pleasant, the lobby is full of sofas and a t.v. so seems random people use the lobby, felt a bit shady when we arrived at 9pm... The room view was an old truck with cargo container. the room smelled a bit like smoke

location near highway, huge room with very comfortable beds, microwave, fridge, amenities like shampoo conditioner coffee machine coffee a big flat tv wifi. Clean bathroom and beds. The breakfast was fair in quality and options. Th staff was helpful.

Good value for money

There was nothing we didn't like during our stay.

Comfortable beds Good breakfast Facilities in the room i.e. coffee machine, iron and ironing board, TV.

I stayed in a room that is supposed to be non-somoking but...

I stayed in a room that is supposed to be non-somoking but upon entering the room, cigarette smoke filled the room. I could not sleep the first night i felt as if the smoke would suffocate me.

We stay a this hotel to attend my nephews wedding and we had...

The only thing i was a little thrown off by was the fact the the bathroom sink was not in the bathroom its at the entrance of the room. Not a big inconvenience but you do have to brush and wash your face in the open. The plus is that the area has a big counter space.

We stay a this hotel to attend my nephews wedding and we had a very comfortable stay. The double queen rooms are very spacious and cozy. The bathrooms are updated.

too fast
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Had no major complaints. location was close to everything, shops, food etc.

breakfast was good and well stocked, had a nice variety coffee and juices were good .

A nice place if you are looking for a basic hotel.

Bathroom is small. It's a very basic outdated hotel. With some minor updates.

The hotel had what you would look for. Fridge. Safe. Microwave. Etc. Location is great.

Will never return. Ever.

Staff was unprepared and confused, room and common areas were filthy, elevator was a sauna, we got bug bites in the room from who knows what, toilet constantly backed up, room smelled musty and as if recently had cigarettes.

Great location. The firm bed was nice.

We asked for new towels but we didn’t get them .

We asked for new towels but we didn’t get them . Not enough soap, The worst thing was that there was water leak from the upper bathroom to our bathroom early in the morning, Unfortunately we had to cancel our last night in that hotel. When I checked in the Clerk and wanted to charge me more than what was estimated on the reservation online.

Wonderful visit will.stay again!

The elevator was acting a little funny and we were concerned about getting stuck in it but that didn'happen. It worked fine.

The price was great, the breakfast was awesome and the lady working the breakfast bar was very good and kept things filled and available.

Though near a very active highway, no outside noise.

I don't have anything negative to say. I've been here a few times and have no complaints.

Though near a very active highway, no outside noise. All staff are friendly and courteous.They offer an excellent breakfast, homade waffles are the best!

Everything was great about this place , friendly staff, it...

The bed was stuff but amazing room size and everything and better WiFi to reach the back building. But amazing place

Everything was great about this place , friendly staff, it was very clean and I felt at home while on vacation.i love this place I didn’t want to leave will be back soon

Disappointed with how much I paid compared to how much I got out of the stay.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel lobby and hallways smelt very strongly of smoke, stains on parts of the bedding, very outdated, jacuzzi tub not as clean as it should have been. Breakfast wasnt the best.

The payment process was easy and staff was helpful with needs and fixing issues with electronics.

The hotel is old and needs renovation!

The hotel is old and needs renovation! The maintenance of the hotel is poor, the elevator gets stuck every minute, the cleanliness is weak, breakfast is not something. I would not go back to this hotel. לא מומלץ

I've stayed at this HoJo several times in recent years.

I've stayed at this HoJo several times in recent years. Comfortable, immaculate, nice breakfast, friendly staff and perfect location for trade fairs st the nearby Rockland Community College.

The smell in my first room.

The smell in my first room. I couldn’t sleep & had to switch to a different room. The breakfast 😪. And check out time was different than what’s on booking.com @11am

I will not be staying here again.

Came across a bed bug in my bed, left it & got the person on duty to come see — he changed my room but they refused to accommodate & return me my $ for one of the 2 nights I stayed there. House keeping never came. Shower didn’t go to full power when on shower mode.

