Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Saugerties 2 stars

2764 Route 32, Saugerties, NY 12477, USA

#3 of 5 hotels in Saugerties

A little far from hiking trails, wish the pool was a little better maintained. Also wish there were a few more amenities (e.g. toothpaste)

Very clean and conveniently by the highway. Nice staff. Comfortable bed.

No towel bars in bathroom. Space in king size room is very cramped. Heating cooling unit creates major drafts. Someone kept fixing one exterior exit door so that it would not lock when closed.

Available

No pool

Very disappointed that the pool was not operable ...I visit my daughter & grand sons often & they love 2 use the pool but it was not available ...if ur web site should of notified us

the room was "tired" , ie: wallpaper was pealing in places, the toilet was wrongly placed under the vanity shelf (it interfered with opening the lid and seat). There was no TV remote, had to call the front desk for a new one. The hallway reeked of curry. And the swimming pool was "closed for maintainance".

the Young lady at the front desk was very friendly, curteous and efficient.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The heater was not working. was blowing cold air, and we were extremely cold, so much so that it was difficult to sleep!

The room was large, modern and far beyond expectation for a motel.

For starters, there was a cockroach in our bathroom. And there was a spider that made its way on to our bed. Nothing too concerning, we killed the bugs— but if the possibility of insects are a definite deal breaker for someone, then I advise to look else where.

Laundry, hdmi tv, close to hunter/windham, friendly staff, diner that’s connected. I always stay at this hotel when I’m going skiing, and thus far it’s been very convenient. Also, the pool and sauna are a very nice touch.

I would not change anything. It was excellent.

The hotel room was very clean and updated. The mattress was excellent and pillows and bedding were top quality. I would definitely stay here again. Bathroom was modern and clean. Hotel was very quiet and relaxing. Pool area was very clean as well.

The gap at the top of the door. let in noise. Resautraunt was not good. No bar. a little noisy by the thruway and the heater ac unit made noise when it shut down.

It was the best price i could get. Location was good.

There was one tile in the bathroom that needed to be replaced it looked like it was wet, other than that everything was perfect.

Every time I visit New York I only go to Howard Johnson. The staff is always nice,the rooms are always great, the beds are always so comfortable and the prices are always the best.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom drain for shower backed up and left standing water badly.

Bed very comfortable and clean, room clean. Bathroom drain for shower backed up and left standing water badly. Young woman working at front desk at check in was outstandingly good at her job, efficient, pleasant. Man at desk in morning was helpful and cheerful. Anyone I talked on phone very nice.

Not the pace to come back again. The rooms are not very clean. The smell from the diner attached to the hotel is very bad. The price for one night is equivalent for a 4 star hotel and this is at the best a 2 star one

Nothing even if I really try hard to think of something good

Pillows were very soft, felt like we were sleeping on a marshmellow. I found a bug on the top of my bed sheet, which gave me the creeps. The shower had hair in it, which didn't belong to me or my husband before we even took a shower. I felt I spent too much for what i got. Simuliar hotels/inns, etc, , offer free continental breakfast. Even though there is a diner attached to the Howard Johnson it wasn't that good.

Location was good, had rooms on first floor so we didn't have to carry luggage upstairs.

Everything was shabby and unkempt. Glass doors needs to be cleaned, not left smeared with fingerprints. Hallways need to be vacuumed. Pool area needed to be cleaned and there was green mold (perhaps) on the ceiling. The room smelled of a strong chemical odor. We did not ask for another room because we assumed they all smelled the same. Luckily, the window opened so we could get fresh air in to help with the odor. Room was small but bathroom large. Location facing the Thruway left much to be desired.

Nice pool and sauna.

Room could have been cleaner. Obvious dirt and debry on edge of carpet. Had to change room due to water issue. But rest of room was clean. Somewhat outdated

Close to area we were visiting.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very thin walls. We could hear conversation and TV from the next room. Also the entrance door near our room was completely unsecured. It should require the hotel card key for access. The rate seemed a bit high for the type of hotel and amenities (no breakfast or fitness center), particularly on a Sunday night.

