Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Virginia Beach 2 stars

5.6

5.9

Disgusting!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I dont like sleeping with cockroaches and bugs all over the bed. When I went down to tell the staff there he told us it was due to the weather and that maintenance and management doesnt get there until 9am. Mind you if was 330am when we got there. Exhausted we slept in a parking lot in our car.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

There was lots of roaches in our room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was lots of roaches in our room. I was on the second floor and on my last day staying there they started working on the roof early in the morning and we were not able to sleep. Then when i was going out to my car the guys working at the roof started staring at me and my daughter and talking to each other like we couldn’t hear what they were saying. I told that to the lady at the reception, she apologized and said “no one else completed about that”, well thats not my problem. I went to relax and enjoy with my family.

Bad.
    • Business King Room

Front desk associate barely spoke English which was disappointing when trying to understand why he was asking my credit card twice, copying it, and telling me he was charging my card when the charge had already come out of my bank account. Place was filthy. There was food in the refrigerator, it was obvious the floor had not even been vacuumed. There were bugs everywhere. We used half a can of Lysol on the place just to make it thru the night.

It was convenient for our travels and the AC worked pretty good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds severely sagged in the middle, too many outside lights that shined thru window and door crack. Bathroom was old; tub wobbled and old, faucets were very loose and ready to come out of the wall. Water stains on ceiling. TV services were turned off by 7 AM (ridiculous)! Could hardly understand the Hotel Manager, very strong accent. Tried turning us away b/c we arrived after 6 PM when we already had a confirmation for arriving between 7-8 PM.

It was convenient for our travels. A/C worked great.

This hotel is dirt and over priced! With rude staff and unclean rooms
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

From the actual facilities to the staff was horrible! We had to check in by 4pm but our hotel confirmation wasn’t sent until 4:36pm! We never received an email saying our reservation was cancelled but when we checked in we had a hard way to go! You couldn’t get into the lobby after a certain time, the staff knocked on our door early to see if we were still there. The hotel room was disgusting and the bathroom was dirty! The sheets looked like they weren’t changed and the tub looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in months! When we were checking out we seen a worker laying out blankets in the grass.

Nothing it was horrible

DIRTY HOTEL

Everything was horrible! The rooms we were given by the man at the front desk were room number 103. & 210 . The rooms smelled musty as soon as we walked through the door. The bed sheets had stains on it. The tile floor felt like it hadn’t been swept. The bathroom tub looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in months. The tub had yellow scum every where & pieces of hair everywhere . I had to go out the nearest Walmart & buy cleaning products & clean the tub myself. The beds have BED BUGS! While at our stay at this hotel I woke up & felt very itchy & notice I had bumps all over my arms & my back & on the side of my stomach. THE bumps formed in a row such as bites from bed bugs. The next night I had trouble sleeping & notice bed bugs on the bed , I killed a few of them & when I squished the bed bugs fresh red blood squirted out them, I know for a fact they were feeding off my blood. I took pictures also. Overall my experience at this hotel was horrible. I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone to stay even one night at this hotel. Obviously the house keeping staff aren’t doing their jobs. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

Awful, bed bugs!! Awful manager
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

****Bed bugs!!!!**** Woke up with bed bug bites!! Found four in our bed after inspection. Brought them in a cup to the manager who told us “bed bugs are a part of the hotel business. They don’t come out in our cleaning process”. And offered us NOTHING for our compensation. Pushed all responsibility for a refund to Booking.com and when I called them, they said it was her responsibility. Had to fight tooth and nail for a refund. When one was finally agreed upon, our paper print out said one number, my confirmation email said another and I have a pending charge on my bank account for something else. This “manager” has no place in the business is hospitality with her poor attitude towards someone with nearly 40 bed bug bites. Will be pursuing this issue further with the health department!! Booking.com has been so helpful in standing up for us in our awful stay and will be working with me to get back the amount I am rightfully owed. Stay far far away from this sad excuse for a run down hotel.

Would never go back again! You get what you pay for....