My go to hotel when traveling in the area.

No complaints

I have no complaints regarding this facility. I've stayed here on more than one occasion and never been disappointed. The staff is very friendly. It's become my go to hotel when traveling in the area.

Like I said before overall you cannot find a better place to stay located that close to NYC!!!!

Sometimes the elevator can be load of your in a room too close.

I really appreciate the overall friendliness of all the staff they all do a great job top to bottom. I would personally like to thank the cleaning staff. They always do an outstanding job making the bed perfect and cleaning up the whole room that is so nice to return to after a long days work being away from home.

The room was nice, the bed comfortable.

While I was there, we had a snow storm which left very deep (at least 10-12 inches) of snow on & around my car. Whoever did the snow removal just plowed behind the cars & left a large snow bank. I am disabled, and clearing off my car took me about 30 minutes because I had to keep stopping to sit down and use my inhaler & start breathing right again. After my car was cleared off I went inside & asked at the desk if there was anyone who could shovel out in back of my car so I could get out. I was told that there was nobody who could help me even after letting them know I am disabled and parked in a disabled parking spot. There was a shovel just outside the door & I was told I could use it to shovel myself out. Shoveling took me another 30 minutes because the snow was just so heavy to lift. In the end, I was able to get my car out, but not before incurring quite a bit of pain & breathing problems. There should have been someone to shovel out behind the cars, especially in the disabled parking area. If not someone from the hotel, then maybe someone from the plowing company. There's no reason for me having to do it myself. In addition to my asthma, I am recovering from a concussion which includes muscle spasms in my shoulders, neck & upper back. I was unable to take my medication for my muscle spasms because I had to drive 4 hours home. So I had to sit in the car, driving, with a great deal of pain. I think a system needs to be put in place so nobody, especially disabled people, has to do any snow removal aside from clearing off their own car.

The room was nice, the bed comfortable. Very clean.

Okay

Hotel charged me twice , tv was broken on screen could barely see tv. Breakfast was horrible .. water pressure was bad in the shower

Bed was comfortable.

Very good place to stay for the business traveler.

Not being a picky traveler I can honestly say I found nothing about the hotel I didn't like.

My second time staying at this hotel. Both stays were excellent. The front desk staff is very friendly. Breakfast was more than I expected. I would recommend this hotel to any business traveler.

Last minute needed a hotel, and thanks to Howard Johnson @Suffern, it was awesome!!

Nada

The facilities, personal areas, and entire location in general was perfectly clean, and if it wasn’t, or if something broke or anything, their staff were up to solve the problem in minutes.

Nice place for our needs.

Everything was fine for our needs. Disappointed Friendlys restaurant on same property was closed. Overall for value good spot.

Good variety for breakfast. Ease of Check in and check out. Close to many restaurants and stores.

Good location for car travel. Very comfortable & clean. Convenient to shops, main roads.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Maybe more fresh fruit at breakfast.

Room was very clean, comfortable, good size, including beds. Location was good for food shopping and eating. Quiet considering it was close to major roads for car travel.

Good value! Pleasant stay!

I didn't realize that there was breakfast at the hotel and by 9:30 when we were leaving, breakfast was over.

It was clean and comfortable. The mattress and the pillows were just great - better than in 4 star hotels... can you tell me what brand they were...

Easy, simple.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No hot tub in the room we had like stated, no breakfast options for vegans and the breakfast location was very crowded, staff wasn't the friendliest.

Bed was comfy.

The place smelled of marijuana the whole time I told the...

The place smelled of marijuana the whole time I told the staff and they told me they would spray the area nothing was done about it and I was traveling with a child

Poor.

When my partner and I entered our room, there was a strange smell. The arm chair had been clawed by a cat or some kind of animal. The bathroom was never cleaned and there was a red stain in the tub and a dirty wash cloth hanging from the shower curtain. Disgusting.

A nice evening.

it was fine. No problems.

Staff was helpful when I asked for a better pillow, and responded very fast when kids were in the hall by my room making to much noise in the middle of the night.

Don't do it!