Friendly staff, easy to get to and park. The pool looked nice and clean but we didn't get a chance to try it.

Front desk clerk had a daughter with her. The little girl kept talking to her mother & the mother kept answering her, so our check in took so long. Need new sheets!! Very pilly.

Very clean room. Updated. Close to highway.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

People in room next door were very loud yelling and using profanity. Refrigerator and microwave did not work.

Staff was friendly and efficient Bedding was very comfortable

The room where very clean, and plenty of good towels

The staff: They where very friendly: especially Nicole she help with some issue very professionally

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The smelly hallway (like food). The swimming pool area needs complete update, looked like an outdoor pool that hadn't been cleaned, unusable. A lot of truckers stay here so they're outside smoking and their trucks are parked all night sometimes with the motor running. Way too expensive for the quality. You can find a better hotel for the same price in Kingston if you book early enough. Next to highway.

Separate entrance close to room. Two beds.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

toilet bowl seat wouldn't stay up. I had to hold it up so I could use it. they build the bathroom vanity to far out so when you put the seat up it doesn't stay in place. Also the interstate traffic could be heard which was a little distraction while trying to sleep.

everything a business traveler would need.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

The WiFi, while available, was not reliable.

Staff was great, room was clean, even came with a microwave which was great. The pool was the perfect temperature.

After leaving, I was charged a $50 smoking fee, despite the fact that neither my husband or I have ever smoked in our entire lives. I tried contacting the hotel to get the charge refunded but conveniently the manager was never available and despite leaving messages, my phone calls were never returned. My husband and I were excited to find a decent hotel near the mountain and stayed there a few times without a problem but never again.

Convenient to the highway and Hunter Mtn. Room was clean and bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The heat was not on when we arrived (it was late in the evening), so the bedroom was really cold. The heater is very noisy, what makes difficult to sleep. The staff didn't allow my children using the swimming pool, that was one of their travel dreams. Prices have raised a lot since last year, and facilities are the same.

Location, and breakfast at the diner inside of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was dirty They advertised free breakfast which was a big inconvenience for our trip, we were time limited and would have helped tremendously

The beds were comfortable

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was freezing, no lights in the entryway of the room, missing light bulbs in lamps. The room was about 50 degrees and it took over 2 hours to even begin to get warm.

The location...right off the thruway.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were supposed to have two rooms, each with two beds. Instead we got two rooms, each with one bed. The staff at the hotel were rude and unaccommodating, and attempting to find a resolution with booking.com has been even more frustrating.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Sink was clogged. Found out while brushing teeth. No time to call desk, and really, should i have. Shouldn't the rooms be checked. When the sink w as cleaned, the maid had to know.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The person at the desk was very serious. Even when I called ahead he didn't react to any comment that I made. He was efficient but needed to be friendlier. A smile goes a long way.

This was an older building but everything was clean. We were only there 1 nite so I really can't rate our stay more than this

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

On the road, trucks going by early morning hours

Perfect location, welcoming front desk staff, washing machine and dryer on coins-a life savior on a long trip!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room and facilities were fine - nothing special, but more than adequate for our needs. We didn't try the pool, but it looked nice. Right next to highway, but we didn't find it noisy. Very convenient.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The front desk person had no personality. When I called about a tv issue he responded with "it worked the other day and I can't help until maintenance comes as I am the only person here." I also learned that rooms were remodeled and were the same price I paid for an old room, not right at all!

Bed and pillows and the blanket were great

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Hotel is very old. Not enough light in room or electrical outlets. Hotel hallways always smelled from the attached diner kitchen exhaust. Bathrooms are so old, poorly lit with terrible shower controls & head. Definitely was expecting more updated amenities

Room was clean & bed was comfortable. Room was very quiet. Very easy to get to all attractions

This place is just VERY outdated and tired. Needs a complete redo. The entrances and hallway smell very old and unpleasant. And IMHO I feel that when you are paying these prices you should have breakfast. Also no work out room.

Room was sufficiently clean. I felt safe. When my TV did not work upon arrival they moved me to another room, no problems there.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The cleanliness of the room could have been better. Although our room had just been cleaned, the shower was not wiped down (evident of the fly I had swatted that morning) and the coffee pot had not been cleaned out.