We booked a separate room for my mom she has red stuff on the walls that dripped down the wall. She didn't have shelves in her fridge and worst of all before bed she found a roach crawling around her room. My room still had coffee in the coffee pot and a napkin shoved in the peep hole on the door

Not far from beach

Okay, clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

The bathroom light seemed to have a short. It kept going off and on. The refrigerator temperature could not be regulated and everything got frozen. I could not get my military or senior citizens discount. 😥

For older hotel it was clean and bed were comfortable.

• Standard King Room - Smoking

The room wasnt clean when we checked in at 2 am we had to clean our rooms. They would change the rooms nor did they discount them there is no swimming pool and the rooms are run down. We never go back

The fact that we didn't get killed while leaving the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

My friend and I had an awful experience with this property, we paid & booked and was only 20 minutes away and once we entered the hotel the clerk told us "sorry we are booked already"...My friend and I looked at one another in disbelief, we stated that we had just booked, the clerked looked at us as if we were lying, we showed him our confirmation email, he looked at us as if we were speaking a foreign language. I will never book at this nasty looking hotel with complete unprofessionalism again EVER.

The fact that we didn't get killed while leaving the parking lot.

Annoying
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Even though the beds were comfy, about 10 minutes into my stay I saw about 5 roaches and had to immediately put my bags in my car and walk back and forth to the car to get outfits and what not to make sure I brought none home. No one gave us extra towels and wash cloths during our stay, I called and asked for more and they said okay, we got nothing.

Check In was easy, beds were comfy

This hotel is awful & the staff is even worse. They tried charging me for 3 nights when I stayed 2, after they cancelled my room when I was promised it wouldn’t be. The staff doesn’t know what they’re doing. Our shower didn’t drain, our ac soaked the floor, the bathroom light never worked. Do not stay here

Horrible
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff was rude, my booking was cancelled without prior knowledge, and i was give a smoking room when I specifically had a non-smoking room booked.

There was not much to like.

best birthday weekend

they had no pool and the lady at the front desk at checkout wasn't friendly

the location was perfect....I had easy access to everything, and didn't have to drive far to get it

Do not think the carpet was vacuumed the whole time I was...
    • Business Double Room

Do not think the carpet was vacuumed the whole time I was there! I left a couple pieces of paper on the carpet and it was still there all week! Also on the side walk there was a empty condom package!

Overall it was for overnight the hotel had a lot of flaws. But it made due
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

My children was locked in the room and at took maintenance people a while to get in the room. The key couldn’t get them in the room. Room smelled like someone just smoked some weed in there. The toilet tissue rolls was broken and the shower looked like they did not clean it

The reason for booking the hotel served its purpose

The bathroom was small. I didn't get up to go to breakfast at morning however I was told the night before it was just bagels and coffee

The purpose of the trip was to go to Peabody's in Virginia Beach we stay one night just to not have to drink and drive it served its purpose.

Staff was friendly and attentive. Great value for a good room.

Shower did not look clean. "Continental breakfast" was severely lacking substance.

Great distance from Chic Beach, very close to everything in town.

Worst hotel I ever stayed at! Highly recommend NOT staying here!
    • Business King Room

My card was charged @ 1:00 day of check in when I stated I wanted to pay cash when I checked in. I asked for a non smoking room and the room reeked of cigarette smoke and there was burnt marks on the tub. The room was not fully cleaned from the previous people that stayed there before me as there were dried flowers on the floor. I will NEVER stay there again and will NOT recommend this hotel! The breakfast was pitiful. The front desk lady was extremely rude!

NOTHING! VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Will never stay there again or book via booking.com
    • Business Double Room

Smell of the room, Bathroom wall paint peeling off. Clerk could not process my check out one (1) day early and asked that I contacted booing .com for refund policy. I was told that I would be charged for checking out early. Unbelievable.

The beds that’s it!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room had a bad smell. The carpet was super wet coming into the door. The coffee pot was filthy and the toilet won’t stop running.

The beds that’s it!!!