The attached Friendly's Restaurant was condemned and we had roaches in our room. It was so dirty and disgusting. Slept in our clothes on top of the bedding and left the next morning as quickly as possible. Wouldn't even bring our overnight bags into the room

Very uncomfortable bed and not clean, would never stay there again.

Bathroom was filthy, and when asked to be cleaned, service came in wetted a rag in bathroom sink and wiped off toilet! Was only cleaned and sanitized after hours and repeated attempts by myself.

Fair.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The toilet really smells bad of urine odor. Tried to clean it but it still stinks. I even both a powerful urine odor eliminator but it didn't work. I just have to overcome the odor by air fresheners.

Room is spacious, close to supermarkets, shopping, near the interstate. Breakfast is satisfactory.

Very pleasant & the location was great for resuming our travels.

The bathroom exhaust fan was very noisy. It would have been nice to have some tissues supplied in the room. Both items were noted by the staff at check out.

The bed was very comfortable & the a/c was quiet (yeah) & efficient.

Never again

The bathroom ceiling leaked The beds were covered in plastic mattress covers and made them so hot Sheets were terrible quality Overall very low quality.

Some updates to the property in bathrooms and the linens on beds were nice looking

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

I was there for only one day I wish I could stay for few more days.
    • Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The place itself and the location

The hotel is very nice everything is so convenient the employees are very nice and helpful if I have to go to New York again Howard Johnson will be my first choice I give you guys a five stars the location is awesome it's a great place for anyone to stay and I thank you.

Cleaning staff are the stuff of nightmares here; otherwise fine

Cleaning staff literally shouting to each other from room to room. Woke us up on a morning we badly needed sleep to recover from flights. Breakfast reflected quite a lot of penny inching.

Rooms were comfortable, nicely designed.

It met our needs at acceptable price.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Ceiling leaked. Repairs needed. Mattress broken down. Place is shabby and needs an injection of money. But we have been in worse motels. It met our needs.

Convenient

Spend $50-$60 more and stay at Crowne Plaza

Enough said with dead bugs on the floor. Sorry for no photos of bugs, but we had just finished 12 hours of travel and were best.

The hardest part about staying in this part of NY state that is if you do not spend at least $150 or more a night, you are going to get a very poorly cleaned and shabby room. This room had dead bugs on the carpet and other people's hair on the counter and in the towels. It was a one night stop over, so we just dealt with it. I would never stay here again and would pay extra to stay at the Crowne Plaza across the street which is absolutely spotless. I didn't talk to the front desk staff about anything and we certainly didn't eat from the breakfast offering in the morning.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Never again.

Accommodations were barely passable. Not one of the staff was friendly. Not a smile. Not a thank you. Not an "I'm sorry". Second night the bed looked made, but no sheets. I had to go get sheets at front desk and make it myself.

Good and convinient stay

The room and bathroom were clean. The bed was comfortable. &their breakfast was good too. &the staff was helpful. Also the location of the area is very convenient close to everything.

Will never stay here again even if it was free

That I had 2 rooms booked and was only giving one because I only had one conf#. Had to pay more money from what I was quoted

The location was great for where we needed to attend a funeral

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

A Familiar Stay

Our room was non-smoking but still reeked or smoke. The staff can be much more friendly.

The comfort of the bed and the closeness to our next destination.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Won't return
    • Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Breakfast was horrible. Had issues checking in. Tried to use the 1 computer provided and it didn't work then when trying to restart it a staff member came out yelling at us. Toilet seat in bathroom was stained. Mirror was broken at the bottom. Housekeeping came and wasn't going to clean or replace our towels until I asked. Requested a nonsmoking room which I was put in but the entire hallway smelled of cigarettes

The room I had was very clean, better than expected.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

I didn't like that the side doors to get into the building are always open and you don't need a key to get into them, anyone could walk in. I also didnt like how small the breakfast room was.

The room I had was very clean, better than expected. The breakfast was pretty good, they had more than just cereal and bagels. The staff was pretty friendly as well.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Great location and easy to get around area.