The location of the property was excellent- right off the highway and five minutes from the village shops!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Charged me $10 for a rollaway for my son to sleep on, the room smelled musty, the fridge wasn't cold, the phone didn't even work to call the front desk so I had to walk all the way down there everytime I needed something (I am 2 weeks away from having a baby) I feel like $200 was too much for one night.

They had a pool. And a washer/dryer area so I didn't have to take wet swim clothes home. (For a fee of 1.75)

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very dated, did not feel clean. Blood stains on the bedding, mold and mildew in the bathroom, nothing made you comfortable about the room and for $200, no value.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Bathtub was full of water from the previous guests. Asked to have it cleaned...person showed up 1.5 hours later. We cleaned ourselves before they arrived. The AC didn't work and had to be fixed. It was 90 degrees out with a humidity index of 104. The cable, phone and internet systems were all out during our entire stay (due to a thunderstorm). Staff was overwhelmed, cold and indifferent. I didn't even have time during check out process to discuss the issues because the front desk with overwhelmed with people checking out at the same time. Top 5 worst hotel experience of my life...and I'm a travel agent.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Room description specified 3 maximum occupancy...only one bed..necessitated paying for a roll away. Should have included bed for third person or at least a fold out couch in the room

Liked indoor swimming pool & restaurant had a breakfast buffet with good choices.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

More supplies for the decaf coffee. When I checked in I was told the restaurant was open until 10. In fact the menu said it was open until 12, but there was only one other customer and I had to hunt for the waitress. Not their fault no one comes, but I just ordered a quick sandwich and was glad it was still open at all.

No eggs. I don't know what you are talking about. Bed was fine. I like a very firm bed but most people don't. Nice to have fridge and coffee maker there.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

The hotel is right off the Thruway and you could hear the noise from the highway. The breakfast at the diner connected to the hotel was tasteless.

The room had a comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Did not put the rollaway bed in room. When I asked them to, night staff said they neither had a key nor any other rooms. After asking him if he expected 3 people to share the king bed, he came up with a room with two double beds. So we had to pack up and move.

Bed and pillows were comfortable Location is good.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

no elevator to second floor, no breakfast included

Large, comfy room, very good air conditioning Mountain view on west side, comfortable beds, refrigerator, pool

Everything was great and the hotel was so close to the thruway. Great choice to spend a night.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Could be cleaner, but not bad.

Adequate facility, great location close to Hits. Comfortable beds.

cleanness

The mattresses a really comfortable

The beds are very comfortable

Pillows were cheap

Staff was great

Pool was closed.

Location, cleanness, staff.

Pool wasn’t open

Location and price

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Clean, well kept, quiet but welcoming. Will definately stay there again

It was OK, but not great.

It was a good room for the price. Having a diner on site was helpful.

Advertised indoor pool and of course, sign posted that doing pool maintenance. Room facing highway, and very noisy.

i stayed here before and went again, very nice restaurant attached to hotel, good food

No towel bars.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Pool needs more light and a hot tub. Otherwise good.

The restaurant was quite good. Breakfast and dinner.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds are really comfortable.

Clean and cozy. Front desk people were super nice .

Great beds, very clean room

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

False advertising of breakfast included.....unless you consider water downed coffe as a meal

The toilet seat was visibly dirty

That the brakefast wasn’t included

Location, price, easy

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The pool needs to be updated.

Comfortable beds

Dead roach, no heat on arrival, old property

The restaurant!

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Toiletries could be upgraded.

Property nicely rehabbed since last visit. Good value.

Clean building with friendly staff.

The TV did not have the VH1 channel

The cleanliness of the room and the comfortable bed

Very basic and old fashioned building. Hallway seemed a bit dreary.

The bed was big with attractive bedding.

no restaurant or bar

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Extremely friendly staff. Extra large room. Great value.

The leaking selling in the bathroom, The noisy room, The hairs in the bathtub. The missing soap.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

hallway smelled. Rugs were old. Beds were hard.

Staff was very friendly. Location was good for why I was there

No free breakfast