No more HoJo for me..at least not this one!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The lights were burned out, soda machine put out HOT sodas...the clerk said it wasn't the hotels responsibility...I told her it would cost them a customer..she gave me $2 for the soda...we booked for two nights..only stayed one....also..still no record of our stay on my Wyndham points program...no more hojo for me ..very disappointed..I want my Wyndham points and I want a refund on the night I paid for but did not stay...customers deserve better!.Period!

Convenience to restaurants...that's it!

The room was Nice and easy to locate.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We were charged for an extra night of stay, but we only stayed one night so that was weird, I do not understand why this happened.

The room was Nice and easy to locate.

When I got there the first room looked down but once I...

When I got there the first room looked down but once I looked under the covers it had bed bugs and roaches. Do they moved me into another room which the sink was clogged and it still had roaches.

was an experience
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the room #161 was leaking water in the shower and we were bitten by bed bugs the room was not serviced daily we had to ask for clean towels etc. patron next door had customers coming and going all hrs. of the night

Fair
    • Business King Room

Bugs Not very clean. On check in they wouldn't give me a receipt said I would receive upon check out because that's their policy. Upon check out had to argue for a receipt said they don't give receipt to anyone booking through websites. Long argument until finally receiving one

Comfortable beds

Staff and service was TERRIBLE. The room and price were fantastic.

Disliked having my pillows taken by staff and not returned, did not like having a breakfast that was just 3 cereals mixed together in a single container, did not like being accused of things I didn't do. Did not like the surprise fee of $75.95 that I had when I arrived.

Loved the size of the room and the price.

Very upsetting and stressfull
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The rooms was more then dirty they had bed bugs and they advertise a better picture then it was.the staff was hateful and very rude and they charged me more then my quote was.

WILL LIKE TO RECEIVE A NEW ROOM IN GREENSBORO N,C,BUT FREE
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

TALKED TO THE MANAGER ON MY WAY THERE TOLD HIM THAT I WAS PAYING CASH AND HE CHARGED MY CARD HAD TO DO A REVERSE.

DIDN'T EAT BREAKFAST THERE WERE NO EGGS A LOT OF CARBS TRYING TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM THERE WERE BAGELS AND SWEET ROLL

Had a very good stay at the hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

When we where in transit I call the hotel to let them know when we would be arriving. The hotel clerk told us that there was no reservation through Booking.com. When we arrive at the hotel the clerk check the computer and there was no reservation through Booking.com, we had a copy of the reservation and he gave us the same price we had made through Booking.com. Clerk said they he had problem with Booking.com not booking the reservations in there system.

Never Again!!
    • Business Double Room

My room was a non-smoking room but smelled awful with cigarette smoke. I had to go buy air freshener for the room in order to breathe. When asked to move to another room, they stated they didn't have another one. I asked to receive a refund and they refused so instead of losing $200, I had to stay. Worst experience ever!

Nasty customer service
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff was terrible checking in. Gave me such a hard time, and their system was done but yet didn't follow any instructions. The showers were dirty. Bugs crawling in the room. Service just sucked in general. Would never come back

Nothing it was a room for cheap.

If I was the owner of Howard Johnson I would take my name off of this one.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The service, cleanness, I was giving cleaning rags for wash rags when I asked for extra. We had to switch rooms the first night because the tub was broke. This was just the worst room I've ever stayed in. I didn't think a Howard Johnson was this bad wow.

Roaches, television remot didn't work, bathroom was...
    • Business Double Room

Roaches, television remot didn't work, bathroom was filthy, bed bugs, room smelled, quote given by email was $79.99, they charged me $99.99/ night!

Would not recommend
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

The staff was rude worse hotel i stayed in wasnt clean at all there was bugs in the room amd i woke up wirh bites all over my body that r getting worse tried to talk with the manager he wouldn't do anything for me

Pretty sure the maids smoked while cleaning.
    • Business King Room

Pretty sure the maids smoked while cleaning. Walls were yellow, beds extremely uncomfortable, sheets really rough. Breakfast was horrible and coffee tasted gross.