Although the front desk staff was nice. The one staff member that worked the breakfast room was not. It was as if they hated being there. And forget about exchanging pleasantries. They couldn't be bothered with speaking or replying to anything you said.

We liked that everywhere we went in the hotel it felt, looked and smelled clean.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Unwelcoming and not accommodating.

Mildew in the shower and water constantly dripping despite turning off water as much as possible. They charge $30 extra for early check in and never mentioned this until check-in when it's too late to cancel with refund. I worked nights at a local hospital and got the room to sleep during the day between shifts to avoid driving a far distance while tired. Since I had to pay the extra $30, I decided to sleep the following morning until checkout which according to the website was 11-1p. I was abruptly woken up by a phone call from the front desk and loud banging on my door by housekeeping both at 11:05a.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Fair for price

The breakfast was awful. Eggs and sausage were overdone. Waffle maker produced bad tasting waffles. They had options for breakfast. But I couldn't eat anything else after trying the eggs, sausage & waffle. I wasn't expecting a 5 star breakfast. But from my experience, most continental breakfast I've had were much better.

The location was great. It was near family we were visiting. They had a great bagel place down the street, practically next door.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Great location that was easy to get to!

It did not seem to be clean. The carpeting and décor were shabby and worn out. The buffet breakfast was skimpy, and the eating area and equipment were not clean.

Great location that was easy to get to!

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

This place makes Abu Ghraib look like the 4 seasons

The person checking me in could not figure out how to use a credit card forcing me to get cash. The card work fine across the street at the gas station. Room smelled odd unclean and no fresh fruit for breakfast

Nothing I will not ever go back

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

You get what you pay for

The breakfast was terrible, and the staff could have been a bit friendlier. However considering how cheap the room was I can't complain too much.

Stopover, good value for money

Good stopover with laundry facilities

Na

my stay was quite satisfactory
    • Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Maids didn't change linen daily

Cleanness, 24 hour coffee and variety of choices for breakfast.

I liked the price but the bathroom was small and the room...

I liked the price but the bathroom was small and the room had an order when you 1st go in. I sprayed Lysol and it was better.

Good location.. Comfortable. If you are looking for a good price not much hotel. This is the one.

Bathroom is small. It's a bit outdated the style.

Bed where comfortable. Room size is nice.

Close to expressways, fairly clean, good customer service.

The bathtub has a permanent stain and not a fresh smell

Close to expressways, fairly clean, good customer service.

The staff were very friendly and helpful

The smell

The staff were very friendly and helpful

The breakfast area could use some improvement.

The breakfast area could use some improvement.

Nice friendly hotel. Would go there again.

It was convenient to the event was attending. The room was clean and the desk friendly.

Great location and price for my trip
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Loud laundry nearby and clanky heater

Staff was very friendly and helpful. A 3 hour breakfast window was perfect. Coffee all day

The room

Tubs had stains breakfast awful just wasn’t pleasant

Tubs had stains breakfast awful just wasn’t pleasant

Great time

No indoor pool

I liked the location of the hotel and it's easy access to the highway and local stores

Worst front desk ever.
    • Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Dirty and staff was not helpful at all.

Very close to where I needed to be.

Smell of smoking rooms filled hallways

Smell of smoking rooms filled hallways

Everything was so clean and nice.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was so clean and nice.

Convenient stoppover for journey. Met our expectations admirably!

Continental breakfast provided but room small and very busy.

Room was comfortable

Smoking smells in front of building

Smoking smells in front of building

Room was cheaply updated with water stains and peeling paint, stains on counter. Not spick&span. Bat

Overpriced for quality and very noisy unappealing window/view

Good check out time. Desk service ok.

Ok enough place but for the quality, it should've been about $30 a night cheaper.

Was kind of run down. Our floor smelt like weed.

It was convenient to my scheduled activities.
    • Deluxe King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

They put me in a room next to the noisy elevator which kept me up half the night but they gave me a different room the next night.

The room was fine.

Good value for the price.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No closet . Light didn't shut off in bathroom.

Size of room