It was a great price but a crappy room.
    • Business King Room

My room smelled like cigarettes, I found roaches in my bathroom, there was only one trash can. It looked like the room hadn't been cleaned in awhile (at least deep cleaned).

The price was great.

A nasty place
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed bugs , blood on comfort and in the bathroom . Had to clean bath room myself just nasty

The person ean was good came to room checked it out help out alot

Dirty rundown room
    • Business King Room

The first room smelled like cigarettes and I requested a non smoking room so they changed our room. The room was outdated with holes in the bathroom walls. One of the pillows had a stain on it. We left as soon as we woke up in the morning.

The bed wasn't hard.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Stay away!!!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Worst hotel experience I have ever had and I have traveled extensively in the third world.

Nothing, two words, bed bugs. Can't confirm but woke up with bites and welts , management said they could give me a different room. Not worth it

Nice stay!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathtub was very slick... needs some type of safety for children

The contential breakfast helped with our 3 boys!!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

It was very average.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was very average. Very standard. It was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

I would not stay here again.
    • Business King Room

There were bugs, not bed bugs, but some kind of bugs near the sink and refrigerator area.

the Staff was pleasant.

It served the purpose for the time we were there.
    • Business King Room

The hotel itself needs to be updated.

Unfortunately the room reeked of cigarette/cigar smoke. But the bed was clean.

Nasty full of roaches

Roaches

Howard Johnson Stsy

The room smelled musty

Location and comgortable

Beds were pretty comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was dirty. The shower had hair in it. The kitchenette and vanity looked like they hadn't been cleaned.

Beds were pretty comfortable.

No pool

No pool

It was comfortable and cozy.

There was no pool.

It was comfortable and cozy.

I really like everything on my stay in Howard Johnson the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I really like everything on my stay in Howard Johnson the room was really clean and the people was really nice I really like it

Howard dissapted us

The hotel

Leaving

Clean room. Friendly staff. Room needs attention.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room needs maintance. The shower curtian was rigged up with a bar of soap.

Staff was very nice. Room was clean.

Easy to find

There was gas can in front and the smile like cigarettes

Easy to find

My stay was ok if could been a little better

The service

Nothing’s

The staff was very nice

Too noisy

The staff was very nice

It was clean and the staff was very friendly.

It was clean and the staff was very friendly.

A lot of places to eat at and the beach was only 24 minutes...

A lot of places to eat at and the beach was only 24 minutes away

Wv Family
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

To far from beach itself , no pool, frig/freezer was messed up .

Staff was wonderful

The price of the room
    • Business King Room

The shower curtain had mold on it. Everything was out dated

The price of the room

All other

Manager was good

NOTHING

EVERYTHING

NOTHING

no where near the water.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

no where near the water... in a crappy neighborhood, sketchy patrons,

Very convenient location to most of the city.

The room smelled musty, like there may have been mold under the carpet and the shower was gross.

Very convenient location to most of the city.

Bed was amazing, helped my back

Small fridge. Need freezer

Bed was amazing, helped my back

Bare minimum
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not very clean hole in bathroom door.

Staff, price and location.

Comfortable bed.
    • Business Double Room

People playing loud music. Hanging around in parking lot.

Comfortable bed. Clean room

The room was OK, but they need to fix the bathroom up...
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

The bathroom needs to be work on.

The room was OK, but they need to fix the bathroom up that's my only complaint.

Very disappointed in the stay and accommodations. Since the hotel was full they couldn't move us to

Continental breakfast was stale and space was contested.

The staff was friendly. The room was not clean, bed was hard and the bathroom leaked.

Affordable and clean

Did not have a pool.

Affordable and clean

I wouldnt recommend anyone to stay there

Nothing at all

The staff were poorly trained no houskeeping done froze my bank account

Room was in poor shape.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room was in poor shape. Bath tub didn't work properly

The check in and out processes were easy; the room was clean and comfortable.

n/a

The room was very comfortable and clean.

I booked a non-smoking room but they gave me a smoking one...

I booked a non-smoking room but they gave me a smoking one with no other choice.

Comfortable
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

It wasn’t nothing to like

Comfortable